Speaker 1: Are you ready? Good pickup with Britt Hockley and Laura.
Speaker 2: Burn Radio work, our windows, my wa rison the dust only good babs An, I don't much, but yeah, I'm o't and what I want.
Speaker 1: It don't matter where. This is the pickup, Hi, guys, it's the pickup with Britt Hackley and Laura Benday.
Speaker 3: It would be rude of us not to talk about the fact that Lady Gaga has just announced she's coming to Australia on her Mayhem Ball tour.
Speaker 1: Very exciting, isn't it? It is exciting.
Speaker 3: Do you know what we mainly knew about this because producer Grace.
Speaker 1: Is like she's so excited, like so excited. If Grace said I will buy tickets, I Am not going to just try and get them through radio. I will buy them, buy the get them through radio.
Speaker 4: No, I will be there front of the line. Paus up, little monster, ready to buy these tickets.
Speaker 1: We're all monster ready?
Speaker 3: I love the reference or hang on before we get into it. She is coming to Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne. Tickets are on sale April seventeen. Are you one of these people that are going to have like fifty computers open at once and all the websites to try and get the tickets.
Speaker 1: Are you camping outside to get a good spot?
Speaker 4: Don't know, because I'm not a concert person. Because the idea of buying tickets really stresses.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this to me, like I'm excited, but this makes me feel stressed.
Speaker 4: Yes, so I think I'm gonna have to try have all the like a spy, have all the screens.
Speaker 1: Yes, you work in radio, surely there is some perks to this job, do.
Speaker 5: You know what?
Speaker 1: Surely?
Speaker 3: No, I'm gonna put this to bed right now, because I get asked all the time. The number of people that ask me if I could hook them up tickets to Taylor Swift when she was here. The post office man asked me, He's like, okay, my daughter loves Taylor Swift.
Speaker 1: I'm like, bro, I can't get tickets.
Speaker 3: People think that when you're in radio it's like a frenzy free for all.
Speaker 1: This absolutely not. Some of the tickets are off there. I had to. I bought my ticket's secondhand by someone who was like scalping themis And also, if.
Speaker 3: We do get tickets given to us, like if the radio gets them allocated, not to throw the bosses under the bas but the bosses take them.
Speaker 1: We don't get them. I don't know if they do. They do, I've I've seen them in the suits. I know that they're taking them.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 1: Well, look those tickets are on sale April seventeen.
Speaker 3: So the last few days we've been talking about Laura's renovation. You've been renovating this house for the best part of nine months, and.
Speaker 1: In case you're curious, it looks amazing. Everyone's been so supportive and they've said, Wow, what a beautiful, eclectic bathroom and kitchen you've so meticulously and thoughtfully renovated.
Speaker 3: Okay, that could be further from the truth. No, some people have said that. But if you have missed it, we've been talking about the fact that Laura has been.
Speaker 1: Gainst some pretty harsh criticism online.
Speaker 3: There's been some trolls that have been coming for you with very honest feedback.
Speaker 1: And yesterday I read out some of the comments that we've received. This is what people had to say. She wrote, love that for you. You were being stubborn with your style. I just don't understand how it works though it's ugly. Oh my god, that marble is hideous. Ah, well, you would be ripped to pieces by SHANEA. Blaze. It's a no from me too. Someone wrote, you didn't pay me to stay here, and I was like, you'll never get to stay here. It's okay, Sharon, You're not invited. This was about the kitchen reveal better than your crap bathroom.
Speaker 2: Do you know?
Speaker 1: Someone wrote last night you couldn't pay me to shit in this bathroom and I was like, oh, we've reached a whole new low. Guys, leave me alone.
Speaker 3: Also, why do these people think they're invited to shit in the bar?
Speaker 1: I'm not paying you to do that in my bathroom. Okay.
Speaker 3: There have been some people that have also given you positive feedback as well, but likes funny.
Speaker 1: The trolls have been coming. But I did want to put this to bed, so I.
Speaker 3: Have contacted I slid into the dams the block judge and interior designer Darren Palmer. I have sent him photos of your house. He has been reviewing them overnight. I think he stayed up all night with his monocle, making sure he looked at every detail.
Speaker 1: He's gonna score me, He's going to score you.
Speaker 4: He's on the line.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the pickup Darren.
Speaker 5: I don't know what sort of judge you think I am. I don't work from the Supreme Court. I work on the Telly and I tell people where they're stuff is good or not. You've missed a few of those great quotes. By the way, there's like you two had a stroke watching this. I love that one.
Speaker 1: That was a good one.
Speaker 5: I love you guys, but I hate this was the first. This one I particularly like, Oh, it's getting worse.
Speaker 1: I think I wrote back to that one and said, no, this is us at our peak, at the kitchen's peak.
Speaker 5: I thought that was a cracking response.
Speaker 1: It's very funny. So you've been reviewing the photos, Darren, Darren, let me be honest, you would know this. I had never understood, or had no concept of how much anterior design makes people angry. They're so polarized by it.
Speaker 5: Yes, that is exactly right. The thing is, and you touched on it yourself in the comments, which I commend you for. Is you really have to think about when you're doing a house, why are you doing it? And are you doing it to sell it to a market? Are you doing it to satisfy yourselves and to live in for the next five, ten, fifteen years, or as you said, you'll have to by the keys out of my cold dead hand.
Speaker 1: Darren, can I tell you the theme for the house? So it's a holiday house? And I said, I just want it to be fun and I want everyone to walk in into it and feel that they're on holidays.
Speaker 5: You've done exactly that. This must be super peaky for you to be like, Okay, let's ask an expert on what they think on my hard work that I've just completed. I speaking of someone who's just finished a renovation that took me two years and where everything is basically beige.
Speaker 1: That's like my dream. I do like the marble you have in your house, though, Darren, don't worry. I've seen it. It's a beautiful renovation. No one's doubting that.
Speaker 5: Well, thank you. I appreciate that. But the point is, I think a lot of people feel really comfortable with neutral palettes, and a lot of people feel comfortable with what they've seen before. But at the end of the day, you are designing a home that is for you guys to enjoy, and also you wanted to create a feeling and a mood of fun and holiday and get away and like, honestly, your house isn't a normal looking house from the outside. It's interesting, you know, it's got all those different shapes and it's a really great word. I love it well. As my Nana says, if I feed its something that's a little bit too flavorous and she goes, oh, that's different. Different means bad, But in this case, it doesn't. It just means it's different. And I think if you put a normal, predictable, you know, ampt and style, coastal interior in this house, it just wouldn't fit the exterior. So I reckon the person that's loving the exterior of your house will find a lot of joy on the interior of your house.
Speaker 3: Let's go to the first room, which is the bathroom, Darren, can you describe that and let us know what you think.
Speaker 5: Look, risks have been taken, and I think the things I love are the natural zone. I think it's beautiful. I really love the subway tiles in the stripe pattern. I think that's gorgeous. I really love the mirror. Now I do have notes. Do you want notes?
Speaker 1: I'm ready?
Speaker 5: Yeah. The bath, No bath took me through that decision.
Speaker 1: You couldn't fit it. You couldn't fit a bath.
Speaker 3: Not good choice for resale value. But I guess if you're not resailing.
Speaker 1: Then we talked about it a lot. It was a sacrifice. We were like, if we're gonna if we're gonna make it have space, it's going to have no bath. Otherwise the bath would have been one of those pokey little half baths. And I was like, who wants to sit in a half bath? A child?
Speaker 5: Nobody but your kids or your pets. That's what it's useful for.
Speaker 1: No pets, so good to wash with a shower handle. I refuse that getting a dog into I've got a forty kilo dog expert on. I'm sorry, I'm trying to convince that the thought process here, Okay, I've.
Speaker 5: Got one other note. It's the placement of your basin, particularly the tap in relation to that wall scumps. That distance seems little tie in that you kind of feel like that may be close to your face when you're going to use the tap. I would have bumped it away from the wall a little bit. I get where you've got lots of counterspace. I understand it's nice to spread everything out, especially if you don't have face level storage. Face level storage is also a really nice inclusion. But I love your mirror, so you've got heaps of storage underneath. I'm not too bothered by that.
Speaker 1: Great, I'm loving these. I feel validated.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so out of ten, I would give you a solid nine functionality.
Speaker 1: Take you that, so that and carry a side.
Speaker 5: Yeah, actually, maybe the bath to go half a point off.
Speaker 1: I reckon, you've got to knock a couple off for the bath. I know the bath was very enraging for some people. All right, we'll move to the kitchen. Now. The kitchen's also been controversial.
Speaker 5: So the kitchen. Did you get your color inspiration from your old laundry?
Speaker 1: Yes, we wanted to keep same colors, similar theme, but we wanted it to feel like it was more modern, maximimalist. That was kind of the thing we were going for.
Speaker 5: I'll tell you what, if it ain't broke, don't fix it right. Your lay out work before it works. Now, very fond of the tiles on the floor. And is it a pantry inside with a beautiful stone. Yes, yeah, you need more powerpoints in there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. We also have sliding doors so that it didn't just stay with the doors open. But that was also, Look first time.
Speaker 5: You know what, how many times have you done this? None? You're doing great. It's not easy, right, Like people think that it's really easy to create something from your mind and to just to design, and it's not. It's actually tricky, And it's even trickier when everybody and their dog decides that they have the ability to criticize your hard work online. You did ask for it, and you are asking for it again. I'm going to point it out so it doesn't hurt the people talk about it.
Speaker 1: It's true. Also, I kind of love how angry people get it about it, because you do love it. I just want to because I want to see their homes too. I want to, you know, when people get so angry, I want to see Sharon's homes. No I do. I'm like, well, clearly you must live in a palace if you're going to get so cranky. But anyway, I feel like it's never gonna all right, hang on, let's wrap this up. We need what I scoring in the kitchen.
Speaker 5: Look, I think it's a cracker. I think it's beautiful, absolutely gorgeous. So I love what you're doing, Laura.
Speaker 1: I was expecting more meanness. Thank you. I am going to cut this down.
Speaker 5: I get to the wrong person. Although I did see that you'll get ripped to pieces by Shane and Blaze, so you probably should speak to her, do you reckon?
Speaker 1: She would rip me to pieces. She's at next. Let's get her next.
Speaker 5: I know her very well.
Speaker 1: You'll just have to see, all right, Darren, thank you so much. I'm very pleasantly surprised. I can't wait to tag every single person who left me in comment.
Speaker 5: Hey, you're so welcome. That was fun.
Speaker 3: Okay, So I want to talk about White Lotus now. Before or we get into it, I want to say this is no spoilers about the show. It was the finale this week, but we are not talking about the show itself.
Speaker 1: I haven't seen it yet, so I can't spoil anything for you.
Speaker 3: Yeahs, No, what I wanted to talk about was something that I thought was really interesting. It's a really interesting pay conversation that has come off the back of White Loaders. Now, HBO has come out and said that all of the White Loadus stars are paid the exact same amount.
Speaker 1: So what this means is it doesn't matter if you are a veteran actor.
Speaker 3: It doesn't matter if you are the George Cloonies or the Brad Pitts, or in this case, Woody Harrelson. And I say that because Woody Harrelson originally signed on to play a cast member, a main cast member.
Speaker 1: The reason he.
Speaker 3: Didn't do it is because he ended up being cast in another show. But he negotiated his salary all the way to the CEO of HBO. He was saying, like, there's no way I'm doing it for forty K. And they didn't even budge for him. They were like, every single actor, if it's your first ever acting job or it's your one hundred acting job, is going to be the same.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: It started a really interesting conversation because there are a lot of people saying, wow, this is setting the standard for the future of acting. Do we think every actor should sign on and be paid equal?
Speaker 1: Because what it.
Speaker 3: Means is and Mike White, the director HBO CEO, has come out saying, it means you're getting people sign on for the right reason. It's not a money grab for them. They're not just doing it to put money in their pocket. They're saying, hey, I actually feel so strongly about this project.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I mean it's a job. It's like coming to work in a radio network. Here we go and being the number one show in all the country and saying, but you shouldn't ask for a big salary, because you should do it for the joy of creating content. I guess my thing is if an actor has a proven track record, they've started in many films, they are a more experienced actor. They also have the recall, like people want to see them. They're the ones who are the stars that are bringing in the viewership. Then I would say that they deserve to be paid more. I think that it's like you earn your stripes in any industry, and the more experienced you are, the more you get paid. I agree with you.
Speaker 3: So the producer David Bernard said, everyone is treated the same on White Lotus. They get paid the same. We do alphabetical billing. So you're getting people who want to do the project for the right reasons. Not to quote The Bachelor, it's a system we developed in the first season because there was no money to make the show. So I understand how it started, and I guess I understand why there are people that are for it, But personally, how can you say to somebody that has twenty years experience, trained experience that bring in big dollars.
Speaker 1: They're bringing viewership.
Speaker 3: How can you say that you don't deserve anything more than somebody that might be quote unquote a new grad.
Speaker 1: Here's my question, what's the name of the guy who makes it? The creator, Mike White? Is Mike White earning the same amount for this series is what he did for the first series? Because I mean, highly unlikely. But that's the thing. If it's based on this altruistic want to just like create a great film, I know that they created a system in the first place. The series wasn't worth anything with the first season. They didn't know how it was going to go. So benchmarking a huge blockbuster that has now in its third season off the projected success of something that didn't exist. I think that they're just like money gouging. The people who are creating the film are making more money. They're putting it all in their own pockets. It's not going back to charities, like, it's not going back to anything except HBO. I think it's crap.
Speaker 3: I don't like it because you've seen it happening in other industries, especially in entertainment. This kind of thing happens a lot, like not just the movie making, but all aspects of entertainment. There's always this overlying or underlying threat that well, if you don't do it, even though you're worth more, if you don't do it, someone's going to do it for less.
Speaker 1: There's someone else is going to take it. So you take this low paying salary or not totally. It's the same with any industry. I mean you look at photographers, you look at graphic designers, any creative industry. People are expected to do their craft for not enough pay. And it's because, like, people can love their jobs, but they should be remunerated for what they bring to that job. And I think this is just a very very sneaky way of them being able to go, oh, we only want people who are excited about white loaders while making the maximounter of profits the show as possible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And if you compare it to remember Friends, for example, so like if they did this eight episode season, they will get about five hundred and thirty thousand Australian dollars total, which is a great summer money.
Speaker 1: Per cast member. Yeah, per cast member for the whole season.
Speaker 3: When you think of Friends, they used to get a million dollars each per episode. Having said that, would I do for forty thousand dollars?
Speaker 1: Absolutely, You're like, I would do it for free. I will pay them. But also, you're not no offense on well, you're not a huge movie star who can demand the highest pay. You would be on the lowest end of the spectrum because it's a new thing, all right, man, Yeah, I'm just wanted to clean that up.
Speaker 3: Well, I would negotiate it to forty two