Speaker 1: It's in the news today, but it was actually on TV Reload the podcast last week that light. Welcome back guys to TV Reload. My name's Benjamin Norris, and on this podcast I go behind the scenes with the biggest players in television. Each episode you will get a front row seat with content makers like executive producers, writers, editors, and casting agents, plus the talent that we see on our screens. TV Reload reloads the shows that you are currently watching and gives you a better insight into our television industry and our streaming services. Today on the podcast, I have the latest eliminated queen from RuPaul's Drag Race. It is Pomara fifth. This week, the competition heated up as down onto Series two saw the queens put the word sabotage under the microphone. There was no way to hide with Molly Poppins getting an advantage that saw her not so secret strategy being called out by the other queens. I for one, did not see Pomara's elimination coming, and I have thoroughly enjoyed her confidence and sent humor that she's brought to the show. We will talk about the clashes behind the scenes. What was happening with those panties who the Queen's turned to if the drama gets too much, And I will also try my hardest to get some shady answers from today's guest. However, let's get started with Pamara fifth. I'd like to welcome this week's Queen of Stan Australia to TV Relod.
Speaker 2: Watching the show and being there in person two different things.
Speaker 1: Previously, I'm RuPaul's dragres.
Speaker 2: I remember thinking to myself, Oh my god, don't don't laugh. Don't laugh. If I really wanted to sabotage, you're going to put you with many after last week? That would have been a fun pairing. You know. I think to myself, well, if that was me, I wouldn't have done that.
Speaker 1: Tamara, let's talk about drag brunch.
Speaker 2: Why don't you go ahead? You know I'd had a lot of messages being like, oh my god, that's not you tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Fifth, you can leave here with your head held high.
Speaker 2: I think the producers of Real he tried to betray everyone as positively as they can.
Speaker 1: Hi there, Pomara fifth, how are you?
Speaker 2: Hi? I'm good, think you? How are you.
Speaker 1: Fantastic to be able to have this chat with you. I thought you really brought a lot to this series. Are you happy with how you came across on Down Under Series? Too?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? I mean I can't complain. You know, I made it onto the show, so you know, no complaints here.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess there's going to be lots of people wanting to get on the show. Did you have a secret trick to being able to get the producers to fall in love with you?
Speaker 2: I bribed them? No? No, I mean you know, I did not think to myself at all that I was going to make it on. You know, there was no and you know I got the I got the with my audition video, and you know, I was actually very close to I actually recovered my audition video from the bin because I was like, you know, I'm not going to do it and.
Speaker 1: Scratch it and then here we are. You know, this season, I feel like it's very hard to predict who is going home and I've always wanted to know. With RuPaul's drag race, what's it like in the actual work room. Do you get a sense of who's going to go home?
Speaker 2: Absolutely not. I mean you see more watching it back, You're like, ah, okay, I can see because you're seeing everything. You know, you're seeing everything once, but when we're there, you know, you don't know what the others have spoken about with other mentors or stuff like that. You don't know that in there doing a thing, doing the best you can. And then I guess it all just comes down to I guess what Rude decides. I think you know, you just you don't know. So I think that's why us as a whole, we were all like, we're just going to enjoy this as much as we can because we don't know who we're going to lose.
Speaker 1: And there's been some edits, like you know, RuPaul's Drag Race has been on TV for so long and you kind of become skilled at the art of trying to pick it. And in the American version, I sometimes got to the point where I could sit there in the first five minutes and go, that's the person's going home. She got the first Master interview, that kind of stuff. But I never saw you leaving in this episode, and maybe that says more about me and my fandom for you and less about the show.
Speaker 2: I guess that's kind of good. You know, it's that shock value. You know, I would have preferred a double save to be honest, or even an art simone edit, you know, get to jump back out of rubbish. But to TV shows, you know first and foremost, and it's the way the cookie crumbles. I guess someone's got to do it, someone's got to go home eventually, But it was me, unfortunately why But I was very honored. I enjoyed my time there, so no complaints.
Speaker 1: You have a lot of confidence in the way in which you present yourself, which came out in your pieces to camera.
Speaker 2: Do you think that.
Speaker 1: Your mood on the day that you shoot those talk pieces really defines the way that the audience get to know you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think, you know. My my goal I just been going on there. You know, I didn't really think about anything too much. I was just like, my mindset of go in was like, I'm just going to go in and be myself and show as much of my personality as I can. And watching it back, you know, I was kind of like, oh, okay, good. You know, I didn't come across like boring Betty. My personality did come across And I think I always try and remain positive and always try and sort of keep in that mindset of going if I'm not feeling too well or I'm not feeling great about something, It's not the end of the world. There are people out there who are starving and have gone through terrible things. So I can't really sit here out because I'm on a TV show and it's not going the way that I want. So I think it's just a matter of sort of keeping that head, that mindset and being like, I'm just going to try and be myself and show my personality as much as I can and hopefully entertain everyone watching.
Speaker 1: You know, there's been a lot of talk about sabotage online and in the work room. Do you think that RuPaul's Drag Race is more competitive in the way that our girls play the game in comparison how it's played overseas.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing I think, and you know, I don't truly know because I haven't been on set overseas, and watching the show and being there in person two different things. Especially doing Drag Race. I will never judge another show in my life based on just watching it, and this is my cake. I think the American versions are more competitive and more strategic, whereas I think the down undergirls are very like ah, you know, whatever happens happens, you know, and Molly's choosings, I don't think we're sabotaged at all. Like, I don't think that was her mindset going in. I don't think she was trying to play the game and be strategic. So I think it was very much like on the spot decision of going, oh, you know, okay, we're just going to these two together, you know, but like she said in the episode, you know, ah, they're both in yellow and we'll just put them together. You know, I think it was very bad. It was she didn't really get time to think about it, and you really don't. You don't really have time to sort of sit there and ponder and go hmmm, unless you're trying to pick what's in the treaty's underwear. Really drag that out and take my time. But yeah, you don't really get time to sort of think. And I think, you know, it was just very that, you know, Molly's Molly's intent is always good.
Speaker 1: Well, Molly Popin said, miss congeniality is out the window. I'm here to win, which you very quickly pointed out in your piece of camera, And so for you it was not going unnoticed that she might have been like that. Do you think that Molly is being too strategic or is that just good gameplay?
Speaker 2: I think she's good at gameplay. And this is the thing, you know, Molly's always got a good heart, but she's not above game playing. She knows what she wants. So I think Molly was very in the mindset of just doing her and just sort of yeah, looking out for like, you know, number one. Because I was very close to beating Molly, very close to beating Molly in that episode, and I think, you know, I think to myself, well, if that was me, I wouldn't have done that. I would have definitely done different piry because you know, it was one right guess, one correct guess away for beating Molly. I guess so I was, yeah, I was like, oh, okay, I would have I would have definitely changed them. But you know it is what it is. No hard feelings. You just cost me the competition, that's all. No, No, that's so Kiddy's so kidding.
Speaker 1: Well, this all kind of did come out in that mini challenge people talking about the shady pairings. Who do you think was the shadiest pairing that Molly managed to pick.
Speaker 2: Oh Uri and Benky for sure, but again, you know, I think to myself, when I really think about it, it's still paid off to them in the end. I think people, I think then and there, especially in the moment, Uri was very underestimated, and URI's a you know, phenomenal character and actually very witty and very fun to watch. And Spanky, well, Spanky is Spanky. You know, Spanky is just this amazing evervescence of a personality. So I think, you know, really, if you were going to look at it for what it was, putting the quieter one with the stronger personality, you know, kind of does balance out a little bit. I think you Spanky really would have really brought that out of Uri and really embed Uri up and that's why they won. So I think, really, in hindsight, it was one of the best pairings ever. I think, like she said on the episode, is she really wanted to be shady, she would have put me with Minnie, But again, I think, what if that would have gone to a detriment. You know, Minnie and I have worked together for nine years, so we were totally kicked aff.
Speaker 1: Well interesting with Minnie Cooper, you know, she's getting a lot of attention online with people talking about some of the drama that she's creating. Do you think that that's kind of shaken bake drama for her and is that a way for her to get noticed?
Speaker 2: Nope, that's Minnie.
Speaker 1: Okay, You've worked with her for nine years and she starts drama wherever she goes.
Speaker 2: Look, just because I've worked with her for nine years doesn't mean it's been a great working relationship. But there has definitely been no drama or beef between Mini. You know, this is the first sort of I guess confrontation I've sort of ever had with her. So that was definitely a surprise to me. But you know, i'd heard whisper and stuff before, I'd gone over about you know, what Minnie has said about me prior, and so when I found out, you know, when I walked in and saw Minnie was on the show, I was like, oh, But in my eyes, I was like, this is not the time or the place to bring this up. I will I'll take Minnie aside one day and just say hey, what's up. But then all of that happened in episode two, and I was like, well, I guess it's coming out now, so they really they really gave us a really soft, nice edit in episode two because it was a lot harsher and a lot more comfortable than what you saw.
Speaker 1: Do you get nervous worried about that because you know how much was on film, you know, you know how much was shot, So you're thinking, God, what is going to end up in the edit? Has that been a stressful process waiting for the show to go.
Speaker 2: To weir Not at all. I completely put my faith in the producers and editors on the show. I obviously got to know some of it, like a lot of them over there, and they're azing at what they do. And the difference is down under here. You know, we don't really have that villain edit. We don't really have that with nobody has their specific edits. You know, it's very much just like what you see is how it is. There's no editing, you know, there's no no one's trying to, you know, really force an edit onto someone, you know. If anything, I think it's really trying to put everyone in a good light. I think the producers have really tried to betray everyone as positively as they can because we're here to do drag. We're here.
Speaker 1: It's got to be fun.
Speaker 2: It's got to be fun. Nobody wants to be made to feel uncomfortable. So I think it was edited in the most positive way that it could be. And if people are still coming out looking like oursholes, well you can imagine if it was edited to its truest form. You know.
Speaker 1: I thought that Your Bottomless Brunch was actually really great, and I rewatched that episode twice before chatting with you, and the second time round I thought was even better. But I wasn't really sure about the whole fuck you fuck me, and you kind of pointed that out before it happened, and then it didn't seem to land. I guess that must have been really hard for you, working with Beverly Hills when you kind of knew that idea wasn't going to work right.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Like I said, I you know, I don't. I just didn't. I didn't like it, you know, I didn't think it was a good idea, and she was very determined to keep that in and she really wanted it in and very much about compromising, you know, and like I stated on the table, you know, we can do my thing, we can do her thing, and we can leave some room for spontaneity, but yeah, there wasn't a lot of compromise from kind.
Speaker 1: Of like where they could that's I think you've publicly discussed not being happy with the judges critique, you know, and well not the judges, but you know what Reese could have said, or Chris Parker could have said, you know, I guess they could have picked some of more of that up and said, hey, that's not going to work, right.
Speaker 2: I definitely think, you know, going in there, maybe they I think could have said, you know, along the lines of yeah, I'm right, you know, I don't think it's going to land. You know, it didn't. The proof is in the pudding. Didn't really And just even watching it back, I was like, oh god, no, not this.
Speaker 1: It's not good for a podcast. It's not good for a podcast. But this was my face.
Speaker 2: I am very that very that yeah, and I was like, oh yeah. I was sort of like looking through my fingers, like, oh god, no, but we did it, you know, I sort of, I think at the end, and this was a bad choice. On my end was sort of throwing my hands in the air and going, well, fuck it, fine, I'm sick of arguing with you, We'll keep what you want in there.
Speaker 1: I found it really frustrating because for me, it was like Beverly Hills was categorizing over preparation being better or at libbing being better. But for me, you know, I've hosted so many different events and I feel like it's a combination of the two of them, you know. And I also don't think that there's ever a right way to do it. Some people who need to over prepare, great, you over prepare as much as you want. And then for me, I need to have the space to be able to still add lib because if you're a good entertainer, you're always going to need to think on your feet. You can't script at all. And then watching that frustration between the two of you, I was.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, it was. It was so it was so frustrating because you know, you're on drag race. This is We're not just at a gig. You know, we're on drag race. This could possibly mean this could be bake or break time. And I think I have like eight years on her, and I developed that I was I've been fortunate enough to sort of be shown the ropes when I was younger, and I've grown up in drag around amazing hosts and amazing comedians, And so I learned that skill of like there is no wrong or right way to sort of do this. And I said it in the episode where I said, you know, we can prepare a little bit, we can add lib a little bit, and we'll just create that and create that space of trying to bounce off people whilst you're also still trying to keep it slightly scripted for Beverly's sake. So it was a matter of that compromise, whereas I don't think Beverly has quite learned that yet, and I hope that was a learning curve for her. But you can't you can't just do one way or the other. It's a matter of it's a real combination of everything, and there's no wrong the right way. I guess it's sort of just like, all right, well, we know what works for me, we know what works for you. Let's combine the both and let's hope for the best. And I think it was very much of let's it ended up very much being I think seventy thirty.
Speaker 1: Well, I just think the drag is not something you can script very well. I mean, the best drag queens that I know in Melbourne. You know, the best ones are people who know who they are as their character on stage and so whatever happens because you are one character entertaining with another character being the audience, You've got to be able to change and shift and underst stand where it's going to go. I think that's where having more experience really helps, and it really helps you. I mean, I have to say, when we watched all of the reveals of the Queens, your package was so well put together. I thought you were so funny and so natural, and that just goes to show you how much you understand your You understand her, you know, and respect her and understand where that's going to go.
Speaker 2: I think also doing that, you know brunch. You know, I've had a lot of messages being like, oh my god, that's not you, Like that wasn't you at all, And you know it wasn't you know. You come to my local gig, you know I am. I'm off the cuff all the time, completely and ugly made up and completely nonsense. But I've got the whole crowd laughing the whole time. So that's what I basically love doing the most is making people laugh, and I've been doing that well for like I would say, seven years now, and I think, yeah, when that was sort of happening, I was like, I'm uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: Well worked it out though. From the three episodes, You've got a face. There's a face that you pull when you're like, you know, I'm I don't think anyone would pick it up, and I think.
Speaker 2: People I want to know about this.
Speaker 1: A couple of times throughout the three episodes, where you're not completely happy with what's happening, You've got like a go to B face that you pull, and I could see that.
Speaker 2: That's like that, it's like a.
Speaker 1: And I could see it, you know. And then I feel like even in your runway, look, you know, when you were by yourself, there was a moment where I think you thought, oh, this could have been better or something. I think you were a little bit inside your head, and because you're a professional, the average person wouldn't pick up on it. But I watch live entertainers all the time, and I see it, and yeah.
Speaker 2: That episode was I was completely full of doubt inside my head and which I swore to myself I wouldn't do, but you know I was. I was hungry, I was tired, you know, there was so many things. I was feeling home sick. You know, we're also going to remember we're also there a lot longer than you see your camera. Also, I was just having a moment that day, you know, having a moment. It wasn't my week. I was feeling pretty bummed out by the toast. I felt like I sort of bombed, you know, and I did. I felt in my eyes, you know, because that wasn't me. I wasn't giving pamara and you know, there was some funny things that I had said, especially about colonization. There was like a funny joke in there about colonization, and that was like, ah, great, Like you know, people are fucking laughing the ads off about that one. But that was basically it for me, and I think the rest of it was sort of like, yeah, I just sort of felt uncomfortable. And then on the runway, I was just like, you know what, I'm just go out there and just present this gown. And I think, you know, that was my one of my most absolute favorite things to wear ever. I was so proud of it and so hot to wear it. And the funny thing is is when Ree says Mark. And I heard Reese say that on the day, and I remember I remember thinking to myself, Oh my god, don't don't laugh, don't laugh. But you know, that's where I had to sort of go, well, we're going to brush it off. We're going to shake it off, We're going to go present this down and hope to God that maybe this pulls me over the line. You know.
Speaker 1: One of the things I wanted to know though after the show. You know, if you're clashing with any of the queens, is there a system where you get any support to help any animosity between you and say someone else, like if there has been a bit of a rumble in the jungle, so to speak, through the production. Is there anyone that can jump in and try and help you girls, or do you just have to work it at yourself?
Speaker 2: You work at yourself. You know, we're adults. I guess I think it's sort of like, you know, figure it out. We do have a psychologist that we could call at any moment, but that's our own choosing if we ever want to do that. But no, if there's any and it must be you know, just figuring it out yourself when there was you know, there was, there was tensions built up, you know, from day one. I think there was a lot of many had these sort of little jabs that she'd sort of do it me little one line is that she'd sort of do it me since stay one, and I think since and then you know, when episode two happened, that was sort of just like, oh, you know what, I've had enough of the shit and it sort of blew up and then it never really recovered and it hasn't still. But that's not through that's through her lack of trying not mine should even make eye contact with me, you know. But that's just that's just me. I'm used to it.
Speaker 1: There's something so much better about the community of this experience and enjoying the relationships ian it becomes like family. So anyone that is going to choose to have that problem, I mean, they're the ones that are kind of excluding themselves.
Speaker 2: Right absolutely. But also at the same time, you know, sometimes it's best not to be friends with people. I think, you know, especially on my scene and the way that they've bullied them. I don't really want to be friends with people like that.
Speaker 1: So I feel like, if we're going to call someone a bully, though, we have to bring them into the room. So I'm looking forward to holding a drink in my in my hand at one o'clock in the morning and being in the same rum as the two of you at one o'clock.
Speaker 2: One o'clock. Let's call it a good ten pm. But then after that, I've got to get some hungry Jackson go home because you know, no, you know, you really do, you do. They do have to be present, but you know, I'm one of those people that won't say anything behind someone's back, that I won't sit of their face exactly. Yeah, you know, you've just got to really let it go, you know, you do. You have to let it go. You find where your your people are, and that's it. You find where you people are. You find your good relationships and you did you just deal what you work with them, and you live life and you move on. You be happy and you make you know, your bake bread and that's it.
Speaker 1: I feel like I missed out on the opportunity to ask a question about your red fulfilled look before when you were talking about with a runway look, I wondered, you know, with that looked so amazing during the runway, but with the lip sync where you did the peel and reveal. I wasn't sure if you were happy with the peel and reveal, like the panty piece that you were underneath.
Speaker 2: It didn't that was not intended reveal. What that was not an intended reveal at all. If it fucking was, I would have put on red underwear. I would.
Speaker 1: They did you the favor though of cutting it out though, because they were like, you know, for a lot of it, they were just cutting you from the head up anyway. But I just was like, oh, I thought that was a peel and reveal. It goes to show how stupid I am.
Speaker 2: So many people did you know there was a I was watching a YouTube series of people being like, you know, I just wish she had bread undermere on and blah blah blah, and it's like, well, so do I, so do I. But I didn't plan on revealing. I didn't plan on ripping off my skirt. I didn't plan on that at all. But you know, sometimes you've got to think on your feet and just go with it. I was not about to go down without a fight, and I wasn't about to dance in forty meters of Gavid fabric. You know, it just gotta do what you gotta do, and that means taking off your skirt to reveal you're delicious. Nude panties.
Speaker 1: Nude panties. I was like, nude panties is not what needs to happen right now, and it just yeah, now it's all makes sense.
Speaker 2: What you've got noude panties is what I had on and that's all I had. Look, it could have been worse than it could have been black panties, and we already know.
Speaker 1: Don't worry. I was running late for this interview, and so were you. But I've been sitting here waiting for you to get here. So I'm sitting here with no pants on, which you can't see. But I was you could turn up at any point, so I was like, I can't leave the room to go and get my pants. So turns out we have a lot in common, my friend.
Speaker 2: You know what, the fun fact is, I'm not wearing cants either.
Speaker 1: That's what makes a good podcast, right, But I've got to be comfortable. We're gonna move on, you know, just quickly before you go. One of the things I wanted to ask you about the overall tone of this series was is our humor a little bit more bawdy and a little bit more outrageous than any other version around the world. Do you think that we as Australians and New Zealanders, that we have a more body sense of humor?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? Our ourisons of humor is unlike anyone else's, like like it's it's so it's so unique and it's so different, but it's so funny. It's it's amazing, you know. I love I love the down Under sense of humor and I just think it sometimes doesn't, you know, always translate to people outside of down Under and that's a shame. But you know, hopefully I think the more and more seasons that happen, you know, maybe the Australian humor might rub off a little bit and they might, you know, start understanding it some more.
Speaker 1: I always ask, what's something from behind the scenes of the series that you worked on, But you know, there's so many rules and regulations, you know when it comes to RuPaul's Drag Race, which I completely respect. It is a huge global franchise. So I've bumped that question out now and I'm now just asking a series of questions I call it shady or and you have to work out whether you want to be shady and answer the question or be a lady and veto it. Alright, shady, old lady. Who was the most talented?
Speaker 2: Oh god, that's a loaded question all of us? I mean that depends what the talent is, but yeah, all of us.
Speaker 1: So you don't think there was one person, not someone who's progressing. I mean it could be faux from the first episode, like, you don't think that there's one person that you just were like, Wow, they are really talented but unnoticed.
Speaker 2: Could Hannah beat me in a look yes? Could I beat her in a dance off? Yes? Could Beverly beat me in a dance off? Yes? Can I beat her in comedy? Yes? You know, everyone had their strength and skills.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm going to say that you said lady for that one because that was not shady at all. That was lovely. You were a lady. Who is the funniest?
Speaker 2: Can I give a top three?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Just one?
Speaker 1: How are you bad at this? I was expecting you to be like, bang bang bang.
Speaker 2: Fine me me ben me there that what you wanted me?
Speaker 1: Your top three? Who's your top three?
Speaker 2: Me? Hannah speaky.
Speaker 1: Okay, who is the messiest queen?
Speaker 2: This will be shady messiest.
Speaker 1: So and this is the last one for you who deserve to go instead of you.
Speaker 3: Oh fuck me, Ben Jesus Christ really end with a doozy Oh god, Oh I don't know.
Speaker 2: Don't do that to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is what it is. I mean, no one's gonna They're not gonna come for you. Have They just just be like because I've.
Speaker 2: Already said a name so many times in this podcast, and I don't want to seem like I'm really coming at it because I'm not. But current consensus between you know, me and the other girls, I'm gonna say, Minni.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, we got there at the.
Speaker 2: Edge because of the nipause.
Speaker 1: I don't want to start on a thing. I don't want to start on a thing. I'm not Richard's from the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills close to it anyway. I just want to say how fantastic I thought you were. I absolutely loved you. I honestly thought as I was watching the series you were a top three queen for me. I'm so disappointed that you've gone. But one thing is for sure, like the rest of the world. We will be in your audience, so I look forward to seeing what you're doing next. And thank you so much for your time.
Speaker 2: Ah, thank you, Ben, it's been it's been great, you know, it's been great talking to you. You're fantastic and I can't wait to show what I've got coming up, and there's a lot, so stay shinned.