Speaker 1: Hi everyone, and welcome to another episode of the sit Down. I'm Matrolope, a writer for oz open dot com.
Speaker 2: And I'm viv Christian, managing editor of Australian Tennis magazine and Matt. Why are we sitting down this week with Michael Chang.
Speaker 1: We're pretty fortunate to get Michael this week because it's a very relevant time of year for him. We're currently watching the Cincinnati tournament and he's a two time champion there and actually made four consecutive Cincinnati finals. He was also a Canada champion, he made the US Open finals, so this was kind of a time of year where he thrived in his legendary career. He won thirty four titles and more than half of them came on US soil. So he was kind of the perfect person to pick his brain about tennis at this time of year.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And while we were looking forward with Michael Chang, I was actually looking back a little bit as well, because he was the first interview I did with an international player at the very start of my tennis journalist All wow, So he was as generous now as he was with his time. Then let's have a listen to what he had to say.
Speaker 1: Thank you Michael Chang for joining us on the sit down today. It's great to have you.
Speaker 3: Thank you. Nice to be here.
Speaker 1: This is a great time of year two chat to you because we're now post Olympics into the swing of the North American hard court season and it's kind of you know, the US Open is rapidly approaching. And when we look back at your career, your first and final titles in nineteen eighty eight and two thousand both came on American So one was in the first was in San France, the second was in LA And more than half of your career titles came in the US. So I just wondered what helped you play or helped you find your best tennis on home soil.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, I you know, I grew up in California. Everybody who grows up in California players are hard courts, and you know, it's a surface that I'm most familiar with. My biggest title obviously came on clay, but majority of my of my my victories have come on hard court. Is something very similar to it, you know, it's interest saying the uh, the hard courts do vary a little bit throughout the summer summer swing, and then I mean, I guess you can even count the spring as well, because ine Wells and Miami are are two huge, you know tournaments that are also you know, obviously happened in the in the US on hard courts as well. But uh, I mean I could I could almost go and and talk to you about each hard court event and what the tendencies are on on those services. I could tell you what the weather's like in certain places. I will tell you this, by far, year after year, the US Open in New York is by far the fastest out of all of the hard court services, without question. It's actually probably one of maybe only two that I can think of that I actually have not one in the US. And you know, the solar slower services obviously would uh suit me pretty well. The medium ones were pretty good, but the ones that were tend to be you know yourself, was just a little bit faster, certainly made it a little bit more difficult for me to play against you know, big servers, especially on days that they served really well, like a Sam person the you know, in the finals of of ninety six, or or losing the pat rafter, you know, in ninety seven. So yeah, but I could almost literally tell you what each of those tournaments are like speed wise and and what to expect.
Speaker 1: It's fascinating you should say that you've kind of predicted a little bit. My next question this particular part of the season. You won Canada and you won since E twice, and they're the ones that are kind of happening right now. We've also heard that this part of the season is like it's pretty brutal, like humidity, the hate. It's also coming like, you know, eight months into a long year. What does it take to thrive at this topic you because clearly you did.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean Cincinnati was a was a great stop for me. I actually got to the finals four straight years. Actually, so I have won. I won twice, but I lost twice as well. But you're absolutely right. The conditions there are absolutely absolutely brutal. They can be usually in all of these places there there tends to be one or two days in the afternoon where it just gets so hot and then thunderstorms come and they cool it off just for a little bit, but it is very hot, very humid. You know. I I can recall, you know, quite a few guys you know, having you know, heat issues, cramping issues, and I was certainly I was certainly one of them, and uh yeah, it was just not not that easy to to deal with. But I think I think this day and age, I think the players are I think they're a little bit better shape. I think they're a little bit more well prepared. I think they're more educated as well. Uh So I don't think the heat is as much of a factor just because I think the players are are a lot more well prepared.
Speaker 2: Michael, you are obviously famous for wing Roland Gross, but you actually won the most matches at a major at the US Open and went deep at that Grand Slam so many times. What was it like to play in New York?
Speaker 3: I mean, in New York is exciting. I think for any American, you know, this is our home Grand Slam. The New York atmosphere is very unique. You know, there's a lot of hustle and bustle. You know, there's a lot of uh, there's a lot of noise, you know, a lot of planes flying overhead, just a lot of activity. And generally speaking, players that that go to to New York, they need a little time to actually to kind of get used to the environment there because it is so different from from a lot of these the other tournaments, very different from obviously the other the other Slams as well. But at the same time, you know, in New York is an exciting place, especially if you're playing matches at night, you know, where the crowd just really can really get into matches. And and uh yeah, I played some some really late night matches there. I played one match, you know with McEnroe in ninety one where we finished at like one thirty in the morning, and John being from New York, you know, made it even more Uh we even made it more electrifying to to be able to play him there. So it's a it's a special place. But you gotta love the atmosphere, you gotta love the excitement, and and you got to be able to still at the same time, you know, be focused and stay focused because there are a lot of distractions.
Speaker 2: Was it your favorite Grand Slam?
Speaker 3: I don't know if necessarily in certain aspects it was. I have a family there, so it was nice to be able to have to, uh to stay with family, and also to to have family come out and support. But like I said, I mean each each Grand Slam has a different flavor to it. Uh. You know, the Australian Open, I know, is a favorite for so many players because you know, it's a very relaxed atmosphere. It almost doesn't feel like a Grand Slam, which is which is what what a lot of the players enjoy. You know, you stay pretty close to uh, you know, to the main site.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: The French is you know, very emotional. You know, people love to see your your your emotion, whether you're upset, whether you're whether you're happy. Uh, you know, and obviously Wimbledon is very has their complete you know, different kind of environment, different kind of uh flavor to it. And but yeah, I mean I had certain aspects, you know, because it is the US Open, because I'm American. Uh yeah, in many ways it was my my favorite. But you know, obviously the French will always always have a special place in my art.
Speaker 2: You reach the nineteen ninety six US Open final the same year that you reached the Australian Open final. Was that the season when you felt you were at your peak?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean pretty close to it. You know, I was playing some some very very good tennis. I don't know if you if you know this, but that ninety six US Open, I was literally one point away actually from becoming number one in the world. So obviously the finals, had I beat Pete Sampers in the finals, I would have been US Open champion. But I also would have been number one in the world. But there was a round of sixteen match. I believe that Pete Sampras played against Alice Correccia and they went five sets. He was throwing up in the fifth set. Koresha actually had a had a match point and had he converted on that match point, I would have been number one in the world. So and then obviously wouldn't have played Pete in the finals. You know, probably you know, probably one of the tougher players to play in that day and age, you know, because of the the court speed and and the surface. But but yeah, I mean I was playing very well that year, you know, and uh yeah, I mean it was a it was a good run for me and unfortunately just came up a little bit short.
Speaker 1: It's interesting you mentioned that story about being one point away because I read that recently at an interview you did with Chris Clary and I was just about to quote to you another part of that interview you said to it was a really good chat. You said to him, I look at my career and I'm incredibly blessed. I'm so thankful I had the opportunity to play the tournaments that I played at the age in which I played. So I was we were just wondering what the tournaments you were referring to and what was it about that era that made you feel thankful?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, I think our generation for American players was very special. Honestly, I don't know if it will ever be duplicated, you know. So I'm the youngest actually of our generation, you know, which includes uh, you know, Pete Sampras, Andre Agascy, Jim Currier, you know, Malady Washington, Todd Martin. This is all of our our generation. And you know, I think what we've uh, you know, accomplished collectively, I don't know if it will ever be be duplicated. So, you know, I think that made it very special. And then to have the opportunity to play against so many great generations of players. You know, when we first came out, it was the Lindell you know, McEnroe, O'Connor's generation, Uh, the generation after that, which was you know, Boris Becker, Stefan Edbergh, obviously our own generation which also includes uh, Sergey brigera uh Goran Ivanizovitch, and then uh and then obviously the generation after that, which is Leyton Hewitt, Rod Soffen and Roger Fetter. So you know, it's a it's a pretty incredible, you know general, pretty incredible group of players, you know, spanning those generations, and uh, it was it was very unique and and challenging obviously, but difficult at the same time. We had such a mix of players, whether they were baseliners, whether they were attackers, whether they were certain voliers, chip and chargers. You don't see that actually as much of this at this day and age. You know, I couldn't even tell you. I couldn't even tell you three guys in the top ten or top one hundred now on the ATV Tour that are that are certain voliers. It's that it's that different now. So yeah, I mean it was a very special time. Certainly there were a lot of great competitors, which which certainly made it more difficult to win, you know, big tournaments and win majors. But I certainly don't have any have any regrets, because you know, have the opportunity to play against some of those great players was really really exciting. I missed beor on Board by just a little bit because he retired early and Novak hadn't gotten on tour at Rafa was just playing challengers at the time, So I missed those two guys by just a little bit.
Speaker 1: So when whilst your last year was at three two three three, okay, yeah, yeah, it's amazing what those names you mentioned and what you spanned. It's it's incredible you've always played them all. We have one more question for you if you if there's time, and it was just more about kind of the current era of tennis because we're in this transition period. We've had that incredible period of goats basically Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, Serena, and one by one they're moving on from the game, which of course is going to happen. They've all had such long careers, but at the same time, we've actually got.
Speaker 3: A generation is going to stop yet. Actually, actually I don't think he's going to ever stop. I ever stopped.
Speaker 1: Well, he said he was targeting the LA Olympics.
Speaker 3: What he's done is just absolutely incredible. But you're absolutely right. I mean they're you know, we've had this this generation of players, you know, Roger, you know, Rafos winding his career down, Andy retired, you know, Serena retired not that long ago. I mean, you've got these incredible players, and thankfully we've got great young talent that they were able to take their place, and they're doing a great job. They really really are. You know, I mean, how can you not uh enjoy watching Alcarez out there. I mean, he's winning, but he's smiling. At the same time, Sinner, you know, young Sinner is just incredible talent, you know, very humble, uh and has got all the all the different kinds of shots. You know, So how do you not uh, you know, enjoy watching this new generation you know, kind of grow and mature and and really start to take their uh their place. But like you said, I mean, at the same time, what Novak is doing, what he has done, is mind boggling, absolutely mind boggling, even even in these past you know, a few months uh for him to play at the French you know, get surgery immediately after his uh after his last match there, and then to go into to play and and get to the finals of Wimbledon is one thing, but then to come back and beat Alcarez, you know, on clay at the Olympics, at roal on Garos, I mean, I mean, how do you I mean, I have no words for it. It's just incredible. And he's doing it at that at is thirty seven years old. It's just phenomenal. So h but I think it's been great to be able to have these guys play for as long as they did because it was so good for the game and and and you know, I think tennis is in really really good hands right now. Well, viv fascinating to hear.
Speaker 1: Michael finished the interview talking about how mind boggling Novak's achievements are because I found it really interesting earlier in the interview how he talked about he played so many generations that overlapped, but he'd narrowly missed beyond Borg and he at the other end of his career he finished in three. He narrowly missed me and facing Novak Djokovic, who I think first appeared on tour around four to five. You can just hear that he would have loved to have played Novak, given how much respect he has for what Novak's doing right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was very interesting to me too. I love hearing about when the generations do overlap in tennis. And didn't he compete in an incredible era and constructor a wonderful career in that time. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. And we'll be back next.
Speaker 2: Monday when we sit down with Simon Ray, who is the former coach of Nick Kurios and Sam Stozer and now a data analyst at Tennis Australia. And in the meantime, you can listen to John and the team on this Thursday on the Aoshow Weekly.
Speaker 1: And details for how to contact us aras always in the show notes below, and please subscribe, rate and review. We'll see you next week, Viv look forward to it, Matt