Speaker 1: Meta Flex and Frooms, Flex and Frooms. This is the Flex and Frooms catch up podcast.
Speaker 2: Sweety Prize on today's show three and a half hour Movies in the Cinema Too Long, potentially his podcast tech Time, Tech Time, Tech Time.
Speaker 3: It's tech Time with Flex and Frooms on cater.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're about to get it.
Speaker 2: While we've been dedicating the majority of our time to TikTok and Instagram and other social media platforms, there's one that stood the test of time that I think we might have overlooked. That search engine is Pinterest. I know what you're thinking, it's for crafty mums and people planning weddings, but I promise it's perfect for a special third thing. So I don't think people understand what sets TikTok apart from Instagram. What makes it slightly different is it's not just a social media app. It doesn't exist to connect you to people that you know or broaden your networks by one or two degrees.
Speaker 4: It aimst introduce.
Speaker 2: You to things that you have not encountered before by aggregating information from the Internet and serving it to you based on your metadata and stuff like that, so you can search things in TikTok, like, you can't search things in Instagram, but pinterest did it first, and pintest has been doing it for ages. People claim to like it because there's no extra pressure on building like a persona or likes or anything. All you do there is curate your own social utopia. You look at little pictures of things that you like, and then you put those pictures and folders and you look at them.
Speaker 4: And that's what every platform is anyway.
Speaker 1: True looking at your own Instagram.
Speaker 4: No looking at other people's stuff.
Speaker 1: Oh that's true.
Speaker 2: So pinterest just you, you know, it uses all of your little metadata. It sees what you like, and there's this regenerating feed that just shows you cool new stuff based on other cool stuff you looked at before.
Speaker 4: It's great.
Speaker 1: Okay, Pinterest, Baddy, Are you getting paid for this?
Speaker 4: No, not at all.
Speaker 1: You should be pretty sure they've got a budget.
Speaker 4: What would you know about it?
Speaker 2: You're not an influencer. Price, but tell me about influencing. Stay in your lane.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 5: So I started using Pinterest to figure out what to do with my book cover amazing, and it hits differently. I'm in a little pink section and suddenly I'm getting you know, what's it called inspiration for days? I do think some people are better at Pinterests than others.
Speaker 4: Like with all platforms though.
Speaker 5: You my bestie Madison both just understand design and stuff, and so I would go on her Pinterest and.
Speaker 1: Be like, Damn, I'm dabbling, but I haven't done I don't do.
Speaker 5: Enough research to have breadth of creativity visually.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think that might be the floor with every platform. I know a lot of people who didn't get onto Twitter, so it's because they didn't know how to curate their fee to see tweets they wanted to like. Similarly, similarly with threads, Instagram, TikTok TikTok, I think is the only one that you can get away with no curation, have a really good time. Yeah, they've nailed it.
Speaker 1: An ex and frooms on Kaya.
Speaker 2: This time five maybe ten years ago, buying a copied or counterfeit item was fau par. It was frowned upon. It wasn't something you admitted to publicly, and even something you might deny if you were questioned on it. But apparently gen Z is changing the way people perceive duped items. So I was reading this article on CNBC that I was really intrigued by.
Speaker 4: First.
Speaker 2: It started out with talking about the difference between jupes and counterfeits. Soupes short for duplicates are just cheaper alternatives to premium or luxury products.
Speaker 1: I didn't know it was short for duplicates. I just thought it was a made up work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Whereas counterfeit is when someone is making an exact replica as something else with lower quality items and trying to sell it to you as if it's real, so it carries an unauthorized trademark or logo of a patentent brand. Jupes simply mimic certain features of more expensive products, and they can get real close to these dupes. They certainly can, and interesting enough, I feel like, I mean gen Z, what the oldest gen Z'd be twenty six, so I don't think it's unusual for any generation to come across their contradictory. Is the way that the media, in particular documents gen Z's contradictions makes it really confusing when you're looking at it from just an analytical point of view and not like a lived point of view. So gen Z is responsible for this rise and authenticity marketing this idea that they no longer want to be kind of like sold a lie, or they no longer want to be positioned as people who are buying into the lies of the world. Jupe culture fits neatly right into something because realistically, what's happening with these jupes and the argument that people used to make is that dupes are good because luxury brands overcharged. But there are dupes for finely priced items. There are jups of items that are sixty dollars, there are dupes for items that are easily accessible, there are dupes for items that don't really need to be duplicated. So what is it about jupe culture that's so enticing? If you look at the hashtag for jupes on tikto, it's like billions of millions, of billions and millions. I can't get to the bottom of it.
Speaker 5: I feel like everybody loves the idea that there's like a little like ooh, like I think.
Speaker 1: It's the thrill of the chase a lot.
Speaker 4: The purchase is no longer thrilling enough. Yeah, the purchase feel extra good.
Speaker 5: It's because we do so much online shopping nowadays, fascinating.
Speaker 1: We have a burning question.
Speaker 5: Usually its Flexiya brings these to the table. It is part of her remit. However, Mickey has brought one to my attention, as per usual. Working over time, we want to know, would you rather go back in time and give your sixteen year old self advice or have a visit from yourself in ten years and give you advice. Now, personally, I would want to see myself in ten years, come back and give.
Speaker 1: My self advice.
Speaker 5: Why because youth is waning, y'all, And I reckon the last two years is when I started to realize that I am just like everyone else and I will get old one day, and that has been a process of mourning, also a process of excitement. I feel like in the last two years I realized It's like when pick meism became a thing that we all talked about. I really realized that my pick meisms have been a lifelong trait.
Speaker 1: And I realize and I don't.
Speaker 5: Mean that in the context of men necessarily, I mean more just me thinking that I am like terminally unique. So my friend says, terminal uniqueness, You think that you're so unique that you die. So I would want my thirty eight year old self to come down and give me advice, because I feel like she would tell me to just enjoy myself and go out more. And I think also she could give me some I think I would trust her because when I was sixteen, I thought that I knew everything, and it's only now every year I learned.
Speaker 1: So much more. I sound like Kylie realizing things.
Speaker 2: I would go back in time, but not to give myself advice, just to get perspective. I think that a lot of people make the consequence of living in the future when they should be living in the past is a good indication of where they're going. I don't think future me has anything to say that is relevant right now that won't just because realistically, like, if I get there anyway, then what do you have to tell me?
Speaker 4: I'm her?
Speaker 2: Like I'm her right now, So if you're just ten years in the future, I'm gonna get there regardless me in the past, though, I think that we do a lot of, like you said, this mental gymnastics on what the past was really like and is it the way I imagined it? And I would like to just get perspective on all the things. Just observing me? Was I as quiet as I thought? I was Was I as friendly as I thought I was? Was it really that hard to be raised in a certain environment?
Speaker 4: Was school that hard? I just want to watch and then bounce.
Speaker 5: That's a good idea to watch. I feel like I like retroactively get. I saw this meme which was like, I want to know if my childhood was actually harder, if I'm like I have told myself that or like that thing was just like I had a medium hard childhood.
Speaker 1: And that's why I like struggle. I can't really relate to either one of those. But I just thought, that's funny you're listening to Flex and Rooms on kit.
Speaker 2: Some Hollywood studios are pissed off with Australian cinemas and that's odd because I really feel like the world isn't really checking for Australia like that. So what mistake did we make in the movie realm that they're angry? So basically, the summary of the gossip is that some cinemas locally want to put an intermission between manscor Sacy's new film Killers of the Moon.
Speaker 4: The movie is three and a half hours long. Oh what is it about? Zn't worry about it, zongorry.
Speaker 2: But here's the thing. Some independent cinemas in America have already just made an executive decision to just put an intermission in the middle of a movie at the one and a half hour point. Let's just pause, get a snack, like the theater, go to the bathroom, see how you feel. But the issue is they're doing it without permission, which is illegal. Number one and number two violate's licensing agreement, which says that you can't like, change or doctor the film in any way. That's just like a legal point like porriob. Now the Australian cinemas are arguing that if the movie were streamed, people would take breaks anyway. So why are we making the watching process difficult in the environment when they should be experiencing the most luxurious way to watch this movie. We shouldn't be punishing them for spending fifty bucks on a ticket to come see this movie. Make it easy for them. And in response, they're saying, that's not the director's vision, but is the director's vision walking out through a movie because it's too long. Mickey has actually seen the movie in cinemas.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I saw it at the movies. How was it Saturday night?
Speaker 1: It was too long?
Speaker 3: Yes, and as I got my snacks. You know, I got my popcorn, my malteesers, my big drink of coke. Was it done halfway through the movie?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Was I thirsty? Yes? Could I leave?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: And I turned around. And to be fair, I watched it on Saturday night and everyone was asleep.
Speaker 4: Oh stop.
Speaker 3: There was a man snoring behind me. People with their feet up. Everyone's like leaning on each other's shoulders.
Speaker 1: People were tired.
Speaker 3: It was too long.
Speaker 1: It was he feels like work.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and like I was like itching, Like I was like itching to get it done, like I reckon for the last hour. I was like, get me out of here.
Speaker 4: Did you enjoy it?
Speaker 1: That was okay?
Speaker 5: That's how I feel when I go to musicals. Oh yeah, except for Angelia that hit different.
Speaker 4: I always appreciate an intermission when it comes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would have loved an intermission to go refill my coat, just like stretch my legs a little.
Speaker 4: Bit or off of service.
Speaker 2: I mean you went in gold class ware. Yeah, that's how they get. Yeah, it's upgrade for next time.
Speaker 4: Have any of these complaints?
Speaker 1: You had it here first, folks.
Speaker 5: Troy Savanne is the new Kylie Minogue.
Speaker 1: Hand or heart. I am obsessed with this man.
Speaker 5: I only understand fan culture when I got across choy Savan.
Speaker 4: I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 1: It was in the last six months, a late adopter.
Speaker 4: Perfect timing. That means the marketing is working. Marketing, the marketing, Yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: Okay, what do you mean? Well, I just love his songs and what you think you think you.
Speaker 2: Just happened to like Choice one in the last six months because he's fresh and underground, not because he's been on a rigorous marketing and PR campaign for the last six months.
Speaker 5: Honestly, I love when things work, so if that's it feels organic. His dancing, his songs, the way that bag Raders let him do, the little bit of shooting stars in got me started. Tell me why I'm listening to Chroy Sevan every single day about ten times a day. Going to walk got me started.
Speaker 1: And I don't think it's the.
Speaker 5: First like person where I've wanted to learn a dance. That's that song. So obviously, because I'm a new fan, I had to go and do my research. There were some prior songs that I did get around, including my My My and nineteen ninety nine was Charlie xx I remember, but I went in some research and realized that he was.
Speaker 1: A child star.
Speaker 5: He was on the Perth Telethon in two thousand and six and we're also the same age guys, and he was giving twenty four, so you know what that means. I'm giving twenty four as well. And he was also the little baby in Wolverine. I feel like he's one of the Australians who is going to transcend the Australian cringe thing, not.
Speaker 4: Of fans like you keep gripping on him, rimon.
Speaker 2: Australians love to grip when things are in their peak and prime. He's really going to transcand the Australian cringe. Ee if you leave him alone, let him transcend to different markets and then he won't maintain any people who have not been able to escape Australian cringe though the Australians cannot unsell their claws.
Speaker 1: From Also, sorry, I've got the biggest thing. His architecture.
Speaker 4: What was the comparison between Carli.
Speaker 5: Mean, yeah, okay, let me break it down for y'all. Choice of arm was in Architectural Digest. His house in redacted suburb. I reckon it's the best architectural digest I've seen in terms of like people love it because like I could get that lamp, or like you couldn't, but I could get that lamp. Compared to Kylie. When I was a kid, my parents used to drive down Kylie Minoaks Street to show us the house.
Speaker 1: It was in Glen Something. Someone will know it anyway.
Speaker 5: We used to do drive by to her house and I think, oh, my old Kylie Minoake's house. So that's an architectural dry jest in and of herself Number two Camp number three pop songs that will stand the test of time.
Speaker 4: I feel like I've.
Speaker 1: Unlocked something here, Guys, Kyler men O choice of arm.
Speaker 4: You've been listening to The Flex and Froom's daily podcast.
Speaker 3: For more, Tune Indicater on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.