Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Outspoken. It's your dose of the hottest influencer and pop culture news twice a week. I'm Sophie Tuba and I'm Amy Torber and coming up on today's show, why Matt Zukowski savagely uninvited friends to his upcoming wedding to Tammy Hembro, the Frozen Sandwich debate, dividing the Internet, and our highs and lows of the week. But first, fitness influencer and entrepreneur Steph Claire Smith has been forced to defend her decision to blur her son's face on social media. Yeah so. Over the weekend, Steph uploaded a video of her and her husband Josh Miller, taking Harvey, who's three years old, to a monster truck show. It was a really cute real but all I could focus on was Harvey's pixelated face. It almost looked like he was on the news and he'd been accused of a crime or in witness protection because it switched between his whole face being pixelated or a large emoji. And it was quite funny because at one moment and everything disappeared and you could clearly see his face. I also noticed the blur moved at one point to a man who was sitting behind them. I was like, why is going on here? And as somebody who does video editing, it actually takes a lot of time to pixelate people's faces because you have to keep moving where the pixelation goes. Yeah, definitely makes it more complicated. Now, this is, of course, off the back of Steph announcing last week that going forward, she would no longer be sharing Harvey's face online, and the decision was sparked by Harvey being recognized in the street by strangers. So when he wasn't with Steph and Josh, when he was in childcare or he was with his grandparents, Rando's would come up to him and be like, hey, Harvey, which would be so creepy. Well, last week we were debating how Steph and Josh would navigate no longer including Harvey and their vision. I just assumed that she was going to keep him off socials altogether, but no, they've decided to go with the pixelation, which has elicited a huge response from Steph's followers, and I think it's partly because it's one of the first times that we've seen a local influencer conceal their child's face in this way. Now. While some followers commended Steph's steps to protect her son's privacy, the vast majority seemed very confused by this approach, particularly those who had missed her updates about it. So one follower tagged her friends under the post and said, oh my god, Nah, that's it. I'm done. Blurred face has done it for me, whilst another said it's literally three years too late. All you have to do is go back through her page. Are the three thousand photos and videos of him. People know who she is, they know who he is. Blurring his face won't make a difference, not now now. One of Steph's followers jumped to her defense and wrote back, it's all about consent, right. You may have said yes to it before, but you have every right to change your mind and people should respect that a yes before doesn't mean a yes every time. And I tend to agree with this now. Steph was really visibly upset and frustrated by the critic, and she responded to the negativity by saying this.
Speaker 2: It absolutely baffles me how people feel like they can absolutely chime in to your life and your choices. I understand that there's photos and stuff of him up there from the past. Intention was not to erase him completely from the Internet. It was to avoid putting up anything from now as he's growing into as he looks like a little boy. Whether or not you agree with what we're doing that is totally up to you. But I'm so sick of it. I'm so sick of people's judgment on our decisions for our family. If it's not what you would do, that's fine. I've been avoiding ping contact of his face and that's been fine. That monster truck video was really special to me. It was really fun outing as a family. I really wanted to be able to share it as like the cutest reactions from Harvey and we had the best time. And so the way I talk to sharing that was blurring out his face. That might not make sense to a lot of you who has seen his face on social media before, but it's what we've decided to do. So maybe I'll just go back to not putting him up much at all.
Speaker 1: This is a really hard one because I can see both sides. I think that parenting in this digital age, particularly when you have a large following like Steph, would be really tough to navigate, and I truly think that people do have the right to change their mind and put boundaries in place to protect their children. However, I can see why this elicited such a big response because it was really jarring and confusing to Steph's followers who missed these original posts about it, and it just looked ridiculous. But on Steph's comment about it was a really cute video because of the way Harvey was reacting, we couldn't see his reactions because his whole face was pixelated, And that's the issue I think with this video is that there was no point in sharing it because the Picks took away from this fun family day. It was so distracting. I think, moving forward, if they don't want to share Harvey online, which is one hundred percent fine, maybe choose other content to share that doesn't involve him. The thing is, because we've already had all of this access to his life for three years. To someone who hasn't seen her updates, they're sort of like, oh my god, what has happened to him? Why is he suddenly being blurred like you're just comical? Didn't Yeah, the thing that's concerning is that if suddenly every child's face is pixelated and blurred, or mummy bloggers suddenly cut children out of their content, where are we seeing real life parenting play out? Because for me, I don't have children yet, but I think it's really worthwhile to see the realities of parenting and hear about what it's like instead of being fed the highlight reel all o the time, I have to see their face constantly. I mean, there's also the other debate about, I suppose the safety of the children and how much information is being shared about them online. I understand that you don't want to totally eraise mother's and father's experiences, but is it that necessary for us to see Harvey's reaction to the monster trucks or could we just see that they're on a family day out and here's the back of his head, and Steph could explain what they'd gotten. Also, because all we saw was her reaction, that's what yeah, yeah, and that's what it seemed like she wanted to put out there. I can also see why people are questioning why she hasn't got rid of the other photos of Harvey in her feed. I mean, I'm not suggesting that she has to go back and delete three years of content, but you might remove the stuff from this year because she said, oh, he's growing into a young boy, his features are becoming more recognizable. We'll then go back and delete the recent photos of him. That would make a lot more sense. But maybe it's just a decision they've made from this point forward. We've both agreed as parents that we're not going to share his face anymore. Obviously he's going to change over the next couple of years. But it seems to me that they've just gone from now on, we're doing it. Do you know What's funny? Though, no one's having a crack at and saying, oh, he better go and delete all of the photos of Harvey, Like I hope he's not going to be making Harvey baby chinos and have Harvey's face blurred as he drinks there. That's just the odd thing about it. I'm really interesting to see how Steph navigates this. Now, will the blur continue? I don't think it will. Do you know what? Seeing that blur actually reminded me of when I used to work it today tonight, and I used to feel so bad for the editors because, as I said, It's quite a lengthy task to actually blur someone's face because you have to keep moving the blur. And I remember there was a story and this man's face had to be blurred for legal reasons, and in one scene the editor missed the blur. So this ten minute was like blur, blow, blur, and then it just dropped off. Oh my god. I do think it sends a strong message to her followers though, because this has been covered in a lot of mainstream media publications, that she's wanting to conceal his identity because people have been coming up to him. Now, when people see Steph, Josh and Harvey on the street, they know not to come up and say hello.
Speaker 3: It's pretty savage, like that's red hot from you.
Speaker 4: It's a wedding.
Speaker 1: Matt Szakowski says he was forced to uninvite guests from his upcoming wedding to Tammy Hembro due to numbers being too tight. Talking on his podcast alongside his co host Anna mcavoyd, he revealed his mates were upset when he cut their girlfriends from the list.
Speaker 3: Are people asking for more plus ones?
Speaker 4: Not really a couple? They know that the list is really tight, Ye, Like I've leaned it up. I actually, originally this sounds shit. Has invited a lot of my mates girlfriends that I know and I've known for years. And then I had to send him a message saying, hey, I've had to lean up the list. They're not like I have to uninvite, Like, sorry, dude, that's me. One of my mates was pretty up mortified. Yeah, because but we hadn't handed out the invitation yet.
Speaker 3: Sorry, so you hadn't.
Speaker 4: I'd asked for names and addresses, full names, spelling of theirs.
Speaker 3: If they're and they just assumed their partners have been back.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So one of my mates is pretty savage, like, that's red hot from me. It's wedding, It's the wedding of the year, baby.
Speaker 1: How pissed off would you be if you were one of these girlfriends. You'd probably been telling everybody you're going to the wedding of the year, going to Tammy and Matt's, only to find out last minute that you have been bumped from the invite list, especially because this is a destination wedding and all of Matt's friends and family are in Melbourne. So as soon as you heard it was happening, you would have jumped on booked flights, booked accommodation. I just think the thing that makes it worse is also that Matt has clearly known his mate's girlfriends for years. He said that these people are genuinely friends and he's gotten to know them well. It'd be different if your friend had a new girlfriend maybe you hadn't met. But this is really brutal. I got the vibe from Matt's grub that Tammy had asked him to un invite the guests because maybe she hasn't met the girlfriends. I think it's really different when you were bride and there are restrictions on how many people you can invite. I know, for me, I didn't really want people being at Dale and My wedding who didn't know us very well. I get that in a normal situation you want to invite people that know you as a couple and have seen you hang out as a couple before. But in their case, they literally got engaged after knowing each other for a couple of months and then forged ahead with this very fast wedding. So I'm sure there's a lot of people at this wedding who haven't hung out with them as well. I wonder if Tammy's had to uninvite her friends, like her female friend. I doubt it. He's probably covering the bill. That's the other thing I don't understand. I know some people have to keep their guest lists really tight because of budget constraints, but when you're worth fifty million dollars, you think you can invite a couple of extra people just to save the piece. But maybe it's a specific venue that has restrictions as well. It's quite funny because Dale has been in that situation before before I knew him, and he was with his ex. He got invited to a wedding, but the ex was told not to come, and all of his friend's partners were also not invited, so it was just one big boy's table. That's just asking for drug.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 1: I actually thought, you know what, sometimes there's nothing worse than going to a wedding where you don't really know the people that well and they're not really your friends. So I actually don't mind it. But it's clear that he is friends with these people. It is totally offensive. And what makes it even worse is that one of the girlfriends who has now subsequently been uninvited. It's actually her birthday the weekend of the wedding, so she is flying over to Byron Bay to basically sit in a hotel room by herself. Well, let's be honest, she's probably not gonna be by herself. All of the other jaded girlfriends who got uninvited are probably gonna be up there as well. That's what makes it even tougher though, because if you're invited as a couple, you can split the cost of the accommodation. But I mean, I suppose they could bunk in with other guys there, but it just makes it more complicated. And I personally be pissed off if my husband was going away and sending all of this money to go to a wedding that I hadn't been invited to. It's really cute because Matt also mentioned on the podcast how he'd recently caught up with his grandparents and thank goodness, they have not been uninvited. So they went ahead and booked flights, but they went to flight Centered and booked in with a travel agent to get their flights and accommodations sorted. That is so cute for interstate travel is absolutely darling that they did that, and the grandma actually brought in her invite which had all of the information on it, and apparently one of the travel agents spotted it and was like, oh my god, is this for Matt and Tammy Hembro's wedding And she was like, please don't say anything. You can't tell a soul about it, and was really worried about it. I wonder if this was after the whole Sofa dofa leaking incident. What I want to know is if Matt's having to uninvite all of his friend's girlfriends, how it held it Sofa dofa Coppy an invite because I have never ever seen her hang out with Tammy Hembro, which isn't to say that they're not secretly friends behind the scenes, but they don't even live in the same state. What doesn't not add another level of disappointment for the girls who were uninvited, because this place will be crawling with influence. It's been the best people watching spots, and Matt has actually experienced being uninvited to a wedding himself, which I think makes this even more of a dick move because he knows how shit you feel when you're not included. So a few years ago, when he was attending a wedding with his ex in Geelong, he spent the whole weekend sitting in a hotel room in a suit, waiting to see if he got a call up. And Anna said that it's so hypocritical of him now to do the same thing to others, because he literally would not stop going on about being not invited to this wedding. Now, in tomorrow's subscriber episode, we're going to be talking more about wedding invite etiquette and about a couple who actually sent out You're not invited cards to family of friends ahead of their wedding. Maybe they could have done this. Well, that's just a huge slap in the face, isn't it. And if you do want to listen to that episode, don't forget to subscribe to Outspoken Plus.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna pop this altogether and into the freezer.
Speaker 1: This week, a Sunshine Coast content creator sparked a huge debate in our Facebook group to freeze or not to freeze sandwiches for kids lunchboxes? Now, Amy, this post went off in our group. Can you bring us up to speed? Yeah? So, Asia Easel who shares cooking videos and budgeting tips on Instagram and TikTok, shared with her fifty nine thousand followers on Instagram how she just got back into bulk prepping her three sons sandwiches for their school lunchboxes. Let's have a listen to what Asha said.
Speaker 5: I'm trying to encourage you togs pack their own lunches in the morning. If it means I just would make chanveranges once every couple weeks, freeze it and they packed the lunches, that would make my life so much easier. Let's tell me why I took three full loads of bread just make eight days worth of sandwiches for my boys. Like I did not realize, Like this is how many sandwiches I make in eight days. It's just crazy.
Speaker 1: Her spreads of choice were veggimie and cheese honey and also Ntella. Oh that's the winner there. Yeah, I wouldn't mind a Natella sandwich when I was at school. And I've got to say, eight sandwiches each for three boys, that's a lot of food and requires a lot of freezer space. Is it a sandwich a day?
Speaker 5: So?
Speaker 1: Is this covering eight days of school? Lunchboxes. Yes, that's exactly what it is. So the idea is that in the morning, the kids grub out their sandwiches from the freezer and buy lunchtime. These sandwiches are dishausted, perfect for lunchtime. How soggy would that be? Though? I have never eaten a frozen sandwich before, and I can imagine it would be even more difficult to persuade a child to eat a frozen, soggy sandwich. There was a lot of mixed reaction in our Facebook group. So some people like you, were disgusted at the thought of eating frozen sandwiches, and the main concern, as you said, was that the sandwiches would be so by the time they were defrosted. However, there were a lot of group members pointing out that because of the spreads she had chosen, they would not be soggy by lunchtime. So Asia said she's specifically chosen to tell her honey and also veggimie and cheese because they're not It's all like you're putting a salad sandwich in the freezer, it's gonna get gross, really good point, or a tuna sandwich. A lot of members in our Facebook group who were mums were saying that this is something that they do all of the time. And because when I first saw this, I thought, well, how long does it take to make a sandwich in the morning? Do you really need to freeze and a tell a sandwich. However, I'm not a mum disclaimer, so when I have children and I'm making the kids lunches, who knows I might be fucking freezing everything over It is actually so refreshing to see a mum sharing a realistic lunch box, because as someone who's not even a parent myself, I get enrage seeing these influencers sharing these fancy is it called a bear toe box or whatever the other week and it's like, oh, look at these different apartments and everything's homemade, everything's made by scratch, and it's meeting all of my child's nutritional needs. And it's like, I'm sorry, but when you've got a life, a job, you're looking after a busy household, probably most of the time because your husband's not helping, when you have the time to be coming up with these extravagant lunch boxes. And I think a lot of mums are really loving Asia's content because it's relatable. They're getting good tips on it, and it's budget friendly because I creating one of those big Bento boxes would be so expensive. But I like her content. I had never heard of her before this sandwich debate. I went and checked out her content. She's a Hillary Duff fan, so she's high up there. My only thing is, I'm going to be real. I hate the taste of frozen bread, like I just don't know what is. It just has a weird after taste to it. However, these kids are being given to Tella sandwiches, So if I was a child, I think I could put up with that taste in order to get an a Tella sandwich lunch. Yeah, frozen sandwiches just remind me of aeroplane food or I mean even they seem to serve up very cold sandwiches in nursing homes. I don't think a sandwich should ever be in the fridge. Well, do you know what the worst thing was? Remember when we were all at school, and of course no one had the fancy Stanley cups. You all had an ice drink bottle and it had a tea towel around it with a rubber band, and often that would sit on top of your lunch box, and our mum would always pack us. It was like a bread roll for lunch plane because I think we'd complain about having soggy sandwiches. If there were salad, we'd have an apple for recess. But every time it would get to lunch, because your drink bottle had been sitting on it, it would inadvertently get soggy. And the worst thing is, yeah, they're trying to stomach this bread roll, and there would be kids chowing down on fucking dunk a use yogos roll up Simber. I won't name names, but there was this one girl who her mother. If they had Instagram, like twenty years ago, oh, probably longer than that, twenty five years ago, she would have been the one with the perfect lunch box. I mean, I don't think it was nutritional at all, but she literally had marble cake every day, She'd have chocolate beats, slammed shoes on TikTok. Everyone would abuse her for serving a chiwre well, they would, but I remember she had the most envy lunch box out of anyone. One of our friends used to bring in a whole wheel of bree or cameon beer cheese, yeah, and eat the whole thing at lunchtime. That's a great lunchbox. Do you remember? This is so random, but one of the news stations came down to our school when we were in reception because they were doing a story about junk food. Yeah, and I was in that yees report.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So our mom's a dental therapist and as I said, she would only pack like fucking apple and too bread roll. Anyway, so the cameraman's there filming at lunchtime and he pans to Sophie. And in this shop that was aired everywhere was Sophie opening one of our friends very sugary musley bars, and you had a lot of explaining to do when you got home to her. We were not allowed to have muslee bars, and I was having to explain to Mum that I was merely helping my friend open it for her to remember ghost drop. Sorry, this is getting really nice because we were the best. There was a girl at school and was so terrible because I don't think she had many friends, but she would try and buy friends with these ghost drops, So I shouldn't love but well, actually, recently we found out that one of our really good friends. I won't our best friend. Well, yes, I hope she doesn't mind us telling the story. But we found out that she got a lunch order every day at school. She was living every child's dream. And her mum is American. So she pointed out, well, that's just normal for my mum, because in American schools, everyone goes to school and gets lunch. But for us, we got a lunch order like every term. It was every term, and we would decorate the paper bag. We were that excited. We draw cartoons on it. We'd say thank you to the ladies working in the care I want to know in our Facebook community how frequent your lunch orders were and did every school around the country have pizza around us? What else when you served up? I remember there were Wienas like. I used to be so embarrassed. I worked in the canteen and people be like, could I have a Wiener please? Would it be like fruit balls slash puppies? Yeah? What else? Well, they'd have macaroni and cheese cups for lunch orders. I remember they would have the salads and the teachers would always get it to have like a boiled egg. I would order the salads because I wanted to be like the teachers and they'd have they just have like a pizza that was just in a box. I don't know what that's so much pineapple on it. Yeah, I used to love pizza around as at school, and I went on a mission last year to see if I could find the original ones they'd serve at the canteen. They do still exist, but you literally have to do a bulk order of around fifty of them to get your hands on them. I've seen them at my local Coals and Woolies. They look pretty similar. They don't have vegetarian versions, though, which is what I want. Well, that was a debate we just had off microphone. I think I think they did have vegetarian they didn't. I think the shit ones at the store have ham in it, which is why I've never bought them. Can someone settle this for us? Put in our Facebook community if they had some sort of handy bacon in the See Sophie, this is a picture of ones with hands I understand. I used to order them at the canteen and cam and we pick it out. Let's get into our highs and lows of the week, and I want to start with my low because it's pretty funny. So this last weekend, I had my family and also Dale's family over for an afternoon tea, and Dale's little nephew came over and he's around twelve, and the poor thing, he had no one to play with during this afternoon tea because everyone was adults, so he was kind of just roaming around the house trying to entertain himself. I was outside chatting to all the other adults and Dale's nephew came running out and in front of everyone, amy, why do you own a penguin shaped dildo? And I just the conversation stopped. Everyone's heads just looked at me. I said, what are you talking about? He's like, you have a penguin shaped dildo inside.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: What he was actually referring to is the porcelain penises that we painted at Kate's Hen's party, which was almost two years ago. And I told you that this does not belong in your kitchen. So these are if you're in Adelaide. We've got the plaster fun house and Sophie and I collected these plaster penises for everyone to paint, and I turned mine into a penguin at Kate's hen's party, and it has been sitting on my kitchen bench. I actually had a little hat on it, like your little Mexican hat. You couldn't even really tell what it was anyway, So we quickly catton onto what he's talking about, and our mum, who was at the hen's party, goes, oh, it's fine, sweetheart. We all have them, and everyone just looks at her, like, what on earth it's fine, sweety before all have large diodos in our home. Is quite funny because our mum also has her porcelain penis still on display in her kitchen, which she's quite conservative. I thought she would have gotten rid of that. Mine was living in my garage. That was until I moved house when my in laws spotted it and it got a bit awkward. I think that they should have been disposed of straight after the hen's party. I think I'm gonna have to share a photo of this penis online because it looks very cute. That's why I haven't thrown it out. It's really quite funny. The sweetest thing was one of Dale's friends. Later in the evening, his son came around, and he's five, and we were telling Dale's friend about the incident. Anyway, He's like, bring it out and show Arlo and see what he says. Anyway, we showed him and go what do you think this is? And he goes, it's a penguin that was very whole, so cute. Now, what's your high of the week. My eye of the week is probably a work one because we just attended one of our clients' events and it was a banana split. What would you call it?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: Well, they were attempting to beat the record in South Australia of the most banana splits given away, so they gave away over a thousand banana splits and so it's quite incredible for banana days. So I was filming this and my favorite part of the day was everyone was literally dressed up in bright yellow and then seeing all of the confused shoppers who had also worn yellow trying to work out what was going on. Also, seeing you chow down on a banana split at around ten thirty am was pretty entertaining, going down quite nicely. Isn't that such an old person? Dessert? Like, the majority of the people lining up for these banana splits were elderly men and elderly. They were like, well between fifties, like fifty plus, I say fifty to seventy.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well you could tell who the Almond moms were because there were all these older women that were like, no, no, no, no, I'm not having anything. Oh they'd say, I'm just grabbing this for my husband.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: My high of the week is that its events season. I feel like it's actually getting exciting. I feel like there's so many things coming up. And one of the things I'm looking forward to most is your Halloween party.
Speaker 2: Amy.
Speaker 1: We're having it next Friday. You say Halloween party, I've literally only invited a handful of we I still think that's a party when you're in your thirties. And I have found the perfect pop culture costume.
Speaker 3: So you say.
Speaker 1: Perfect pop culture. Everyone is coming. I don't want to Taylor Swift. Everyone's Swift, but it's Taylor and Travis at Wimbledon. It's basically Sophie rocking up in a nice dress and then everyone be like, who is she meant to be? It's a real token effort. It's not a token effort. I have gone and sourced the red dress. I've got the sunglasses, I've got the jewelry. I'm thinking of buying a clip in fringe. And then it's really Brandon who is going to add to my costume because he is going to be wearing that iconic Gucci outfit that Travis wore with the bucket hat. And has he even got that? Yeah, Well, we are currently going through his wardrobe and we're going to be adjusting and adding a few of the red and green stripes. I'm going to make him a special bucket hat. I think it's going to look really good. I'm looking forward to it, and I'm really excited because a few of our friends have surprise outfits, so I'm one of those people. You're one of those people, and it sounds like the outfits are going to be quite rogue.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The people who have the surprise outfits, they're going for the laughs. Well, I certainly am. Yeah. My love of the week is that I can no longer trust food that is not in a package, and I know that that is not environmentally food. I was at the supermarket the other night and I witnessed a child pick up a bunch of broccolini, put it in their mouth, suck on it, and then proceed to put it back in the box, and it they missed because they were so sure, and it ended up dropping on the ground, and the person's parent came over and proceeded to pick it off the ground and put it back in the box where people were purchasing from. And I was horrified. And my partner pointed out to me, he said, why didn't you remove it from the box so that no one else end up buying it? And that you that's a very good point. But I was almost frozen in disbelief at I kept All I could think about was, Oh, my god, what have I eaten from here in the past that kids have put their hands and possibly mouths all over. So this is your body to wash your vegetables? Yes, I think that is important to what I get confused because I keep seeing these tiktoks pop up and it's people washing berries. They're going through all this stuff like they're putting in all these different cleaning products or just well just to get rid of all of the nasty chemicals that are sprayed on them. Yeah, Sophy, I do have an update for you, and this could add to your high of the week. I have actually found the ingredients lists for pizza around us. Why would this be my home because it does say that they contain pork told you all right anyway, So just to save people from writing in but you are wrong, Amy, do you know what I'm actually gonna make for my TikTok? This is a subtle plugged to go and follow my TikTok which has like ninety seven followers. I'm gonna make my own pizza round us and not have any meat in them. So for people who don't actually, Oh, Sophie and I we grew up vegetarian. I do eat a bit of chicken now, but I'm mainly vegios. I'm gonna fucking flogging your TikTok amy at Amy Torbol. That is all we have time for. On that note, thank you so much for joining us. If you have enjoyed today's show, could you please make sure you are subscribed on Apple Podcasts and also on Spotify. This episode was recorded on the traditional land of the Ghana people of the Adelaide Planes. We pay respect to elders past and present,