Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud yr the Order, Kerney Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money. She's on the Money.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money the podcast and millennials who want financial freedom. Today, my friends, it is Friday again, which means it is time to get our team together and celebrate you ow incredible. She's on the Money community. Today, we're gonna be sharing our favorite money wins or jesseic Gric she is. I'm going to be sharing Bexbroke tips because she is a way today and we'll be helping to answer a juicy money dilemma, which this week is all about job hopping and whether it's safe to do so with the current job market, I feel like you've got a lot to say about this, Jessica. We're also going to be unpacking something that you slid into our DMS about this week. We're debating whether it is ethical to lie on your rental application to increase your chances of securing a property, which I also think given you worked in recruitment and then you worked in real estate, You're gonna be spicy today, Miss Jessic Breech.
Speaker 4: We you have got thoughts on everything.
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 2: Well tell me first thought of the week. How has your week been?
Speaker 4: It's so good? Guess what what.
Speaker 3: We're in yours?
Speaker 4: How is that not? Right? This second? We're pre recording because I think because we're not idiots when this dropped, so we will be on a plane.
Speaker 2: We're gonna been flying to New York while you're listening to this so excited, I don't hold on hold on the upgrade, Jessic Goricci.
Speaker 4: Guys, we flew business.
Speaker 2: We're flying business thanks to our friends at Virgin and Velocity. They have helped us hack our points, so we have flown business class.
Speaker 4: The whole team were over like two weeks ago when I flew on my first business class flight ever.
Speaker 2: Now you're doing your first international business class. Who are you? I am dying of excitement if you are a woman with really hard expectations to meet moving forward.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, am I ever? I'm so palmmed. We're gonna have the best time. It's gonna be like a big bestie sleepover. We're gonna have so much fun.
Speaker 2: We're obviously going to share it all on socials. So if you're one of those people that voted no when Jess said should we share more of our personal lives on social media, not sorry, mute us for a week, because we will be sharing a lot of it and that's I think, really really fun. But yeah, I feel like we've had a really busy week, apart from the fact that flew to New York. Because I swear all of us, even though this wasn't what we tried to do, we've been trying to pack in like a five day week into three days so that we can get everything done because we flew out on Thursday at lunchtime. So I feel like that has been a lot.
Speaker 4: It's been chaos, and you've had heaps of stuff from your book and.
Speaker 2: Just lots and lots of book pr lots of Like. We did a really cool recording this week with AGL. I did a whole video series with them, which I'm really excited about, which is kind of like tips and tricks on how to save money on energy, which I think aligns perfectly to our community. And then yeah, there's just been a lot this week. And I swear I don't know it yet because we're not on the flight yet, but I'm pretty sure that business class life flat seat is going to get the biggest workout of its life.
Speaker 4: I'm just going to sleep for all twenty two hours.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like, oh look at you, and we'll be like we're sitting next to each other. I muscle song.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Literally, I was gonna say, I can't wait for someone's gonna have a mustache drawn on their face or something. I don't know what's gonna happen, but it's gonna be funny.
Speaker 2: Oh I love it. I'm so so excited. All right, Well, let's jump straight into it, Jess. I want to hear what have been our community money wins this week.
Speaker 4: My first money win this week comes from Sarah, who said I found out Ikia off us spare parts for free. I bought a second hand dining table for thirty dollars which was missing a very important bolt, and I ordered a replacement bolt free of charge thanks to Ikea. I made a TikTok about this a while ago.
Speaker 2: Maybe I didn't watch your TikTok Out's all right, that's fine about that.
Speaker 4: We love a supportive queen. What you watch and save so many that you've probably just forgotten?
Speaker 2: I actually just can I tell the truth on here?
Speaker 4: Is that not?
Speaker 2: Okay? Sometimes I don't watch your videos because like I don't have time. Also, I've been with you twenty four seven, so I like save them. I send them to the sheese on the money account. I like them and I comment on them even though I haven't watched them.
Speaker 4: But we love a supportive question just like get that engagement. I appreciate it. But it's such a good little hack. You can do it on the website. I did the same thing when I bought a couch. It was like two pieces that were not connected and.
Speaker 2: I had no idea.
Speaker 4: They post stood out to you don't even have to go pick it up. Oh gosh, that's actually a money win, huge money win. Next I've got one from Sophie who said I discovered that I could claim my psychology sessions on my private health this week. I know private health insurance is absolutely a privilege, but I'd be so lost without it.
Speaker 2: Obviously a privileged, yes, but for a lot of people, especially if you see a regular psychologist or psychiatrist, or even if you have regular physio appointments, it's honestly worth sitting down doing the maths and working out if paying a monthly private health fee is going to work out for you. There's obviously lots of other features and benefits, but I'm in the circumstance where it just makes sense for me to have private health, Like I end up saving so much money each year because of it. But then I've also got friends that are like, I am in fit and perfect health, Victoria, this is yeah. You know, I'm in my like thirties now and I'm pregnant. So I think it's just make your own decision. But also it can actually be a bit of a money win, especially if you're finding that your psych appointments are really at it up or like something that's getting overwhelming, and check your inclusions.
Speaker 4: I just honestly would never have thought to look for mental health stuff on my private health, which is dumb of me.
Speaker 2: No, it's not.
Speaker 4: Thank you for the reminder, Sophie. Next, I've got a money win from Brianna, who said I locked into my shop back account and I found one hundred bucks cash sitting in there from all purchases six months ago. Slay love that big, very many. If you want ten dollars the code SotM, we'll pop that straight in your shop.
Speaker 2: Back account exactly genius.
Speaker 4: Next, I've got a money win from me who said I went to my local Bunnings. Turns out they've closed and Kohala now uses the warehouse for their factory seconds. I scored a four hundred and fifty dollars office chair for one hundred dollars, basically brand new.
Speaker 2: I have questions, Jessica about impulse spending. Did you go to Bunnings to buy plants and then buy an office chair instead?
Speaker 4: I mean it's irrelevant. It's a relevant question. Motion needed an office chair. It's relatable in which case, huge money in in the other case, why were you looking at Buttings? True that. Next, I've got a win from Stacy who said I looked up that This Girl can events in my area. I'll be doing a beginner's rowing lesson on Wednesday for free and a self defense class next Monday for only five dollars extra bonus. I found five dollars on the ground yesterday, so I'm using that to pay for the self defense class.
Speaker 2: Cute. I love this very fun.
Speaker 4: This Girl County is a great It was a little initiative, yeah, which is really I think it's based around encouraging women intellect sports and athletic type things. So and self defense and self defense which I think jounting such a good one. And then lucky last, I have a money win from Britt, who said, not really a money win, but I closed two of my buy now, pay later accounts by staying on track with my budget and spending. I have been super mindful of my moods and feelings, as I tend to spend a lot when I am stressed, tired, or bored. And Britt, that is totally a money win. That's a huge money I amazing.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 4: We're so proud of you. Is that all you've got, That's all I've got, That's all you've got?
Speaker 2: All Right? Well, I'm going to channel my best back energy and your bb my bb yep, and I'm going to bring you some community broke tips.
Speaker 4: Oh I'm excited.
Speaker 2: I forgot to ask back for her broke tips. So next time she's on the show, I'm going to make her do too.
Speaker 4: Love it.
Speaker 2: So no pressure, all right, Jess. This first broke tip it comes from Lee. They say last year, I wasn't working full time and couldn't afford a gym membership, so instead I did thirty day trials at all the different gyms in my area. A lot of them were free or really cheap. I did it for twelve whole months, and I saved a lot of money and did a lot of different type of exercises that I didn't think i'd ever enjoy.
Speaker 4: I actually highly rate her. That's so smart, totally ethical because the trial the trial totally and she's right. There's like so many different things that you can do. I think about like even yoga classes. All my pilates place they do like a really cheap like your first two weeks is twenty dollars or something. She's so cheap genies just trial that just tape around.
Speaker 2: I think that's so smart at what point, Jess, do you think that Lee could go back to a certain gym with a different email address sign up?
Speaker 4: I reckon like twelve months.
Speaker 2: I reckonize once every time I reckon nine months in you could then go and be like, oh, I was thinking about this like star a heep of months ago. Now I'm just I'm gonna try and get back until let me do the trial see what it's like, because surely after nine months they haven't remembered your face.
Speaker 4: That's stay would eat so many people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yep, genius. I love that all right. So the second broke tip we have this week is from Lindsay. Lindsay says, I have started cleaning out my fridge every Sunday. Rather than letting fresh produce rot I either cook it up in a stir fry that night, genius, or just I chop it up and I freeze it. I'll also go through my cupboard and my freezer to see what I have and plan my meals for the rest of the week. You'll be surprised at how much you can save on groceries when you make more of the food you have and don't just let.
Speaker 1: It go bad.
Speaker 4: I love a frozen like anything like if your meat expires in two days, step in the freezer. No it doesn't, Like I think that is so smart. Chop up your garlic or your veggies. Can you put them in a little soup and freeze the soup.
Speaker 2: I think it's so smart. When I cook, I often double the recipes. So if I'm making like a pasta sauce or something, I'll double it, and later I feel like a genius because I have double the stuff and I can be like, ah, well, Steve, you could just get out that pasta sauce I made and defrust it. Because I'm a really good wife.
Speaker 4: I did all of this hard.
Speaker 2: I did this hard work. And also I do love everything sturfry not gonna lie a door as a sturfry that just is full of everything.
Speaker 4: And sometimes you find something like if you're like, oh, I just have these random like this odd vegetable that I'd normally never put in a sturfry, but it's gonna go about and not throw it in, and then you realize it's actually delicious.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you do it all the time and then you buy more of that. All right, let's go to a really quick break on the flip side. We're going to be talking about job hopping and whether it's safe to do that in the current market. We're then going to be answering a question that you slid into our DMS about, and it's whether you can lie on your rental application to increase your chances of securing a property. So do not go anywhere, my friends.
Speaker 4: Welcome back everybody. Let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 2: Hi. There, have you got a money dilemma you just can't solve? The She's on the Money team is here to help. Every week we tackle your dilemmas, both big and small, to answer your most burning money, career and life questions. To get involved, simply head to our website and leave us a short voice recording and you might just find yourself on the show. Now, let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 6: Hi, guys, I had a question regarding job hopping. So in the past two years, I've held two positions and I've just started a new one. So I usually keep my positions for about a year two year and a half and then I try to upscull and find a better job for better pay. Obviously, So from last year to this year, my pay has gone up by about thirty five to forty k I just want to know what this looks like to her potential employer and whether chasing money is really everything, but also keeping in mind the economy is not doing well, I would love to know your opinion. Thank you guys so much, love your podcast.
Speaker 4: Ah queen, pop Off, pop Off.
Speaker 2: Your income's gone up thirty five to forty thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: That's a huge I would leave my job too.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Literally, Ye, genius catcher, I have a nice day. Yeah, nice knowing you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm so sorry to see you go bye, kick you on the way out. I find that such a good question, especially in this economy, Jessica. Yeah, so first things first, I wish you had told me what areas working, because obviously some industries are more impacted than others. Like if you're talking about let's say, healthcare, that's universal, like regardless of the I guess economy, that's going to be a necessity. And obviously job hopping can be quite hard. It sounds like she's quite smart with it, because obviously she's a bit more planned than the average bear. And I'm assuming that you're interviewing for jobs and not quitting your job and then finding a new one. I feel like I've said this on the pod before, but like, it always pays to have a conversation. I can always say no, like if that job offers you a role, Jess, and you go, I'm not really keen on that you can do that. But it's always a good idea to have the conversation because you might learn that the grass is really greener where you order it, yeah, or maybe you get offered a job opportunity. If neither of those things are happening, you're getting experience interviewing, and that's a slagh like. I think all of those are really important. Do I think that job hopping is a bad thing. No, I don't. If you're job hopping to upskill, then that's great. I do think that there's a cap on it, though, Jess. So like, I think at some point you're not going to have those thirty five to forty thousand dollars increases every single time. Like, I can completely see how you might go from like sixty to like ninety, but I feel like once you get to like ninety, it's much harder to get one hundred and one hundred and ten and so on and so forth. Like these things don't grow in the same ways as they might at the start of your career. So I totally see where you're going. I also think that you need to be a little bit more I guess mindful when job hopping, Like are you leaving an opportunity where you're like, look, I can see the grass is greener on the other side and it's more expensive, But are you moving on over to another job where you're starting from scratch and you actually could have had more career progression and experience if you've stayed as a certain location longer. Like I mean, I look at you, Jess, for example, because like you're an employee, and I go, well, I don't know if you would have been able to hop into the role that you have, But you got the role that you have because of the experience and how long you work with cheese on the money and like how I knew your capability was there. But if you'd applied for that having not had the experience, I don't know if it would have worked. So I think it just it really depends what are your thoughts. I think that once every twelve months is totally fine. Like I wouldn't consider that frequent job hopping. I know that by older standards that probably you know, when people like you stayed a job for twenty years, ah, that would be really frequent. Once a year I don't think is the worst. I completely agree that.
Speaker 4: I think you'll hit a cap where it perhaps is not as appealing because you're not having such a significant change in income as a result of the job hop But I mean from like a recruitment perspective, I think if you can explain that change, I say, oh, I left job A because at job B I stepped into a role where I had an opportunity to manage a team. And I left job B because when I went to job C, I then also got to be involved in, you know, a different side of the business. I think if you can easily explain those things, once a year is definitely not the worst. But I do think, as you said, you'll stop seeing such significant changes in the amount of money that you receive. And as you said, there is value sometimes in staying in one company if that company is willing to invest in you, or if you find a really good company culture, because those companies are not as common as you like them to be. So I think that as long as you're weighing up what you're giving up against what you're gaining, and if it makes sense for you, I think that it's fine if you are, I guess, in a role which is more expendable. That's the other thing that it sounds like you would want a factor in, and it sounds like she is factoring that in. You know, if you are a really niche if you're like I draw pictures of animals in my job. That's my job and it's very specific, and there's only so many companies that would want you drawing those pictures of animals. Is it something that could be impacted by the economy potentially if there are companies winding back their budgets, maybe they've got less budget to offer for a new role. Maybe there's a higher risk of redundancy. You know, I don't know why is that example? That was an example?
Speaker 2: That was a great example. I just let you roll with it.
Speaker 4: I was like, this is fantastic. I was trying to think of something niche and nothing was coming to mind.
Speaker 2: Niche. It is if not niche illustrator, if you're an illustrated but only of animals that I was trying to think of something like Australian animals.
Speaker 4: Or is it like if you specialize in Australia or something. I don't know. I'm sure someone at home can think of a much better niche vise.
Speaker 2: I was thinking about all of that while you were.
Speaker 4: Attention to animal drawings.
Speaker 2: And I think as an employer, I will absolutely look at your resume and be like, oh, she was there for a year, she was there for a year, and they were there for another year.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: What I'm actually looking for is the progression in role, So like, if you write a good resume, you're going to be able to articulate to me the gained skills and experiences that you had in those roles and the increase in I guess responsibility in your next role. I'm also looking for gaps, so whether there was like three or four months between your last job and this job, that tells me a lot more than you just job hopping. So I think that there's a I guess a story that a resume tells, and when you're putting your resume together, you've got to think of that story, Like what am I putting in front of the employer, and what are they going to think of that? Like, you know, if I'm finishing in April, but I don't have another role until August, Like, are they going to question that gap? In my experience? I am, because I'm going to go, well, why was that? Like you know the major red flag is there?
Speaker 4: Unemployable?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like did you get fired after twelve months because it just wasn't working out? Or did you have to take leave because of you know, whatever was going on? And I think it's just they're reasonable questions to be asking. But do I think it is safe to job hop in the current market? Depends on your job and it also depends on what you're taking on. I don't think it is a bad thing, but I also think you need to be super aware that, yeah, there's going to be a cap on what you can earn.
Speaker 4: And what The other thing I would throw in there is what business are you hopping too? Because, for example, in an unstable economy, startup life can be higher risk for roles. You know, if it's a business that doesn't have a really stable cash flow or really stable customer base, those are the businesses that might struggle a bit more. Small businesses as well might feel the impacts of a potential recession or of economic disjointment more than a large corp would. And so it also depends, I guess, on where you're going to and what you're doing as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it also depends at what level you're performing. So you mentioned like redundancies before, and I was having this conversation the other day at my husband's B and F dinner with somebody and they were talking about like, oh, well, I have this grad job, and like, I'm really nervous because I've only worked here for three or four months. And at the end of the day they're talking. You know, there's whispers in the business about redundancy, and their immediate assumption was lasting first out. Yeah, and so like if you were last into the business, like they're going to kick you out the first And I was like, babe, like you work as a graduate, your salary is down here, they're going to actually keep you and probably get rid of the higher consultants, because that's more in corporate life, that's usually how it happens. They're not going to shoot themselves in the foot and get rid of the really cheap labor. But I think in some businesses that is true. In some businesses it's not. And I can't just sweepingly say, oh, well, if you're lasting, you're first out, like it's something that lots of people might say, but I think you need to just understand the environment and how that works. So there's like lots to it. Ultimately, No, I don't think it's a bad thing if you are calculated and researched.
Speaker 4: Yeah, completely agree.
Speaker 2: All right, miss Jess GRICI, we have a DM. Are you ready?
Speaker 4: I'm excited to talk about this ram.
Speaker 2: I know, I feel like today's episode was literally curated for your interests. All right, so a DM this week sounded identical to this. Yess, Hello, I have a community call out that relents to renting with a cat. It's kind of one of those am I the asshole situations. I'm applying for my dream job and it involves a short term relocation to Melbourne for training. I'll be there for about six or eight months, after which I would return back to Sydney. I have a six year old indoor princess. We're talking about a cat here because she's putting brackets. The cat emoji who is perfectly house trained. And while I know landlords can't refuse a pet application without a good reason, it is highly likely they'll give preference to somebody without a pet. I'm considering not declaring her on applications and just keeping her hidden from the landlord just so I can secure a place to live for the time frame. What would others recommend?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: This is so hard? Can I see both sides of the story.
Speaker 2: Let's start with our community questions then, and then we can overlay our opinion. Because we as in Jesse, Rici and I are both rented with Cats Team. So question number one, or we asked the community was if this was you, would you keep the cat a secret? Thirty nine percent of you said yep, they won't find out anyway, Like Ballsy, sixty one percent of you said no, I'd be nervous if the consequences, which is Jess and I. The next question we asked was have you missed out on a rental before because of pets? Forty one percent of you said yes and fifty nine percent of you said no. And then we said, if yes, would you consider hiding the pet next time? Fifty one percent of you said yes, which I think is you know you've been burned before. Then we said, if you or someone you know is a landlord, are applications without pets more favorable? Sixty one percent of you said, yep, absolutely, one hundred percent profer noo pets. Seeing I don't like people, Jessica.
Speaker 4: It's really hard, I think because as a current renter with two cats, you know, I would hate to think that that would impact an application for me because I know that I'm a great tenant, Like we have never ever missed a rent payment. We always leave the house in fantastic condition, like our listener, my cat's are really well trained.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: I have lived with people where the cats have caused damage. But then part of my brain says, well, that's what.
Speaker 2: Your bond is for.
Speaker 4: But I think it's tricky because you know, pets are for companionship, and I would hate to think that if someone was a really great tenant or applicant that they would be denied as a result of that. On the flip side of that, I can see as a landlord, you have a right to have your property respected and treated in the way that you want it to be treated. You know, if that is a hard and fast rule for you. If you said, I own this property and I really don't want to have pets in it. Maybe you have an allergy to cats, and you're like, I don't want to if I want to live back in in.
Speaker 2: Two years and have to replace the carpets because there's cats are in there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So like I kind of also understand how you know, as a landlord, you've invested your money and you do have a right to manage it in the way that you see fit. I feel like if it was me, if anything, if I was gonna be a bit dodgy, I would apply without listing the pet, and then as soon as I moved in submit a pet application. So that because I don't I don't think you can live there. I don't think you can live there without telling them. I think that's hard. I think it's rude. I think, like, what if you know, as well trained as your cat are, my cats have been sick before. Like, you can't control every variable. So I feel like, if anything, like if you really are stressing, if you're finding that you can't get a rental, particularly Victoria where we do have those laws that are in favor of the tenant regarding pets, I would say apply and then like move in and literally like that week, apply for a pet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't disagree with that. I think that, you know, the rental market is incredibly challenging, so I don't want to be like, don't do don't. Yes, I think that respect is actually a two way street. So if you're saying, hey, I'm considering lying to my landlord, okay, no worries.
Speaker 4: It makes me feel a bit icky.
Speaker 2: No, no, but like, would you be okay if your landlord lied to you about something? So why do you think that you get to lie and they don't? So I think that yeah, that's my answer is like I wouldn't lie.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think it's also very fair to be wary of pets, right because I have seen nightmare dogs. I seen nightmare cats, Like I had had past tense a friend who had a cat that would rip the hell out of the carpet. She'd just be like, Oh, he's just so funny, and I'd be like, what the heck, Like my cats would never do that. And I know you're exactly the same, Like we are psychos with our pets, Like we.
Speaker 4: Picked a house that was all floorboards, because we're like, well, then it's not an issue.
Speaker 2: I'm completely on that page. We like put so many more floorboards in the only place in my house that has carpet is my bedroom. Because I was like, okay, that's fine. But then also like I've gone to the extent of like I hate cat litter, hate it. I've had a cat lit as system plumbed into my house. Yeah I'm crazy, but how does your landlord know that you're getting a Victoria in a Jess or somebody else who doesn't care so much? So for me, when I was renting with pets, I put in a little pet resume, so I rode up. At the time, I only had Bailey, one cat, and I wrote him up a resume. I added some pictures because I do have a Tonkinese cat, so like he does look a little bit different and he's a little bit of a special boy, like he's a bit of a princess. So I added his little PRINCESSI photos, and then I just did a bio of like, hey, here's Bailey's health stats. This is what he gets up to during the day, just so you know, like we really don't like litter tracking. What we do is we vacuum three or four times a week because of that, and I think that that is what ultimately got us our last rental, because they had such clarity on who was moving in. Like I have always been an above and beyond person when it comes to applying for things, like if it was a job, like I would make sure that everything on my resume and cover letter was super tailored. I know not everyone is like that, and K you might go, well, I shouldn't have to do that. Don't then, like, I'm just trying to put myself ahead of the competition, if I'm being honest, And so I always had a bio on me, a bio on my husband at the time who I was moving in with, and a bio on the cat and am I was told by our real estate agent, that's why you got it, because they had immediate clarity on like this is Steve, this is Victoria, this is their cat Bailey, this is what this looks like. Yeah, and they were really happy with that. So I think that just the added level of transparency really helped our situation. Yeah, and I can put it on stories. We'll put our little cat resume up so that you guys can copy it. But it was lame, so lame. But I think that's what made them laugh because jess as I said, I like to be prepared every open for inspection. I went to I took my little folder of printed out applications, my printed out resumes, photo copies of my license and passports, so I could be like, hi, kin, so here's my pre prepared applications. Put me above and beyond everybody else. They actually put Bailey's resume on their fridge at work. That's so coy, and it had his little reference. So I had the last rental property manager that he lived in a property with, and I also put his bet.
Speaker 4: I feel it was that's actually a great It's not I feel like putting if you have rented with this cat somewhere else, I reckon having having a note on that a previous landlord or somebody who can say, oh, yeah, like the cat lived here. It was a total non issue. I think would go a very long way.
Speaker 2: Because there are cats that climb curtains, there are cats that climb windows and doors, and there are dogs that scratch the hell out of a back door to the point where it needs to be replaced. So I think we need to address the fact that those are the things that your landlord is concerned about, and being able to say, oh, by the way, Jess, this is the pet that would live here specifically might alleviate some of their concerns. So for me, I'm definitely in the camp of complete transparency because it's worked for me historically. But also that's why I needed to give you so much context and be like, yeah, it's worked for me historically, Jess. But also I have been one of those above and beyond people who like kind of did the crazy application because I did want the house. I remember when I went to the open for inspection for our last rental property before we bought, and there were like sixty people there. I left, there's no chance, yeah, Exac.
Speaker 4: And so I understand how it can be stressful for our listener, but I think, yeah, like I wouldn't go the full keep it a secret, like, I just don't think it'll work. And I think if you get busted, is that grounds potentially for you to be I think it definitely is ground which is to be kicked out. But I also just look at it and I go, you would expect your landlord and your real estate agent, do not lie to you, So why do you think it's okay to do it? In vice versa, like there might be a leak or something in the laundry and they're like, oh, they might not want the house because of that, let's just not tell them.
Speaker 2: That's not okay. So why is it okay for you to do it? I'm also a very black and white person, like in my head, there's a right and a wrong, and it's got me into a lot of trouble historic So what did everybody else think? Honestly, there were so many diverse responses. Yes, so first things first, someone said, we have no issues with animals renting our properties. It's more the people renting that destroy it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Someone else said I'll take a cat over a toddler any day.
Speaker 4: Honestly, super relevant. Yes, don't have a opposable thumbs, No, landa drawn on the wall.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: As someone who's about to have a baby and looking around her house going I think it needs babyproofing, I'm like, where do people keep crayons and stuff in the future, because I'm you know, if I leave crayons out, like, my cat's not going to draw on the wall. Yeah, you know, who's going to draw on the wall?
Speaker 4: Baby?
Speaker 2: Yep, bam. Anyway, next they said apply, then advise that you have a cat after the rental has been accepted, because they shouldn't be declining it anyway. Someone said controversial, but if there is carpet, you can't get that smell out. Sorry, ladies, I would disagree. This is a weird thing, yeah for me, if your cat on the well carpet. Yeah, But like Jess, do you walk into my house and smell my pets? I hope not. I hope it smells like domestos.
Speaker 4: I would argue that dogs, but I'm not a dog irness.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 4: If that's just because I have cat, I don't know.
Speaker 2: But also, like, look at my dog. She's technically one of those hyperalergenic dogs. She doesn't drop any fur. It means that we have to brush her all the damn time. But like that's very different to having a German shepherd who does drop further might get caught in the carpets, right, That's so true. Again, different horses for different courses. Someone said, I'd be super welcoming to renters with dogs cats know, due to allergies and other Landlord experiences.
Speaker 4: Can't people be allergic to dogs too?
Speaker 2: Totally?
Speaker 4: But interesting bias.
Speaker 2: Everyone gets an opinion. Someone else said, I know they can't legally refuse pets without a valid reason, but I've seen contracts once accepted that then say no pets. Someone said again, want to reiterate, I'd take pets over kids any day.
Speaker 4: They're really hammering that home.
Speaker 2: I see you. Someone said, in New Zealand, people can get a pet after moving into the rental and they don't have to tell their landlord.
Speaker 4: That's an interesting rule.
Speaker 2: What a conundrum. Someone said, try and see if you can get it first. If no luck after a set period, change your narrative to what lying about having a pet? Oh? I see, and then I've got two more. Someone said I wouldn't approve a dog as my IP is a flat. I think IP means investment property, which means there's not enough space. But I'd definitely approve someone with a cat, which makes sense.
Speaker 4: I think there's also the narrative or the assumption. And as someone who rents like I can admit that I have felt this way sometimes that all landlords are just so particular and they only want a really particular type of person and then their property, and it can feel really hard to if you don't fit that standard. Yeah, but there are some out there, as we're seeing in these comments, of people who don't mind, or who are maybe really reasonable and really level headed, and if you showed them the right you know, the pet resume and the references and all of those kinds of things, then maybe it would turn out totally fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then this last person that I'm going to read out says, I'm a landlord. It actually depends on the pet. I'm happy with pets like cats and small dogs in our small rental property. So again, I think that clarity situation where you go, hey, actually, this is my pet, this is what they act like, this is their behavior here, and maybe some references. I totally get that there are people out there that gon go Victoria, I shouldn't have to do that, or you shouldn't, but you know what, there are people out there who are doing it. And I can almost guarantee that if I one day become a landlord and I look at Jess's application that has I have one cat, and then Jess's application that has I have one cat, here's a whole heap of information about them. I am going to go with the more educated decision because it makes me feel more confident as somebody who's lasing out that property also tells me a fair bit about that person's I guess comment, commitment, personality. I'm like, wow, they really have gone above and beyond so as much as you shouldn't have to if there are other people out there doing it, the probability of you getting picked when honestly there's a better option on the table, Like I think, we do need to put in the effort, especially if we want to have our pet sleep with us, and that's what we all want. We want our little ferry friends. Yeah, true, true, All right, before I get all emotional about puppies and kittens and honestly looking at otto videos on TikTok, we need to go. It has been a wonderful Friday recap with you, Jessica. I'll see you guys on Monday, bright and early for pre recorded money diaries, because don't forget jess and I we're in New York. No, y'all, Yes, that's terrible. Goodbye off you guys.
Speaker 4: I'm trying to think of a song.
Speaker 5: The advice shared on Cheese on the Money is generally nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial.
Speaker 2: Advice tailored towards your needs.
Speaker 5: Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of Money shopa Pty Ltd ABN three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight AFSL four five one two eight nine