Speaker 1: Welcome back to TV Reload. My name is Benjamin Norris and on this podcast I'll be going behind the scenes with the biggest players in television today. On the podcast, I have the well respected and highly regarded television executive Ben Ulm, who is the head of Factual and Reality at ITV Studios. There's not many people who have worked in the Australian TV industry who have never been out of work. He has gone from strength to strength and worked with some of the greats on programs that you've been watching for as long as I can remember. He grew up with journal's parents who commented on television and from there his passion and knowledge of the box is exponentially profound. Ben not only has a cool name, but he has an eye for content and an understanding of storytelling that has industry leaders partnering with him and his ideas. So what makes today's guest tick Well, We're about to find out with some exclusive content on how these shows get made.
Speaker 2: I am part of the executive team at ITV Studios.
Speaker 1: I'm a celebrity.
Speaker 2: Get in my corner that is reality and factual and his farmer is one step closer to finding his wife. When there's an authentic moment that you capture on camera that's really satisfying. Chase. Try to help out networks with their challenges and problems.
Speaker 1: The living room has all the teas you need.
Speaker 2: TV is not a mirror to ourselves, but it's relatable to everyone. So Ben, how are you relatively well? I think we've all had an extraordinary year, and I think we've all had that period of reflection during lockdown about what's happening to the world, what's happening to our business, what happened, what's happening to me? And we've come through it relatively okay in terms of an industry with many challenges with everything we do now. But I'm healthy, I have a job, and I still love telling stories. So that's a good starting point for twenty twenty one.
Speaker 1: You know, your role at ITV Studios is the head of reality and factual What does that mean to the average Joe? Like you know, if someone pulls your side at the pub and says, oh God, what's that? What do you do? How do you explain it?
Speaker 2: The short form of it is, I am part of the executive team at I TV Studios, where our mission is to run the series that we have on air at the moment, and so my corner of that is reality and factual, So that's documentaries, that's programs like I'm a Celebrity, Get Me out of Here? And we also developed some original content. But we also ITV is a company that has four thousand titles in its catalogs, so there are programs of all genres around the world that we benefit from having that IP and so we have a very collaborative development process where we all pitch in what's the euphanism. We try to help out networks with their challenges and problems. Help me help you by buying one of my todes. So I think if you're going to drill down on my specific corner, which is as silly as I'm a Celebrity in matters Hell and as serious as Who Gets to Stay in Australia, which is a documentary series, per I.
Speaker 1: Just love the fact that it's just so many categories, which it must mean that you never get bored because you've worked in news, documentary, reality, entertainment, comedy, lifestyle. I hope I'm not forgetting any of those. But you know, personally, to you, what's your favorite is there something that you go, Oh, that's the piece of the dessert that I enjoy the most.
Speaker 2: So in terms of what I get a kick out of, I get a kick out of having a cast that's working as well as on the celebrity works and the things that I've seen on paper and we see sort of you know, we pitched a challenge in a boardroom, seeing that actually work and seeing the ratings from that. But I also get a kick out of a well executed story and from a documentary, you know. And documentary is the art of capturing a moment. As for the confected world, where particularly with some reality shows, they're more or less scripted and they're more or less more dramality than genuine moments. For a lot of reasons. It's delivering on the fairy tale that is with in Australia in the world. Once when there's an authentic moment that you capture on camera while you're filling a documentary with a various small budget, low key crew, that's really satisfying as well and everything in between. We had to dabble with a scripted comedy earlier in my tenure here about five six years ago. I love that, you know, the great thing about access is that they do what they're told. In reality and documentary, you're capturing what happens rather than prescribing its. It really just depends, you know. And this coming Sunday will be the live finale of I'm a Celebrity Getting out of Here, having pre recorded the series civilized Action beckons for our magnificent seven Julia.
Speaker 1: Indeed, my darling indeed, and the next time we'll see them will be on our grand finale stage.
Speaker 2: And we've got the band back together again. We go Pitle all aback in studio directing it. We're all there, and that live energy, that electricity and danger of a live broadcast, there's nothing like it. So I think, in terms of all the genres that I've been involved with, there's not a person that I haven't said in passing that everyone should do on a celebrity, even once in their life, because it ticks all those boxes. If you're a storyteller's story, if you're a joke tellers jokes, if you want the big scale set pieces with very limited scope for failure that the four hundred and fifty crew you have that, do you want real moments between people you get that as well. So that program, I mean, I've done it seven times now, It's the one program I'll always go back to.
Speaker 3: I offer this has been one of the greatest experiences of my life. I came in here afraid I'm not happy with who I was. I needed a change, and I feel I've achieved that.
Speaker 1: The thing I love when you talk to different people that have worked with you, they talk about your mantras. You know, you often say is it compelling? Does it pay off in the end? Is it a well told story? Is there a hook that universally works? You know, I guess that's the question. Is there a hook that universally works for audiences that you live by, that exists within all of that?
Speaker 2: If you capture a moment, like a real moment, it's hard to be. You can create an environment where people will interact, and you can create a rule set where people, you know, you can try to engineer what they do, and this is across most genres. But there's just that simple moment between people and that it doesn't have to be a profound personal moment, could just be funny. I think TV is not a mirror to ourselves, but it's relatable to everyone because we understand those jeopardies. I mean, we provide sort of the extraordinary environment that encapsulates it, you know. I think story is story, you know, and I think if it's clear, if there's an objective there, if there's a purpose, I think it's another phrase I use quite a lot of what's the purpose of this scene or this moment, How does this contribute to the to the overall story. Sometimes you don't know in the time, you know. Sometimes I mean on twenty four hour Turnaround program, you've got to we all call it as we see it because that character. ARC love to say that we design that, but of course I think it just happens accidentally. And if we've been able to capture those key moments that contribute to that, that's probably the best representation of that type of program we can have. It just depends on the program, Benjamin, matter of whether it's a program where access so that they don't know the cameras are there, but they're comfortable enough to share their fears and the things that they're basing. That's important to do that in that passion with a big program under a huge pressure kind of celebrity and some of the other programs. You're creating an environment where they can they can roam freely, but you also need them to be motivated to share of themselves and scenarios. In the middle of the season four, when it was a long season, it was hot, we were very strict about diet and we just broke them. So that's interesting. They're disinterested, depressed celebrities, state of talk, but waiting for their next meal break. So you know, we learn as we go.
Speaker 1: I think it's you know, don't kill the celebrities.
Speaker 2: Celebrities, and I think, you know, we're there to entertain. Yes, it's a social experiment, and yes they're in an environment that never been before and with people that wouldn't usually hang out with, and interesting things happen in that. But you know, we have entertaining. It's going to be interesting somehow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which I think is really important. You know, I always think with television it needs to be relatable and aspirational. I think that they're the two key things for me that I think is when TV seems to work. You know, when you bought I'm a Celebrity over from the UK, it had obviously been quite successful over there for quite some time. What was it that you did to the format to make it seem you know, ready for Australian audiences, Like, what are those noticeable differences between those two franchises.
Speaker 2: Well, quite bluntly, it was the it's an expensive proposition for a short run intensive program. You know, the UK show run for thirteen fourteen years as a Christmas three week delight, you know, three weeks in and out, and they have much better budgetsto in Australia because their population is much greater. So many people before I came to IDEAVI had pitched the program, but it was just whether it be for seven, nine or ten, it's just too enser it because the premise had to stack up. You know, we had to do it in another country. It had and you know we couldn't just do it in our own backyard as a starting point, because you genuinely needed to go on that adventure and be that fish out of water. The UK culturally, they're happy to embrace something which is a tenuous jungle, you know, because it's all about the humor, and they are fish out of water in that. You know, they don't see snakes as commonly as we do. Its biders, so it works, So it was a matter of getting value for the broadcaster. Choose my phrase, put it up on the hoist, you know, let's look at the program and what we can do to make it work for broadcaster here now, the strongest interest we had was in twenty fourteen, my first year here from Channel ten. Stephen Tate and Beverly McGarvey showed it renewed interest and so we scattered at Jungle in South Africa and he was over there for The Bachelor, so we linked up with him and to escaped there from ten. But we needed to make it work as a sick week or seven week or eight week strip. She had never been done anywhere, and so I came up with a creative with the team that ten commissioned, and without getting into the detail of it here, it was very different to what you see now because everyone told me that the three weeks of the UK show it nearly kills the crew and it nearly kills celebrities. It was so intensive. Even with a massive crew of five hundred, it's full on. So we couldn't simply just go, okay, right, we'll just double what they do. But afterwards commissioned and we had our first production meetings. First create a meeting with Beverly, she formed the view that my creative or our creative at the time, was just too complicated for a season one and it would baffle rather than educate the audience. She was right, she was right, keep it simple, stupid. So we roll the dice. We extended the program to a six week run. We were warned that it's going to affect the caliber of people you could get. We don't know whether what happens after that three week mark. After that three remark in the UK, they are deplete, they've done, they've run their course, and that's when they come out. And we figured it out. We figured, you know, we had very strong support from ten Stephen Tate here, you know, and I was part of our development with the whole team, working Hillary Innis and Lara Hopkins. We had the great Peter Abbott on board as our guide as well. But the thing is it was uncharted territory and so we cast it. We honored the format, we honored the diet that they would prescribed. We launched well, and celebrities struggled, And I think about the closing up to the two week mark, we had Laura Dundervitch ready to walk, so to the point where she was packing her things inside. Our production people were getting ready with a suitcase detector to our hotel. But then this self chain of events suddenly Chrissy Swan and Joe Creesy they were done. They were going, well, I'm not saying if you don't stay here, So then we had three potentially walking.
Speaker 1: I'm not myself. I just don't feel funny and I'm tired.
Speaker 2: I'm a tough cookie and this never happens to me, so it's really it's really quite shocking.
Speaker 1: Are you guys really tired today?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so depressed.
Speaker 1: Oh, we've had enough.
Speaker 2: And Stephen Tate turned to me. So Stephen Tate at the network executive said, what's our TV studio is going to do if they all walk at the end of week two and we have four and a half more weeks of program to broadcast and plenty for our turnaround program like We're Live. And I've said, I'll take your point at it on advisement because I didn't know, you know, So anyway, we had a lot of discussions about how can we keep them in, you know, do we feed them some more, do we give them a break. We pull them out and give them break, bring them back in again. And we had this wonderful intel from the UK. We had the wonderful Oli Nash, who's like Yoda, who's done all the UK series. And what we did was the Oli Nash called the UK, came back to us and said, I want to try something. And at the end of that second week, when everyone was at a lowe, they bumped in a little Twitter game who was this set about. It's a simple game where you read out what was said about people and you have to guess who it was tweeted about. And it was like watering a plant because suddenly, for the first time, all of those beautiful people in that original cast, who had no idea whether they were being watched, whether the series was tanking, whether they were being humiliated, they had no idea. Suddenly they had this tiny little output from the outside world. They're talking about us, they love us, and it turned things around. It just got them through that hump. It's not just that, but they kind of hung in there, you know. And then this weird thing that happens every year, this kinship happened. We had marsh Brady and Laura Dundovich and Christy Swan, all these people that didn't know each other and they connected, you know, and the premise of the show, which is you do silly challenges to win food for your camp mates, which I wasn't sure it would stack up for Australian celebrities. I wasn't sure they'd just go fuck that, but they did. They worked for each other. We got over that hump, and we got over that three week camp and that four week camp, that five week camp, and that six week camp. We had a fantastic finale. And here we are getting towards the end of season seven.
Speaker 1: From that very first season, do you have something to say to all those celebrities who were the guinea pigs?
Speaker 2: Regardless of what Alex Beberdyke says, I go to the church of season one because it was such a brave thing to do, to just hand over their lives to us people they're barely met, because you know, we've all the reassurances of executive producers to say you're fine, you're fine, you'll be fine, And they didn't know how they would be perceived, whether there would be whether this would be career killers, and they were so brave, and we were so strict with them that they will always be my favorites in that regard, all of them. Barry Hall, Joel, you know, it was just a beautiful thing. Freddie Flint tof season two on with with Alex. I have to give him due difference as well, because he's the best executive producer for reality TV that I've ever met, and he's grown the format and he's been a stut and his forecasts have all worked. And so seasons two, three to seven, eight, nine, and hopefully ten is the Alex Show. But that original cast, and it took a few years. You know. I think it took Shane Warne's kids to talk him into doing it, and he didn't need to do it, but he did it for his kids. And the material benefits that have come from the series for all manner of celebrities, I've been really happy with. We've had our first celebrity baby, Lauren Brandt, and Barry Hall had people's career has been revived in radio. Barry Hall was doing a toilet paper ad within four weeks of coming out, So I think people now recognize that there are material benefits for it, and I think we've been good at retaining the core authenticity of it. Peter Abbott said back in the day, he said said there's about Big Brother as well, it's an unproduced show. Now that seems odd to say it's an unproduced show because there are a minion producers on the show, but he's right. You create the bubble, you create the environment, whether it be a Big Brother or I'm a celebrity, and then you guys figure it out when you're in there, and it's what you make of it. And you know, when you're talking about production and why haven't they got your meds there on time? Or why is it so hot? Or why is my bed? So what are the producers doing that? You know, we can't use that, that's not part of But when you talk to each other, you know, positively or negatively, that's really interesting content. And it's set at the start of our conversation. You know, the conversations I'm proudest of when you see people from the opposite world sitting down having debates and discussions around things that politicians can't resolve, and they don't resolve them. They give each other a perspective and they acknowledge each other's point of view and kids there. You know, kids don't watch Q and A, they watch this. It really makes me proud when I see those things, and when you do see those things. Nothing to do with me. It's got nothing to do with Alex, It's got nothing to do with the four hundred crew. It's two people who've been placed into an environment where they can have that conversation.
Speaker 1: Did anyone ever come out in any of the teams?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 4: I never suspected anyone or whatever, but now no one from NFL has yet. Surely someone's come out.
Speaker 1: Well in all of AFL.
Speaker 4: I played football for eighten years and I'm sure there were some gay, homosexual people playing, but no one really came out in our time saying, oh you know this is who I am.
Speaker 1: It's those really good human moments. What would you say makes a good executive producer? I mean, you touched upon Alex doing a great job, and you know, across so many shows that you have worked across, what do you think ultimately makes a good executive producer.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of community cass as you'd imagine in a project with Sony moving pieces, and if you have an executive producer on a small documentary where there's any two other people. It's a different role to managing with production a four hundred and thirty plus crew, and you need good people working in your departments because you cannot micromanage. It's not about having lots of lots of meetings, having very clear direction, being able to be a good traffic crop yes no, yes, no. To invest in the people that are doing the things that you want. You know, I mean Alex would be the first to say, is his head of trials, his head of art. All those people are creative geniuses in their own right, and they're in an environment where they can shine. You know, they know that they can make decisions and they can creatively push the boat at a little bit knowing that you know he has their back. But then you know there's the network relations being able to sort of communicate, you know, knowing when to escalate, when you know when to share, when to overshare, undershare, so that the network is involved and isn't surprised by things happen. You know, Alex is celebrated for being the guy that is outrageous and controversial, but he'll also defend someone if he thinks that there's a celebrity there who's going to be stitched up by a conversation or if there's an undefended accusation by one celebrity to another celebrity, and there's a real decency with that, and it's it is very easy to get caught up into the excitement of the controversy or or the conversation is. But he'll be the one that will defend that celebrity to the hilt when there's none of us will ever get to wear but controversies that happen behind the scenes where you think, okay, you know, how are going to deal with this content? And you know, if you're in the bubble, you can't defend yourself, if the press is teeing off on what you've done in the in camp, you can't defend yourself. Abb you can defend usself because or ash because you know they're out. You know it's a pre recorded programs, so they can do that. But Alex is a defender of the cast member who is just being themselves in that environment. He stands by the show when they come out and so you know, I don't think he's got he's had too many white feathers in the mail from celebrities since he came out. I mean, Petty Fluer wasn't happy for about twenty four hours, but that was more about her competitive spirit. And then twenty four hours later she was, you know, she'd recovered. It was just her competitive spirit. But she was the same on Hell's Kitchen with Marco Pierre White three or four years ago, where she just she's just one of these beautiful, unfiltered people that was convinced she was going to win. Why wouldn't you, Why wouldn't I win this? Look at me? So I honestly to getting out of here. She had the same conviction, like how could I not? How could I get something wrong? It's me, you know which how do you manage that? You don't detach from them like I think you let always be the thought of him for a conversation. You don't pressure them, You treat them decently and then check in. So in the example of um a celebrity, Yeah, when she got catapultar fifty feet through the air into a dark, inky swamp, when she thought she was going to survive, Yeah, she wasn't very happy as we wrapped a towel around her. When she came out, she composed herself for the interview, and I thought she gave a very honest interview. And yeah, she was, you know, in the debrief that we always do with Alex and with seven Tate from ten. You know, she was a bit negative in that, but it was more that she was angry at herself. You know. Now twenty four hours later she was sending texts to Alex and to Stephen and apologizing for her conduct. And her conduct wasn't bad. She was just disappointed. And I texted her because I knew of Mihale's kitchen and I was also, yeah, doing this show, and she was lovely. She was sweetness and light and you know, just so I think, you know, if you treat people courteously and respectfully and don't just disappear, then when the cameras aren't on, then it's harder for them to hate. I suppose.
Speaker 1: Interestingly enough, has what Australian audiences want on television changed? I mean, you know, look at the way people are responding to programming these days. People are using these other catch up services. You look at Love Island. You know, it might not have had the biggest audience when it was on Channel nine for its first run, but then you look at the amount of people that have watched that show series one and two. Do you think that what Australian audiences want from TV has it changed?
Speaker 2: I think that the packaging and the type of programs, yeah, there are changes, but I think the core pool is the same. The fairy tale is the same. So but the challenges are what is going to compel broadcast. Let's just talk about television first before we get to the other platforms. What is compelled Channel nine to trust millions of dollars with ITV or Warners or another company dominate their schedule for a period of time And so is either the back to the future response, which is Channel seven going for the those heritage brands, or and every now and again there'll be a breakout kit, you know, perhaps it will be Holy Moly, perhaps it'll be something else. So I think that it's very, very challenging because we don't sit down as a family on seven thirty on a Wednesday night because we don't to miss the startup on and celebrity. We watch it when we want to. So it's important that TV is judged that way now and that's a real challenge for all the networks that one minute past nine. We are accustomed to checking those ratings, as are the advertisers who have invested in those programs, and we all either have a great day or a terrible as a result of that. But twenty eight days after that we have more meaningful data because people cherry pick and watch it when they wish. But the fairy tale is the same. First reality show I executive produced was Farmer Wants a Wife back in two thousand and eight, and I remember it was series three, and I try to change it up from series two because I thought Australia knows this format, so little nuance changes in the scripting, and Paul Franklin changed everything I did back to how it had been in series two and one. And the phrase is was to sell them the fairy tale, you know, and he's right, you know, it's the if you're watching the Bachelor or the Bachelorette, class is going to change, the circumstances are going to change, the twist might change, but you're there because you want to believe in the fairy tale. So how that's package, whether it's Love Island as a comedy, whether it's a putting show meets Ninja Warrior on Holly Moley. You know that at the base of it is a premise which has not changed. I wish you and I could figure out how to create buzz because also every now and again there's there's some buzz and that gives you the mask singer, some cute little format out of career, and of course it's you know, the breakout hit of the last couple of years, you know. So I think that's going to continue to happen, and that comes from a brave broadcaster or a production company taking an idea and exploding it. But it is hard to generate buzz because it's very financially risky to put a lot of money into something that had him in number four. And I wish Australia was more like the net villains where they put their pilots to where and they put another pilot to air and then from there you can develop programs on there. But it's just too small a market and it's too expensive a medium to do that. So it's the age old pub argument about whether TV dictates taste or tastes dictate TV.
Speaker 1: I think it's interesting an argument because, like you know, we've married at first sight, some people are like Oh god, that's car crash television that you know that's really hard to watch, and then you think about it, well, it's rating, it's us off, and that's because audience is pretty much are dictating that. I mean, the show did start out with trying to genuinely find two people to get to stay married, and now it's kind of evolved into I think what audiences need or want, Like, you know, it's not like the producer like how much more outrageous can we try and make this show? Like it's it's audiences are tuning in for this stuff.
Speaker 2: But you know what, I think there's some examples and I won't name them, but there are examples of programs that have tried to start with that car crash and those programs fail. And I think the story of marrit at First Sight, in my view, is it started with a really strong premise. It was a really strong premise, and those first three seasons in the House at nine, where you know, research says that match made marriages actually have a higher success rate than accidental ones. So it's the what if you know? And you're right, those first three seasons were all about that moment, you know, imagine meeting someone at the Altar, and they did a beautiful job of it. And as it progressed and became a script show, you know, it became bigger and bigger, and casting became noisier and noisier. That yeah, I mean, I've never made the show, but I've heard I don't enough people who work on it that they wrestled with the level of I guess, either grubbiness or controversy that they should have. And it was a genuine debate between the network and China in the ball, you know, And I think that I reckon probably for the future series, I'll start getting back to the core values of it. Because with any of those formats, whether it be Bama Wants a Wife or on a celebrity if he starts go down a certain area and that does have an impact or outstairs as welcome, going back to core values is always a good thing. And I reckon, you know, I don't know if they can make it cart crash here this year than last year, but I reckon they'll go back to the way. If you know what, if you could meet your prescribed partner at the altar, that would be interesting. So yeah, part of it was by design. I think part of it was also by just the development of it.
Speaker 1: What would you say about this whole notion now of pre recorded TV versus live I mean, I've had that conversation with a few people who work in the industry, and producers like to work on content that they turn around in a twenty four hour way and audiences can interact with it. But the reality after COVID is that you've tried to Well, you've made a series of I'm a Celebrity at Home and you've pre recorded it and it's the highest rating series that you've done. Ultimately, does that mean that that's going to change the way that reality television is made or do you think we will go back to live content.
Speaker 2: I can't speak to ten, but I reckon they'd one do then everything below that want two becomes cost covid where you know whether the English come out and do their program in the location that we did our program. So I think yes, you could look at the ratings and go The ratings have been spectacular, huge testament to Beverly mcgarvey's strategy, which is launching early. There are eyeballs there who will embrace this. So that's been fantastically part of that. I think the show is live and dangerous in the sense that there's Chris and Julia and the things that you watch just happened in that day. I think that's the DNA of the show. Could you do it without that? What we've proven that you can? Will we do it again that way? It depends on a lot of other detail. My heart's in Africa. My head says, yeah, we could do it here again, but it will come down to price. There's a cost in both locations, not looking to Rosie for overseas travel at this stage, and also whether we can get that side because we're genuinely doing the show in someone's backyard, so they'll have to be happy for us to come back. But what do you think? You've seen the live versions of both of those franchises, as well as the pre recorded version of both those franchises. What do you reckon?
Speaker 1: Oh? Okay, I think this is what it is. I'm a celebrity. I've really enjoyed this series and whether or not we know the answers to these questions are because it was at home. I think that the mix of celebrities has gelled really well. There's a real matship that we're seeing on screen at the moment, and I feel like that's because they feel a bit safe for being at home in Australia. Certainly to me has been more warm and more enjoyable than from what I can remember, So I think I'm a Celebrity does seem to work with it being pre recorded. There's other shows that are now prerecorded where I think the audience really does need to be there to make the decisions along the way as to who stays on the shows. You can eliminate them, and you've eliminated them fairly and it's been a great thing to watch. But you know on other shows where it it's designed that you know it's colluding, you know, it can come across as being quite sinister. So I enjoy the involvement. I think that the television should be aspirational, but I think that we need to be inclusive. That's when the viewers feel more connected, is when they are a part of it. So the short answer for all of that is I think that these shows, some of them work better as a pre record and some of them don't.
Speaker 2: So on the spot, you have to decide where are we doing the show for season eight, I've obviously get me out of here.
Speaker 1: I honestly think what's going to happen is what will transpire, and I think that you will do prerecorded I'm a celebrity for maybe one or two more seasons. But I think ultimately of the show still is going into its ten season, I think that you will go back to it being live eventually, But we're in a really dangerous time at the moment. You know, the insurance and all the rest of it, that the factors into making a show over in Africa. I just I don't see that happening for a little while.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think the other franchise is Love Island, and you know, Love Island US was not on an island, you know, it was on top of a hotel in Vegas, And I remember a few years ago it might have been Richard Carl's was saying that the concept of the island, it could be like an island of the mine, like you know, we're like we're isolated and on this oasis. You know. In other words, it's an elastic format. But the point is that the content and the premise is not reliant on it being on an island. And I guess with honestly, to get me out of here. The content on the premise is not reliant and being an African jungle, hence the running joke the so called jungle, you know, and I would question whether the chemistry of this year is because the cast would comfortable be closer to home, or whether the cast were just good because they were you know, you never really know until they throw them together whether they're going to click or whether they're going to jar. But they we just looked at each other each day behind the scenes and just went, wow, there was something very special about this cast. And you know how you know, the producers prepare a little bump in games and secret challenge and we were just canceling them. We were saying, why are we doing anything to this cast? Just let them do what they want to do. So the cast is special.
Speaker 1: It's been fascinating, you know, honestly, it's the best cast that I think the show has ever had. I know that, you know, you will probably always remember that first series and say that that was an amazing cast as well. But we really needed I'm a celebrity to be like, Australian audiences really needed this. They really needed to watch, you know, the cast to get along as well as they have because it's been comforting.
Speaker 2: It's great opening the batting for Chann ten in the year. And what I mean by that is we hope that we're successful, but there is a freshness to start in the year with christ and Julia and the same jokes, different cast, you know. And I think this year we were recovering from the COVID year. I mean remember this time last year, Ben, it was you know, the bushfires. It decimated the country. Every day there were the news was just dominated by more and more destruction and the habitatic destruction. And we'd recorded this hilarious cold open to the last season of un Celebrity involving green screens and Christian Julia doing something funny. And then the day before we went to where we just as a group went, well, hang on, we should just wave to Australia and say here we are, we're thinking of you. Maybe you can have a laugh, you know, and we did. We did something very simple like that. Christian Julia is saying, we're thinking of you. If we can do nothing else but make you laugh for the next hour and a half, then you know, hope you've done a bit and that, and that's how we were greeted. You know, Season six and seven have been to where in extraordinary circumstances, and so you know, it's just really pleasing that people have smiled at the program and they still like.
Speaker 1: It when things are tough in our own lives. I think it's important for television to be a place to go to and I think, you know, we do need to create content that continuously is the antidote for what's happening in our own personal life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think, I mean one of the things that Arma Celebrity did, I think was it launched amit an era where high stakes was the core. In card of reality, everything had to be high stakes. You know, there was Jeopardy in high stakes in all the competitive building and cooking and weight loss programs. And this show is special because, as Richard Carl said, it's format self deprecating, and the host we can take the piss out of ourselves, we can make mistakes in point to it. And there is a stake there because people do want to do well in it. But basically we're just there to give people a laugh. So do we announce that you're in the next series. Do we do that now or do we disguise as something.
Speaker 1: I always think things happen in the order that they should come in. Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Like my serious answer is that he Sometimes it's not the person, it's just the timing, you know, like Richard Read for years would put his hand up and season two, three or four that wasn't That wasn't his year. But season five that was the perfect year. It just you just know. I can't even explain why you know what it is in the zeitgeist, but you just know. And so old Miguel for season six. So sometimes it's circumstance. Sometimes it's a lot of other but you know, I reckon you'd probably win it.
Speaker 1: We've got to finish the show on a high note with you, and I'm sure that you have so many different stories. But what's your go to story when you go out for dinner with people and they say, you know, what do you do for work? Do you have a fun story that gets a good laugh out of your friends.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you a very short one which epitomizes what we've discussed, which is the two types of programs I made the terrible serious documentaries and then the frivolous, funny reality shows. And during any given day, you've got a series of meetings, you're fielding a series of phone calls, you're a series of WhatsApp group And it was last year there was a very weighty issue around the Immigration series. So I was in consultation with lawyers about the Privacy Act and immigration law, and then the phone was either ringing with that lawyer or was ringing with alex Or Trent, the head of Trials, And I think in the space of five minutes I became versed in immigration and privacy law. I also learned a lot about the viscosity of elephants, not so in the I'm a Celebrity lab they were trying to perfect slipperiness of snot because they had this Trials' snop coming out of an elephant and they couldn't quite get it slippery enough but thick enough, you know, And so you know, you know, you kind of look look down from Abovey's off and you go, it's a funny old job, isn't it. But in the space of minutes, I was trying to get my head around Claus nine of the Privacy Act and then the pressing issue was whether we could get the snots slippery enough. That's a day in my life.
Speaker 1: Did you give them any advice on what you could use for snot Well, Now this isn't.
Speaker 2: Mad scientist that that Alex Take's credit for. I mean, they are incredible people. One day we'll do the show behind the scenes. But if you look at how we eliminated Jack and Petty Flur, that's a piece of equipment that someone had to design so that they would just go in the air high enough and back enough and face you know you're going to break them, as you said before, So the level of engineering and planning that went into that, and it's just hilarious and something we will do for the next.
Speaker 1: Well, I just want to say thank you so much for your time, for being so generous. I think there is a real thirst for wanting to know what happens behind the scenes, and it's just so fascinating to talk to you, who's so high up the ladder on people who are making content, so I think on behalf of people who got to hear all of your insights. Thank you so much for your time.
Speaker 2: Been lovely to chat to you. Thanks for having me and keep up with the chats. We love beating these people.