Speaker 1: Hi everyone, and welcome to another episode of the sit Down. I'm Matt Trolope, a writer for oz open dot com, and.
Speaker 2: I'm Viv Christie, managing editor of Australian Tennis.
Speaker 1: Magazine and Viv why are we this week sitting down with Torburn?
Speaker 3: Belts.
Speaker 2: We're sitting down with Touburn this week because he is quite a prominent figure in tennis in Germany and all eyes will be on tennis in Germany this week week when the Labor Cup is played in Berlin. Tauburn is the former coach of Angelique Kerber. He talks about his long partnership with her and why tennis is having a resurgence in Germany right now.
Speaker 1: And he also guided Germany to the United Cup title this year, which is another reason he's so esteemed in his country. You were lucky enough to do this interview with Touburen. I didn't join for it, so I'm really looking forward to listening now.
Speaker 2: Toubin, thank you for your time today and thank you for joining us on the sit Down. It's a pleasure to be talking to you. Perhaps we could start from the beginning and you could tell us about your start in tennis.
Speaker 3: Yes, I was good. Yes, I was a titnis player when I was young. I started with at a young age, when I was six seven years old. It's a long time ago now because at I'm forty seven now, so yes, so I started by tennis. I was a very active player when I was young. I was a good German player. When I grew up, I played in Germany Bundesliga. I went to the USA to study, so I got my scholarship to play college tennis when I was around. After my school in Germany, when I was eighteen nineteen, I went for two years to America, to South Carolina to study and to play tennis. And yep, that was my growing up. And then after I couldn't make it on the big tour myself. Then I started to coach. So I started to coach in Germany with some club tennis coaching. Then I then I came actually when Angel was sixteen years old, so seventeen years old, Angee Kerber was looking for a travel coach. So she was playing ITF junior well slams and she was looking for a coach. So the coaches from her they asked me if I want to be the travel coach and the hitting partner at that time. So I started a start to work with Angy when she was sixteen seventeen. And also my first long trip was also to Australia, so yeah, yeah, that was she was playing IF juniors, so we played the IF Junior Tour, We played the Taralgon I think it's the name Timers also, so we went there and we played the Australi Open Juniors. Yeah that was really fun, really fun time. Wow, So that must have been long Viragal, so long time ago.
Speaker 2: So yeah, a long time ago created such amazing memories and an amazing career. I mean that must have been quite an experience for you going from Germany to US college tennis.
Speaker 3: Yes, and that was for me was and I think this is for many German players, you know, if they playing good German level tennis, you know it's a good step to still do your education but also to still work on your tennis career and to try to make it to the professional level. So that was a good I think it's a good it's a good thing for fun, like for people from from Germany or from Europe and tried to combine the education and the tennis. So that was also for me, it was a good thing. And also I was okay. I wasn't okay German player in the US. I really got lucky because I had a really nice college, I had a really good coach, and I really improved my tennis in America. So I was really lucky to go to America. Was live and you.
Speaker 2: Had you mentioned earlier, Andie was only sixteen or seventeen when you first started working together. You had such longevity together, Like I think it was almost twenty years that you'd work together in the end. What was the secret to that long relationship?
Speaker 3: No, I think yes, I think it was really I think we had a really good time. So we started when she was sixteen seventeen years old, so that was really great. So we had a good start and then you know, and also like we didn't work for nineteen or twenty years almost together, but we didn't work the whole time we had. I think we started all over. I'm not sure if we started four or five times. So it was really like it was really like an on and off relationship. But yeah, but I was really happy to be with her when she had her big year twenty sixteen, when she was winning everything, off Austraight Open, And yeah, I think for me it was just it was a great It was great to be part of that journey. I would say. It was great to be there at the start when she started to go to play green Slam junior tournaments when she was sixteen seventeen, and now it was great to see her finishing like she did in Paris at the Olympics, with a really high level of tennis, really competing really really hard, and it was really fun for me to be part of that storyline was really great and for sure, and that you know, in the twenty years, it's not always always nice and always good. We also had our tough, tough part and also like you know, well like kind of difficult times. But but but when I look back, I really think only about the good times we had, and really I think it was a great, great journey.
Speaker 2: How emotional was it when she wound up her career at the Paris Olympics.
Speaker 3: Recently, Yeah, for sure, that was very emotional. She told me like a week before we were practicing in Poland and there she taught me, Hey, Torbin thinking about stopping after Paris, And I was like, yeah, that's that's a good at the end, and now when I look back, I think it was really perfect. It was the perfect ending for her. It was really because yeah, she was playing at a great level. She was beating great players. She lost against like like heartbreaking sixth seven third set against Quinn Wenn who won the gold medal. So it was really like it was that like kind of the sherry of the cake we say it was really was really great. And also like like like the response she got after it from the German fans, from from the crowd. Also like I mean, she played she she never played that well in Paris, like she was you know, it was not her favorite tournament and petrol and gross, but she she fell in love now, she fell in love now very late, but but she was playing it so sort like such a good level on on the clay court, and there was for me as a coach, was great to see that that she could finish like this.
Speaker 2: I think in your coaching career you have also coached Emma Radakanu and Contevey and donove Kich. How do you approach different playing styles and and different personalities.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a good question because I really think that every player needs kind of a different, different approach. I say, I think Age is really different to Emma or to Dollar. You know. Also, I think every player as a coach, for me, you have to really try and to to figure out and kind of to to see what what she what she needs from you. You know, like like some players that they need more the technic side. Some some players they need more the technical side, you know. And some players want to hang out more and do like like like like dinners together or like like doing some some games together. Some players really like only one you on the tennis court with like like fully focused. So it's really I think I think it's that I think that that's also the tricky part, but also the the part what I like about coaching. It's it's never you know, it's it's it's it's never like a nine to five job. It's really like it's it's really like you have to be be ready for changes. You have to adapt a little bit with with different personalities and different different asks from the players. So I really think that's that that makes the job as a coach really interesting and really exciting. For sure.
Speaker 2: Your experiences as a coach have been mostly on the w t A Tour as I understand it. What what are the nuances in coaching female players compared to male players, do you think.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's for me tough to answer because I always coached the side, not the men's side. I had had I had a small play that at the United Cup to be part of all those some MEHA matches like which was really great to watch, like Sacha from so close and play against top top a TP players like like scy Pass at Alex Australia. So it was it was really great. But I'm not sure if there's a big difference. I think it's and I think, like I just said that, you have to be really like trying to figure out, especially in the beginning, what the player needs. I think it's and I think that's on the men's side. I think it's it's kind of the same thing. I think you cannot say you have to do this for men play and you have to do this for a female player. I think it's really about the personality and about the player. I think I would say it's not. I mean, we mean the game is a little bit different, yes, but I think you have to try for me, as a coach, you have to try to figure out, Hey, what does the men or the women need to get better every day? And what do they wanted? Every day's kind of practice and every day kind of practice sessions. You know, I think it's for me. There's not a big difference in coaching men or women. But this I can only say because I never coast to men.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you touched on the United Cup. That was your first experience of captaining a team for Germany? How did you approach that responsibility?
Speaker 3: I think that was for me also that was a really great experience. It was great for me to be like responsible for the team of Germany. Yes, and also like I was also very lucky because the team was really great. They played the year before twenty twenty three, they also played almost the same team, same team, but they did not play very well. I think they lost. I was sure, I think how they played. But and this year, I mean, the winning makes it more easy and to have to have a good feeling and to have good good atmosphere and the team. So yeah, so we had a really good time.
Speaker 2: Was that a career highlight when Germany went on to win the title?
Speaker 3: For sure there was for me. For me, it was the what was the highlight for sure. Yes, I mean I mean also the gwand Slam tournaments with the which which Angy won, we together, like twenty sixteen, like you're Australian Open and News Open. That was also a big highlight for me. But but then you go like the Cup, it's almost on the same level because we had every day we had like a team thing together. We're playing games together there, we had dinner together, and yeah, it was just a great, great thing.
Speaker 2: It sounds like the United Cup is an event that you really enjoy.
Speaker 3: Yes, for sure, I really liked it. I think it's a good, good way to begin the start of the year. I think it's really great also for the players they get a lot of matches in. I think it was good.
Speaker 2: It was good for us and combining the men and the women. How do you enjoy that format?
Speaker 3: Yes, for sure for sure. Also like this, you know, I think it's also great to have like some practice together with the women is great. I think we had like Germany, have we had it? I just can can yeah, I just can't say it from the from the part of Germany. I think we had a really good time together. And I really I think all all the players and the team that had a good start of the year that they were very happy.
Speaker 2: Sure, I'd like to chat to you now about German tennis. So there are so many role models in German tennis. There's so many Grand Slam champions, former world number one. What role do you think Steffie Graff and Boris Becker and Michael Stick you know Wrot play in that.
Speaker 3: No, I think I think they have a big role in this. I think a really big role becose. I mean this it was kind of my time growing up also a little bit, and also for angled, so I think I think for a nation it's very important to have like like good players as a role model for the younger kids to see, hey, if you work hard, you know you can can reach it. We can see now. Also like like Italy is kind of booming, they tell you tennis because they have Janick Sinner and just me and Pauline now in the top of tennis. Because I say, I think you can see this also right now as happening to Italy attempt so because everybody saying it's Tyan tennis is so great right now because they have these kind of role models and and I mean for us in Germany. I think there was a really special time to have Steffie and Borrows and they were like so outstanding good players and and and all people started to play and to start to play tennis. You know, they started playing their backyards, that they they started to play in the parking lots, you know, that they started to play in the German clubs. They were really booming, and I think there was a really good it was a really good time for us. And also like and then also like like like like like like the girls and boys who came after Steffian Burrows, like we had like like a g and Andrea Petkovic and Julia Gergiz. You know, we we have so many good players who who try and it was also like a big big ask for them because every time when they were playing great, it was like, hey, this is the new Steffie and guess this is the new Staffy Garth coming now. So it was also I think not easy to grow up like after kind of Steffie. But but but but you could see it's it. I think it's it motivates the players and it's really really motivated and they really tried to to to get on this level, which is really tough because she want everything. But but I think it's it's for for tennis in the nation. I think it's very important to have like role models, like like we had in the at the time with with with Steffie and Boris.
Speaker 2: Who were your role models when you were growing up?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we mean, for sure, for sure, Staffian Borrows was a big part of that. And I also like, I mean, for me, I always like the Andrew Agacy piece Templess, you know, I like this kind of players also that was kind of my time who I watched a lot on tennis and who were playing Drasco tennis. So yeah, I think these kind of players I looked up to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as I understand it, tennis is hugely popular in Germany. From what I've read and understood, it's I think it's the third most popular sport in your nation. What do you think is the reason for that success?
Speaker 3: I mean, yes, yes, I think, I mean, I think for sure the reason is that we always had good players in the top we all we have we have such as well as now we know, which is great for us. And we always had a g and we always had good players here. I think this if you're in the news in Germany with with with like like sports results and good and good good results. I think then that helps, you know. I mean, we can never be as big as football because in Germany soccer it's number one, you know. But but I think tennis is right there, you know, so and many and it's easy access also because we have so many tennis clubs. Yes, thanks to thanks to the thing we just talked about, but Jeffie and Borris, you know, thanks to that time, we have so many tennis clubs right now. I think in Germany also we have a good, good club tennis level also, you know, like like like like when when you start, when you are like like seven or eight years old, you can start to play club matches against other players. I think this is also helps. And yeah, I think I think we have good coaches. I think we have good club tennis. I think this makes the sport really popular in Germany.
Speaker 2: There seems to be a lot of professional tournaments in Germany. You've got you know, Halle, Stuttgart. There's so many different cities have professional tournaments.
Speaker 3: I think also that helps, Yes, for sure, it helps. So we have many we have many like like like top events, you know, like you just said, like Suga, but we also have many like junior tournaments. You know, we have many junior tournaments. On the high level, we also have we also have like every weekend. If you're a club player, you can like at every weekend you can play like like like uh kind of tournaments. You know. Also that I think this is really helps and this is really good for the German tennis.
Speaker 2: How much excitement do you think the Live Cup will generate?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's gonna be that this is gonna be big events. It's the only big event that's coming to Berlin. I have been Berlin right now, so I see some signs on the walls already. You know, it's good, you know. So, yes, I think it's going to be a graduate. The Labor Cup is always I always watched it on TV. Maybe now it's coming to Berlin, Man, maybe I have a chance to go to see it live. I'm not sure yet as I'm here, if I'm around, but I think everybody in Germany is very excited to have the Labor Cup in Berlin and in Germany.
Speaker 2: You mentioned Sascha Zerev earlier. Who are some of the other German players that we should be looking.
Speaker 3: Out for Yeah, I mean, I mean we we have, we have, we have so that there's a tough question because I don't want to miss anybody I don't about. But we have many good players here, like you know, like like like SaaS on one now, like yell At Dwarves. You know, he's playing very good. I think I'm not sure if he's also at the Labor Cup. I think he's also. I think he's nominated also, so yeah, so he is. He is a great guy. He just won in Munich, he won a big tournament that was really great for him. And yeah, he's so he has to look out for him. Yeah, then we are. But we have so many good players in Germany, like like Dominic Cup for us coming back, our doubles team, Kevin Cravis, Tim Purz, you know they they have they're great guys and great players. On the female we have many young players coming up also with Yeah, a lot of good players coming up. So yeah, I think German tennis can be very exciting and to look forwards and the suitside in a good way for sure.
Speaker 2: Back to you, what's next for you in tennis? Do you think?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean for me it's really fresh right now, so I just and just stopped last think two weeks ago. Now the Olympics are two weeks ago for me, so I'm just make up my mind and see what's coming next. But now the next the next weeks, I will just enjoying my time with my family and make up my mind to see what's coming.
Speaker 1: Viv congratulations. That was an awesome interview. I didn't actually know that Torbyn had been with Kerber for that long. Lucky that he started with her as an IF junior. That's an incredibly long partnership and so fruitful. I remember twenty sixteen really well when she broke through and won that Australian Open title against Serena Williams. Was one of my favorite finals, and seeing her celebrate with him afterwards and be so emotional was a really beautiful moment. And it sounds like he's had lots of beautiful moments with Kerber over the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks Matt. It was really great to talk to such a highly respected and successful coach and sort of to hear about the longevity of that relationship. And I am really looking forward to seeing what he does next in tennis. I don't think we've seen the last of him, and we'll be back next week with another episode of the sit Down, and in the meantime, you can listen to John and the team on the Aoshow Weekly this Thursday.
Speaker 1: And details, of course, for how to contact us are in the show notes below, and remember to subscribe, rate and review, and please get in touch with us if you have any ideas of who you'd like us to sit down with next. We're always open to ideas and we'll see if we can make them happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we would love to hear from you. See you next week, MAP see I Viv