Speaker 1: Flex and Frooms, Flex and Frooms. This is the Flex and Frooms catch up podcast.
Speaker 2: Hear you, welcome back to the show.
Speaker 1: It is Flex and Frooms. I'm currently looking for a little bit of chocolate. I every time we come in here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you like ferociously looking for the chocolate.
Speaker 4: A wow. Just hit me odd because we're talking about period trackers. But you said you're one day away from ovulating, So I guess I.
Speaker 3: Do what you want, killing it, killing it.
Speaker 4: As always, we don't really have an update from for me about the neighbor who left the bin bin juice being outside the bar, but there is another apartment update. It involves an aggressive noe one that threw me wrote you'll find out soon.
Speaker 3: Here's the party.
Speaker 1: You're listening to, Flex and Frooms, m Kata.
Speaker 2: The other day, I was having quite a pieceful morning. The birds were chirping et al.
Speaker 1: I trot down my little.
Speaker 2: Hallway to the front door of the fourier of my building. Why do I see a note? And instantly a rush of panic envelopes my body and I think have I done something wrong?
Speaker 3: What was it? Said?
Speaker 2: Unit seven on a four paper? Yeah, babe, it's written. It says Unit seven. I'm not Unit seven, thankfully, but it is rather close. Some would say, please turn down your music next time you have an afters till seven am.
Speaker 1: I said, is that the.
Speaker 3: Extent of the note?
Speaker 1: That's it?
Speaker 3: You said this was an aggressive note?
Speaker 1: That's aggressive? Is it that? Having said got you cap sluck? It's ripped out of a page?
Speaker 3: So how else?
Speaker 4: Okay, what would be the appropriate way to get the response you need?
Speaker 2: It would be Unit seven, appreciate that you're having an afters. It sounded really fun, but next time when it gets to seven am, turn it down.
Speaker 1: Please.
Speaker 4: That's not working on me if I'm Unit seven. I got near it until seven am, and then I got a gentle reminder to turn the music down for next time. It's out of my brain as quickly as I read it. I think sometimes you need a little bit of fear and discomfort to get the job done.
Speaker 1: Well, I've got two questions. Number one, should the person who wrote the note sign off? Sign off?
Speaker 2: Because now I feel like we're all bullying Unit seven. I wasn't even there to listen. I quite would have enjoyed a little bit of party.
Speaker 1: In the middle. It's been a bit flat lately, it's been a bit flat of lately.
Speaker 2: However, I get home, I read the note, I go to have a little chill time on the couch.
Speaker 1: Why is it one pm? And there's a man howling like a wolf? Interimiately, he goes, oh.
Speaker 2: I'm sitting in my house and go oh, And I'm like, if someone having it, like in the building somewhere opposite my apartment.
Speaker 1: I hear a man howling and also barking like a dog.
Speaker 2: Okay, kink getting seven am psychosis and we've all.
Speaker 3: Been there, so we just the man go to the barking phase of the trip.
Speaker 2: Anyway, all I'll say is I would have loved the interconnected drama had they put sign off Unit four.
Speaker 1: No way, you wouldn't.
Speaker 4: Would you never sign off? It's like, yeah, everyone trust no one?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: See what I mean now that I think we're all bullying them, But I don't know how where was I?
Speaker 4: If you sign off the note, it feels personal, and I think the person who wrote the note wanted to feel civic, like, this is your responsibility as a person who lives in a place where other people live.
Speaker 3: Turn the music down.
Speaker 1: I'd love to know what music they listening to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, send them a note follow up?
Speaker 2: So, hey, you know seven, can I get the track ID four IM four twenty am.
Speaker 4: That was a banger. Comprehension is open. We've got a big thought for you. A couple of weeks ago before we went on break from me and now we're discussing period tracking apps. You may or may not know. I'm very into my menstrual cycle turn twenty nine. Got bored of not knowing that every month, the aggressive diarrhea mood swings was a signal that I was going to get my period, and so now I'm into cycle sinking and understanding what I need to be doing at different parts of my cycle to optimize myself. Maybe my best self, be my favorite self.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: This interest has caused me to encourage friends of mine to download period tracking apps so we can share this information so I can be more mindful about where they are and what they're feeling. But it's out of this conversation about what things in our life should be payballed. As you know, everything is a subscription model. These days, we're going to own nothing and be happy. I took the question to the internet and said, okay, given that things are going to cost us, and we seem to be in a bit of a dispute about what things should be paywalled. Let's talk about it today. The answers will confuse you and concern you. But here's what I discovered overall, based on the people in my dms on Instagram, they said, the things that should be paywalled include, but are not limited to, anything being informed by an expert in their field.
Speaker 3: Well where.
Speaker 4: They said Jim progress pics. I have a friend he only posts his g updates on the close friends little treat for us like that, it's good to see it's going well. Adult content, adult sexual content, cultural education specifically, anything that's like inherently quite traumatic. People shouldn't be retraumatized for freeze the logic behind that if anything that costs the person or they had to put a particularly egregious amount of effort into producing anything that requires labor and has a strategy behind it. Now, this feels like two very extreme ends of spectrums, from adult sexual content to gym progress pictures. But somebody sent us a really really amazing voice memo on their opinion, and I think we should all listen to it right now.
Speaker 3: Place hello on what in our lives should be paywared.
Speaker 5: I'm thinking, is it a fair model to be like any dynamic where me, the consumer the audience wants to know a detailed information about you that I would otherwise need to have invested time, vulnerability, discomfort, conversations, conflict to have gotten to know about you in like a one to one interpersonal direct relationship with you. If I'm asking to know that about you with that I call that other stuff, then money is what needs to be invested. That could be anything as like do you have siblings?
Speaker 3: I love living under a flight path? Or do that to yah?
Speaker 4: Won't it give me marri feel? But there's something to that. And you know, when we talk about paywalling, could be anything from subscriptions to mood tickets. Let's not go to detailed. This person in particular is talking about content and this idea that people want increasing levels of intimacy for free and for free and for free. If you weren't going to get this information from me, had we not have had some kind of vulnerable conversation, emotional conversation, there was some conflict involved or whatever, or this mutual exchange, maybe you should pay for access. Maybe I don't know we're still we're workshopping. It's early days. I love this flex.
Speaker 2: Thank you for that voice note whoever sent that, appreciate you. Shout out recently everybody, I got interested in my cycle twin my period cycle, mynstral cycle, the time of the month, and I recently learned if you get your period, your hormone cycle is across.
Speaker 3: Twenty eight days.
Speaker 4: If you have an average hormone cycle, please, if you've got PCOS.
Speaker 3: Zone, come for the girls please.
Speaker 4: Whereas if you assist man, it's twenty four hours. Do with that information what you will.
Speaker 2: I'm still get to go more into what it means for assists man to have twenty four hours.
Speaker 3: Side start with understanding yours as a priority. We'll get to that letter.
Speaker 2: We'll get to that, but I would like to get to that as something.
Speaker 3: Oh, we're definitely gonna get We need we need a man on the show, but we don't.
Speaker 1: We don't, but no, I think it would be nice.
Speaker 3: No man.
Speaker 4: Producer Mickey is convinced that we can't have a man on the show because they would hate us. Think we create quite a safe space for this man to flourish. But you've been downloading period tracker apps and have been distressed at what you've uncovered?
Speaker 2: Absolutely so here I am plotting along every single day, diligent, diligently extra bloats today.
Speaker 1: What's your mood? Headache? Sex drive? Have you done anything naughty?
Speaker 3: Not naughty?
Speaker 1: Naughty? Playing but not?
Speaker 3: Can you plan?
Speaker 1: Plank? Have you plate? Have you pleaded with yourself.
Speaker 3: With a partner, with a partner? Not you blushing? Grow up?
Speaker 1: Stop it?
Speaker 2: So run through anyway here I am tracking all of my stuff, being so excited. Then I see an article on pedestrian TV and it says that certain period trackers.
Speaker 1: Are selling your data.
Speaker 2: The data is not safe and they can be used perhaps to up your insurance premiums or do all sorts of unto.
Speaker 4: I mean, let's read the headline concerning unsafe and unfair expert slam. Popular period track apps are being dodgy ap And here's the thing. As someone who believes that privacy is a myth, even though I'm anti doc sing, it doesn't surprise me that this data is being used. As we have said before and many have said before us, if the app is free, you are the product. But in this case, if you're paying for the app. You also might be the product when they sell your data.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, guys, I got very up in arms about this article instantly message the.
Speaker 4: App the app in question question Karen is not just a meme for for me, it's a way of life.
Speaker 2: I said, Hello, I recently downloaded redacted app using the paid subscription.
Speaker 1: However, have just read some alarming.
Speaker 2: News about your app and what a refund and for all my.
Speaker 1: Data to be deleted? Please please let me know how best.
Speaker 3: Please, I'm back.
Speaker 1: And now you know now I don't want to delete the app. Huh?
Speaker 2: Then then we would we would messing on WhatsApp and Plex says, oh, don't worry about this, and I'm oh god, okay sent that email on Hi Lucinda, thank you for using this app and contacting us.
Speaker 4: We're sorry to hear that you experienced difficulties with subscription cancelation and we're here to help you. Then they proceed to give through me instructions on how to unsubscribe and request a refund, and did not give any information on how to.
Speaker 3: Remove all your data from the app.
Speaker 4: This feels like a stock, standard copy and paste moment. This doesn't feel sincere or custom. It's definitely not bespoke and it's not one of one. You can't trust any of these apps because they're not going to be truthful about what they're using it or how they're using it. And like you said, the levels of exploitation are exponential.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I do. Why did you create this app?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Because you care about people knowing when their periods are remiss to not share that the app in question if you want to do a bit of research for yourself. We have done our legal training kind of know that defamation is something that we're not comfortable with. But this is a popular period tracking app that also came under fire during Roe v. Wade about how they were using this information to dos people who were receiving illegal abortions. It's very important information to know whether you do or do not have a period. I think it's very fascinating that a big part of the population is going through something that is just which.
Speaker 3: Is really amazing to know, like we're all having such a shared experience. We all feel so separate. No, babes, if you're ovulating, I know exactly what you're going through. Yeah, I know exactly.
Speaker 1: I think I am right now.
Speaker 4: Just show so jealous would it would I'm currently mentuating, but you know it's neither here nor They'll get through it. Thank you, thank you, thank you for listening, and we will continue to talk about this. If you feel like it's gone over your head, don't stress. Life is like a recorder.
Speaker 1: It never stops.
Speaker 6: Frumno through me, boo, Mommy likes mom.
Speaker 2: You're listening to flex and Rooms on.
Speaker 4: Cater Fear not everyone. We're not talking about athleticism. We're talking about philosophy and psychology in a way that you'll enjoy, I promise.
Speaker 3: You from me.
Speaker 4: You have you heard of the swimmers fallacy? Absolutely not swimmers fallacy. It's also called the swimmer's body illusion. It's a cognitive bias. It's basically a system error in your brain that makes you view the world slightly different to the way.
Speaker 3: The world actually is.
Speaker 4: We all experience cognitive biases, right, So this one is basically where you attribute a trait, a physical trait, a character trait to a certain activity and not the way.
Speaker 3: Somebody actually is.
Speaker 4: So you know how people look at the bodies of swimmers and they say, if I want to have broad shoulders and a lean body and be tall, I need to start swimming more, right, And if I want to be really proficient at swimming, I need to swim a lot.
Speaker 3: Get that body.
Speaker 4: I'll be better, not considering that maybe all the competitive swimmers that you're looking at are competitive swimmers because their bodies are made in a way that makes it easier.
Speaker 3: For them to be good at that activity.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: And so what happens is that we as a people, especially when it comes to not just sport, but the way we viewed success and the way that we view optimized people. People who are really good at what they do, we assume that they get good and then they do right. So that person got good at public speaking because they work in social media, or.
Speaker 1: They work in social media.
Speaker 3: Because they're good at public speaking.
Speaker 1: They're getting up right.
Speaker 4: That person must have gotten their social skills from working in bartending, or they were drawn to the industry because they're social. And the tricky thing about it is, you know, of course, everything is on an individual basis. You can't really know the ins and out of why someone is good or what we can attribute their success to. But I think it's a really simple way to like snap yourself out of this idea that the reason why you don't have this thing that you desire, is because you're not capable or you don't have the makeup. It's like sometimes it's just the reality of the situation. And I feel like I'm on my journey of trying to not oversimplify things but just like simplify it and think, oh, my goodness, perhaps that person is good at that.
Speaker 3: Because like they're just built that way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I think it's a real human error to see something just because we can see it, we can be it. I think, like I've heard that quote, if you can see it, can achieve it in some ways. Yeah, definitely, but to the level of excellence that you're observing, maybe just not built that way.
Speaker 3: And that's also, okay.
Speaker 2: A soothing to me, right, Okay, to know like what is within your bounds.
Speaker 4: Yes, And also you can turn it on yourself, like you know how. For me, when people ask me a lot about career success, right, I always say, now, like I don't like to do hard work. That will work hard, but I don't like to do hard work. And like I'm very specific about the work that I do. Now it's like not pushing myself outside of my comfort zone. I'm not going to learn some random jarg and to go do some random hosting gig. It's just not what I want to do because I'm well aware of what I'm good at, and I'll just double down on that, as opposed to being like, because I'm so good at plenty of things, I'll just learn another skill.
Speaker 3: Not today, please, I want to be comfortable.
Speaker 4: So you want to do some extra googling the swimmers fallacy, the swimmer's body illusion, or just google any cognitive bias, and I swear it'll make your life easier.
Speaker 3: We all fall for it. Crazy. It's a myth.
Speaker 2: We often get little tiny voice notes or perhaps little paragraphs on our Instagram page. It's flex and frooms. The moderator is Mickeyani how much beloved and not benign?
Speaker 3: Whoa?
Speaker 1: WHOA?
Speaker 3: Malign?
Speaker 1: Malignant?
Speaker 3: Whoa worse? She's not a tumor, she's not a tumor much What are.
Speaker 1: You trying to say?
Speaker 2: I just wanted to use the word that would look good. Beloved, the much beloved? What's it called when someone is hard done by?
Speaker 3: Mickey? Hard done by?
Speaker 1: I'm feeling it were an attack.
Speaker 2: This is an in real time assessment. So Mickey read a DM that was sent to us. I'm going to read it out again. Flex and frooms on Instagram if you want to send a similar note, Frumiolo and Flexerini. Given your love for debating and spilling real tea on real ty amazing, I think you need to expand your horizons beyond Gavin Rubinstein and Simon Cohen, your hubbies. So just reverence everyone Lux Listing stars, Gavin Rubinstein and Simon Cohen, we are big fans of you.
Speaker 1: At the show, they'd be listening.
Speaker 2: I mean they've got they've got car, often in the car going to listings N.
Speaker 1: Six point one. Switch it on, boys.
Speaker 2: May I introduce you to the real hero of Lux Listings, the property market and the world at large, Michael Pallier. Michael is a background character of sorts on Lux Listings, but I think he warrants a deep on the potty, captured by his happy, humble disposition amongst the ego fest Doggie dog world of Lust Listings. I stumbled upon his day in the life on YouTube. Dyk, did you know Michael is actually the one responsive for the sale of Sydney's most expensive house?
Speaker 3: Why is he a background character?
Speaker 1: Then zooming out.
Speaker 2: I believe Michael can teach us a lot about life. Lead with kindness, always, don't be afraid to go against the grain, and you can be a boss successful while also being soft and sensitive. Yeah, also that not all real estate agents are vibe terrorists.
Speaker 1: Watch this video, Mickey has got a grab. Play the tape.
Speaker 5: This is our office and we'll bring the clients in here. A lot of meetings in this office.
Speaker 6: And it works really well. Andrew has just had a good week.
Speaker 5: He sold a house for confidentially around thirty million dollars.
Speaker 1: Winners of grinners.
Speaker 2: I started left school and started at the start of nineteen eighty four.
Speaker 3: That's an apprentice with roll for Royston to me and.
Speaker 4: The sweety Piet And you know what, I do agree there is something about someone with a gentle disposition that I don't know if we.
Speaker 1: Can learn winners.
Speaker 3: Some of us just have an abrasive vibe.
Speaker 6: I would say, I don't so the job brought out of me that was definitely more of a Michael type. Well when you were five, Actually I should tear all my clothes off and run around the house.
Speaker 4: I just I think we can grow into a Michael Pallier disposition and I would like to, but I'm surprised.
Speaker 2: He started off as a car dealer and he's like that, that is that is the real dog eat dog world.
Speaker 1: This is it.
Speaker 3: He's built different.
Speaker 2: He is, yeah, selling roles, roster, selling houses. God, he'd be making a bag. Yeah, good on him.
Speaker 1: So yeah, Michael Pallier.
Speaker 2: If you have a multimillion dollar lux listening in Sydney, yep, we endorse Michael Pallier as you're next sad.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. You've been listening to The Flex and Froom's daily podcast. For more, tune in on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.