Speaker 1: Here at two Good Sports, we would like to acknowledge the traditional owners of the land on which we record this podcast. There were innerie people. This land was never seated, always was always will be hi there and welcome to do good sports. Sports needs told differently.
Speaker 2: I'm Georgie Tunny and I'm Abby Jelmy, And my goodness, has it been an overwhelming week of just feeling so privileged that we get to do what we do and your feedback on our last episode, Yeah, the term is overwhelming. We were inundated with messages about how you'd felt the same yep in the reaction to the GWS scandal, but also just that women in sport need a voice.
Speaker 1: George, Yes, yeah, And I think what hit me most, Jelmy was all of the wonderful feedback from all of the listeners, thank you for sending it in, But it was the messages from our colleagues as well. Yes, and all of the women who have fought like us so hard and for so long to get a space at the table, whether that be at the back in the back corner of the room, but at least they're in the room. Who was saying thank you for voicing this and speaking about it so eloquently, which is great for us because I remember us recording that episode being very highly charged and not quite sure what was coming out of our mouth.
Speaker 2: That I also couldn't breathe.
Speaker 1: Yes, there were layers to theas there were layers, but to know that we were kind of speaking on behalf of a cohort and that that cohort really did accept and thank us for that and we communicated their thoughts is something that will stay with me for a long time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we shared some personal stories too, and to have them received the way they were. Although I mean, the headline that came out of my story was Channel seven presenter in disgusting photo incident, which I just feel paints me seven and a half months pregnant in a really odd light.
Speaker 1: So in my mind I see that, I see that headline and I'm like, oh my god, what was she doing licking an escalator? Give me a call?
Speaker 2: But we do. While we're on the topic of the giants, we did want to have a correction because, as we had both mentioned in the episode, but perhaps because of our vitriol, we didn't get to it as early as what we should have. We both highly respect the Giants as an institution and have had.
Speaker 1: All of our dealings with them have always been positive.
Speaker 2: And they have a lot of strong women in their leadership group within the club that have been there for a very long time, and one of them reached out to us and thanked us for the episode, but also just wanted to clarify that the club certainly didn't sit idly by when these allegations were made, which is what had been reported and what we reiterated. The club worked hand in hand and recommended sanctions with the AFL, including those that were handed down to the leaders, and took it very seriously. They did, And I think that what we really want to stress is that as much as the Giants were the example that had led to us really unpacking this cultural issue within the AFL, they are not the exception to the rule, no, and that it's a wider commentary that we were making, and we believe they've got all the right people in place to be able to rectify this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but pats on the back all round to everyone who listened to that episode took.
Speaker 2: Shared it as well, which is amazing.
Speaker 1: The responses Jelmy has said was overwhelming, and therefore you all are our good sports of the week, so thank you very very much. It meant a lot to us. This is one of the only times I can remember in my career that I've had only positive feedback.
Speaker 2: Same and we were ready for pitchforks.
Speaker 1: Yeah we were, We were, which.
Speaker 2: Probably says a lot about our audience.
Speaker 1: It does, so it's really lovely. But of course, Jelmy, we are about balance, so I have to have a bad sport as well in this episode, and I am going toward that to myself because when I saw the news that Australia had lost the Constellation Cup in netball Australia in New Zealand, we lost to New Zealand for the first time in Australia since twenty nineteen. This is only the third time that New Zealand has actually won the Constellation Cup in history. Did I swear and stamp my feet like a toddler? Yes, yes I did, Yes, I did.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: Bad sport to me, because sometimes you know what, emotions just get the better of you.
Speaker 2: And I think it is one of the great rivalries in sport, Australia New Zealand in netball, and it always seems to go down to the dying seconds.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, and always people always come at me, like when Queensland won eight in a row, nine out of ten series straight in the state of origin, They're like, don't you want New South Wales to win? So it's a bit more interesting? No, no, no, I don't. I don't so well done New Zealand. The actual playing cohort there at the moment is freaking scary.
Speaker 2: So yeah, but bringing netball up is a great topic because it is one of the ten sports that I needed to make the cut for the Glasgow Comnwealth Games. Now, this Georgie is one of the first topics that we covered on Two Good Sports, essentially going is it costing six maybe seven billion dollars for Victoria to host this event? And what is going to happen with it? Well, we haven't touched on it since, but there's been developments this week that have really made us think is this format viable going forward? And is this the beginning of the end for the Commonwealth Games. That's what we're discussing today.
Speaker 1: Jell mey, our dear listeners may have been able to hear my little cackles just as you were introducing this week's topic, because I tell you what, I haven't laughed like I have laughed whenever we talk about the Commonwealth, games about your passion for it and how you're like, what in the hell is happening? Someone give me an answer.
Speaker 2: You go red. The house is on fire, the houses on fire, and no one cares.
Speaker 1: And it's one of my favorite topics in the world. So this is me and Pens. This is me building, putting the last little nail into the soap box that I have constructed here, and I am ready for Jellny to take it away.
Speaker 2: Where are we Well, I'm going to wax lyrical and take you on a different journey to start with, because George, if you were anywhere near a TV in the last week, you would have seen Charles and his mate Camilla parade around Sydney to hundreds of adoring monarchists in what was a very royal visit. The opera house was lit up. I mean they did snub royal ramwik people read to see him at the races, they didn't go. Leaders were met, hands were shook, sausages were turned in what was the world's most awkward barbecue, and Camilla proved she was just like the rest of us by taking off her shoes and dare to go barefoot back up the stairs after a long day of service, allah leaving the Flemington members after one too many champagnes. Turns out they are just one of us. But it was largely hailed a success. The Australian Republic Movement dubbed it the Farewell Os Tour, however, saying the vast majority of Australians confirmed that they continue to see the monarchy as irrelevant to modern Australia. How does this link back to sport? Are you asking? Well, here are two good sports. We don't want to discuss the relevance of the Commonwealth in modern society, but we sure as hell do want to discuss the very real decline in relevance of the Commonwealth Games in the modern sporting landscape, its viability and the slim down version to feature only ten sports in Glasgow twenty twenty six, which is ironically announced while the two monarchs were swanning around Sydney. You know, Australia, the country that dropped the ball and led us to this tiere, a miss that we Victorians are still paying hundreds of millions of dollars to host nothing, to host nothing.
Speaker 1: What I would love producer James to do here is insert.
Speaker 2: Around the ball. I'm just we're in so much debt, Victoria is in so much debt, and we have spent three hundred and eighty million dollars to have.
Speaker 1: Nothing, to have nothing. Yeah, I think.
Speaker 2: So we'll take you back to that and how we've got to that point, George, So you take it away.
Speaker 1: Well tell me because as you recall, I know, because it lives in your mind. Rent free is what we're seeing. But what our listeners may not necessarily recall is that in July last year, Victoria abruptly Withdrew as the host of the twenty twenty six Commonwealth Games. We talked about it a little bit at the time, but one note that we actually could not get our wrap our heads around was when the then Premier Daniel Andrews said that it was going to cost too much money, was going to be too high, blowing out from two point seven billion, which was the forecast, to six maybe seven becoming the count from Sesame Street eight ha ha ha nine ha ha.
Speaker 2: I can't make this stuff up.
Speaker 1: And he said that it was quote to quote him I've made a lot of difficult decisions in this job. This is not one of them. It's never sat with us that particular call. It doesn't make sense. We've always been like, excuse me, hang on, can you explain the numbers. We're just not sure, bah bah. And as we have gone on, we've seen that it hasn't sat that well with a lot of people.
Speaker 2: And the reason why Victoria got this over the line, and it was a pre election promise, was that it was going to be a rural games and they were going to build infrastructure in regional Victoria and that's why they pulled it, essentially just saying the cost of production has blown out so much for these venues that we promised that we would build that we just can't be seen to be prioritizing six maybe seven billion dollars on a one off event when there's a housing crisis. No shit, Sherlock. But we have been left so the State Auditor General found that five hundred and eighty nine million had already been spent on the games that never went ahead. That figure includes three hundred and eighty million in compensation to the Commonwealth Games Federation, of which two hundred million has now been given to Glasgow to go can you do something with this shit sandwich? Like, can you please rescue this? So the Scottish government agreed for a rescue deal for a scaled down version of the twenty twenty six Games, with where a multimillion pound commitment was made by Australian authorities to save the event. Now they hosted the Games in twenty fourteen, yes, and they were seen as an overwhelming success. But you'll remember Emingham only hosted the last Commonwealth Games, also rescuing this format. Yes, so without footing most of the bill, Glasgow are getting to host and we are just having the check how does this all check out? And how? More the point, did we not think of hosting a scale down games when we have all the infrastructure and we hosted the Commonwealth Games recently.
Speaker 1: Which is actually what I thought at the time. The Commonwealth Games Committee, who we have since paid one hundreds of millions dollars of compensation to, did suggest like that was part of all of their workings, being like, hang on a second, let's not cancel, let's not cancel everything. Maybe we can just like rework some things, we can figure it out. I feel like that was a conversation that wasn't entertained by the Victorian government, and.
Speaker 2: Yet the Scots had it. And I thought, you know what I'm going to find. I'm gonna hear a barometer for how the Scottish feeling to have the Comonwealth Games. And this was the first podcast that popped up that I'm found talking about the Games. And if it is a reflection of the general view, it's bloody funny.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's some Mackey Moosh games in it.
Speaker 2: Wow, Lord Shay, we're already.
Speaker 3: Heard it in twenty fourteen and it's coming back in twenty twenty. Stays because Melbourne, the state of Victorian a shoeshes we can't afford to put it on. She when can we afford to put it on?
Speaker 2: Believe, can you know.
Speaker 3: What it's going to end up going? Shaudi Arabia. I should order bout sporting events school because they give the fucking money. He put them on because they've got all the money in the world and we're all fucking skin.
Speaker 2: So he has a point. Cost he's a massive issue. But the come Wealth Games Australia Boss Craig Phillips said, look, we were happy to talk to the Victorian government about finding ways of saving costs of the game. If eliminating sports from the program was a part of that, we certainly would have had the conversation. I've been on the record as saying we didn't really get that opportunity to have that conversation.
Speaker 1: They weren't interested. The Victorian government wasn't interested in saving these games. They they didn't want them to happen.
Speaker 2: Is that because like Devil's advocate here, building the infrastructure is the only reason the spend was justified. Yes, and if they did a scale down games, those in the region would have said, well, you've got your sport, but your billion dollar promise to us to make these stadiums and for these hotels and for this tourism were taken from us.
Speaker 1: I think that that is fair, and I do think that as a whole, the Commonwealth Games or large scale events like this, they are politically noxious like they they put a bad taste in people's mouths when you're talking about it when so many people are struggling, there's no denying we're seeing that.
Speaker 2: With Brisbane at the moment for the Olympic Game.
Speaker 1: Where's our stadium of which we were the only ones that bid.
Speaker 2: That's the thing. Is it seen as this big coup that we got it? Yeah, no one else wanted it. But we mentioned off the top that it was a Dan Andrews government. That again Dan Andrews who's getting a statue and he's honor for all of his services to Victoria. But we'll leave that there. Jacinta Allen was actually in charge of this bid. Oh yes, she was coming back to me the Now premiere. Yes, that's right, and she this week was queried about o make King and Queen being in the country and also about the Goldwealth Game. So let's have listened to what she had to say to Tom Elliott on three aw the.
Speaker 3: Commonwealth Games that there's a theory doing the rounds that you didn't want to see the King because you're embarrassed about the Commonwealth Games.
Speaker 2: Is that true? No?
Speaker 4: No, Why are.
Speaker 3: You refusing to release all the information about the decision making on the Commonwealth.
Speaker 5: We've released a significant amount of information. Plus the Order to General has examined this issue and he's released his report. We always said it was the most the Order to General was the appropriate with the pro independent agency independent agency to have a review of that decision, and he's released his report. And meanwhile, Tom, what we're getting on with is those investments in regional Victoria, which was why why we looked at this in the first place.
Speaker 3: You go to Glasgow.
Speaker 1: Will you go to Glasgow in two years and watch it?
Speaker 2: I doubt it?
Speaker 5: No, Right, I'll be focused Tom on building more homes here in Victoria, not heading off overseas to a sporting event.
Speaker 2: Not going on holiday building houses, Tom, building houses, Tom.
Speaker 1: Yeah, moving right along, Tom.
Speaker 2: Moving right along us. Because we've mentioned the ten sports and I'm sure you're going which ones made the cut? Yeah, in the.
Speaker 1: Scale down version of the Comonwalk games that will be taking place in Glasgow that Victoria is essentially paying to put on.
Speaker 2: So they will take place from Thursday, the twenty third of July to Sunday the second of August in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: That's actually terrifyingly not that far away.
Speaker 2: He's not that far away at all. A total of three thousand athletes are expected to compete. That's about half the number of athletes that we saw at Birmingham. This thoughts. That will feature rum roll here we go, athletics and para athletics, track and field, swimming and para swimming, artistic gymnastics, feel track cycling and para track cycling, netball, weightlifting and para powerlifting, boxing, judo bowls and para bowls, three by three basketball and three by three wheelchair basketball.
Speaker 1: I'm just looking down the list. I don't seem to see hockey.
Speaker 2: No hockey, or diving, or road cycling or badmington or beach volleyball or cricket our. Aussie women not able to defend their gold.
Speaker 1: Yeah, rugby sevens No rugby sevens.
Speaker 2: Mountain biking, rhythmic gymnastics.
Speaker 1: Which I actually love. I will always fight for rhythmic gymnastic.
Speaker 2: If it is on your watching, you are watching, you can't look away. The hoop, a chance to compete without Russia and America come dream jam table jennis and power table tennis. And you've got to think about the para athletes here as well. So para table tennis, gone triathlon and para triathlon and wrestling.
Speaker 1: Huge, huge, so a lot a lot of big outs, a lot of really really big out.
Speaker 2: The headline for me, there is hockey.
Speaker 1: Yes, for sure, for sure, the Kookoa baros and the hockey RWs. Obviously they dominate. At the Commonwealth Games.
Speaker 2: We want to combine fourteen medals, including seven straight gold for the men's team.
Speaker 1: Well that's unfortunately.
Speaker 2: Do you know why we love the comm Games, Georgie. We win, we win. We locked the floor with them, let us win, and they've just taken it from us. You know what.
Speaker 1: We love to win on home.
Speaker 2: Soil, and diving is a big one too. So diving a bit in every edition dating back to nineteen thirty of the Empire Games, and road cycling had featured since nineteen thirty eight. And I mean we didn't have a strong road cycling contingent in the Olympics. Oh wait, we did Grace Brown our first gold the Games, so I wasn't looking forward to seeing that one as well. But Commonwealth Games, Georgie. Why I get emotional about it, and there are many reasons, is it serves so much of a purpose in our Australian sporting landscape. I mean, you think Kathy in ninety four when she held both the Australian and the Indigenous flag and in nineteen ninety when she was the first Indigenous woman to win gold for Australia Yep. Those moments happened at a Commonwealth Games. There are memories and people that would have been inspired by the Games on the Gold Coast that are now competing at an Olympic level and that chance to have wear the Green and gold and feel that level of pressure can't be replicated.
Speaker 1: No, And it's this is the thing about the Commonwealth Games one. I think we need to talk about the incredible sense of community that it engenders for everyone who does take.
Speaker 2: Apart, it's the friendly game. It is.
Speaker 1: It's the Friendly Games. You see the power program integrated, which is huge, which is amazing because all that para athletes want is to be put on the same platform and the Commonwealth Games is one of the best events to do that. I also think that because there are some of these sports that aren't represented at an Olympic level. I was talking to Queen Lizellis last week, yes about exactly what those Commonwealth goals that she won in her career and that competition meant to her and it means the world. I was talking to Karen Murphy, the champion lawn bowler who was just inducted into the Sports Australia Hall of Fame Yes, that's how good she was. And it's like, don't you don't get to replicate. You don't get to have that moment at an Olympic Games. You have to have it at the Commonwealth Games. And if you're taking that away from all of these other sports, you're taking those opportunities away for those athletes. Oh, it doesn't sit well with me. Regardless of what you think about the Commonwealth. There are so many republics that compete, so many republic nations compete at the Commonwealth Games. You know, like, it's it can't be, it can't be. Shouldn't be this hard to hope to have them.
Speaker 2: I just think in the global climate at the moment, with how expensive these events are, once you take sports off the table, it's really hard to add them back on. Yes, and I think like all powder Glasgow for throwing a lifeline here so that we actually have the Commonwealth Games. But once you remove something, it's very very hard to add it back on. I agree. So the question is is this, Let's be honest, they look like school carnival events.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, yeah. Fun fact three buy three basketball?
Speaker 2: Know is that because it can happen in someone's driveway like you don't have to build the infrastructure. Is that it?
Speaker 1: I got to say, that wasn't one of my favorite events that was added to the Paris program. Yeah, I wasn't sure about that. Fun fact, Queenly's also calls the Olympics a glorified swimming carnival that will can't be there, So yeah, that is funny.
Speaker 2: I love it. She is the greatest, But I it hurts. It does?
Speaker 1: It does, And I think you're right, Jemmy. Does this then mean that there will be a time when we don't see the Commonwealth Games? I think it's teetering on the edge. I honestly do. I think we could go one of two ways where it doesn't exist. But then where is the platform for our elite athletes to compete. I know you'll have World Champs, but it's not the same.
Speaker 2: It's also the accessibility for mine. So if you wanted to get to Paris, my goodness, bring your check book. Yes, if you were a sporting family and wanted to take your kids and expose them to that opportunity, you need it to be in the top one percentile of people earning around the world. In order to get the flights we had athletes saying how exorbitant the tickets were, yep, and just accommodation everything else because of the scale of it all. When you think about the Commonwealth Games, you same bolt ran and won at a Commonwealth Games. Emma mckeehon is our most deck rated Commonwealth Games athlete, like, these are the best that we've ever seen in the world, and you could go for cheaper yeah, and your family could actually stay in those areas like it was viable. And again it's the feel good games. I just a really really worry. And again, unless it goes to Saudi Arabia, who can really afford to be hosting these events? And we've seen it with the FIFA with the World Cup being split across different nations because no one country in the current climate can put their hand up to host it. So not only does this bring into question the Commonwealth Games and its viability, but also the Olympic Games, which just makes me sad.
Speaker 1: You can't complain about Saudi shareholders taking over world sport if you don't fight for it yourself. And I know that it's not a level playing field, but you've got to at least look as though that you want it. And with the Commonwealth Games. I just don't know if that's if that's it, because there are genuine questions to be raised about it being a financial element. Those are genuine. You know, Birmingham still struggling after it hosted a couple of years ago, like it's still struggling financially in the wake of that.
Speaker 2: In what was seen as a very successful games, it has had a negative fiscal impact.
Speaker 1: What we're saying is we will always be advocating for the athletes because the opportunities for them to make a living, to be full time professional athletes are dwindling.
Speaker 2: And do you know what makes me go, ah, yeah, that's a direct quote, is all of this paves way for the Enhanced Games. It's true, George, it is because if you're getting one hundred thousand American dollars just to qualify as an athlete, and they have a scaled down programer think of only five sports, so it's going to be a lot more viable to host.
Speaker 1: The future is scary.
Speaker 2: It is scary and potentially druggy. It's a real Genure's another quote. But my thing, I love the Commonwealth Games. They're the feel good games. I think the integration of the power program is something that cannot be underestimated in terms of its power of bringing us all together. And when you watch Australians win, there's something about it that feels really good. And we win a lot at the Common Games. So don't take it from me us tell me yes, okay us everyone, But twenty twenty six is not too far away. We wait and see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and hey, they better be an Australian flag put somewhere. We're paying for the Games after all.
Speaker 2: Do you think there is another Commonwealth Games after Glasgow? Yes, I'm not so sure, Georgie. Yes, it's time for our favorite segment, fun facts. Sometimes they just land in your lap. One of our favorite fun facts there's a pineapple on top of the Winwooden Trophy. It came to me while I was watching Gold Like you win a Larry Emda on the chase. I love the chase. Judge me accordingly. Yesterday, my dear at the half was having a well earned beer because he's been doing a lot of the heavy handed parenting at the moment because I can't lift anything, and he looked at the lid and said, aren't you talking about the con Games this week? And I said, yes, yes we are. And he goes, there's a fun fact on my lid, and I went, this is a gift from the beer gods. From the beer gods, so I have brought in said lid.
Speaker 1: She hasn't.
Speaker 2: She's got to read to you a fact that it's so fun. A beer company thought it was relevant to put under a top. I do not even know anyway. Here we go, here we go at the nineteen Oh no.
Speaker 1: It's scrubbed off.
Speaker 4: Oh fact, the fact has been compromised because it turns out printing them on the bottom of a bottle cap is not very.
Speaker 2: I think it says at the nineteen sixty five games.
Speaker 1: Question mark fact check fact.
Speaker 2: At the nineteen sixty five Comnwealth Games, every single Aussie diver won a medal.
Speaker 1: Oh, shut up, that is fun.
Speaker 2: Let's find out if it was the game in sixty five, because it can also.
Speaker 1: If we weren't even numbers, Sure.
Speaker 2: That not every every I'm really trying.
Speaker 1: You can hang on, now I have the bottle cap. Okay, nineteen sixty six? Are you blind?
Speaker 2: Apparently? Is it sixty six?
Speaker 1: Sixty six?
Speaker 2: Oh? There you go, Yeah, that makes sense. Sixty six It would have to be even it's a games. Oh my god, my two brain cells that are knocking around anyway, Diving no longer a Commonwealth game sport. Oh but every diver one.
Speaker 1: That's crazy, that's mental. I wonder how many every diver won a medal. We do always punch above our weight in the diving exactly. Well, look look how fun that fact was, and sadly no fun facts like that heading into Glasgow possible.
Speaker 2: I'm off to get my eyes.
Speaker 1: I cannot begin to tell you, dear listeners, how easy this was.
Speaker 2: It is speckled. Okay, it's aged anyway. Thank you for listening and helping me see with two Good Sports in Sports News told me differently. Again. I know that we said it off the top, but thank you so much for the feedback and reaction to our last episode. We it was really overwhelming and we're prepreciate it so much. As always, you can follow us on Instagram at two Good Sports Podcasts. We'll catch you next week, but until then, Georgie, you be a good sport