Speaker 1: You are now entering the court of Judge Gina Leano.
Speaker 2: Even the most loving relationships can hit rough patches. But what happens when the fights can't be resolved? You come to my courtroom. I am Judge Gina, and my decision is final. You better be ready to hear my ruling.
Speaker 1: Tom has brought his partner Darren to Judge Gina. Tom claims he is the only one who buys drinks when the couple go out on the town. Tom is seeking six hundred dollars in financial compensation for rounds of drinks brought over a period of several years.
Speaker 3: Hi, guys, my name is Tom Gay from the USA, and you may have known me from TV commercials. Could be running the world's largest inflatable theme park, actor, model, TV presenter. But yes, you might know me from like the club on Oxford Street.
Speaker 4: So my name is Darren bought in Sydney, live in Sydney. I work in construction and you would know me from being Tom Gay from the USA's partner.
Speaker 3: So I've come to Judge Dina today because I love going to these fancy nightclubs in Sydney and the only way to get my partner to come out is that I'll have to buy him drinks. And I think enough is enough, especially when I see him having way too much fun today.
Speaker 4: I want Tom to keep paying for my drinks because I think it's a fair arrangement.
Speaker 1: Court is now in session. Please rise for Judge Chaina.
Speaker 2: Okay, So Tom and Darren.
Speaker 3: Hello, Hello, Hello, Hello, Well excited today, a little bit hungover from last night. But we're going to speak the truth today.
Speaker 2: Let's start right from the beginning. So how did you too? Mate?
Speaker 3: So we met. We met at Goodbar on August the eleventh of twenty eighteen. I remember Darren coming up to me and he was like, hey, mate, like nice outfit, Like are you gay? And I'm like, I don't know, twenty percent, eighty percent, whatever you want. And that was the start. That was the first conversation we had. And as we as we went downstairs in the nightclub, I saw Darren in the back of the distance he was giving me I, I was given him I And then I just decided to get up there and just kind of go and do a little cheeky little dance with him and then trying to keep this as peg as possible right now, and A few things happened, took him to the back corner, some other things happened, and then at one point, I, after this series of events happened, which once again we're keeping a PG, I turned around and asked him. I was like, wait, mate, are you straight? And then it was yeah, I've kind of really never done these things before. Blah blah blah, and the rest is history. So now we're here, So there you go.
Speaker 2: You had someone turned for you.
Speaker 3: Every day, That's the story. He tells too much.
Speaker 4: I was pretty drunk, saw some guy out of dance floor, and then that's it.
Speaker 3: Moved in that weekend practically.
Speaker 2: And what sort of things do you do when you go out? What would you describe as a fun time? Keep it g rated please.
Speaker 3: Yes, my fun time is a bit different than Darren's. However, I enjoy the night life. I enjoy clubbing, I enjoy dancing, and Darren is a an outdoors, fun, excitable character.
Speaker 4: Thank you for speaking for me. He's not too far from the truth. So I do love the outdoors that sort of stuff. I'd probably go see a band more than i'd go to a night club dancing.
Speaker 2: So do you like going out, Darren?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I enjoy it, like in moderation, you know.
Speaker 2: H So have you always known that Darren doesn't really like going out?
Speaker 3: Well, it's a struggle because Darren does like going out. I think he underplays this little bit more than I think people are assuming, Like I've seen Darren dancing around till morning time till sunrise. So no comment.
Speaker 2: Okay, So how often do you go clubbing? Is this weekly?
Speaker 3: Probably? Yeah? Yeah, it can be yeah, probably like four nights out of a week. Oh, he starts on a Wednesday.
Speaker 2: Tom, do you work?
Speaker 3: No? I don't know what he does that for. Honestly, Tom, what do you do? I'm an actor, model, TV presenter, and I also run the world's largest inflatable theme park.
Speaker 2: Okay, And so does that require you to be up in the morning and have a sleep routine?
Speaker 3: Not really. I mean I work from home. You can work remotely these days. Besides, there's twenty four hours in a day. You can do anything.
Speaker 2: Tom. You say that you loved going out and you love to party, and you do that four nights a week?
Speaker 3: Is that right?
Speaker 2: From Wednesday to start?
Speaker 3: Is correct? That's correct? If I could do it every single night, I probably would.
Speaker 2: Okay, And you're based in Sydney, are you, yes, bas okay and Darren you're an engineer correct, yes? And so do you work every day the week like five days full time?
Speaker 3: Sure? Yep?
Speaker 2: All right, and so but you're going out on a Wednesday to a Sunday night?
Speaker 3: Is that right?
Speaker 2: Are you going out the four nights a week?
Speaker 4: Well, he is, yeah, what about you? Well, not that often previously. Yeah, maybe two to three nights a week. And yeah, it's tough too, because it's not just an eight hour day. Sometimes they're like ten hour days even longer. So yeah, yeah, like busy working schedule and then also on top of it, yeah, getting dragged out to nightclubs midweek.
Speaker 2: So why are you here today? What's your beef?
Speaker 3: So I'm here today judged you know, is because we've had a pre arrangement of to get Darren to come out and to stay out with me, I have to buy him drinks. I've decided no more. I am no longer paying for his drinks.
Speaker 2: How did this arrangement come about?
Speaker 3: Well, to me, it was all fun. It was all fun and games until one day. To me, it looks like Darren just had enough. We had enough of going out and coming out and staying out to the early mornings. And then I had to whip a trick out of the old book of the Oh look.
Speaker 4: I just I started to realize nothing really good happens after twelve twelve am anymore so.
Speaker 2: And so Tom, you've come up with this old trick, as you've called it, to pay for his drinks to entice him to come out, and you've been doing that for two and a half.
Speaker 3: Years and it's worked.
Speaker 2: So when did you get the idea that you would buy Darren his drinks?
Speaker 3: We kind of came up with it together. But it's turned into a point where I really love going to these these fancy nightclubs, these you know, launch events, and Darren's not so much into the whole Instagram taking photos, doing videos, and we've gotten to a point to get him to come out, he needs to be a little bit tipsy. And if that's the way, that was the way. So we've come to that conclusion of will I will pay for Darren's drink to get him to stay out, and that's the arrangement.
Speaker 2: And how long have you been buying his drinks? Oh my god, like two and a half years now, two and a half years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's been a while.
Speaker 2: And is he a big drinker? Is that a costly thing for you to be buying him drinks?
Speaker 3: He's ausy? Of course, of course it's costly.
Speaker 2: And so how much do you spend on drinks when you go out together clubbing?
Speaker 3: I would say a good one hundred and fifty to two hundred in a night just for Darren.
Speaker 2: Darren, did you know that? Did you know he was spending one hundred and fifty to two hundred Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you guys are like the nicest nightclubs in Sydney and it's like twenty five dollars for a drink.
Speaker 2: Right, So you're not holding back there obviously you're having one hundred and fifty to two hundred dollars worth of drinks. So why do you insist that Darren comes out with you? Tom?
Speaker 3: I want him there, Like as a loving partner, it's always good to have kind of your partner in crime next to you getting up to all crazy shenanikins and I feel I love going out, but there are moments in my life when I just want my partner next to me.
Speaker 2: So, Darren, are you not willing to go out with him unless he pays for your drinks? Is that what it's come to like?
Speaker 3: Sometimes?
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it tends to be the same same thing every time.
Speaker 2: So well, what do you like to do for fun?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: So I like to go down to the pub with a couple of mates, you know, familiar, familiar territory, just relaxed, sit down and have a few drinks with friends. You know, maybe sometimes get a little bit crazy, but yeah, just away from the dark, dirty nightclubs, you know.
Speaker 2: So you like a dark, dirty pub? And does Darren pay for your drinks or food when you go to the pub?
Speaker 4: Norely comes that's the issue here, Okay, No, I mean to be honest with you, I don't.
Speaker 3: I mean, look, no offensing to clubs at orly pubs at all. But I just can't sit there. I can't watch footy, I can't even drink a beer. This is not my vibe.
Speaker 2: What are you two doing together? What's going on?
Speaker 4: You should see what I have to You should see what I have to put up with it when every single time we go to club Sultan Pepper. Obviously obviously you've heard high. It's not just Tom, It's I'm Tom and gay from the USA. Yes, I dare you judge Gina to ask Tom where he's from?
Speaker 3: So mind you, I have to hear this.
Speaker 4: I've heard this over a thousand times and I could almost run the spiel off myself.
Speaker 3: But ask Tom where he's from?
Speaker 2: IM a bit worried about that. Tom, am I allowed to ask you where you're from?
Speaker 3: Tom Gay from the USA? Born in Cleveland, Ohio, Griven Washington, d C. Lived in La Miami, New York. We've been Spain for a year and now I live here.
Speaker 4: I mean, he's he is born in Cleveland. His parents are from Cleveland. He's from Cleveland, all right?
Speaker 2: And so how often do you go to the pub with Darren and how often does Aaron go at clubbing with you?
Speaker 3: Oh? Man, I would say that that's definitely not a fifty fifty split. I mean, when Darren goes to the pub, he'll ask me, as a courtesy, do you want to come with me? And I'll say yes or no. You know, but if I go, I'm there for one drink to say hello, show my face, and then I'm out.
Speaker 4: He barely puts a foot in the door before he's almost outside of public.
Speaker 2: It's fifty to fifty but very short. Short stays.
Speaker 4: Yeah, short stays. When I go out with him, I'm out till four am in the morning.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, well that sounds like you're having fun then.
Speaker 3: Hmm, this is why we're here.
Speaker 4: So okay it I mean after two or three drink, doesn't everyone?
Speaker 2: I mean I would suggest that what you do for fun is you go out clubbing. Have you worked that out? Darren?
Speaker 3: We help me?
Speaker 2: Well that's a question for Darren.
Speaker 4: Well I do I do? It's not It's not my number one choice. So for him to persuade me, yeah, I get him to pay for the drinks. I shouldn't be spending one hundred and fifty dollars a night for somewhere like I can really, I don't want to be.
Speaker 2: All right, but you're not spending one hundred and fifty at night. Clearly Tom is spending one hundred and fifty at night?
Speaker 3: Correct two hundred.
Speaker 2: How old are you Tom?
Speaker 3: I am thirty one years old?
Speaker 2: And how old are you Darren?
Speaker 3: Thirty five?
Speaker 2: Okay, he's lying, are you forty or thirty five?
Speaker 3: I'm forty years old.
Speaker 2: Oh see, there you go. Okay, so you're getting a bit tired are you Darling.
Speaker 3: Well, you know what, like I think, you know, age is just a number, and I think days a new day until you get maybe I'll see you in the next eight years and then we can we can get.
Speaker 2: Back know about it. It's a very interesting dynamic. Why are you together?
Speaker 3: Maybe you know it's a little bit of yin and yang in Sulton Papa babyes. So I mean, I don't think I could be happy with someone exactly like me. I feel like the energy levels would just keep raising each other up. I feel Darren has been so helpful. I think in the past four and a half years it's because he has kind of settled me down. He's kind of pulled me back, you know, and kind of really brought me, you know, into this country, you know, living in Australia. It's it's been amazing. But you know, you don't always need to be the American that I once knew it myself has you know, So yeah, kudos to Darren for putting up for it.
Speaker 2: What was the American that you once were?
Speaker 4: Let's not stereotype but loud, slightly obnoxious, steric, excitable center of the universe.
Speaker 2: Okay, so the stage isn't quite big enough for two Toms. No, So what do you want me to do today?
Speaker 3: I want you. I want you to at least find a solution to this problem. Potentially, hopefully we can come to an arrangement where I'm no longer having to spend two hundred dollars, especially if I see Darren having fun. You know. So the whole the reason behind it is to get Darren to come out is because it's assumed that he's not gonna have fun, he doesn't want to be there, Okay, But the moment I start to see him enjoying that his life, enjoying those moments, and he coming up to me, let's get another round, Well that's a point. That's a line that I'm gonna draw, because now it sounds like he wants to be.
Speaker 2: There, all right, Darren, Why don't you just say no if you don't want to go out?
Speaker 3: I do, and I do it many people.
Speaker 4: Do you say no, Well you do want to go out? I do say no, Okay, no, I'm gonna go down the pub. I'm gonna hang out with my friends, hang up my brother, do some things just around the area.
Speaker 3: So I do say no.
Speaker 2: And do you insist that Tom comes out with you. Two things he doesn't want to do.
Speaker 3: I do? I do? I say, come?
Speaker 4: You know obviously my brother lives down the road for me, and you're like, got family there, And I was like, come come, everyone wants to see you. Come hang out for a little bit. Very rarely does because he's doing his own thing. So yeah, I'd be happy if he came out with me a little bit more so, Mike, if I ever had a counterclaim, it would actually be, you know, come with me.
Speaker 2: Okay, So what do you do to spend time together rather than nightclubs? Do you go to travel?
Speaker 3: Do you? Yeah? We do. We do.
Speaker 4: We travel a lot together and obviously even last weekend we'll Downagenolan Caves, so we had a there's a couple of big weekends and then so so.
Speaker 2: It's not the end of the relationship.
Speaker 3: No, not at all.
Speaker 2: Tom, What do you say about Darren not going out with you?
Speaker 3: Can I just have the cake and eat it please?
Speaker 2: Well, the problem is you can't force someone to do something they don't want to do. You see, even in law, you can't force someone to do something. You can force them to pay if they don't want to pay, but you can't actually make someone do something they don't want to do.
Speaker 3: So can we come up with like a kind of claim.
Speaker 2: You're putting in the claim? What are you talking about? You want to claim? And a counterclaim? Tell me, enlighten me? What is the strategy with love?
Speaker 3: If I start to add up drinks per night that we go out in terms of dullar amount, I either want I want someone of that back. I want someone I want some of that money.
Speaker 2: About going forward or in the past moving?
Speaker 4: I want the past and going forward because who goes here his money, here's free drinks.
Speaker 3: Actually give it all back.
Speaker 4: Now, I'm gonna start going around the house and collecting all the presents that I bought you.
Speaker 3: That's scooter to use every single day. Take it right back.
Speaker 2: So you've been living in the same house for four years, four and a half years, and so what's the set up there? Who pays for wash? And I don't need the breakdown? How do you? How do you do that? Is it shared expenses?
Speaker 3: Yeah? So we have a joint bank account, which is great. Everything is split down the middle from rent to took him a while. I was very reluctant at paying rent when I first.
Speaker 4: With the friendly word on the radio. Very frugal, surprisingly surprisingly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he's very generous.
Speaker 4: It's very surprising arrangements. That's how Yeah, because that's how you get.
Speaker 3: What you want in life's throw money at it.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, I think I've got things in life without throwing money up. It's a very interesting idea. So you split everything halfway? Yes, yeah, right, except for buying drinks.
Speaker 3: Which comes out of my personal expense account.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 3: Okay, we do have.
Speaker 4: Two, like we have one joint account and two separate ones, and we kind of just use that joint account for all joint expenses.
Speaker 2: And then yeah, all right, And when you go to dinner at a restaurant, who pays?
Speaker 3: Do you split that? Yes, short answer, yes, but it depends on the occasion. If it's my birth there, Darren's birth there.
Speaker 2: So it's only these nightclubs. It's only nightclubs that Tom takes you too, Darren, and that he pays.
Speaker 3: It's correct.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's it, all right, And you've done that for two and a half years. Do you get along with each other's friends, like, do you have the same social group?
Speaker 4: A good question, very good question. His friends are lovely, lovely, lovely, lovely people. Just my crowd's a little different. I'm not there, and no disrespect, well whatsoever. I understand that Instagram is a very fun way to promote things, and yeah, get free drinks as well, sometimes a complement drinks. So yeah, so not my crowd, you know, like I love them the death actually, but it's yeah, my my crowd's more hang out the part of this new band, have a beer, have a laugh, talk about some sports.
Speaker 3: Answer the question we get along, don't get along?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yes, all friends get along. Yes, my friends are very models influencers.
Speaker 2: Tiktoker's okay, So can I ask you? How much do you think you've spent on drinks for Darren in the past two.
Speaker 3: And a half years. Give let me do some quick math.
Speaker 2: And while while you're doing that, Tom, Darren, how much have you spent on Tom?
Speaker 4: Yep, not too much, not too much, says he's never at the pub. So yeah, because I've come up with this figure. This this is just a rough draft over the past just one year.
Speaker 2: And how much is that then?
Speaker 3: Five two hundred bucks in drinks and that it's based on half of a year going out for at least twenty six of those.
Speaker 4: Na, I mean, I'll give you fifty bucks. I mean you said it before, are your honor? You said it before. He's given that to me.
Speaker 2: He has given that to you. So this is the next question. Can I ask you Tom, have you raised this with Darren in the past, that you don't want to pay for his drinks?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: How long ago was that?
Speaker 3: This is probably three and a half weeks ago.
Speaker 2: And how much have you spent in drinks in the three and a half weeks since you've said this?
Speaker 3: Oh my god? Since then? Probably close to We've went out at least three three three times. So yeah, but six hundred bucks, six hundred, do not recall the conversation.
Speaker 2: Okay, but you're willing to pay for the first round of drinks?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Well okay, so what's six hundred less the first round of drinks?
Speaker 3: Four hundred?
Speaker 2: About four hundred it is, it's about four hundred dollars. Okay. I'm going to deliberate and I'll be back with you shortly.
Speaker 3: Your honor, Before you go, can you please taken consideration for any future things that are going to happen and occur a mine in Darren's life of going out.
Speaker 2: We'll do.
Speaker 1: Judge Gina, and he is deliberating and will soon hand down her verdict. Please do not leave the courtroom.
Speaker 2: So Tom and Darren, you're a couple from Sydney and you live together and you have done so for about four and a half years. And Tom you very act. Going from what I see and from what I hear, you're a model, an actor, presenter, and your own you own your own or what you say to be the world's largest inflatable theme park. And Darren you're an engineer and you're from Paramatta. Is that right?
Speaker 3: Ah?
Speaker 2: Yes, okay. You have this arrangement where you live together and you split your expenses except for on the occasion when or on the occasions it sounds like when Tom takes you out to nightclubs you are ten those nightclubs is contingent on him paying for your drinks. This is correct, all right, But about three and a half weeks ago Tom has approached you and said, well, he's no longer happy with that arrangement, and since then he's spent probably about six hundred dollars worth of drinks. But he does say today that he'd be willing to pay for your first round of drinks. But despite the fact that he said to you that he's not willing to pay for your drinks, you've continued to allow him to do that, and you've continued to go out partying with him where he's incurred that additional cost. So I've calculated that in the last three and a half weeks, if they're six hundred dollars worth of drinks, that if Tom was willing to pay the first round of drinks, that that probably would have only cost him a couple of hundred dollars. So he's out of pocket and additional four hundred dollars on the basis that he was not really willing or happy to pay for those drinks. And in my opinion and under the circumstance answers, I would say, Darren, that you've actually exploited your partner there, and that you've taken advantage of him. So I'm going to award Tom four hundred dollars.
Speaker 3: I will take that.
Speaker 2: In terms of going forward, I would say that you to are at liberty to come to any agreement that you like, obviously subject to one or the other exploiting each other. And I would suggest and I would decide on your behalf because obviously this is a sticking point in your relationship. So I will decide on your behalf that going forward, Tom continue to pay for the first round of drinks, and that Darren, you're on your own after that. Thank you. My decision is final.
Speaker 3: So today's experience, I walked away a winner in this sense. I get to have my partner come up with me every time I want to go clubbing and the only thing I have to do is buying one drink. And on top of that, I got four hundred bucks.
Speaker 4: About today's outcome, I feel like it's a little unfair.
Speaker 3: I think she called Darren out and exactly what he needed to be called out on, and yeah, I will happily pay one drink for every time he comes out clubbing with me. I think Gena's treatment of me was pretty fair.
Speaker 4: She did call me out and say that I was maybe a little bit too old and too tired for clubbing, which is a little distressing. So I feel like Gina has resolved this disagreement. As long as I still get at least one free drink when we go out, I'm gonna stick with that and be happy.
Speaker 3: At the end of the day. I will always love Darren and this will not affect Mine in his relationship whatsoever.
Speaker 1: This has been an iHeart production.