Speaker 1: Hey, legends, welcome back to the Mason Cock Show. Massive, massive episode. Today. We're gonna cover some Olympic stuff because honestly, that is everything everyone wants talking about right now. But we are gonna get into Pototy, also Essendon, Sydney, it going on there. We're gonna cover that. And then also this big week you can almost say its someone's four hundred game, which is a huge accomplishment. We talk about that much much more obviously, Scott Piondabury playing his four hundred game against the arch rival Carlton. That's a big one. We're gonna dive into that one and much much more starting on this episode, starting now. All right, legends plenty to cover, as we mentioned in this podcast, without further ado, let's get straight into this bread and welcome. I am disgustedson, how your negativy at the beginning of these things. It's always every every week you're just firing off on someone.
Speaker 2: I'm throwing a cavball in this one because I was driving home late last night and I put on the radio as I do, just unwined and forget about my life.
Speaker 1: And I.
Speaker 3: Isn't that what everyone does?
Speaker 2: And I was driving home and I felt like smashing my car into the side concrete walls on the highway because I heard a song on the radio that did not meld well with my ears. I felt like scratching my ear drums out and stabbing them in with pencils. Hey, I feel like everyone lies about Nickelback.
Speaker 1: He talks.
Speaker 2: Sorry, Actually, someone was saying last last week. I think it's just because you're a footballer and the podcast is named after you. But they were like, oh, I loved hearing Mason sing. That was great, And then they were like, Bryden never ever sing again. But I'll tell you what, I could do a better job than Katie Perry's going to do it this year's Grand Final because I heard her new song whatever the crap it was called, and it it was that bad. They owned it in They would have wrote that thing in like thirty seconds, and it was like, it's the worst thing. And her new album is getting like just absolutely smashed, Like if this single they normally pick out the best single, and they released that if this is the best of what's what's on this album? Oh my goodness, and no wonder we got her for the Grand Final. It's like We don't get them when they're on the way up. We get them when they're coming back down and oh my god. Yeah, so they're playing this and I don't know. I don't, I don't.
Speaker 1: It's not a catchy tune.
Speaker 2: It's not going to go off at the MCG Grand Final day and no one's going to be singing that.
Speaker 3: It's it's that, it's going to be singing raw.
Speaker 1: That's all we want to hear.
Speaker 2: Yeah, surely there's I've heard a couple of segments on the radio and they're like, oh, what's your favorite Katy Perry song? And like, no one can think of many? Popping to mind. What's the one with Snoop Dogg in it?
Speaker 1: I don't know, the one with the sharks and stuff jumping around and sing in the dancing, the other one I do. Look. My favorite quote, or probably line of Katy Perry, and this is a word for word line in one of her songs is do you ever feel like a plastic bag drifting through the wind wanting to start again?
Speaker 3: That's what you do.
Speaker 1: Writing these things? Someone just driving home like you're saying depressed, his hell, listen to the radio seeing a plastic bag rolled across go I've actually got a great line for that.
Speaker 3: The next single, it's yeah, it's shocking.
Speaker 2: I don't know, like normally you get ghost writers to make your songs better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well yeah, I mean she's you know, I can't really talk to us. She's actually a Texas born native, so she's one of me.
Speaker 3: Makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 1: Were we goes to my clanger? That's your clanger, rights, Harmy Thomas. I know if you saw us over the weekend, she's the waist, an absolute open goal, nothing between him and the goal square and except for Jesse Hogan, maybe you kind of got in the way. Whenever we tried to kick the goal. It couldn't have been out what they called out the back or something the goose or really Joe the goose kind of thing. Yeah, that thing the umpires and not commentators say all the time, Joel the goose and he's out the back and he kicks it into his own teammate. There's no one else there, like truly, you do the unselfish act and you just give the handball let him, can it now? Now it gets a bit gets a bit selfish, goes for the goals and yeah it wasn't a pretty sight. I feel it wasn't a pretty.
Speaker 2: Such Jesse Hogan has taken a lot of one on one marks.
Speaker 3: Not a lot of spill into ground.
Speaker 2: He wins something like forty five percent of one on one content. Serious. So yeah, So when you're a small forward and you're running, Jesse Hogan's not giving you many crumbs to eat, so you got to just take what you can take.
Speaker 1: He's probably gone, Jesse, you're a bit selfish taking so much from us.
Speaker 3: That's crazy. For that one on one stature he just marks.
Speaker 1: That's absurd. Well, he also plays deepest, which is easiest one on one spot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you would do the same if you were. Do you play deepest?
Speaker 1: I never to play deepest, because I'm the guy that stands there and they kick to me and everyone jumps on top of me, and then we go from there to the deepest, which is one on one appabat.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the trampoline.
Speaker 1: I'm essentially the Empire steep building that's getting it jumped on by King Kong.
Speaker 2: Can I ask you just because I don't know the answer, but we can. We can do this after the fact. What do you think, Joe the goosey is like, where did that saying come from?
Speaker 3: Where did it originate? And what does it mean? Originally?
Speaker 1: I have not it. Who's Joe is Joe the goose? Who is Joe?
Speaker 2: Is Joe the goose? Or is Joe the Goose's owner?
Speaker 1: I feel like, what's the step in rugby? They call it like a goose step?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the goosey goo goose step.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's like something to do with that where you kind of I don't know, you fake one thing, you actually do another. Joe the Goose, I don't know. Joe the goose just makes no sense to me. I don't know. We're gonna have to do some researching or something. But this is Australia, right, we just make shit up. Let's be honest and half the stuff you guys say we say, I can say we now one of you, one of us. It doesn't make sense. What's as you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Usa Beanie.
Speaker 2: We'll get to.
Speaker 3: We'll get to the results.
Speaker 2: Carlton big loss to Port Adelaide at home, which is pretty crazy. North Melbourne you know, hung in there for a while against Geelong, but eventually Geelong went over the top.
Speaker 3: Gold Coast first loss.
Speaker 2: At home this year in the Q clash, Brisbane on fire Saint Kilda, massive win both on the scoreboard and just in general against Essendon, where are they at Melbourne? Big loss, big loss at home, close game, but they needed that one. Freo eventually got over the top of West Coast. It looked very dicey in the first half and West Coast beat them earlier in the year, so didn't know what was going to happen there. Collingwood finally got an win on the board against Richmond Sydney. That's probably the craziest loss of the round against Western Bulldogs who are just in absolute form. Adelaide went down to Hawthorne, who are just bullying teams at the moment. That's crazy. So let's jump straight into the hot topics. Yeah, and it doesn't get much hotter at the moment than the Olympics. So we'll start not in footy. You weren a USA beanie. I gotta ask you after tub who are you following or are you just taking both side?
Speaker 1: I'm following Australians, but I might split between the two right, So like gymnastics, I'll show he doesn't really have like a gymnastics team doing that. So like USA, right, so Mom Barle's ridiculous. I was learning a bit more about her and what she's doing, and like, she is incredible if you watch her do what she does and then you watch the competitors do the same thing, Like on the floor, she is doing stuff that just it makes the other people look childish. It looks like they're not even in the same league or it's like some amateur league. Before I'm like, it is insane. She's got out of the five competition things they do so like Matt's bars but beam kind of thing, all that stuff. I think, yeah, Will ferrell Snoop Dogg. I think four out of the five she has individual like tricks like a stunts that you probably call it, yeah stunt she dies that are named after her because no one else in the history of gymnastics has been able to do it. That's wild. And then I think this one, if she debuts something on the bars, she's essentially got one in every single category named after her because no one else in like the world has ever been able to do it in a competition.
Speaker 3: That's crazy.
Speaker 1: And like, I just she is blowing my mind. I just kind of always like, yeah, she's a freak athlete. She's hell good at what she does. And I found out more of the details of kind of what she's doing and I was like, oh, this is like a once in a lifetime talent, which is pretty cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's crazy.
Speaker 2: What are you thinking of a move that you can pull out on the footy field? Calm down, they can call the cocks.
Speaker 3: Oh look he's whipped out the cooks.
Speaker 1: Oh the cocks. He's got to jump on by seven people this time now. Ah yeah, it's the unselfish bro rib and busted head. Yeah. Oh also big fan got shout out Jess Fox flag bearer for Australia one gold the other day and credit to her. It's a lot of pressure being in that scenario and she, you know, had this heat where I think she was like eight, the one to say, and then she did really well in the last one, but because she was eight, she was like the first one to go and she had to wait for all the other competitors to go, so it was like a real nervous experience, but she won gold. Grawts to her absolutely amazing, great representative for Australia over there at the Olympic Games, and just want to give a massive shout to her. A pretty cool achievement and something every Australian should be proud of.
Speaker 2: What's the difference between a kayak and a canoe?
Speaker 1: A kayak and a canoe. A canoe has more than one person. I think it's a bit longer.
Speaker 3: He won gold in the canoeing.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't think they've competed yet, but I think she has' sister is competing in another kind of water sport that is like kayaker canoeing, but in a different type of it.
Speaker 2: Family.
Speaker 1: Also, she apparently speaks French.
Speaker 2: Well, there you go, learning a lot learning heaps. I want to learn something else about this block that retrieves the swimming cat.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, this was one of my favorite moments, probably the funniest moment, I would say, so far of the Olympic Games. A man who is I don't know if he's just like a on the side as a spectator or what, but he essentially gets called down to the pool for an emergency. Right, there's a swimming cap that has managed to come off someone's head or something and float down to the bottom of the pool. And this is a priority for some reason. I have no idea. I don't I can't imagine it would affect anyone's time and they're swimming. But the man does what he has to do, and what he's there for is to take his shirt off, take his pants off, go straight into his jocks, strut around the pool, let the crowd get into it, dive headfirst in, grab the cap, give it a twirl, and get it out of there. It was actually is a really lovely moment because everyone, obviously, as soon as he got out of the pool was just yes, so yes, sir, well god absolutely legend. He had real bright jocks on too. It wasn't just like black. It wasn't just like white feels white.
Speaker 3: If he didn't didn't wear jocks that day, you're in trouble.
Speaker 2: I want to I think the same two questions that every listener would have on their mind right now. One, why wouldn't a swimmer just jump in and grab it?
Speaker 1: How cold was the pool?
Speaker 3: Third question, I just want to know what his rigs like?
Speaker 1: Good righ, he's an older fellow. You're right, he's probably involved in swimming in some capacity. I'm sure. I did find it weird that the people that swim didn't go in and get it, but maybe they want to stay dry for some reason something surely like there was a lifeguard there, but the lifeguard didn't jump in to get it, which I was like baffled by. I was like, Yo, this is your job.
Speaker 2: Well, wouldn't it be embarrassing if you dived in to save a swimming cap and someone drowned in the meantime?
Speaker 3: That wouldn't be great, would it?
Speaker 1: You?
Speaker 2: Gotto the world, brother, por he knows what he's there for.
Speaker 1: One more Olympic thing before we move on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I like to bring this up every time the Olympics is on. The most iconic moment, like maybe probably doesn't edge Kathy Freeman's run, but it's very close.
Speaker 3: Second Eric the Eel, the Heel.
Speaker 1: I only learned about this recently and it is one of the best stories ever.
Speaker 2: It's it's fun to go back and watch because it's very inspirational and it's very reminiscent of who's the old bloke that was ice skating and Stephen Bradbury Bradbury, Yeah, Bradbury, Brad's the cricketer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, ninety nine point ninety six. Everyone I know, my Australian knowledge.
Speaker 2: Because that would have been on the citizen. But yeah, what were your impressions when you did see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was pretty cool. I don't know, like I didn't understand Polly what was going on. And now I watched a bit of a documentary on him, and like he was training in like a twenty meter hotel pool around guests. That's how I trained for the Olympic Games. He had never seen the Olympic sized pool until he showed up at the Sydney Olympics and he's like, wow, that's a lot bigger than I imagined, and it is quite daunting whenever you go up and you see how long the freaking pool is and all you've been doing his laps and this guy like I didn't even know. He looked like he had borrowed someone's goggles and was like jumped in and he got there, and then on the way back it kind of got a bit dicey. He kind of was like one of those things where I was I don't know that lifeguard might be getting getting his paycheck pay today, and credit to him. I want to put this out there though, because obviously, in like eight years, the Olympics are coming to Brisbane. They're doing that. Maybe the Gold Coasts a bit too. I'm putting a petition out there to get Eric the Eel back. Give him a second go. Let him wait, like better than I think the two minutes it took him to swim that. Let's give him a second go. You know. I just feel like from the Sydney Olympics to the next time the Olympics are in US Astralia, we need to see the evolution of the eel.
Speaker 2: And we're one hundred percent sure that Eric the Eel is alive.
Speaker 1: Nope, it's very similar to the lightning strike I we talked about. But Eric the Eel, we'll invite you back to Australia. If there's anyone else an equatorial New Guinea I think is raised from that's a swimmer, come along. We'll invite you too. We'll give you the whole pool to yourself again, buddy. It will have a whole crowd for you. I guarantee you we would be able to sell out tickets to watch you just dominate the pool band.
Speaker 2: I feel like that just gives me anxiety, Like I just get throwbacks to when I was like in the primary school swimming races, and I knew how slow I was going, and like in between strokes, you're looking up and everyone's just looking at you, like why is he going?
Speaker 3: What's he doing?
Speaker 2: Imagine that, but on the scale that is the entire planet Earth is watching it, swim this lap, doing anything in that. Man, many people are watching it.
Speaker 1: In so and you went out, there was three there and then the other two had like a false start, and they're like, oh, no, clear the pool. Clear the pool for the guy has never seen the Olympics side swimming pool. Let him have as much space as poss.
Speaker 2: If you're lining up next to Eric the Eel and you're like, ah, he's got me beat you're definitely doing the false start. You're not going to get beaten by Eric.
Speaker 1: You need to setup your game up. If he does that in Brisbane, I'm sorry, false started. Learn my lesson.
Speaker 2: They're like, oh, he's been training in a twenty meter pool. Apparently I've never seen one. And I want to ask you this, what sports? Because they keep adding sports to the Olympics, all these crappy ones.
Speaker 3: Skateboarding pretty cool.
Speaker 2: I don't mind skateboarding, break dancing, okay, yeah, okay, yeah, we're starting to get it's a pretty slippery slope. So I want to add in some crap of sports. No, what sports would you add to the Olympics.
Speaker 1: Well, flag football is coming to the US Olympics, which is interesting because it's a very American sport. NFL to be having that as an Olympic sport unique. Yeah, I think the oviest ones are like cricket AFL Nines, like rugby is already in it. I'm trying to think of like some like maybe frisbee golf. Yeah, dude, that'd be six man. Have you seen some of the throws that do that'd be insane? Yeah. I think that's like a very skilled thing that's unique and different. That would be kind of cool to it.
Speaker 3: But it's a few of those golfs.
Speaker 2: The soccer golf, yes, oh yeah, soccer for soccer volleyball dude, yes.
Speaker 1: These guys are like doing like Coppa ware or whatever it is, kicking the ball over That is insane. Man, that's like straight up Brazil's winning that every year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we need to pick a sport where we can compete and it can't be drinking.
Speaker 1: Actually, that's a way, beer pong, that's way better sport. I'll just do that. Yeah, can you imagine? I reckon that would be the most followed Olympic event in the history of the Olympics. If you said, you know what we're doing, what's called the beer Olympics. Do that alongside? Why doesn't barstool figure this out?
Speaker 3: Isn't it like the Ocho Games? What's that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I don't know. We should be doing that. Like during COVID everyone did like the family games of like blowing like through a straw and trying to get something to the other side, and the quickest marble races and everything else.
Speaker 3: Like Olympics up in Nimburn.
Speaker 1: I'm sure that was a Yeah, no drug testing up there.
Speaker 2: You know you're got to run away with two buckets of product and and you got to run away from like the police that are chasing you and stuff. They like this is the little thing. Yeah, yeah, yeah, check it out. That's probably similar. But we went I'm thinking like pickleball or something, just.
Speaker 1: Like I'm kidding, pile.
Speaker 2: I'll give you that anyway.
Speaker 1: Not hate me in the comments, like don't do that.
Speaker 2: You can't say a fl In Australia, everyone gets all shitty that you try to share their sport. How dare they jump into this one because everyone's talking about it, the dead sea gull that dropped from the sky in bomb in the Collingwood Rich game. Where were you when the when the seagull dropped from the sky and what are your your conspiracies on it?
Speaker 1: I legit, legit did not see it during the game. Always saw it wheneber utilally showed me. And this thing was wild, like it wasn't like a floated down. It was head first coming for the turf man like I don't know what it hit or what happened. I reckon it was assassination to him. I'm just starting out there. They missed and it clipped a wing and that thing went straight south. But no, I was it was absurd. And then the bird just kind of like got up. It was like that concussion protocols, no such thing. Let's go, let's move on, just kind of floats off and does himself just flies around the mcg gat knowing the shit other people.
Speaker 2: So we saw the seagull fall from the sky, and did we have eyes on Scott Pendlebury is there? He is he just the bird killer or he.
Speaker 1: Was the assassination guy.
Speaker 3: It's like something I gonna go. I'll be back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I did get subbed in the fourth quarter. I'm not sure if he's on the back of the bench or not. Maybe there's a question marks around that I can't confirm or deny it.
Speaker 2: Bro And he's sitting at the back of the bench and he's like puff a jacket and they're just blood on his face.
Speaker 1: Where'd you go?
Speaker 2: Bathroom?
Speaker 1: Bathroom, toilet? Right?
Speaker 2: Anyway, let's not keep harping on this because we might be Pendals needs to be available for his four hundredth He can't be arrested.
Speaker 1: Oh, before we move on from seagulls, I want to bring up another Olympic thing. This is an Olympic theme podcast. At the beginning, we're getting into footy, don't get me wrong, but we need to go back to Seoul Soul, South Korea. I want to say, is where that's located? Is that correct? Yeah? Okay, correct, we'll fact check that later. Anyway, Soul in the Olympics. Right. I saw this video because obviously I'm getting pumped through my social media all this like Olympic stuff and the cauldron and Snoop Dogg holding the stuff and all its jazz happening, and there was this thing that popped up. I thought it was one of the funniest, most crude, ridiculous videos. At the same time, it was in Soul. They're doing the big lighting the cauldron. There's two people there. There's like this massive kind of bowl they're about to light up to start the Olympic Games, and like awkwardly, as they're getting lifted up to this bowl, there's about thirty pigeons and like they almost looked like doves, they like white doves essentially, and they're sitting on the outside of this bowl that was doves wood and then public place, and they're sitting there with the flame, going, well, what do we do. We're not going to wait for them to leave, So they put it in there and I guess there's like, you know, flame in there, there's some gas going in there, and they light that and then all of a sudden, the thing just goes fuck it like it's like a barbecue that had been kind of running a little bit too long on the gas line kind of puffs up and sends your eyebrows. It essentially that, but all those doves got absolutely singed, and one of them flew off and it looked like a rocket with the smoke trail coming from its ass at the joint. It was actually cooked bad. It was barbecued dove at the beginning of the Olympics and soul and then it like there was a visual on it. And then it was like I could just hear in my head of like the producer in the background going cut to something else, get to anywhere else, but the dove's burning alive, and he's like, okay, we'll cut the people just clipping. It's like, I don't know if that's better or worse.
Speaker 3: That's so bad.
Speaker 2: It reminds me of the Today Show one where the guy casts the They're like, oh, we'll give you one cast into this lake to see if he could catch this fish that was in the lake. Anyway, he starts reeling in and a duck shoots across and he hooks the duck and he's reeling the duck and he's turning around, he's turning he's turning around to the camera and he's like, cut to something else, cut something else, cut something else. They cut back to the studio and Karl Stefanovic says, picking duck anyone.
Speaker 3: So good.
Speaker 2: I can talk about Karl stefanovit clips. Have you seen the one, the one with Carl Stefanovic sits down.
Speaker 1: With the Gandhi, the Gandhy.
Speaker 2: Karl Stefanovic sits down with the Dala Lama and he says, says. The Dalai Lama walks into the pizza restaurant and he says, can you make me one with everything? And then Dalai Lama looks off to his translator, nods and looks back and he's like, you wouldn't work.
Speaker 1: What is this real? This is all Hi said that on live television.
Speaker 2: He tried to tell the Dalai Lama a joke. He said, you're going to a pizza restaurant, You're asked one with everything.
Speaker 1: That's the most Australian goes straight over his head. Anywayslation, let's move on to the next thing. Harry MacKaye play this week.
Speaker 3: I want to bring this up.
Speaker 2: This isn't like we can't say anything about this because we're not doctors, but we did speak about Harry MacKaye playing out the game, passing his hia not con cast and then unfortunate we put that to one side, and then through two incidents that aren't related in any way, shape or form. He was out late sick with illness before this game, So anyone thinking that those two things are related probably not.
Speaker 3: No, No, they're not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I spe to the next thing anyway, So we go straight.
Speaker 2: Into the derby derby where fourteen players were fined in the game, and if they all take early, please, that's twenty one thousand, eight hundred and seventy five dollars.
Speaker 3: They're just racking it up.
Speaker 1: That is, if I was going to have a hell of a Christmas party at the end of the year, can you have you reckon? We could you reckon? We could be invited to that party. I think maybe over one hundred k now, easy, easy, easy.
Speaker 3: I think they will tell you the wrong location.
Speaker 1: The nineteenth doll days and that's where it's at. They've have to invite me to a Brownlow that something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, true, Well, I don't know. They're raking in a lot of cash. I don't know about this system where I don't know.
Speaker 1: SEVENTYI was that Butter's playing proof last week?
Speaker 3: Jump the fence, Jump the fence around out.
Speaker 1: There the street. He's like five top of the tab.
Speaker 2: One of those isn't Harley Red, but most fights were about Harley Reed. Like he gets inside people's heads, but not intentionally. I don't reckon.
Speaker 3: He's really outseats.
Speaker 1: He's got a bit of spunk to him. I love it. Yeah, I mean there was one whenever we played him last year, kind of me after I took a mirk and I kind of looked at him. I just kind of started smiling. It's just like he's a solid boy.
Speaker 3: That's crazy.
Speaker 1: Some of these he's just he's got that confidence, a little bit of swag, and that's like as a young young fellow, and that's going really well.
Speaker 2: I love it some of the Yeah, some of these kids coming through. So there's like him, who's obviously great. There's like Hawthorn, Nick Watson and all of that from Hawthorne and stuff, all these really young players with all this swagger. Firstly, in your early days, like year one, year two, are you thinking speaking out You're talking to the old players telling him what to do. You're pushing them, shoving them your.
Speaker 1: I was sitting there in the corner like trying to translate what the hell was being said. Yeah, I mean even to today. I feel like I'm just kind of like, you know, they're like, oh you big fella, just just go down line, mate, just just block or do something please.
Speaker 3: It's pretty wild.
Speaker 1: I like.
Speaker 3: I like it.
Speaker 2: I still think it's going to take a lot of Australians time to get up to speed with it, and clubs in general, Like, yeah, obviously it takes some kind of tick off for the coach to say that they're okay with it. I doubt Nick Watson's doing the ice in my veins and like they're taking photos with guinea and all of that stuff. If sam Mitchell had an issue with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But sam Mitchell's like kind of a bit younger than most coaches playing in the league, so I think he gets it. Yeah. And also he's like, oh, if this is who my players are and this is like kind of you know, the environment they want to be in, it's like, okay, Well, if he wants to go recruit, he's like, hey, we're having a good time. You can see it, like out on the field, like we're enjoying ourselves. Like you're going to have an enjoyable a few years here if you signed with us, Like it's almost like a selling point two at times. Yeah, So this new generation of kids coming through, they're like, oh wait, I can just be on social media and I get like berated by the you know, the media team and everyone else saying like you can't do anything, you have to fit inside this box and be a robot. Oh I can just be myself sick, Like, I'm all down for that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I look at someone like Bailey Smith who is out of contract looking for somewhere to go reportedly, and he would slot straight into that. He actually did the ice in my veins, he was like one of the first guys to do it. So yeah, it is a good selling point, marketing point for some of these young, exciting players coming through. This one was brought up during the week from the GWS team GWS Giants team grad they're the Orange Ones, Orange team actually yeah, and I love them, So I don't need this because I know all of the players, their dates of birth, their height. I don't know they're playing weight because we're not allowed to anymore. But they want to put players names on the back of footy jumpers. Yeap, are you four or against that? I'm trying to think of the pros and cons of having players' names on the back of their jumper.
Speaker 1: I'm off for it. Or warm up tops have our names on the back of them, so like if you see it's warm up like you can see it's like big forty six and then Cocks above it. Yeah, So if you want to see like a visual what looks like, just look at our kind of warm up tops and it actually looks fine. I don't think it's like out of place, but I think there's this I don't know why people hate it so much and have such a problem with it, Like what's the what's the downside to it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't even know if people hate it, they.
Speaker 1: Didn't complain about someone knowing who they are.
Speaker 2: I did it for around or whatever, like years ago, and I think it's great for well player recognition if you've got like kids going to the game and stuff like who's that tall as Oh, it's Mason Cocks. And then I think it's great for sales when you change jumpers and you change players names and stuff like if I bought number four forty six on the back of my jumper and then heaven forbid in five six years when you retire, some some spud comes through and starts wearing forty six. I want him to know that I got the big Coxy's number on the back. I don't want to be associated with him like you. It kind of cements that in a moment in time because you see a lot of that as well. You get it and a player gets traded away and someone takes his jumping number and stuff like that. So it's great for sales because like each time the new jumper comes out, you've got to upgrade it. You got the name on the back and all of that stuff. You can't wear it forever because if they do move on, you've got to buy the new thing. So that's that's a sales tactic.
Speaker 1: Probably a controversial thing. But like why do we have numbers? Uh hm? Is there ever ever thought about this? Like why don't we just have something else, Like would be cool to have like a now like Jammy Elliott be like a zebras. Why do we have numbers? I know it's a way of identifying players, but like, surely just everyone knows their name. If you don't know their name, then like we can have another way to be able to name.
Speaker 2: For stats, you can see numbers big from ages away and then you couldn't fit a full like imagine trying to fit Marcus Bontompelli like in big riding on a back and then see it from ages away. You just see that he's number. What number is he harrow number?
Speaker 1: For?
Speaker 2: Everyone knows that good pass there now because of that, This is a byproduct question that I had. Should all players in the AFL where protective headgear helmets?
Speaker 1: Oh, we're getting there, We are getting there. I think you see in the NFL now like their preseason training camps and stuff, they have to wear kind of like a bubble helmet around their actual helmets.
Speaker 3: Seen crazy, that's huge.
Speaker 1: It makes them look like bumble massive. Yeah, So there has been like precautions obviously, and that's like one of the kind of leagues that I think a lot of leagues look to for advice and where they're going and how it's all happening. If you look at that and the trend that's going that direction, like I think it actually will be probably required at some point in the future. I'm not sure when that point is going to be, but obviously with more information coming around concussion and everything else, like it is going to be one of those things. It's just a requirement. I think it takes a few people to do it to like make it, you know, not a stigma, and then like everyone starts doing it and then it's like all part of it. Right. It's kind of a weird thing though, because Australia doesn't like change. That's one thing I've realized, Like, I mean, you've worn the same sleeveless jumpers in the middle of winter for no reason. You've worn the same booty shorts they're short as hell during the middle of winter. Also, like you think at some point someone and then like people get shipped for wearing long sleeves, and it's like you think, at some point we would just go, oh, yeah, it's freezing cold outside, like that would probably be a lot more comfortable to wear long sleeves or wear like an undershirt underneath it or something like that, or you know, wear longer shorts.
Speaker 3: Maybe like the shorts thing.
Speaker 2: I don't know what if you're rolling out there in cargo.
Speaker 1: Shorts, any bets longer shorts, why couldn't we all do that? I think the clubs just don't want to deal with a different size short and have to make something unique.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anyway, I think that the helmet thing. I feel like people say that the head is sacri saying, but then there's a heap of like exempt wear helmets.
Speaker 1: We'd better be having a name on the back of which jumpers'garding no idea.
Speaker 2: Who's well they go like the head sacks saying, oh we should all wear helmets. Nah, but then we don't get to see their faces. And their faces they're pretty and they market and they sell, so like or do the helmets just not do enough?
Speaker 1: I'll be honest, I didn't know, Like hell danielhears a helmet all the time, right Yeah, And for the longest time, I actually, if you were to walked past milling Stream, I probably wouldn't have recognized him, just because my picture of him was always with the helmet on, because that's how I saw him in public sense, because it was always like on camera on the football field, right Yeah. So for a long time, like I just I don't know, like I probably wouldn't recognize him if he walked past me. Yeah, So I get that side of it, I do, But yeah, eventually I think we're all have to wear helmets. Give it. I'll give it fifteen years Brandon, you just write that down. Fifteen years, we're old, we wearing helmets.
Speaker 2: I've written that down. You get that cool. I want to pull this one out. I want to go into Simon Goodwin was cleared to coach on the weekend after spending three nights in hospital, which is pretty amazing. He was he copped an infection at the start of the week and that required an IV drip and they were saying that he was on the zooms for all the meetings, didn't miss a single meeting. I feel like that's one of those ones where miss a meeting, mate miss I.
Speaker 1: Mean, getting wins on the board for them pretty important at the moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but this is like the the head Sacris saying, except for this, this and this, It's like we care for our people except for when we need our bloody win. Like they had the Harry situation, we have the Jeremy Cameron situation. It's like we are for people, but we still put wins over everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, I don't know how serious this was throughout those three days, but in hospital it's obviously serious. But I mean, like he might have you know, been told you can't leave hospital for three days just in case, like the worst happens, right, Like I think I must some of my medical stuff and like you're not allowed to leave hospital for a certain amount just because you're going to need emergency you know, care right away. So I don't know that situation with him, but I mean he's a head coach and he loves his job. I'm assuming, so you know, you want to be involved in it, and I get that side of it, but yeah, you do have to. There's a certain point where it's like you know, with anything with health, it's like there's serious and there's like stuff that's like life threatening that you go, holy smokes, like I need to step away from football. And there's other things where maybe you're in hospital and you're kind of like on a drip, but like you're just sitting around all day and you go one might as well might as well be in meetings, right. Yeah. So I don't know, I don't know the details to it, but I think it's a sign that he does care. Yeah, and we care for you, Simon.
Speaker 3: Get healthy, Get healthy, Simon.
Speaker 2: We'll jump into the big winners, none bigger than the Western Bulldogs.
Speaker 3: I think this week traveled up.
Speaker 2: To Sydney and starts the team that's on top of the ladder, and it's crazy. They're still a game and a half on top of the ladder and they've lost four of their last five. But we'll get to that. They are the King Slayers, the Western Bulldogs. They've beaten Sydney, Carlton and Geelong in the last three rounds. Jamara Huglehagen on fire again with four goals and Adam Trelaw our boy, Adam Trelaw forty odd touches again. He just racks them up every single week and I feel like he must just watch that clip. No actually knowing him, he doesn't care at all, but there's some people out there that would be watching.
Speaker 3: I be one.
Speaker 2: I put my hand up watching that all Australian selection video that Fox put together and no one mentioned his name one single time really, and he's been racking them up every single week. Last week he had thirty plus and kick three goals against Geelong in Geelong.
Speaker 1: And who's the Australia Rock this year, Brodie Grundy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, probably not Adams for long?
Speaker 3: But are you interesting?
Speaker 2: Are you just thinking about Yeah.
Speaker 1: That's because that's the position I play and it's the best the best position.
Speaker 2: It's had a great year, very underrated year, but you probably just miss out because you're injured.
Speaker 1: That's yeah, that's the reasoning for sure. They get to that and they can't fit the jacket to make it big enough for me.
Speaker 2: That thread too much for the big brig.
Speaker 1: Crowd ads though, I do want to give to him because he's absolutely dominating. He's killing it. And credit to the West and Bulldogs because they are on that streak you could say, and the very end of the year where it's necessary to be able to have a bit of momentum going too finals. We're going to talk about that with some other teams, but credits West and Bulldogs are absolute killing it at the moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you want to win games going into finals. Apparently that's a good sign that because we're getting into some of these Port Adelaide big win on the road because they definitely needed it and it gives them that little bit of because they come up against the Sydney Swes in Adelaide, which is, you know, a.
Speaker 3: Big, big team, big game for them.
Speaker 2: But Kenny Hinckley, he was you know, they sacked him the other week and he's done what Ken Hinckley does every year, gets his team to finals. But you know there's still a few games left to go. GWS on the road another big win for them getting over the line against Melbourne. Goodie coaching from his deathbed in hospital. We look at them and they're a team that is fine in form right now. Jesse Hogan is just dominating the competition. And Toby Green, who's been a bit down this season, he's really finding form and he's he's not only kicking goals, he's assisting. He's a lot of assists. Out of those three, who are you picking for the biggest win of the week.
Speaker 1: I want to go probably the Bulldogs. I think they've solidified the fact that they're a good team, not just a good team, a team that's going to make a Denton finals for sure. And then you look like two weeks ago, maybe people were going, oh, maybe they'll make finals. I'm not really too sure kind of thing.
Speaker 3: I've seen it before.
Speaker 2: Like that people are saying, like we've seen it before, but now there's.
Speaker 1: No question marks anymore. They're legit. So I think they're the big winners. Yeah, beating some of those top teams up there and doing it convincingly too is definitely a massive confidence booster for them going in the finals.
Speaker 2: It's going to be frustrating for their fans that it's like they always seem to leave their run really late, and even when they've made the Grand Final, they've done it from outside the top four, so they have to buck the trend of history to get there. But interesting, there's still a chance top four and it's got to give you that much confidence that you've beaten three of the top four teams if you're one of them. Like now, they just have to take on Freo and they another thing last round of the year for them, they have to go to Ballarat diverse gws.
Speaker 3: That's why I don't know who did that to him.
Speaker 2: But and we'll give a shout out to the Hawks because we can't talk about the Bulldogs without talking about Hawthorne because they're probably the two most informed teams in the comp and they're fighting for top eight.
Speaker 1: Slot and top eight might be top four pretty quickly. Think always some of the teams are losing on the top fourth amament.
Speaker 2: So it's only in the top four right now. The super convincing team is obviously Brisbane. They're going to get Harris Andrews back because they sent Eric Eric the el Eric the hip Wood. They sent him back and he was holding on for grim life. So they need to get Harris and Andrews, Harris and Harris Andrews.
Speaker 1: Telling everyone Harrison True, Harris Andrews back out there, telling everyone what to do. Let's go into the losers.
Speaker 2: There's no bigger loser this week than the Essendon Football Club.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 2: It's rough because they've had a couple of, you know, bad losses, but this one. You go out there against Saints who aren't a chance to make finals. You're playing it, you know, you're both home grounds. Yeah, and you get flogged by fifty odd points. It's just your fans rock up and expect more than that. And to have that dished up when finals are like well and truly on the line there clinging to a spot in the eight when people thought they were a chance to finish in the top four at a stage only a couple of weeks ago. Very interesting. And how did you see that one?
Speaker 1: Yeah? It is it was a thrushover the weekend. That's not what their fans would want to see. They I saw this video of a fan throwing a scarf on the stands out onto the field at one point they were not happy. But the interesting thing is, like us not really riddled with injuries. I think Ridley is the only sorry the pun but Ridley's the only one I think that is probably in their best twenty three right now. He's got a little hip injury from the weekend, I want to say, But the rest of it, it's just them. They just need to find form. So I can understand as Essendon fans, I feel like Essendon fans are, you know, they're hesitant to get ahead of themselves. You could say, maybe like with their past experiences.
Speaker 2: Maybe, Yeah, they're just tum traumatized.
Speaker 1: They're very traumatized. They have some psychology issues they needed to work out, that's for sure. But yeah, I mean I still think they're a really good team. They're in that kind of mix of people just trying to find form going into the back of the back of the year. And if they can do it the next few weeks, you know, we can have this conversation and be on the other end of Essenon's a really good team. So yeah, they've shown their best and like that. They can get into finals and be a finals team that can do damage. But right now they just need to get back to their best, really into better ways than what they're playing right now. I think is a pretty easy statement they would probably agree with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it reminds me of a couple of my favorite talkback calls of all time. The block that was a Richmond supporter and put his membership in the microwave. Gosh and the guy they called up and said that he's spewed over himself.
Speaker 1: Oh that's I'll let you play that one.
Speaker 3: I love some of those.
Speaker 2: But yeah, we actually just had a podcast come through here the other day and they said, one of the best money making ventures you could like come up with is selling tickets to people, to fans to have the opportunity to come in and spray the team. What so, Fly, you've had a massive loss? Fly goes all right, mate, over to over to the fans, then.
Speaker 1: Over to Jacko's words of encouragement.
Speaker 2: He walks in there, He's like, fucking what were you doing? Mason Weeks pissed and he's gone around the room. I wonder how much you could charge for that experience?
Speaker 1: Oh? Man, I mean you can charge whatever you want, but good luck getting out of those rooms. Some d teen off in front of me. I'd be like, yo, hommy out there, and no cameras inside the team room. I'll tell you that that's betefit.
Speaker 2: That would have to be a bit of a revenue share model where the players get a little bit of kickback for just sitting there and comping it from JACKO.
Speaker 3: That's twenty pots.
Speaker 1: Then, well, they had what was it. Dave Hughes used to come out and give us spray to the boys, and it was that was something they used to do back in the day. But it was always kind of like a bit, you know. He was asking some players for some beef, you know, and something to kind of throw some players and whatnot, and he was funny that he's a good fellow. But yeah, I'd go five K five K, five K five K, and they'd be shipping themselves walking down the door. They wouldn't they wouldn't be able to tee off properly, and if they did t off, probably get to the point everyone just started laughing. Didn't care.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's no way that they could. I don't know. Anyway, I thought that was k quite hilarious. So we all seen the videos where they're coming from the ground. They're getting absolutely braided. Boom, people are shouting out all kinds of obscenities and stupid things. Obviously we don't condone that, but like, what effect does that have on a player. I can't imagine you're going to roll out there and go like, I can't wait to play another game for these fans that are just absolutely giving it to me.
Speaker 1: Someone that's been booed many times in his life. Give you a little word of full nugget of advice there, Brighton. Yeah, it's not ideal, like you want obviously to be kind of like this community, feel of like us trying to reach this goal together, right, Yeah, Whenever you leave the field and people are berating you and saying you suck and everything else, it's like, well, that's not helping the situation, you know, like it's only making it worse. So I understand people get caught up in the emotions of the game, what's happened and all that kind of stuff, But I think at the end of the day, you have to realize that, like, if you want a team to be successful, you need to support them when times are rough. That's the only way you're going to be able to get through that and ou at the other end to hopefully have success. So to the fans out there doing there, look, I get it, you're upset, understandable, but if you want your team to play finals, you want a team to be well, provide support rather than be very critical.
Speaker 2: We did talk about this last year when Carlton got booed from the ground heading into the buy period. We're getting absolutely braided, and then they turn their season around. So I'm still on the fence about whether booing doesn't work. I think maybe there's if we keep our mind open to it.
Speaker 3: They Carton, they made it all the way to the pre limb.
Speaker 1: Have you been booing the colin for a walk over the last four games? Is that you keep hearing.
Speaker 3: That does go just a boo?
Speaker 2: Mason, you suck and you're like you're sitting in the stands.
Speaker 1: I work with you.
Speaker 3: That's been me all this time.
Speaker 1: How many bb easy you had today?
Speaker 2: And calm down, just lull it up, jump into the Carton game because they are also big losers, although they are still up high up there on the ladder. It's just a question that everyone has now around Carlton's defense and whether that can take them all the way through finals, because I feel like their crowd we saw it last year, will give them a kick.
Speaker 3: They give them that adrenaline rush.
Speaker 2: But yeah, they're currently sitting I believe it's second for scores four and somewhere around fourteenth for scores against. Yeah, heading into finals, no other team like up the top of the ladder is dealing with those kinds of numbers. Can they just absolutely staunch their way through it and just kick one hundred and twenty to one hundred or is it gonna be a problem come finals because what do we normally see in finals? Matter we see score shrink, defense gets tighter, defense wins premierships.
Speaker 1: It's very very true. Yeah, I'm not really too sure exactly. We'll go through it obviously with playing Carlton this week, but I think a lot of it people don't realize, like you know, whenever they say like defenses are struggling wherever it is, and they're like, go, okay, like let's blame this person, the key defender or the most known person in the back line, then you kind of think, okay, well, if you really break it down further it's like, well, how is it getting there? Is it, you know, something breaking down further off the field? Is it something where they're not keeping in the FOURD to fifty as much like, I think there's a lot more that goes to that number that people don't realize. They just go, oh, all right, you're not going so well here, we're gon we're gonna patch you for this, But there's probably other things happening that are leading to that. I would say, probably then just blame it on one person. Yeah, I think like you said, whenever you get the finals, though, like they definitely want to figure out kind of where it's all kind of happening and make sure they have a locked in idea of how they're going to want to set up their defense and make sure that they're all connected and on the same page going into a finals campaign. I think that's a very important thing, not only just from the back line, but like as a team and collective, you want to make sure that the you know, the game plan is crystal clear before you go out and do a finals campaign, because you don't want to be sitting there trying to fix things and realize this is the last game of the season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, you're right, and there's only a few games for them to turn it around and try some new things and change it up because you want that consistency heading into finals. The lack of TDK, how much impact you reckon that's having on Carlton.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's been stable for a while. Er. He's a fantastic player, you know. Araly's has been massive for them, obviously playing the right quite a bit more. Pittney over the weekend went pretty well, you know, and playing against Port Adelaide. But I think he's one of those players now they look at players that can change the game, and he's one of those and he will come back, Like he's not he's not done for the season, so he will come back and there will be a massive kind of boost for them. But yeah, I mean Robbie Williams, I heard he was crying in his bad just because TDK hadn't been in. But it's a credit to him because he's he's a gun player, Like, he's really good and he knows what he's doing. I think they've kind of you know, galvanized around him that midfield and stuff like that, so you know, to have familiar faces in there in the call face is definitely something that you want. And like we said last week, this is a massive opportunity for Putney to be able to try to submit himself and solidify himself into what will be a finals campaign for them and to him be a part of that more than anything over these next few weeks. So we'll see kind of how it pans out. But yeah, definitely TDK, you know you want him in the squad of your best twenty three.
Speaker 2: Yeah, any of those, any of the de Kernings have some more to Kernings. Sydney will just mention them, probably the last one because last week Horse was asked whether he hits the panic button and he kind of chortled and said, it's not really time to hit the panic button, And then Bulldogs went up to Sydney and schooled them on their home deck.
Speaker 3: So is it time for Sydney, who have lost four out of their last five.
Speaker 2: To start panicking because there's only four weeks heading into finals.
Speaker 1: Well, three of those four losses were like less than five points, correct, so they've been in close games. The Brisbane last was one, I think they lost like two points, and a few others, so yeah, like it's that you want to have those wins, obviously, and then you got was it perhaps as up for another four to five weeks and Rampy's out. I think another week with a CAF or something like that. I don't think it's panic stations. There's still four games left in the season. Like all you need is I think one or two good games to feel like you're in forum, right, But yeah, I don't think it's panic session. I hate panic stessons. I hate that word in the red button all kind of stuff. It's very graphic. It's real nuclear codes, press the button type suit scenario, isn't it. But I think like they just they went up against obviously bulldogs are in form, playing really well, not ideal home crowd. Always tough to lose in front of a home crowd. I think what they need more in anything is just like, hey, let's just go back to basics. Let's let's remember what we do really well. Let's just execute and just hone in on that and that will put us in a good stud for the rest of the year.
Speaker 2: It's going to be interesting because they have lost to teams that are primed for finals, and they're getting teams that are, you know, on the way up and finding form in the runner into finals, and they're losing. So it's been a good challenge and we'll see where it leads them to. So yeah, I don't know. We might panic stations next week if they go to Adelaide and Port wipe the floor with them.
Speaker 3: It's interesting.
Speaker 2: It's going to be another tough game, but they're all tough when you make finals. Mace As you can attest to a big finals player over there. Let's jump into Collingwood's game because it was all about one man, and it'd be about it'll be one man. It'd be one man next week. Mason Cox. I actually had you on Mason Cox watch on Triple M. I was driving my car and they were like Cox watch, Yeah, Cox Watch. They were different one, but they were. We kept going to man, give us Cox his numbers and then he'd say, like, he's had one touch, two touches.
Speaker 1: Was that actually something they did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they kept bringing that up, but they were pretty I reckon. For me, whenever you get to double digits, I'm like, fuck, he's had a big.
Speaker 1: Game, he's had a big he's got smacked a few times, he's.
Speaker 2: Been around it a lot, because if you're having ten, that man's you've been around.
Speaker 1: And all six clearances on the day, that was pretty big. I looked up the scoreboard. I think it was a number of two on clearances for the day. I was like, oh, six clearances, six touches, baby, let's go.
Speaker 3: It was like he's had seven touches for six clearances. I'm like, he's a machine.
Speaker 2: Tell us about it. How'd you feel going out there for the first time. We'll do the pre during and posts. So how'd you feel running out there for the first time in quite a number of weeks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it felt pretty good. It was you know, like you kind of missed that experience of being at the MCG and playing in front of big crowds, and you know, obviously, I think another thing is like there's so many guys that you've played with for so long, and then whenever you don't see them going well, like we lose a few games, you go like, oh, man, like I want to help, Like I want to do something to be able to help, you know, and you can only do so much from the sidelines, where if you're on the field, you really do feel that connection with people and like celebrating people kicking goals, Like I felt really shit whenever, damn it, Stay kicked his first goal. I couldn't celebrate with him on the field. You know. I was like, man, I just want to be there to give like a big hug after all he's done. And you know, it's those kind of moments where you're like, man, I wish I was a part of that, you know, And it was good to get back out there and be able to celebrate with everyone else and you know, get a win on the board more than anything to try to find some form. So yeah, it was. It was good. I got through the game. All good.
Speaker 2: Any good moments when you were out there, Any good moments, any moments that stood out to here that were I don't know, people like the funny stuff people.
Speaker 1: There's a few like forward fifties that we've got goals out of, you know, I love and like center bounces too. It's like I love whenever we get a midfielder just like straight hit out, straight at chests, burst through stoppage, handball, handball goal like and it just looks silky smooth, Like there's one Jamie Elliott, like I think I screwed something up. We got like a ball up after and they sit there and like I hit the ball to him, he's bursting through the stoppage. Bang gives the Pendles Pindles over to Will Hoskin Elliott, you know, out the the goose, Joe the goose out the back, and he kicks one from the goal and it's like, I don't even once Pendles gave to Will Hoskin Elliot, Like as soon as the balls in the air, I was already celebrating with Jamie Like it was kind of one of those things of like, man, that's sick. I love that. And then there's other ones where you know, you get an off hand hit that's out the back and comes streaming out the middle with like no one touching him, and you're like hell yeah, like it looks silky smooth. That's the ones I enjoy the most. I think, you know, taking like a big mark and you know, completely shaking kecks and stuff.
Speaker 2: I saw that take that market like Bobby or something.
Speaker 1: Trying to take a hanger, and I didn't even realize it until today. Whenever I looked at the vision, I was like, oh, that's why everyone was like all excited. I was. It wasn't really that cool a mark. It just was going on. I couldn't see what was going on behind me. But Bobby's trying to take your hangers on everyone. He did take one during the game. Jamie took one too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, crazy Bobby on someone's shoulders. Is your heart with your arms?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Well, I tell Bobby all the time, if you take a hanger on me, man and it becomes a poster and be filthy, I'll probably hang up room.
Speaker 2: At the same time, come on, Jamie Elliott's come back, because I read in the jay Z article on the weekend that like how serious his incident was, the blood clotting in his foot, and he's still he said, like his foot would go completely numb, pins and needles, it would turn white. It happened for like a little period of time before you know, and and just something like that.
Speaker 3: You've been through things like that.
Speaker 2: Where it's you're a pretty rare case and you've got to they're trying to figure out what's going on and what's going wrong and trying to fix it on the fly. That he said that was more scary than any of his other injuries because most of the time it's like if you break a leg, you know what you have to do to fix it. With stuff like that, you don't know how to fix it. You've got to figure it out, and then you don't know. It's all of the unknowns that really play in your mind.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's definitely it's what you're scared of. What you don't know, right, and you know, you know there's something wrong, but you just have no idea how to fix it. Is probably like the worst beds. So yeah, and it's kind of like out of his control. It's just like something that's happening in his body. And we kind of somehow think that athletes don't have, you know, these medical conditions that just happen to normal over there people, and like they do happen, but sometimes they go yeah, they're not told publicly or something like that, know, and I can imagine that would have been a pretty scary experience for him, And he was out for a fair amount of weeks. I don't think people now looking at him like, oh, yeah, he's back, like he's been back forever, you know what kind of thing. But it's like he was, he's out for multiple weeks, and it's yeah, it's it's always tough, I think to not know the solution to what's going on. I mean, I think there's there's that, and then there's also essentially not being able to do anything about it, right, Like that's it's kind of a tough pill to swallow. And I'm not sure the details of what he was having to go through and stuff like that, but the unknown is definitely the most stressful bit because as an athlete, you just go, Okay, I've got this mindset, the problem is this, The solution is this, tell me the steps to get there, And it's like very meticulous of like this week, I should be doing this. This week, I should be able to accomplish this. I should be doing change the direction this week, I should be doing you know, squats this week. And it's like you have little goals along the way. Yeah, whenever you don't have an idea of what that future in that process looks like, you really kind of struggle with like, Okay, what what is my time frame? How long is this going to take? What are we doing? Like there's so many questions that go into it that you just don't have the answers for. That's that's probably the boot that you know, it's not easy to like pill to swallow. But yeah, he's killing it now. Credit Tom. He's back, you know, playing as good as ever as always, you know, and he's someone I enjoyed to have, you know, behind me doing whatever he's doing, because you know, he just just leave him out of the back and leave him in the paddic you'll kick a goal And I'm sitting there just going David.
Speaker 2: He did that one where he picked up Bobby's shank kick, ran past someone and snapped it like so clean. But yeah, he said, yeah, it's still it's a crazy article for those that haven't seen it J Clark's Herold's son article. But yeah, basically have to go into his foot like pushing this stuff to break down the blood clots, and he's he still said, he doesn't have one hundred percent power in it.
Speaker 3: And it's his leaping legs.
Speaker 2: So if he's still out there taking hangars and he's not one hundred percent geep.
Speaker 1: He is also a body and guys, and let Dan come across over the week, perfect body work over the earth, just looking for the chest mark on the other side there just floats over the front of him, goes I'll have that.
Speaker 2: He was very he was so ready and he's like already, but we will move into this one because it is an amazing accomplishment. Scott Pendlebury has pretty much he's pretty much done it all in the game. He's playing, playing his four hundredth game this four hundred.
Speaker 1: Yeah, four hundred.
Speaker 2: He's had four times the amount of games you have.
Speaker 1: Had twenty five. I've hard so he's not yet to five hundred. Calm down, he's getting there.
Speaker 2: I actually listened back to a podcast that when we were doing it together just before he's three hundredth game, and I took the piece and said, we're on the road to four hundred. What are you talking about? And he was like yeah, literally says after that, he's like, yeah, we should do a docer. He's picked it out, but he was selling anything. He's selling his wine, he's selling his canvas.
Speaker 1: Selling creaking end is raking in the as it would.
Speaker 2: His house is like a Miami villa or.
Speaker 1: Something side base side, like very self based.
Speaker 2: An We're going to say some nice stuff about him, Yeah, legend. Scott Pendlebury playing four hundredth game this weekend, a massive accomplishment like a rare as accomplishment you think of, like it's got to be less than you know, two percent of people that have done it. It's pretty crazy when you think about it, and we will be thinking about it a lot because it's everywhere this week. What's the club doing? How are you are you spending each day walking past the Scott Pendlebury Shrine and paying homage or does it all work on the inside of the club one of those candles?
Speaker 1: Now, it's kind of weird. We haven't really celebrated it yet obviously, like we're kind of reviewing the Richmond game of the moment, but I think once we get past that, we'll definitely look to the Coralty game, which is a big game within itself, right and the grand scheme of our season. But I'll so in the celebration of his career and what he's done for not only you know, accomplishing that, but like what he's given to the fans, and like how long he's been there, and his professionalism and what he's given to other players and coaches and staff and everything else throughout his career. It's pretty incredible. But yeah, four hundred very unique experience. I mean, what is it he's probably been chaired off for six times in his career, seven times among that, Like you just kind of get old after a while. But and yeah, it's an incredible accomplishment. I mean, obviously he'll get all the lottest he deserves this week, and we're extremely excited for him. It's and to play against a big rival on that day and stuff. It just kind of adds to the whole spectacle. And you know, everyone you know has got all these words to say about him, and yeah, he's a professional. He's just you know, always just says the right thing, does the right thing. It's true, It's really true. It's like it's actually kind of annoying how good he is at being a football player whatever shit people like me are playing. But now, seriously, he's an absolute legend. He'll go down as probably the best Colingo player to ever play. Yeah, I can say that pretty comfortably. And it's something that I'll look at at some point talking to my grandkids and probably be like, yeah, I used to play with that guy. Yeah, you know, he would sit there and without me giving the hit outs to him. You know, you know, you just ever know, no, but it is credit to him. He's an incredible player, incredible man, and something I'm extremely proud to essentially had some small hard existence in his career that's been such a historic, you know, experience for him.
Speaker 2: You can definitely see how he got there. Like, he's always the most professional. He's got his sauna and spa at his house. He's always really logical to the point that it's annoying. He's like a sponge. He just absorbs everything. And it's not only in footy, like in business and life and everything. He's just always learning and absorbing.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think I've said on the podcast before, but yeah, like in my last game at the club, when we had the podcas CASS together. It's cool seeing it because it still gets rolled out now in his highlights packages. But he asked me if I wanted a celebration for my last game, and he one. I didn't think he was going to kick a goal, but I said a couple of ones that were a bit more obscure, and we landed on the headphones for the podcast, and he did.
Speaker 3: He kicked a goal.
Speaker 2: Jordy was the first to him to give him a high ten, and he snubs him, just to do the headphones and it's always, yeah, a cool moment to look back on that, because yeah, it's like those moments are etched in time forever. So it's like he would have had that effect on so many people over a four hundred game journey, whether it's like the one game player that he laced out for his first goal or you know yourself or you know Steal that he's been alongside with and Howie and all of those guys. But it's you know, the baton always gets passed on. It was Bucks that kicked Pendals his first kick to have his first shot at goal, and yeah, it's pretty special, but four hundred games, it's hard to fathom. I think I was I would have been close to high school. I think when he got drafted. Now, my literally my high school has been demolished because it had Aspestos in it, so that like my school doesn't exist anymore, and Pendals is still running out there week in week out. So yeah, congratulations to the big fella. Yeah, so many moments that he's given the footy club, even last year stepping up in that Grand Final kicking that pivotal goal. He was the conductor out there, just you know, pointing, telling everyone where to go, the final stoppage that kind of got Santa bounce, that got Jordy to kick his goal, all of those things. It's just it's incredible to watch him and we hope he keeps going.
Speaker 3: But he is going on next year.
Speaker 2: He said that he has a contract for twenty twenty five, which is quite amazing, and I still think that that's pending because but I feel he does his own deals too, So the amount of money that he would have saved over four hundred games on a manager doing those deals. He's a smart man. He's a very smart man. Now I'll bring this up. Ed Allen kicked a ninety meter goal in the VFL on the weekend.
Speaker 1: Wild. It was from piston down right.
Speaker 3: I think it was just the other side of the center circle.
Speaker 1: It was wild over a punt road. Reminds me of Rupert Wills did it in Ballarat, I think it was, And it was legit from one ford like the edge of the four sorry edge of the defensive fifty. He kicked a goal from there and it just sailed. I've never seen a ball go further in my life. And then skid, skid, skid, skit and it stopped maybe like two or three meters over the line. It was insane.
Speaker 3: This reminds me that I actually remember that one.
Speaker 2: And if you get a good day in Ballarat where the wins Humming quin right, you probably kick one hundred and fifty.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 2: Now, you tell me about this bloke, because fifty five hitouts it's quite a lot.
Speaker 1: Lewis Smith. He's a mid season draft picked by US ruckman. Big fella. He goes South African heritage. I love that, really nice man had an incredible game of the weekend, fifty five hitout. He's a plumber.
Speaker 3: He's already a plumber.
Speaker 1: He's a plumber already. Man. He's been in the system for about three months, so it's pretty good hit out ratio, I would say. But yeah, no, he's a really, really good player. I'm excited to kind of see what his future is going to be at the club. Ops great hopes and yeah, he's kind of He very much reminds me whenever I was young and like very raw could leave the ground and like I didn't get sat on all day. But no, he's an incredible player. I'm excited to see kind of him blossom over the next next few years, and I think it's an absolute steel we got in the mid season draft.
Speaker 2: How do you help him develop the young guys coming through?
Speaker 3: Is that a little passion of yours?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've actually just finished my Level two coaching, finishing that this year. So I think doing some like rock stuff and like aerial stuff and some things around the ground definitely is something I'm interested in. He's kind of I like to kind of try to help him out of it, you know, and like, yes, ask the questions. I think that's a big thing whenever you're young players, ask as many questions as you can. Be a sponge and soak it all up with rock stuff. Obviously, it just takes a bit of repetition. It takes a bit of yeah, just knowing what to do and almost having to you know, first consciously understand what's going on, to the point where whenever you get to a stoppage and stuff, you're subconsciously not even really having to think, you're just going yet cool, I know what to do, like this is a situation, this is how I like manipulate, this is where I'm best out, like all that kind of stuff. So it does take time, but I think with a bit of guidance and stuff, you can really fast track that. So hopefully I can kind of help him in some of the other rocks out in that sense. And you know, I just want to give him a little shout out. Fifty five huts over the weekend and you played a pretty good game.
Speaker 3: Let's go, that's a Mario.
Speaker 1: What the hell is that from? Let's random? Just Maria?
Speaker 2: All right, Brad, and just give me a quick answer on this one. If if you didn't have to tap it where you have to tap it, so you have where you got to tap it to, could you just win all the rock taps? Like?
Speaker 3: Is that the hard part is to?
Speaker 2: Because I remember I watched your first game in Bendigo against Carlton and we clipped up a clip about it and you were getting every hit out, but like I imagine you're probably just hitting it every wrong place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I probably didn't understand like everyone has, like you know, it's red, yellow, green, or like one, two, three fours or like twelve nine six threes or where the hell it is for your your hit sounds. I think at that point I was maybe a month and too knowing what football.
Speaker 3: Was, and just like.
Speaker 1: He's like, just hit it that direction, sir. I'm like, all right, cool, sounds good, bro. No, I think it was like Liam Jones or something in the rock. You have to look that one up.
Speaker 3: But yeah, that's when you didn't know who Juddy was. That's a good one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, number five really nice, really nice guy. A lot of tape, a lot of teepe on his shoulders.
Speaker 2: Let's look at the previews in the week ahead, because you stuffed up your cock clock last week.
Speaker 1: Huge. I was gonna try to get away with it, but no no chance. Yeah. Sorry, So I'm mombering into previews.
Speaker 3: Yep, going in Bulldogs v. Melbourne at Marvel.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I got to lock in the Bulldogs for this one because they're just.
Speaker 1: Red hot for MAXI gone might be back this week, it was back last week. Yeah we go Melbourne's still last. What's the Bulldogs from now? I've got them winning.
Speaker 2: Oh we go back to the West for the West Coast versus the Gold Coast at Optus. So they dropped their first home game? Can they win their first away game?
Speaker 1: So upset we dropped our first home game?
Speaker 3: Is actually really hard to pick this.
Speaker 1: I'm going West Coast. I know it's like terrible to say. I'm sorry. I'm sorry, man, I just you know, it really hit me hard last week. I had a little bit of a cry.
Speaker 2: And to be fair, I don't think Dimmer is expecting an apology. He's like, that's probably fair. I've seen him his post match press conferences and he's just like, what the fuck was that?
Speaker 3: What are we doing?
Speaker 2: Anyway? I am also going West Coast if they dish out what they did against Freo.
Speaker 3: It was good up until the second half.
Speaker 1: Across went like the next four. They're a bit like us right now. We have to win quite a bit in a nice chunk of the season to make.
Speaker 2: Fires not enough space. Anyway, We're going to this North v. Richmond game because this is really important. Now down the down the bottom of the ladder.
Speaker 1: You can's really important. Think you could lose a pick on this, Yeah, you could lose hardly read off. This couldn't massive.
Speaker 3: Are you throwing this one?
Speaker 2: Mason?
Speaker 1: I would never throw a game as a coach for a club to get a number one draft pick.
Speaker 2: They put a big picture of Harley read up in the locker and it's like, do you lose you get this blog?
Speaker 1: Imagine you know how you have like the signs on the sideline, You're like, you're up by five and you no, let's do the Harley read what's that? Just let them go, Just let them go through the middle, let him kick the next goal.
Speaker 2: Goodness, I don't know now, I know that Richmond needs that. Richmond needs that number one draft pick more than North North North of fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I must say, yeah, I must say North Melbourne win this one. Yeah.
Speaker 2: They got they got a better spine, they got more young talent, cheesels killing it, they got lucky. But yeah, no, Rough Richmond just coming off three flags.
Speaker 1: They're good.
Speaker 3: They can suck.
Speaker 2: They can suck for a bit, nor have supped for a long time. Let them let them get good. Geelong versus Adelaide GM HB A oh yeah, I'm saying North Yeah, yeah, yeah, Geelong versus Adelaide. I'm going Geelong on this one. This is a pretty easy one for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'd say it's an easy called Geelong to win at home.
Speaker 2: I think it just reflection Adelaide beat Essendon at home last week. Anyway, let's not harp on that for Essendon fans. I'll tell you don't listen to Katie Perry in the car on the way. Huh Collingwood make it feel a bit counting at the MCG massive class pendaals aside. That's obviously a massive thing for the club and for Pendles, massive history in this game and lots of hatred.
Speaker 1: Do you still hate each other?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, you had to pick out one of their players that you hate the most. Who would have But that's going to be a big one. I'll say Collingwood will win that one. Unfortunately that scores against isn't great for Collingwood either Port v Sydney Adelaide Oval out.
Speaker 1: I've got Port one of last. Yes, I want Sydney. I've got Port winning, which is wild.
Speaker 2: Yeah now that now that's panic station. You can't lose what five of the last six? It's it's just wild to me that there's still a game and a half clear on the top of the lad after losing four of the last.
Speaker 1: There was a real chuck between them and the rest for a long time.
Speaker 2: This Yeah, I'm poor.
Speaker 1: No, Wow, we're both going important.
Speaker 3: Gws Hawthorn in Canberra.
Speaker 2: That's a crazy good game and I never thought i'd say it because I don't know two pretty not popular teams, not the most popular teams, not the biggest fan bases. You take two teams to.
Speaker 1: See the GWS versus Melbourne guys.
Speaker 2: You take two of the teams with the lowest fan base and then you put them in Canberra.
Speaker 3: Let's say go for it. Oh my goodness.
Speaker 2: And I'm saying that's one of the games of a round things that I thought I would ever ever say anyway.
Speaker 1: Both of them though, because I think people question them throughout the year and they've they've come good at the right time.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I think GWS will win because I feel like the pressure will start coming for Hawthorne.
Speaker 3: But I don't know.
Speaker 1: I stuff Hawthorne's going to win this one, like it in all right?
Speaker 2: That Yeah, that's such a good game. That's a game that and the poor at Sydney game games. It's hard to pick a game of the round. And I haven't picked my cock lock yet, have you known?
Speaker 1: No, I might have to let's go keep going. That's versus three mcgree troubles over to Melbourne, needing a w, needing to get back on their winning streaks.
Speaker 3: So I feel like fre wins.
Speaker 1: I've got three two. Yeah, I think this is a man. This is interesting. If you're an Essdon supporter, you'd be definitely circling this one gone. We need to.
Speaker 2: Get Freo in the top four like Saints are. Anyway, it is a home away game, so home game for.
Speaker 3: Is it really?
Speaker 2: Because it's at the g Oh this has got danger signs written all over it. This is disgusting.
Speaker 3: I'm so sorry.
Speaker 1: I want to piss off the Masson fans too. I want to lock that it was the.
Speaker 2: This is bad for them anyway. That opens up that last spot in the eight, which Colling would desperately need. Anyway, So you are going for Freer uh Saint Kilda Brisbane?
Speaker 1: Shit?
Speaker 2: I didn't really?
Speaker 3: Can I look back?
Speaker 1: There are some others you review your decision surely.
Speaker 2: Now, like Geelong is, but I'm not doing that. I'm going North over Richmond.
Speaker 3: Wow, okay, just because it's a bit closer.
Speaker 2: And then in this game, I'm picking Brizzy at Marvel against Saint Kilda. But Ross the boss did say that he likes playing the Grinch and he wants to ruin a few teams on the way home, and he just did it to Essenon. Can they do it to Brisbane.
Speaker 1: Mate. Yeah, I'm gonna throw a little wrench in here. I sat Kilda out Marble Hero.
Speaker 3: That's a massive one.
Speaker 2: But that's an exciting weekend of forty with big repercussions.
Speaker 1: That is wild. It's just like we're getting to the end of the year, like every game matter so much. We always said, I feel like this ladder is just so stressful for so many people.
Speaker 2: Everyone's out there doing ladder predictors. I know I've done them, and I I wouldn't be as passionate as you know some others Jacko for instance. It's going to give the spray. I will say this just before your wrap up. We did beg everyone to leave Spotify comments. Turns out that it hasn't rolled out to everyone the ability to leave comments.
Speaker 3: We did get one, come on, we did get one comment.
Speaker 2: Because we got a message from Spotify saying, hey, comments are here, get everyone in to comments.
Speaker 3: So we did.
Speaker 2: And then there's oh, hang on, like some people have it. And one person said that our cover art for last week was really good, which is the crying. We were crying. I got your fringe and I extended the fringe down, so I went full emote and then I put you in my Chemical Romance T shirt.
Speaker 1: Great songs they if we're doing a shout out and stuff for like trying to source and stuff hard, I kind of saw a little memory pop up, you know, and I want to give a shout out to this person. I hope they're still listening to this podcast, but Eric that you there was someone who lives in Africa that ordered our T shirt and our teachers and silver well and stuff like that. Yes, go check it out. It's on our link tree. There's someone from Africa that ordered and I'm not sure if we've actually given him a shoutout of how cool that is. And that was a real humbling Yeah, it was cool, man. It was a real humbling moment to have someone that's like doing some sure some amazing stuff over in Africa and some capacity whatever it may be, and to have listenership across the world like that, Like that was a that was cool. It's stuck in my head and I thought we talked about it, but I was like, maybe we haven't. So hopefully I'm doubling up on this, but I just want to shout that person out.
Speaker 3: Some of those are good.
Speaker 2: We had some good pictures from Like some people take photos of people sneakily at the games and send them through to me. Like it'll be like some bloke buying a beer at the concession stands. Someone take a photo of him where the braiden. Yeah see that little short and fat.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, I think we're gonna end on that one. That's good. That's a good little one, little stubby. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like all the stubbies w Cox Yeah.
Speaker 1: Learn something every day. Anyway. That's it for the podcast today. Thank you so much for listening. Hopefully you've got to laugh. That is actually I think I've laughed more on this podcast I have on any other podcast.
Speaker 3: Eric still kicking.
Speaker 1: This guy is from from We should really started listening. Guy, move on not thunder hills, Lightning, don't get more details, come on. All right. That is it from us today. Thank you so much for listening, as always, checking out all the socials to do hard work with and massive, massive thank you for being part of the community. Have an incredible week ahead, all the best for the footy tipping over the weekend and let's get the dub to the dub