Speaker 1: And music. You actually need the hiatus. You need the rest to be able to come from a place that like you've filled.
Speaker 2: That feeling of like people seeing you and you're seeing them and that energy exchange.
Speaker 1: Like wow, it's I understand why big artists who tore our own cokaine.
Speaker 3: There's a certain duality you probably have had to exist. And you know, being a career woman and then also being a musician, how do you manage that.
Speaker 1: I'm always always be careful those.
Speaker 2: Hi.
Speaker 3: I'm Amanda and I'm Rumby. Welcome to you. It's layered podcasts.
Speaker 2: We're under the Black Past Network powered by iHeart and recording in studio.
Speaker 3: Today and we've been laughing already before we even started this immaculate because you're in Bittersweet studio and with this beautiful setup done by Pink Lady Picnics, We've got a beautiful guests.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome to It's lead like, let's let the people know who you are, put some respect, come on your name, let's just come incorrect. Naha truly personifies the saying that dynamites come in small packages. If you're watching this on the video, you'll see she's looking like five.
Speaker 1: How Wow Gone Wow.
Speaker 2: Above and born singer, songwriter, rapper and spoken word artists based in Melbourne, Australia, attributes her upbringing in Zimbabwe as paramount to her sound and development as a creative artist.
Speaker 3: Her creativity and talent have given her the ability to explore my pole genres and you can never tell what to expect, which she believes is a superpower. A love of psychology, community, enjoyment, and love. Niasha dolves into these themes through her music and visual conceptualization Zoom Today.
Speaker 1: But we've got this, we got welcome. Hello, so good to have you here. It's so so good to have you here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we were giggling having the best time before we press record, and we're so excited to have this conversation with you and to get to know about you because honestly, and I think we said it when we spoke on Zoom before, it's you know, we don't get to spotlight our artists as much as this. You know, it's hard to find and get to really know a bit more about them. So that's why we're here, and we thank you for making the time to be here. So we're gonna go all the way back, Okay, we're gonna.
Speaker 1: Start from.
Speaker 2: How would you describe the music you make and how you got into it, Like when did you know that music was going to be a part of you and who you are going to be.
Speaker 1: I've always loved music as a child. So if we're going back back back to the beninging, when I was in krage, like I was part of all the musical things, like, yeah, I wanted to play the piano I wanted to do And the funniest story about all of that is so my dad used to work in Botwana when we lived in Zimbabwe, and I asked them to buy like a toy keyboard and it was the real thing. So that's how I learned how to play keys. So that's kind of in the journey and the story. If you grow up in church and people spotlight that you can sing, you're gonna be in the choir something that was also my training ground in terms of like developing how to sing singing and how harmonies, yeah, outdoors, all that kind of stuff as well. So that's contributed, but also just the music that I grew up around. Now all of them tookward Z in fact, all the brand of Farsis and Malaika, all that kind of influence from all over the place, and then later on the Lauren Hills and the different stuff that I listened.
Speaker 2: To now that i'm but your stage presence is really like something to note. You have an energy and your engagement of the crowd. I think I saw a clip of you at an event or I don't if it's a wedding or something, but even just like how you got everyone going, I think it's something that so many people can sing, but not everyone can entertain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, take that distinction.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So when you listed like a brend of Fassi in terms of like your inspiration, like, I'm like, okay, I can see that. Like for the performance aspect, could you share like some of your influences.
Speaker 1: Oh those are really tough to think off the top of my head. But hm, I guess you could say Brenda. But it's just more just watch it. I enjoy. Like if I go to a concert, for example, I immerse myself in like what the artist is trying to do. So that's why I like, for example, I like to be there early because I want to see, Okay, how are the people here? Because your audience is also like reflective of the type of music that you made, the kind of energy that you give off, and then how they start the show and how they end the show. So every time I go to a concert, you can see me with my phone like, Okay, I like how they did that. I'm a big learner. Yeah, So I wouldn't say I have one specific influence. I just learn from whoever I encounter.
Speaker 2: That's so true, and that's why I say, I know people are giving Kendrick Lamar a hard time about doing the super Bowl, But if you've watched him in concept, you know he ain't no rapper standing there with the mic.
Speaker 1: Let's just put it out there.
Speaker 2: So I think people have this misconception that, like, oh he speaks on very deep topics or whatever, he can't perform. But you're yeah, I mean the other.
Speaker 1: Super Bowl that he did and he had the guys that went hard, the Doctor dre One, Yeah, yeah, yeah, I remember.
Speaker 3: I mean, you've toured just recently with Sampa the Great. Can you tell us more?
Speaker 1: What? Well? It's what would you like to know? Why can you tell Touring with Sampa was interesting in two ways because I've known Samba for a really long time, so we had developed sort of a friendship in comparison to like working together. So the opportunity actually came because one of her backing vocalist actually felt sick. Yeah, it was Yeah, it was really tough for the crew. And then we were all in Adelaide for this first of all called War Adelaide, And initially I was only meant to do like the spoken Word that I'd done the previous year. And she sent me the tracks and she's like, hey, you know there's a song called black Role Magic and whatever. Whatever. Are you able to like just jump in with us? All right?
Speaker 2: Cool?
Speaker 1: I'm like trying to learn the songs. And then next thing, you know, she was like, I mean the whole set, and I was like, okay, so I'm getting my makeup ready to go to the show. Wow, trying to figure out the harmonies.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, that is a true artist right there.
Speaker 1: Insane. We're driving, I'm listening to it. I'm like, okay, I need to learn the words. Yeah, so learn the harmonies, learn where to go in, where to stop. We're just like it was just insane. So I just went on that stage, didn't knew what I knew. And luckily, because Sample is my friend, I listened to her music, so I need I've been to the rehearsals and we just went and did it. Then after that her other working vocalist, TiO, was also a great musician in Zambia, had to take some time off and then she asked me to join at all. And then that's isn't that a story of stay ready? So you don't.
Speaker 2: Because you obviously you know your craft, so you prepared to learn and understand music and all that, so when you're called in, you're ready to rumble. I know, I'm sure it was you know, a lot to do. But at the same time, I think you'd have you built that muscle right so that you could step up to the plate, which is a lesson online.
Speaker 3: Because I saw I was laughing and I was thinking life on toll how is that? And I was like following you and seeing all your you were like hot take you know Victoria.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I was like, you know what one of the.
Speaker 3: Represent how was it being on tour, going on stage? Like how does that feel? Day after days? I think people just see the end, right, we see you. You don't see the reversals, the creative behind that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's so funny? As well, like after that the war made laid situation that I'm talking about. So she asked me to come on tour. She send me the music and I'm learning it, and I thought when we got there, would you have like a one two? So yeah, we got there and they're like, okay, this is our stage, like is tomorrow We're just gonna have a discussion, I said, a discussion music. So I was literally learning as I went, like learning like you know, how to how to also find my voice in terms of like because with in ear monitors, like if you can't hear yourself, you can't hear someone. You actually have to say like I can't hear I can't if you're uncomfortable about something like actually mentioning. But the great thing about being under someone like sample was that she's is that she's so patient and she's so understanding and she wants to make sure that you're comfortable. So she would come up to me, she'd be like, are you okay? Are you feeling okay? Is it something that we need to like practice later? And at the hotel like things like that. She always makes sure that everybody's good. Like she's so humble, and I think being on tour with her was like a masterclass, like being able to just like sit but also serve like someone else's dream like that was that was me and I learned a lot like the way she works the work ethic. Yeah, through the tiredness, through all the crazy things that happened behind the scenes on tour, we can go into that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can imagine.
Speaker 3: Were your family and friends always supportive of your musical journey.
Speaker 1: Don't know you said people what it was, it was just for like a year. Dogs. I think my family actually didn't anticipate how serious this would get. I think in Zim it's it's kind of chill because you're like, no, she's she's in the church choir, so that's nice. But when you move to a place like Australia, when music can actually be your career, I think it didn't really sink in for my parents in particular yet as to like the possibilities and also just I think what they were worried about maybe is like the safety in the industry, the stability, and also because I'm not just the music like I'm quite like, uh, I guess let's.
Speaker 2: Claim and claim You're thinking, is this going to be a talk.
Speaker 1: Doing my gigs and you my gigs. It's just like, okay, it's as cute as a hobby, the thing that you do like after school or during school assemblies and we can come and watch you in school settings in high school. But like pursuing it was really, like really really tough for them, especially like from a religious background, because you know, there's always that debate of like either washing guard.
Speaker 3: Or yeah, gigs at night in the frondom of people taking.
Speaker 1: We've lost her going back. Yeah, I understand they're worries because obviously there hasn't been anyone in our family or someone they can see as a reference. The references that we see are people who are on drugs and they died. Yeah yeah, there's no bit of a yeah yeah yeah, this went well. So essentially it's like and they went on dlags, they died. Yeah, so that's what's gonna happen to you. That's gonna happen yeah, yeah, so true.
Speaker 2: And that brings me to the next question, because there's so many misconceptions about being an artist and making music and music's music and their myths and all this. What are some myths or misconceptions about making music? Being an artist that you would like to debunk And why do you think there are these kind of mythal ideas around that?
Speaker 1: Oh, there are many, I think. I think one of the main ones is like people assume, well, think that making music is quite easy. Just like the process of like oh, you write a song and then you put it in one of recording and then you released it. Yeah, that process is excruciating.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sometimes like you get like, for example, for myself, there's songs that I haven't that I'm still working on that we started working on in twenty twenty two. Oh wow wow yeah, and it's like the song is complete but not yet but whatever. And then there's some songs like there was one instance we went in the studio he was like, sicco I don't know if you know, Kegan. He was playing something on his on the laptop and then I was like, oh, I have an idea. We wrote the song in one day and now it was just like fixing it. So that aspect of like you know, songs can take time. Some songs take years, some songs take a session. Some songs take and you actually don't know and when it will. Yeah, that materiate it also the fact that, like I guess we're always confident is another misconception. What did Erica wud you say?
Speaker 2: I'm an artisan and I'm sensitive.
Speaker 1: Ship That's what she's she meant it because yeah, like like songs are babies, so any like criticism any like you try to do that like already but yeah so the and and if you're somebody who deals with perfectionism, yeah, bad part. It's like you're nitpicking. You're constantly like it's it never stops true. So like it'll be like you finished writing the song, You're like, Okay, cool, that's fine. We've done the production of the track. Okay, that's fine. And like, for example, in the process that i'm in, like mixing, fixing, I'm mastering a song, You'll be like, ah, I like it, but I don't love it. Okay again, do this again, fix this, fix this little thing. Fix like that. Nobody will probably even here. Yeah, people are not.
Speaker 2: Someone I think listen to a song and be like anyway, I think artists very like can be very subjective, right, so you know your intent going into making it, and.
Speaker 1: Like what you hope for it to do, like for example.
Speaker 2: Me, my day job. Anybody like outside going to be like Rumby, you don't know how to do that, or like you you wrote a bad sentence, like they have no clue what I'm doing. But art is a very like it's you display, you share, it's something really once done.
Speaker 3: It's there, and the shame can be both ways exact opinions exactly.
Speaker 2: So I think that's what makes it even more difficult because you're critiqued by so many people, different different, different visions.
Speaker 1: Why did you do that?
Speaker 2: How come you know? So I can understand why you feel protective of your baby and then like you feel like it has to be perfect?
Speaker 1: But yeah, well that's.
Speaker 3: You spoke of the energy you have when you perform, and we've seen it many times and we love it. But how does it feel for you when you're on stage and you're performing for a crowd? And if you can give us an idea of when it's a crowd that vibes and a crowd that like.
Speaker 1: What do you engage in yourself for each of them?
Speaker 3: Because want an image? What do we give you back that makes you feel?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I mean to start off with like, because I feel so honored and privileged to have this gift, like I am grateful regardless of whether people give me energy or not, which is why probably you see the energy because despite what people are doing, it can add more like if people are already feeding to what we're doing, and then it's like, oh, oh.
Speaker 2: You're okay, we can really, we can really.
Speaker 1: Okay, Now how you can go? Do you so? Stepping and and a lot of it also is adrenaline, like just sheer adrenaline, like you're jumping on You're about to have a good time. It also depends sometimes whether I'm doing with my band or bout myself. I guess the mental thought process behind it is just like you get to show your music like this is these are songs that I'm writing in my bedroom. Is like when I was still living with my has this music that I'm making on my keyboard late at night randomly when I can't sleep or whatever. So now people get to experience like where I'm coming from with the music. In some instances, I can explain what's the I guess the idea behind the music. And you see people just like enjoying and have a good time, and.
Speaker 2: That is how does it like that experience of people like giving you energy? That was like I kind of matter. I'm not a I don't perform. I mean, I've been in choir. But it's a different thing when you're in a group versus like that feeling of like people seeing you and you've seeing them and that energy exchange.
Speaker 1: Like wow, it's I don't know how to explain it. Yeah, yeah, it's almost like a soul to soul spirit spirit connection. You're like, you see me as a person on a stage, but I also see you as a person as people we're here. We all have different life experiences, but we're in this moment together hearing probably a song you've never heard before for a song I've listened to plays and so many times. But we're like our I guess our lives have collided and to be able to share in that moment, and I'm glad that I can give some like relief or joy or whatever it is that somebody is like coming out to look forward, search for that's beautiful.
Speaker 3: I mean, you spoke about having your degree, and obviously there's a certain duality you probably have had to exist, and you know, being a career woman and then also being a musician. How do you manage that till this day? How did you even logistically logistic really because I think people, as you said, people make you make it look easy.
Speaker 1: That's just the truth.
Speaker 3: That social media also highlights that because you see a highlight reel. But we want to know on a day to day what does it take to really okay?
Speaker 1: So disclaimer. So I studied psychology and currently I work full time in child protection. So let's start there. So my days can look anywhere to Like, I wake up in the morning, I do all the work, and I work with children, so there's a lot of trauma stuff that's happening working with parents, dealing with parents, you know, because where I work we deal a lot with play therapy like reconciliation between child and parent, and role modeling like positive attachments and all that kind of stuff. So it's quite intense work. And then I'll finish work, maybe drop the last child home somewhere in Melton, then have to drive all the way to nickel Ham or Bandura for a studio session that starts at six o'clock. And I'm there till maybe like eleven twelve, sometimes even one or two. I'm driving at home, I'm getting there, probably haven't had dinner, so I have to cook something up really quickly in the bed, up again next day to work. And if I have a show or something that's rehearsals, that's time after work that you have to put in. Sometimes it's like writing. And not only that, because I'm also an independent artist. There's emails invoices, someone said they're not someone said they're not available on this rehearsal days to find another one. Okay, where are we rehearsing? What are we rehearsing? What's the set list? What order is the set list? How are we going to communicate with a person on the ground, Like it's just a never ending list of things to do? Can I ask you?
Speaker 2: Because we are recording this at the top of the year, right, And you know, I think a lot of us, especially from our background, we have dual interest, right. We have what we studied or the work, the ninety fives, whatever, but we also like this podcast. It's it's it's it's a passion project for a man and I we love it.
Speaker 1: We do it with our whole heart.
Speaker 2: And sometimes you always reach the point where like what am I doing this for?
Speaker 1: WHI?
Speaker 2: Or like how do I continue? And I and I hear you speaking about doing your work during the day and then at night having to you know, do your other work. How what advice would you give someone who's maybe thinking, Jeanetta, I'm done, it's too much. I'm gonna throw in the towel, Like balancing that what keeps you going and what do you have to remember to keep going in those moments where you get home after work, maybe it was a rough day and then the last thing you want to do is try to write a song that's positive. I mean, you don't have to limit yourself, I'm sure, but I'm just saying like in that moment, you're not thinking about that, You're thinking, I just want to escape watch Netflix.
Speaker 1: So advice that I would give to someone who's ready to give up, yeah, I think always going back to reflecting on your why. Like for me, like my faith is a big part of it. So I always have to remind myself like God gave me this gift and I have to keep going. This is only the beginning, Like not to despise the small beginnings. It's going to be tough, like anything that you do, and you want to do well and with passion, take sacrifice. You just have to keep going. And in some situations, it actually means taking a break and resting and actually giving yourself time to do that, because, for example, in music, you actually need the hiatus. You need the rest to be able to come from a place that like you're filled already. So it depends on what it is that you go to fulfilling, hopefully not not the you know, yeah, the toxic things. But you need rest. Yeah, how do you do that vocally? Actually?
Speaker 3: Because obviously even on a tour, you're like singing day after day.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you something about tour. Hey, I understand, Okay, this is gonna unpopular opinion, but I'm just gonna say I understand why big artists who tour are on cocaine. I absolutely get white because the like the consistent going because you have to remember, like when you step on a stage, right, you're on this like adrenaline, and when you get off for something having so much fun, but like you have to go to bed and be up at four am for a lobby call, to catch a flight at six a m. To be in another Yeah, so it's like that constant. Like well and also like because we were coming I was coming from Australia, like the jet lag. So you're dealing with jet lag, you're dealing with adrenaline. You're dealing with Oh maybe I didn't sing so well, and yeah this one, I'll try to make sure I practice a little bit more to do this. You're interacting with like my bag did my bag arrived, we're picking up beds, we're rushing to a flight, okay, we're arguing with the lady at the counter and all of those things. You get to the venue, people don't even pay attention to you, or like there was one the last show that we did. We went so there's like what we would call rises, so that's where they put the instruments or you kind of step onto it. We stepped on a rise on myself and one day who's sample sister who was also a musician, and we were doing back in Focus together, we stepped on the riser and the rise of slid what oh okay, nobody came to apologize. Nobody said it was was mad and we looked around like, yo, who was responding, I'm sorry, he has it? What has it crazy? Yeah? So you deal with like a lot of things, like little things and like yeah, yeah, while life.
Speaker 2: Is a whole other for sure, and yeah, what would you I know we're going to come to a closing, but I would love for you to share your advice for artists who come maybe from a similar background as we do, artists where maybe art is not prioritized as much, and where for me, for example, I really think we are a creative people, but we have been denied our creative outlets a lot of the time. So what would your advice be, or what do you hope for our people? And you know, maybe our future generations, so maybe they don't land where we landed unfortunately or fortunately.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think for the young people coming up, my advice would be so cliche, but just keep going and find ways that you can still maintain that. So for some people it might the blockage might be like I'm in my parents' home, so I can't really do things in a particular way that I imagined write. More like you have the agency for yourself to be like, at least in this season in my life, I'm going to sharpen my right school. Yeah, in this season in my life, I'm going to learn how to sing better, have to have more agility in my voice, how to do all these things. I'll probably learned keys, I'll learn how to do the logic stuff. I'll learn, like just do something like don't like when you're faced with an obstacle, then give up completely because there's always a way and you can always find a way, and just trust God.
Speaker 2: Why do you make music? And I know you added to it, but why do you make music? Because I'm hearing you and like you this is probably just like the tip of the iceberg of the things you have to have had to navigate and all that, But why do you make music and keep going? Aside from it being a god given talent?
Speaker 1: Yeah, who you're I make music because it gives me a sense of freedom that's both tangible and INTANGI yeah, like on the stage, I feel like and it's weird because, like you know, on a stage you can have a persona, but I don't think that's a persona for me necessarily. It's more of like a more what's the word that I'm looking for? An extension, extension and a revelation of the full extent of because I feel like when you deal with people and people don't actually know this about me that I am quite shy, which is quite strength in person, Like if I don't know you well enough. I'm quite straight back. I can have a conversation. I've learnt how to do that over time. But yeah, it's just like you're there, you leave your all. It's fun as well, and it's actually enjoyable to be able to do that. Music has also been therapy for me in some of the hardest moments of my life that I've been able to write about as well. So it's like journaling, but it's with maybe write music instead of journaling. Yeah, but yeah, So in high school when I was getting fullied, like you know, all of that kind of stuff, I would just write. And it's interesting, most of the music that I've written, I will write it like subconsciously, and then later on I will sit with the music and reflect and be like, oh, I was actually honestly experiencing this at a time in my life.
Speaker 2: To all her bullies, how at her now?
Speaker 1: Look at her now? God?
Speaker 3: Bless yes, God bless you know, I mean twenty twenty five at the top of it. Are there any upcoming projects you want to see, things you want to share let the people know, do you think?
Speaker 1: Yes? So so many things I won't reveal too much. But what I can say is that new music is coming out. Yeah it's wrong your coon. Yeah, We're coming with Ginger and it'll be music that's expected from me, but different from what I've done before. And once again, like I just I love music, so I can This is not just to brag, but I feel like I can make any music as long as I like it. Like if you told me to write a country song right now, I could be like, okay, I'll write it, but I'll write what I like. Yeah, if you ask me to make an I'm a piano track, I can make it. It'll be the way you like, get a vibe. But it's going to be music from I guess music from Southern Africa. It's like a blend mixture of things. I'm just titling music for the people. It doesn't have a title. We has a title, but I can't reveal it yet. Yeah, but yeah, it's music for the people. Exciting and can find you socials and all that. You can find me on socials. You can find me on Instagram at miss Niasha so that's m s n I A s Ha. You can find me on Facebook TikTok my TikTok. Hey that's a long story. I didn't come back with a new one. Can that blocks me from since like January twenty twenty four, I took a break from TikTok, tried to log I have to make a new one and then on Spotify all the music platforms. Is just and I a s h A in all capitals because we come with yeah, dynam.
Speaker 2: And small hotage that let's just say thank you so much for your time, like this has been so insightful, and Amanda and I are artists at heart, and so we love to celebrate other artists and give them the time to shine.
Speaker 3: And we also realize our country can sometimes belated for they and we really, we really want our platform to keep celebrating creatives because you also know the blood, sweat and tears.
Speaker 1: It's a lot, and especially when you feel like you know, people aren't suppose supportive or you don't have the finance, yes, backing, backing, the resources, the oh your apply for grats, you don't get the grads, Like you can be really discouraging, but there's always a way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's always that the church that amen, yeah take risks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 2: So much for listening everyone. This has been another episode of a live podcast, Amanda's Great as
Speaker 3: Always Yes see you on the next episode by Guys