Speaker 1: In December twenty fourteen, a lone gunman held eighteen people hostage in a cafe in Sydney, and, like anyone watching the sixteen hour standoff unfold was absolutely devastating for journalists and TV host Melissa Doyle. But despite the heartache and the terror, Melissa didn't collapse into despair or break down into a torrent of tears because she knew she had a job to do. Mel is the poster woman for professionalism, whether it's remaining composed even when covering traumatic events on the news, or continuing to carefully critique her work decades into her career, but naturally, her close contact with the extremes of the human experience has fundamentally changed the way she works. My name is doctor Emanthey. I'm an organizational psychologist and the founder of behavioral science consultancy Inventium. And this is how I work A show about how to help you do your best work. Mel recently released her latest book called fifteen Seconds of Brave, where she writes about some of the most resilient and inspiring people that she has met during her career. And I wanted to know how writing a book about extreme bravery had changed her and the way she approaches her life and work.
Speaker 2: I think I've always, just as a journalist, been drawn to those types of stories of people that have done extraordinary things and shown courage and bravery and the strength of the human spirit. We never fully recognize what we're capable of until our back is up against the walls. So they're the stories that I've always loved to tell more than anything. So I think over the course of my career, I've been naturally drawn to those sort of people events, and then this book just felt like the comp nation of that another way to tell it. So I feel like I've absorbed a little bit from everybody over thirty plus years of doing stories like this. You know, you sort of you meet somebody and take a little tiny bit, and I think every single story has changed me. Every person has changed me that I've ever encountered.
Speaker 1: I imagine that it must be quite useful for keeping things in perspective. Like I know, I'm sort of going through a minor stress at work this week, but it feels really major and i feel like I'm losing perspective. But I'd love to know for you, given you do encounter these incredibly extreme stories and situations just through your work. How that impacts on I guess how how you see, you know, problems and challenges when they arise in your own life.
Speaker 2: Definitely, my entire career has given me perspective. You know, I've stood in floods and bushfires, and you know, I've seen I've seen the worst of mother nature and at those times, I've seen the best of human nature. And that's all always a really important perspective. So yes, it certainly does remind me, if ever I'm having a wobbly moment or a bad day, to bring that perspective back. But I also think it's really important to never compare. I don't think it's about saying someone's problem or somebody's challenge is bigger or different to somebody else's. I think it's really important to acknowledge that when it's yours and you're in it, you're in it, and whether someone's going through something bigger or different is actually irrelevant to how you're feeling at that time. So for me particularly, this book was more about little tips, little bits of wisdom that I could sort of harness from somebody who had been through something significant and what they could teach us. So then the perspective for a reader is that notion of, well, if I'm going through this, you know what feels big. But in the scheme of the world is fairly small, and someone has gone through something that is so extraordinary, I can't even begin to them. What did they learn? And if they could get through that, then maybe I can get through this.
Speaker 1: What's it like for you? Like, I'd love to hear an example where you know, there's been a stressor in your life, and how does that work in the life of Meldoyle When you've got all these different stories that that you've seen and that you've covered through your career, and you're in the middle of your own stressor, Like, what's that thought process or the sort of practical strategies that you go to to help yourself move through those difficult times.
Speaker 2: I try to break it down. I liken it too. I'm a four wheel drive stuck in the mud and my wheels are spinning in the bog and I can't actually get a grip. And in my mind, if I have that analogy, it sort of just centers me and I'm okay, what do I do? What do I do? Let's just shut the engine off for a minute, Let's look at the situation. What can we do? So I you know, for me, I get a bit overwhelmed sometimes just by the sheer enormity of all the things I take on my own worst enemy completely and I fully recognize that, but I can't change it, unfortunately, and every now and then I just get a little bit overwhelmed by what's on. So for me, I've always broken it down. I get myself to the following weekend. I look at the five days in front of me and go, Okay, what have I got to get through? What have I got to do? What's important? What can I drop off the list? What do I need to do first? I'm a big list maker. I have to do lists everywhere. I have post it notes everywhere. I'm constantly putting lines through things. But yeah, just I think bringing it back to Okay, what have I got to do first? What has to be done right now today? What can I handle tomorrow? What's my daughter taught me this fabulous saying of you know, that's future Melissa's problem. So I try to remind myself that, Okay, that can wait till next week when things are a little quieter. Let's deal with what we've got to deal with today.
Speaker 1: Talk me through your to do list process or processes.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's a total shambles. So it's a big jotting pad. There's a couple on the go, which is really bad because then sometimes I double up and I can't remember what's where. So look, I will admit I'm pretty shocking. I've got it to do list on a notepad. I've got it to do list on my phone. I love post it notes to remind me. It's like my prior. If it makes it to a post it note, it really has to happen straight away today. But I just have to write everything down. And I feel like that's my way of if I take it out of my brain and put it on a piece of paper, I've cleared the files up in my head to fit other things in. So yeah, and my gosh, there's nothing more satisfying than putting a big fat line through something on your to do list that you've done. I actually really love that feeling and then starting a new page. So yeah, every now and then I sit down and have what I call a life ad mid morning where I do all of those really boring nitty gritty things that I have this really shocking habit of putting off as long as possible. So sometimes I just make a good cup of coffee, bite the bullet, and go, ok, I'm into the whole lot today and get it all done and dusted. So yeah, it's kind of satisfying.
Speaker 1: So travel has been a huge part of your life as a journalist and as a presenter. What are some of the best travel hacks or routines that you've developed that have served you really well.
Speaker 2: As soon as I get on the plane, I'm mentally in the time zone of where I'm going, so I'll change my watch instantly before we even take off. I find it. Look, I'll be honest. It depends if you're international. It really depends where you sit in the plane. I'll be perfectly honest. And when I get to sit up the good fancy end. When I've done a work trip, I actually look at that as a gift and I make the most of it. And so I will structure a bit of time at the beginning to get some work done. But then I will also look at it as a little mini break and Okay, I'm going to binge watch some fabulous movies, and I'm actually going to enjoy this quiet time without the phone and make the most of it. Because more often than not, when we would travel with Sunday Night, we hit the ground running. We'd land in another country and you get all the gear and literally just go straight into it. So I learned that I would have to make the most of that time if I could on a plane. But yeah, there's many times where you know, you don't always get to do that because there's a lot of work to be done. There's loads of research. I might be heading off to do an interview somewhere, and I'm a little bit of a last minute kind of person. So sometimes I'll say to myself, Oh, I've got to research a particular person for an interview, and I know that I've got a seventeen hour flight to get there, so I get all my notes ready and then go great the flight. That's it, seventeen hours of full on research and get it done there. So it just depends what I'm doing and where I'm going and what I need to do in that time. But it's a really good chunk of time where no one disturbs you. So I don't know I feel like sometimes an hour on a plane is kind of equivalent to two hours anywhere else as far as achieving things.
Speaker 1: Now, a large part of your job has involved interviewing people, and you've interviewed major stars from like Tom Cruise and Katie Perry to people that have just gone through, you know, the most amazing and also harrowing situations. What's your approach in those first few minutes to building report and trust with someone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely, the first few minutes can make or break an interview. It's certainly a case of ensuring that you start off with something gentle and make sure that they're relaxed. And it very much is dependent on the topic. Obviously, if it's a celebrity chat, it's quite a different feel to if it's an interview like I did for my book where someone's recounting their trauma. But I think if I've had if I've had the chance to meet them beforehand and I've had conversation with them before the interview, it's definitely ensuring that I have their trust. That's the most important thing, which is very different from a celebrity interview that you know, like the scene out of you know, was it notting Hill where they rock up and do the horse and hound, and it's kind of, you know, one of those interviews where everyone's turning through when you've got ten minutes. They're very different, you know, you kind of rock up, do your questions get out. But I think to do an interview where it's a Sunday night situation or it's a book situation. You know, I've usually had some communication in advance and then just ensuring that they there at ease, you know. But yeah, so for me, it's my research is my biggest thing. I just will research, research, research, to the point where I feel like I know everything about the person or the event and what's going to happen. And I can almost tell you their answers that I know where they're going. And then it's sort of my I almost like I put that into one side of my brain and then I just go with the flow of where we're going. And if the interview goes down an entirely different path, that's even better.
Speaker 1: I want to dig into a few of those things. So let's first dive into those first few minutes. So you said, you know, maybe you'll start off with a kind of easier question or something to ease them into it, or even just.
Speaker 2: A totally different I interviewed Serena Williams the other day so quickly doing all my research, and I noticed that on her Instagram hand or she describes herself as mother of Olympia, and so I thought perfect. So the first question was asking about her daughter, and she just beamed, and she was just relaxed, and she was happy, and she was clearly talking about something that she was entirely in love with and passionate about, and that just I think breaks the ice and settles her in and then we can go into other areas and naturally follow the path. But yeah, it's just that having that nice. It's like when you meet someone, isn't It's the same as a conversation. You're hardly going to walk up to someone and just drill down to the heart of it instantly. It's always Hi, how are you? What a beautiful day? Love what you're wearing? You know, are you here walking your dog? Whatever it might be. But I just think it's that it's polite to do it that way.
Speaker 1: It does make sense. Now you mentioned the importance of listening to do a good interview, and you know, I think everyone that's listening to this interview, I'm sure like there's really no jobs that I can think of where being a better listener is not going to help you immensely. I would imagine for you, a lot of it is just completely unconscious and ingrained in terms of how you listen. But if you were to unpack it, if you were to teach someone what you're doing to really really listen to what the person that you're interviewing or that you're talking to is saying, how would you describe that? What are the things that you're doing.
Speaker 2: That's probably one of the hardest questions I think I've ever been asked. Yeah, I think it is intently listening to what they're saying and how they're saying it, and also reading between the lines everything from a person's body language to how they react to a particular question. So I'm trying to think of some examples. I remember many years ago interviewing Bernard Tomic after he had that Wimbledon you know, tantrum, and he was one of the most hated men in the country, and we jumped on a plane flew to Miami to interview him, and it was straight after all of this had just happened, and he was just so defensive, you know, he was just instantly in that I'm atomic and I'm defensive and this is who I am, and I don't care what you all think, and blah blah blah. And I conducted the interview and went along and almost you just have to let somebody say what they want to say. You know, if someone's going to sit down in front of a journalist, they've usually got a reason that they want to do it. So I think very much in the beginning, it's like, all right, well, here are the questions that I know that you want to hear us, so that you can say what it is that you want to say. And then when all of that's out of the way, is my chance to then actually take a deeper dive and peel back those layers and ask him a little bit more about why and how and watching his reaction. And I think I use that interview as an example because halfway through I had my laptop ready to go and I had a clip on there of an interview that he had done when he was about ten, talking about the famous tennis player that he wanted to beat. He wanted to be the best in the world and his dreams and hopes of tennis. So I played that to him. Everything about him changed his body language, his emotions, his demeanor, the whole lot. It absolutely stopped him in his tracks. And first of all, I didn't even have to ask him anything. It was just you know, obviously with a television camera, it's quite different to an interview that you're doing where people can't see us, but having the camera on him to watch his face and how he reacted to seeing himself talking about his hopes and dreams as a tennis player, and then just really gently letting him talk about it, and it was a fascinating I felt like we could just got two totally different people, you know, the sort of the blustery ego at the beginning, and then there was a glimpse of the real him deep down, who was still a little boy in so many ways. So I think it's just very gently following along and seeing where they go and hopefully having a moment where you do see a little bit of vulnerability, or you know, asking a question where someone actually rolls their head, you know, roles laughing, and you see their real self. I guess, rather than necessarily the public persona that's been so carefully crafted. It's always really hard when you interview somebody who's had a lot of media training. And it's funny. I always say, when anyone else asks me about it, yes, by all means, get media training. It's fantastic, but not too much, you know, not to the point where you're not necessarily authentic anymore, or you're saying the lines that you think people want to hear, Because I think that's really quite apparent when somebody is this perfectly crafted persona and I see politicians you often see and I think, oh my gosh, I just want you to kill yourself laughing or say something, you know, just go off the cuff. So yeah, just following along and seeing where it goes.
Speaker 1: We will be back with Melson talking about what the shift was like from being in one of the highest profile jobs in media as the co host of breakfast show Sunrise to taking a step back from that intense spotlight. If you're looking for more tips to improve the way that you work, I write a short fortnightly newsletter that contains three cool things that I've discovered that helped me work better, ranging from software and gadgets that I'm loving through to interesting research findings. You can sign up for that at Howiwork dot cod That's how I work dot co. I would love to know how your life, in particularly your work life, has changed from going from having such a high profile job in the like this massive spotlight when you were doing Sunrise for I think like about fifteen years. I think all that for you you did it for to still being a presence on our screens and our radio but not under that intense spotlight. How has that shift been for you?
Speaker 2: Do you know when I was doing Sunrise and when I've done any more high profile roles. I wouldn't say that I'm not aware of it, because of course I am, but I don't. It doesn't dominate the way I go about what I do. I just I've always felt you cannot live your life and you cannot live your job, your career. I couldn't with thinking every second of the day that people were scrutinizing, analyzing, watching they were but that didn't fill my thoughts, makes sense, So you know, I would go about life normally. I would do things the way that I normally would. I would conduct myself in the way that I normally would. I've always looked at it that, you know, I've had an extraordinary job, but it's a job, but a job that came with a profile. So yes, there was a few extra elements that that brought, But at the end of the day, it was still a job that I wanted to do to the best of my ability, and whether it was with people watching or not was sometimes even it was irrelevant. You know, I'm that person that no one's ever put more pressure on me than I put on myself every day. I turn up on time every day, I want to do my absolute best. I would judge my stories, sometimes quite harshly, you know. I feel like I was the first one to analyze how I did an interview or how I told a story, or when I did that day, whether I think I did it to the best of my ability. I did it with decency and respect and kindness and honesty in all of those factors. So yeah, they motivated me irrespective of having this light on me. So yeah, I don't think that's changed now that I'm It's a little less intense, but I still think I'm motivated by the same things. I still conduct myself the same way, I still have the same standards that I hold myself to, So yeah, I hope that that's never actually clouded my thinking. Look, I won't take the bins out in my pajamas, I'll be honest. But but you know, otherwise, it really hasn't. It hasn't dominated who I am and what I do and yeah, where I go.
Speaker 1: How do you decide how much to share of yourself as a public figure and what to keep private?
Speaker 2: Sharing myself was always okay. I was very mindful when my children were younger, particularly teenagers and my husband. I feel like keeping my family. Look, everyone knows my kids, they've grown up, they've seen me pregnant on television. You know. I definitely shared huge parts of my life. But then every now and then I'd sort of just pull back, And you know, I'm not one to do family social posts all the time, or if it's my wedding anniversary, you know, sometimes I might pop a photo up, but I don't feel the need to always do it. I don't have to share everything with people. But I think there's been certain parts that I haven't been able to hide. You know, I can remember the very first time I cried on television, and I was mortified because it just felt so unprofessional. But then I realized it, it's just who I am. I'm a crier, I'm an emotional person. And I also am really grateful that I can still feel enough that I have that empathy and that I cry the day that I don't. I feel like if I've become that hardened by my job, it's probably time to do something else. So I feel a little bit, like you know, viewers have been. I've been so lucky that, you know, people say hello in the street all the time as though they know me, and they do, and I feel that's been such a privilege and that's afforded me the jobs that I've had. And it kind of goes both ways. So for me personally, there's probably not much that people don't know, and I'm okay with that. Don't I don't try to hide it. I think we're all, you know, we're all pretty similar and normal, flawed human beings, and yeah, I'm okay with it.
Speaker 1: I remember I interviewed Sandra Sully on How I Work quite a few years ago, and I was talking with her about feedback and how she sort of thinks about her own performance, you know, as a news reader. And I was struck by the fact that she said she will still watch herself back and critique herself even now, like you know, thirty years into the role. I'm wondering for you. There's obviously so much external feedback that you receive, but internally, how how do you continue to grow? And I guess how do you you critique yourself? You know, in a way that works for you and does grow you.
Speaker 2: Did I do a good job? Did I care for the person that I interviewed? Did I tell the story to the best of my ability? Was I true to them? Was I true to the circumstances I'm you know, if I'm covering an event that's happening, if I'm doing something like my gosh, I remember when I was covering the Linked Cafe siege and the sense of responsibility I felt when I was doing that to people watching at home, to the families of the hostages. It was so mindful that the television might have been on in the cafe for all I knew, and man Monus could have been watching, and I wasn't going to give anything away that would indicate any of the police presents around you know, I was just so mindful of every single word that came out of my mouth. And so sometimes when I've done a story or I've covered breaking news, it's me analyzing did I do it? Did I take my responsibility carefully? Did I do it properly? Did I treat it with respect and dignity? Was I fair? Was I balanced? You know, I've as a journalist where essentially, you know, sitting on the fence is what we do. I'm not a commentator, so I need to be unbiased. I need to properly tell a story. So yeah, I'm always the first to scrutinize my work. My book I've just written. I ran every single word and every story past each of my subjects because I'm sharing their stories and I wanted to know that they were okay with it, and that was probably my biggest driver in that that they were comfortable. And look, I could probably read over it a hundred more times and find things that I'd want to change or words that I'd want to tinker around with, But essentially it's asking myself, did I do it well? Did I do it properly? And am I comfortable in what I did today?
Speaker 1: With something like covering the Link Cafe siege, and I mean I was a viewer, but I feel like, gosh, my memories of that are so clear. I would love to know for you, how do you manage your emotional state when you've got such an important job to do and you're thinking about every word that's coming out of your mouth. I can't even imagine what the emotions were like for you.
Speaker 2: I think the primary driver is remembering I have a job to do at that moment in time. I have news to deliver. I've got to pass on information. There are people around both the city, the state, and the country who are terrified, like we all are. My job is to disseminate information. It's to tell the viewer what's happening, what's going on, say in a bushmire or flood, where is it at, what's the situation? Where can you seek help? What do you need to know about this moment in time? And that I think keeps me very focused. Knowing I have a purpose is a big help. I can all almost It's almost like I can hold it together while I'm while I'm in that zone, and then when I'm off air and I come home all full apart and that's okay, I'm allowed. I'm allowed to then. But at that moment in time, you know, I have a job to do, and I think the word purpose that's what keeps me going Because people are relying on the information that we're passing on. It's really important. So yeah, you sort of go into this, I guess this professional zone, and yeah, park the tears for when I get home.
Speaker 1: I imagine, in terms of where you're at in your career now, you would get asked to be a mentor to many people. And I'm sure that you have given a lot of advice. What advice do you find yourself giving again and again and again.
Speaker 2: I think for me, the most important thing is recognizing who you are, because and I say this to my kids, we're all cogs in a wheel, but we're all we're all vital, but we're all a little bit different. We all have something else, something different to bring. And I remember, you know, in my early days as a journalist and watching so many extraordinary women who I admired and thought, I just want to grow up and be like you, and one day recognizing I never would be like them. I can only ever be who I am. So it's a case of I think actually looking at yourself and working out what are my values, what is important to me? Who am I that's different to everybody else in my industry? What do I bring that makes me me, that makes me you know, different, special, whatever? And any industry. I think this applies to you. Know, what is your role and what makes you that a little bit different to somebody else and owning it? You know, I when I mentioned that the first time I cried on air, and I was mortified, and then I thought, but that's who I am, So that's okay. I'm not going to pretend to be one of those really cool, calm kids that doesn't shed a tear and that can hold it all together. You know, that's just not who I am. So that's all right.
Speaker 1: On the flip side, what are some of the best pieces of advice that have been given to you that have really stuck.
Speaker 2: My husband taught me control the controllable best motto ever and I really and look, you can apply it in everything from sitting in peak hour traffic to stuff happening in life. But I do, I try really hard to just if I can't change it, if there's nothing I can do about it, I might just have to let that go or park that, and I hope you don't mind me swearing here, But okay, my other one is just shit happens. You know. Sometimes shit happens and you've got to deal with it, and it might be awful and it might not be what you want. I'm sorry to keep bringing it, but do I actually mean to bring it back to the book. But this is kind of where my headspace is at the moment. One of the women I interview in a Cat is the mom of a little boy who was born with a terminal illness and he's still alive to this day and he's extraordinary. But she talks about first of all, acceptance. It is what it is. You know. You can't waste energy and time sitting in a situation wishing it was something different, because that's just a waste. So except that it is what it is, and then what are you going to do about it? How do you move forward? And I think having the power to control how you feel about something moving forward and what you can actually do about it is really really strong. So yeah, I try very hard to put my energy into what I can change and alter and like go all the things that I can't easier said than done.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, well, I always feel like quite nervous when I'm interviewing someone who is who does this for their career.
Speaker 2: You're fantastic. It's a conversation.
Speaker 1: I was going to ask it also, given that you're probably doing a billion interviews a week on publicity for your new book, I would love to get feedback from you. What can I improves and what sort of keep doing nothing. I know you're fantastic.
Speaker 2: I mean you've done your research, and I've always found for me, if I've done my research, that's my confidence. You know. The times the only times I would get really nervous was if I was unprepared, if I hadn't made my notes, read everything I possibly could, if I didn't know just about everything I could about the person or the subject that I was covering. So clearly you've done that, and also big credit to your producer Liam. But it's a conversation. I always think the best interviews are simply a conversation, and the person that's on the other side doesn't feel like someone's throwing questions their way, you know, it's like we may as well be sitting together on account with a cup of tea and just having a chat. I mean, that's essentially what it is. So I think they're the nicest and the best interviews because you get a rapport with somebody and you just they feel comfortable. So hey, on this side of it, I mean, I'd much rather be doing what you're doing. It's so much easier. Trust me, I hate having to answer the questions. I'd rather ask them. But you've made me feel very comfortable and definitely being able to see your gorgeous smiling face help So yeah, it's just a lovely conversation. And I think too, You've got me thinking about a few things, which is really good. I kind of had a moment where I'm like, oh, oh, I got to put some thought into this one.
Speaker 1: Make you much. Thanks a well. Finally, for people that want to get their hands on a copy of fifteen Seconds of Brave, your new book, and connect with you in other ways, what is the best way for people to do that?
Speaker 2: Oh, I guess socials. Fifteen Seconds of Brave as a via is out from Penguin. It's available in all good and bad bookshops. I even did the audio version, which was very fun. I've never done that before, but like I was reading my kids a story again. So yeah, there's lots of ways. I just think it's all about connecting. It's exactly what you're doing, which is connecting with people telling stories. We do that as humans. We have from the beginning of time, sitting around campfires. You know. I think it's what separates us from other beings on this earth, and I'm sure they probably connect to in different ways. But we share stories with one another, I think, inspiring one another. And you know, the first thing you do when you've had a bad day, what do you do? You run your best girlfriend and have a good vent. It's just who we are. So I think, Yeah, more power to you for doing conversations like this and gathering little bits of wisdom and wise words from people, and yeah, sharing different stories. So it's been a pleasure. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for coming on the show. Mel. I loved the motto that Mel's husband gave her of control the controllable. I'd heard it before, but you know when you rehear a phrase at a time when you really need it, Well, that's what I felt like when I did this interview with Mal a few weeks ago. I was in the middle of a really stressful week at work, and hearing that advice made me double down on what I could control and try not to focus so much on the things that I couldn't. Thank you for sharing part of your day with me by listening to How I Work. If you're keen for more tips on how to work better, connect with me via LinkedIn or Instagram. I'm very easy to find. Just search for Amantha Imba. How I Work was recorded on the traditional land of the Warrenery people, part of the cool And Nation. I am so grateful for being able to work and live on this beautiful land, and I want to pay my respects to elder's past, present and emerging. How I Work is produced by Inventium with production support from Dead Set Studios. The producer for this episode was Liam Riordan, and thank you to Martin Nimba who did the audio mix and makes everything sound better than it would have otherwise.