Speaker 1: If you're just tuning in now and you've missed the updates, we've had this.
Speaker 2: On BRIT's dog, Delilah, her beautiful Australian shepherd that has the mind of a thirty three year old woman.
Speaker 1: That dog, i'd say like a six one, say, the mind of a thirty three year old, very specific, just such a developed, intelligent dog.
Speaker 2: You look at that dog and you go, that dog has superannuation, that dog can pay taxes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I think your attitude is more like she's quite mature in that sense. Her attitude is more of a like sixteen year old that might not be getting her way well.
Speaker 2: This week we found out that Delilah has been fired from two dog walkers.
Speaker 3: So Britt fired on probation from one, fired from the other.
Speaker 1: Though, yeah, she can't keep a dog walker down. Here's the problem.
Speaker 2: We've exhausted all averages to get help for Delilah. So we found Australia's version. Welcome to the show from Austin's Dog Training Education Vicky Austin. Vicki has worked as an animal wrangler for media, television, commercials, show dogs. She's worked with narcotic scent detection dogs. She's trained dogs in explosive scent detection. She's also worked for Dog's On a Place to call Home Fighting Season Harry's Practice Better Homes and Gardens. If there's someone that confects Delilah in this country, it is Vicky Austin.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the pickup. Please help us, Hi.
Speaker 3: I don't think Delilah's on the same level of explosive detections dog she's.
Speaker 4: Okay, I meant had the opportunity.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, I'll tell you Delilah's problem quickly, like her main problem. So, she's an Australian Shepherd. She's three years old, the most beautiful, sweetest, affectionate.
Speaker 1: Dog you've ever seen.
Speaker 3: Everyone loves her, but when she's with other dogs, she has claimed her dog walker as hers. So whenever another dog comes even remotely close, she's quite aggressive and it's a protection loyalty thing. But I cannot since she's a puppy, and get her out of that protection.
Speaker 4: Yeah. What it is is that she is a bit of a skaty cat and her human, whether it's you or the dog walker, is her security and if other dogs are interfering with that, then it's a risk, you know, to her safety. You know, I could even be very well a risk to her life. In other words, she's not a confident dog. She's scared and she needs that human to protect her. And she's scared that another dog's going to take her human away from her.
Speaker 3: I know, are we about?
Speaker 1: Sorry? I called her a bully? So VICKI, what do you suggest? What can brit do? What can she implement?
Speaker 4: We need to give her confidence. So the very worst thing you could do is any form of punishment or scolding when she does it, because that's going to make her feel like you're rejecting me. And now I really have got a problem because you know, I've got no one to protect me. So what we would need to do instead is make good things happen for Delilah when another dog is around, so she might if she's greedy and she likes food treats, if there's another dog approaching, or you're patting another dog or talking to another dog, Delightah is getting a handful of food treats, or she's having a ball thrown for her. If she's that sort of girl, whatever it is that she likes in life, and it could even be that she gets heaps of attention when another dog's coming. So you might start off with saying hello Polly to the other dog and then oh do nanah, you're so wonderful. You know, of course you're going to get all this attention when another dog is around, rather than losing the attention whenever another dog approaches for its face.
Speaker 1: Right now, I was like, I screwed up.
Speaker 3: Well, no, what I'm actually thinking is she does the same thing with balls and food. So it's like, if you have a ball or of food, she's the same thing that aggress Yeah, aggression.
Speaker 4: The term is resource guarding. So anything she values, she's just simply trying to protect and say, don't take it. This is mine and it's valuable to me and I don't want to share it. So it's the same as food guarding, you know. I mean most people are a lot more accepting of dogs guarding food in their possession. I think we sort of get that, don't we. They don't want their food taken from them. But for some dogs, you know, depending on their nature, it can be their toys, it can be their bed, it can be individual people, or it can be the person that's there at the time.
Speaker 1: Wow, God, thank you Vicky for the help. We do appreciate it. All right, let's go. That's us for the week. If you miss any of the show,