Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money. It's the podcast for millennials who want financial freedom.
Speaker 2: I'm traveling for.
Speaker 3: Everybody else to. Oh, it is just a really catchy tagline.
Speaker 1: Well, you've written the mate. Remember whatever you write on the teleprompter. Trav Roebuck will say, I am travel.
Speaker 3: Is really pretty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, why don't you say that, Trav Mitch Churry is really pretty? She put a mark on the end of it. I don't say I.
Speaker 4: Wouldn't say I'm pretty, would you, Victoria? I had more say I think you're handsome's handsome stuff?
Speaker 3: Thank you pretty though, Like you have nice hair, like you know how some people they're like, oh, they're just like rugged handsome, like like you've got soft hair, like you clearly care about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know how some people sweat and it's hot when I sweat. It's discussing.
Speaker 3: We don't have to listen.
Speaker 2: You've got a lovely glow about you.
Speaker 3: Victoria, exactly make me so nervous. Let's move on.
Speaker 1: You know, if we were in a relationship, we probably wouldn't need to start talking about it wouldn't be though. I know, but how much money I'm trying to do? What we call.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that sounds good.
Speaker 4: Guys would be ale.
Speaker 1: When do we start talking about how much money we have and what we want.
Speaker 2: To do with it? If we're a thrupple, I don't know.
Speaker 4: That's tough.
Speaker 3: That's Mitch's job. Your job is to make me cups of tea and bring me my wheat pack. And Mitch, what's my job? I order the Uber eats.
Speaker 4: Yes, I'm not even joking.
Speaker 3: Guy.
Speaker 4: I wasn't going to say anything, but just as as we were recording, I might ordered. I ordered gozlame.
Speaker 3: Oh, some cheeky morning Mexican.
Speaker 1: And exception has an exception that is so damned selfish of you, mate, because the studio is not going to be inhabitable Mate in a couple of hours thanks to you.
Speaker 3: You're kind of food, Mitch.
Speaker 4: Why is that? Why is it not inhabitable?
Speaker 2: Mexican?
Speaker 1: And Mitch, cherry does not equal pleasant smell.
Speaker 3: And also just low key. Do you remember Trev being asked if you'd like some Mexican? I don't remember being offered.
Speaker 1: That silence was me trying to remember and know the answer is Mexic.
Speaker 4: Check your phones. I text you while I was in the bathroom.
Speaker 3: Let's still about this radio show. How did it go this week?
Speaker 4: I thought it was a great show. We did more marketplace fines? What deal did you get? A marketplace all stem from the fact that I'm a marketplace genius and we got an interesting one to have Richard called through and he got a deal which I actually think we should have.
Speaker 3: Never honestly, I want to fact check that. Rich Sorry, if you're listening, how does anybody spend eight thousand dollars on one reclined I'm going.
Speaker 4: To google it time?
Speaker 3: Do you wake it?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: Maybe it's like designer from like King Living or something.
Speaker 4: And he claims what did he claim? He got four thousand dollars chairs? Two of them?
Speaker 3: Two of them?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: When they eight grandeep?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: No, two for eight grand and he pays eight hundred dollars for them.
Speaker 4: Hold on a lazy boy online. I've just checked it can go for two nine nine.
Speaker 2: And what about the chair version? Mitch, you're just looking feet Well.
Speaker 3: We're renovating at the moment, and it's making me really requestion the furniture that's in my house.
Speaker 2: What does the ghost think about your house?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 3: Look, I don't know the ghost. You know how she's turning off and on the kitchen lights at the moment.
Speaker 4: She how do you know it's a she?
Speaker 3: Oh, this makes me sound crazy because I heard her voice. I'm convinced she talks to me. What But it's okay, it's all right. But it's making me requestion all of my furniture in my house right because the furniture in my house is like from when I was at Uni. I just haven't updated it. Like I have these chairs that I actually did buy on Facebook market Place, no gum Tree. Sorry, well the one gum Tree ages ago, and I think it was like six of them for like one hundred dollars or something. They were getting rid of them. They weren't good to begin with and now they're like real terrible. But I'm looking at buying new ones. What do you mean eight hundred dollars a chair for something that's reasonably looking? Like, I just don't understand why things are so expensive.
Speaker 1: And you're worried now that the ghost is going to judge your furniture. But the good thing is she's turning off your life.
Speaker 3: No, I'm worried that I'm going to build a new kitchen and then have ugly furniture in the house.
Speaker 2: Honestly, that's all right.
Speaker 1: Well, you know what, we are going to save you some cash so you can put towards some beautiful furniture for your brand new house.
Speaker 2: Your tips are amazing.
Speaker 3: I'm working on a Saturday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's get straight into the radio show to find out exactly how you can do it. It's She's on the Money radio show right now.
Speaker 4: Enjoy it radio. She's on the Money Radio show with Victoria Divine.
Speaker 1: Starts see Saturday morning right across the country. She's on the Money Radio Show with Australia's number one finance podcaster Victoria Divine and Mixtury as well.
Speaker 2: Guys, we are.
Speaker 1: Doing all thanks to Budget Direct, winner of Can Stars Insurer of the Year Award twenty twenty two. Budget Direct Insurance sold.
Speaker 2: See it's a good tagline.
Speaker 4: It's a great tagline, like.
Speaker 3: A mystery tagline like crime podcasting. Really in so like maybe they're playing off on that. Have you seen their ads? They're like little detective dude.
Speaker 4: Oh my god. That ads are like a little little movie really would cut.
Speaker 3: That's why we're working with them.
Speaker 4: We love your Budget Direct.
Speaker 1: Now, speaking of TV, obviously, you're a huge Kimmy Kay and Pete Davison fan, Victoria, But.
Speaker 3: What about me made that obvious?
Speaker 1: Well, the fact that you always watch every reality show under the sun as we and I only ever.
Speaker 3: Wear skims and easy.
Speaker 4: Well, that Chanel bag that you've got next to you, that's very Kardashi down, sir.
Speaker 3: We are trying to be relatable. That was a splurch that I still feel good.
Speaker 4: It was self moment and you've deserved it.
Speaker 1: But I'm thinking, okay, because obviously Kim kardashially and got a heap of money. Pete Davidson got his own money as well. But when did Is that perfect time? And how do you start bringing up money with a brand new partner?
Speaker 3: Is Kim k really the one that we have this conversation about, Like that is so unrelatable?
Speaker 4: She's a billionaire, do you reckon?
Speaker 3: They get to check out at like the supermarket on a Thursday evening, They're like, oh, we'll cook this for dinner when we get home, and then they like argue with their cards like every other mormal.
Speaker 4: Oh it's a kind sorry, it's fine.
Speaker 2: Billions.
Speaker 3: On the other line, I didn't transfer any cash over Oh no, sorry, but that's different, right, Their level of wealth is so significantly different. But it is kind of awkward talking about money if you're in a couple or you're like dating somebody new, because you can't just put your hand up and be like, what do you earn? That's weird.
Speaker 4: Could you do it on the first date?
Speaker 2: Nah?
Speaker 4: Now you could. I would do it on the first date.
Speaker 3: Would you go? How would you ask pitch?
Speaker 4: It's a if you were making a good amount of money, you would, But if you weren't making good money, you wouldn't bring it up. That's the difference.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But like, I just want to know what your money story is and how it works, and I guess that's what we'll get into today, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And what kind of questions shouldn't you ask your new partner?
Speaker 3: Look, obviously I am, she's on the money and I talk about this all the time. And I used to be so awkward about money. Like when I met my partner, I was in some pretty significant credit card debt and personal debt because I was basically a genius. So it got really awkward talking about money. But I think that when you talk about it, we actually need to remove ourselves from the here and now of what you earn and what you're spending and actually just talk about like money stories, which sounds a little bit fluffy, but I promise it leans harder into fully understand what's going on. Right, Like, think about your mate who's always that stinge, Like you know that guy, Yeah, but you go to dumplings and they're like, well, actually I ate one less dumplings, so iow fourteen dollars forty and else. Yeah, okay, well poor Steve. Anyway, that guy, let's like reframe it for a hot second and go, well, maybe he's actually just frugal with money because he grew up and he didn't have a lot of it, and money makes him really anxious, and he's actually just trying to, you know, deal with his own anxieties around money. That then makes you feel a bit of a mean person, Thank you, mate.
Speaker 2: So I think it's about sorry, Steve.
Speaker 3: I think it's about understanding where you've come from, and like, did you grow up talking about money, like not necessarily asking what they earn or how much they should spend on things, but rather hey, how did you speak about money growing up? Well, if we're in a relationship, like should we be fifty to fifty or should we be splitting expenses based on what we earn? Like Trav obviously earned so much more than I Joe. Yeah, so should he be paying more of the bills? If we're in a quote equitable relationship? And then we could try a real big debate about equity versus equality in a relationship.
Speaker 4: Yes, Itch Trap buys me a coffee before the show every Saturday morning, So I don't know what's going on with you, Victoria.
Speaker 1: But no, But I think no matter what it is, the most important thing that a lot of people don't think about when they get into a relationship is just being on the same page.
Speaker 2: That's all it is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just.
Speaker 3: Want to open honest conversation, Like you don't need to dive into the first date and be like, all right, well who's paying for this and that and how does it all work? But I think that money can actually be really empowering, Like at the end of the day, flip it, think about your partner, like you have no idea what your new partner's financial circumstances are, and by just talking about it kind of takes the pressure off. If we're going on dates, like do they always have to be fancy or do you really like dates where we described pizza and eat it on the couch watching movies like oh yeah yeah, so easy to lean into trying to impress your new flame really early, and like they might not even like that.
Speaker 1: They might like spending their time on Facebook Marketplace either selling, oh yeah, or buying And you're talking my language.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's where you met your partner.
Speaker 1: I was hoping you weren't going to say that you bought your partner of Facebook Tinder guys, are you on fast book?
Speaker 2: What do you need? Second friends?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 2: On thirteen one six y five.
Speaker 1: We want to know what did you score on Facebook Marketplace and how much did you save?
Speaker 2: Mitch, what do you reckon? The best thing you've scored is.
Speaker 4: Many a thing. I'll tell you what. If I could order food on Facebook Marketplace and I could all get petrol on Facebook Marketplace, I would never be off Facebook Marketplace. But recently I bought a milkroffer. I was actually telling you, Victoria, I think we're talking about, like, oh, what what's the best milk froffit again? On the Smeg.
Speaker 3: Meg milk crother and I really like it. But the real question here is why is Mitch Jury trying to buy a milk frofer that he can quite clearly afford. Instead, you want someone's dank second to hand one with dry brown milk in the place it.
Speaker 4: It's character happened, It's not it's this is not character. It's dried congealed milk in the corner. And I said, is this hused? Because I had to zoom in and see that you barely barely.
Speaker 3: No, you can clean that like mine is pristine. Just so you know if you come over, you can borrow it, give it.
Speaker 4: A little trial next, think you.
Speaker 3: But like for a dude who spent seventeen thousand dollars last year three every show we do, it's all I've got. We could also bring up the fact that you were the cash coock one time, which wow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Okayjo're gonna start talk about your poo habits again.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, because we need to ask people on thirteen one, six five, what have you scored on Facebook Marketplace? And how much have you saved? Richard's called us mate, what did you score?
Speaker 5: Well? I scored two Recliner cheers and saved myself a fortune, all.
Speaker 2: Right, Joey And what's a recliner?
Speaker 3: Yeah? They say, well, actually, I'm a therapist, so I use it to counsel people so they kind of go back and think about their mother.
Speaker 4: Or something like that as well.
Speaker 3: Off, did you get an invoice like are you going to claim it on tax as well?
Speaker 4: Yeah, got an invoice that's also text seductible. How much did you pay these two chairs? Richard?
Speaker 3: So they were eight hundred dollars and they were as new, and they would have been eight thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: What ingrad for a chair? Wow?
Speaker 3: Oh you know what I've seen that My nana is totally into those. Lazy boy what about the chairs? Absolutely raw? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Well yeah, all right, take it to your calls. Thirday one A six five? What's the best bargain you've scored on Facebook? Marketplace? Now? Z, you're a seller? What are you selling?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 5: I sold a mobile phone on Marketplace?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Was it the iPhone six last week?
Speaker 5: It was an iPhone eleven? And I made a profit on it because I sold it for more than what my payout was when I upgraded.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, how did you work out the payout though?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 3: Did you just calculate it and then chuck it on Facebook Marketplace for more.
Speaker 5: No, so I already had to pay my phone out so I could upgrade, And then I had this spare phone that I wasn't doing anything with, so I chucked it on Marketplace for what it was worth in the market at the time. And that was You know, you didn't.
Speaker 3: Even stooge anyone. You are an angel, my friend. Is it annoying? Fielding so many questions from people like, oh, is it an iPhone? Can I have another photo of your iPhone? Because I feel like that's what they do.
Speaker 5: I got to ask the things like can you send me photos of what your battery health is? And does the speaker on the phone work? And just really and I had some scammers try and say I'm sending it to my son that studying abroad.
Speaker 4: Of course they.
Speaker 3: Did you learn how to use the block button real quick? Because I would have Oh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, did you block a user by the name of Mitch Cherry by any chance? Because I feel like I probably would.
Speaker 2: Have had also Hitch Murray as well.
Speaker 4: Okay, thanks for the call. We got to end. Now we're over to great to chat chat.
Speaker 2: Hey, that was actually really fun.
Speaker 3: Let's do more of that because I actually want to hear more about people's blunders on Facebook marketplace. I also really would like it if you guys blow up our inbox with screenshots of terrible conversation you've had with people.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, perfect, and you say.
Speaker 3: Yes and then they say thank you sir, like I just want all of that.
Speaker 4: Or Victoria. They could go, I've got this side and I want to sell, but I don't have any experience. Mitch, can you help me sid for maximum price? Yeah, and I'll only take a fifty percent cut.
Speaker 3: That's that is such a good win.
Speaker 2: This is She's on the Money radio show. Guys, it is time to do this.
Speaker 4: Oh my god. The caller that we just had, we should have asked if we could borrow I think it was Richard his therapy chairs. Because this is kind of like a little bit of therapy on the show.
Speaker 3: We should get therapy chairs.
Speaker 2: And get the microphones hanging down. So we do it hanging down.
Speaker 3: Bean bags, but they make too much noise, I'd.
Speaker 4: Probably Yeah, not good for a radio show anyway.
Speaker 3: Really get out of them.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I've just spent the night in a bean bag one night because I couldn't get out. I just had to commit to it.
Speaker 2: It's Finney.
Speaker 1: You know, we all have our problems, just like Sophie, who sent us a message Mitch.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Sophie hit us up on this. She's on the money Instagram and she needed advice from Victoria. So she's asked. My dad passed away six months ago, and I've just recently discovered that he's left me a much bigger inheritance than i'd expected. How good? That's good? All up? It's almost a million dollars. A bit nervous about what to do with it rightly? So there are always new stories of people getting a massive sum of money and wasting and I really want to be wise with this inheritance. What do I need to do?
Speaker 2: Victoria?
Speaker 4: Hell lash?
Speaker 3: Do you know how common it is to actually blow all that cash when you get an inheritance on what though, on what life like? It just adds up so quickly. Like imagine me if I turned around and said he's a million barks, you'd be like, sweet, I'm going to buy myself a house. I'm going to buy any yah, I'm going to take my friends overseas. Like there's so many things that easily easily get over a million dollars, even though that sounds like an incomprehensible amount of money. And I say that because, as you guys know, more legit financial advisor like legit as you say, I mean you can actually you can look me up on the financial advisor register and they'll tell you I'm legit. But that's actually what I specialize in. So I do a lot of lump some investment and inheritance advice. And the number one thing I would say is sit on it, don't make any decision, don't make any purchase.
Speaker 4: Just wait, put it high insurance.
Speaker 3: What are you talking about? High insurance?
Speaker 4: High interest, babe, And that's why you're the money expert.
Speaker 3: Insurance always recommended. But I would absolutely be sitting on it and taking a really big deep breath and going, what do I actually want to achieve? Because so many of us would just see this as big flashing lights and go, oh my gosh, I can afford to buy a house outright, money win. You no longer have a mortgage, But do you know what you have to do? You still have to go to work each and every single day to put table and pay the bills and do all of those things you have whilst alleviating the fact that you now don't have to pay rent or a mortgage, you still have to have money coming in. So we need to be looking at alternative investments. Because if we flipped this right and said, all right, instead of buying a property with your million bucks, we are going to invest that really safely, really securely, at an average rate of return of about seven and a half percent, which is pretty conservative. Right, Yeah, thirty years from now, you're going to have nearly ten million dollars. Oh Jesus, with that ten million dollars, do you know what we could do. We could pay off a mortgage, We could pay our rent forever and never be constrained financially. Whereas if we make short term decisions like going and buying a house outright cause we're like, oh, we don't want to pay interest, we don't want to pay that mortgage you go, is that actually putting you in the best possible position. So we need to look at what that looks like holistically, at the same time as being back to Victoria divine fluffy mode, being really respectful of that money, Like your dad he wants to be here, you want him to be here. We would easily trade a million bucks to get your dad back in a heartbeat. But this is the next best thing, right, how do we honor that and create the life that you deserve to live to make sure he's still I guess living via legacy through you, and I think that that's where we really need to think about it. And it goes back to the advice of just sit on it, don't make any rush decisions, make a decision that works for you.
Speaker 4: Welcome to the Church of Victoria, Divine Preacher, Baby. That was good advice. Is their food and oh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, but like bigger cups, bigger I.
Speaker 1: Mean I was in until you said you were going to see But for those of us who haven't inherited a million bucks, how about we do Super Savior Saturday with Victoria. You can give us some sneaky tips on how to keep more bucks in our bank account.
Speaker 3: We can. It's tax edition and of financial year, so last week because I had too many tax tips, so hopefully I can get at least three out this day.
Speaker 2: This is She's on the Money radio show. Guys.
Speaker 1: It's our favorite time of the week because it's time for this Saturday tax edition.
Speaker 4: Your first everyone saying happy are your first everybody the end of financial year for the rest of June is well, she's on the Money radio show about right, we're going to be giving you tax tips to help you save some money ahead of the end of finance You last year, Trav and I got the cobweb started to grow Victoria when on a rant. So many tips, let's make them fun tips, be nice.
Speaker 3: All my tips are fun.
Speaker 4: You're right, You're right, and give us your tips. Stump me to tip number one. All right.
Speaker 3: Tax tip number one for this week is absolutely the episome of twenty twenty one twenty twenty two financial year, and that is the government announced in February that COVID nineteen testing expenses are now tax deductible for tests that are required for you to go to work.
Speaker 4: Good like rats, yeah, rats, rats a tip I can get around Victoria.
Speaker 3: Exactly and the next obviously very twenty twenty one cost edition tax tips home and office expenses. So if you're working from home, which is ninety nine point ninety five percent of us, you can actually claim some of the office expenses that you incurred, like internet and your electricity and the heating because like through winter, and we're all in iso at home trying to keep warm. At least you're going to get some of that back.
Speaker 2: You'd so be an uti kind of girl with the heater craked up.
Speaker 3: I'm not alady kind of goal. Do you know what type of galley am though? The electric throw blanket?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, get it, and I love it.
Speaker 3: I don't want to have to redo my heat. Weat packing the microwave for three minutes every hour.
Speaker 2: Let's be honest. Steve does that your partner?
Speaker 3: Yeah, chop, chop back to it. The other one is work clothing, So if you've had to buy repair, higher purchase, foot beare, whatever it is for your job that is related to your uniform, you could very well claim that. And then also just being a little bit selfless. Is it selfless when you claim your charitable donations?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Facts, that's a dog act.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean you can do it anything about two dollars. You can actually pop on your tax return and get a cheeky little cash back. But I'm like, what kind of person gives money away to then claim it on tax now?
Speaker 4: Because the money all still goes to the charity. The charity don't give any of it back, it's just the government.
Speaker 3: That's okay, we will take the government's money. Then. Also, day everything that just showing everybody that I'm like, not rich rich, because if you're rich, Riach, you do make taxable deductions and like donation in line with tax and I'm like, I'm not there yet. I made like five dollars to the Salvos.
Speaker 1: I don't know about you, Mitch, but I thought it was going to be super boring tax stuff.
Speaker 2: But this is stuff I would actually use.
Speaker 3: Can you please let me get back into it though. Also, if you're a landlord and you do like home improvements and stuff, do you know what is categorized according to the ATO as a home improvement? Yeah, putting a gnome in the front garden.
Speaker 2: Nome way, you are joking me.
Speaker 4: We need to start selling She's on the money names on the website nomes.
Speaker 3: Let everybody know that you have like your little emergency fund set up and that you don't send as much as Mitchea the porcelain faces.
Speaker 1: I only going to be doing it. Available on Facebook market Play. Yes, Hey, we got to get out of here. We'll catch you next week. Until then, you can catch up with us anytime. On socials. Just search she's on the money.