Speaker 1: Hooked, Hitched and hung up acknowledges the traditional custodians of country throughout Australia and their connections to land, sea and community. We pay our respect to their elders past and present and extend that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples today.
Speaker 2: This episode was recorded on Wella Medical Land.
Speaker 1: All right, folks, hold on, I know I said that was going to be the last act of the night, but you know.
Speaker 2: How we do it here. This ain't your average comedy club, that's right, ladies, and Jens are very special.
Speaker 1: Friend of the club is dropped by tonight to share some new material he's been working on. Give it up for billionaire tech mogul and wanna be comedian e Long Musk.
Speaker 2: Thanks guys, wow, thank you. Really, it's an honor. You know, I'm a lucky guy, what with Tesla's SpaceX and being the richest person on the entire planet and all that. But if there's one thing that's missing in my life, well it's the fact that people don't see me as a real comedian. But hopefully I can change that tonight. What do you think? Thank you? Thank you. Well, let me start off with one that I have been mulling over for a little while. Now, what do you get when you cross eighteenth century art with killer robots? Rococo Basalisk? Get it Rococo Basalisk as in Roco's Basilisk. You know, the artificial intelligence thought experiment, but it's Rococo like the art movement. Nobody gets me, No, no I gets you. So this seems ridiculous, and I'm sure everyone's.
Speaker 1: Thinking, what are you guys talking about? But this joke, if you can even call it a joke, but I've google, I still don't actually understand it. It's something to do with artificial intelligence tied with this big art movement. There is apparently if you're in that world, there is a funny joking.
Speaker 2: Now I still can't see it. But this joke is what started.
Speaker 1: The most unexpected relationship of all time. Well, what I think is the most unexpected relationship of all time. This is the relationship between tech billionaire Elon Musk and experimental electronic musician Grimes Britt.
Speaker 2: Even with you explaining the joke, I still don't understand the joke.
Speaker 1: I watched like a twenty minute documentary and I couldn't find I couldn't.
Speaker 2: Figure out I'm Britt and I'm Laura. This is hooked, hitched, and hung up.
Speaker 1: Hey guys, just a quick heads up. This episode contains a brief mention of suicide, sexual assault, and occasional spicy language. All right, Laura, I am coming to you with probably one of the weirdest, most wild, most convoluted, and far fet relationships in the public space in a long time.
Speaker 2: I mean, we've already covered a few of them, so I know, and I think it just gets more wild and wild.
Speaker 1: But this has got to be the wildest, and I guess because it's still pretty current. I am talking today about Elon Musk and Grimes.
Speaker 2: I feel like their relationship is wildly famous, but no one knows any details.
Speaker 1: Elon fascinates me. He's so giving. Okay, He's given so much money. I'm talking billions to charity. He's so so generous. He's like the modern day superhero. Someone tweets him and says, Elon Musk, our country has this problem, help and he's literally there to save the day the next day.
Speaker 2: He's the modern day superhero. I think this is so interesting that you say that, though, because like he is the type of billionaire that goes beyond billionaire. He is so stinking rich, like so stinking rich that nobody could ever comprehend how stinking rich he is. So when you say he's really generous, I've read something that he'd only given like two percent of his combined wealth to charity, which I know is billions of dollars. It's still like six billion dollars, but it's only two percent of the money that he has. So when you say he's so generous, I'm like, mate, two percent if that would be like you or I, you know, giving one thousand dollars or one hundred dollars, whatever it is. And then people being like, she is so generous.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he pays like thirty billion dollars a year in tax.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good, so we should Okay, so we know what side of the fence law is off. You're gonna make cars, you better pay for those roads. It is also, okay.
Speaker 1: The reason people love him so much, and the reason that I loved him so much, even though he's controversial, I originally loved him so much because he's self made. And now when I say self made, it's not like he had a rags to riches story. He was born and raised in South Africa. His mum was this beautiful model and his dad was an engineer by trade. But his dad was very successful in his own right, Like he owned half an emerald Mind in Zambia. He owned a bunch of other things. He didn't grow up poor, but he did make his money on his own.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm sure having an emerald mind was helpful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely helps you on the dark days. So Elon went to university in America. He got a double degree in economics and physics. He's definitely no dummy. After that, he started a PhD at Stanford University. But this wasn't as successful as his original university degree, so he dropped out after two days and he started a company Zip two. After he sold Zip too, he began another company that would eventually merge with PayPal. And of course we know that he went and did Tesla, the electric car company.
Speaker 2: He did SpaceX. He got this big rocket company. He's sending rockets everywhere because.
Speaker 1: This company, he plans to start a new civilization on Mars. Like, if you were trying to start a new civilization on Mars, you've got too much money.
Speaker 2: Elon a mask is worth more than two hundred billion dollars. Yeah, like way more, which I think is why when you think about the percentage that he's given to charity, six billion dollars really isn't that much money. It's a piss in the ocean, Ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 1: I'm on the fence with him because I'm on one hand. I'm like, you are an incredible human. You're using your brain for a lot of good. You're using your money for a lot of good. Then he'll go and say something so stupid online. I'm like, man, you're really ruining this for me.
Speaker 2: So I feel like everyone knows a little bit about Elon Musk, even if it's just surface level stuff, But tell me a little bit more about Grimes.
Speaker 1: Grimes is one of those people that, to be honest, you know the name, you know that she was a little bit weird, bit of a weird artist, but you don't know anything about it.
Speaker 2: I didn't know anything about it. Her music was not for me.
Speaker 1: She's very eccentric, and I don't actually know what she looks like because she's always dressed up in so many costumes, eccentric makeup, different colored hair, She could walk past me on the street.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't know who. She's literally a walking Instagram filter. Grimes's real name. It is not Grimes.
Speaker 1: Her name is Claire Bouchet, but she now refers to herself just as C and not a capital C, not a bold sea, a little small italic sea. She comes from really strict parents. She's very, very smart. They're a very intellectual family. Her mother was a Crown prosecutor and her father was an investment banker. He now is in the business side biotech, so he I guess he has that.
Speaker 2: Kind of an interest.
Speaker 1: Her childhood was pretty I mean pretty standard, pretty nerdy.
Speaker 2: I did read that her dad used to read to her when she was a toddler. Lord of the Rings. Now, let me tell you, as a mother of a toddler, I'm lucky if I can get halfway through ABCD.
Speaker 1: She grew up reading sci fi books, so I guess, I guess this is that thing. Is this like nature versus nurture? Do you think that she got into this world because of the influence of her father reading her sci fi books as a child, like she had that was her only option, But I think BAMBI.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I think it also just goes to show that she's a genius. The things that she was exposed to and things that she was opting into as a very little child, it makes it so obvious that she is like a completely left a field genius child.
Speaker 1: She's on a different level. She was really badly bullied at school. There was a lot of bitch and slut being written on her lockers, and she said she had a really hard time there. Fast forward to two thousand and six, she went to study neuroscience and philosophy with a double minor in Russian language and psychoacoustics. Now I know what you're gonna ask me, Laura, what is psycho acoustics?
Speaker 2: I mean, I know, I know exactly what that is.
Speaker 1: Of course, it's the study of our psychological response to certain sounds. I still don't know why anybody would want to study this.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think it's really interesting because sound can it's so emotive. I mean, it's not something that I would want to dedicate nine years of study two but it's very interesting.
Speaker 1: Because of this really weird degree that she's doing psychoacoustics, she had to learn how to use logic and garage bands, so garage band. I mean, everyone knows that I was on the Apple computer. You know, it's like it's like a music editor. Yeah, she had to learn how to use that.
Speaker 2: It's almost like her music career was just like this little sidekick hobby. And she was there doing like quite a very intensely academic degree. Whereas you think, like most people who become famous for music or like really get into that sort of like superstar role, it's because they've dedicated their whole life to being a musician. And she's just like, yeah, I learned garage band on the side.
Speaker 1: Yeah, She's like, I'm so smart, and now I'm bored and I'm learning garage band and now I'm grime.
Speaker 2: And that was it. That was how Grahams was born.
Speaker 1: That was literally she stumbled across it at university in a completely different degree. A friend got her to sing backups. She wasn't too bad, she learned how to do it. She thought she was good at she started gramps.
Speaker 2: Okay, so that all sounds very I mean, as much as it's a bit of a different way of getting into music, it all sounds very mainstream. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So she created two albums that didn't really you had to be very very in the underground world to know who she was and what she was doing. But her third album, she says that she pretty much just like locked herself away, did drugs for seven to ten days, did the whole album in a total of like three weeks, and wrote a killer album, and that is what put her on.
Speaker 2: The radar of the world. This is literally she wrote, I blacked out the windows and did tons of amphetamines. What are time to be alive? Hey?
Speaker 1: But the third album she called it, she actually named it Visions, which is probably because for three weeks she was on amphetamines with.
Speaker 2: The curts closed and knows what kind of visions she was having.
Speaker 1: But yeah, this is literally what put her on the world's radar. But one of the singles from the album is called Oblivion. It was one of Grimes's most personal songs, and I guess it's a defining moment of Grimes and who she was. And she's pretty opening this sense about telling the world things that happened to her. She says, this song is about being violently assaulted and it made me crazy for a few years. I got really paranoid walking around at night and started feeling really unsafe. The song is more about empowering myself physically amongst a masculine power and the hate of feeling powerless, making light of masculine physical power, making it jovial and non threatening. I took a typically violent cultural situation and made it pop and happy. She starts to speak very openly about issues she has had with violence and men in the past, and the reason that when she gets together with Elon Musk down the track, the reason people are a bit confused about it, especially her superfans, is because people are like, well, he's a bit of a misogynist. He's made all these comments in the past about women and about pronouns and his use of pronouns and grimes.
Speaker 2: Whilst she doesn't.
Speaker 1: Say that she goes by they or them, she still says that she can be referred to as as she and her, but she wishes no one had to have pronouns, and she's very vocal about that as well.
Speaker 2: So it almost seems like contradictory, especially when you have somebody in who is a bit underground and people are like so invested in them because they feel so seen, because maybe they're a little bit of alternate, and then they've found like they're Queen Bee who's different in the same way that they are different to Then when she matches up with Elon to kind of feel a bit almost betrayed, like it doesn't match up, it doesn't make sense to them. And I do remember that when that relationship went public, there was like people were so confused by it.
Speaker 1: But Grimes, after she released her third album, she became very popular. She released her fourth album, which is called Art Angels, that came out in twenty fifteen, and that has actually been aimed as one of the top five hundred albums of all time.
Speaker 2: And I still don't understand that. I know, I've never heard a song of it neither, but there must be some neither, there's some people who are listening. They're all underground.
Speaker 1: This is where she comes a bit more mainstream. So we see her at Glastonbury, She's going to his awards ceremony. She's starting to wear Chanelle, she's starting to sew.
Speaker 2: Coming pop star. She's becoming a pop star.
Speaker 1: She's transitioning from the basement to a bonifid pop star. Well, let's talk about how they even met, because how does a tech billionaire on one side of the world meet somebody like Grimes, who is this like underground music wizard.
Speaker 2: And I think it has something to do with Rococo whatever that is.
Speaker 1: So I actually love the way they met. Believe it or not, Elon Musk one day came up with this joke about Rococo basilisk that we just talked about a little bit earlier that none of us still understand. He came up with this joke in his head and he's like, this is brilliant. I wonder before I tweet it if anyone has ever come up with this joke before.
Speaker 2: I better do my due diligence and check.
Speaker 1: Because you don't want to go and post something that you say you've just thought of it and someone else has posted it.
Speaker 2: So he jumps onto Twitter does a little search.
Speaker 1: To see if anyone has ever made this joke, this pun, and one person in the world had tweeted it. One person had come up with it, and believe it or not, it was Grimes. So somewhere on the other side of the world, probably locked up while she's doing drugs, Crimes has come up with this pun on her own and she's tweeted it. He's like, wow, I can't believe anyone else in the world is as smart as me.
Speaker 2: I'm going to DMA. Don't you love that? Like for all the rest of us when we hear those two words together and we're like, what the fuck are they talking about? He's getting a bone eye. He's like, this is me done. And they have like some weird little secret language and thing that's going on that they can both understand on a level that none of us can relate to. I mean, I wonder if there's anyone listening to this podcast he's like, oh, yeah, I know what that is. I get it. It probably heaps feels fast.
Speaker 1: I tell you what, if there's anything that's going to make you feel bumb, it's doing the research on Elon Musk for me to bring today else like, I don't know how I'm gonna do this episode. These are the two smartest humans in the world.
Speaker 2: You get, the dumber you get, you're like, oh, that's where I am in life. I actually can't tell you.
Speaker 1: During this research, I googled more words than I have ev googled because I didn't know a what they meant or b how to pronounce them. Just things that Elon has said in passing and I'm like, I better just quickly search that one.
Speaker 2: Anyway, the research took me like three weeks.
Speaker 1: The world first sees Grimes and Elon must together.
Speaker 2: They turn up to.
Speaker 1: The met Gala together, that big fashion event, just the who's who. They turn up there together, and that is where the world goes, what the actual fuck?
Speaker 2: I mean, I do remember these photos from the met Gala. They look like polar opposites. They look like they should not be together, but also like, what a perfect time and a perfect like costume opportunity to be together. Like if anything's ever gonna suit Grimes's vibe, it's rocking up at the met Gala. She'd like that was what she would probably wear on a normal Tuesday, But she did actually get to wear it at the met Gala and didn't look out of place. And I think like nobody was ex expecting their relationship at all. That's what kind of took everyone by such surprise. I mean, in retrospect, we know about this joke and this Twitter thing that went on, but like at the time, everyone was like, I'm sorry, how do you even know each other?
Speaker 1: So they've turned out to the Mechala, the world has gone crazy. And the tweets are hilarious. No one understood it, no one. They had obviously been dating quietly for a few months, but to the world it came as a really big shock, especially because Elon wasn't really your typical celebrity. He's not a celebrity that would be at the met Gala. He's not a musician, he's not an actor. He's just this man with a lot of money that seems to be putting himself everywhere.
Speaker 2: But some of the tweets were, what do Grimes and Elon Musk even talk about?
Speaker 1: I bet they just sit around the dining room making squirrel noises and drinking glasses of rocket fuel.
Speaker 2: I knew I shouldn't have written my Grimes a Elon fanfic, and that dusty old journal I found in the Haunted antique store.
Speaker 1: Elon Mustad and Grimes is all the proof you need to know.
Speaker 2: We're in a simulation.
Speaker 1: No one could believe it. Now might be a good time to mention that Elon Musk this isn't his first big relationship. He's been married and he actually has five kids.
Speaker 2: He married a.
Speaker 1: Woman named Justine Musk. She still has his last name. They were sweethearts at university.
Speaker 2: They will be on and off.
Speaker 1: Calls herself his starter wife, and they had a son. They had a baby, and at ten weeks old, unfortunately he passed away from Sid's Sudden infant death syndrome.
Speaker 2: It's awful.
Speaker 1: They then went on to have twins, and then they had triplets, so they had five kids. Holy duly, Yeah, in like a pretty small space.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm not surprised that the relationship didn't work out with all that happening.
Speaker 1: The insight that Justin gives into their relationship sets the scene for why the world can't understand why someone like Grimes is with someone like Elon, Because Justine said she always felt like she was walking on eggshell. She had to be a trophy wife. He wanted her to constantly dye her hair blonder, to look a certain way. The house always had to be kept immaculately. I'm sorry, but if you're worth three hundred million dollars, get me a cleaner.
Speaker 2: I mean interesting to say that, though, because can you remember Elon Musky four? He actually got with crimes like he had Oh my god, he had such a glow up in recent years like he is getting hotter as the years go by. I adn't gonna find him hotly. You're just poor. Exactly about fifteen years ago, ten years ago. I don't even know how it was. He was like kind of boulding, like really like he looked a little bit like an alien.
Speaker 1: He got like a hair transplant or hair plugs. He did get a hair dread because he went from like a four to five six.
Speaker 2: Weirdly, I find him kind of hot now. So he long story short.
Speaker 1: They divorced very very rapidly, well what feels like rapidly to Justine. So then he he leaves her and he's dating a very very young, beautiful model three to six months later, So he moved on very quickly. He started to day hurt that didn't work out. He moved on from her, and that's when he got together with Grimes.
Speaker 2: But these are all.
Speaker 1: The reasons that Grimes' fan base couldn't understand why she was dating somebody like Elon Musk, and they sort of started to turn on her. You know, all of a sudden, she's in Chanelle, she's at the Mechala, she's with Elon Mask. Everyone's like, you're not the person that you publicly portray this is Hooked, Hitched, and hung Up, And in this episode, we're unpacking the unexpected coupling of tech billionaire Elon Musk and electronic musicians Slash Ultimate Manic Pixie Dreamgirl Grimes.
Speaker 2: There are a lot of reasons.
Speaker 1: That this relationship took the world by surprise, and I think one of the biggest ones is the disparity in their wealth. How much money Elon had in comparison to Grime.
Speaker 2: I mean, no one is going to ever match up to how much money Elon has.
Speaker 1: What wouldn't matter who he dated, unless he dated Jeff Bezos.
Speaker 2: Is that the other rich perion.
Speaker 1: What a beautiful couple that would make if they dated maybe what would probably still be unusual. So at that time, Mosk was reported to be worth about twenty billion dollars. This was twenty seventeen, twenty billion dollars, and Grimes, in her own right had made money. She's worth about three million dollars, which is a great amount of money, but not in comparison to twenty billion.
Speaker 2: That's like me having five cents. Yeah, But in terms of mismatches, I think like from the outset, I kind of looked at Elon as being like this really quite respectable, quite conservative, white, well dressed, a really normal guy.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's easy for us to sit here and list out all the reasons why these two are not right for each other, but they obviously have stuff in common to make the relationship work. Otherwise we wouldn't have seen them dating for years.
Speaker 2: Well. I also think that this is the ultimate case of don't judge a book by its cover. But really, I think when you start to scratch the surface and you look at their personality types and like what their core values are, I do think that they have a lot of similarities. Their shared interest in technology, their shared interest in futurism in science, also potentially their interest in psychedelics. Like, there are so many things here. I think when the judgment came in initially from the public, it was more to do with their aesthetics than it was actually to do with who they are as people.
Speaker 1: Aesthetics and I think the world that they live in, in the world that they've come from, for me, that's it. But the second you dig a little bit deeper, you realize how alike they are. Maybe he has a different side that we haven't yet seen and it's starting to seep through.
Speaker 2: So let me set this scene up.
Speaker 1: It's twenty nineteen and Grimes has tweeted that she is collaborating on a brand new song with rapper Azilia Banks. So like, everyone is so excited about that because that would be amazing. So Azilia was flying in to stay at their property with them and they were going to make all this music. The day before she arrived, Eyor posted one of his most infamous tweets to date, and he has done a lot, but he was claiming that he was going to take Tesla, so that was his car company. He was going to take Tesla private at four twenty per share. Now, four to twenty a share is a weed reference.
Speaker 2: I had to look that up, Okay, I you mean, and by look at that, you mean I had to explain it to you. So four twenty, if you don't know, is like a number that represents marijuana.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So he's tweeted that he's taking Tesla at four twenty a share. So there are some people that are laughing, being like, this is just a child, it's a jo's body.
Speaker 2: He's making a joke.
Speaker 1: But there are other people thinking his company is going to go private. This is him telling us at the end of the day, this is market manipulation. He ends up getting in a lot of trouble for that. But that's not the weird part about this. The weird part is Banks claimed that when she was at the property, she heard him trying to find investors, so despite saying his funding was already secured, she heard him absolutely scrambling. She also watched Grimes molly coddling him, you know, like trying to that Drim. Yeah, except I think they'd been on a bender. I think that a lot of stuff had gone down together, they'd gone into hiding. He'd done this tweet. Now he's gotten in trouble for market manipulation because people took this as gospel. People took this as like financial advice, and or everyone that had shares in Tesla had to make a decision about what they want to.
Speaker 2: Do about that. The thing that makes this whole story so weird is that as Elie Banks had stayed at his house, and then Elon Musk turns around and says that he's never ever met as Elia Banks, So who was lying? Why would you make it up?
Speaker 1: And for her to make up a story saying I heard him scrambling for investors. He does not have investors, Like, that's not something you would make up.
Speaker 2: That's not a story to make up.
Speaker 1: And of course he's going to say he's never met up because that's his out. He's like, oh, she's I've never met I don't know who she is.
Speaker 2: The whole thing is weird.
Speaker 1: So things do start to slightly unravel for Elon Musk now, because do you remember in twenty eighteen this was absolutely huge. Remember the twelve boys in their football coach in Thailand that got trapped in the cave. It was his race against time to save them before the tide comes up, but they all drew. It was it was horrific. But you might remember that Elon Musk publicly said I will give you my SpaceX experimental submarine to save them.
Speaker 2: That's what he said. The authorities declined.
Speaker 1: Because they were like, great, that you have it, we get it. You're rich, you've got submarine. But right now the twelve boys lives are at risk. And that is stupid because he was, I guess publicly declined.
Speaker 2: He responded by Twitter.
Speaker 1: Again, it seems like that's the only way Elon Musk can communicate Twitter with a video of the submarine and he said.
Speaker 2: Sorry, pedo guy, you really.
Speaker 1: Asked for it, with no context or proof that this guy was a pedophile. So he's just called this guy, this man a pedophile just because his ego took a hit because they were like, we don't want you submarine.
Speaker 2: I remember this tweet and then I remember the rest of it, which was like trust me, he is a pedophile, Like I don't need proof kind of thing. This went on.
Speaker 1: There was more to this, but my point of this is like we're starting to see a different Elon Musk. We're starting to see some really really strange, mean, manipulative behavior that we hadn't yet seen. We've always just known him as a bit of an intellectual, a philanthropist, somebody that we're like, well, we're loving everything he's doing.
Speaker 2: It's so futuristic.
Speaker 1: But now we're little bits of the real Elon Maskers.
Speaker 2: Creaking through the cracks. Well. I also think if it's because like the more that he's become social facing famous, and the bigger his Twitter following has amassed, and now that he is this incredible like behemoth on Twitter literally owns the thing that we've become more conscious of the stuff that he's posting. I don't think that it was necessary, that it wasn't he wasn't doing it before. But like the accountability around it has become greater and greater. Well, they get weirder. Just when throw yourselves in baby here we come.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just if all of this wasn't enough, this the pedophile calling, the Azilia banks saga, the being charged, remark and manipulation.
Speaker 2: They have a baby.
Speaker 1: Elon Musk and Grimes have a baby.
Speaker 2: Do you know what they call it? X y Z potato tomato forty two times seventy four by the power of pie. You got it. Literally, not one person in the world knows what that baby's name is, nue I, not even the baby, not what that baby's name is. X ash A twelve.
Speaker 1: Now I'm going to call it x Sasha twelve because I think he's trying to make it, but it's x ash A twelve. But I would call myself probably just like ash or x or twelve twelve.
Speaker 2: So bad he's sleeping. I'm sorry, I just need to finalize the naming form. Have you decided on a name we.
Speaker 1: Have we're going to call him.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, could you repeat that? Of course his name is and is that with A or A?
Speaker 1: No, it's spelt with an X a dash twelve.
Speaker 2: Oh, I see it's lovely.
Speaker 1: Now. I know you think that the name is very, very strange, but once it's fine, once you hear the reason behind it. I'd like to say it all makes sense, but it doesn't. But it does have some meaning. But it's not like Musk's grandmother's name. That's not the kind of meaning we're talking about.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Also, like when you say meaning, like most people are like Laura it means flowers in Spanish or something. Brittany means the sound of the wind. Who bloody knows? Like the names always like have like a nice meaning behind it. And I'm gonna guess this isn't your fay your face that is that's definitely not named after his grand.
Speaker 1: X is the unknown variable in algebralgebra. The AE symbol is her Elvin spelling of AI, which she explains as love and.
Speaker 2: Or artificial intelligence. Now Elvin is like a little it's like a like an elf, like a cool elf. Yeah, because she that's.
Speaker 1: How she, I guess, sees herself and she attaches to that. So we've got algebra, We've got elf. The eight twelve is the precursor to the SR seventeen, which is their favorite aircraft because it has no weapons, no defenses, just speed. Great in battle, but non violent. So they're named after an algebra studying elf that flies a non violent plane.
Speaker 2: Is going to be unpredictable, full of love, and very fast, is what they're saying. That's all I'm getting.
Speaker 1: The kid is so confused, Like I just told you what the name was.
Speaker 2: I couldn't even tell you again. I just talked, well, like we were done. Yeah, let's not circle back. What about when he's on Tinder one day? It was gonna be like going on, this child will own Tinder.
Speaker 1: After this, we start to see a little bit of a difference in their relationship. He starts to tweet things that he knows are going to anger or offend Grimes. So Grimes hasn't publicly asserted pronouns, but she has said that she wishes she didn't have to be classified as female constantly. She's very fluid, she's artistic, and she's just ever evolving. She just wants to live her best life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and she's like very accepting and very like progressive in terms of how she sees gender identity and the conversations around like labels, and he is the complete opposite.
Speaker 1: Imagine knowing that you have told your partner, I'm not gonna say husband because I didn't get married, but you've told your partner that you don't really like pronouns and you're very fluid. And then he knows this about you, but he goes and publicly tweets pronouns suck.
Speaker 2: That's what he wrote.
Speaker 1: Take the Red Pill, which is like an obscure reference to the matrix.
Speaker 2: When someone takes the red Pill, it's like they're back into reality, Like they're like facing what is real verse like this delusional or like created environment that well it's been it's a bit of a rallying cry.
Speaker 1: Now, like take the red pillars of reference that is associated with men's rights organizations. So at the end of the day, he's tweeting things that are very men's rights and he's saying pronouns suck. When Grimes is like, I don't like pronouns.
Speaker 2: So is it then kind of like obviously like LinkedIn to like misogyny and he.
Speaker 1: Knows it's offensive to it. That's what he's doing. It's almost like he's trying.
Speaker 2: To poke the bear.
Speaker 1: But then when he tweeted pronouns suck. This is twenty twenty and they've got a six month old child. Now, Grimes tweeted back, I love you, but please turn off your phone or give me a call, which is a nice way to be, Like, you are in so much trouble when you get home.
Speaker 2: How embarrassing. It's so embarrassing, Like I mean, like that stuff can go down when you're not a public figure. But like imagine when everybody, like every tabloid, every newspaper, every magazine, every journalist is viewing that and then just being like, well that that is that's embarrassing.
Speaker 1: But then almost but then also for Grimes to feel like she has to publicly tweet these things back instead of just having a conversation in private at home, because otherwise it looks like you are in alliance with your partner's thoughts.
Speaker 2: Yes, she had to tweet back.
Speaker 1: I cannot support hate. Please stop this. I know this isn't in your heart.
Speaker 2: Well, because at the end of the day, this is contradictory to the public image that she's been putting out to the brand that she's been creating for herself to all of her followers, and it's also so incredibly disrespectful to such a huge group of people who like love Grimes, like her supporters, her lovers, and everything else. And then if she didn't do that and make a public statement exactly what you said, she's then implying that she's okay with that, and that she's an extension of his like very right winged views.
Speaker 1: But it's almost like he has this history of repeating itself in the sense of he gets into these relationships and he's very loving and supportive at the start, and then his true colors start to seep out after a little while, and it's like, you can't control himself.
Speaker 2: Well, it's like such a statement of power as well, but it's also really belittling, like it's really putting down, Like if you love and respect someone, you're not going to go intentionally out of your way to shit on something that's important to them. And he's done it, but on the most incredibly huge scale and so casually recklessly as well. One little tweet bloop. They end up breaking up, but then they get back together. Oh yeah, I know what you're gonna say, and their relationship does not end with like an on again, off again, on again, It goes on again, off again, on again, off again, Sorry get baby on again, off again.
Speaker 1: Well No. At the end of twenty one, Musk told Time that he and Grimes had semi separated. Okay, he says, it's over, But a Vanity Fair journalist went to grimes place for a feature and they knew that X wasn't in the house. That X is the child's name, that's what they call him, for sure, So they knew that there was no baby in the house. They've gone for the interview, they've heard a baby crying in the background. And it turned out that even though they've just broken up, Grimes and Musk have had a second child.
Speaker 2: They're not pregnant. They've had it.
Speaker 1: It's there, it's alive, it's breathing, it's crying. They had a little girl by surrogacy. Her name is ex A Dark I'm gonna butcher this exit dark side Rail Musk. But it's it's pronounced deial. Yeah, it's pronounced sidurial. But when you read it, you think her name is side Rail. But it's Sadarial, which she's nicknamed why so now they've got two kids nicknamed X and Y.
Speaker 2: They had it by a sarrogacy. It is all very very weird. If you have just had a secret surrogate baby and then you've got someone coming to your house to do an interview, don't you think you would either acknowledge that there is a surrogate baby there and not just bring it up when the journalist is like, oh, there's a baby here. Whose baby is that?
Speaker 1: I just want we add well, the journalist is like, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa whoa?
Speaker 2: Are you and Musk still together? Like what's happening? Grimes replied, there's no real word for it.
Speaker 1: I would probably refer to him as my boyfriend.
Speaker 2: But we're very fluid.
Speaker 1: We live in separate houses, we're best friends, we see each other all the time. We just have our own things going on, and I don't expect other people to understand it. So still no one actually knows the answer. And I was like, well, what are you?
Speaker 2: Best friends? Are your boyfriend and girlfriend?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: What are you? Do?
Speaker 1: You know? What?
Speaker 2: Though? I think like that is actually the most perfect answer. I mean, we're doing a whole podcast series on how we have the right to know every in and out detail of these celebrities lives. But like we have been brought up in a very like monogamous structured society where like one type of relationship is what makes sense to us, and then there's all these people that live like quite different lives and have quite different choices that seem weird to us, Like we're so judging in the way that we talk about it, and like they clearly just have something that's very unique that works for them, and it must get fucking exhausting trying to explain, hey, this works for us and this is our relationship when everyone doesn't really have the right to have a looking glass into their into their whole lives. And that's exactly right.
Speaker 1: We know better than ever that there's no right and wrong and one way only in relationship or normal.
Speaker 2: Let's no, it's whatever works.
Speaker 1: And they're as far from normal as you could possibly imagine, but it's whatever works. It works for them. At the end of the day, he is the dad to her children. Whatever works for them, We're happy for them. We can still say the whole thing is a bit strange. I can report now they are definitely over They have moved on, they had their two children. He's actually reportedly dating a twenty seven year old Australian actress, Natasha Bassett. Yeah, I've seen them. I saw her getting out of his jet and not in real life in the tabloids. She's very beautiful.
Speaker 2: When Britt's like, I can confirm she didn't actually have a sit down interview with him on mass Surprise Surprise, No.
Speaker 1: And Grimes has moved on too, and interestingly, she's dating the former WikiLeaks whistleblower Chelsea Manning. Now that's the former US intelligence that was jailed for their role in the Wiki leaks.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you remember that. Yeah, at the end of the day, they're happy. They've moved on. Mask is buying Twitter, Grimes is in love and I don't know if she'll have more babies.
Speaker 1: But I think that it was a very very interesting couple of years watching that relationship evolve and I'm excited.
Speaker 2: How did you see what they do next?
Speaker 1: Hooked, Hitched, and hung Up is a podcast from iHeart Podcast, Australia, Dead Sets Studios and the Kiss Network.
Speaker 2: Follow along on your favorite podcast app for more makeups and breakups and sex and romance.