Speaker 1: Hi everyone, and welcome to another episode of the sit Down. I'm Matt Trolope Arata, an editor for oz open dot com.
Speaker 2: And I'm Big Christie, managing editor for Australian Tennis magazine. And Matt, why are we sitting down this week with Barbara Schette.
Speaker 3: Well, we caught up with Barbara.
Speaker 1: She was just back home in Australia after spending a big stint in Europe. So she's both Austrian and Australian and has those two homes. So yeah, we caught her back at home where she lives in Musa and it was really a chance to kind of reflect on her amazing playing career. She emerged in a time that was a very nostalgic and iconic time in women's tennis in the late nineties and peaked in the top ten in nineteen ninety nine, which in this interview we talk about was full of so many amazing personalities as storylines that her career overlapped with that helped to find her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Barbara has seen tennis through many different lenses. She's been a professional player, she's had an incredible media career. She's been behind the scenes at tournaments, and mentored players, and she was expansive in all of those areas. Barbara Schett, thank you for joining us on the sit down. We like to start by asking our guests where in the world we find them. So where do we find you today?
Speaker 4: You find me in Australia in NUSA heads.
Speaker 1: At the moment, it looks absolutely stunny in your backdrop. Were you telling us there were whales?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, it's pretty incredible.
Speaker 5: At the moment there's whales going past, and you know sometimes when they're happy, they jump up and down and it's pretty amazing to watch them, especially for me being Austrian.
Speaker 4: You know, it's so surreal.
Speaker 5: I mean, we have cows in Austria. We don't have whales in Austria.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, I think you've actually almost answered my next question. But you know, you do divide your time between Australia and I think you spend some time in Europe. Where do you prefer or do you have a favorite?
Speaker 4: That's a difficult question to answer.
Speaker 5: So my home is Australia and my other home is Austria. Where I live is Australia, and obviously it's my home as well because my family is here.
Speaker 4: My husband, Josh and Noah our son.
Speaker 5: But then you know, Austria will always be where my roots are, where I've grown up, where my family is, where my parents are, where my uncle and auntie is, and my brother and I always loved going home, so whenever I traveled to Europe, I feel like I'm going home. Whenever I travel from Europe to Australia, I feel like I'm going home as well.
Speaker 3: That's lovely.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, speaking of Austria, take us back, I guess to your start in tennis. I remember actually a quote from your playing days and you said, you know, there was always skiing in Austria, almost on skis as soon as you could walk.
Speaker 3: So how did you get into tennis?
Speaker 5: Well, of course skied when I was very young. You know, you pretty much have to hit the slopes at the age of three. My parents loved skiing, so I was went with them. But also it was a time when tennis became very popular when I was about three four years old, and my parents picked picked up tennis, so they started to learn it and they joined the club. And obviously the kids, my brother and I were always had to hang out at the tennis courts as well.
Speaker 4: So we started to play tennis as well.
Speaker 5: My parents have taught my brother who's seven years old, more tennis, and they taught me because I was just too little. I was pained in about on the court, running around being crazy. And those days, don't forget we had clay courts. There weren't any shoes, you know, clay coat shoes for little kids, and you were banned on the clay courts if you wouldn't wear any clay coad shoes. So I didn't get to play that much there. But the way I started was besides my parents, was actually hitting against the tennis wall, and that's where it started.
Speaker 4: And that tennis wall still.
Speaker 1: Exists, and so many of our guests say that a tennis wall is part of their origin story. It's really interesting. Lots of tennis walls.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, And it's not forgiving the tennis well, you know, you play against it. If you don't play against it in a nice way, it comes back badly.
Speaker 4: So you kind of, you know, start hitting the ball cleanly.
Speaker 5: And I remember when I was little, like gave myself tasked, you know, twenty times I have to hit the forehead nicely and the back end nicely.
Speaker 4: And that's yeah, and that's how I started. I just loved it. I spent hours and hours there.
Speaker 3: Amazing. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So at what age was it then when you realized, oh, actually maybe a professional career is possible, or that you were good enough to go to that level.
Speaker 5: So going back to the tennis wall, at the age of six, in the next door club, there was a coach from the federation, the Tirolean federations like the Queensland Tennis Federation, and she saw me hitting against the wall and she thought.
Speaker 4: Oh, this girl is pretty good.
Speaker 5: So she spoke to my mom and dad and said, oh, can Barbara come around at some stage and just hit a few balls. I want to have a closer look at her.
Speaker 4: And I did that.
Speaker 5: I became part of the Tyrolean Tennis Federation and I practiced twice a week for fifty minutes with them, and then.
Speaker 4: I just just became more and more and more.
Speaker 5: Obviously, when I was in Innsbruck back with my mom and dad and at the age of fourteen, I went to Vienna to the Institute of Sport, and that's where I was like, Okay, I actually would like to do this professionally. I won pretty much everything in Austria, my age group and my age group of bars. I've already played few junior tournaments internationally, which is much easier in Europe because you just drive, yeah, sitting in a car and you drive over the board and you play your your junior tournaments there. So at the age of fourteen, I was like, okay, I would like to give it a crack.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes sense. And what did you have any like I know, obviously got into tennis for your family, but like, were there any players at the time that you were watching the inspired you or that you I don't know, homology game on or anything like that at that around that time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there were obviously Internationally. I was always a big fan of beyond.
Speaker 4: Borg and Martina and Avtilo prisy adverts.
Speaker 5: I loved watching that. My parents always loved watching tennis, so we were glued in front of the TV watching tennis. And then in Austria there was Thomas Muster, there was Judied Wisner, who were about ten years older than me, and they were already playing on the tour. And obviously Thomas also became number one in the world. Student was top twenty or top fifteen in the world. So they were definitely idols of mine. I wouldn't say that I played like them, quite the opposite, but yeah, so I think it's really important to have role models when you grow up.
Speaker 1: Yes, and you mentioned age fourteen. We think that's when you made your debut on like your pro debut in kitchball. So yeah, well that's extremely well, thank you for that incredible background research. But that's that's extremely young. That doesn't happen very often these days. At a fourteen year old would play a pro match. What do you remember of that, Like, what was that experience?
Speaker 5: Like, First of all, there was no age rule those days, so you could just quit at the age.
Speaker 4: Of thirteen fourteen.
Speaker 5: That changed later on, but I got a wild cut into qualities there. Kidsboo Is had an hour away from Innsbruck and was a big women's event. Then it was I think a tier they called them tears those years.
Speaker 4: I think it was a tree or something like that.
Speaker 5: And I remember that day vividly because I was there with my coach and obviously very nervous playing my first match on the WTA Tour in Qualis and all eyes were on me as well, and actually something pretty major happened that the day before I.
Speaker 4: Played my first round match.
Speaker 5: There, I you know, I became a woman basically, you know, I had my first menstruation in Kidsburg and obviously it was just a big thing.
Speaker 4: You know. My mother was like, oh, you're a woman now. I was feeling.
Speaker 5: Hople I I was feeling sick, you know, my stomach was about to explode.
Speaker 4: And yeah.
Speaker 5: So the first match on a WTA, so it didn't go very well because all was worried about was that, you know, it was I was making a mess on the lord. So that was my first WTA match.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: I know, wow, not great timing for you.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry about that, but good. I'm sorry to be that open, but no, it has to be said.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, yes.
Speaker 2: You went on to obviously have an amazing career, top ten in singles and in doubles. How did those disciplines, I guess serve each other. You know, doubles help singles, and I guess singles helps doubles as well.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 5: My big goal was to become top ten in the world because there was one other Austrian, Barba Paulos, who was ten in the world.
Speaker 4: I wanted to be better than her, so that was my main focus.
Speaker 5: So I loved playing singles because I loved that one, and on competition, all I wanted to do is just play matches. Obviously you have to train as well, but that was my big passion to just measure myself, you know, to someone else.
Speaker 4: And doubles was something I didn't put any emphasis on.
Speaker 5: I played it because I usually really liked my my doubles partners. We were friends and we turned out to be really successful, like with Pettishneeder for example. I played for many years with Sylvia Farina.
Speaker 4: Played and korney Kova. I played with Mary Peers.
Speaker 5: We did a few semifinals at Grand Slams and I never really practiced doubles, but I always felt really happy and relaxed on the court, and I'm sure it helped me my single game as well, because I did a lot of returning, a.
Speaker 4: Lot of serving, not so much volling maybe, but.
Speaker 5: Every now and then I would scare people and came to the net.
Speaker 4: But yeah, doubles was just fun.
Speaker 5: It was fun, and I played a bit of mixed as well, which was fun.
Speaker 4: But the emphasis was.
Speaker 2: Always yeah, of course you mentioned, you know, some of your doubles partners. I think you also played with Martina Hingis at one stage. It was such a fun era, you know, it was kind of you know, lots of fun personalities and kind of a glamorous era as well.
Speaker 3: What was it like to be a part of all of that.
Speaker 4: Oh, it was amazing.
Speaker 5: I mean, you know, when I was top ten, I think Martina was number one in the world, Martina Hingis and Lindsay Devenport, the Wink Up, Mary Pierce, Jennifer Capriati, and with a lot of those girls, I had really close friendships. Uncapable for example, even Majoli. We traveled with very small teams then, so I basically just traveled with my coach and maybe sometimes a fitness coach because it was just too expensive, you know, and nobody did it really, So we had a lot of time to hang out and we would go for dinners, we would go to movies. We would be there for each other when somebody had personal problems or something like that. So it was a great era, I have to say it was. The tennis was very good. I thought there was a high level. I mean you mentioned that I played with Martina Hingis. I remember we won the tournament in Hamburg, and I didn't have to do anything. I just served and returned. She did everything else. She was just there all the time. And I'm like, this is this is easy, this is pretty crazy. But we had a We had great friendships at that time, and these friendships are still present even my earliest birthday yesterday, I get.
Speaker 4: Fall, for example, and.
Speaker 5: I celebrated my big birthday this year and they came and along and Eva and lots of other friends. So I think we shared such a precious time on the tour, which will keep us always connected.
Speaker 3: Yeah that sounds really lovely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that does sound really lovely. Yeah, it was an incredibly deep era that you said, Like when you listed those players in the top ten, who was the most difficult for you to face, because looking back at your career, you faced pretty much everyone at the top around that time, and yeah, they're they're icons of the game, some of the people you mentioned, Yeah, who what was it like to face?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was toughest. I didn't love playing against the heart hitters.
Speaker 5: So for example, somebody like Lindsa Devcord was very hard for me to play against because she served well and she played every book you sentimeters in front of the baseline, so I always felt like I was on the pressure. Obviously, the Williams sisters. Later on, Stephie Graff was very hard for me to play against as well.
Speaker 4: Because she was a big role model too.
Speaker 5: I preferred to play against Martina hing Is because she didn't play she did, she didn't hit the ball very hard, and that was for me.
Speaker 4: I felt like I had a bit.
Speaker 5: More time, you know, to be creative, and so so I enjoyed playing against her. I didn't mind playing against Kim Kleistos or is Justina Ena for example, or a Rancha Sanchez Vicario, but the hard hitters, they were my biggest problem.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, that makes sense. Ninety nine was the year that was such a fantastic year in tenna, specifically because of so many things that it was such a so many massive stories happened then. So yeah, Martina was number one, That's when Serena won her first Grand Slam, It's when Stephie retired. There were lots of things that all happened around then, and it's the year that you had your best season. You were top ten. I think you finished the year maybe number eight or seven. That year so what was it like, what was clicking for you in ninety nine, And this is particular special that had happened in that year where so many players were at the top with you.
Speaker 4: I was just really consistent.
Speaker 5: I'd never had that one big result, you know, where I went into a final of a Grand Slam. To be honest, I always also never really believed in it, which was now in hindsight, was a mistake. My big goal was always to crack the top ten, and once I did that, I was like, I'm happy, you know with this. And when I was seven in the world, I thought, try to get to number six maybe, And I never got to number six.
Speaker 4: So it was a great era.
Speaker 5: I mean, you know, it was a time where people knew all.
Speaker 4: The players with their first name.
Speaker 5: You know, there was Martina, that was Mary, there was Jennifer, Venus Serena, and that was pretty cool, I thought. And they were trailblazers as well in a way, you know, in that generation, and I think there were exciting players with big personalities as well, lots of different personalities.
Speaker 4: I remember when Stephie retired at.
Speaker 5: The Masters in New York at Madison Square Garden, we had a big goodbye ceremony and I had goosebumps there to.
Speaker 4: Be there, you know, and with her farewell, and it was. There were a lot of very magical moments.
Speaker 1: Yeah, even the Masters being at Madison Square Garden, Like what an iconic venue that was. That was amazing too, also in New York. That leads us into our next question. You had your best Grand Slam result at the US Open. I'm not sure if that comes back to you now. The US Open is just a few weeks away, but we were looking at the scores you won by to reach the quarterfinals. You only dropped nine games to reach the quarters. You were like bageling everyone. What was that where you were playing maybe your your best tennis you ended up playing losing to Venus in the quarters.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I was so confident at that time.
Speaker 5: I just knew when I went on the court, I was going to win that match.
Speaker 4: I'm not going to lose that And I.
Speaker 5: Felt very fit physically, I felt mentally very strong, and I knew my tennis was there. So unfortunately, my grandmother passed away the day before my match against Venus, and that shook me around a lot, because you know, I was very upset that a very close relationship with her. My parents are very upset. To see your parents very upset was upsetting me.
Speaker 4: So I wasn't on the.
Speaker 5: Court against Venus really, which was a shame because I think if I would have been there one hundred percent mentally, maybe the score would have been differently, maybe than my career would have turned another way as well, you know. But you know, I'm still very happy with that result, and I think of it many times, especially when the US Open comes around, and yeah, to lose against Venus, I think she won. Did she win that title then? Or did Serena win that?
Speaker 1: Serena won that one. That was the arena one, her first slave, So that was It was a huge tournament in Tennessee history anyway because of what was happening.
Speaker 4: But yeah, it was the beginning of the end for everyone else.
Speaker 2: Well you say that, but you did get one back on Venus at Roland Garross. I think it was in two thousand and one, So that's, you know, one of your amazing wins.
Speaker 3: What matches stand out for you?
Speaker 5: That one definitely, because I remember had a horrible run before. I've lost four or five times first round. My self confidence was very low and then I draw Venus Williams, number second, number two seed at the French Open, and I was thinking, oh my god, I better pack my bags right away and you know, be ready to go home again.
Speaker 4: But then there was a point where I didn't care anymore.
Speaker 5: I just said, okay, Bobsy, get out there and just enjoy it. You know, what's the worst thing that can happen. You can just lose, and then I've played my best tennis, you know. And Venus was missing a lot on her forehand and I just kept on playing to her forehand and forehand. And we played the match on Susan Longland, which is the second biggest courts, and it was packed and the people started chanting for me, and it was one of the biggest upsets. And I really enjoyed it and I love it. And if you would ask me who I've played against in the second and a third and I would have no clue. I just remember that I lost against Justina, and now I think.
Speaker 1: But see even then, like, yes, you beat Venus, you lose to Justine another icon. It was just such an incredible field at that time.
Speaker 2: It certainly was you always had, I guess, kind of a special connection to the Australian Open. You played your first Grands I'm in qualifying here and you also, I had your last tournament here at the Austraine Open, and you know, you obviously made the US Open quarters, but had such great consistency here in Melbourne.
Speaker 3: What brought out your best tennis?
Speaker 5: I always loved playing the Australian Open. It was always my favorite Grand Slam, even before I had this connection, you know, with Australia with Josh obviously, but everybody was always so happy. And then getting out of Europe winter time, you know, it snowing, it's cold, it was just lovely, and I mean it's for a reason that it's called the Happy Slam for many years, and and.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just loved the atmosphere.
Speaker 5: And I always had a lot of support at the Australian Open, and that made me play better there.
Speaker 4: So I was very consistent. I played a lot of times fourth.
Speaker 5: Round and yeah, and kind of I think I kind of started my Grand Slam tournaments there and I played juniors there as well and made the finals the same year. I think I played qualis as far as I remember, and I had my first heat stroke in Australia. That was not in Melbourne, that was in Brisbane. I remember that too, But I've always had great memories, you know, playing in Australia and the heat was one thing, but i just remember that everybody was always so friendly, which sometimes in Europe that's not the case.
Speaker 1: How did you We'd love to know how did you meet Josh? Like, did you Was it a playing mixed doubles, because you made the mixed doubles final at the Australian Open in two thousand and one, which is a really cool moment. Yeah, what what was the meeting story?
Speaker 5: Well, we actually have been friends for a long time, even before we started to play mixed doubles. Knew each other because through my friend Uncle Huber, she played a little bit of mixed doubles with Josh and so weeks to have dinner sometimes together. I was very good friends with uncle and that's how we got to know each other. And then we would start sharing houses, for example in Wimbledon, and not until the end of our career pretty much. Josh has retired in two thousand and four. I retired in two thousand and five. It kind of clicked and we fell in love with each other. So we've been friends for five six years, played mixed doubles together, and we always were in relationships, you know. But then towards the end of our careers, we were like, oh, what does that mean? We were not going to see each other anymore.
Speaker 4: That's impossible. So that's when we were like, okay, okay.
Speaker 1: So I think in my head it was when I looked back, I was like, oh, I assumed you were together during the mixed doubles run, but that was a couple of years before that.
Speaker 5: So yeah.
Speaker 1: So but there must have been a really good, like tennis chemistry on the court as well. I mean, if you combined to make a Grand Slam final.
Speaker 4: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 5: When Josh was top ten and doubles as well for many years, and we just had fun playing mixed doubles and his girlfriend was there, my boyfriend was there, So we were far.
Speaker 4: Away from being a couple.
Speaker 5: If somebody would have told me, you're going to marry that guy one day and have a child. So we made the finals, which was unbelievable, and we did beat Renee Stuffs and yes, that was our biggest run.
Speaker 4: That's a sensational win.
Speaker 3: It is huge.
Speaker 5: It is a sensational win. And then I remember before the finals we actually practiced a few double strategies and tactics and then we lost, so we shouldn't have done.
Speaker 3: But what a great story. Incredible.
Speaker 1: So you alluded to retiring in two thousand and five. How much have you followed tennis since then? And who do you enjoy watching now in this era?
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, I retired in two thousand and five and then pretty much started working for TV because I wanted to be connected in tennis somehow. And since then I've been, you know, traveling to all the Grand Slams pretty.
Speaker 4: Much and a few other events as well.
Speaker 5: And obviously I have big passion and love for the sport, especially in our family with Josh. You know, we talk about the results every morning, what happened in Cincinnati and Montreal or wherever.
Speaker 4: And I love it.
Speaker 5: I love the way tennis has developed, you know, how much faster it is, how much physical it is. I love new faces pomping up. And obviously the rivalry between Alpha and Sinna is amazing because we've had a feder or another Djokovic for so many years, and I always thought, oh, it's never gonna happen. You know that there will be such a rivalry and somebody can play.
Speaker 4: Faster and more powerful and be more athletic, but they go.
Speaker 5: You've got Alcross and Sinner and Sasha Zariff as well now and then on the women's side, you know it's so open as well, with Aavalleenka obviously Cookoo golf, and then so many other players who could win Grand slams.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 5: We've seen it with with Noskova in Wimbledon, and I find it very exciting tennis. You know, you never know what happens. It's unpredictable, and yeah, and I will keep doing what I'm doing for hopefully many more years. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, what was that transition like when you retired? Was that like because you know, for some place it's not easy. They might feel a bit lost. I've done tennis my whole life. I don't know what to do. But it sounds like you kind of had a bit of a plan or you kind of wanted to stay connected with the sports. So was the transition into the media an easy one for you?
Speaker 5: Well, I have to say the last year played on the tour, I already thought about what do I want to do afterwards.
Speaker 4: Which direction can I had what interests me?
Speaker 5: So while I was playing on tour in two thousand and five, I've already done a little bit of commentary for Eurosport, for example, because they the commentators used to be on site most of the time because I think they had the rights of the WTA Tour, and I really enjoyed that. I thought it was great. And then one other part was I wanted to give back a little bit to you know, be a mentor for a player, which I was then for Barbora Stritz for many years, which was great.
Speaker 4: And then another one was just working at a tournament.
Speaker 5: See what does it take to actually put up a tournament, because as a play you just go there, you think everything is there, you just think about yourself.
Speaker 4: But I wanted to be behind the scenes, and yeah, and that all worked out. You know.
Speaker 5: I've started to be the ambassador of the tournament in Inns, which is a WTA five hundred, which I've been the ambassador for twenty two years now. Then with Eurosport, I started at the French Open in two thousand and five and that's been going on for twenty two years now. And yeah, and I was a person who needed to have a bit of a plan. I didn't want to wait, you know for people to call me and say, oh, what do you want to do, because I thought that might not happen.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So yeah, so it worked out to be really really great. I never thought that my second career was going to be longer than my tennis career, and yeah, and I really love what I do. And I work for different networks as well, which is fun.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: I do a lot of a lot of broadcasting in German and then in English as well, also for Tennis Australia, which is a lot of fun.
Speaker 4: And so it's.
Speaker 5: Never the same, it's always different, which I enjoy. So it's kind of a little bit still live the life as a player a little bit, just not playing well.
Speaker 2: You have kind of seen tennis through so many different lenses as a player, as a mental, in media and behind the scenes at tournaments. Is there anything that's kind of surprised you the most in all of those experiences.
Speaker 5: No, I mean it's great the way tennis developed, you know, in terms of price money equal price money at the Grand Slams. You know, that was very important to me because I didn't experience that there was still a big difference then just the way tennis developed, you know how, I've mentioned it before, the athleticism of the players. Everybody's traveling with four or five team members. It's a to a certain degree, a lot more professional. Not that we weren't professional. We were, but that's just a lot more money in and surprising. I am surprised how long roughno Does' career has lasted. For example, I've never thought he was going to have such a long career. I never thought that anybody could win twenty three, twenty four tycles. So yeah, I think, and I'm looking forward to seeing in which way tennis develops, you know, in the next ten to twenty years as well, in terms of rackets and strings maybe and players and rules as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's true, because the rules haven't actually changed a ton, but you know, maybe there's been a bit more of an openness to that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And in your media career, you've had lots of interviews. What have been some of the most memorable ones.
Speaker 5: I mean, there's players you prefer to interview compared to others. People who talk are much nicer to talk to than people who give you the.
Speaker 4: The yes and.
Speaker 5: I mean I've had some great times and interviews with Roger so easy.
Speaker 4: You just give him one word. It just talks.
Speaker 5: The dream and yeah dream, and he's so open and makes you feel so comfortable. I really enjoy interviewing Novak Djokovic because you can actually joke around with him as well, but you have to know your facts and he's always been very good with me, I have to say.
Speaker 4: And on the women's side, with Serena, you never know what you've got.
Speaker 5: Sometimes she could be in a great mood, sometimes not so much, but Arena Savalenka, for example, it's fantastic. Helena's vit Alina Kokokov. I always try to make the interviews light, you know, talk about tennis, but then also bring their personality out and you know, have a bit of fun. I think that's what people want to see. That's what players would like to as well, not just talk about their forehands and backends. And that's a big advantage obviously when you played the sport and they know that you've played the sport, you kind of can be a little bit more pushy in certain ways.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I always admire on court interviews when you know, sometimes it obviously can be a little bit tough. How do you deal with those situations when it's I guess more challenging to get some responses, Oh you.
Speaker 4: Just dick deeper.
Speaker 5: After so many years doing that, I have my own techniques to get a little bit more out of them, you know, and or just keep on asking questions. But I think the most important thing, and for me has always been the first question has to be super positive because if it's not, then they shut down and and you have to have a feel of the situation as well.
Speaker 4: Can you push a little bit more or do you have to pull back? And yeah, I love.
Speaker 5: Interviews on the on court interviews because they're so happy usually and so emotional in a positive way, so you get pretty much everything.
Speaker 4: Out of them. I don't like to do interviews with people who have lost. That's a tough one.
Speaker 1: That's they're not fun.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, you obviously follow ye as you said, you follow the sport really closely now and yeah, the sport has evolved. But I wonder if there's anyone that reminds you of you when you play, or if there's a player that has kind of like the closest when you're watching now they're like the closest to you in style or that you have a connection with that way when you watch them.
Speaker 5: That's a very good question, and I actually have never thought about it closely because tennis is so much faster now quicker. I would compare myself maybe a little bit with Carolina Mukhova because she has that variety.
Speaker 4: She had the power. I was powerful as well twenty five years ago.
Speaker 5: Now it would be considered slow. But I always had that little bit of a finesse on the court. But she's then on the other side, she's a little bit too quiet.
Speaker 4: I was fiery on the board. Now I showed emotions.
Speaker 1: And yeah, she's extremely measured. There's not a lot of emotion that comes out. It all kind of seems to come out through her tennis, like, yeah.
Speaker 5: I'm more like an arena Sablenka maybe.
Speaker 3: Emotionally great combo.
Speaker 1: We have to ask you about your thoughts on Lily Tager, who obviously is the Austrian teenager. She just won her first title in Prague. She's in the top fifteen now and a very distinct player with the one handed backhand, and everyone also loves that she's coached by Francesca Skiovoni, which is a really cool combination. Have you met her and watched much of her?
Speaker 4: Oh? Yes, of course.
Speaker 5: I mean Austria, we don't have too many players, so we're all very excited with her results and her progress. The first time I met her was about three four years ago, and obviously she's from the same area in Austria. She's from a part of Tyrol, which makes us very connected as well, and I followed her in juniors and I followed her very closely the last couple of years, and I love so she went to Italy to train with Francesca for many years ago. I think she left Austria when she was twelve or thirteen and is practicing there and is doing obviously really well. And in Austria and myself as well, I was very worried about the back end, the single handed back, and I'll never teach anyone a single handed back, especially on the women's tour. But I am very convinced about her back and watching her many times now. It's not a weakness. She plays a lot of slices. She doesn't have a lot of problems with the speed as well of her opponents, and I think especially that slice. If she could use it the right way, a lot of girls will have problems with it because not too many girls play slices anymore. I love the way how grown up is, how much sure she is, even a couple of years ago. She's very reflective on her game and what she does on the court, so she thinks about things herself, not just the coach.
Speaker 4: And I love that.
Speaker 5: She's got a great team around her which will help her. Her agent is the agent of Janick Sinna, for example, as well, so she's got a fantastic team around her and obviously has access to information other players wouldn't get at that age. Yes, and I believe that she will be top ten and I think that she can win a Grand Slam for sure.
Speaker 1: Interesting comment you made about the one handed back end. Why wouldn't you normally recommend that?
Speaker 5: Well, because of the power and the speed, you know, and then also they're returning when up there, you know, when the girls kick it out white you have problems. I mean Roger Federer had problems with his back and the times you know, against players who were hitting the ball hard, and especially on clay, when you have it up there with that and there's a woman, you don't have that much strength as well as a as a man, so it's even harder. But I have to say, I'm I'm very surprised how well she hits her back end, and I don't think it's going to be a problem in the future.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I guess she's tall. That's another thing. I think she's six foot one or something like that, so she high bounce. Probably that counters that maybe, But yeah, she's hitting she she hit it pretty well in Prague when she won the title, and.
Speaker 3: It's great to watch as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So, Barb, how often do you enjoy playing tennis now?
Speaker 4: Well, the last time I have played was in Wimbledon.
Speaker 5: I was invited to play the Legends event there, so I played in the invitational doubles alongside Thomas Johanssen, which was a lot of fun. I'm still recovering from those three matches. Takes longer these days, but yeah, I play occasionally with Josh and but I mean, I do a lot of other.
Speaker 4: Sports and I'd just like to be active and healthy.
Speaker 5: It's very easy when I'm up here's with the weather and everything. So yeah, our family is very sporty, but maybe the emphasis is not so much on playing tennis anymore because it's also very frustrating. You know, you're slower, you can't hit the ball as hard anymore.
Speaker 4: So it's like those days are over.
Speaker 3: And your son Noah, any tennis interests.
Speaker 5: Then no, not really. He is a loving to play rugby league. Yes, so he's a footy player. Josh Over wanted to play rugby league, but he was never allowed to play from his parents, so that's why he played tennis.
Speaker 4: The good thing is that's how we.
Speaker 5: Met play rugby. We would have never met, so that's a good thing. But our son can't play tennis. He's actually a decent tennis player, but he wants to have a crack at rugby league and training practicing representing the school. The team here on the Sunshine Coast is part of the Falcons program. So so yeah, we'll see how he will get. But he's he's in very good nick and he's very focused as well. And I got into rugby league as well. Now watching a lot of games.
Speaker 4: I really enjoy watching it. The Brisbane Broncos I would say something different. Now I'm around the corner and what divorce me?
Speaker 3: You wouldn't want that.
Speaker 4: We don't want that to happen.
Speaker 5: They're not doing overly well this year, by the way.
Speaker 1: No, we'd love to know as well. Because tennis has been such a part of your life for a long time in so many ways. What's the most valuable lesson it's taught you?
Speaker 4: I think being disciplined.
Speaker 5: You know, there's so many lessons tennis has taught me in a good way as well. You know, you travel a lot, you get to know a lot of different cultures.
Speaker 4: You're very open to the world and.
Speaker 5: To culture, to different people, which I only realized afterwards in my way of thinking and meeting other people who haven't experienced that.
Speaker 4: Reliable. I'm very reliable.
Speaker 5: I'm very determined still in certain ways, I still set goal. Okay, so that's what I've always done as a player. I have short term and long term goals. Yeah, being disciplined.
Speaker 4: You know, when.
Speaker 5: I set my mind to something, I do it.
Speaker 4: There's no way out.
Speaker 5: So lots of little little, lots of little things. I assess people weekly, like when like an opponent on the court, you know, well, you have to know where the strengths and weaknesses, how they mentally, So even when I meet people now, I like an.
Speaker 4: Like an X ray. You know, it's like there is is that that?
Speaker 3: What's the saying about? Is it crazy?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Everything you need to know about life you can learn in tennis.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So we've hand that fascinating because we had Craig on here a couple of weeks ago before he when he wrapped up at TA and yeah, that's a philosophy of his. Yeah, so we're always very yeah, and.
Speaker 4: He's totally right.
Speaker 5: I mean, you know, you have to push your boundaries as well in tennis physically and mentally. You get to know yourself a lot better in tricky situations on the court.
Speaker 4: How do you handle them? What do you do? And I've learned a lot there because as I said, that was.
Speaker 5: Always very outgoing and emotional on the court, and that've worked a lot on that.
Speaker 4: With sports psychologists.
Speaker 5: So and those things I've learned then, I still use them now. So there's definitely a lot of things you learn as a tennis player or a professional athlete for.
Speaker 4: Your life afterwards or for you a normal life.
Speaker 2: I would say, yeah, well, it has been amazing to hear about how tennis has shaped your life. Really from the moment you first picked up a racket until now when you're still so heavily involved. So thank you for sharing so much of your journey with us. It's been wonderful.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much. Guys, it was a pleasure to talk to you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is great.
Speaker 1: Thanks Barbara, Well, Matt.
Speaker 2: I loved hearing Barbara's perspective on tennis during her time as a professional player and how she views the game today. And yeah, it was great to hear how she excited she is about another Austrian player, young Austrian Lily Tagger.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I loved hearing her talk about Tagger and just the stars of the game in general today, like the way she talked about the Sinner and El Karaz rivalry and how amazingly the sport has evolved, and the level of tennis and the athleticism and the teams and how I guess, yeah, being connected with that in the media space herself, an interviewing those players. She watches it closely.
Speaker 2: And we'll be back again next week with another episode of the sit Down. Please remember to subscribe so you never miss an episode in your feed, and we'd love you to leave us a rating and review.
Speaker 3: See you next week.
Speaker 5: Matt.
Speaker 3: See the ENVIVD