Speaker 1: On flex and Firms Flex and Fromes. This is the Flex and Frooms catch Up podcast. I was on Reddit the other day and I came across a thread. I just can spend hours on that site, and I really am making leaps and bounds and strides with my own personal understanding of the world. I also go there when I need help, so you know it's a place fraught with emotions. I came across this thread called ah slash change my View. So it's a Reddit thread called change my View. And what it is is people come with an opinion and they ask people to change their view. It's not a debate. This person isn't coming to say and I'm going to like rebut you as to why. It's more like, Okay, I have this idea of how the world works. Can you try and change my opinion the blurb of this thread, So what they've written is a place to post an opinion you accept, maybe flawed, in an effort to understand other perspectives on the issue. Enter with a mindset for conversation, not debate. And the difference with this threat as opposed to the others that champion debate, is that it is a community system. Using points every time someone successfully changes your view. This is different to up votes. Have you heard of this thread? FLEXI? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 1: Is this like a common thing?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: How did you find it?
Speaker 2: I'm on Reddit?
Speaker 1: Is it a big thing? On readit?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think it had like a million How did you find it?
Speaker 2: Probably found it the same way you found it. I was on Reddit and then I saw a subreddit and I clicked on it.
Speaker 1: True well. I saw a few ones that piqued my interest, including why does everybody think America is so bad? That was from someone who hadn't immigrated to America but wanted to. The Other one was weddings are pointless, which obviously piqued my interest because we both have been reading Clement Unford's latest book, I Don't And then a final one, which is a man's creepiness directly related to how hot he is?
Speaker 2: What do they want their mind changed about that it isn't or it.
Speaker 1: Is that it isn't that because you know how, there's like common rhetoric that what makes the guy's behavior creepy is just proportionate to how good looking.
Speaker 2: They are, well, how attractive you find them?
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, which I don't know how I feel about that. I don't know if I agree or disagree, but this did change my view. Soone said Psycho with Christian Balers, and this is an example of a really like conventionally attractive man where it's not working, the challenged mister Ripley with heartthrob Leonardo DiCaprio. Hot dudes can be creepy as f because creep has nothing to do with your hotness and literally everything to do with how you're acting, behaving, moving, literally everything that is roughly within your wheelhouse or control. Okay, so this one has changed my view. Baby on board stickers should be removed when the baby is not on board. Okay, they say the original use for these were for first responders to know how to look for a baby. I didn't know that. Do you know that, Micky, I had no idea about that. WHOA, But then people never remove them when their baby is not on board or when their kids grow up. I know EMT and firefighters will look in the back seat for signs of a child, but it's a waste of their time if there could be no baby, if the adults are unconscious, they could spend time looking for an injured child. I don't think people are actually more careful around those cars, and half the time they don't even have car seats. I think the details that have families or dog or whatever is better. This says, this is my family who might be in the car, not these people are on board right now, so cared care for them in an accident. And then they've got answers and the edit is read some great answers. The origin of the signer was likely just to ask people to drive carefully, but can have the opposite effect. Some people with the stickers to practice unsafe driving themselves, and the stickers can help families who have children with special needs and or a signal that they're dealing with an issue. I never knew that it was for emergency services. I literally just thought it was someone being like, don't be mean to me because I have a kid on board, which I always thought was not very democratic.
Speaker 2: It's your favorite word today?
Speaker 1: Have I said them on the ones? Yeah, me, having no understanding of what a democceities now and someone did a point which I think is quite interesting, which is that encouraged drivers to use caution when approaching cars with younger passengers as opposed to what driving without caution when approached by everyone else? Am I to pick and choose who gets my caution who doesn't? Am I allowed to use less? And people as opposed to others? Interesting? And then they also brought up I respect the student driver signs by passing quickly or giving an abnormally large following distance, which I get it. You might have a kid in the back, like hitting the back of the parents seat, in which case it's good to know, you know, give them a bit of a wide berth. Damn. I think this is a good Creddit to go on, Like I really, I know I've said democratic about five times today. I don't remember doing it, but you know, we are in a system where opinions are allowed. I feel like this is a good place to witness how discussions can be had in a way that's respectful.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I think it's a good place to see other ideas, right, But I think in this instance a discussion like there's no onus on anyone there to fact check it for you or to be like I read on Reddit, like this guy told me the reason why you don't have baby on boards because it's like that's you don't come here to discuss. You're just getting ideas and then go and use them elsewhere.
Speaker 1: I understand, like a Gateway did to the Flexing Firm's daily podcast. For more, tune Indicator on D A B or stream it on iHeartRadio.