Speaker 1: Welcome to Law the Podcast. I'm Lex Lazarie.
Speaker 2: I'm Greg Barnes.
Speaker 1: So Greg, it's been a busy week in Victoria particularly.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, it's not as bad as the UK lex where they've had pretty class seven prime ministers in ten years. That's true, it's actually counting up. We've only had three in Victoria in the last twelve years, which is by the standards these days, pretty good.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Anyhow, we've got a new premiere and the first thing he did in his press conference was to announce the Royal Commission into the construction industry, and parallel with that the appointment of a special prosecutor.
Speaker 3: In my government, integrity will not be optional, whether in business, politics or the union movement. There will be zero tolerance for those that misuse their positions. My first action as Premier well be to call a Royal Commission into the construction sector.
Speaker 1: So I'm sure people think that's a good thing, and it probably is. But I don't know about you, but my experience of Royal commissions is that they go on for a very long time, they cost a very large amount of money, and there are times when whatever they find doesn't really come to anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, you've got experience like you did the Ambulance Royal Commission over twenty years ago. Now, yes, that's right, and of course you're involved in the costag and Royal Commission, perhaps Australia's most famous. Yeah, Royal Commission.
Speaker 1: I think that one was worthwhile. And what that commission tells me is that this one, if they do it properly, is going to be incredibly complex. Yeah, and we are going to be sitting around for years waiting for something to happen. And the question is what is it that people want to see happen. Yeah, I presume they want Daniel Andrews and Cindra Allen and the witness box being vilified.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, I mean my problem with royal commissions and I backs, etc. Iback's not as bad as IKAK is that people think. I've had people say this to me, what have they been charged with while they're giving evidence? And in relation to IKAK in New South Wales they're guilty. Well, there is no concept of guilt. There's a finding I think you can make of corrupt conduct in New South Wales. But on the other hand, I think this was inevitable. I mean, just the nine newspapers the Age, Nick McKenzie. It just never stopped, day after day of headlines and I thought a royal commission was inevitable and she should have done it, you know, just In Arellan should have done it months ago.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying it's a bad thing. Probably it's an appropriate thing to do in the circumstances, given the allegations.
Speaker 4: The Big Build in Victoria is a massive infrastructure scheme largely financed by the public purse. It should be a source of massive pride, especially for the Victorian labor Premier, just Cinter Allen. Instead some massive scare, one of the largest in Australian history, where gangland figures and other crooks have ripped off billions of dollars from the taxpayer.
Speaker 1: I think an outcome is a long way off, yeah. I don't think people realize how far away an outcome is, yeah, or how much difference to the outcome.
Speaker 2: W What is it about building unions? You know the cfmu's predecessor, Yeah, it was the BLF, which you had something just for those who are much younger than us, which is just about everyone. The BLF, the Builders Labors Federation, was a union very militant union in around Australia, but particularly in Victoria, led by a very colorful character called Norm Gallagher, and it used to be it was, you know, a rogue union, and the state government in Victoria and the federal government went after at a variety of levels. But even that, if you look at that, that took years.
Speaker 1: I wound up connected with it because I was assisting a man who was designated by the Cane government I think as the custodian of the bolf's assets, because the government seized the bolif's assets and then we had to try to work out what to do with them or distribute them to the membership, and we're very unpopular. When it came to the union, didn't they turn up on your door? They turned up on the doorstep. I looked out the window one day and saw Channel ten parked out the front, and the police officer it was assisting said the union will be here soon, and sure enough they turned up, with John Cummins leading the change.
Speaker 2: John Cummons was one of their leaders.
Speaker 1: They came into the building and John Cummins and I had a very cordial discussion on national television about what we were doing.
Speaker 2: That's gold. It's fantastic now producer Matthew would tell us that is gold.
Speaker 1: Is that right, Matte, Yeah, yeah, that's my case phrase. Anyhow, it was they were exciting times. But yeah, all those royal commissions, anything to do with the BLF or the c fm EU, they're going to be complicated, complicated and it's going to take a long time. Well we've already seen with the c fm EU. There was the appointment of Mark Irving, who's a barrister by the Commonwealth Government I think in relation to the c f U, and he had two heart attacks in the job, you know, I mean it really took it.
Speaker 2: Out of him. But the CFMU has been, you know, the most high profile union in Australia for a long time for not always the right reason. Should we say that?
Speaker 1: So it's going to be watch this space, all right, Well let's can I we move on to a pit issue of mine?
Speaker 2: Why not? Lex? I mean, it's your show, lex I just turn up.
Speaker 1: Everywhere just a humble podcast or employee I think the real employees. Does I mean we're making money? I don't not yet, I don't think so. I made a speech at the cast and Center for Human Rights about it was really to do with judges. And I made a speech at the Bali the Clan conference about judges sticking up for them, but this is not so much sticking up for them. So, as you know, I've been a long time opponent of the death penalty, and in particular the death penalty in Singapore since two thousand and two when our client Van Uen was arrested and then executed in two thousand and five. And I've been very critical of the process, very critical of the way the system works in Singapore, the unfairness of it. And of course the death penalty in Singapore for drug offending is mandatory over fifteen grams in relation to heroin, and that's the fault of the government. But the court imposes the sentences, and it's a very chilling situation to sit in a court and see your client sentenced to death by a judge who simply shrugs his shoulders and says, I have no choice. The penalty is death and then walks off the ba. Since World War Two, Singapore has executed something close to six hundred people. Well that's a lot of people. So the number of executions in Singapore now as of two weeks ago is now fifteen for the year. They are the only country, only one of four countries that executes people for drug offending. The others are Qaight, China, a couple of other countries. So the court, as you would expect, it's not unlike our court system has a Court of Appeal, has a High Court, has a General Division and an appellate division. And there's this other division of the Singapore Supreme Court called the International Commercial Court, which has a number of international judges. And the judges on that court sit and hear commercial cases, either sitting as arbitrators or as judges as at first instance. Now on that court there are five judges. You are Australian Justice Baptist, Justice Bazanco, Justice Giles, Justice Jones and Justice mah and on the appellate bench, Justice Also and Justice French. So seven Australian judges sitting on the Commercial in the Commercial Division of the Singapore Supreme Court. I say their presence on that court is, among other things, to bring respectability to the court system in Singapore. They're there because they're Australian and Singapore Government can boast that these distinguished judges are members of the court and bring the associated prestige. But they are also there effectively bringing respectability to a system that executes people. We are in Australia, we have been since the nineteen nineties a part of a regime against the death penalty, where signatory to the relevant United Nations Protocol, we've declared that we are anti death penalty. We've passed legislation to stop any jurisdiction in Australia bringing the death penalty back in Australia. So my position is these seven Australians should not be sitting on that court because they bring a respectability to the court that it doesn't deserve giving the given that it executes people.
Speaker 2: I'm with you. I think that you know, sitting on courts of countries which and let's face Singapore is a foe democracy. It's a democracy in name only. But you've also got, for example, in Nahru, a very problematic corrupt regime with Australian judges sitting there in Hong Kong.
Speaker 1: And Hong Kong is another one in fact penalty situation in Hong Kong.
Speaker 2: But no, but some judges have left, I mean some as have said we won't be part of this, Yeah, and left and some have stayed and some have stayed, and I think the ones who've left have done the right thing. I mean, that's not to attack the integrity of these judges, but what it is to say is that I think it's a bad call on their part.
Speaker 1: Well, it makes it with Singapore, it sort of makes it look as though there's some kind of seamless relationship between our court system and theirs, and there just isn't.
Speaker 2: They just no, they can't be.
Speaker 1: No, you can't have a seamless relationship with the jurisdiction that it pays as the death penalty if we're serious about our opposition to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I agree. And the thing about the death penalty, of course, is that it is always unjust. Always there is no situation in which the death penalty is justified. In my opinion, it's not just these countries, but it's also in some ways a reflection of Australia's foreign policy, and this is moving into other areas that we're prepared to cut deals, very cozy deals, military, legal, otherwise, with countries that are ra arch exponents of the death penalty.
Speaker 1: Well, the president of the United States, Yeah, is an art supporter of I mean we just ignore that.
Speaker 2: We're just pretending that if your skin was brown. Yes, you know, I think, you know, it reminds me a bit. You know, when apartheid was the rule in South Africa, that is, the whites being privileged and treated in a particular way as opposed to blacks. No Australian cricketer would go over there. Well they did in the eighties, but there was a ban, and there was a ban I think on a range of exchanges with South Africa. And you know, I think in relation to Singapore, the whilst these judges are independent, I think the government ought to be sending a message that it's not particularly helpful.
Speaker 1: I think that's right. I agree. I think the government should persuade senior judges in Australia not to take appointments in Singapore.
Speaker 2: I mean, there are plenty of other appointments to take.
Speaker 1: You know, there's a Royal commission coming up as a royal committee's always work here.
Speaker 2: No, No, you'll get a headline out of that lexic looking for head Well, you're going to get one because it's a it's a it's a view that I think, good on you for being courageous enough to say it, because there'll be a lot of those in the law who'd be a bit timid about saying something like that. But I'm assuming you're not going to appear in front of any of these I.
Speaker 1: Don't think I will, look, I don't, I don't. I want to make it clear. I'm not trying to impugne there the personally, and I understand why they're there, and I mean, these are these are these are very high level, very smart, but very intelligent people. I just from the life of me, cannot see why they can't see that there's a most unpleasant connection to all this and they're part of it. You can't. You can't segment it from the reality of what happens in Singapore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, I agree.
Speaker 1: We talking about politics.
Speaker 2: One issue I wanted to raise was we had the recent ALP conference, which, of course, like all these conferences these days, is useless because it's just stage managed, wasn't it. Particularly and now on you hear ed Husick trying to move a meaningful motion on Israel. But the ALP, traditionally around Australia has been opposed to mandatory sentences, so in other words, that you have to send a person to jar, whether you like it or not.
Speaker 1: For those who are not particularly familiar, a judge can find themselves in a case where they're having to sentence somebody and there's a piece of legislation that says the minimum sentence you can impose is x us. The best example is probably the Northern Territory where for murder the man Tree sentence is life yep, and the Mantree minimum, particularly if you murder a domestic partner, is twenty five years. Yeah. So it means, regardless of the circumstances of the case, that's the minimum sentence you have to impose. Yeah, And a lot of judges would look at that and just say, well, it's how can you possibly do that? How can you general just like that?
Speaker 2: So it's unjustin the ALP's position, although of course the ALP was one of the first in fact act in ninety the nineteen nineties, I think there were proposals by the ALP in Western Australia who introduced mandatory sentencing. Having said that, it's mainly been conservative governments, but the ALP's platform used to say that it was opposed because it didn't reduce crime. And also interfered with judicial independence. They've now watered that down to essentially say, well, we observe that it does that. I mean, you could say in a way that reflects the reality of labor governments that they're no different to the Conservatives now when it comes to lord order campaigns, but because they're governed by the tabloid press. Yeah, but this is a reflection I think of the fact that the only political party now that opposes mandatory sentencing explicitly is in terms of the major parties, is the Greens. I think they're the only ones left. But you know, and there are a lot of good statements out about it. Robert Tichner, former labor in the Hawk and Keyting governments, now runs the Justice Reform Initiative. He came out and spoke against it. I know that within the ALP talking to a couple of people that I know were very disappointed in the attitude. But whilst party platforms don't bind governments, it just means now there's less of a pressure point on governments to think twice about introducing mandatory sentencing.
Speaker 1: The thing about it, Greg is that, I mean, it's very insulting to the judiciary, yeah, because when you think about sentencing a judge. When a judge is sentencing someone, they're supposed to examine all the circumstances of the case, every detail for and against the accused, every aspect of the consequences for the victims, the circumstances of the offense. The sentencing sets out the whole list of what you have to take into account, and then, as they say, come to an intuitive synthesis on what the sentence should be. A fair and reasonable sentence given the circumstances that prevail in that particular case. Sounds it's pretty fair and logical to me. Governments are saying, well, that's not good enough. If you take everything into account and impose a fair sentence, it won't be enough. Therefore, we will impose a manatory sense for this all that offense. Yeah, it's just basically saying the judges, we don't trust sentencing.
Speaker 2: It's a serious incursion into an erosion of the separation of powers. It is, and you know.
Speaker 1: We now just accept it, We must accept it.
Speaker 2: No. No, But people in the community say, oh, well, you know, judges are too soft. I think I might have mentioned in a previous podcast, but I'll mention it again because it's interesting. There's a some academic work done by Kate Warner who was an academic from Tasmania and became governor of Tasmania, and she interviewed jurors who sat on criminal trials and said, what sentence would you have imposed? He's what the judge imposed, what do you think? And they'd heard all the case and in over fifty percent of cases they said, I would have been less. And I think you know, those people would have started, they would have heard at the prosecution side and said, oh, this guy's got to go to jail for a long time. But once they hear the whole thing, they change your view. So you know, one of the problems I think for discussion about sentencing in our community is that well, I think irresponsible media, irresponsible politicians. But I think I think and it's I've been a bugbear of mine, But you and I are media savvy. A lot of lawyers aren't. But I think chief justice, as chief judges, chief magistrates ought to be getting into the media not to talk about cases, but to explain how the system works. They do it periodically, but I think in South Australia, John Doyle who was Chief Justice twenty years ago, had a regular gig on the ABC The Morning Show, and I think Wayne Martin in Western Australia used to do it regularly. And I think it's really important, Yeah, because the humanizes them. They're not just the Chief Justice there, Bill or christ or whoever they are. But they can talk about things and there's no reason why they can't take questions from the audience because they're screened. You know, we can't talk about particular cases, but if you've got a question. And courts, I think even though they've spent money, as your court did on media teams, I don't think it's having any impact really when it comes to being judges being available to talk chief the leaders of courts. I just think it should be a regular thing. They should come on our podcast.
Speaker 1: Funny you should say that, because I did leave a message with the executive Assistant to the Chief Justice here in Victoria yea as he's a good guy, Yeah, asking Justice Nile, Chief Justice Nile, asking him to consider coming on. I haven't funded it up, but I mean he's an articulate, clever man who I think people would be interested to hear from.
Speaker 2: And I think that The Doyle experiment went pretty well because he didn't talk legal es. You know, he can communicate with people, and my memory was that he would, for example, they would say, well, this case is finished, but here's the sentence. Can you tell us now, he would very rightly stick to the script. Well here's you know, here's what the judge said, and here's why the judge said it, and that's why this is relevant and that's not relevant and explain it because you know, people don't read, they don't go around to read sentencing remarks. They rely effectively on media TikTok. You know, pseudo celebrities like christ chardy X footballer's wife. Beck's who the Herald some seems to think is a go to per on criminal justice issues. Crime in Brighton, crime in crime in Brighton. For those who don't live in Brighton, that's the how you're sat well in Sydney, it's just Brighton or Sands. I think in South Australia is just Brighton, but not in Victoria. But let's just you know, we talked about we had Abbi Raj Kumar on to talk about, yes, the Northern Territory and she was fabulous And for those who haven't listened, please listen, because she really exposed what's going on up there. But it got me thinking. You know, Western Australia, which has a huge Indigenous population, so does Queensland, and it's equally depressing in terms of the number of Indigenous people in their jail system. The fact that they also have mandatory sentencing really harsh laws, which I know having to talked to some Western Australian judges, they are pretty uncomfortable with. You know, we've got this federal government policy of closing the gap. We can talk about health in each everything else, but when it comes to criminal justice, you know, we've still got deaths in custody, as we talked about with Abby and including in w WA, some really horrific cases. We've got in Queensland now this adult crime adult time laws which are affecting disproportionately Indigenous kids, but even smaller things such as you know, during COVID in New South Wales, the surveys that were done showed that there was a disproportionate number of Aboriginal people who were fine for not wearing masks or being out on the street when they shouldn't have been. It's just it's not just the territory, it's out Australia.
Speaker 1: No, Yes, that's right. I mean we've got a Curry Court here in Victoria. Yeah, which I think works pretty well, doesn't it. So the Curry Court, I've appeared there.
Speaker 2: It's an amazing experience where you go to court with your client as an Aboriginal clients, and the judge comes down from the bench and sits at the table, and the two Aboriginal elders there and I've seen young Aboriginal kids, you know, nine twenty sit there and the elders speak with them and it's so powerful, much more powerful than what I could say to them or the police could say to them, more a judge could say. But I noticed that. I think that the Curry Court, which was started by Rob Holes who was Attorney General in Victoria, I think we're going to get him on one day. I don't think it's been fully replicated in other jurisdictions around Australia, which is a pity.
Speaker 1: Yes, I must say in defense of the judiciary and the Northern Territory. From what I saw while I was up there, judges of the Northern Territory Supreme Court were extremely conscious of the need to try to emulate that kind of performance. A lot of them have an understanding of Indigenous language. They've made it their business to know where people are from and to know that details of that part of the country. They can talk to them in terms that they can understand. Yeah, and I think, you know, if you're going to be a judge in the Northern Territory, you really have to be able to do that in order to give the Indigenous population some cause for hope.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I had a coffee with when I was in cal Gurley doing a case few years of coffee with a judicial officer. And that judicial officer a pretty conservative person that worked for the Western Australian government, lived in the western suburbs of Perth, which is sort of leafy suburbs, And it was at the time when Trump was trying to ban critical race theory, which very briefly is a theory that says there's basically systemic racism. The system, if you like, including the legal system, is inherently racist. And it's big in the US of course because of the disproportionate number of African Americans in the prison system. Now that judicial officer going out to Bush Courts. So, in other words, was going out of Carl Gurley two or three hours to sit in a hall or in a room and hear cases. And that person said to me, we're talking about critical race theory for some reason. And that person said to me, I didn't understand what it was, but you know, this has been a real eye opener for me. I'm a person in my fifties. Of course, it's true. It was amazing and they'd only been there about six weeks, but they'd seen it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't know what the answer is. I mean, the federal government would be appalled to him, he said this if they were all interested. But I sort of get the feeling that since the Voice referendum far out there's been a lot of interest in Indigenous That's.
Speaker 2: What I was hearing when I was up in Darwen and we did that podcast. That's what I was hearing from people that since the Voice referendum lost, the momentum is what a tragedy ship Well, absolutely, trap, mind you we can talk about this another day. I ran the Republic campaign for Malcolm Turmbulin in ninety nine and this was a carbon copy where the no case recruits a couple of people, a couple of Indigenous Australians, recruits them onto their committee, like they did in the republic campaign, where they recruited Republicans who didn't like the particular model.
Speaker 1: The model.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then they say, oh, this is going to change the world. Your world's going to be turned upside down. It's going to be chaot, it's going to be terrible. And they won. And this is exactly I said to journalists. I'm just reliving what happened to me in ninety nine and that's the tragedy.
Speaker 1: So but it's the federal government that really needs yea, they need to drive it and in fact, in fact they should intervene.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's Northern Turretories, fild state, but there are parts of Western Australia in Queensland which you could equally so failed regions, failed states.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, as I said when we did the Northern Territory episode, we've we've just got to keep our eye on this hand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, keep coming back. Well, it's a national you know, people say, are the inter but it's a national Not only is it a national issue, it's an international.
Speaker 1: Issue, international human rights.
Speaker 2: And the premiere of Queensland when the UN came out and slammed their adult crime adult time laws, said well, I menstarable to the people of Queensland. I don't care what the United Notions says, you know, intelligent response not anyway, God, the chat has always let us plenty more to chat about.
Speaker 1: Well, of course you can like.
Speaker 2: Us now on and download us on YouTube and Spotify, and you can leave comments. And we've also got our own email address I think, and Matt will correct me if I'm wrong. It's law the podcast or one word at gmail dot com.
Speaker 1: Thank you, we're right there with Carl Stefanovic.
Speaker 2: Well, I was going to say so so and keep the comments nice, because I mean, you can criticize it, but just just keep them nice.
Speaker 1: And don't forget to like and subscribe. This episode was produced by Grave Casting Media, edited by Michael Tankard, original music by Justin Humphries from Phoenix Sound Studios. This podcast is recorded on the lands of the Wrungerie people of the Coolan Nation. We pay our respects to their elders, past, present and emerging. Thank you for listening. See you next week.