Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud or the Order Kerni Whaltbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money, She's on the Money.
Speaker 4: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money guys, the Meg's personal finance fun especially on Fridays. It is our favorite day of the week because I get to get my little team.
Speaker 2: Together and we get to celebrate you our incredible.
Speaker 4: She's on the Money community. Miss Jess Gricci is here here, She's here sharing her Miss becksay ed, you've got a few broke tips this week, and we're going to be helping to answer a juicy money dilemma, which this week is all about commercial real estate and whether it's a good alternative when you can't afford a house, which I think will be a spicy conversation and something that you slid into our DMS about guys, should you hold onto your investment when the CEO of a company is actually acting unethically? So I feel like that's like less relationship drama, which like I want more of that slide into our dms. But also I feel like this is like, I know, an ethical canundro like do you don't you like? And also are you talking about your CEO or you've seen something in the media.
Speaker 5: Interesting?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Anyway, before we get there, how were your weeks?
Speaker 3: Nothing exciting to report from me?
Speaker 5: Just I'm sorry, just how many flat tires?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: One and two new tires and three hundred dollars later? Thank you so much? Literally, No, it's it's been you know, a.
Speaker 2: Couple of days.
Speaker 3: Everything goes wrong, but it's what Yeah, how about you, poor jess Ricky through it?
Speaker 5: I feel like you view.
Speaker 6: Bad luck like you're not always bad luck, but like I think that you lean the universe has you leaning a little bit bad luck.
Speaker 3: I don't know what I did to deserve the bad.
Speaker 6: This angel pie, I've ever met you don't deserve any of that.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry that you got a flat tire and it wasn't even like a little bit like you sent me a picture and she was sitting on the ground like she was.
Speaker 2: I did offer to change it, and I've done this before.
Speaker 5: This is not new to me. I am actually the v in the ra c V.
Speaker 4: But as we were saying before, you were like, but I don't have a tire, and I was like, oh, I don't come prepared.
Speaker 2: Like I'm a b Wayoh yeah.
Speaker 4: If you've got the stuff, I'll give it a crack. I don't promise to be good, but I will try. Thankfully, I just found someone who was reputable, Yes, beautiful.
Speaker 6: That's probably the safest bet.
Speaker 4: It's like I won't be here, but Beck and I we could do anything together.
Speaker 5: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: You need a new car built, Jess, I Reckon Beck and I could do it from scratch. I believe scratch absolutely, and one that doesn't exist at the moment.
Speaker 3: We meant to car for Elon flying car that was off all my problems.
Speaker 5: Okay, let's get silent, say less.
Speaker 6: Maybe anything for you your week. My week's been really lovely. I took a few days off.
Speaker 5: I saw it on Instagram.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I've just been like, I feel like I was a stay at home wife for a little while and i'd.
Speaker 5: Just be really playing stay at home? Did you enjoy that life?
Speaker 2: I love? I was like, oh my god.
Speaker 6: Just wake up whenever I want my friends. That's the life I meant to live. But I also made this lovely sweet tato brownie. I never cook, you know, but anyway, and also is a t I bit. The only downside is that I've had some stomach issues and I've been really clogged up.
Speaker 2: And that's that's where I'm at right now. That I used to go two three times a day.
Speaker 4: Okay, this feels like a lot, so I'm not surprised.
Speaker 2: Moved onwards and not outputs.
Speaker 3: Everyone is becoming very comfortable, you know, remember maybe your lounger getting too comfortable podcast.
Speaker 2: Sorry about that, guys. If anyone has any advice on how.
Speaker 5: To no worries, we'll talk about runs later. Let's move on.
Speaker 2: Would you guys like to have a five star review?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 7: Please?
Speaker 5: Serenade style yes please?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Okay, so say less spec this one. I think you're gonna like. This one comes from r X nine two X y.
Speaker 2: How would you pronounce that pronounced real?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Perfect?
Speaker 2: Love that She's on the Money Team.
Speaker 4: After leaving a financial abusive relationship and living paycheck to paycheck, I managed to buy a house solo six months later, and soon after that found this podcast. The financial literacy I now have is amazing thanks to the She's on the Money Team.
Speaker 5: Fast forward a few years.
Speaker 4: I've nearly fully renovated my house, I have an emergency fund, and I'm going on a big five week trip to Europe, and I'm investing a one thousand dollars a month for future me. I now have a financial plan and I am working on my money mindset. Could not thank She's on the Money enough for providing a simple, fun and entertaining money podcast. I look forward to listening to every single week. Oh my god, that's mege your story, seriously, that is the.
Speaker 5: Can you send me a DM because I'd like to do a money diary with you.
Speaker 2: That would be so cool.
Speaker 6: That's really good, cool, good on you are seven nine to three.
Speaker 4: I like your name, it's unique. The username was available. Oh my goodness. I love a five star review because I just I love knowing how we have impacted our community. Like it's funny because you know, it's the three of us in the studio right now having a chat, and we are so comfortable because we forget that literally hundreds of thousands of people listen to our podcast each and every single month. I mean, Beck talks about volvers and stomach issues as though hundreds of thousands of people are not actually tuning in. So like having those little bits that really connect us to you and it just reminds us that we are doing the right thing and we are on track, and we are surrounded by the right people, and it just it literally is my favorite part of the week, like sharing, it's so special. But anyway, another favorite part of my week is the money Wins and Confessions thread that happens every single week in our Facebook community.
Speaker 5: Miss jess Arici, what are the highlights?
Speaker 3: Alrighty? Firstly, I've got one from Brianna who said money win. I went to a run club and all the women who were there were gifted a pair of Pumic sneakers. It was apparently an IWD activation a.
Speaker 5: Deal two hundred bucks. Oh my god, so expensive? Why sheoes so expensive?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 3: Have I told you about my ones that I think I have. They have holes in them, so I just wear black socks.
Speaker 4: You can't because the shoes Jessica, I will buy you in your sit really ruined.
Speaker 3: But I just can't bring myself to buy new ones. They're so expensive. Anyway, maybe I should join a run club and that'll solve all my problems. Next, I've got a money win from Aunt who said money win. I found my chooks hidden stash of eggs right before I had to give up and buy some.
Speaker 2: I love the chicks do that.
Speaker 5: They're so cute that.
Speaker 3: They like find new places to lay their eggs and get comfy.
Speaker 2: And they're like, oh, this good spot.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Like if you're a chicken and you didn't like have a permanent home, like maybe you got your hatch, but like you're always looking for good locations.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I love chickens too.
Speaker 4: They're so some people think that they're really scary, but they are so cute. Actually, speaking of like feathered friends, do you guys follow Alisha who works for Zella Money on Instagram? So Alisha is one of our team members. I don't oh, you would have met them at some point anyway. Alisha is gorgeous and she went to her dad's house over the weekend. He like lives a little bit further towards New South Wales. He has pet emuse. Oh wow, and they're super affectionate, like and they cuddley hats and scratches. And I was like, babe, you've got one of your siblings is an EMU?
Speaker 2: That is really cute?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: I didn't even know that was Yeah.
Speaker 4: I was like, can I just get an mem you and she said no, you actually have to have licenses and and he's got land so he's allowed. But she has multiple EMU siblings and that is just not what I expected to see on the internet over the weekends.
Speaker 5: I want to cuddle him same what his name is?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 5: But do you know what his brother's name is?
Speaker 3: Ernie?
Speaker 2: Yes? Oh that is very cute.
Speaker 4: Really, what else have you got, Jess? Sorry I had to tell you about Alicia's Amy's.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm very into it.
Speaker 3: Next, I've got money in from Amy, who said she's managed to increase her emergency fund by twenty percent in the last month to help her with the rising cost of living. That's actually so cool and good reminder with how expensive everything is getting might be a good time to double check if your emergency fund still covers the amount of time that you want it to, because we all probably need to chuck a little bit more in there at the moment.
Speaker 5: Oh so true, because money says like, oh yes, far as he used to know.
Speaker 3: Next, I've got money in from Samantha, who said, if the health benefits aren't enough of an incentive to take my dog for its nightly walk, then coming back with a new free harness, giant tacchimi and some limes definitely is sorry.
Speaker 5: What well, you've just found all of those laying on the floor.
Speaker 3: So she said, love communities that are always leaving fresh produce and free things out money win. So I think maybe she's got a Facebook page, I've got like lots of limes, or I've anyone near this dog harness mind's grown out of it, something like that, and she's just picked them up on her evening.
Speaker 4: Has been growing zucchinis, and like, at what point do you say just pick the zucchini duty?
Speaker 5: Like the zucchinis that she's pulling out of her garden is she trying to grow them?
Speaker 4: They're massive, And I'm like I don't need this, Like I needed half size, quarter size.
Speaker 2: What do I do with like a two kilo zucchino?
Speaker 5: One zucchini feeds the whole family.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like, I'm just finding lots of different recipes for zucchinis. You want zucchini slaice, fantastic. I've also made it for a tata. Also, we're having zucchini pasta.
Speaker 1: You have.
Speaker 3: She's usually going to turn into a giant zucchini any second. And lastly, this week, I've got a money loss but a life win from Jackie who said she bought a puppy, Little Denise arrived last week and I couldn't be happier. And we do indeed have a beautiful pet tax photo that she put on the thread.
Speaker 2: Oh, I might.
Speaker 3: Be doing because.
Speaker 6: Also people named the dogs. Yeah, I want to say I love that. Yeah, I've got a Susan in my circle, a huge I'm a dog rescue Greyhounds. We will have you must have in my community.
Speaker 2: I'm obsessed, Jess.
Speaker 4: I feel like that was a good one to end on beck Broke tips.
Speaker 2: What are they?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 6: So this song comes from Emma who lives in South Australia, and I have mentioned the RACV situation here in Victoria.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of benefits, but this one is.
Speaker 6: South Australia and they're called r A and being a member you get deals discounts with certain businesses. For example, restaurants offer kids eat free, complimentary drinks, extra meal on.
Speaker 2: Feed me menu.
Speaker 6: There's also cheap movie tickets or zoo tickets, and can buy well leasse E gift cards for four percent discount. I think is great, which I think. I love that kind of stuff, back and stuff. It's like if you do that first and then go do your shop it's just like money that you say it is so smart.
Speaker 4: It's one of the girls that I interviewed this morning for Money Diaries was actually like, please thank Beck for me because I've been playing the shop back games while watching Maths and I've made fifty bucks.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's really good. I need to dive in a little bit more.
Speaker 4: But well you recommended it to someone, she's taken it. She's made fifty bucks. That's really a good deal.
Speaker 2: That's so good.
Speaker 6: I know. There's also this thing that shot Back are doing where it's like, you know, you go into a sponsor by shot back and I shot back at the moment like shot Back call me, but like maybe you are sorry.
Speaker 2: I'm don't be sorry. They can have free shout outs.
Speaker 4: We just want to disclose. You know, we would be true and ethical if we didn't.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 6: Absolutely absolutely, She's not sponsored. She's just obsessed.
Speaker 2: I am obsessed. I'm obsessed.
Speaker 6: It was my best friend was trying to buy a MacBook the other day, not on shot back, and I almost projectile vomited. I was like, why are you spending money right now? And not anyway, but it's great you get on. That's not what the broad tip is. It is about what is the broke You're a a from South Australia and the member benefits, so keep that in your back pocket if you live in South Australia. So the next one comes from my girlfriend who sent me TikTok about this place called pandom Art, which apparently cheap and I don't know why it's cheap, but.
Speaker 4: Oh hold on, hold on, let's sear the broke tip. And then, Jess, I know what you're going to say.
Speaker 6: I'm live nervous, but as far as I know, it's like a diso a Days of Swords.
Speaker 4: It's like everything just really cheap. Yeah, and if you said that a couple of weeks ago. I think Jess and I would have been like, yeah, that's great. So you're saying, there's like another cool shop that sells what your friend sent it to you because it's like cheap.
Speaker 6: Yeah, everything everything even, like, but this is the thing is that, like I think if you're if you do it, can't afford that much. You're like, oh, I'm just trying to block out the fact that this.
Speaker 4: It's like when you got to like NQR, you're kind of like, yeah, I get a good deal, but I don't know about it.
Speaker 6: You don't know unethical. Is this being made somewhere really bad? But I don't know about it? And so like that's not my friend's like, oh, but if you can't afford then it's like a dollar for a whole you know.
Speaker 5: I know what you mean.
Speaker 4: I feel like we're gonna have to null and void your money when or your broke tip because yes, I see you scurrying to your phone to Google to the headlines what happened to pandoma recently?
Speaker 3: They had like a big police rape.
Speaker 5: Read the headline.
Speaker 3: Jam It says urgent warning over dangerous items from New Melbourne discount shop.
Speaker 2: And we'll do it like knives.
Speaker 3: Or well, apparently there were thousands of products that they believe will fail to meet the mandatory product safety and information standards, including items that could be dangerous. I know. I saw a lot of people on TikTok talking on Pandama, and then I saw a lot of people on TikTok saying, oh my gosh, pandoma.
Speaker 5: So people, maybe let's not go to Pandama.
Speaker 4: That could have been a good broke tip if you used it much earlier before we knew that truly got raided.
Speaker 2: I see.
Speaker 4: But the more you know, the more educated we are, the more informed decisions we can make.
Speaker 6: A find it weird because it's just like in my mind, it popped up out of nowhere and we did gone before we could even.
Speaker 5: Hear today, Gone tomorrow, exactly, exactly sorry that we are.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm sorry that we ruined that one for you. Your personal one is gonna redeem this.
Speaker 6: So I have calculated because my girlfriend.
Speaker 2: Friend, Yes, sorry, I didn't. I genuinely feel so annoying when I do that, but I'm just like context, I need you annoy us. I never want to not hear about other jests. Maybe you'll join the show one day.
Speaker 5: Let's have her on guess yess, we know so much about you.
Speaker 6: She's very like, she's very like have staples in the house kind of girl, which I never am. So she always wants bread. She's a big fan of having a peanut butter toast in the morning. And so I was like going out to buy brand and I keep buying this bread. But it's like, sometimes nine dollars a loaf.
Speaker 5: It's actually getting astronomic.
Speaker 6: It's getting out of nine dollars, yeah, sometimes, And so I was like, oh, I'll just make something, And so I made for Kasha, and I realized, like genuinely, if you buy like a five kilo you don't even have to do this. You could just buy like five hundred gram sashet of I don't know bread flour, but if you buy it in bulk, it's obviously cheaper, but all you really need is bread flour into yeast and that will last so long. This for Kasha, I would say, you can get like ten fifteen loaves out of a five kilo bag just ten dollars. Now you have fresh homemade loaves, and it is really not that hard to make like if I can make it, literally, anyone can make it. It is so easy, so quick. I don't know, you gotta put a site some time whatever. But it's so much cheaper than buying bread.
Speaker 4: So I was talking to my dad about this. I mentioned on the show before that my dad has started making bread at home and it's like my favorite thing ever. And I don't want to give him too much credit because like he keeps like testing new recipes, but I think he's nailed it. Like he has this crunchy on the outside, soft on the inside. I would say, like, you know, like French style bread, you know where it's like the bread that you get that's just really good with like butter. Anyway, he has calculated that to have his bougie bread after you make it at home, it's like two dollars ish a loaf, like that is a money when that includes like the yeast and the flower and whatnot. And he was telling me that you can get these and you can just get the mccole's and woolies. It's by the brand Luck la uc k. How would you say that Luck? Look la Luck lurk.
Speaker 5: Look they do a bread mix.
Speaker 4: So it's already got the yeast and stuff in it, so you don't have to do any of the math. Obviously, it's going to be a bit more expensive than doing it from scratch, but I just looked at it. It's ten bucks for a box that is two point four kilos, which apparently makes four loaves.
Speaker 2: Oh you know what you could do?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Facebook marketplace bread maker?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, bread maker.
Speaker 4: Honestly, the old school bread makeout that has the bucket inside that my mum had twenty years ago.
Speaker 2: You want one of those?
Speaker 4: Yeah, my dad has been testing out my mom's twenty year old breadmaker that she used to use.
Speaker 2: Perfect every time.
Speaker 4: Okay, you can pick up or if you can, like rummage through a parents or a grandparent's cupboard and see if they still have one of those big white breadmakers. Yeah, say less. Oh my god, that's great.
Speaker 6: I mean it's really sounded like we're in the Great Depression or something like make your bread at home, guys, because we can't afford it.
Speaker 5: But also but it is some activity.
Speaker 6: Awesome your house, Oh my gosh, going to my parents' house now, because like I'll say, oh, Dad.
Speaker 5: What a coincidence that I'm calling you? At least eight hours before I come to your house to let you know that I'm coming.
Speaker 4: To your house, and then I arrive at his house. In the house smells like bread. Oh so nothing better. Yeah, I feel like it's very Jessica, she coated. Yeah, to be definitely making her own sour dough like I don't think she'd be like us Beck, she's not going to buy the pre mix. I can see her with her own sour dough starter like she's she's going to be there one day. Oh yes, I love that. Let's go to a really quick break because on the flip side, we're not going to talk about bread. We are actually going to be talking about whether commercial real estate is a good alternative if you have decided that you can't afford a house, or if that's out of the question and then you slid into our dms. This week we're talking about should you hold onto your investment when you realize that the CEO of the company you own is actually relatively unethical, So don't go anywhere.
Speaker 3: Welcome back, everybody. Let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 4: Hi, there, have you got a money dilemma you just can't solve that She's on the Money team is here to help. Every week, we tackle your dilemmas, both big and small, to answer your most burning money.
Speaker 5: Career and life questions.
Speaker 4: To get involved, simply head to our website and leave us a short voice recording and you might just find yourself on the show. Now, let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 3: Hi, She's on the Money.
Speaker 8: Girls love the podcast. I've got a question for you.
Speaker 7: My husband and I make decent money and we could save up for a house deposit in a couple of years, but the problem is making their payments. It looks like it would be about double our rent. And because we have a young baby and I'll be you know, I'm on and off work, maternity leave, et cetera, I just don't think that that's manageable for us to be able to do. I've recently got some advice from a family member to look into commercial real estate instead of buying, you know, a personal property. Basically, they said that it's way cheaper than buying a house, and as.
Speaker 8: You paid off or the you know, someone pays rent off of you that pays off the mortgage, you could eventually use it for leverage to buy yourself a home or buy more property, and it's basically just passive income. But I don't know how this impacts like first home buyas grant if we do want to buy a house later on, or how it impacts like taxes or you know what if it's empty and then you're paying rent and you're paying this like mortgage on the commercial real estate. I'm really just not sure if that's a way to go and who we should talk to or how it would go about doing that.
Speaker 7: Thanks so much?
Speaker 2: What do you guys reckon? This sounds like this is too good to be true. I've never even heard of this.
Speaker 4: What is it like your I think I just would she just commercial property, like it's still property, but often commercial property isn't going to be as expensive as like buying a first home in the suburb of your choice.
Speaker 6: But then you're paying off your rent is going towards the mortgage Or did I misunderstand that she's talking about purchasing a commercial property and having a mortgage rent commercial property and then renting it out.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, the investment property. It's just commercial instead of it's not.
Speaker 6: Oh sorry, oh my god, Okay, I understand now, So it's like, you know, a cafe, for example, Yeah, something that's cover.
Speaker 5: I think it's clever. What do you think, Jess, I.
Speaker 3: Don't know much about the pricing. To me, I can't imagine retail space being that much cheaper than residential property. But again, I have done literally zero research and have no point of reference that that's just like my gut instinct.
Speaker 2: I would have.
Speaker 3: Significant concerns over the viability of something long term. I think that something that I just personally have observed in even out inner suburbs in Melbourne, Richmond, Brunswick, places like that.
Speaker 5: I keep saying full lease on every.
Speaker 3: Retail spaces particularly seem to be sitting empty for longer, probably partly due to the increase we're from home, partly due to the fact that so many of us have way less disposable income, so we're cutting out discretionary spending, cafe, you know, all that sort of thing. So I would really say, you want to do your research into making sure that it's a viable option, because you don't want to get stuck in the trap of exactly as our listener are saying, if you purchase the space, then you're not able to rent it out, you are responsible for that rent. And if you're saying to me, now, I can't make repayments on a mortgage, it's still that's exactly the same thing, just on a commercial space. And then the other thing that I would say, as far as I know from my personal research for my property, pretty much all of the first home biogrants, schemes etc. That are available do rely on it being your first property for you to live in your first residential property. Correct, So you not only would you not be able to use those for that property purchase, you would not be able to use them in future because generally fitting them Yeah. Correct, it's for your first property purchase.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 4: And I feel like for a lot of us, if this is the first time we're putting it on the table, purchasing a commercial property could feel like a very strategic move because you're like, oh, this is you know, a smart thing to do instead of purchasing a residential property. But at the end of the day, it does come with like, it's not a bad idea, it's one that you need to weigh up, but it does come with a number of different trade offs. The one just mentioned your first home biogrants in any stamp duty concessions that are available in your state or territory are going to be forfeited because it was your first property purchase, and those things only actually apply to your first residential property. Commercial properties, they obviously can the like being a little bit positive, They can generate rental income. They can you know, give you some tax benefits, which is really exciting. But they do typically and I come from an educated perspective on this. As you guys know, I run a mortgage broking business. They have a higher need for a deposit, so you're not gonna be able to work with a mortgage broker. Like I get my team getting first home buyers into houses for five percent, I have my team getting people in for ten percent. We have been working with single moms who are getting in for two percent.
Speaker 1: Like.
Speaker 4: There are lots of schemes and grants when it comes to commercial property. I'd say ninety nine percent of the time you need a full twenty percent deposit plus costs, which is fine, but then there are tighter lending criteria as well, unless lending options, so you can go to the Big four bank, but they have a different interest rate for commercial properties. Than they do for residential, and then there will be banks that say, oh no, this loan product is only for RESI, not for commercial, and we can't use that. So your lending options are whittled down, which means you're probably going to have a high interest rate. And then obviously another negative is it can be a little risky. Just you said market fluctuations, market turned down. Often when you have a commercial property, the vacancy rate is higher. So a vacancy rate is the percentage of time every year that there's nobody paying you rent. This could happen to somebody who owns a residential property as well, because your tenant says, oh, I'm moving out, and then you've got maybe a couple of weeks before someone else moves in. But as you guys know, like the residential rental market is quite competitive, so I can almost guarantee that if you've got a tenant who said, hey, beck, I want to move out of your property, you've already put it online and lined someone else up. You've probably got a few days where you're doing the cleaning, bond transfer, all of that, and then somebody else moves in. With commercial property, that could be months because it's got to be the right business. There's got to be someone who's willing to pay for fit out, someone who's probably willing to actually sign a five year lease because often leases in commercial are much longer than year to year because you know, obviously I can talk about this in more detail one day, but with commercial leases, you as a landlord don't actually take on any of the responsibility for upkeep. So like the air conditioner breaks, that's your tenants deal to fix, whereas in residential you'd call your landlord and they'd fix it. So all of that stuff becomes their responsibility. So obviously, if they're going to put air con in, they are going to want to stay there for longer than twelve months to cover that investment. And then, yeah, I guess it just makes it a little bit harder if you chose that as your first property to enter the market a little bit later on when it comes to residential, because you don't get any of those concessions that are designed to support first time bias.
Speaker 5: So that's my two cents.
Speaker 4: Yeah, would you say talk to a mortgage broker, Absolutely, because they can do the pros and the cons for you and work out what that looks like because residential properties we are seeing they are still very popular despite me saying yes or no, Like we purchased even recently a few factory warehouse things for clients, and like the rental yield on them in the location that they have picked is really high, really great location, like it's up and coming, like.
Speaker 2: Really really popular.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that doesn't mean that just commercial property across the board is a good investment. This was and I was even thinking like, oh, that's pretty good. How did you find out about that? I'd like to buy one of these? Can't afford it right now, don't worry. But I think it's interesting to see how people value different things. And if you're getting advice from a family member, I adore that, but always like temper it with like are they an investment expert? Are they somebody I should be taking investment advice from? And then let that guide you as to how much more research you need to do?
Speaker 2: So sorry, it just really quickly. Two things I have in my mind.
Speaker 6: The first one is that if you call me crazy, but if like it's vagant for a while, your commercial property, and then you could.
Speaker 2: Use that space to be often you can't, oh you can't.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean you could use that space, but it would be completely stripped. And a lot of people, sorry to bite in, a lot of people want to buy commercial property in their superannuation fund, which means you cannot go on that premise.
Speaker 2: It's not yours to play.
Speaker 6: Oh you're not allowed to use that money that if it's in your generate money.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I mean you could technically use it as yours. But also if it zoned as commercial, you can't move into it.
Speaker 2: Gotcha?
Speaker 6: Okay, okay, Well that candler which was you know those terrace houses, Yeah, no, no, you can't be living upstairs unless it's zoned that way and it's got residential above commercial, which you could do.
Speaker 5: You can't live in a commercial property. It's actually legal. Very good to know, thank you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, sorry was the other thing that was My other thing was that like, could you get one of those like terrorist places where you live up top?
Speaker 5: But that is I'm being a bit of a DeBie downer, So I do it.
Speaker 2: Let's move on. I've got a DM for you.
Speaker 5: Would you like to hear it?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Please?
Speaker 4: Okay, Hey, she's on the money. I need some advice because I'm feeling so conflicted. My husband and I bought Teslas stock ages ago, way before all of the Elon drama. We've been open about what to invest in, and when Trump got in, some friends started saying we'd gained wealth by supporting.
Speaker 5: A racist, and now we should sell.
Speaker 4: Now with the stock dropping, obviously a lot of investors are jumping ship for that reason. I don't agree with Musk's political views, but we had planned to hold long term. My husband isn't phased, his friends aren't bringing it up anymore, but I feel guilty now the drop is confusing me even more.
Speaker 2: I don't know what to do. Hmmm.
Speaker 6: Personally, I I wouldn't have shares in like something something that's that's a kind of like as bad or as like you know, I kind of have a lot of ETFs and stuff like that that and I don't know where that money is going. I'm like kind of like my head's in the sand, which is also bad. But it's like if there's something that I'm investing and that's and ethical, it's not as in my sights as like Musk is obviously, you know, supporting Trump, And I mean I don't want to get into We don't want to get into politics right now.
Speaker 4: But I just recorded a whole episode on that, And what you're telling me right now, Beck, is that I know you don't listen to my podcast because I did a whole episode and I discussed Trump's tariffs and Elon and all of that drama.
Speaker 5: So obviously that okay.
Speaker 2: But oh but yeah, we don't want to get that. I don't want to get political, but I will explain policy to.
Speaker 6: Of course, I think that like on my personally, I wouldn't. I would not be investing in Tesla right now or anything. That's that I know that I can't ignore that.
Speaker 1: I is not.
Speaker 5: You know, you did it beforehand.
Speaker 4: So like, let's say ages ago, you were like, oh my goodness, like the electric vehicles, I've started my investing journey. You went and purchased a heap of Tesla stock, right and that has been performing.
Speaker 2: For you, Beck, Yeah, I love it anymore. No, So would you sell it? I would sell it.
Speaker 4: How much of a loss would you be willing to take to get out of that investment? What if you personally lose thousands of dollars by disposing of that stock?
Speaker 6: I mean, in an ideal world, I would have been aware of the whole. You know, Elon Musk there.
Speaker 4: But you wouldn't have because historically he was seen as an em bagelist, like he was seen as somebody who was doing really cool things. But I mean there's a lot to him that now, like in hindsight, we all have realized that always a bit off on the whole. YEA, most people buying Tesla, they had no idea. They thought they were investing in the future. Well, I guess not in some delulu.
Speaker 5: No totally is best is with Trump?
Speaker 6: But and I do want to preface all of this best saying like if I had friends who invested in Tesla, I like, that's so fine, Like I'm not at all, you know, kind of going to put my views on them, just like for my own personal comfort, I would be not doing that. But yeah, I guess, like you know, because we now know about mask, we now you know, whether you're for him, against him, whatever, indifferent, it doesn't matter. Now we have kind of the information. So unless I've found out I didn't align with him in that way, the same day I lost thousands of dollars and I did not know before, Like if it's a slow descent, and I kind of am like, Oh, I don't know if I like this, hopefully i'll get it earlier. But if it's so happened that I lost so much money the exact same day I found out I did not like Musk, then I would probably stay in until I made some money back and then got out.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But it's like the question of, like how much you're willing to lose in order to uphold your values, which ultimately impacts your future wealth.
Speaker 2: Like, it's such a hard thing, jess, what would you do?
Speaker 3: It's so hard to discuss ethical investments because obviously no such thing. Well, yeah, and it's a deeply personal topic because I would argue that Musk is a very strong example, you know, like we've seen how he treats women, We've seen how he you know, the policies that he's aligning himself with politically, which personally very much go against my own personal value set. Da da da da. But if you look into it more deeply, I would argue that the vast majority of blue chip stocks are held by either individuals or companies that are ethically ambiguous on some level. Like I think that the vast majority of big corporations in some way shape or form are not good. Do you know what I mean? And again, it really comes down to your personal compass. But whether it's their environmental practices, whether it's the political views howled by their senior vps, whether it's you know, the way that they treat women, whether it's the gender pay gap. We saw a lot of data come out on that this month. There are all of these ethical issues that I would argue are held by the Maybe the majority is the wrong word, but like a lot a significant portion of the shares that a lot of us are probably investig in, either through ETFs or funds, or whether they're individual shares that you've selected because you lack what they're doing or where you think they're going. And so I think it can be quite hard to overlay your moral compass along with your goals for the future because you would rule out whole industries a lot of the time purely based on And I'm not saying that that's right or wrong, because I think you at the end of the day, you really need to do what you're going to feel good about. And so for you, Beck, you've said that, I would not feel good holding shares like for example, Tesla knowing that they are doing the things that they're doing knowing that Musk is supporting and et cetera. And I don't think I'm the person to tell you what's right or wrong in that situation. It really comes down to what you think. For me personally, I'm going to be I'm going to sound like a money hungry person, but I don't know that I would be willing to sell at a significant loss or any loss for that matter.
Speaker 2: I think that.
Speaker 3: My future security is something that's really important to me, and would I look to sell once I was in the green potentially. But also I think that it's so hard because I do agree that we should vote without money, Like I think that that's something that's really powerful. But I also think that, yeah, like sometimes those things it's not a Venn diagram, or it is a ven diagram.
Speaker 4: It is?
Speaker 1: It is?
Speaker 3: It is a ven diagram, right, it is, it's not it is. Two things are not mutually exclusive, like a good investment is not always going to be ethical in often I personally believe it isn't entirely, and so it becomes quite complex when you're deciding, well, do I uphold all of my morals or do I look out for future me or do I find a middle ground? And I mean, I don't have a good answer for you if you can't tell by the way that I'm rambling. But I think that it's really deeply personal, and I think it comes down to what you think. It comes down to what ethical issue it is, because some might be more important to you than others. Like I personally probably would honestly prioritize my future financial security if I'm honest, that's fair. I don't know if I feel good about that as I'm saying it, but that's not honestly the truth.
Speaker 6: Sorry, I took so long to say that's okay because I was like, I didn't want to interrupt you.
Speaker 2: But that's okay, thank you.
Speaker 5: I love that.
Speaker 4: I love that, and I think that you guys know that I uphold my values. But I wouldn't sell. I know that, Jess, you seem to be having like an internal conflict of whether we wouldn't and I don't. I don't because at the end of the day, I invested with intent, and my intent was pure from the beginning, and I'm going to uphold that. Yeah, I'm probably going to sell laid down the track when it's good. Let me like step back for a second. When I was a financial advisor, I had a client come to me who inherited a couple of million dollars and they inherited a couple of million dollars from a grandparents who had invested really aggressively and that's where the money was made. And they came to me and they were like, I want to go through my share portfolio with you, and I want to sell like most of it because none of it's ethical and I hate this and I hate that. And I was like totally, like, come in review the whole thing.
Speaker 2: So we go through all of this.
Speaker 4: And one of the shares that his grandpa had bought was BHP and that share was bought so long ago, that was purchased in British sterling. Wow, so that was when he had purchased it, right, So he had held it and continually invested. And do you know what that does to a financial advisor?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: But do you know what that does to a financial advisor who has to calculate the gains and they're like, what your capital gains would be payable on that amount? Should you sell it so that I can give you proper financial advice and you're dealing with historic currency in the bin.
Speaker 2: I hated that.
Speaker 5: Anyway, I did all the maths and I worked it out.
Speaker 4: And he was going to have to pay so much capital gains tax if he was to sell, because at the end of the day, like he'd made a lot of money because it was purchased so long ago, but he didn't feel like it was ethical, and so he was in this predicament where it's like, you own this asset, and this asset is making you money, and this money you're not feeling that good about. So instead of selling, because I was like, dude, like this is going to be a terrible financial decision. We're putting ethics to the side, but now we're overlaying ethics.
Speaker 5: Are we willing to lose this amount of money?
Speaker 4: Ultimately the answer was no, and we then worked together to find a solution that was actually, you know, taking all of the money that he was making from BHP because he decided that he didn't want to be invested in it anymore, and taking that money that that company was making and investing it in things that were directly working against BHP. I love that, so that made him feel really good about it. We were investing in areas that were also growing, that were, you know, actually providing really good returns. So he ultimately kept the BHP. We invested in other stuff, and over time, as their dividends were coming in, they were all going over here, and if we could, we were selling off bits and pieces as things happened. If the market dropped or if he had a serious loss in his portfolio, we were able to absorb some of it. So over time the plan was to sell it down, but not all of it. And I think something like that could absolutely happen. So if you have an investment that you're not adoring or that you feel is a little bit unethical, but it doesn't make financial sense to dispose of it immediately, like well, obviously stop investing in it today. Just hold it over there. What are you doing with those profits? Are you investing them in other electronic cars? Are you investing them in other assets that you feel are more ethical? And then maybe let's ride the investment wave, wait until it comes back up, and then we can sell it and maybe even do a direct swap, sell it for the same amount that you purchased it for. So like you're just disposing of it and on the same day invest that money in something else, like make a plan. So I think, for me, when I put my financial advisor hat on, instead of just taking into account your ethical values, I also need to be like, I need to put future in the best possible financial position.
Speaker 5: How do we do that and also make you comfortable with that?
Speaker 4: So that's probably the analogy slash story that I hope kind of helps you go, Oh, like, I don't necessarily have to dispose of everything. I can actually have a positive impact, and yeah, put your money where your mouth is. I get it.
Speaker 2: But also, we are not.
Speaker 4: In a privileged world. We're losing thousands of dollars just because you invested in something and now they're a douche.
Speaker 5: Is fair?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 5: That is not fair?
Speaker 4: Like selling your assets and losing money because of him is just going to make you salty long term.
Speaker 3: He's laughing all the way to banks. He's rich, exactly.
Speaker 2: Let's wait until he makes us some money, sell the stuff and invest in something else.
Speaker 3: I think to Beck's point before, though, you said you would never put your opinions on your friends, and I think that's probably the one other element that I would highlight is I really don't think that your friends should be so aggressively. You know, it's one thing to have a great conversation where you challenge each other's thoughts and feeling, but it's another to really put somebody down over the choice.
Speaker 5: No, that's not a friend.
Speaker 4: A friend doesn't make you feel like trash about decisions that you're making. We are to our friends, we said, we said, you've invested in a company, but the CEO starts making headlines for all the wrong reasons.
Speaker 1: What do you do?
Speaker 5: They said, yep, I'm going to sell. Can't support that?
Speaker 4: Thirty three percent eight percent of you said only if it drops, and fifty nine percent of you said no, share isn't its ceo. Next question, we asked, are ethical investments important to you? Twenty nine percent of you said yes, I invest with purpose, fifty nine percent of you said I try, but profit matters. Twelve percent of you said nope, I'm just here for returns. Iconic and then we said, hey, guys, what's your two cents? First person said, I'm sure if we dig through a lot of CEO closes, we're going to fight a lot of skeletons.
Speaker 3: I completely agree you Saint rong.
Speaker 4: Next person said, separate the art from the artist. Musk sucks, but investing in sustainability is a sleigh.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Someone else said, I refuse to let that man take my sanity and my money. Another person said, perhaps you could balance the shares with more ethical company, which is kind of what I was talking about. Someone else said, there's accepting that no ceo or company is perfect, but musk is.
Speaker 2: The next level. Baud i'd be getting out.
Speaker 3: That's fair. Yes, that's pretty crazy, and.
Speaker 5: I've got two more for you.
Speaker 4: Second last is if you saw these headlines and then invested, that sucks, but I think you're fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good one.
Speaker 4: And the last person said, your money has power. By selling the stock, you are sending a message.
Speaker 5: Yeah, which.
Speaker 4: It's just perpetuating the dilemma, right, Like from my perspective as an ex financial advisor on the ethical dilemma, I don't want you to lose money because you had your heart in the right place to begin with. Let's just let that balance out over time and dispose of it later. You go, Well, it's been fun, guys, thank you for doing another Friday episode with us.
Speaker 5: We have had a very good time, but.
Speaker 2: We'll see you bright early on Monday morning for a money diary.
Speaker 3: Bye guys, Bye.
Speaker 4: The advice shared on She's on the Money is generally in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice tailored towards your needs. Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of Money Shirper Pty Ltd ABN three two one IS six four nine two seven seven zero eight AFSL four five one two eight nine