Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Outspoken.
Speaker 2: It's your dose of the hottest influencer and pop culture news twice a week. I'm Kate Torba, and coming up on today's show Isabel Clark's warning about fake influences and Martha Califertitas's one thousand dollar blowwave. But first, a video of Indy Clinton in the middle of what appears to be a job interview is going viral now. The vision was supposedly captured by an office worker who was shocked to see the TikToker at their corporate office. Many are skeptical though, that this could just be another PR stunt. Yeah, Indy has been teasing for a couple of weeks now that she has an exciting new venture in the work. So two weeks ago, she announced on her TikTok that something life changing has happened to her and went on to say that her husband Ben has been helping her a lot with the kids, so she can go and be a boss now. On Thursday, she teased her followers further sharing a mirror selfie taken from an office bathroom, and in the photo she was wearing really corporate clothes. I've never seen her in anything like that before on a TikTok, she's always wearing baggy tracksuit pants and oversized tops. She was wearing a matching suit from Kokie and she had a clipboard under her arm.
Speaker 1: It was almost like she was.
Speaker 2: Cosplaying being an office worker. And in the caption she wrote exciting new era. It's interesting you commented on what she normally wears, because it seems to be quite a strategic decision for her. She said that when she looks hot on TikTok, it's not good for her, and it's better to actually dress down so people don't get jealous.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: She said that usually when we see her in the baggy clothes, she actually has her gym gear on underneath, which is usually a crop top and some legins which she usually gets around the house in. But as you said, that she has to hide maybe her body so that people don't get jealous. Not long after that mirror selfie, a video of Indy supposedly at an interview for an office job started going viral on TikTok and the video showed Indy being interviewed by an older man and it was supposedly shot by an office worker who was in the cubicle behind her, and over the video, the office worker wrote, what.
Speaker 1: The action fuck Indy Clinton in my office?
Speaker 2: If you listen really carefully to the video, you can hear Indy say and what time do I have to start? And she then asked, is okay if I'm late occasionally? Now, this video has quickly attracted over one hundred and fifty thousand views, and it was uploaded by an anonymous account which has never shared.
Speaker 1: A video before, which is a little bit fishy. That is a massive red flag.
Speaker 2: It also doesn't make sense because I've worked in many offices before, and there is no way that they would conduct an interview in the open workspace for everyone to listen to, especially if that person had a public profile. Yeah, when I worked in a newsroom, it was very top secret who they were hiring, and again it would be people who had somewhat of a profile, So these interviews would be taken place in private or at the very least in a closed off office away from people. It really doesn't make a lot of sense. And also the fact that it was a staff member who apparently secretly recorded it and then uploaded it. There would be no way this would happen because this person could get fired. I mean particularly when they're in a cubicle behind the death that was happening, like it would be easy to work out who that person was. Well, the thing is people believed it, so immediately people started slamming the office worker for invading Indy's privacy. One yearser wrote under the video, this is such an invasion of privacy and something you will easily lose your job over, whilst another said Jesus, you could get fired for this.
Speaker 1: And it was quite interesting because a lot of.
Speaker 2: Indy's followers started tagging her in the post to alert her that her privacy had been invaded. And this is where influence of watchdog account. Dutch Minty got into the conversation because she has recently made a comeback, so she ended up sharing the TikTok in question and wrote, going to be a tough day tomorrow for the employee who filmed this, So she bought into it as well. I don't know how I feel about dutch Minty being back. When she returned, she spoke about how she didn't really like the tone of her page a couple of years ago and that's why she went on this hiatus and she'd learned a lot since then, and she wasn't going to just be honing in on influencers and being judgmental. But ever since she's been back, it seems like that's what she's been doing. I think she seems to have gone harder on a couple of influences, if anything. Getting back to this story, there was, of course Kate a lot of skepticism over the legitimacy of this video and whether this is an orchestrated pr stunt by a brand maybe that she's working with. One follower wrote, underneath the video, this is a teaser for something. It's not real, whilst another said, so staged and fake.
Speaker 1: She'll announce some.
Speaker 2: Collab or brand deal tomorrow, and it did sound very fake. The conversation that she had with this older guy, like who is asking can I come in late?
Speaker 1: Or what happens to me if I'm late?
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's obviously playing into that trope that influencers don't work really hard and they would really struggle having a nine to five. Well, when she really took off a couple of years ago, and there were some mainstream publications who were doing profiles on her, there was a lot of rhetoric that she'd never had a nine till five job and she'd never really had a real job before, So I wonder if.
Speaker 1: They're trying to play into that.
Speaker 2: And this isn't the first time that Indy has been accused of being involved in a publicity stunt for a brand. Last year's skincare brand TBH, attracted a lot of attention when Indy appeared to accidentally leak one of their unreleased products in a daily vlog. Oh my god, as if this is a year ago, I remember seeing this and being totally tricked by it. I was like, oh my god, can you imagine they must be freaking out at the TBH office because they're found to put out a video where the social media girls share with her what had happened, and she was freaking out, and they had to push this launch forward for this product, which ended up selling out yet actually ended up being one of their most popular product launchers, And people started to get suspicious because of the way that the TBH marketing team rolled out all of these tiktoks straight afterwards, and they were such viral videos because they had all these emergency meetings and everyone was like, this just seems a bit off. Yeah, and they're very well known for the gorilla marketing tactics. Around the time of the Barbie movie release, they actually got their boss, who looks a little bit like Margo Robbie, to walk around the city with security guards and a lot of people got tricked thinking it was Mark Robbie. They also had a Taylor Swift lookalike come into their office around the Eras tour, so they're very clever with their marketing. They seem to push the boundary lot. It's clear that they've got a young team behind them who knows the types of videos that are going to go viral on social media.
Speaker 1: And many people think that Indie's.
Speaker 2: Supposed move into the corporate world is another pr stunt by TBH, and influencer updates Au pointed out that the office Indy appeared to have her job interview in looks very similar to the TBH office, so she shared these photos side by side.
Speaker 1: They were near identical. Yeah, it did look very similar.
Speaker 2: Now. A day after the job interview went viral on TikTok, Indian and her husband appeared in a daily vlog together and said this.
Speaker 4: I've taken osline really exciting a few days a week, which is fine.
Speaker 5: Formiliar who like running into each other in the city, like at lunch spots and stuff.
Speaker 2: Indian then posted a number of Instagram stories showing off her new work shoes. She wrote, got myself the cutest new work shoes for winter now. The shoes in question were from Tony Bienco, but she didn't tag them, and this led a lot of people to speculate whether this whole exercise was just an ad for a shoe brand. It's still unclear exactly what is going on. I feel like we might find out later this week. Something is brewing. It has been a tough couple of weeks for Indy though, because she has only really just returned to TikTok following a lot of horrendous trolling that's been going on about her recent nose job.
Speaker 1: It is so awful what has been going on to Indy Clinton.
Speaker 2: And I'm glad we're talking about it today because whenever her videos pop up on my feed, I have a scroll through the comments and I'm absolutely disgusted with humanity. The things that they're saying to her are so awful. And she's been pretty open about this surgery as well. She's explained that she's getting it done because there's a bump on her nose that was caused by a surfing accident. Yeah, and I was interested that she's got more backlash over this, considering the last time she had surgery, she kept it a secret, and I thought maybe the fact that she was so upfront about what was going on that people would react differently.
Speaker 1: Well, that's the thing.
Speaker 2: When she made her first return to TikTok since the nose job, she prefaced that her nose was still very swollen and it would take several months to settle and that she's not fully recovered yet. She kept saying that in all of her videos. Yet this hasn't stopped people from being so cruel and judgmental online. There are these absolute assholes who were comparing her new nose to Michael Jackson and they're saying that she's ruined her face. And we've got to remember that this is surgery that just took place a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 1: It hasn't settled in yet.
Speaker 2: She's been very clear about all of that, and due to this onslaught of abuse, India has started to wear a face mask. To hide her nose in her videos. Here's what she said.
Speaker 4: I'd be wearing a mask for the foreseeable what's wrong with soul baby, a foreseeable future, because unfortunately the dense people of this world, all of you, but some of you, are unable to understand that after you have your bones shaved down, right, they cut a slit and lifted baskin, shaved down the bone, and then realign some cartilage, they expect a nose to look perfect two weeks post surgery.
Speaker 1: It's been two weeks, dude.
Speaker 2: It actually reminds me of the reaction Sky Wheatly got when she unveiled her fox eye surgery. But I feel like the circumstances were quite different. Not that it makes it right, but I feel like people were more intrigued by that surgery and the process involved because it's a relatively new procedure. I mean, we hear about influencers and just every day people having those.
Speaker 1: Jobs all the time.
Speaker 2: And also because Indy Clinton said she was getting it done to fix an injury, whereas a lot of people worried about Sky Wheatly's mental health because a lot of people thought she did not need to get her eyes lifted at thirty years old. Yeah, there's also been this really gross video that's been floating around on TikTok, which is essentially a before and after comparison of Indy, and in the before photo, Indy's literally pregnant and has blonde hair, so the structure of her face is completely different. She's got fluid and extra weight, and I I just think it's unfair to compare a photo of someone when they're pregnant to a photo when they're two years postparted.
Speaker 1: It because people are saying, what else has she got done?
Speaker 2: Because her cheeks look completely different, her jawlines different, everything's different about her. That's what happens when women go through pregnancy.
Speaker 1: Their face is completely different.
Speaker 2: I feel like my face and the structure is completely different at the.
Speaker 1: Moment to what it's usually like.
Speaker 2: I got a complete jump scare the other night when you sent a video through of me eating zambreros after I'd just given birth.
Speaker 1: It was shocking.
Speaker 2: I was like, I look like a completely different person. I had so much fluid in my face. I would hate for someone to take that picture and now compare it to me and be like, oh, she's had a lot of feeler in her face. Yeah, Well, women are starting to hit back on TikTok and they're creating videos calling out indies trolls.
Speaker 1: Here's a snippet of what some people have been saying.
Speaker 3: Okay, guys, I'm getting really really mad. You guys need to leave Indy Clinton the frick alone. What does it affect to you that she got a nose job? It doesn't, so why the heck are you guys commenting the most horrible things on her videos? The fact that even big eddies have to step in and make a video like, she's clearly not having a good time on the internet lately.
Speaker 6: Can we just talk about Indy Clinton for a moment. Why do girls have to be so bitchy? Like, why can't we just support one another? My goodness, we're comparing.
Speaker 5: Photos of someone a woman who was pregnant who she said I was twenty five kilos heavier because I was pregnant, and we all we all get puffy faces.
Speaker 6: While we're pregnant.
Speaker 5: With comparing that photo with a photo of her now not pregnant twenty five kilos ladder.
Speaker 2: I think it's really nice to see people actually calling out this trolling behavior and saying that this is not acceptable. I've absolutely been loving her husband Ben's videos as well. He has been sticking up for Indy. He's been telling the trolls off, and it is just so nice to see that he is in her corner.
Speaker 1: This is what a one thousand dollar blowwave looks like. In New York City.
Speaker 2: Martha Califatitis has shocked her followers by revealing she got a one thousand dollar.
Speaker 1: Blowwave in New York City.
Speaker 2: Former Reality Style was slammed for being unrelatable and flaunting her wealth in a cost of living crisis, but she says it's the best blowwave she's ever had now. So if there was a lot of pressure on Martha to look good that night, yeah, I feel like the pressure was definitely on that night because Martha was appearing at an influencer event which was hosted by em Rada and Sidney sween Oh got it say no More Because the two of them, they're basically the face of this new Cara Stars pop up event and campaign where they're promoting this new hair gloss, and Martha was invited along with a number of other Ossie Beatty influencers, including.
Speaker 1: Katia Milan and also Jackie Alexander.
Speaker 2: So they had been flown to New York as part of this all expenses paid influencer trip to promote this new range.
Speaker 1: What an incredible gig to get Oh wow.
Speaker 2: I mean I suppose a lot of them have now moved on to Coachella.
Speaker 1: From New York.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Ahead of the event, Martha shared a number of get Ready with Me videos, including how.
Speaker 1: She achieved her blowwave.
Speaker 2: She captured the video can confirm this is the most expensive blow dry I've ever had, worth every penny, Thank you, Jackie. Now, in this video, Martha's Jackie, who is the New York hare stylist, arriving at her hotel room to work her magic, and she ended up.
Speaker 1: Giving Martha a haircut.
Speaker 2: She added some extra layers for bounce, and she also proceeded to pin Martha's hair in rollers and also added some extra curls, so she did get the works. Let's listen to Martha's reaction to the final results.
Speaker 1: My what, bud Yaddy? That is literally the brief though, like that, you gave the best.
Speaker 4: Helo wave I've ever had.
Speaker 2: She definitely did pump up the hairdressers tires in that video, but I have to say it did look very nice, but it would want to for the price tag of one thousand dollars. I couldn't help but think how much Martha was looking like Kim kut Ashen in this video. So on Maths she was dubbed the kmart Kim, and she's looking more and more like her. I think it's how she's doing her makeup now. She seems to be doing a lot more contouring also, probably because she did have a thousand dollars lowwave that probably helped a little. Yeah, that's probably the norm for Kimmy Kay. It turns out that Jackie Alexander also got a blowwave done by the same stylist.
Speaker 1: The only issue was.
Speaker 2: Her appointment was at eight am, so she was kind of like that first bridesmaid in a wedding party that gets absolutely screwed. Well. I really felt for Jackie because she had been out drinking the night before because it was her birthday, so she ended up having a nap after she got the blowwave done and essentially ruining it. It actually ended up making some pretty good content though, and it was pretty convenient because then she could talk about how the kerastas formula helped her get her blowwave back.
Speaker 1: Martha did give her shit over it.
Speaker 4: Though, now her is really giving.
Speaker 1: I fear mindsgiving the most.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well yeah, I slept on mine.
Speaker 7: So our cute little friend Jackie, we got a thousand dollars blowave today.
Speaker 1: Our blowwaves from our New York hair.
Speaker 6: Stylus costs a thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: And each each and she got hers and then fucking slept on it.
Speaker 1: So and look it still looks amazing. No, it's it. It doesn't, No, it does now.
Speaker 2: Martha's TikTok blew up, with the video attracting over two hundred and fifty thousand views. The general tone in the comment section was outrage. One follower wrote it's obscene paying one thousand dollars for a blowwave, and even more obscene that you're okay advertising it in the current economic climate, while another wrote how absurd one k in the current climate. How do you think this is relatable? Martha replied it's not. Hairdressers even started plighing in, with one writing as gorgeous as it looks. As a hairdresser of thirty four years, I get it was a call out to your hotel room, but you just got ripped off hard, whilst another said, as a hairdresser, how do I get people to start paying me one thousand.
Speaker 1: Dollars to do their hair?
Speaker 2: Now? There was one fan who was very polite and could see why the investment was worth it, writing, if you're on a red carpet and going to be photographed from every angle, you're going.
Speaker 1: To pay for it now.
Speaker 2: Of course, social media is not what it seems, and this ended up being a major case of rage baiting. Martha Callor Foretitas and Jackie Alexander did not pay for their one thousand dollar blowwaves.
Speaker 1: Are you surprised, Sovie? No, I'm not.
Speaker 2: And when I dug deeper into the other influencers who were on this trip's content, it was quite clear that Kerastas had organized hairdressers to visit each of the influencers in their hotel rooms to get them ready for the event, and Martha even tagged Kerastas in her original post.
Speaker 1: So it surprises me that they.
Speaker 2: Would want their influencers on the trip promoting that they got a thousand dollar blowwave, Because to me, it's like, hang on, do I need a thousand dollar blowwave in order for my hair to.
Speaker 1: Look good using this product.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wonder if they weren't really happy with the way that Martha promoted it, because I get in order to sell this hair gloss, Kerastas wants all of the influencer's hair to look as great as possible when they're at this event, so it makes sense for them to send top stylists to their rooms to ensure that they're seen in the best light. But as you say, Kate, when you're then pointing out that this hairstylist usually charges one thousand dollars just to do a simple blowwave, it's like, fuck, this product mustn't be very good. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I would have thought it would be better if.
Speaker 2: The influencers were shown doing their hair in videos before the denting it themselves, because then it actually shows well at home.
Speaker 1: This is how you use it, This is how I can achieve the look.
Speaker 2: I get the vibe that maybe this was a concept that wasn't necessarily approved or suggested by Kerastars.
Speaker 1: It's something that Martha ran with.
Speaker 2: Maybe she asked the stylist who was in her hotel room, Hey, how did it much to usually charge with something like this, or what's the most expensive blowway you've ever done. So she knows what makes good content. She knew that this was going to rage bait a lot of people. As you said, Katie got two hundred and fifty thousand views. It's done very well for her, and she's probably essentially saying to Kerostars, look, you should take me on more brand trips like this to New York because look how many views I got for you. Well, ultimately it's good brand exposer for Kerostars. I mean, we're talking about it, people are talking about it.
Speaker 1: I'm intrigued.
Speaker 2: What's the most expensive haircut or hair style you've ever got done?
Speaker 1: Well, I've never.
Speaker 2: Really paid a lot for any sort of hair styling. We have had the same hairdresser since we were four. She's now become a family friend. She did our hair at our wedding and she was so kind she gave it to us as a guar. So my wedding hair probably would have been the most expensive, but I don't know how much she would have normally charged. The only time that I've really had an insight into how crazy some hairdressing prices are was when I worked at Today Tonight and we did this investigation. So we went under the cover and basically we went to one of the most expensive hairdressers on King William Road, which is quite a fancy street in Adelaide, and we tried to get them to upsell everything for us. I mean this was about eight or nine years ago. I think the haircut ended up being like six hundred dollars. We then took a model to a really affordable hairdresser to show that you could achieve the same results at just a place that was maybe not in such a fancy area. And then we took them to the streets and people had to pick which was the more expensive haircut.
Speaker 1: What I ended up winning out.
Speaker 2: The person who had the cheaper haircut actually won. Oh woich was quite embarrassing for the high end salon. I can never ever go there again. I've always some of our friends go to this salon and I always think, oh, like, when my hairdresser retires, where.
Speaker 1: Will I go.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I could never go to anywhere on Kinglynd Road now, I mean, surely eight or nine years have passed.
Speaker 1: They probably might have held it.
Speaker 7: I think a lot of people forget that the influencer world is quite literally a world. Do you know what I mean? Like, it's completely different from real life.
Speaker 2: Isabel Clark has broken her silence after being dragged into the Anna Paul drama. The beauty influencer warned her followers that most influencers aren't as they appear online. Okay, before we get into it. For those not familiar with her, who is Isabel Clark? Well, she's a twenty six year old Australian influencer who started out sharing makeup YouTube tutorials as a teenager.
Speaker 1: And despite getting accepted.
Speaker 2: Into a law degree after achieving an almost perfect ATAR, she put her studies on hold to pursue influencing full time.
Speaker 1: Well, I had no idea that she got an almost perfect ATAR. Yeah, she's a very intelligent woman.
Speaker 2: Now. She has over six hundred and sixty thousand followers on Instagram and over three hundred and seven tea on TikTok And what has really set her apart from other influences is her transparency around her health issues.
Speaker 1: So she has been really.
Speaker 2: Open about sharing her struggles with depression, anxiety, and other health challenges. So over the years, she's documented her experience with endometriosis as well as their surgeries to remove early cancer sales from her breast. We actually spoke about Isabelle around a year ago when she was launching her fashion line called Sunflower Avenue, and there was a bit of contention at the time over some copyright issues.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: Pretty annoying because she wasn't in the wrong and her community really rallied behind her at the time. So four years prior to her launching her own brand, she created this private Instagram community called Sunflower Babies and the point of it was to share meaningful conversations with her followers online. And this community really flourished and she started hosting in person events and community events, and then she thought, well, why not launch a fashion label.
Speaker 1: Off the back of it.
Speaker 2: And the purpose of her brand is to blend fashion with self care and mental health awareness. So it's quite different to a lot of influencers who just launched these brands to get a quick buck. Yeah, she seems to have a genuine connection with her community, and I think that that's why her following has continued to grow, particularly on TikTok. Yeah, and as you can see, she's really trying to make a difference in the influencer space. Which is why so many people were upset when she got dragged into the Anna Paul drama. It turns out she was a topic of discussion in one of Anna Paul's group chats that included Addis Paul and Mikayla Testa. It's interesting because when Anna first brought this up in her rebuttal video to Mikayla, she didn't include which influencer they were talking about. She chose to blur the photo of Isabelle Clark, and it's apparent now why because she was trying to make out like Michaela was speaking badly about her and the closeness of her eyes, when in reality, it was actually Anna Paul who kicked off the negative conversation about her. Yeah, because she shared a screenshot of Isabelle in the group chat and wrote, fuck you. She's suggesting she looks like Bella had did, which Adis replied, fuck that screenshot for fuck's sake. Fuck's sake, man Now. Mikayla wrote back, I feel bad. I guess she's making do with what she's got. I can't hate on her for that. Anna then said she probably talked about us too, and said her eyes cut off halfway through now, according to Anna, Mikayla went on to make derogatory comments about Isabelle's eyes. However, Michayla claims that she was actually talking about herself and it.
Speaker 1: Was a typo.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now. On Wednesday, Isabella.
Speaker 2: Uploaded a TikTok addressing the drama, and she aptly captioned it some afternoon thoughts from Bella had did herself, so at least she was having some fun with it. Now, while she didn't name Anna, she didn't need to because it was pretty clear who she was talking about. Let's throw to some of what she said.
Speaker 7: I can guarantee you that, yes, this one influencer isn't who she portrayed herself to be online and also to me personally, Like I thought, I thought we were cool, you know, w we'd plain to each other stories and stuff. So a bit weird, really really fucking weird. But I didn't read into our relationship too much or put too much weight on who she was, you know. I was only when I saw those little screenshots that I was like.
Speaker 1: Oh now.
Speaker 2: Isabel went on to say that a lot of influencers are not how they represent themselves online. She also said that the influencer world was superficial and it's the reason why ninety nine percent of her friends are not mine. It's interesting because Isabel was part of Madison Woolly's influencer Click in Sydney.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well she's moved now to Melbourne. But Madison Woolly's best friend Caitlin Roriguez and her podcast co host is Isabel's manager, so surely she is still friends with There may be Madison Council one of the one percenters.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, Isabel really broke the fourth wall when she revealed just how awkward influencer events are, and it seems like this is becoming a trend on TikTok for influencers to dish the dirt about influencer events. Recently, Tilly Whitfield was talking about how she doesn't like going to influencer events and influencers seem to be wanting to call out other influencers.
Speaker 1: For their bad behavior.
Speaker 2: Do you think it comes down to competitiveness in the industry. The industry is so oversaturated at the moment, and is of people becoming friends at these events and wanting to help each other out.
Speaker 1: There's almost this rivalry that's happening.
Speaker 2: You're absolutely correct, because if you think back to the golden days of Instagram, influencers actually wanted to make friends with other influencers because there were so few of them and they could capitalize on each other's following. So if you appeared in one person's video, then they would send followers your way and vice versa. But there's just so many influencers there that it's not really that worthwhile, and there's only.
Speaker 1: So few jobs around.
Speaker 2: I also think TikTok has really changed the game. I think there's a bit of snobbery associated with those who were big on TikTok as opposed to those who have been in the industry for longer and have made a name for themselves on Instagram and YouTube. I think that a lot of those og influencers would see the TikTokers as not.
Speaker 1: Genuine creators or big names.
Speaker 2: I think there'd be a lot of ego associated with it, which doesn't make sense to me because I think in this day and age, if you're on TikTok and you've made it big, you've had to absolutely grind you having to put out multiple videos a day. We're seeing more normy influencers and everyday people. You know, we're really enjoying people who have an office job and do influencing or TikTok on the side. Yeah, it's just not these rich models anymore. It just all seems very high school. And I think another big reason why these influencer events are so awkward is because a lot of these influencers spend the majority of their day at home, not talking to anyone, just filming themselves. So to go out and actually have to talk to other people, they haven't had the chance to develop those social skills that a lot of us develop when we have a part time job or we go to UNI and we leave school.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's so true.
Speaker 2: I feel like there's a bit of social anxiety that happens when influencers have to go to these real life events and talk to people. I also wonder if there's a bit of contention over who's getting paid what to attend events, because gone are the days where influencers would rock up to an event because it was something fun to go to or they were getting a goodie bag. Now, influencers get paid different prices to attend events, So maybe there's a bit of annoyance that someone's getting paid more than them.
Speaker 1: It's so funny to think that so many of us would actually.
Speaker 2: Want to attend these events, but for influences, it seems like it's like something that they hate going to, that they dread. I have to say that a lot of these events are boring and you feel like you're being used at them. Now, I am talking from the perspective of someone who has worked in events before. I used to work at a PI agency here in Adelaide that hosts a lot of Adelaide events, and I mean some of them would be the opening of an envelope, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: It wouldn't be something very exciting.
Speaker 2: Adelaide's obviously different to Sydney and Melbourne, but you're really having to beg people to come to these events, and you'd be having to invite a lot of low scale influencers, people who just wanted to be seen somewhere. And back then we weren't paying anyone to attend, so there was even less incentive for people to go. And post I does don't get it. Can't people will just be adults and talk to each other. Because Isabelle was complaining about how influencers won't talk to other influencers, and then she said that if they do come up and talk to you, it's only for a little while and then they scurry away. She also said she often feels like other influences were judging her or talking about her behind her back.
Speaker 1: She then said this it.
Speaker 7: Took a lot of trial and error for me, you know, moving away from Sydney, and then you know, I started going to events again in Melbourne more recently, and the same thing happens your Melbourne influencers and not who you think they are, your Sydney influencers and not who you think they are. I can probably fully acknowledge that I might not be who you think I am, but I do think I am a very nice person and that's why a lot of my friends are not online.
Speaker 2: She also went on to say that it's really unfortunate her followers don't get the opportunity to see what influencers are really like behind the scenes, and she said when it comes to her brand, Sunflower Avenue, that she is not going to be inviting influences to her events for the sake of it, because they just don't care and she's only going to be inviting customers. So it seems like she's taking a leaf out of britt Selander's book. I think inviting customers, or at least a mix of customers, is really a good way forward because you're actually getting people who were loyal to the brand, people who are excited to be there, and people who want to post.
Speaker 7: Oh.
Speaker 1: It makes a lot of sense, and as.
Speaker 2: A consumer, you like to see loyalty and customers being rewarded in this way. Exactly Right now, I want to talk more about Isabel Clark and how she got dragged into the Anna Paul drama.
Speaker 1: Because I felt so sorry for her.
Speaker 2: She said in her video that the comments regarding her appearance were really triggering for her and she was just trying to focus on her own mental health. And it was hard not to notice in the video that she was wearing a very bold winged eyeliner, and all I could think about was how Mikayla Tester had spoken in depth about how she used to wear a lot of eyeliner after Anna Paul made comments about her eyes being too close together, so I was like, wow, it must have really made an impact on her. I feel like, potentially it was a bit of a pot shot because she was trying to recreate Mikayla did her makeup during that time, or maybe she was trying to recreate the Bellah did look that she'd previously done well for whatever reason, and I do think the eyeline it was intentional. And I could really tell when I watched this video that the events of the past couple of weeks had really rattled her. But she was just so mature about it, and I found it really interesting when she spoke about influencers being coworkers.
Speaker 1: Let's throw to what she said.
Speaker 7: And this isn't even about me. I'm sure that that little bit that was lated is only a little smidge of what is probably in those messages and in her mind and in conversation, so it might not even just be me. So I'm speaking kind of just to anyone be a genuine person. The relationships in every part of your life matter. And if you are an influencer, you know, we don't have a lot of coworkers. You know, our coworkers and our customer report kind of comes from our followers. And you won't really have a job for too long if you don't care about your followers and you don't care about your community, you just won't people just need to care a little bit more. You know, if you're an influencer, you have responsibility. If you don't care about your fans or your followers or whatever, they'll be able to tell eventually. So in it, maybe start caring or don't do the job.
Speaker 2: What she said is so true and as you were talking about earlier, so if the influencer market is currently so saturated, so influencers really do have to put a lot of effort in with their followers to attract them and keep them. It's interesting because I feel like influencer brand trips are quite different to your run of the meal influencer event where there's a large number of people invited. Because talking before about Martha Calafatitas, she has become best friends with Jackie, Alexander and the other women on this trip. They seem to have actually forged a genuine friendship. So maybe it's easier for influencers to become friends on these smaller, more intimate trips where they're actually traveling away with one another and they sort of have to get along.
Speaker 1: Maybe they're there for longer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe it's because they don't get a play so they can't just stick with whoever they've brought along to the event, and they are forced to make friends. I do like this concept though, of influencers being one another's co workers, because if you're working side by side with people in the same industry, you really have to work out a way to get along. You can't be slagging one another off. It just makes you look unprofessional and this is a job at the end of the day. Well, I think that is all we have time for today. Thank you so much for joining us for this episode. If you have enjoyed it, could you please make sure you are subscribed on Apple Podcast and also Spotify and leave us a five star review.
Speaker 1: This episode was recorded.
Speaker 2: On the traditional land of the Ghana people of the Adelaide Planes.
Speaker 1: We pay respect to elders past and present.