Speaker 1: Quest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, welcome friends to the Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 1: Patsy's been having some trouble this week with her lot Ordie, who's doing the dreaded times table. Do you remember how much pressure you had to get that right? We used to just give me sleepless nights about worrying about trying to revise and learn my seven times table and the eight times table. Fact, let's do a spot test now, were Jack and Pats eight times three?
Speaker 3: Jack Post twenty four? Well done?
Speaker 1: Oh that's an easy one.
Speaker 3: Okay, eleven times seven, Pats seventy seven.
Speaker 1: The everone knows I always found the seven and the eighths the hardest. The other one was that the tens and the fives were the easiest, and the two times table. All right, Patsy seven times.
Speaker 3: Seven seven, seven's four forty nine. That's slow, Jack Post nine times eight. This is not sixty.
Speaker 2: Your work quick.
Speaker 3: You can work back with six fifty four.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I get embarrassed by just how low the bar is to do what you did sixty four.
Speaker 3: All I can understand why Aldie was getting tense with you.
Speaker 2: Pat.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's sake.
Speaker 1: Some calls right now, call in Now if you in the last year have used your knowledge of the times table in your line of work, Simon's up first.
Speaker 2: Every day of the week, I've got to work at quantities for material and all that sort of thing for the jobs.
Speaker 3: So what do you do.
Speaker 2: Say I'm a carpenter, right, Okay, as a kid, you'd think I'll go into a train where they to use my brain. Well that's back, fine.
Speaker 3: Well we actually did do that. You don't really brain in this job.
Speaker 1: You just sort of sit here and mumble press play and the songs playing, and that's it. Rinch repeat a carpenter. So how about the times table them? Because obviously understand you measuring the angles and measure twice cut once, but the times table when is seven times seven coming into making a door?
Speaker 2: Well, not so much as the door. When you're ordering the curials, you' gott to work at your square meterie, so you have the time to link by the hide or the hight by the width, and that gives you your quantities total, and then you're going to try and order from that.
Speaker 1: Do you know if I spent an hour trying to do what you do, so goodness would ruin your business? Within the hour, the so called doors turning up they were oblong or.
Speaker 2: He as a trader, you make a good radio host.
Speaker 1: All right, there's so carpentry. We can take that one if it says there's more calls as well. Andrew, First of all, tell us what you do for living?
Speaker 3: What's your trade?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 2: I'm a baker? Is that every single day, every single dough, every single hour, every single minute, every single minute, every single minute. The times table, they're times table.
Speaker 3: What's that going to do with bread?
Speaker 2: All right? Tave to you on thirty two vas before go on a tray? How many trades do you need?
Speaker 3: And you do it all in your head?
Speaker 2: Andrew, I wouldn't say that most of it. I do double check. That's if we get it wrong, we get it wrong.
Speaker 3: All right, carpentry, bacers.
Speaker 1: Quite a few trades so far, work worked out still using the times table, ben times table.
Speaker 3: First of all, what's your trade? What do you do for living? Mate?
Speaker 4: Working? Florestry?
Speaker 3: Forestry? What's that going to do with the times table?
Speaker 4: So we get there, deliveries of flowers and the tubs come in or generally with four bunches of flowers in each tub. So as an example, yesterday we received eighty tubs. Eighty tubs times four, that's threads and twenty flowers or bunches of flowers.
Speaker 3: And we'll have to take your word for that.
Speaker 1: Is that what you're doing all day then is the various flowers and you're giving up all the bunches. You've got to do the maths in your head, yep.
Speaker 4: So they've got to obviously double check that what they've ordered has come in. So even though in that eighty bunch you might have five red, forty white, you'll have twenty tubs of pink and then maybe fifteen types of purple.
Speaker 3: Is it's actually ben This actually feels like homework for kids? Does? It's been the forest?
Speaker 1: As four bunches and twelve of them are red.
Speaker 3: How many pink are they?
Speaker 1: Turns out every job uses their timetables, apart from this job.
Speaker 2: The Christian O'Connell Show podcast