Speaker 1: Who doesn't love a great roast, chicken and salad bread roll for lunch. And as a matter of fact, Leanne I made this for my very own family this weekend. But there are so many bread rolls to choose from, and I've noticed that there are more and more growing varieties in supermarkets, so it can be really confusing to know which are better nutritionally. So today we're going to take a closer look at three very common bread rolls that you can find in supermarkets and give our review. I'm Susie Burrow and Emilian Wood, and as two of us j IS leading dieticians, we bring you the Nutrition Couch Product Review, a weekly chat on new products and old favorites that you can find in the supermarket. Now, Cleanne, I'll be completely transparent. I am a multi grain bread roll kind of girl, and when I get the bread rolls, actually take the middle out and put more protein and salad in. And I remember a dietician telling me that she thought it was terrible food waste to be doing that. Now I see what she's saying. You shouldn't throw away good food. But I think there's often people in the family who need the extra middle of the role and some people who don't. So I myself prefer less bread in the bread roll, but I do like a multi grain and that's my go to. What about you, guys, what do you pick up when you're having some cheeky chicken rolls on a weekend.
Speaker 2: Well, I definitely do eat the middle of it, but I will say, rather than wasting it, you could like take it out and make croutons with it.
Speaker 1: That is actually really smart.
Speaker 2: You could blend it up, put it in results. Yeah, some bread crumbs.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was looking at like some store made crousions because I was buying salad meats and they were so processed. I was like a bit horrified. So that is a really good idea. Actually, now I've got kids who eat the middle of the roll, so it's not a waste issue. But you're right, you know. I often think even stale bread, you can make great crumb with it, rather than buying panco which is quite processed. So that's another little good trick. If you do end up having leftover bread at the end of the week, hole me or multi grain, they're great kroutons and or bread crumbs. So don't throw anything away. People, particularly when food is costing a fortune, all right, Well these bread rolls, and I think Amy has helped us do this review.
Speaker 2: She has las shout out to Amy. She's moving on to big and better things, So thank you, Amy, You've been a legend. And she's found some good ones today. And two of these are our family favorites in here. Actually, i'll say all three of them we use in my family regularly. So yeah, she's picked some goodies today.
Speaker 1: Great. Okay, Well, the first one we're looking at is the Coals Bakery Tiger Rolls, which of course are those ones with the cheeky tiger looking spots on top.
Speaker 2: It's love them.
Speaker 1: It's a six pack for two dollars fifty. A serving size is one role, which is about sixty eight grams, which is not dissimilar to a couple of slices of bread. Let's we'll do per roll, I think, rather than per hundred grams. Are you happy with that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because everyone needs a roll. No one needs one point.
Speaker 1: Two five of roll unless you take the middle out, but that's different. So per roll, it's six hundred and ninety seven killer jewels, which is just over one hundred and fifty calories. One sixty six calories per serve, five point four grams of protein, which isn't insignificant for a bread based product. One point one grams are fat, very little saturated as you would expect from a basically white bread roll. Thought two grams of carbohydrates, so very similar to two standard slices of bread. Very little sugar. You're a point five which actually we'll have a close look in a second and see if that's added or naturally occurring. One point eight grams of dietary fiber a little bit on the low side, and two hundred and eleven milligrams of sodium ingredients wheat flour, water tiger paste I think that actually comes from a tiger.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: Tiger paste is six percent made with water, rice flour, and sugar, yeast and iid ice salt. So it's not dissimilar to when you get a crunchy muffin and put the crumble on top, where you would mix some butter, some flour and some sugar to get that. So here they're giving you that crunchy hundred top by some rice flour and crystallizing that with a bit of sugar. So that's where those sugars are coming from And then on top of that, we've got some yeast i'dised salt, wheat, gluten, vegetable oil, yellow pea flour which is interesting, and some fortified vitamin, some folic acid and thymone which is in routinely fortified in flour in Australia. Oh yeah, I don't like a roll that's got less than three grams of dietary fiber per serve. We all love a tiger crunchy top. It basically a bit of sugar. Would it be my go to?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Do I buy it?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Is it better than a McDonald's bread roll? Yes, but I'd give it like a six out of ten. It's just typically a white bread roll with a bit of sugar on top. What do you reckon?
Speaker 2: I must say I grew up on these rolls, you know, roast chicken, salad, these rolls, bit of mayo. Love it if you did not buy these, Yeah, Sophie, we love these. We'd make so if you buy them, she'd buy the whole, the nine grained ones and the tiger rolls. And she'd be like, you kids, choose, and we'd always go for the tiger rolls. And she'd be the everyone's eating them, the dense bergan type ones. But these are good. These are good, Like from a taste perspective, like, these are these are great. My family loves and we just spent the weeked Nooser and with David's family as well, and we're getting some Tiger rolls. The kids love them, so you know they taste great, But let's be honest, nutritionally, they're not great. I mean, the amount of added sugar is very low. It's not like we're putting a sugar coating on there. It's a new point five Graham's per serving, so it's very low. But I think from a nutrient density perspective, there's nothing much there. It really is just a white bread roll. So you're getting some energy from some carbs and that's pretty much about it. Like you, I like at least three grams of dietary fiber and something. I like to see some visible hoole grains in there, which helps support our gun health, and I'm not really seeing much of either of those in these roles. So from a taste perspective of ten out of ten nuturing perspective, probably, let's be honest, five.
Speaker 1: Out of ten exactly now and they look cute, we can understand why the kids like them. But this is a nutrition podcastle it. So let's take a look at some with some slightly stronger nutritionals. So the coal is bakery, high fiber, low GI seven seeds and grain rolls. Now, you guys will know these because they've got a massive glacemic symbol on the top and they've got a big flushing high fiber and a four pack is three fifty, so you do pay a bit more for kind of this density as you would expect per serving one thousand and fifty four killer jewel, which is one hundred and fifty two calories, so not insignificantly, and like, let's be honest, that's quite a fair whack of calories coming just from the bread before you're adding anything to it. Ten point two grams of protein, so right up there, which we'll assume is from the dense flower and seeds, and will take a look in a second. Seven point six grams are fat. So you could look at that and think, wow, that's really high in fat for bread. But when we take a look at the saturated fat, it's very low. It's just over one so most of it's coming from long chain seeds as we would expect very similar amount of carbohydrate to the tiger roll thirty gram thirty grams, that's right, zero point eight grams of sugar, so less than a gram eight point eight grams of dietary fiber through the roof, so almost three times is a minimum what we would suggest having. And sodium coming in at two ninety one, just under three hundred, which is a fairly good reference range for a couple of slices of bread. Now we have a little look at the ingredients. It's wheat, flour, water seeds at twenty one percent, which is massive, lint seeds, sunflower seeds, sesame poppy, so you are getting a massive dose of long chain Amega three fats wheat brand pretty high up there too, which is bumping up that dietary fiber and giving that bread roll that sort of brown deep look and taste texture in the mouth. Three point five percent whole grain kibbled rye, kibbled wheat, wheat flake, wheat, gluten yees, maize, semolina, idied salt, vegetable oils just right at the and malt valley flower and the fortified flower. I can't faulted leand I'd give it a ten out of ten straight away. If you've got people who like this and more eat it, it is an outstanding role. The carbohydrates spot on, the protein's really high. Yes, the calories are high, but you're basically getting a dose of good fat in this as well. It's a relatively cost effective way to get good fats because I hear a lot of my clients spying chi are and some flower seeds. Now they're not inexpensive as ingredients. Now you can get all of those from a good quality bread or cereal and you're absolutely getting it with these products, which justifies the price point. But I can't fold it. I'd give it. I'd give it a ten out of ten. What do you reckon?
Speaker 2: And even for the price point, it's less than a dollar per role, So yes, it is more expensive than say the Standard Coals brand white frind rolls or the Standard Coals brand wholemeal bread rolls, but it's still fairly I think affordable for most people, you know, less than a dollar per role. For me, I'm more than happy to spend that. These are my absolute favorite ones. These are my go to a little spanner and the works me has a sesame allergy, so I had to be very careful. These sesame is just an absolute bugger. It gets everywhere, like I just find sesame sea's on the ground. So we don't buy these as frequently as I would like. We have to be very careful with them, but they absolutely might go to I recommend them to my clients, and I will say that, yes, the calorie amount is higher, say two fifty per role, but I would happily eat one of these and feel very satisfied if I stuffed it with some lean protein and tons of veggies. Versus those tiger roles I could easily eat too. So I find them far more filling and satisfying than the white bread tiger roles. And I think most people would agree that one of these is more than enough versus when you're just using like a smaller white bread role. Most people would happily eat two, particularly if it's got nice roast chicken and mayo in that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and if you can get your kids to have them. But you do forget that the sesame actually not to self when everywhere around me out watch the added sesame. Two things not to self all right, now. The third is a really interesting product actually, because I'm well aware of this brand because one of my local supermarkets is Coals and I see it all the time. So this is the Coal's finest by Rye sour dough roll. So this is kind of their boot take range of breads, and they've got the kind of fresh loaves that are have like a paper wrap around them, and they even do a beautiful hot cross bun coming into Easter. Now, this is a three pack at four dollars. Now, they're quite large, LeAnn, so I'm just having a look. They're more one hundred and thirty grams per roll. That is kind of is it double some of.
Speaker 2: Them, the tiger ones are sixty eight, so they're basically double a tiger.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so they're almost double the density. So straight away I'm a little bit concerned about that because of just the density of flour in a product that that's that heavy. And sure enough, if we look per serving, it's over one hundred grams. So it's twelve hundred and eighty four killer jawls, which is just over three hundred calories just in the role. Ten point seven grams of proteins are not dissimilar to the grainy variety one point three grams are fat and less than a gram saturated, but LeAnn carbohydrate wrise fifty nine grams, so double the carbohydrate and the equivalent of at least four slices of regular bread in a single roll, two point three grams of sugars, five point six grams of directary fiber, so not too bad, and sodium poor for ninety four milligrams. That's almost a quarter of your recommended daily intake just coming from your bread roll. Now under it tastes good. Water wheat flour, rye flour, wheat, malt, flower yeast, vitamins. But they've got no sodium added on the list.
Speaker 2: It's a funny one. I think they must have t weird because it's definitely added sodium.
Speaker 1: And then, yeah, you wouldn't normally see a bread roll without sodium added, at least in a small amount.
Speaker 2: Not for five hundred milligrams per serving anyway, No, there has.
Speaker 1: To be some added, absolutely, and.
Speaker 2: I imagine would be id I sold as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I do like rye for some of my clients who are a bit sensitive to different flowers. A lot of clients with IBS type signals will do well on RYE. I think if you've got high energy demands, like if you're doing CrossFit training or even sort of marathon training, where you're really trying to get a lot of carbohydrates in relatively small volumes of food, this could be a great product. But I probably wouldn't recommend it to my ladies because it's just too dense in carbohydrate. I'm usually working off about thirty grams per serve, and certainly at three hundred calories. You know, if I'm working on lunches of about three four hundred calories, I've got to get the protein in there as well. I think it's middle ground. I don't think it's a bad product. I'm a bit concerned about the sodium, so as I said, I'd probably only recommend it for active people who need a lot of energy, you know, people who are going on hikes or runners or CrossFit or people wanting to gain weight. But I certainly preferred generally a whole grain bread roll and certainly something with a much lower carbohydrate load. So I'd give it maybe seven out of ten. I think there's some positives, but there's quite a few negatives overall too.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's sort of. It's double the size, double the calorie, double the carbohydrate content of the tiger rolls, but at least you're getting a little bit of fiber in there. And like you said, ray is for some people easier tolerated than some of the weak flowers as well, even though it is predominantly weak flower on the label, so just be cautious of that. It also now correct me if I'm wrong, Suzie, it uses yeused in the ingredients, so it's not a traditional sour dough. They've used years to speed up that fermentation process. So if you're using it from an IBS perspective, because you're a little bit more sensitive, generally, the starter culture and that slow fermentation process shouldn't be using any wheat, and that's what actually allows the body to digest it a little bit easier. So some sensitive tummies do well with traditional types of sowdough. But correctly, if I'm rose Zuzzy, this uses wheat, so I wouldn't say that this is a traditional type of sowdo So it's almost like a little bit of a health halo. I think you're not getting the full benefits of something using the proper stata culture plus flower plus water. That's all that is really in a traditional sourdough, and then it's just left to ferment and rise over a couple of days. So the actually using the US in this to speed up that process, so you're actually probably not getting the full gut health benefits out of this, all the full benefits from like a lower gipe perspective either, I would imagine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good call out. Actually good call out, because the supermarkets and even some mainstream bread brands will have sourdo on the label, and as we said, it doesn't necessarily have that century old starter culture driving it. And there certainly no culture listed here as a true sour dough that you would get from an authentic sour dough bakery. So absolutely right.
Speaker 2: A little bit of a health hal a little bit of a health halo, and they're charging for it. You know, it's cold finest range.
Speaker 1: Just be very careful.
Speaker 2: And we have actually done a podcast on salado, so flick back through the catalog and have to listen to that one if you're interested in what a true authentic salado recipe should be.
Speaker 1: If it doesn't have a real tangy kind of smell.
Speaker 2: To it, almost like a little bit vinegarious.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not the best quality sourdough. And my good Italian friends will go around Sydney sniffing the lows, so they're all over it. If it doesn't have a strong smell, they're not into it at all. All right, Well, that brings us to the end of the Nutrition Couch product review. If you haven't done so, please subscribe and continue to tell your friends. We continue to grow and we have a new product just about to launch in the next couple of weeks. We recently released our product review manual and we're just about to do takeaway and eating out, so that will be out very shortly, so look out for that at the nutritioncouch dot com. And we are going to see you same time, same place on Sunday morning for our weekly regular episode drop have a great week, catch you next week. The Bustle Spin, Second Span, Second stor