Speaker 1: If you're a knowledge worker, the quality of your thinking ultimately determines the quality of your work. So how do you improve the quality of your thinking?
Speaker 2: Well, that's a pretty big question now.
Speaker 1: One person trying to answer that question is Tim Urban, the author of the incredibly successful blog called Wait But Why. Tim writes about everything from careers to the state of American power, to Elon Musk's vision for the future, and of course he writes about thinking and how we can get better at it. Tim shares how to break big, difficult ideas into smaller, more manageable components, and outlines how he fights procrastination.
Speaker 2: My name is doctor amanthe Immer.
Speaker 1: I'm an organizational psychologist and the founder of behavioral science can so Inventium, and this is how I work, a show about how to help you.
Speaker 2: Do your best work.
Speaker 1: One of Tim's most notable public appearances was his ted talk about procrastination, which has been viewed by over sixty three million people, and if you haven't seen it, if you're not one of those sixty three million people, you should check it out immediately because it's brilliant. I wanted to know whether Tim had developed new strategies for beating procrastination since he delivered that Ted talk several years ago.
Speaker 3: My life's work is trying to conquer my own procrastination. So yeah, I like that you said that they're working because there's a lot of articles on how to beat procrastination, a lot of advice. And what I find is that most procrastinators, like myself, read one of those articles, we get super inspired.
Speaker 4: We think I'm doing this, this is it, I'm doing that from now on. I'm all set. I just figured on. And then maybe we do it for.
Speaker 3: A day or two, or we don't even do it at all. Uh, and then and then move back to where we were right. So what actually works? I think there's two categories of solution here. One is a picture that your habits are kind of a boat that you're in, and if you're a procrastinator, it means something about the boat's not working well, like there's a there's a leak, or there's something's broken. And so the two categories of solution for something like this are you repair the boat in a permanent way, like you actually fix the thing and it's fixed, or you you put temporary duct tape or something over the pole and it's not permanent.
Speaker 4: It's not actually fixed.
Speaker 3: The boat's still broken, but it's the leak isn't happening right now because you've you've taped it up for a one. And so what I've been trying for the obviously ideally you're the first category where you're actually changing your habits and you're growing as a human and you're you're not the way you used to be anymore. And so for that category, the it's I've been trying to.
Speaker 4: A couple of things. I've been trying to remind myself that even a.
Speaker 3: Big you know, we have this idea in the US at least that forty hours is a good work you know, eight hour day is a good work day.
Speaker 4: It's like half the half the day.
Speaker 3: You know, you have sixteen awaking hours, put in eight good hours of working done a full day. If you actually go into most people's offices or most people's workplaces who say they work forty hours a week, can you look at what they're actually doing and how much of that is really on focusing deep focus, on real work. The number is usually a lot less than forty. And I would say I've found that I think as a writer, at least if I put in three deep, focused hours, that's a huge that's a great day, like I I I, but but but it's the psychology is weird where in my head it's like if I wake up at you know, eight thirty, and I think, if I just pulled my lap up onto the bed and work till eleven thirty, I'm done. Something about that doesn't It's like the perfectionist to me is like, well, no, I have to work all day. And what I find is that I'll spend the whole day sitting around working, except I'm like in this kind of gray areas where I'm supposed to be working but I'm not, or that I am a little and then I stop and there's a lot of breaks, and so it's this kind of gray area, not really playing, not really.
Speaker 4: Working zone that I spend a ton of time.
Speaker 3: And I call it the dark playground where you're you're kind of in leisure time you're not supposed to be in leasure time. I will, i will put in a huge amounts of hours each week, and then I'll find that in the end, if I really were honest about how many of those are real hours, it adds up to about three hours a day at a really good week. So the point is what I'm trying to get better at is less of this permanent gray area between work and play and more like, I am going to get my three hours done, and the psychology of that to be like instead of you know, thinking I have this whole work day ahead. No no, no, If I just wait three hours, I'm free for the whole day. But really doing it. Doing those three hours because it compiles that's fifteen hours a week, that's sixty real hours a month.
Speaker 4: You can fly through projects and then genuinely on the other side of it having time.
Speaker 3: So it's turning grades to black and white where you're not just doing one side of the yin yang, but you're actually doing the other two. You're genuinely playing when you're you're not giving yourself guilt free off time where you're doing high quality stuff and you're having fun in guilt free fund.
Speaker 4: That's it recharges your battery for the hardcore work.
Speaker 3: Zone the next day. So it's either going to be a hardcore work zone or nothing at all. That's where I'm trying to get That is much more effective than kind of sitting here all day not.
Speaker 4: You know, kind of working. So there's a bunch of things. I have a bunch of strategies like that.
Speaker 3: Now the second pile of strategies is the duct tape, right, And so what I'm trying to do is while I build that habit, for example, is I'm trying to duct tape the boat into that habit. I have colleague Alisha, and she is the wise manager of lots of things, the one week of why employee, and she does like a million things.
Speaker 4: And one of the things that her job entails is dealing.
Speaker 3: With my uh flaws and like procrastination. And that's why my procrastination has very much become her problem. And so one of the things one of the things that we've been doing, which has been great, and again it's treating myself like a baby, but it sometimes that's what you need to do, is we have as either in person or on slack video nine thirty to twelve thirty, you know, these three hours in the morning, the three hours I want to be deep focusing at minimum. We have her either sitting next to me or she can see my screen or I share my screen with her on zoo and she's working on her own stuff. She's not just staring at my screen, but I me knowing that she might be looking at my screen, it's enough external pressure to be like, well, I'm not going to go dick around right now like someone's watching me, and then I find get my work done. I mean, she knows exactly what's supposed to be in my screen and what's not. I'm not going to go start texting when she's looking at my screen.
Speaker 4: So I'm just going to work.
Speaker 3: And it's not like procrest enters often you don't have to drag them, you know, clawing and fighting to work.
Speaker 4: You just have to give them like a little.
Speaker 3: Push when they're like I don't want to It's like, oh okay, fine, right, So that to me is enough of a push to get me to do those three hours. So again, that's duct taping the boat because I still if Alicia's not there, then I won't do it. Probably fixing the boat means I don't need her anymore. I'm just going to do this because that's what I do, right, So that's what I'm aiming for. But in the meantime, I'm having someone who is going to make me feel ashamed to not be working when it's supposed to be working, and people do other kinds of duct tape. They'll have a friend, they owe a friend will they'll pay a friend some money and that money that that friend's going to donate that money to a cause they.
Speaker 4: Hate if they don't get their stuff done right.
Speaker 3: So there's a lot of ways you can kind of you know, duct take the boat in the meantime, and that's that's mostly what I'm doing now.
Speaker 4: But I'm my goal in life is to not need the duct tape anymore.
Speaker 1: Working on let's talk about how do we fix the boat so you don't need the duct tape. What are some of the strategies that you're working on there to get to that utopian work life.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, if you read on you know, books on habits, you know there's real it's some you know, this is not some mystery thing. Your brain is a machine that has automated program that's running at all times. And that's kind of like sometimes have to go I will It'll be I'll woken up, come out out into the kitchen and I'll say, did I brush my teeth?
Speaker 4: And I literally don't know. I have to go and check it.
Speaker 3: The tooth brushes wet because brushing my teeth in the morning is so automated that my conscious brain doesn't even have any knowledge whether it happened, just unconsciously, I was thinking about something and I did it, and you.
Speaker 4: Know you usually answers, yes, oh yeah, I did, but I only remember because it was so it's so unconscious.
Speaker 3: Right, So that can be good, or that can work in our favor or against us. Right, if we have good habits, that's incredible. Like for example, like I never have to never procrastinate in brushing my teeth. I never miss a debt. It's not hard. I don't put any willpower into it because the automated program hasn't come. And so when we have good habits in general, our brain doesn't put it much resistance.
Speaker 4: We just do it. It's just it's just not even a question mark.
Speaker 3: You know, of course we're going to do it, and just do it and it's over and you don't think about it. It's it's when you don't have the habit you have to put in willpower. Now, especially when usually when you don't have the habit, it's because you have a bad habit. For a procrastinator, that habit, but you sit down in the computer to get to your work, and as soon as you look at the work and it's this is icky, without even thinking about it, your hand will just keyboard shortcut over to the chrome window or to your texts, and you'll start doing something else without even thinking about it or you know, like so you'll just be in a habit of procrastinating at the beginning of your work block, which then might you know, when you start procrastinating, it becomes even harder.
Speaker 4: The longer you go, the harder it is. See it out of that and get get to work.
Speaker 3: So so I would say that, like, that's what you're trying to do, is you're trying to have as many of the automated programs in your head working in line with your long term goals as possible. So I think that if you can get this is part of what I'm trying to do with.
Speaker 4: Alisha is just train my brain to like think, I wake.
Speaker 3: Up and procrastination like isn't happening right now, Like fun is not it's not what's on the menu.
Speaker 4: It's not even an option.
Speaker 3: Like I'm just like obviously i wake up and I'm like it sucks, but I'm in workmode and then suddenly I'm free in the afternoon and get my beau because you know, before I got into this routine, it would be the opposite.
Speaker 4: I wake up and I love waking up. Ah, there's my phone and all the things to look.
Speaker 3: At on my phone, and then like the way to make coffee and then maybe take a walk, maybe I'll call a friend. Like it would seem like oh so much, and it's like no, no, no, I want to train my brain to think this is that's later. None of that stuff happens now. This is this is serious time. So I think, yes, you want to And when you build those habits, you don't need the willpower anymore, right, and so it becomes a lot easier. So it seems like, oh, this is impossible to maintain these, you know, this kind of good schedule at first. If you've done it for a month straight, you will find often that it's kind of just happening now.
Speaker 4: It's not as hard as it used to be. Now to go one notch a deeper.
Speaker 3: Here's like the to me, like the true like long term underlying strategy underlying all of this is you have to change your identity from a procrastinator to a non procrastinator, you have to change your storyline. You have to convince yourself that you are someone who doesn't fuck around during your work block.
Speaker 4: I'm the kind of person who just does this.
Speaker 3: And I know that not because I think I am, because I know I am, because I just look at the last ten weeks, look at the last year.
Speaker 4: I'm just just just what I did right now. I don't have to convince myself I'm someone who brushes my teeth every morning.
Speaker 3: Because I actually am, and I have full confidence, self confidence that I'm going to do it again tomorrow, and I'm going to When it comes to will I procrastinate tomorrow?
Speaker 4: Will I will?
Speaker 3: I will? I work in my work zone right the way I want to. It's less of a I don't feel as confident in it now. I view it as like there's kind of this awareness in your head that's watching. I call it the spectator, and it's watching everything that happens and a picture that spectator is betting on, whether you know. I always think of the you know, the procrastinator's mind as a rational decision maker and an instat gratification monkey.
Speaker 4: And that's what I talked about in the Ted talk, and these two.
Speaker 3: Characters are battling for control of the wheel and the procrastinators everyone has that. But the procrastinator's problem is that the monkey is winning the wrong times. But I don't think you're either of those. I think that you truly are behind them. Your spectator is watching this, and if that spectator thinks the monk he's going to win, the monkey's probably going to win. That spectator believes no, no, no, Like I think that the rational, the grown up in the head, is going to win out here, Probably the grown up will because that spectator's belief is like self confidence, and that feeds into what's going to happen. So this is why I think self fulfilling prophecies are very real. Like whatever the spectator believes is going to happen usually does because that's where your confidence lies, and.
Speaker 4: The spectator isn't Again, it's just rational.
Speaker 3: It's just looking at, well, what happened before, Like if I procrastinated money through Thursday, the spectator I wake up in the morning, and that spectators on Friday thinking this is you know, deep down, no way, no way am I going to.
Speaker 4: Actually do what I'm supposed to do today. Right there, When you have that thought, you're probably going to mess it up.
Speaker 3: You're probably not going to do what you're supposed to do that day because you don't believe it yourself.
Speaker 4: So how do you change that?
Speaker 3: Right? How do it? That's this this vicious cycle. That's why procrastinators get stuck for years. The vicious cycle is because you believe you're going to fail, so you do, which enforces the belief that you're going to fail, so you do again. Right, you have to David has to beat Goliath somehow, Right, you have to.
Speaker 4: See.
Speaker 3: That's why I'm using, for example, my colleague Alisha as a kind of an assistant in this. I'm trying to create ways to help David beat Goliath. A few times upset, and then the spectators start to think, huh, well, maybe actually here, maybe I've changed, Maybe this is a different person now, Maybe I am not the procrastinator I used to be. That's the kind of thinking that can lead to genuine like I really don't do it anymore.
Speaker 4: I just stop doing it one day.
Speaker 3: So there's a lot of jumble thoughts because I'm like I think about this all the time, obviously, but I think It's like things like you know, you can talk about habits and stuff all day, but deep down, it's like you have to just do it enough you start to believe that I am someone who has changed, and then you actually will be someone who has changed.
Speaker 1: I'm intrigued that you go straight to habits as opposed to purpose when we talk about procrastination. I remember a while ago when I had Adam Grant on the show and he talked about how he will reward himself after doing a chunk of deep focused work, which social media, and then I asked him, well, what brings you back to your work, Like how do you not get lost in that social media spiral? And he says, well, I want to work. I'm really clear on why I work and I love it and I feel that way about my work too. But I procrastinate a lot, and I'm curious what role does loving what you do? I mean, you write and draw for a living that is most people in many people's dream job, and you get to do it, yet you're still procrastinating. So where does purpose and loving what you do fit in?
Speaker 3: My work has a ton of purpose to me? Right, I feel like you don't feel very lucky to get to do what I do, and I feel like it matters. And so I do feel that way, right, and like you that that's not enough.
Speaker 4: Because here's the thing. The work I had, the work.
Speaker 3: I do has a lot of long term meaning, right, it has macro meaning finishing a blog post and putting it out feels amazing.
Speaker 4: Right, It's this reward you get. But that's not so.
Speaker 3: The instant gratification monkey in your head can't think launch.
Speaker 4: I can't see that big picture.
Speaker 3: So the rational decision maker is this is this prefrontal cortex part of our brain that can see the big picture and plan I had. It's this amazing thing that separates humans from so many other animals. The instant gratification monkey is much more of an ancient part of your brain that is shared with a lot of animals that wants to that is not in the world it evolved into. It's like a software program that evolved to live in a world that we don't live in anymore. So this idea of writing, working on writing that sometime fourteen months from that is going to be published as a book, that part of my brain just like doesn't it can't get excited about it now a tweet. On the other hand, I tweet a ton because the tweet is instant gratification. So and when I tweet, I try to write meaningful stuff too. The purpose exists there too, and it's much easier to do and not procrastinate because you get immediate feedback and mediate reward. Is the rational decision maker knows about how much purpose and meaning there is, But the instant gratification monkey isn't that meaning to me? Usually it comes I don't like the doing the actual work very much. I love putting the work out there. I love when I hear that the work resonates with other people, right. I love when the work connects my brain to other brains. That doesn't happen while I'm working there. That's just me alone, And so then the reward's not there yet. The reward's all coming later. And so the purpose I can know it, you know rationally in my head that there's purpose, but I don't feel it in that primal part. And that's the reason that I will go on the internet and start sticking around as a five minute break, and now it's four hours later, because it.
Speaker 4: Becomes this the instant gratification.
Speaker 3: Monkey just wants to resist something that you have to actually work hard on that's not perfectible. You know, I once was wondering, I've spent so much time crushing these hard crossword puzzles, you know, New York Times Saturdays and Fridays, and I'm thinking, why don't I procrastinate on that? Right? Why is that somehow fun? It's hard? It's a challenge, right Versus then working on this Microsoft word doc when I'm trying to figure out how to outline this next section?
Speaker 4: Isn't that also a puzzle?
Speaker 3: And I think the answer is that it's it's not perfectible. You know, there's some there's some kind of thing, primal thing that the crossroad puzzle taps into that the that you know, working on long term, more abstract stuff just doesn't that, you know, it doesn't.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: We will be back with Tim soon where we talk about his process for visualizing ideas. And if you have read any of Tim's incredibly popular blog posts, you will know how amazingly talented Tim is at visualizing ideas to make them stick. If you're looking for more tips to improve the way that you work, I write a short fortnightly newsletter that contains three cool things that I've discovered that helped me work better, ranging from software and gadgets that I'm loving through the interesting research findings. You can sign up for that at Howiwork dot code That's how I Work dot co.
Speaker 2: I want to dig into the.
Speaker 1: Three hour workday which he just described where you're sharing your screen with a lee shot and I love the sound of that strategy. What are you doing with the other five hours? Like, are you making that more black and white? Because you were saying the problem is that it's gray and it's this dark playground.
Speaker 2: So what do you do with that other five hours of the workday.
Speaker 4: Well, first of all, there's just always a lot of stuff to do.
Speaker 3: When I say deep focus, I mean it's like to deep focus on the thing that's most important, right, and sometimes that's.
Speaker 4: Something that's not urgent. You know, have you've heard of the Eisenhower matrix?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Right, So it's.
Speaker 3: Arranging everything by how urgent it is and how important it is. You make a square, right, so important is the top, and then it gets less important as you go down, and it gets more.
Speaker 4: Urgent as you go to the left.
Speaker 3: The point is that a lot of times we spend a ton of our time gets sucked.
Speaker 4: Up doing the stuff that's urgent but not important.
Speaker 3: So that's emails, that's meetings often you know, sometimes there you know, it's errands, it's paying bills, it's taking care of your dogs or your kids. Again, it's not that this stuff isn't important, but it's stuff that has to happen urgently and and and the definition of important here is does it contribute to your long term goals, values or mission. And usually we spend a lot of this time doing this urgent stuff. It doesn't actually contribute to.
Speaker 4: Our long term goals, values and mission.
Speaker 3: Now, ideally, of course the important stuff would also be urgent, right, so then you're forced to do the importance. But for most of us, the really important long term work we need we want to work on, you know. And you know, whether it's improving as a person or getting better at you know, building a new skill, or working on a book that you've always wanted to write, or trying to get good at the guitar because you want to put out an album and that really, we deeply would affect our happiness if we could just do it. Those things usually don't have deadlines, on right. Those things often are very important, but they're not urgent.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: That can also extend outside work, seeing your family enough, you know, you know, spending quality time with your your your family, or going to the gym whatever, that's that's this this this this important but not urgent pile of stuff. And that's kind of the thing I think a lot of us need to be spending that three hours, you know, just like stuff where it's like this is a sacred space for whatever.
Speaker 4: The most important project.
Speaker 3: Is the stuff that's really itchy, to stuff that's really hard to do, the stuff that like matters that in thirty years I'll look back and like this will be part of something that mattered and I'll still know that then. Right now, if you can do that for three hours, five days a week, that's huge, right, that's a ton of time.
Speaker 4: Sixty hours a month. I mean, you will make incredible progress.
Speaker 3: You can write a whole book just with those three hours, five days a week in one year, right, even less for some people.
Speaker 4: Outside of that.
Speaker 3: Is all the other stuff, right, there's so there's a huge everyone if you just live in a civilization today, we have a huge amount of this emails, there's texts, There's there's bills and errands and things that need to get done.
Speaker 4: There's just your to do list, right, and a lot of stuff at work.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: Sometimes it's just you're trying to you want to reorganize your all your folders.
Speaker 3: You want to like, you know, you know, meet with the developer who's going over your new website.
Speaker 4: You know, you want to have a.
Speaker 3: Meet all that stuff. It's it matters, and it's work you have to do. But but the three hours is reserved for something that if you could just make.
Speaker 4: Progress on it, your whole life would be totally changed.
Speaker 3: And if you don't make progress on it, like you'll really build up long term regrets.
Speaker 4: It's this really important project.
Speaker 3: So now I'm saying this as if like every day I do my three hours of like you.
Speaker 4: Know work for me.
Speaker 3: That for me, the really important thing right now is finishing this book I've been working on and getting you know, writing right, writing and putting out making content, creating you know, the content that I want to put it. That's the most important stuff. This is a plan, This is a work in progress, right. I often hear some mistakes on me. Sometimes I will We'll do it for a while, and then I'll have a couple early meetings, so then we won't do it for a couple of days, and then I find like a week later, oh and then Lisha's like, you want to get back on the nine thirty three, and I'm like, yes, but it's easy to kind of just let it slip. Secondly, it's easy too if I have made a good a lot of progress to power through and keep working, which isn't not not isn't necessarily a bad thing. But I find that it's very hard to have a streak of good days if I have one like great, great day, you know, as weird as that sounds. If I like power through and I work like six hours, it's really hard to come back the next day and just do those three. So I'm trying to stop after three, but I often find myself not stopping.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I think I think the way to think about it.
Speaker 3: Is what this is for me, at least three hours, five days a week of is sacred time that no one else And this means when I say deep focus.
Speaker 4: I mean you're not on your phone.
Speaker 3: Maybe you take a five minute break, you know, each hour, something that's planned. But like you're not cooking food, you're not taking phone calls, you're not checking your email or anything like you are like, it's like, think of it as a final exam. You know, you know the zone you're in when you're you go and do a final exam right in college or whatever, and you're there and you're like, you know, it's just like hardcore and you finish, you're like, ah, done, time's up, right, that's the goal.
Speaker 4: That's where you want to get.
Speaker 3: Where you're in, like final exam of the three hours, which means you've all your your whole schedule, your calendar.
Speaker 4: Takes this into account.
Speaker 3: Like that is you might as well be you're just off the map for those hours and you plan everything around that. And then when that's done, you could say okay, and now you could say the rest of the day, you know, you can work on the rest of your life.
Speaker 4: Maybe you fail at that and you just procrastinate. It doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: The days already success you already want. And likewise, the week, even if the week you didn't get all the other little things done, you got behind your to do list, for what really matters, the week is a success.
Speaker 1: I want to talk about visualizing ideas. I feel like it's something that you're incredibly well known for, and I feel like some of the ways that you've visualized ideas in your blog posts, it just I feel like.
Speaker 2: They're images that are etched in my head.
Speaker 1: Like I think about the tail end blog post that you wrote quite some time ago, and I feel like I will, you know, semi regularly think about the way you illustrated the course of a life and how much time we have. What's your approach to firstly deciding what concepts you're writing about deserve worthy of an illustration.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's always a question mark, is when to use writing versus.
Speaker 4: Visuals to get a point across.
Speaker 3: There's there's certain times for both, right, There's obviously writing needs to take the meat of the stuff for me at least, and there's something that writing can do that visuals can't write like writing you can. There's just you know, language has has a lot of ability to get certain things across that that that.
Speaker 4: You can't do in a visual.
Speaker 3: But if there's certain times when like nothing is like a good visual Like so for example, with this how much time you have in your life? I could describe it. I could say here the number of weeks you have. Here, the number of months you have, But big numbers were not very you know, in writing, big numbers don't really have as much impact if you can, you know, so like I can say you have forty five.
Speaker 4: Hundred weeks the life.
Speaker 3: Okay, that kind of sounds like an endless number, and I'm not endless, but that's like forty five hundred okay whatever. You know, it doesn't sound that different than if I said forty five thousand. It's just kind of like some big number, right. But if I suddenly illustrate it and boom, you're looking at them all there they are, that's it. And especially I'll test it out sometimes I would do something like that and look and say, that looks like that looks like what the number sounds like. So what's the point of putting the visual in there. The wording is going to get the same is going to have the same effect. But when I've made that particular one, I looked at it and I said, wow, that is so much smaller than the number sounds. So that's a perfect time to do it, right. So I think sometimes there can be something that's funny, a like a comic can can be funnier than wording a lot of the time. Sometimes it can be more sticky and more memorable. So like I can talk about the instant gratification monkey and the panic monster and the rational decision maker all I want, right, But if it's just these long words, these terms versus a visual boom, it can stick.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 3: So so a visual can help it be, can help something come through that that it's not going through writing. It can help make things clearer, and it can help it be more memorable. So for me, I'm always there's no formula as I'm writing. I'm always thinking about you know, I don't want to do a visual just for the sake of doing it. Would would a visual help here? What a visual will help a lot here? Would it make things better? Can this whole paragraph, this whole section just be is one good visual.
Speaker 4: Can be better? I've also made mistakes before.
Speaker 3: I've done a visual that is kind of convoluted or doesn't accomplish that much, and I often and I will later come back and just look at it and think like this didn't pop, Like actually I would have just described this concept. I tried to get too cute here with like a visual that has like four dimensions and like has all this stuff, and I'm looking and I'm like.
Speaker 4: This just didn't work.
Speaker 3: And so I'm always trying to get better at that and like, you know, yeah.
Speaker 1: How does one get better at visualizing things?
Speaker 4: Well, honestly, like I have a again, I'm lucky.
Speaker 3: The way my work works is that I try something, then I publish it, and then if it's not good, three hundred people are going to tell me how bad it is, and likewise, and likewise if something's if something's good, likewise, I can tell which drawings really clicked because I see them on Twitter. You know, people repost them, people want them, you know, people talk about.
Speaker 4: Them years later. That's the best way I know.
Speaker 3: If if a year later, you know, or multiple years later, I'm still seeing people talk about the visual, I know that it worked right, it was it did what I wanted to do. And then other visuals, there's visuals like there's so that the tail end was like kind of the second version of a post I did. The first one was called life and Weeks, which was just the week's thing before I started talking about time with people, and I did this, you know, fifty two week by ninety year grid right, and that I know has clicked because people have bought poster that I've made with it, people have bought t shirts and if people talk about it. Meanwhile, late in that same post, there's this other visual where I have this like really convoluted ven diagram, and I have never once heard anyone mention it again or talk about it or appraise it or tweet it. I've never And I looked at it and I barely remembered it was that there you go, So right there, I'm getting feedback and learning what's good and what's working what's not in real time by feedback.
Speaker 4: So that's huge.
Speaker 3: Now, some people obviously don't have that particular thing. Maybe they write, but they don't have comments on their blog or whatever. You know, there's a lot of reasons that you wouldn't be able to get feedback, and I think it's just experience.
Speaker 4: I think, like it's doing a lot of visuals.
Speaker 3: Each one you often have an idea of what it should be, and then as you do it, it evolves into something different and you just learn so much about your own skills by doing that. You just you know, sometimes you stumble upon as you're making a visual upon like a new idea that you could use with the visual and then.
Speaker 4: You can repeat that in the future.
Speaker 3: But you never would have learned that just by like you know, so I think just a lot of repetition, and ideally repetition with feedback, yeah.
Speaker 4: Helps them. The same thing goes for writing, of course.
Speaker 3: I mean the best way to be good at writing is to write a lot, especially if you can write a lot.
Speaker 4: And get feedback as you go.
Speaker 3: I mean, but even just writing a lot in a journal alone, like, it's just it'll it'll improve, like anything shooting a basketball a million times, like you'll get better at shooting the basketball.
Speaker 1: Tim, I wish, I wish I had like all day with you because it's it's just been so absolutely inspiring connecting with you after having followed your blog for so many years.
Speaker 2: So thank you so much for your time. For listeners that want to consume more Tim Urban and wait for why, what is the best way for people to do that?
Speaker 3: Just my blog way dot com and the email list is where you like can go to know that a new post is up, because otherwise I post very sporadically and it's really annoying to just check the site for a new post. So go to the site and you can sign up for the email list there. And then also, I'm with wy on Twitter. I tweet a lot because that's what I do, and I'm procrastinating.
Speaker 2: Amazing. Thank you so much, Tim, and thank you for spending this last hour with me.
Speaker 4: Yes, thank you so much for RepA.
Speaker 1: One of the highlights of this chat with Tim for me was his accountability strategy with his assistant Alisha. So I recently hired a new assistant who has just started working with me, and I'm very keen to give this strategy a go. I know that I personally find it so helpful to know that I'm accountable to someone other than myself when I am.
Speaker 2: Trying to plow through hard, deep work.
Speaker 1: How I Work is produced by Inventim with production support from Dead Set Studios.
Speaker 2: The producer for this episode was.
Speaker 1: Liam Riordan and thank you tomt Nimba, who the audio mix for every episode and makes everything sound so much better than it would have otherwise.
Speaker 2: See you next time.