Speaker 1: The flex and Rooms Daily podcast, and we're back. We never left, never left, but today's episodes can be really, really fun. What you're going to hear is ten minutes of me yip yapping because Humy refuses to tell us her dating story that she promised she would, which is okay. You know, because I'm always here, you never.
Speaker 2: Know it might come up in the last minute, so people have to listen the whole time.
Speaker 1: No, it's still worth it to listen despite your negligence.
Speaker 2: Well, I go through Flexi's dating profile and trust me, you're gonna want to listen to this. You're going to get some inspiration. Also, I assume if anybody finds you on Hinge, they might come and do some googling, find this podcast, listen to it, and then they can be I guess like vindicated, saying, oh, I understand why that woman had all those prompts.
Speaker 1: I didn't understand that, but I stand by you. I gonna have that where we're all gonna have that doctor message in again, like flex ever understands you, but I do you have some anaesthesia. What I will say is I believe that my profile is a testament to the fact that I don't have traumatic dating experiences like so many of my peers do. You don't have any, not from no, not traumatic, Like you know when people talk about like terrible casual dating experiences. I don't have that, And I think it's because the kind of profile I'm building is attracting a person that, at the very least, even if we don't work out, not embarrassed by the prospect of having spoken to your talking to you. I'll speak to some of my friends or acquaintances where I'm like, you let anybody participate, Like your profile is made for everyone. There are no barriers to entry. You're just so happy to be perceived and ogled at, and you're confused why. Like you've attracted all these weirdos, there's nothing keeping them away, Like you look like the most approachable, beautiful person ever. Of course every sicko is like I want a piece.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, I will tell you a story quickly before we go okay in the intro go on, and also if this person listens, I actually don't care. Oh so, before we came in to record this, someone else at the station approached me and said, oh listen, frooms rooms, lusty rooms, did you to I'm going to change the guy's name. Did you used to date a guy called Jake? And Jake is the name of my ex boyfriend, like my actual boyfriend from years ago. And I was like, ah, do you want to say yes? Because it was like I don't want to incriminate myself. But I was like ah, She's like yeah, like Jack Taylor again, made up name you with me, I'm with you, And I was like oh, And she was talking about a man that I went on one date with, one date, not the one day claim one date day froom's doll.
Speaker 1: We didn't date a live one date.
Speaker 2: I had one drink with you, and they decided you were sexist and racist, and so I walked away and you followed me home, and then I went through uga shopping and you follow me into the supermarket. And then I never wanted to speak to you again. And yet that was a successful date, so much so that you YouTube dated. So I did some sort of voodoo magic to make him obsessed with me, because there's been too many of these. So if you listen to this enough, I've had enough. You know that I've had enough.
Speaker 1: Finally, message him, no, okay, you're going to regret this. No, I won't message.
Speaker 2: I just want to see if I can just see I'm a bad person all of you.
Speaker 1: If you believe that, then I believe you.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I must have deleted his messages. We dated? What?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah.
Speaker 2: We also need to do an episode about people that say dated if you've gone on three dates, you didn't date.
Speaker 1: But also what we need to talk about people saying that people they've like casually dated, like gone a couple of dates with other exes. I was like, Oh, no, want's come up with my ex What are you talking about? If we do not have aspirations of long term commitment, we're not exes. That is so crazy for you to say that. Anyway, Oh, let's go to what we're here to do, flex and froods FLEXI.
Speaker 2: Last week I told you all about how I am Karen by nature Karen by nurture.
Speaker 1: Which is a great statement that you should trademark immediately if you can.
Speaker 2: True, because I feel like there's going to be a turnaround where we start appreciating Karen's I.
Speaker 1: Think we're there with you leading leading the way.
Speaker 2: One sentence persuasion, I am at Karen, my Karen, my inner Karen was challenged on the weekend. What happened Saturday night? I get home, been at a girlfriend's house having dinner. She may be knocky, asked with spinach and add dream chocolate with cookies in it and some wine. Then I'm walking home and i walk past, like this place opposite my house. I'm like, oh damn, I'm having a party. That's really cool. I never see that house having a party. I didn't even know it was a house.
Speaker 1: Okay, the said neighborhood watch trying you today, you got the one to schedule.
Speaker 2: I get home, I'm like, oh damn, I can hear the music all through the house.
Speaker 1: Whatever time is this, roughly eleven thirty pm.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Then I get into bed, take my makeup off, get myself all comfortable. Then I'm lying down and I can hear the music, and I'm like, that's cool. I want to read my book anyway, finished reading the book after aut half an hour. As I'm reading the book, I'm thinking, yeah, I'm cool with this. I'm fine with this. I'm fine with this because it's going to end in half an hour.
Speaker 1: On a Saturday, hard stop surturday eleven hard midnight stop. Can't know what it is.
Speaker 2: So it gets to about eleven fifty five and I'm like, I need to go to bed in five I need to be asleep in five minutes.
Speaker 1: This is what's the pressure fabs the weekend. Do you have something on Sunday?
Speaker 2: Okay? Just it's the principal And that's where the Karen comes in.
Speaker 3: Got it?
Speaker 2: The principle that you think it's okay to have a party and the music that loud. I'm telling you when I said it was in my bedroom boom boom boom boom, thumping music wasn't bad, to be honest, but it was right into my ears and my house. I can either go to bed put air plugs in, or I could call the police.
Speaker 1: WHOA, those are the two options. You can't sleep with a bit of noise. This was really loud. FLEXI had you tried to unwind or you were just already riled up by the inconvenience that you like, Actually, this needs to stop in order for me to sleep.
Speaker 2: Probably riled up? Yeah, okay? As I said, the Karen was dormant, and then over the course of half an hour she was growing. I was all about it until I wasn't about.
Speaker 1: It, but a forty five minute window.
Speaker 2: Seriously, call the police.
Speaker 1: Whoa, whoa, whoa? What are you talking about?
Speaker 2: I called the police?
Speaker 1: What number to you even call?
Speaker 2: You call your local stations.
Speaker 1: I could do something because remember last week Freedom was when I gave you that scenario of you know what we should do if you were driving down the highway and you saw somebody in the car next she with a sign that said hell, and then you said, don't call the emergency line, call your local And I was like, I don't know you could do that because you do this, she's so scary.
Speaker 2: Call your local police is all I'm going to say. They're available all the time.
Speaker 1: Are they twenty four hours? Yeah? Wow.
Speaker 2: My advice is if anything's ever no, no, no, So you call the number and then the police people pick up.
Speaker 1: And what did they say?
Speaker 2: I said, Hey, my neighbors are having a party, So what's your address? I said, X y Z. They're like, we've already got police there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you've been corroporating with the community. The Karen network Karen mental network. The mind frame is like say no more. The moment it irked you, the other Karen was on it. It's why I have.
Speaker 2: Hair that's like that to the back of the brain is free.
Speaker 1: And so they said there was already somebody on it.
Speaker 2: And then you said and I said, thank you so much, lady, and then that was it. You hung up, and then I hung up, and then still took an hour until it was shut down. Inefficient. Got a bone to pick with the police station.
Speaker 1: How many times do you think, over the course of your life have you called the police in a non emergency what one would describe as a mild inconvenience.
Speaker 2: Honestly, like a lot.
Speaker 1: Because it's only only a Karen would truly think that the police care enough to help me like that is I'm entitled, for sure, but I would never think that the police. I would never think to call the police number one, but to help me about what's a personal preference. It's Saturday at eleven. They can play some music anyway. There's no remorse here. I have never seen you look more gleeful in your whole life. So what is the moral of the story.
Speaker 2: The moral of the story is call your local police when is necessary, and you can deem what is necessary because you pay your taxes and you're a part of the citizenship.
Speaker 1: My moral of the story is identify your local Karen because they're in and among you and you don't even know it. Flex and frooms And there's many things that I won't do, and fact checking is one of them. Every now and then, when it's completely necessary, when a headline is sob sir that it needs further investigating, yeah, sure. But most of the time, if someone's taking the time to recap an article for me, I'm going to assume they're telling the truth. And So there's this trend on TikTok at the moment, and it's it goes something like, what's a scam that has been so normalized that people don't realize it's a scam anymore? And so people share things like paying for housing or taxes or buying bottled water, et cetera. But I came across this one in particular that talks about how Hinge's Most Compatible is the biggest scam of them all. Listen to this.
Speaker 3: With a scam, this becomes so normalized that we don't even realize it's a scam anymore. Hinge's Most Compatible feature isn't designed to find the best person for you. Ever received a most Compatible profile on Hinge and thought, how are they the most compatible person for me? Hinge makes a big deal about how it uses the Nobel Prize winning Gale shape Lay algorithm to find you your most compatible match. That's not what the algorithm is designed to do. The Gale Shapely algorithm was created to solve something called the stable marriage problem. This is when you have two equally sized groups and you need to find a way to ensure that everybody.
Speaker 1: Ends up with the match.
Speaker 3: So it's designed to find the most matches, but not necessarily.
Speaker 2: The best matches.
Speaker 3: That means, even if you're better suited to someone else, if matching you together would leave someone else in the group without a match, then it will decide to pay you off with the worst match instead, so that no one is left on their own.
Speaker 2: Not the menacing music.
Speaker 1: I was reading the comments and people are talking about this. One girl in particular was like, I've been matched with my ex five times as my most compatible Can you imagine?
Speaker 2: Shouldn't they know? Isn't there something else? But like they know if you have their number on your phone.
Speaker 1: TikTok knows when I think about something, and Hinges can't put me match you with a cute little six foot five vampire. You can't do that. What a waste of time. And they're charging your money to be there. Wait, well they charge for it, not the app generally to free app, but to get any of the benefits, you've got to pay for it, which you know, pay to play consumerism. Who have you been matched with anyone? Rogue? I'm surprised when it's someone. I'm like, you know what I would? I would go there.
Speaker 2: You like, oh my god, on a hinge, I don't have the apps.
Speaker 1: Oh you're off the apps.
Speaker 2: No, I'm off the apps.
Speaker 1: I reckon.
Speaker 2: I've been off the apps for about a year. Just had a few speaky experiences, you know.
Speaker 1: So spooky good, spooky, quirky, spooky, eccentric, spooky trauma, spooky trauma, okay, the best kind. So we talk about them, Yeah, some little something like tell us the story them. I I do see. I also got off the apps just to get back on them, because I was like, I got off the apps to stay inside. I don't go out in winter, so it's coping season. I'm gonna need to get back on the apps as soon as it's September one. I'm off them.
Speaker 2: Do people recognize you on them, yeah.
Speaker 1: Which I used to feel funny about and I didn't know why because if somebody, if I liked someone, they liked me and their first message was flex or I love the podcast. I used to be like, oh, no, I don't want to be perceived. But then I'm no, this is so good because then there's so much context that I don't need to fill in the blanks for you already know what I sound like, what my interests are, what I look like. It's so like this is a shortcut, and now I'm very open to it. I'm like, I would prefer you know of me and.
Speaker 2: You don't mind that it's like quite unequal because you don't know anything about them.
Speaker 1: Well, it's just the nature of anyway. It will always be unequal. I mean, if we were two strangers on an app, we would still not know anything about each other. And what we don't know means we can't We don't have context for how unequal it is, right, we just assume we're on the same playing field. So I'm not really worried about the equality of it all. But i am. I just don't think apps are the right medium for anything. I mean, not that they're not the right medium. I just feel like like we don't use them in the way that they're intended, and then therefore we don't get the outcomes that we want.
Speaker 2: How should we use them more strategically.
Speaker 1: I think people go on the app and they do miss and mister ambiguous. Oh, I'm just here, just say what you want.
Speaker 2: I can you look at your profile?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, okay, hinge, We've got one notification, but I won't go into the messages. I love of shits. Okay, your name is lil. I thought maybe it would be Flex, So that's cool.
Speaker 1: That's crazy flex mummy. Can you imagine for a little while in Bumble because I had the first time i'd logged into Bumble, it was with it for a Bumble job. So they had my name is Flex and I couldn't change it, and so that was a bit confusing because people are kind of like, are you here for work?
Speaker 2: And I was like, I think, so, yeah, I think it's about time I got another dating sponsorship to give me an excuse to get back in there. Yeah, okay, first picture is so cute.
Speaker 1: It's her, it's me at, it's me, it's me at China Heights. Yes, and I just bought a Kildee Crystal Mary sculpture. Uh. It's very hot, very expensive, and I love it so much. And that's the photo that they took of me when they show me the art that I brought, and I look so happy and so stoked, gorgeous.
Speaker 2: Okay, the prompt the secret to getting to know me is yeah, I need to take this as gospel. By asking me to theorize a completely hypothetical scenario, I will take it seriously.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it'll be fun.
Speaker 2: It will if this was on anyone else's profile in cell.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I'm cute.
Speaker 2: True.
Speaker 1: And also can we just pause there, because when I had that on my profile as well, Sally was like, this is so serious. I'm like, I'm a serious person. You think I have time to faff around and entertain people? I already know I'm entertaining and charming and etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. And I also think that I was talking to Sally. I'm like, too many people make their profile up for consumption, like what's going to be a better viewing experience for the imaginary audience, as opposed to saying like who am I trying to present myself as and who am I trying to attract the person that I want to attract. It is going to say and be like fuck yeah, I want to do that too. And it happens to be a for Dora wearing insult. Maybe that's my king.
Speaker 2: A young Fedora King. Okay, she's twenty eight, she lives somewhere, she's vaccinated, she's spiritual.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very important, because I don't want to give people the wrong impression. Like we come in here every week and we talk about aliens and conspiracies and whatever. That's a big chunk of my life. And outside of that, I'm doing taro, I'm doing astrology. I've got literally the like two Bibles on my bedstand. Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Brand?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: Brand by Christianity? Yeah? Is it?
Speaker 1: What do you mean there's different religion Bibles? Yeah, you mean like the King James version? Like what do you want to tell you? Like, I'm tune in. I'm like, just in case I don't want to die and not go to heaven. But the thing is, I don't want to be in the same way that I wouldn't want to meet someone and be like, oh whoa you're like a capital a atheist. I had no idea. I don't want someone to meet me and be like whoa, You're like super like spiritual, quirky, gotta know it.
Speaker 2: Okay, Second picture you on an orange inflatable wearing orange, eating orange Toritos with orange glasses on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's that say? Material girl? Remember one time this guy tried to ask me on a date and he's like, but just wear something casual. I was like, don't worry about it, let's not go because I can be casual. Like I'm casual right now, wouldn't you say, wouldn't we agree? This is a casual fear. But if you have to preface it, then like we're just not correct.
Speaker 2: He's telling you what to do, what he wants.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I'm like, you've got it that already tells me enough, don't worry about it, let's just go. He said, let's just go casual. That's the biggest BURNU. You got to go through this profile quickly because you owe us a story.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, okay, okay, you standing boss moves in your pia set please say please say set.
Speaker 1: Well, so this.
Speaker 2: Mirror looks like an asshole?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the prolapse. Yeah, pro the foam mirror trend that I started and ruined the environment with accidentally, Lich did you start that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: The Guardian the wrote article, Yeah, I was the first one to do it, and then some random American influencer went viral with it and people were like, where did this idea? She's like, actually it's some random Australian girl. Hectic. I'm glad I didn't come back to me a little bit though, because.
Speaker 2: You know, bad bad juju as you drink out of a plastic bottle. I take pride in seeking ease, pleasure and leisure. Cool. There's a picture of you with black puffy sleep, beautiful pearl necklace are they popularsen and Sunnysi? And a beautiful long pennytail outside what looks like where is that? It's in King's Cross. It's like this beautiful Greek restaurant Apollo. Yeah, gorgeous. Still haven't been Okay, answer this. We'll get along if if you don't use.
Speaker 1: This is so important, this is read it. We will get along.
Speaker 2: If this is gonna rock me, Yeah, I feel a bit seen. We'll get along if you don't use self deprecation as the cornerstone of your personality.
Speaker 1: And it's so true because as soon as people are self deprecating around me, you either get me in hyper passive aggressive mode where I'm like, if you're going to do it, I need to call it out every time so you hear how silly it sounds. Or I just cannot sustain any kind of intimacy with you long term. It's so draining and suffocating, like we all hate ourselves fundamentally. Keep it to yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like you also don't play into it, like you're not like, oh that's not true, babe. You let you sit there and stew in it. Then we got you in active where beautiful no comment is the caption exactly, but pause.
Speaker 1: You look at that profile on your own time. You owe us a story. You just crop me out of the cater pic. You would never in that one. Also, I like that you.
Speaker 2: Have no friends in yours. That's really cool.
Speaker 1: Why is that a bad thing?
Speaker 2: No? I think it's a good thing.
Speaker 1: No, I do deciding friends in the profile, So I mentioned that as well. She's like, good you have no friends in there.
Speaker 2: Because it's like, I don't consent to me being in people's pictures. Oh really yeah, not necessarily.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: My dating story is I don't have any and we need to finish the podcast and I tell you next.
Speaker 1: Time dog move. Josh called it. That's very Karen of you.
Speaker 2: Well, there's more of that.
Speaker 1: This is flex and frooms on CADA. Last week, we discussed the million dollar Egg challenge, where we needed to decide if we were comfortable being an egg for a year, we'd have to identify who would guard our egg if at any time in year they dropped us. The person who was in charge of guarding us would win a million dollars they kept us safe. We would get the million dollars. You said you wouldn't do it for a million, but you would do it for five I said I'd do it point blank period. But based on that, I guess my algorithm. My Google agents just not to find me because I came across this challenge called the egg Baby Project, and it's like given to high schoolers in class to teach them, you know, about the realities of parenting, to practice compassion, to understand how to nurture something, discipline, diligence, all of that good stuff, and to also consider just the fragility of life and being a person, because I think when you're in high school you kind of don't understand what it is to be a person yet, let alone that there would be trials and tribulations, and that it does take time. It's an effort to keep yourself safe and alive.
Speaker 2: Not interested.
Speaker 1: After some research, I found out that there are some variations on this project, and that you're told to look after an egg anywhere from two days to two weeks, and there are different like requirements, like the egg needs to sleep for a certain amount of time. It's going to go out and do this. It's got to get food, it's got to go out to play, it's got to meet its basic needs, like it's Maslow's hierarchy. So I was like, okay, cool, Like let me do some research. Let me see, you know what, let me see what information would be required for maybe us to do our own egg baby project in the future. I don't know, but listen to this, right I'm looking at like a teacher's PDF. Right now, I'm in the curriculum. I'm in the curriculum basically says your egg baby will be born on a Monday, so you'll need to come to class prepared with a safe and comfortable box for it. Since your egg baby needs to breathe all times, the container must not have a lid. Isn't this incredible? Do you love this.
Speaker 2: Time?
Speaker 1: I think this is incredible. You need to bring your egg baby everywhere you go except pee, because your egg baby can't be left unattended for any more than a few minutes at any time. You'll have to find an exitter for whatever. You are unable to bring your egg somewhere. Please respect your teacher's class rules. If any teachers feel like your egg babies are too distracting, they may just allow you to bring them to class and you will have to find an exitter for that period as well. Now you might say this is super silly and nonsensical. Why are you telling me this? What I'm saying is bring this back, because if we're already getting into Handmaid's Tail Gilead, we need we need a quick remind of what it is to care for people. Because I had no idea you can't put a lid on an egg baby anyway. This is a four page pdf completely with journaling aspects to check in on your baby as well being and all. I'm saying is that we should do this or at least challenge someone to look after an egg baby for two weeks, take it everywhere, document it for a price. Well, did you know your only contribution has been giggles.
Speaker 2: Asturising it. When I was in primary school, yeah, I befriended this girl. We were like family friends. And one day I was meant to go over to her house for a playdate, but I couldn't, so I felt really bad, so I like drew her this picture and got her this, Like I got an egg from the supermarket and like did all these paintings on it to give to her. So I went over to her house and like gave her the egg and the card and anyway, she was like cool, and then that's really sweet.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Then about a month later, our family friends, like we go over to the house and they're like, there's been this smell in this house, as if there's a rat dead. We've got people to come and look. They can't find anything under the house. We don't know what it is, And it turns out it.
Speaker 1: Was the egg. Ca'd they find out it was the egg.
Speaker 2: Because like the chick must have just put it in her cupboard and forgotten about it, but it was my egg because I didn't drain the egg when I painted it.
Speaker 1: Why would you? How are you meant to know you meant to drain the egg. That's sweet. You were one of those real quirky, eccentric kids. I can just tell. Yeah, I want an adult to do this egg challenge. I want a parent to do it and see if it's actually possible, because to tell a high schooler you got to look after this egg like a kid, unheard of, unfathomable, not interested. You're listening to flex and frooms on. Can I tell you about something that I discovered recently? Do you know what's become really strange about my life? When I see something cool? I used to just put it in my memory bank and then followed away and hope that it would come up in conversation. But now I put them on a little cater notes and I said, I'm going to tell through me about this me too, all this information that you don't need to hear. But I'm like, well, who else am I going to tell? But have you heard of this phenomena called one Sentence Persuasion?
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: It's also a published book by Blair Warren but the general gist of one sentence persuasion is that people will do anything for those who encourage their dreams, justify their failures, allay their fears, can firm their suspicions, and help them throw rocks at their enemies. What that tells me and I notice it in a lot of people who have amassed a lot of fame by being controversial. Think of do you know Andrew tate elon mask this idea that they are validating what you believe and putting it on a platform to make you feel better about you being on almost like the outsides of the conversation or on the periphery of the norm. So someone getting on the internet and being like, look, look I don't even shower, either like I shower once a day or like once a week, or you know, I think it's okay to ghost people, or like what I said I want to have on one of our first episodes, or people like the thank you flex, I want to ghost people now, or if I said that you know, I don't aspire to do anything with my life, or I hate whoever people like yes, I will stand by that person and ride with them because they're validating what I believe. It's why Jordan Peterson so so much. One sentence persuasion pathologizing very human stuff but taking the brunt of the potential backlash that will come from it.
Speaker 2: Right, So, one sentence persuasion means just saying one thing like I do not shower, yeah, and then that.
Speaker 1: Doubling down and making everyone feel not everyone, but making people who who align with that feel really validated by you aligning with that for them. Cool, Okay, hectic, So maybe we'll try it. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't want to be that personal.
Speaker 1: Well, depends what you're saying. Like, you might say that I believe that we should let all girls have free rent. Yes, free rent for women, and that is my plight, and who knows, people who agree with that will also be like, yeah, I'm with you for me, I.
Speaker 2: Believe that too, and then they become.
Speaker 1: You're not only like your fans, but we'll protect right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I say that with particular people that are really popular.
Speaker 1: It's giving very What's that I'm thinking? How to win friends and not manipulate people? What's that book? How to how to win friends and influence people? That Robert Green forty eight Laws of Power type vibe like this is the way to get into people's heads and get what you want. Not very practical for day to.
Speaker 2: Day, no interesting. I'm a bit dumbfounded by that one, to be honest.
Speaker 1: That's okay. Let it simmer. There's no rush to do anything with it. In the meantime.
Speaker 2: This is an information think of my one sentence persuasion.
Speaker 1: We'll come back to it. We'll give it a week. You've been listening to the Flex and Frooms Daily podcast. For more, tune Indicata on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.