Speaker 1: It's in the news today, but it was actually on TV Reload the podcast.
Speaker 2: Last week that might welcome back guys to TV Reload. As you may know, my name is Benjamin Norris and this is your podcast to get all the inside goss on the popular TV shows that you may be watching from around the world. Underniably, our TV sets are still a major part of our home entertainment, and yet very little is known about how our favorite shows get made. So each episode, I've been finding guests that want to dive just that little bit deeper into the shows that they're currently making, so that you can hear all their exclusive stories and gain access to some of the biggest names in Australian television. I want to thank you for downloading all subscribe to this podcast this year. It means a lot to me. I can't believe I've done three years of TV Reload. I really do love hearing your feedback, so if you've are still listening after all these years, please leave a review or a comment on your chosen podcast platform. On today's podcast, I have Natalie Morris and Carlos Sanson Junior from the hit series Bump, which has dropped series four on Stan Australia today. I absolutely love revisiting these characters each year, and we have seen a new season drop on the same day, Boxing Day for quite a few years now. I feel like the day after Christmas we all need to binge a TV series and just forget about the world and take some time to have some escapism. Some people might look forward to the Boxing Day sales, I personally look forward to taking a deep dive into the world of Bump, which is set in Glebe, Sydney. The Australian drama is made by TV legends Dan Edwards and his father John Edwards, along with Claudia Carvin and Kelsey Monroe. I had the pleasure of chatting with Dan and Claudia earlier this year, and if you missed those episodes of TV Reload, make sure you jump back and hear their incredible stories. In Bump season four, we've jumped forward again, this time by two years. Ollie played by my guest today Natalie Morris, and Santi played by my other guest, Carlos Sanson Junior are back together, having finally stabilized their small family unit with their challenging seven year old daughter, Jacinta. Ollie is now the breadwinner and Santy has found himself the unhappy stay at home dad, and their endless interventions from their big mess of a family are going to make them or break them for series four. It is delicious writing, superbly acted, and like I said, it's the perfect escapism for this time of the year. We will talk about the casting of both their roles. Natalie will talk about the way in which she created the character of Claudia Carvin's daughter and which of her iconic roles she watched to get some inspiration. Carlos will share his journey with his character, and while it's widely known that Natalie had an obvious mentor on the show, he will also reveal who has been a true inspiration for him too. We will dive into their real relationship and find out what separates their on screen romance with where they're both at now living together and if that has created any kind of confusion. Plus, we will get plenty of exclusives from behind the scenes of Bump, which, as I mentioned, starts on Stan Australia today. Anyway, let's bring these two into the podcast and guys, thank you so much for listening to this podcast. It really does mean a lot to me, and what a joy it is to finish the series for twenty twenty three with Bump for the second year in a row. I hope you enjoy this episode.
Speaker 3: Hi, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 4: I had to own Carlos's laptop and my I had to get the Zoom link and then download Zoom and da da dah.
Speaker 2: Did you guys do the like it was like a stand installation of the restaurant, right, Yeah?
Speaker 3: Pretty much?
Speaker 4: I mean yeah, we kind of took over the jar Contina and Glebe and had all the Bump posters up and we were there was so manyadas.
Speaker 3: People just came in and got free food.
Speaker 2: Was there a lot of super fans that come in and interacted with you?
Speaker 5: It was pretty surprising.
Speaker 1: Yeah. There was a whole line of fans out the front of the store at eleven am with a lot of.
Speaker 4: Inner Westies, a lot of Glebe vocals, fans who were like new film on my Street and.
Speaker 2: I I love that stuff. I mean, Claudia talks about that from when she did Seek the Wife of Us. You know, since Kilda really owned that TV series, Saint Kilda was where it was set, you would obviously have that with gleebe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I think it feels the same.
Speaker 1: And there were people who were like, I just I live up the roast came down, I saw what was happening on Instagram.
Speaker 5: I just like walked out the door and just came down to say hi. It was nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm just so happy that young people of your age. And I don't mean to sound that in a condescening way at all. I am forty three, so I'm a little bit old, But I'm just so happy that there's really good content for young people with young people playing them.
Speaker 3: That's so nice.
Speaker 1: I feel like that was part of why we did the time jump, because I think we pulled off we pulled off teenage high school when we first started doing Bump, but then as we kind of got older, I think the whole consensus with the whole career of team was like, let's not try and keep young and like playing younger than they actually are, because you know, as we got as the sort of years went on, by the time we got to season three, it was like, it doesn't really feel right to be playing high school anymore, and the story can expand so much more if we do this time jump, and I remember we were really excited about By the time we got to do the five years in the future, it was like, oh wow, It's.
Speaker 2: Like what is the age difference? Though? So when you first got those roles, how old were you playing? Like, were you two or three years out?
Speaker 4: All? No, I was twenty three and I was playing sixteen, so I was quite a bit older.
Speaker 1: I look back and I watched stuff from season one and season two.
Speaker 5: What's crazy is season two and season.
Speaker 1: Three were filmed two months apart, and I look at stuff from season two and I'm like, we look like children, and then I look at three and I'm like, we look like adults.
Speaker 5: And it was just two months apart.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's crazy. What did you do in between that? I mean they were filmed together.
Speaker 5: I did go to the gym a lot. I was like, I want there to be some sort of physical difference.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I remember being quite set on that, like this is my Christian Vale moment to do a cool physical transformation over the summer. But yeah, we definitely played around with like the looks and like I shaved my head and did you dye your hair or get extensions?
Speaker 3: I think they died a blonder.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that was costuming makes a big difference as well. You know, like we're not in those jubilee when you're not in the school uniform, the school uniform does.
Speaker 5: So much, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, actually put on the school.
Speaker 1: Uniform, I was like, I didn't think I was going to ever do this again. And you immediately feel like a little kid again. You know, You're like, where do I go?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm happy that you guys are playing your own age. I think that that works because I think we're getting more of that. Like even with Heartbreak High that's come back, we've got more age appropriate people, major age appropriate actors playing them. I mean back in the day like Luke Perry on nine oh two or oh, I think he was like twenty years older than what he was playing, and it was just, yeah, we need to move away from that. I think audiences are getting smarter and they really enjoy authenticity.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely, yeah, I think that's something. I think it was smart that Bump originally cast a little bit older, just because I feel like we could remember what it was like to be sixteen with a sense of humor, Whereas I think if we were actually sixteen, we wouldn't have been able to laugh at ourselves as much and kind of take the piss a little bit out of the teenage experience.
Speaker 1: Yeah, look back at our own high school experiences with a bit of perspective.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and really play it up. And yeah, especially for Olie, I think.
Speaker 1: You know, the back of the class in trouble all the time. But also, we weren't so old that it was weird. It looked weird like a guy with a beard.
Speaker 2: I didn't have the wrinkles.
Speaker 5: And yeah, now it's a different story.
Speaker 1: Those sun marks they're coming through, but that's.
Speaker 2: When they're like, you could get some botox. No, I'm only kidding. I was so excited to organize this chat with the two of you. It was kind of like my pipe dream. I mean, this is honest to God, like bump fantasy. Actually fantasy is probably misleading. That makes it sound, that makes it sound really weird. But I just was so excited to have the two of you together because this show has been in our lives now every year we get to look forward to coming back and there's a bit of ownership over following the story that the true of you have been telling.
Speaker 3: I feel like I just.
Speaker 4: Found that this year, I feel like I've noticed that people are like, oh, we're looking forward to like they kind of have cottoned on to, like, oh, in boxing day, of course it's going to come out. And it just feels like there's more of a following now than after two seasons. You know, people come to expect it as part of their holiday, Christmas holiday experience.
Speaker 3: Really nice.
Speaker 1: It's been a bit weird the way it's all worked out is like at the end of season one, we didn't know if we were going to do another one, and we knew that we were going to do three after two, but we didn't know if the three was going to be the end. So at the end of kind of most seasons it's been like this, this might be it, Like all right, god bye, this might this might be the end of bump, and we don't know until it comes out, and then of course it does, so well, another one gets renewed. So it's been this like, you know, you you hope that it goes again, but there's no, it's not like it in season one. We signed a four season deal and we knew that every year for us it was going to be this this thing that we did, Yeah, but yeah, I agree. This season it's feeling, yeah, like people are getting used to it now. It's like, oh, it's that time of year again, it's Boxing Day.
Speaker 5: It's fine.
Speaker 3: People are really familiar with the characters now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's good writing, though, do you know what I mean? I think that there's some honest to god fantastic collaborating happening behind the scenes to make a show like this pop, Because I mean, I saw Claudia last night. I actually sat next to her at the preview of Expats, and I was talking to her about my nervousness about season four. I have a fear of season four and TV shows that I love because so often it's season four, they're fall over. I didn't say to Claudia last night, but Secret Life of Us season four was terrible. She wasn't in it at that stage.
Speaker 4: She wasn't in it. I feel like, yeah, it wasn't.
Speaker 2: Like I don't know, I was scared. And then you know what, it was so nice because I've watched the first I've watched a big chunk of this series and of season four, which is coming out of Boxing Day, and it just levels up again. There's more conversation and it's deeper. The characters are richer, even with it starting with the bushfires and talking about the climate, do you know what I mean? Like, it's just like the sky's the limit now with what you can do with these characters. And we have an expectation for it to level up every year, and I'm happy to say that this next series levels up again.
Speaker 4: No, the writers are bumps, so smart, and they're so conscious of not turning it into a soapy TV show. They're really trying to stay ahead of the audience, just keep pushing like, Okay, what's relevant now? What are we talking about now? What's in the zeitgeist at the moment. And it does feel like these characters can just be a vessel for literally whatever we want to say, and the writers have a lot to say, so it's it's good in that way.
Speaker 2: I want to start at the beginning because I'm just so excited to have the two of you there, But like, how did you get cast? Like for starters, both of you are phenomenal in these roles. There's a lot of ownership over it. But also the chemistry between the two of you is electrick like, it's it's palpable. How did you guys come across the material and how did you get pasted?
Speaker 4: Well, I auditioned for Kirsty McGregor, the casting director for a different project, So I didn't get that.
Speaker 2: Can we say what that was? Is that bad to Eden?
Speaker 4: Eden, which was being made around the same time as the Stand project, another Stamp project, And Yeah, I just wasn't right for that character. I think that character was played by her, not Sophie Wilde the other the blog.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I actually don't know, just bailed us on the test.
Speaker 4: And but because Kirsty had seen my audition for Eden, she thought to herself, I guess like, oh, this girl would be really good as Cordia Carbon's daughter. And at that time she, I guess, just started to get word of Bump and so by the time it got to me, she already was like quite it wasn't a general call out to me.
Speaker 3: She was quite interested in me already for the role. So she sent me. I kind of jumped straight to the recall stage in a way.
Speaker 4: She sent me like five or six scenes off of that, and I knew that they were kind of interested in me and excited, So I was like, Okay, I've really got to do a good audition for this, and then I sent it in a tape and I got the job.
Speaker 3: I didn't even recall or I know it was chemistry. We didn't chemistry read.
Speaker 2: She living in What is wild to me that they didn't chemistry read the two of you, because.
Speaker 4: The chemistry read Carlos with heaps of different vinces. But we didn't jump on a call until we were already cast weeks later.
Speaker 2: Do you know what? But did you Maybe they cast you? Because I just assumed, Natalie, that when you found out that you got this role, or when you started auditioning and you knew you were playing Claudia's daughter, that you must have gone and watched a lot of her stuff or followed her around, because the nuances that you were picking up and playing and demonstrating, it didn't feel like you're impersonating Claudia carb and it felt like you were her daughter. He felt like you. She genuinely had that mother daughter similarities. Did you go and watch a lot of her old work or were you allowed to follow her around?
Speaker 3: I did, Yeah, I stalked Laudia. I did.
Speaker 4: I was living because I was living in Auckland at the time, and so I had to do the hotel quarantine to come over for a bump, and during the hotel quarantine, I watched all of Love My Way, which I loved.
Speaker 3: I'm obsessed with Love My.
Speaker 4: Way, and so I kind of got an idea of her through that. But I think I think it just happened over time.
Speaker 1: I remember, yeah, I remember you started to adopt her laugh. Yeah, yeah, you guys up and I was like, you're laughing like Claude laughs.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think I just started to become like her across the choot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just by I don't know.
Speaker 5: I think it was just being around her. It was probably a bit of awe as well, so we're just like, oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: Well people talk about it though. I mean I've heard it from people on the set that the two of you are very close and that Claudia has that sort of mentorship with you. Yeah, but there's a really is this soul sister thing happening. There's something very very I don't know organic about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know how that happened. I think we just we just really hit it off from day one, and.
Speaker 4: I remember there were some members of the cast who were like, oh, Claudia Carvin, it's so nice to be on the show.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much. I'm so grateful for being, you know, in your presence, and I think I was just like, you're a bit shit.
Speaker 2: I think someone like Claudia Covin wants though, do you know what I mean? Like, I think she doesn't want anyone sucking up to her. She doesn't want anyone being like, oh, she wants to be challenged, you know. She wants to see the enthusiasm and the you know, the interest that you have in the industry. I think is where she responds most. And I think she can clearly see that there's something in you that I don't know.
Speaker 4: I personally have a really close relationship with my mum, So when someone is cast as my mom, I tend to kind of just instinctively treat them like they're very close to me in a way, like I think the way I spoke to her in scenes and how kind of.
Speaker 5: Yeah, how you endow that person.
Speaker 4: I endow that person with, oh, okay, yeah, this person is my mom, and therefore I don't know they just it's a bit of imagination and it's a bit of I feel like that happens all the time. Like your relationship with the people that you're acting with become very similar to the relationship with the characters awlus.
Speaker 2: Do you feel jealous about this relationship that they have? Do you? Do you have a mentorship on the set of Bump as well?
Speaker 3: Yes, he does. Nom and Tim have adopted especially.
Speaker 5: Ryan Johnson's my mentor.
Speaker 3: Ryan Anger love that. Yeah, he's my idol.
Speaker 1: It was interesting because my Ricardo, who plays my dad, had never acted before and so we we and I had done some stuff, but it was my first big lead role, and we we really I think, leant on each other, like as like we're both in this and like that's just like let's let's lean on each other like a father and a son would in a way, like there was there was a bit of dependence on each other that we were just like let's do our best and let's make this as real as possible.
Speaker 3: And also I feel like he was a mentor for you in terms of like the South American.
Speaker 5: Yeah for sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yes, you didn't speak as good as Spanish.
Speaker 1: Now. Also I didn't know how to dance salsa and yeah, it was it was, it was. Yeah, he was he was great and I think he but in the same way that he was. It felt like he was leaning on me too in terms of the acting stuff, which which felt like it was a two way relationship. It wasn't like I was just leaning on him all the time. It was it was a really nice lab. It was a nice collab there with me and Ricarda.
Speaker 2: Well. I don't want to give anything away, but there's some scenes in this latest season where you two you were there with your father and feels very genuine. And I remember Claudia saying something about the fact that they chose some actors for the very first season to make it the first time actors.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: They didn't go and try and find these recognizable names that to be able to create this multicultural universe that worked. They did audition and find first time actors, you know. And I think there's something in that maybe as to why the community works with this show. And I think community is the right word even today.
Speaker 1: The launch for season four, we were at Bajakantina and Glebe and it was most of the South American cast were there, and most of them are community cast, like Claudia de Gusti, who plays Pernadita, community cast.
Speaker 5: I mean, obviously Plo done.
Speaker 3: Lost facting before, we're not really here.
Speaker 1: But Ricardo was there too, and then and there there was something to be said about just like one hundred yeah, yeah, yeah, Miguel, we're all it just feels like we're just.
Speaker 5: A bunch of normal people having to dance.
Speaker 1: We were just like dancing, eating up and others and like there were fans and stuff there, but it was just like everyone come in and together the others and there's it feels like there's no ego or anything like that.
Speaker 3: I think there's zero ego set.
Speaker 2: I think it's authenticity that must be to me, that's what that's the word that comes to mind because and you know, it doesn't always happen like that. You do often speak to actors and they'll be like, we had an amazing time on set, and that it doesn't work on camera where for this particular series, it's just popping. And it's why we all want to be a part of community and it's why Bump works and we want season four, we want season five, we want season six because we're as an audience feel included in this community and it's good content to feel like that.
Speaker 5: Something to be said about the also the South American culture. I don't I want to.
Speaker 1: Blame it all on that, but there is something about the energy and the warmth that comes when the Hernando's family are together.
Speaker 3: And yeah, true, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like every day that it's a Honande's day, Like if we're at the Henando's house or a Ross's house, it's.
Speaker 5: Like it's there's just something special.
Speaker 1: There's something special that like maybe isn't there on other days with I remember.
Speaker 4: In season one, especially the episodes that were directed by Letitia whose Aretion Timmy, and so the set was kind of like in like everyone was speaking Spanish, that the crew was speaking Spanish because Carolina was focus puller, Letty was talking and Spanish to all the actors, and yeah, those days just felt like just yeah, there was some kind of warmth connection fun.
Speaker 1: It was just and that stuff that the camera doesn't lie, that's the camera picks up on that stuff. And I think that's what it is that you're talking about, that you that you feel, yeah when you're watching it.
Speaker 2: Well, I think Dan Edwards is making the most of the real bonds that are happening. You know, he's threading that you know, I think that must be what's happening there where there's some decisions being made on keeping the cameras on actors longer because you know, there's there's a vibe there. I guess I hate the word vibe. That's a terrible word.
Speaker 4: Hopefully a lot of like real there's a lot of like spontaneous things that happen and the camera captures it.
Speaker 2: I guess I don't want to pry about your personal lives, but can I just say about the chemistry between the two of you. So you've both been cast in this, you've both met, Can you talk to me about the initial stages of the two of you working together and the relationship that you guys were having at that point.
Speaker 3: We met on Zoom.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we met on Zoom. And I feel like the way season the arc of season one panned out, it was very kind of similar because the first it feels like the first couple weeks, a lot of our stuff was actually quite separate. And that's kind of how season the trajectory of season one goes. You kind of have the traumas Davis family dealing with this pregnancy, and then have the Hernandez family who are dealing with the fact that they founder that their son is the father, and.
Speaker 4: There's a bit of we only really chat for the first time in episode four or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the first time that these two characters going together, and that was a bit.
Speaker 5: That's kind of what it felt like working together.
Speaker 1: It was like we would pass each other on set, like, hey, here you go on and I had heard great things about NAT's performance.
Speaker 3: All we hear from the crew like like, oh, flo game.
Speaker 2: And wait till you meet this guy. Yeah, And then it'd start to feel competitive, wouldn't you. You'd be like, oh, I got the female lead's going to be doing better than me.
Speaker 5: Bro I'm good with her the competition.
Speaker 1: No, but I was feeling like kind of nervous. I was kind of like, I hope I'm doing my bit because I'm not like, I don't know about you. But I wasn't hearing that I was doing great things.
Speaker 3: Oh I was hearing that for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I guess I know that in hindsight now from telling me. But at the time, all I was hearing was that Nat was amazing, and I was like, I hope I'm doing the show dressers, I'm doing my character Justice. I hope when I start doing scenes with her that I'm watching her, you know, because but I.
Speaker 4: Think that there was this kind of shared load, Like I think that we both felt like, Okay, we're carrying a new TV show and it's you know, Claudia Carbon and stand and there.
Speaker 2: Would have been a lot of pressure on the two of you independently, So I guess you could get together and and share that load, and yeah, I feel as much pressure.
Speaker 3: I guess like we just kind of like a real kind of I see you. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think.
Speaker 1: I think by the time we started having scenes together properly, Yeah, and we started to explain that relationship dynamic, we were really leaning on each other at that point and just like I got you, you got me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, let's just trust.
Speaker 3: We had a very similar way of working from the ke. We both were very.
Speaker 1: It's funny because we have we have very different processes as individual artists. Yeah, but I think a very similar attitude on attitude on.
Speaker 5: Set of like let's get this the best it can be.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, we're both very investigative and like what's what is this scene?
Speaker 3: When it's not working, we like freak out.
Speaker 1: Kind of going by our heads and like look at each other and like it's a couple of times in season one where I would just part and you see that go like looks off into the distance, and I'm like.
Speaker 5: What's the wrong?
Speaker 3: What's happening for the scene?
Speaker 5: Like what's what's what? What is it? What is it? And then we kind of start to you know, there's that.
Speaker 3: We unpack it, we go again, and.
Speaker 5: Then we go again. Scene gets better. But there's a couple of.
Speaker 4: Times as well where we didn't get to the stage that we were happy, and then we'd have to go home and we'd call each.
Speaker 2: Other all the way home and be like that's so bad and it's your fault. No, no, no, that's cruse fault.
Speaker 5: You know, you just start think.
Speaker 4: It was just like a shared goal of making it as good as possible, and we had similar taste and you know, we don't have the same process, but we do have very similar values on set. Yeah, we both like really want to keep it live.
Speaker 3: We love listening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's what Claudia was saying. Acting really is listening. It is about learning the lines, but so much of your characters are listening to what the other actor is doing, what the other person is doing. Ultimately, I think there are.
Speaker 4: So many characters on the show that are so funny and just the things they can do with their face and their voice, and they're kind of like comedy specialist, specialist, like they're really.
Speaker 3: Good at doing a comedy.
Speaker 4: And I think that both of us were kind of like that wasn't what we were good at, or didn't we just weren't that kind of actor. We were both actors who were like, Okay, I'm going to look at you, you're going to look at me.
Speaker 3: We're gonna make this really real.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah yeah, But you know, it's so funny. I didn't know this until recently from doing this podcast, but the actors that I like the most have something in common, and that is curiosity. I think if you're a good actor. To me, what I think lifts on screen is when that actor is curious. Because if you're being curious in your role and of the people you're working with, the nuances work better. Well.
Speaker 5: Your attention is on the other person of the scene.
Speaker 1: Your attention is not on yourself, it's on what's happening in front of you, and then you're responding to that, and then that's what creates the moment and the truth.
Speaker 4: There was actually something that I learned a drama school, Like an exercise that we used to do sometimes is rather than going into a new scene with like an idea or a direction, you go into the scene with a question. Rather than going, Okay, I'm going to play Allie a bit like more scared. You go into the scene going is always slightly afraid of what Santi will say, you know what I mean. Like it's which I always found really helpful because you're not kind of going, I'm going to play this, You're going.
Speaker 3: I'm going to wonder about this during the scene.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And then it's playing in the background and people feel that.
Speaker 1: And if you if you're feeling uncomfortable and your character is not supposed to be uncomfortable, then that's what's going to be. That's what the audience is going to read. So it's like it's about doing your character that the ultimate justice and existing in the given circumstances that your character is in.
Speaker 5: Like fully, this is how I work.
Speaker 1: It's like you fully believe that what's happening right now in the scene is happening in real life, and you're responding to that as truthfully as you can.
Speaker 2: And that's at some point though from doing this. The obvious question here at this point is do you two, as people, not as actors, fall in love together?
Speaker 1: That that that that's like, yeah, it's a really good question. I think I think you do, but not in a romantic way like like I think I think.
Speaker 2: You as actors would be in love. Like I said, obviously you are very good actors. These characters are in love. So there's authentic feelings of love obviously there. But I'm curious about the two of you. I'm like, does being an actor and playing these characters do it come off screen? Does it translate? Does it transfer into your real life?
Speaker 1: There's a genuine adoration that I have for Nat and that's that exists for real and I think that's probably what you're seeing that you're watching Santi have for Ali.
Speaker 5: But because of the way the script is.
Speaker 1: And you know, the storytelling that is being layered on top of that, costumes that all that type of stuff, the given circumstances that the audience takes that and goes, oh, yeah, they're in love. The respect and the enjoyment that I that I that I feel when I'm with nat I think that's probably what's convinced such a convincing portrayal of.
Speaker 4: Its interesting because we've also been with other people on the show, and I've been with other people and other projects, and so was Carlos, And it's interesting.
Speaker 3: We talk about this a bit too, because it's like part of like it's just like our real relationship.
Speaker 4: My real relationship with Claudia Book is on screen with her as my mum. My real relationship with Angus is on screen with him as my dad, My real relationship with oh No, a version of my relationship with Christian is on screen with Bowie.
Speaker 3: But I think with partners.
Speaker 4: It's interesting because I also had to act with Harry Greenwood in season three, and I really like Harry Greenwood.
Speaker 3: As a person.
Speaker 4: I think he's hilarious and I really enjoyed being on set with him. And I think they originally wrote him to be like kind of as like dorky, kind of a bit gross, like slimy guy that Ollie really shouldn't sleep with, but she.
Speaker 3: Does because she sad.
Speaker 4: And I think because we got on so well, then the relationship actually looked on screen like a really true friendship, and so then that kind of informed, that kind of informed what they then did with it, And I don't think it was their intention on the outset, but as we were shooting, they were kind of like, oh, Okay, this is what where, this is what it is. And I thought, as as Olie, I was like, you know, she is in love with this character in a way, she is in love with Michael, but it's just like not so romantic or not so.
Speaker 2: She's not it works for the story.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, physically maybe then yeah, their chemistry isn't so hot.
Speaker 5: And on the contrary, if you're in a scene with someone who who you need to despise or you need to have like deep hatred for it, kind of it's still that that closeness.
Speaker 1: And that real friendship and adoration if you want to use that word. That kind of is just as important in a scene where you need to be enemies with someone because the closer you are with that actor, at least in my experience, the more trust there is to go there fully and the more space that there is that you can hold for the other actor to go don't worry, you can go for my neck, you can go for the juggular, and like there's a and I think it's the same thing where it's like on character like love relationships, it's like the more trust that's there, and there is so much trust between us, the more that we both feel comfortable and safe enough to go there. And I think there is a deep trust with Nat and I.
Speaker 4: Also, I think we've done three four seasons now, we've been doing this for three years. It's kind of like we've we We have also followed Oli santi journey. So Olie is in love with Santi, so that means I know what it is like to be in love with I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's weird, it's so MULDI layered, and I keep trying to work it out. I just think people are so curious about it because it's the relationship with these characters leaks off the screen, you have a relationship outside of the show.
Speaker 4: I can't no spoilers, but there was one particular moment and we were crying these real tears and it wasn't.
Speaker 3: It wasn't because it wasn't because Nat. Oh, how do I describe.
Speaker 5: This without giving the spoiler?
Speaker 3: Yeah, without being a spoiler.
Speaker 2: It was because it's hard to talk about without doing that. I mean it's hard to talk about even if we did talk about spoilans, it just felt like.
Speaker 1: The emotion there was there was a truth, There was a there was a truthful emotion that was circulating between the two of us, and that existed separate to what the story was.
Speaker 5: Okay, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: And so whatever's happening in the story, we're not going to say because that's a spoiler. What was happening between us was definitely like real, but it was it was like a different But.
Speaker 4: What I'm also saying is like it was emotional because I was empathizing with Ollie. Like I didn't think it was happening to me, but I've been so invested in Ollie's story I knew how much the moment, what the moment.
Speaker 3: Meant for her.
Speaker 4: That as Ollie, and as someone who's kind of owned Ollie for three years, I could feel what I empathized with. What it's like, you know, when you watch a movie and you cry for another character, it's like, I feel like you're them, Like it's like watching the movie of your character and you're invested in feeling everything your characters feeling.
Speaker 2: Do you want the characters to stay together? Like, is there like a feeling that you two have? I mean, season three, we saw the you two apart. We saw these characters apart, and it was hard to watch because we as an audience, we want these characters together. It is like that, you know, The Nanny with mister Sheffield, which is a terrible I don't know why my analogies are so bad today, because you guys probably didn't watch The Nanny. Whose characters that you guys grew up watching, where there's the will they won't they get together, but the audience wants them to be together. Do you guys have shows that you watched?
Speaker 4: The first one that comes to mind, and I'm not so proud of this is Blake Lively and Penn Badgeling and The Girl.
Speaker 2: I just love that you're honest about that. Of course people are going to know that.
Speaker 5: I was small Bill Clark Lewis Lane.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right.
Speaker 2: Do you know what's the best one is Alex and Evan from Secret Life of Us. The first few seasons of that. I don't know if you watched it, but they weren't really together ever, but there was tension there and you wanted them to be together. I guess I've deviated so far away from this now. But do you guys want these two characters to stay together because we could do more seasons of Bump.
Speaker 4: I think my feeling is that the writers don't want to, like there's only so much you can kind of keep two characters apart, and comes like, Okay, now we're writing.
Speaker 5: A TV show, you know, so be a little bit.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I think that do I want them ultimately to be together?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Because I feel like, as Carlos, I can look outside of it and I go, I care so much about Santi and I want what's best for Sarti and I know that like that's with only being ultimately being in this family is what's yeah, is what I is what I want, yeah to be to have Carlos wants Santy to have that.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 1: I do really feel that way, yeah, and so yeah, I yeah, absolutely, yeah.
Speaker 5: I think like I think they're.
Speaker 3: A good match.
Speaker 2: Like I think they are a good match.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think what's so interesting is because as well is they're so different, and I think that's like that's so interesting.
Speaker 2: That's what makes it work though. I think that, you know, that's in my life, my partner is an introvert. I am extroverted. We both do very different things for work with very fundamentally different people, but we do have values similar values, and I think that's where it needs to connect. You need to be quite different in lots of other ways, but family is important for both my partner and I. So when those values match up all the things in the quirks and stuff that we have different just allows us to be quite well suited.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think they balance each other.
Speaker 4: Like if Ollie didn't have Santi and everything that Santi has brought into her life, like his entire family, I think she could just I think she could just go so far into her head and not have like a happy life, but not not be so connected to people. And so I think, you know, she's so ambitious that she would probably just work.
Speaker 3: All the time.
Speaker 1: And Yeah, there's something to be said about, Like I feel like that's where the dramaized in what you were saying about, like the values, and I feel like that's what's that's what's interesting that season four is like Oli and Santi's values, Like that's that's what they're sort of fighting for, that they're fighting for what they believe. You know what I mean, and that's I think in a way, it's kind of more interesting than will they want they It's like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like how, like how how will they right?
Speaker 5: They want it?
Speaker 1: They want to do this, but how are they going to do how are they going to navigate it in a way that.
Speaker 2: There's some really realistic fighting. By the way, in season four, I think anyone who's ever been in a relationship will be watching season four and see some some problems about And that's what's so amazing about season four to tease, this is the best way possible, you guys, as characters are exploring things like what it's like to be a dad and what it's like to be the woman bringing in the money, and these flip the flipping of all of that that's really powerful.
Speaker 4: I thought, that's the stuff that breaks up couples more so than oh someone you know, someone came to bit and created a wedge between them, started flirting with Santi and then you know, like it like outside intruders. I feel like usually it's like just the little things.
Speaker 2: Like but that's real life. That's what people will see these days, and that's the seat. This season does that extraordinarily well. It holds a mirror up against us in society and about the things that bother us in our own relationship, and we're always trying to work out who we are and the fact that there's two people in a relationship, you know, those things they go bump in the night.
Speaker 1: So that's something that we kind of set out to do this season. We were like, let's how let's let's make this like a little mission of ours to show.
Speaker 5: Like how to show a really realistic betrayal of.
Speaker 1: What a couple who have been together for like seven years, seven years and what that looks like.
Speaker 2: I'm running out of time, and I've really not even asked half the questions that I prepared, But we've gone in a place where I feel really appreciative of how open and how honest you guys have been answering these questions and exploring relationships and how you two work together. I think is really interesting and really quite powerful and.
Speaker 3: Nice for us. Such nice deep questions.
Speaker 1: Questions, because sometimes this stuff can be a little bit it's nice to.
Speaker 5: Actually get into the grid of it with someone.
Speaker 2: So thanks, let's have a conversation about it. Well before you guys go, I'd have to ask you. There's a question I ask everyone who joins the podcast. I don't know if one of you wants to take it or you both do, but I ask it for every podcast. This is three episode, three hundred and sixty one. So what is something from behind the scene, something that we as an audience won't see, or something we don't know that you could share. That's kind of like a behind the scenes secret of making Bump great question?
Speaker 3: What is something that happens behind the scene that's really cool to share.
Speaker 4: We do shoot Bump a lot quicker than I think people think, audiences think. We shoot an episode about every three days.
Speaker 2: Wow, so the whole.
Speaker 3: Shoot is about six weeks, seven seven weeks.
Speaker 5: It's always it's always seven weeks, and we end up extending it by like one day.
Speaker 3: So ten episodes in thirty five days I think.
Speaker 4: In Yeah, every three and a half days we shoot an episode, which some on season four Sundays we shot like twelve minutes, which is almost half an episode.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we're moving quick, moving, we move quickly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it feels like we've we've had to move quicker as we've done more seasons, which you would think is the opposite. You would think as we do more seasons, we get a bigger budget and we have more time.
Speaker 2: But it doesn't work like that anymore, you know, And it's sad because you know, scripted drama in Australia to me is my jam. It's my favorite thing in the whole world. Like, I just feel alive. I think audiences feel alive if they take the time to watch it, because the scripted drama that we have in this country represents who we are. And there's something very powerful about seeing yourself on screen, I.
Speaker 5: Think, hmmmm, And and you don't want to when.
Speaker 1: I think we're aware of that, We're aware of that sort of responsibility that we have, and I think we feel it's sometimes it's a bit stressful because we don't have a lot of time and we want.
Speaker 5: To do that justice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it can, it can, And I don't one thing is I feel like it's just Australian productions in general, but we don't we don't get a lot of time.
Speaker 5: I don't get a lot of time on anything that I work on here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I feel like some people love that. I don't.
Speaker 4: Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like Claudia likes that. Yeah, I think Claudia likes it. Okay, we're on, Like, let's.
Speaker 2: Go, let's get it done.
Speaker 3: And move on. You know, let's keep it, because you're saying she likes that challenge.
Speaker 5: She did that. Petrol was Lena, right, and it was like long setups.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I had what's his name? Oh, and I'm obsessed with him, Ryan Kare. I had Ryan Kare on the podcast to talk about his role in Limbo and he came straight from doing like the Game of Thrones prequel, and so he was saying that some shots, some scenes would take three days to set up, and he was like, it's so good to come back to Australia and shoot. And yeah, He's like, there's something very stilted about just getting three lines of dialogue out because the sets and the the lighting and all of this and the locations takes precedents.
Speaker 3: You know. Yeah, it's true.
Speaker 4: Something that I really like about Bump is that I don't have any downtime. I'm not I'm not like sitting in my chair for eight hours waiting to.
Speaker 1: Go on set.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Once once we're on set, it's.
Speaker 2: Like go, go, go and do it.
Speaker 5: It's action, next one, next one.
Speaker 4: There's A fun fact that we can tell you about, but making a bump I feel like a fun fact is that we've had pretty much the same crew for four seasons, like very similar directors, ads, the camera cinematographers. Margie Beattie, who was our first ad for the first two seasons, directed an episode in season three. There's been a lot of like crew being lifted up through the show creator has stepped up as a producer.
Speaker 3: What else I feel like the other people have.
Speaker 2: Been I think there's some good secrets in there, and I'm happy with it. I'm happy that I'm very happy with the track. Guys. I literally this is as I said to you, fantasy was the wrong term. This is my ultimate bump.
Speaker 5: I don't know the right show man. You own that, all right.
Speaker 2: It's my fantasy to sit here and talk to you two people about this particular show. Like I am obsessed with this show and I know so many people who love it just as much as I do. So I just want to say thank you both so much for your generosity with your time and yeah and chatting chatting with me today, It's been surreal.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: I'll let you guys go, I'll chat to you later,