Speaker 1: It's in the news today, but it was actually on TV Reload the podcast last week.
Speaker 2: They might welcome back to TV Reload. My name's Benjamin Norris, and on this podcast I go behind the scenes with the biggest players in television. Each episode you will get a front row seat with content makers like executive producers, writers, editors and casting agents, plus the talent that we see on our screens. TV Reload reloads the shows that you are currently watching and gives you a better insight at our television industry and streaming services today. On the podcast, I have the gorgeously talented ben otherwise known as Carla from Bankstown joining me. From Celebrity Apprentice, the iconic character Carla rose to prominence during COVID lockdowns as Gladys Baro Jicklian's assistant, and from TikTok to mainstream media. The story of a girl from Bankstown has warmed the heart of Australia like a hot toddy after a three day dance party. I have loved every second of their time on Apprentice and the term gronk has made me laugh like a school kid at the back of the classroom. Right from the start, I will talk about how this amazing opportunity came about, the drama from behind the scenes, who's a gronk and who's not a gronk and what is next for this amazing character. However, let's get started with today's guest. I'd like to welcome Ben aka Carla from Bankstown to TV Reload.
Speaker 3: You're not going to see Nicole Kidman or Russell Crowe on Celebrity Apprentice. It's going I set the rules, I asked the questions and I make the final decision.
Speaker 4: Sorry, I don't talk to people that don't like Sorry, he.
Speaker 3: Can from the star studded lineup of Australian icons.
Speaker 4: Can I go and start some drama? And she's like, I would love for you to do that.
Speaker 3: They've all signed on to raise mind blowing money for deserving charity.
Speaker 4: He'd never know who was going to get fired as.
Speaker 3: They battle it out to become the next Celebrity Apprentice. I'm just really proud of myself for, I guess, taking a really shit situation and turning it into something amazing.
Speaker 5: Hey there, how are you.
Speaker 4: I'm good, How are you well?
Speaker 2: Congratulations on Celebrity Appredice. I think that you are the breakout star of this season. Everyone in my house is a gronk at the moment, and it's all thanks to you.
Speaker 3: I'm just glad that Aushirlia gets to use that in the vocabulary now, like that's the new word. My mum and dad say to me all the time. My grandma says that everyone says it. So I'm just very happy to have that back out in the world.
Speaker 4: Maybe we should try and see.
Speaker 2: We can get it in the dictionary Urban Dictionary. We'll get onto the Urban Dictionary. You know, when you first walked onto the screen, some people thought that you were a bit of an odd choice.
Speaker 5: How did this show come up for you?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, look, Carla was just something that I kind of started on a whim, just to like have a bit of fun and I guess, you know, build up my confidence because you know all the things that I want to be, Karla is.
Speaker 4: So for me, it was just really something that I.
Speaker 3: Wanted to do to kind of like get outside myself and kind of like show who I am as a person kind of thing.
Speaker 4: And then.
Speaker 3: Glad I've bought the Chicken's office speaker with Carlor from bankson, how can I help you today? Oh my god, bro, Anastasia parachutes, but what do you want? No, last time you called, I told you don't call again, bro. You know doing I did a couple of stories on a Current Affair and Carlo was kind of like building up momentum during lockdown and COVID and all that stuff. So when I got the call that they wanted me on the show, I was just kind of like, are you are you sure?
Speaker 4: I don't know, I used, are you really?
Speaker 3: Like you really want me on the show, because I know that like obviously, being famous on the Internet, a lot of people don't see that as being a celebrity or whatever the case may be. But looking back on it, it's kind of like Australia really doesn't have that many celebrities, Like we don't really have Like you're not going to see Nicole Kidman or Russell Crowe on Celebrity Apprentice. It's not gonna happen, do you know what I mean? Like we're not going to get fucking Rebel Wilson to come and do Dancing with the Stars.
Speaker 4: That's not gonna happen.
Speaker 2: Ever, and we have so many reality shows now with celebrities. I mean, surely we're getting to the bottom of the barrel to like looking for them.
Speaker 5: You know, I.
Speaker 4: Literally just said I literally just said that to Darren.
Speaker 3: We were talking about, like, oh, what's next for Carla, Like what are we up to? And I was like, look, I mean I could do another celebrity show, but I really just don't know who else they would cast because we really just so we're kind of like scraping the bottom unless they just do all maths.
Speaker 5: People, I honestly think you.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'd be really shocked if you don't go to Africa and do I'm a Celebrity this year. I mean I could watch you on every show.
Speaker 3: I think if I was to do I'm a Celebrity, get me out of here, I would make it in my contract that I have to bring my vape or my cigarettes with me because I could not survive being in that fucking jungle without some form of nicotine to get me through and a coffee.
Speaker 4: Every morning. I have to have a coffee otherwise I'm not doing it. Sorry.
Speaker 5: I think it's called the Shane warn contract.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, one hundred percent, that's me. I will I'm going to be the Mariah Carey of the season. And I'm just going to demand a million things only should be from the left side, and I want my coffee and I want my cigarette. Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Well, now you were talking like a celebrity, so I know, right, were you nervous to go up against these sort of let's call them mainstream celebrities, you know, were you nervous to go into the pack and then compete against them?
Speaker 3: Absolutely. I think the first episode that we filmed, when we met everybody, I was kind of like, I'm a massive reality TV fan, Like reality TV is something that I watch on a daily basis, like you know, watching You and Big Brother and all that kind of stuff, Like that's just something that it's my life. So to be in the company of like all these celebrity I was just like, oh my god, what is happening right now? Like are you sure this is actually happening? It was such a weird thing. But when we filmed the Golf Day episode, the first episode, I got home and spoke to I rang my mum and the first thing I said to her was I just was like, Okay, how are you going, And I'm like, no not. It was like burst into tears because I was just so overwhelmed because you know, all these people like have all these black Book contacts and they have all these like companies that would give them all this money for their charity.
Speaker 4: And he's me just being.
Speaker 3: Like, who's color gonna call, like the drug dealer down the road while we don't worry you to give her some money laundering money or something like, I don't know who I'm going to call. But it was a little bit intimidating at first, but everyone was really welcoming and really appreciative of what I was doing. And a few people had already seen me in the past, like Samantha Jade was like, oh my god, guys. Sebastian's wife, Jules loves you. She watches you all the time.
Speaker 4: I was like, oh wow, okay, cool. They so yeah. It was very intimidating at first, but I got used to it by the end of it.
Speaker 2: So I heard a rumor from the set of the show. I know a few people that have on it, I know a few people work on it, and they said that Lord Sugar had a soft spot for you, which I went to watch the show thinking, you know, he was just going to be obsessed with you. But in last night's final episode for you, there seemed to be a bit of tension between the two of you. So what's the truth? Was he obsessed with Look?
Speaker 1: I mean I the first okay, the first thing he ever said to me when we all met the first night when we were all together and they come walking out and introduce themselves, the first thing he said to me.
Speaker 3: He like looked at me, like did like a double take and was like are you a Sheila or like which what are you? And I was like, oh, fuck, here we go, right. So I was kind of just like thinking to myself, I don't know what he's going to come out of this man's mouth next. So I mean, look, I'm happy to say that I was probably I'm probably the only celebrity that's been on that show that actually got a smile out of him and actually made him laugh because he just he every time I walked into the boardroom in and out fit, he would always just be like, wow, Carla.
Speaker 4: You look beautiful, and it was just like it was a nice relationship.
Speaker 3: But by the end of it, when like last night's episode when I got fired and I was trying to explain myself, there was a lot of it that they cut out, and every time I tried to explain myself, he just kept cutting me off, and he just kept wanting to move on to the next thing. And then obviously like they played the part of me when.
Speaker 4: I called him an old.
Speaker 3: Man and said that I was sick of his shit, I was like, oh God, but I was just really like in that moment because I just I didn't want to go because I just wanted to I wanted to keep going. I wanted to try and prove myself more and more. And he just really kissed me off that episode because he just told me that I oh, you know, he didn't really do a lot, but it's like you were there to see what I actually did, Like I did quite a lot that wasn't actually put into the episode. It just kind of like make me look like an idiot. I guess I don't know, but I mean I love him. He was He was really nice. He was to me anyway. I mean, he didn't really like a few other people you know, called for actually said Gronks at one point too, which I was very proud of, which I'm annoyed that they didn't put in the show because that would have been so funny he I think it was the episode when we did the challenge at Manly where we had to do like sell all the random shit at Manly Beach. He met up with us and we were talking and he's like, oh, right, celebrities. You know, we're halfway through this task his competition and looks like Carla and Van are the people to be so watch out Bronx and I died. I was like, oh my god, he said it, but they didn't put it in.
Speaker 4: I'm like, God, what missed opportunity?
Speaker 2: Honestly, yeah, that is the That's the biggest missed opportunity this year since not using Oatsalaalila again and the new Big Brother.
Speaker 4: I know, what the what the hell?
Speaker 2: What were they thinking? You know, who did you click with the most out of the cast? I mean there was obviously a really obvious friendship with you and Darren. Is that the person that you've bought? Is that the prize of the show. You've walked away with Darren as your best friend?
Speaker 4: I mean, I Darren Is.
Speaker 3: I never thought that I would be friends with Darren ever, because when I first met him, I was like, this guy is such a smart ass. I don't know I feel like we're gonna clash or something, but he ended up being like the person that would Obviously he gave me a few pep talks on camera, but we would like call each other after each episode and have a chat and go out for dinner and just like kind of vent to each other about what was happening. But I would say, like his friendship. I got along really well with Bronti as well. Me and Bronti talk all the time. Samantha Gamble, I'd say, probably like I was good friends with everybody, but Bronti and Darren were probably the two that were like because I got so far with them, they were the ones that were kind of like had my back a lot of the time. So I mean, all my friendships that I made with everybody, I mean I never thought that I'd have Samantha Jade's phone number in my phone.
Speaker 4: I could just call her up and say hey, go with literally like the amount of time. Like when I first met her.
Speaker 3: The first thing I said to her, I was like, Hi, Sammy, I'm obsessed with you.
Speaker 4: I just wanted to let you know that you are a gay icon. And she's like, oh, thank you so much.
Speaker 3: That's so so much by Starter is my motherfucking jam Biach, you are an legend, And I just kept reminding her every day I see you, I'm like, Hi.
Speaker 4: You're a gay icon. Do I forget? Thanks, Carlor.
Speaker 5: They are the good ones.
Speaker 2: We need to get out of the way, But we also need to find out who the gronks were in the cast.
Speaker 5: So who were the biggest gronks?
Speaker 3: Look, I think I think everyone that's listening to this can kind of figure out for themselves who the biggest gronks were on the show, and they didn't really need editing to make themselves look like fucking idiots.
Speaker 4: But I mean, look, I got along.
Speaker 3: With everybody, even like Beck for example, Like I obviously watched back when she was on Maps, so I kind of like got the whole thing of her being the villain on the show or whatever that was. But like meeting her, we had spoken on Instagram prior to that, she followed me before that, and then she was probably the only person that I knew kind of on a personalish level.
Speaker 4: When I walked into the show and saw everyone there, she was okay to me. I think she just rubbed a lot of girls the wrong way because.
Speaker 3: I think putting a bunch of girls together and women together who have really big.
Speaker 4: Personalities, there's always going to be a clush somewhere.
Speaker 3: So I think that's kind of why none of the girls really got along with her, like Terria or Gamble or whoever it was.
Speaker 4: I think the only other person.
Speaker 3: That I didn't really get along with them that I really just can't stand, it's probably Ronnie from the Block. I'd stand him. Oh my god, Like it's just cringey watching back these episodes and seeing him like, you know, yelling at Tera and oh my god.
Speaker 4: It just like because I hate bleeding.
Speaker 3: I was bleied most of my life and by people who reminded me so much of him, just like that toxic straight masculinity and just being like really opinionated, and I just didn't really like he was nice to me, but I just didn't trust him. I just didn't jel well with him because I just knew what he was all about.
Speaker 2: So I was like, nah, sorry, I relate to you a lot, And I think I can imagine you would say things to these people that I would say, because I just say, you know, someone walks into the room dressed as a frog, I'm like oh a frog and I, but also we watch a lot of the same stuff. We watch all the reality TV. I would have pulled Ronnie aside and said, you know, I know you didn't your house didn't sell very well in that last you know series of the block, and then you didn't want to stick around on camera.
Speaker 5: You stormed off. You know what was all that about?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 2: Did you go around and ask all of these other celebrities, especially the reality TV people, why they'd behaved stupidly on other shows.
Speaker 3: I mean I spoke with beck about the whole drama with her when she was on her season, and she kind of like filled me in on like behind the scenes of how they edited it and put it all together and matched her.
Speaker 4: With that guy whoever she was with or whatever. But with Ronnie, I just kind of really just didn't want to talk to him. I didn't want to bore of you.
Speaker 3: But see, like the thing is, there were so many times that a lot of us called him out on the bullshit and said things to him.
Speaker 4: Or whatever, but they just didn't play it.
Speaker 3: Like when we were at the Fairfield Markets doing the car boot sale, I was on the megaphone walking around and the producers were like kind of looking at us, like, you guys need to keep doing more stuff, like it's kind of boring, like pick up the pace. And I literally said to her, I was like, can I go and start some drama? And She's like, I would love for you to do that, Please go and do something.
Speaker 4: I was like, all right.
Speaker 3: So I had the megaphone and I walked over to where their team was and I'm like, don't go to these guys, they're grunds. Well, I come to our stool. And then Ronnie was like, oh, Carla from Bankstown and celebrity Apprentice, don't you have to actually be a celebrity be on the show.
Speaker 4: And I looked at him and on the megaphone and I was like, how many times did you lose the block? Twice?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: Sorry?
Speaker 3: And then kind of just like walked away from him and he just kind of was like, oh okay, but yeah. And then like the episode where he kind of him and Teria had it out in the boardroom, when he came back in, we could see that Terri was visibly upset, and we kind of like sat with her.
Speaker 4: We were like, what's going on?
Speaker 3: Are you okay? And she just kind of told us, and Ronnie was standing with back and I kind of like called out. I was like Ronnie, and he turned and I was like, yeah, Carlo, what's wrong? And I said why? Why do you think that Terria is sabotaging in? What the fuck's a problem? And he was like, oh, oh, oh, you know, don't you worries? It comes like kind of staunching over to me and like starts like going off at me about Teria or whatever. And because when he walked in, I didn't acknowledge that he had walked in the room because I was like, I don't want to give you the time of day, so I kind of just said, you know nothing. And the first thing he said was oh, thanks for welcoming me back into the room. I said, well, I don't like you, so why would I lit I don't like you, why would I bother? Sorry, I don't talk to people that don't like Sorry.
Speaker 5: I love it so much.
Speaker 2: I just think, yeah, sometimes you feel I think sometimes your brand is you know, what have I got to lose?
Speaker 5: I'm just going to be myself and I'm going to call it as it is.
Speaker 2: And it's not that you're particularly being malicious for malicious sake, you're literally just explaining to everyone on the basic terms how they're coming across.
Speaker 5: You know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think like for me going on a show like this where obviously the people on the show are obviously very established, they know, like people know who they are, what their brand is, what they're selling, all that kind of stuff, whereas with me, not a lot of people knew who I was, so I just kind of felt like I had free rein to make that impression and be like outspoken or funny or whatever it is, and I didn't really have to worry like, oh, no, what are people going to think of me?
Speaker 4: It's like I don't really care what people think about me.
Speaker 3: That's my whole thing, because I don't give a shit what people think about Carla. So I think that was like probably the best part where, you know, all the producers said to me, like my interviews.
Speaker 4: Were always the best because I would just talk so much shit and you know, half a bath and you know, all that kind of stuff. So, I mean, I enjoyed it quite a lot. It was probably one of the best things I've ever done.
Speaker 2: To be honest, Well, you were able to be Ben and Carla during production? Was that always on the table, Like did you decide to do that at the start of production or I mean, was there what sort of a conversation did you have about fluctuating between Ben and Carla.
Speaker 3: Well, when they first approached me, they obviously floated the idea of doing just Carla, which I was I was all for, like that was something that you know, I was like, yeah, cool, I can do that.
Speaker 4: That's not a problem.
Speaker 3: But then they the more that we spoke about it, and they said, you know, it's going to be long hours, it's going to be you know, busy days.
Speaker 4: And I kind of thought, you know.
Speaker 3: Would it be because a lot of people started to I started to introduce myself as Ben to people on my Instagram a little bit more around that time, and I just kind of floated that idea past them, saying like, you know, could we do you know, maybe a task or two as Ben so I can you know, a have a break from putting makeup on my face because I was just like, you know, wearing makeup for like sixteen hours a day, you know, filming from like you know, make up. My call time was like four thirty in the morning, and then I'd finish it like potchnical good night.
Speaker 4: So it was just like an all day kind of thing. So they were like, yeah, we can do that.
Speaker 3: And then that's when we they said, you know, we've got the perfect opportunity for you to introduce Ben when we do this camping task because it's all about being yourself and things like that, which was a really really nice way that they introduced Ben and Kla together, which I really appreciated.
Speaker 4: Everyone was really nice about it.
Speaker 3: But yeah, like I mean, I would have been happy doing just Carla, but I mean, if they wanted to do Ben, I think I think it was a lot better for me to kind of show that side as well and not be just just Carla. People can see who I am, what I do, and get to know me on a more personal level rather than just an opinionated person on the internet, do you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I thought it was a really important piece of television, like it thought it was more than what it was. But maybe it was more than what it was for me because it really affected me watching that, you know, and I thought to myself, you know, how important is it to see diversity on Australian screens and that would have been a hard moment for you to do, but you know you are a trailblazer. Do do you think we need to see more inclusion on mainstream programming like this?
Speaker 4: Absolutely?
Speaker 3: I think like it didn't really hit me until, like I started when we did that episode where I was Ben and Carla, where it kind of hit me that, you know, growing up when I was watching TV, there was like hardly any queen representation on mainstream Australian television at all.
Speaker 4: Like I think the closest thing we had was like day Menda for example, do you.
Speaker 3: Know what I mean, Like there was not a lot of just in general, there wasn't a lot. And I think that that kind of hit me that I was like, wow, okay, this is actually something that I'm starting for people.
Speaker 4: And the response has been amazing.
Speaker 3: I've had so many people message me and say, like, you know, you are representing us so well, thank you so much for all of that. And yeah, I definitely think we need more representation in the media because there's really not a lot, to be honest, like at all, It's.
Speaker 4: Like no one.
Speaker 3: I think, like the first like openly gay person I saw, I mean, I don't even I actually don't even remember.
Speaker 4: I mean it was probably you, to be honest, let's be real.
Speaker 2: It's weird though, because like for me, I they started introducing gay people on reality shows and they were always the villain, although sort of being introduced as the villain, and I was like, that's not really true representation either, no, And interestingly enough, you know, that villain role that I think that we as queer people sometimes can lean into has a lot to do with our uncomfortability on who we are and how people are reading us. And so you know, that's a form of expression that was almost being bastardized in a way. You know, people were taking advantage of that without explaining the true sort of essence of it. You know, you struggled with bullying in high school and you sort of worked out how to laugh at yourself. Who were your inspirations sort of to take that attitude to not take yourself too seriously and to be like that.
Speaker 3: I mean, look, my my parents were probably you know, the biggest supporters of me and my sister, like they've always my family's always been really big supporters of everything that I've done. And I mean I wouldn't really be here without you know, their support and their love and then carrying which a lot of queer people don't have that opportunity need to have that relationship with them with their family. I mean, just like, you know, I always kind of feel like I relate to really strong, like like strong women. So you know, I watch people like on TV and like comedy shows like that, you know, like RepA Wilson who's done so much for comedy in Australia, and you know that kind of thing. But I just think that, you know, my family is probably the main people and my friends that have kind of just said to me, like, you need to stop worrying about what people think about you. You need to stop worrying reading the comments. Don't read the comments because they're shit. They're going to make you feel like shit. And yeah, I've just kind of taken on that whole thing of don't read the comments because it's really just not it's not a nice moment to read comments.
Speaker 5: Sometimes I say that to people all the time.
Speaker 2: Sandra Bullock always says publicly in interviews, do not read the comments section, and it's a bit of like a comedy repertoire that she uses where she leans into this one time she read the comments section and they said that she was old and she wasn't good enough, and she read three things and then just worked out.
Speaker 5: You know, it's not appropriate to do that.
Speaker 2: But one thing I wanted to say to you was and this this is how you came into my life as well. Gamble mentioned to me that you saved one of her friends' lives, you know, during COVID. I thought that was really amazing once I heard that story, that your social media presence was what helped during those COVID lockdowns. And were you aware that you were having such a monumental impact during such a hard time in Australia.
Speaker 3: I mean I feel like, you know, like everybody was going through the most during lockdown, Like it was just not a nice time. And where I am, like in Bankstown area, it was a lot more. I guess our lockdown was a lot harsher because you know, our areas were the ones that were affected the most and we had the most cases, so you know, we had police holy helicopters going over us every night. There was patrol cars going through make sure everyone was inside. Like it was just really like shit. And I'm a very social person. I love to spend time with my friends and my fami family and hangout, and you know, didn't get to see my friends for months, and didn't get to go see my grandma for months, and you know all that kind of stuff. And I think Carlo in a way also saved me from lockdown and going crazy in lockdown, because there were times where I felt super depressed because I wasn't working and Carla wasn't going anywhere, and you know, and then that's when I kind of pushed myself to keep making the videos, keep trying to make people laugh because I was just so sick of seeing all the negative stuff that was on the news about you know, the pace, all that kind of stuff, and I was just like, you know what we need to Let's just have a laugh, Let's just take the piss out of it.
Speaker 4: Let's just have fun. And that's when I came up there.
Speaker 3: I did for doing like gladys Pa, and everybody just kind of like clung to that and loved that and that story that when Gamble rang me and told me that story about her friend, it like literally like bursting into tears because I was just like, I actually didn't realize the impact that my stupid little videos that I'm making my bedroom I having on people, Like it was just such just a real thing to think that, you know, because like so many people message me and say like, you got me through Lockdown, You've got me through this, you got me through that. You're inspirational, Like even Gladys, you know, I spoke with Gladys and she literally said to me the same thing, like you got me and a lot of people through Lockdown, and it's amazing, So thank you for that. So it's just like it's such a surreal thing because I've always wanted to be in the media and on TV and you know, all that kind of stuff. Now that it's actually happening and all these people are receiving it so well, it's just like I love it. It's my favorite thing. But also at the same time, it can be a little bit overwhelming because you're like, oh my god.
Speaker 4: I don't know how to go onto this. I don't know, like, you know, what am I going to say?
Speaker 3: You know, now, I'm going to have to make sure I don't say the wrong thing and all that kind of stuff. But like, I'm just really proud of myself for I guess taking a really shitty situation and turning it into something amazing.
Speaker 2: And just remember the trajectory for people like Rebel Wilson. You know a lot of people that have come out of Australia, the trajectory wasn't this straight line. There are moments where you will be on Celebrity Apprentice and then you may take a back and you may want to work out how color can fit into other spheres. You know, things aren't necessarily going to be this up and up and up, and don't let that affect you, do you know what I mean? Like because when you read people's autobiographies, you're like, and then they got this job, then they get this job. But most people just delete that part of their story that there were those moments where they're on their balcony drinking cheap wine and smoking cigarettes and watching the past of Big Brother. Wasn't me not a story about myself?
Speaker 5: Not a story?
Speaker 4: It sounds like me need to be quite honest with you.
Speaker 2: Okay, great, we'll do that on a zoom chat. That's a different that'll be a chat for a different time. Before you go, I just want to ask you a couple more questions about Apprentice. What was the hardest thing about production? Did you get into your own head, did the long hours affect you, did you find some of the egos too much?
Speaker 5: Like what was it for you that was hard about making this show?
Speaker 3: I think the hardest thing was the boardroom only because you never know what Lord Sugar would do, Like you'd never.
Speaker 4: Know like who was going to get fired. And especially because like my team in the beginning.
Speaker 3: We were like the Girls team. We just like literally lost every fucking task that we ever did. So it was hard because I was like, I don't want my friends to go, and like I've just gotten to know these people and now they're going to go, and you know, because when they get fired, we don't get a chance to say goodbye, and then they just leave and then that's it. So it's like, fucker, what am I going to see these people again? All that kind of stuff. I think that was probably one of the hardest things for that. But also I guess the long hours was probably something that I'm not used to because I'm so used to just like you know, during Lockdown, I was waking up at like one o'cle in the afternoon, chucking on a wig and making a video and having it out by the end of the day, whereas my call time was like four thirty, five thirty in the morning to be red seven. Yeah, I just I need it. Yeah, it was it was the long hours of probably the hardest part. And I guess also being away from my family because I was staying in the city while we were filming the show, so you know, I didn't get to see my parents as often, and you know, my friends and my dog and all that kind of.
Speaker 4: Stuff, So that was probably one of the hardest things too.
Speaker 2: You know, the show has this ability to propel people's careers or destroy people. You know, do you think the celebrities know what side of the fence that they're on? You know, do they think that do you think that those people in that show know how they're coming across so to speak.
Speaker 3: Look, I mean a lot of the celebrities, like watching it back, obviously knowing and filming with them, and then watching the show back, a lot of it was pretty much true to who they are as people. Because we did we did actually get all of us got along so well.
Speaker 6: I think because we had just come out of like this big lockdown and like especially like Gamble coming from Melbourne where they had their massive lockdown, and we kind of all banded together because it was the first time we were all around people, and so we all bought it. And then it got to a point where production was just kind of like, you guys need to stop being friends and start making some fucking drama for us, please.
Speaker 4: You can't just be friends all the time. Someone has to start something. So we were just kind of like, yeah, but we love each other, like, you know, what are we gonna do?
Speaker 3: But yeah, I think like a lot of the celebrities knew, Like I mean, Sammy for example, was really nervous when before the show aired. She like we were talking every day and she was just like, I'm so nervous. I don't know how I'm gonna be portrayed. And I'm like, but you weren't bad, Like you've never said anything horrible, you weren't mean to people, You were just yourself, and it's going to show. And I think, I mean, the only people that really didn't need an edit to make themselves look stupid would probably infected Ronnie, to be honest, they're the only two people that I guess, like, I think I think Ronnie did an interview, and he was saying like, oh, yeah, it's all the way it's been edited, And you know, I'm not really like that as a person.
Speaker 4: I'm like, yes, you are, you are, you are lying.
Speaker 2: People say that to me all the time, Like, you know, I've done different shows and people always it was the edit. But I'm like, I know that from doing any show. Maybe your edit is a little bit harsh. Maybe they've caught you saying something that is probably yeah, that's.
Speaker 5: A little over the top for you.
Speaker 2: But the essence of who people are is exactly who they are, you know what I mean, Like, you can't stuff around with the essence of it. And it's it's like where there's smoke, there's fire. That's kind of how reality TV works. You know, it might not necessarily be your houses burnt down, but you know you are a bit of.
Speaker 4: A shit exactly. But that's the whole thing.
Speaker 3: It's like, regardless of how people are edited on reality TV, the words still came out of your mouth, do you.
Speaker 4: Know what I mean? You still said that.
Speaker 3: And you know, there were a lot of times which they caught on camera where I was saying shit under my breath and I didn't think that it would make it there like me calling old chulgarn old man and getting pissed off with him or whatever it was.
Speaker 4: I'm just so sick of that old man always questioning my.
Speaker 3: Work ethic and telling me that I'm not doing a good enough job.
Speaker 5: The food service was shit, Like you know, you guys saw me running.
Speaker 3: Around like a chick, But like that was just me in the moment, being upset and angry. And I guess like watching that last night, I was like, oh fuck, I actually don't even remember saying that, And then I kind of that moment if I'm like, actually, no, I do remember, because I was very upset and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 4: But yeah, like if you've said it, you said it.
Speaker 3: And I think the thing that people need to remember is if you have said something horrible, just own it. Like there's no point in trying to make up an excuse as to oh, no, I never said that. Oh no, I never did that, Like like on Real Housewives when Gina called Lydia at the sea word and she's like, no, I never said that, and then they played the audio back and she said it's like, oh that's no, No, I never said that.
Speaker 4: Dob that's not me. Like, that's the kunny thing I related like to you said it. You said it period, that's it.
Speaker 5: I love Genealiana.
Speaker 2: You know, your final boardroom, you looked a little exhausted, more so than any other time of the show. You know what was going on in your mind just before you were fired?
Speaker 4: I was panicking.
Speaker 3: I was thinking like I had made such good friends and I had already made a lot of money for my charity, and I kind of just I felt like it was almost like a school camp kind of thing, like I didn't want to go home. I wanted to stay and hang out with my friends, and I wanted to, you know, make more parody, and I wanted to be on TV more.
Speaker 4: I wanted to.
Speaker 3: I was just so caught up in it, having such a great time that you know. And then I kind of thought, when you know, Jeane decided to bring us back, I was just kind of like, oh shit, like am I gonna go? What's he going to do? And obviously, like a lot of people have been messaging me saying.
Speaker 4: Jean should have gone home.
Speaker 3: Jeane didn't do this, she didn't do that, And look, I'll be honest, like I love Geene to Dash. She's I'm very close with her and I think she should have gone too, Like she sent me a message last night she called me and said her kids were in the background yelling out we love you, we love your Carla, and she's like, yeah, my kids aren't talking to me at the moment because they're upset.
Speaker 4: That you went home and I did it because they keep.
Speaker 3: Telling me that I should have gotten by, So now they're not talking to me and I'm like, oh sorry, but yeah, I mean like, look, it's it is what it is.
Speaker 4: And I think that it's just that's it.
Speaker 3: That's just where the cookie crumble sometimes, and I think it just everything was just caught up. And we had been filming that week, only had like one day off in between like ten days.
Speaker 4: So I was just like so.
Speaker 3: Exhausted, and the boat was just like ridiculous, and those girls were so horrible to me on the boat, and I got really seasick at one point because I can't really be on a boat for too long and I was like, you know, throwing up, and I was I was just not having a good day that day, and I just kind of felt like, I feel like this is my moment, I feel like I'm gonna go home tonight. I'm kind of relieved because I really like to go back to my own bed and see my family. But I'm kind of really sad that I didn't get to, I guess make it to the finale because everyone kept saying to me, you're gonna get You're gonna go to the finale, You're.
Speaker 4: Gonna be and in this show you're going to go through.
Speaker 3: And I'm just like, you know, how cool would it be to have queer representation in a grand finale of mainstream media TV show? Like that would be incredible? But you know, always All Stars. That's what I kept saying to them, Like, can you guys make sure you do Slavia Prince just does and bring me back here because I'll be there.
Speaker 2: I want my friend, Like my friend Laila was on it, and I keep saying that to her. She's just done Big Brother All Stars and I'm like, now you've got to do Celebrity All Stars and a Celebrity Apprentice All Stars. She was like, oh, Ben, She's like, I could do a lot of shows again, but I can't do that.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I'm good friends with her brother David. Me and David like talk all the time and love him up and comes to in here.
Speaker 4: It's so funny.
Speaker 3: And him and I were saying like, maybe him and I should do a reality show together, and I was like, oh my god, maybe we could do like Celebrity Married at First Sight, him and I could get married together, and just cause drama, I feel.
Speaker 5: Like, no, it's it's simple life.
Speaker 2: You guys need to do the simple and go around Australia like, I don't care whether or not nine seven or ten or whoever can't get on board find someone to put the money together for that show, because you and David doing the simple life is gold television.
Speaker 3: It would be I just want to see him trying milk a cow and he's my heel shoes. I think that would be great.
Speaker 2: What is something from behind the scenes that we didn't see that we won't see from your time on Celebrity Apprentice, kind of like a behind the scenes secret.
Speaker 3: Well, there was one part of one of the episodes where I got a phone call from Gladys for my birthday, which they filmed but never put in the final episode, which I was really annoyed about because that would have been iconic.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 3: So we were filming the week of We were filming during my birthday and the Furfield Markets episode was my actual birthday, and then the next day we had to do the next task and my manager Drew said to me, I've got a birthday present for you. When your phone reachs, just answer it. And I'm like, okay, who's gonna call me? Like okay, well, I'm sitting there, And luckily it was like we were filming the lingerie task when we were doing the fashion show and I went outside to have a cigarette and have a break or whatever, and obviously I was still Mike because I'm sitting there at my phone reachs, and I answered, I'm like hello, and then this voice was like, Hi.
Speaker 4: Is this Carla?
Speaker 3: And I was like, yes, speaking, who's this And she's like, hi, Color, it's Glad, but a chicken here, and I was like, oh my god. I literally was like get fucked and she's like, yes, it's me. Hi.
Speaker 4: I just wanted to ring in wish you a happy birthday. And I was like, oh my god, this is amazing.
Speaker 3: And then the crew had obviously heard it through my mic, and then they came running out with the camera and they're like, we need to film this started again. So I'm like, gladys, I'm filming so many apprentices at the moment, can we record this conversation.
Speaker 4: It's like, yeah, that's fine, no worries. But the conversation was so sweet.
Speaker 3: It was just like, you know, wishing me a happy birthday and thanking me for being her assistant and all that kind of stuff, and it was a really wholesome moment for me, just so amazing.
Speaker 4: But I'm just like, why didn't they put it in the show. It would have been so funny.
Speaker 2: But I'm guiding to channel line now and warnas please please try I've got You're fired.
Speaker 4: I've got a copy of.
Speaker 3: It on my phone because the producer filmed it on my phone, which I'm probably going to try and upload soon, but I want to make sure that I'm like allowed.
Speaker 4: To upload it because I don't want to get, you know, sued for anything that's not I don't have any money. I don't have any money to.
Speaker 2: Do a law suit than you're the ever heard of the situation here. Absolutely, I have love chatting with you. You are absolutely fantastic. I will forever be in your audience good luck with whatever you decide that you want to do next.
Speaker 5: I think there's an enormous amount of people in your audience.
Speaker 3: Oh, I've got I've got music coming out, I've got merch out at the moment, I've got performances, hopefully going to be doing a tour some kind of I'll be everywhere.
Speaker 4: You'll you'll see me somewhere.
Speaker 2: Consider it that I've already bought the the Carla showbag.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, there'll be a showbag with a wig and they're a pack of cigarettes and a little.
Speaker 4: Mini handbag for everybody.
Speaker 5: That's my Friday night anyway.
Speaker 4: Lovely to chat with you to my love talks in