Speaker 1: Flex and fruits.
Speaker 2: Oh yes to another day, another podcast. You've probably seen on TikTok, all of those rating videos such as He's a seven but he wears Ram Williams ten. He I'm not going to go into it because I'm not sure if I think it really is objectifying or.
Speaker 3: Not, and I don't care that it is. I think that's where I'm at. I think that, like, it sounds like your fear of whether or not you're objectifying. It's not because you care, because you think that other people care.
Speaker 2: Now, but I don't though, exmember, I'm not patronizing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you do. No, I don't because you do not.
Speaker 2: I'm just I'm just going to say yes, no green brown, try and confuse you with colors so you can have a poke a hole in my argument flex.
Speaker 3: I'm not poking holes. The mask of a clarification. Clarification is your worst nightmare.
Speaker 4: Son.
Speaker 3: You start mumbling, you're like, then you shut down power. So yeah, talking about the rating game. You know, last week it was all fun and giggles and then naturally what happens on TikTok with anything is that somebody wants to critically analyze it.
Speaker 2: And you started that trend, you had a lot to say.
Speaker 3: I think you're oh yeah, But I think the difference between me critically analyzing stuff is I don't actually care, Like, I don't moralize these arguments. I'm like, this is just funny. But people critically analyze to say you're a bad person for thinking this or you're a good person for thinking that, And that's when we've gone too far. It's just vibes. And so this idea of like, is it bad to objectify? It might be, but the trend was funny and I'm sticking to that, and I'm not gonna go back and be like I didn't laugh or I think what's worse is that when people decide what they think after Like, the trend was huge for two weeks, you had two whole weeks to decide whether or not you thought it was offensive. Don't let one person on the internet decide for you and then make you feel bad. That just means you have a weak resolve and no brain.
Speaker 2: Heavy heavy, that's heavy.
Speaker 3: What you just said, weak resolve and no brain.
Speaker 2: A non sentient being. AI's perfect form right now, Savage, let's get into it.
Speaker 1: This is flex and frooms.
Speaker 2: We love to look back, throw back. I personally am great annoying what year things happened.
Speaker 3: It's a gift and a skill.
Speaker 2: You have one of my plethora of skills, and you're very good at I would say, like sensing a feel.
Speaker 3: Okay, so you have a tangible hard skill.
Speaker 2: I've got a vibe, just vibes were you're a fan of Hillary Duff growing up?
Speaker 3: I don't think so?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 3: Did you watch? People have a lot of Yeah, people have a lot of close memories with things like that. I don't.
Speaker 2: It's doing this deep dive on her on YouTube last night. It's called The Twisted World of Hillary Duff and it's on a channel called deep Dive.
Speaker 3: Have you heard of them?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: This sounds like a a conspiracy.
Speaker 2: It looks fantastic. It's all about deep dives on like ex Disney stars and all that kind of stuff. And what I learned was that when Hillary Duff was sixteen, she was dating a Madden Joel Madden.
Speaker 3: Sixteen.
Speaker 2: Guess how old he was?
Speaker 3: Twenty six?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Ah?
Speaker 2: How did we alet Joel Madden?
Speaker 1: Don't say we.
Speaker 3: I would have never done that. I would have never let her do it. How did that happen. This is like two thousand and seven era. This happens too much in Hollywood, two too too much.
Speaker 2: I'm just wondering how it took ten years, like obviously do.
Speaker 3: I just think like these young children are heaps over sexualized, so like we perceive them to be a lot older than they are when they are children. That were kind of like, oh yeah, that makes sense, Like she wears makeup and heels, she must be an adult because I don't recall in my head, I can never recall Hillary Duff being sixteen. She was always twenty five and.
Speaker 2: Up, so true? Could be that I think I'm so used to now, like it's so easy to forget the past. That could never happen now. Surely No, in Hollywood.
Speaker 3: I also think media was really different than if we're talking she was sixteen, was like twenty years ago. That's tabloid culture. You're physically opening up Women's Day New idea, getting the hot goss. And if she's not, if she wasn't their demographic, that might not have been spoken about. It might not have been hot news. I feel like Angelina and Joel Lee was popular then, and Sarah Jessica Parker, So maybe it wasn't highlighted because they weren't mainstream in the way they are now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, facts, Well, apparently Nicole Richie stole Joel Madden off Hillary Duff nice, and apparently Paris Hilton sabotaged Haley Duff's pop career. How it was a war, an eagirl war. Do you not remember that Hillary Duff and Hailey Duff versus Paris Hilton. After Hillary Duff dated Aaron Carter, she dumped him and went for Joel Madden for her like scene boy face. They dated four years from the time she was sixteen to twenty, but then he started dating Nicole Richie a month later. And then Hillary threw shade via her album Dignity, which is just her sing about Paris Nicole and Lindsay. This is what she wrote in her song Where's your Dignity? I think you lost it in the Hollywood Hills. Can't buy respect. You can pick up that bill always, mister Wright. But then you have a fight. Run into your friend's ex. He's happy to be your next Tomorrow's paper coming out, So kiss him fast. Watch the cameras flash Hillary a poet.
Speaker 3: I would love to know how that sounded in a song that felt like a hiku. We're really giving all ways splitting the bill?
Speaker 2: What lamb poetry?
Speaker 3: Hillary doves a little Bari are always happy to date your friends. What is the thing with Haley and Paris? You can't start these things and then give me a doll?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, okay, Hailey and Paris Hilton. Somehow she was in it. Basically, Paris and Haley both recorded the same song. Screwed the pair release that they both recorded the song, but before it could be sorted out, Paris's version of mysteriously leaked It's much be Haley's debut single. Pretty incredible stuff, right, This is Flex and Frooms.
Speaker 3: Have you or have you not heard Drake's new album? Yes? Are you a fan?
Speaker 2: A Drake fan?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: No, No, No, I'm a big fan. It just gives me to grassy. I can't get past it.
Speaker 3: I don't think I really knew him in that in that vein, but in terms of the music, I would say that I am a Drake fan. I didn't know that I was one until I recognize that people don't just listen to his albums back to back to back to back to back, And I think I do get a bit defensive when people don't like the music, because I'm like, what's there not to like? He just makes hits all the time for every genre, every single one, every single song colonizes, steals from done.
Speaker 2: It all sounds the same, and this is I.
Speaker 3: Think that's what I like about it, though, I feel I understand the value of reinventing the wheel and having every new album be a new era. So it's really exciting for listeners. But I also think with how quickly trends move in every industry, music especially, it's really frustrating when you're like, I just want more of the same, Like I wish that album was twice as long. Give me the songs you didn't publish before. I want those. But this one, in particular, came out of nowhere, a surprise drop, which doesn't happen a lot in music. There was a portion of time where people like, we're releasing one at midnight, but suddenly one fateful night, everyone's like, new Drake coming out midnight. We weren't prepared. We weren't prepared. Why did he do that? Rumor has it he did not want to compete with the Storm of Beyond, say, because Beyonce just started her album promo. She did her Vogue front cover and like eight page spread, which was just phenomenal. If he did not drop before her album, he would have got lost in the source. And he's already done that once before with Kanye. It's just not and J Cole it's not worth it anyway. The album's called Honestly never Mind genius like amazing, why are you excited? I just love it. Album's called Honestly never Mind. And the reception people are saying it's mid TikTok. Mostly they're saying it's mid It's not good. They don't understand it, they don't like it, it's rushed, et cetera, et cetera. I don't want to like confirm nor deny because I have this thing about new music as someone who used to DJ and semi retired now but after eight years you can do that is that you need to sit with an album, especially if it's an artist you like. You need to sit with an album for five listens, back to front, around and around.
Speaker 2: And around in the way they intended.
Speaker 3: I don't really mind. I don't really care about that, but you need to have listened to the whole every song five times because the first time I know that we rush to form opinions really quickly. You want to pick your favorites, top three, show away, it's not worth it because you don't know how they sonically sit. And I also think that a lot of music requires context, like you need to be listening to it as you're getting ready, as you're going out, as you're going for a walk, as you're winding down, which means you need time. Five listens could take you three weeks. You know it could take you three months, but you need to do it. Otherwise you go on the internet and you publish half baked thoughts that really do impact the results of people's listening negatively. When I saw Jack Carlow's album Got two point nine and pitchforkcaus, I don't worry about it, Yeah, I don't need to listen. I'm all good, and it could be I could have liked it, but I didn't listen. I feel very sensitive for musicians because I think they're so unappreciated for what they can create. There are only so many bloody instruments you can use, so many cores, you can use, so many variations and formations of Li and whatever that it is so hard to make a song, let alone a hit, let alone having a career of hits where all you've done is have back to back number ones. It's hard to outdo yourself when you've already done the best, incredible, you know what I'm saying. It's like, be easy on these artists still roast, but like, let's let it simmer for.
Speaker 2: A bit, simmer, then turn the doll right up, crank it like make it hurt frogs in the boiling.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Flex and Frooms on kDa.
Speaker 3: A couple of days ago, I told you about this trend on TikTok. It's called He's a ten, but she's a ten. But if you're familiar with the app, you might have seen it. If not, it's basically listing out a quality in a person that will give them more points in the rating system or dock points. So for example, he is a two, but he loves Drake.
Speaker 2: She is a ten, but she has a twilight chatto.
Speaker 3: That's a queen, right though, that's a queen anyway. So the best thing about this trend is what I think is a lack of nuance, is the fact that if I don't know what your standards are, then I don't know why you've docked points as much as you have or why you've raised points. For example, if I said he is a ten, but he's an atheist, and then I said he's a seven, you'd be like why, And that's what I want to get into. We won't today, but whatever. So there was this genius guy on TikTok who took all the data from the most popular versions of that trend and put it into a spreadsheet to teach us how we can increase our perceived attractiveness based on these really silly attributes. Do you want to listen?
Speaker 6: Yes, I've got everything here in a Google sheet positives, negatives, and neutrals, also a chart. So let me tell you what I've learned. If you get a job as a lifeguard, put on some cologne and walk on the outside of the sidewalk, you could start out at a half point, be a literal muppet and move up to Chris Hemsworth. Or if you're an average guy, you can just buy a boat, grow a mustache, and clap at the end of top gun and you're up there with Timothy schueblagoot. Now for the bad news, there are things you need to work on. Definitely believe in birds. The only height we can be really sure about is six ' four and that gets you nothing. For all my croc dudes out there, you're either at a minus half or minus three, So just make sure they're pretty cool. There's a lot more ways to go wrong than to go right, So I guess just like, don't be lame and growma stash.
Speaker 3: So basically, what he's saying is that number one, all the things that people claimed were attractive or made them more attractive are just as silly as the things that make people unattractive. For example, if somebody is quote unquote nice to servers, that can take them from a five to a seven. If somebody smells good, that can take them from a two to a five. If somebody is a lifeguard, that can take them up four point five rankings. You can go from a five to a nine and a half because you're a lifeguard.
Speaker 2: What to pay that?
Speaker 3: And if you have like a mustache, then you can go up one point. But this is for the bad things. Long nose hair can take you down half a point. He thinks he's a good cook. When he's mediocre, can take you down one for that's a big one. If he drives slow down two points. If he's skinny, down two points, if he has long fingernails, down three points. If he loves crocs, down three points. If he's a mama's boy. Neutral, if he's six, if he's six foot four, neutral, So either way, And I guess people weren't intending to take this trend seriously. It's meant to be facetious, it's meant to be silly. But I think that is the point. That is also the issue, like all of these things that we think aren't actually impacting our ability to see people as like vible partners are. Because if the first thing that comes to mind is like he's a ten but he cries during rom Coms seven, that's the top of your brain. That's what you conjured up off off the cuss, not like she's a seven but she hates children, or he's a ten but he's a misogynist, or he.
Speaker 2: Is they're less fun though, aren't they?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: But the thing is, it's not even about fun or not fun, because this trend didn't start out fun. This trend started out with someone making a pros and cons lest about someone that were dating who was like really terrible, and it's kind of like a play on, like you'll let someone do the worst things and still not dump them, Like these am I the assholes we read? He's amazing, but like he's really mean to me and he hates with my friend and he thinks all my art is really ugly. But like he's a really nice guy. No, no, he's a two. He's a two anyway, And the rating system is floored because literally everyone be like, I'm like a six or seven? Well, how can we all be sick?
Speaker 2: Seven?
Speaker 3: Okay, simply doesn't work.
Speaker 5: That be real.
Speaker 2: Everyone is beautiful, remember fix, I don't agree.
Speaker 3: Do you really think that?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Flex and frooms.
Speaker 2: Last weekend, my best friend was over for dinner. I made past the Ela vodka. Of course, yem me a little bit of garlic bread on the side.
Speaker 3: Homemade garlic bread or still bought, yeah, homemade. Nice.
Speaker 2: She's in a new relationship. She's been with her boyfriend for about three months.
Speaker 3: Official for three months. They've known each other.
Speaker 2: For three months, but like it's proper. They're very comfortable together. And she was telling me a story about how comfortable they've become.
Speaker 3: Oh, I didn't want to hear.
Speaker 2: It, and she's told me a bit of a dilemma. I'm just gonna call her hello, honey. So we're just on the radio. Was just telling Flexi about how you and your partner have.
Speaker 3: She's flexy.
Speaker 2: You can go like Flexi too, how you two have been dating for like three months and how comfortable you are. And I guess I just wanted you to tell us the story of how that comfort came to be, what happened, and what is now the result.
Speaker 5: So usually I'm actually.
Speaker 4: Usually weird about bodily fluids with friends. I'm very like private in this kind of thing, and then when I get into a relationship, it's like all hold bar, all holds bar except for farting. So we didn't really have the conversation. It was just he would fight a lot.
Speaker 3: I never would.
Speaker 4: I would have to go into the other room to fart or which makes you.
Speaker 3: Sound like a child. I support that. I'm down with that, but.
Speaker 4: Or go into someone else's room far or far when he was asleep, or like farm in the shower.
Speaker 5: Just that kind of thing.
Speaker 4: And then we were so transparent and open about every other bodily fluid, like we you know, spiting each other's mouths, blah blah blah. So when it came to fighting, he was, I just just do it like it's.
Speaker 5: Fine, it's fine, it's fine, it's fine.
Speaker 3: So eventually I started doing it.
Speaker 4: I've done it like, I did it like two times. And then on Friday, I said, I came home a bit drunk. He had stayed home because he wasn't feeling very well, and I was like, I really have to fight. He's like, okay, whatever. I fired, and he.
Speaker 5: Ran to the bathroom and threw up, wait, you are all want.
Speaker 3: I said, there's nothing good comes from it.
Speaker 5: I know, and usually I do more embarrassed, but like it's actually it was the most dramatic homent you've ever had in your life. He lives by himself, and so he ran to his bathroom and it was like it was like he just drank a lead of water and had.
Speaker 2: Come out of the week, like putting a bit of a scream behind.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I like korin like a like a kettle into the toilet bowl.
Speaker 3: So how did it end up?
Speaker 2: Have you made an allegiance not to fight in front of each other. Absolutely not.
Speaker 5: I'm proud of it.
Speaker 3: I'm like, I'm now.
Speaker 4: It's more of like a one up in each other moment.
Speaker 3: That's why I did want to do.
Speaker 4: It, because like I've just gone vegetarian, I'm making my way through all the legumes and works for me and califlywering.
Speaker 2: It this beautiful humoric on the top it's doing. Now he's done that.
Speaker 5: What have I got to be embarrassed about?
Speaker 2: Now to the wall, Well, thank you sent him my love and I hope did he gets well soon?
Speaker 4: I will.
Speaker 2: This has been humiliating in an equal measure.
Speaker 3: Thank you for sharing. Bye bye. I love her.
Speaker 2: Fart to vomit pipeline shorter than you might imagine.
Speaker 3: I make sure people aren't comfortable to fight in front of me, so we'll never have to do that exchange. My issue is not opening the floodgates and being comfortable. It's the fact that once comfort is established, it's it's a lawless place. There's no boundaries once we've gone full fart, So I'm like, don't do it around me. Yes, tighten up those in the boundary early, close that sphincter.
Speaker 1: There you go, and frooms.
Speaker 2: I found this TikTok. The caption is Toddler's kind of sleigh. This is from a guy called Mike's Dot Mike.
Speaker 3: Oh, we love Mike's Mike.
Speaker 7: I've just come to the realization that Toddler's slayed three concepts. First one is the iPad child esthetic. Like, as a recent iPad purchaser myself, Yeah, I'm gonna whip out my iPad, watch a little video and eat a little snack together. Like, I get the appeal. That were kind of right for that second thing that brings me on at the second thing talking about food, A little puree, a little snack to go at any time. That's a little bit fantastic. I might just chuck a cheese stick in the tote on my way out to the market. You can't stop me. Third thing, they're continuously asking why all this is a thought exercise? Right? What am I doing?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 7: I'm scrolling on Instagram? Why because I have time and it's free? Why why it's Instagram free? Someone has to be paying for it? Oh wait, Instagram selling my data.
Speaker 3: Genius genies. Toddlers are the original critical thinkers, and they also understand how to maintain a lust for life a bit of a snack bit of entertainment, ask questions.
Speaker 2: Your bomb is real soft when you're young, it's soft. Now I touch my bum and I just want to know if anyone else gets oh the.
Speaker 3: First Yeah, it needs a demoplane. What bum hair?
Speaker 2: No? No, no, not bum hair. So you got my bum cheeks? And then I have quite a small flat ass and there's like a little flat ridge.
Speaker 3: Anyone else got that.
Speaker 2: Which bum cheeks? And there's like a little flat ridge at the bottom, at the top, at the bottom. Okay, that's not soft, whereas I'm sure there was a time in my life where that little ridge.
Speaker 3: I am trying my hardest pitch of the ridge.
Speaker 1: I cannot This is flex and froomes on Kita.
Speaker 3: We've been talking about this TikTok trend called he's a ten butt or she's a ten. But basically, you list out an attribute or a characteristic that someone could have that could either increase their level of attractiveness or decrease it to you, to you, it's all personal. So she's a seven, but she wears crucs to work eleven thirteen. She is a ten but she always nags you or one, Yeah, I can't do it.
Speaker 2: I cannot deal with a with a constant.
Speaker 3: Naggerna, and you've got to balance it out, like you've got to be as sweet as you are salty. Otherwise it's just mean. But as with all good things, it comes to a point where it stopped being funny and then people start doing critical analysis. I think something could just be left alone.
Speaker 2: You know, there's always a point, and there's always a point, like it's TikTok that has made us like this.
Speaker 3: You think, yeah, yeah, I agree, I agree. But for this trend in particular, the issue is people are saying that is this encouraging objectification in the wrong way, Like, aren't we passed this? Can't we see people for more than their you know, arbitrary physical attributes. Should we really be viewing people as less than for things that don't actually matter in the grand scheme of things? Did I say? Of course? Okay, if you're going to attach yourself to someone for the rest of your life, you can be picking. Okay, you can think the things you want to think. I feel like having this overwhelming, overarching let's be neutral about all things because everybody is amazing is not helpful for the world we're living in. It really isn't. If someone says she's a ten but she doesn't have a job, and you say she's a five, let that be that person's reality before we're like no, like it's okay to be unemployed and blah blah. Let's not paint everything with the same brushstroke if we don't have to. Right, But people are saying the issue with this trend in particular is that not everybody is smart enough to see that it is a funny trend.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: Somebody might see that and say I am now perceived to be less attractive because of something silly or serious or whatever it might be. But that we are effectively traumatizing group of people or making them more insecure about things they didn't need to feel bad about to begin with, What do you think about that?
Speaker 2: I really don't like it when people say, oh, but there's people who don't get it, Like there's people that going to take this literally, shut up, Oh, don't be so condescending. People come on the internet and pick things apart saying some people aren't going to get this. It's going to go over their head, Like, how dare you be so condescending A to me? Say it's me this scenario nic, but b to the people that are consuming it, that are the audience, how patronizing. I've never understood that.
Speaker 3: I feel that too.
Speaker 2: How do you think that your level of comprehension, oh, is higher than the plethora of other supporters who would never have a word to say?
Speaker 3: Like one hundred percent? I love when through me gets fired up. Get them, let them know they're wrong. The point you made about people feeling as though every kind of joke or facetious comment needs to be over explained or disclaimed because you're inevertently offending someone is really annoying as well, because aside from being patronizing condescending, it's also infantilizing audiences. Every time I talk about something that is considered like smart or deep or something or that, I'm not explaining every single bit before somebody gets it. People will be like, you know, there are children here on your audience, don't talk about that. I'm like, I've seen my analytics, babe. The predominant audience here is twenty five and up. If you're a dummy, just say that, okay, believe me out for this trend in particular, you know how I said a couple I don't know it's months ago on Instagram, but I was, like, some people think feminism is believing that women can't be ugly, And that is my issue with where these discussions end up going. You take a trend that is meant to be just so brain dead, and you apply all this extra meaning to it to give it meaning that wasn't there to begin with. What this trend is showing is the reality of what dating is.
Speaker 4: Like.
Speaker 3: It's these silly things that turn someone from eligible to ineligible.
Speaker 2: Right, Because for example, one of them is but he smells bad when you actually dig deeper. That is more than just a silly thing, Like it suggests that they have poor hihicheckingtos, is not it? The man has funy and smelling little webbed toes.
Speaker 3: It's giving two.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think the whole thing of it, if you are to analyze it, is that it's indicative of bigger things that people don't like about others. It's basically this is just like reverse red flags. Yeah, and like dating is superficial.
Speaker 3: If people dated more aspirationally, right, they really thought about their morals and their values or whatever that would have come up in the trent. But people said he has long fingernails, she cries when she's mad. He double texts, she doesn't have close friends. Whatever this is. These are things that are important to people, more important than the things that we feel are the right things to be mindful of. Like nobody said he's a ten but he's conservative because they weren't thinking about that. It wasn't the priority.
Speaker 2: Part of that is that, because it's an imaginary game, you're just popping up and thinking of someone in the top of your head. Whereas if you were actually dating someone that did have long fingernails, of course you can look past it. You're not gonna take points off me.
Speaker 3: You look at me in the eye and say you won't do it. You won't do it. I would? You would?
Speaker 1: You've been listening to the Flex and Frooms catch up podcast. For more, tune in to Kata on Da b Well check it out right here on iHeartRadio.