Speaker 1: Welcome back, guys to TV Reload. As you may know, my name is Benjamin Norris, and I want to thank you for clicking or downloading on my first episode of TV reload spinoff series What to Watch. I am excited to be bringing you a very different dimension of my podcast this year, where I'll be unpacking and discussing a selection of watercolor programs that you may be currently binging from around the world. I will be dropping a weekly episode on iHeartRadio moving Forward with some hot topics and hopefully give you some fun opinions on your favorite shows. I have a special guest today, my former co host Alana McLean. You may know her from commercial radio, TV presenting and also from what I understand, the unofficial queen of Western Australian sporting events. Alana McLean is easily one of my most fashionable friends, one of my most knowledgeable friends, and I often refer to her as the future of Australian Housewives. She's not actually on a current series of Housewives, but she's definitely going to end up on that series at some point. Anyway, Guys, let's all sit back and relax as I welcome Alana MacLean to the podcast, and I hope you enjoy my first weekly what to Watch episode of TV Reload. Thank you so much for joining me on TV Reload after three years. Oh my gosh, we're just literally now broadcasting our usual conversations.
Speaker 2: Right oh the id. Yeah, we need a gender point, We need minutes taken because we do cover a lot of ground. Sometimes we end up talking for half an hour without anything that we were actually supposed to discuss.
Speaker 1: That's what I love about my friends, especially in my friendships with my girlfriends, and that is that I feel like I'm in a forever conversation.
Speaker 2: Oh well, I'm so excited that we're getting to do this and getting to talk about some of our favorite shows that we end up just gas bagging about anyway, So it's actually perfect for us.
Speaker 1: Well, each week I'm going to be joined by a rotating list of guests that are all my friends, and we'll discuss all of the latest TV shows right across your freeedoware and streaming services. This week, we're going to discuss the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills. Of course, we're going to talk about Maide and Chelsea, which is the first sort of semi scripted reality that's kind of come to Australia. We'll talk about boy Swallows Universe, which is huge on net so I feel like that's the water cooler conversation at the everyone's talking about that one. And then also we have to dip in on Real Housewives of Salt Lake City if we have the time, because.
Speaker 2: Oh, we'll make the time.
Speaker 1: It's a huge talking time. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but let's start with Beverly Hills because that is our favorite, so let's dive in there.
Speaker 1: Well, the women are back this year in one of the most highly anticipated seasons of the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills. I think you'd agree which Australian audiences would be watching on binge and Hey you so far season thirteen has center this is my take on it, but I feel like it's centered around the drama with Kyle Richard's marriage breakdown, which is kind of and it had been playing out of the press over the twelve months leading up into this series. What are your feelings on season thirteen so far?
Speaker 2: It's just missing something the Kyle and Maurizio I think did come from left field. I wouldn't say anyone was expecting that and particularly we've seen their whole relationship over the thirteen years. She's very loved up with him. She always says, they make their marriage your priorities. Suddenly it's just been a complete shift of gears. But I do think we've been a little bit spoilt for choice with the drama that's ensued over the last couple of years with Beverly Hills, because I think we had all the Erica Janes' storyline last year, obviously pretty explosive Releasa, Rinna and Kathy and the whole Aspen sort of situation. So maybe we're just used to having a little bit more drama from the Beverly Hills ladies, and then this year it's just kind of dialed back down a notch. And I think the dynamics between the ladies are a little bit strange at the moment as well. I don't know if everyone's sort of really clicking.
Speaker 1: I think it does feel fractured, and I think it does highlight the fact that Kyle Richards kind of is the real queen Bee of the show, and if her friendships with the women is fractured, it's very obvious, and I think that seems to be where the problem lies, because for whatever reason, we'd read through the press that she had not been on the group chat talking to Drek and Erica and the usual Fox Force five or however they were referring to them. So I feel like that is bleeding into the show in a way, and then having to bring in someone who is so dominant like Sutton and Garcelle, they sort of taking up the line's share of the content.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, that's true, and I think it's particularly with Sutton as well. It's sort of drama, but it's erratic drama, Like it's not easy to watch. It's like watching someone have an episode and then the next week they're fine again and you're like, oh, I kind of like this Sutton, and then the next week there's something crazy again. So it's sort of not storyline drama. It's just someone who is a little bit left of center and you never know what you're going to get. I really don't think I'm on ball with Sudden. I keep going back and forth, but I think I've decided I'm just not there with her. I think Garcel's done well to earn her diamond over the years. I quite enjoy her. I mean has she gone a bit too far with the sort of the education, the preachy, the having a dig at Deriat, trying to find things to kind of throw at her, rather than just I just don't really like you, to be honest, you great me. I don't know why, and I just don't really want to be friends with you, rather than sort of bringing all that other stuff to the table, little things, little digs all the time, just to kind of put it out there.
Speaker 1: But do you think I like that? That's where you're going with that, And I appreciate your take, But I also wonder whether or not to read as low hanging fruit for Garcel, because I don't know whether any of the other women would roll over as fast as dread It has done.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, that's a good point.
Speaker 1: Had she taken Erica Jane out for that lunch and then tried to school her, I don't think Erica would have been able to hold back like I think that was painful to watch that breakfast that we saw them have or it was a lunch, I can't remember now, but it was painful to watch the interaction between the two of them, because you know, Garcell didn't feel like she was she didn't come across to the audience like she was being that authentic And why wasn't Duret just saying fuck you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, but when you play the race card, you can't. She was cornered into a situation where she couldn't say fuck you, and that was basically it what I just was not. And I think she'll get pulled up on these at the reunion. I'd be surprised if she didn't. She made such a big deal and in her confessionals that you can't label women black women, angry, aggressive, you can't say the word attack very much, saying they are labeling words and they're derogatory and they're not okay. But then she sat at the lunch and she labeled to read as a Karen and then she said about her privilege and she was throwing around labels like it was no problem at all. So I think if you're going to play that game, they have to be very careful how you play it because all that stuff, as we know, is going to get roll back at the reunion and she's going to have a lot to answer for.
Speaker 1: You know, what are your thoughts on Sutton and Garcelle really becoming a mouthpiece for the super fans and the community that's grown there, because a lot of people are saying that those women aren't just being themselves, they're taking too much interest in what the lynch mob, I guess, is saying online and then they're voicing those things. Do you think that that's still happening.
Speaker 2: Well, they've been accused of that sort of since the get go, haven't they very very strong sort of fan base on x Twitter? So I don't know. It's I think that would make sense why Sutton has these crazy moments and then she pulls it back. Crazy moments and then she pulls it back. If that is the kind of temperature check that she's taking in regards to her behavior, like you've gone too far, pull it back, I wouldn't be surprised. I feel like they definitely came in wanting to really build their fan base, and I guess that's one way to do it.
Speaker 1: You know, it's interesting. I remember a casting person who was doing I'm a Celebrity was saying to me about how not to cast someone that's going to gazump a series, and I remember them specifically talking about Osha Ginsburg and saying that he's a bit kookie, and he's also very opinionated and has them out their opinions, and that, whilst that's a very rich character to throw into the mix, it would gazump the whole show. And I feel like we're at that point now with sudden is her cookiness gazumping this whole show? Is there a possibility we're running the risk of jumping shark with Housewives because of it?
Speaker 2: They just haven't had much to go on this season, so you sort of wonder whether they've just made something more out of that, because they are really are at a loss, and I think, you know, bringing back all these people, Denise, I mean, that was just painful to watch that Denise Erica thing. I mean, what even was that Camille? We're seeing a bit of Kim Richards. I mean, it does feel like they're clutching at straws to bring anyone back to the meats that might, you know, be appealing for next week's trailer that gets people back into watch, when really this Kyle Richard's storyline with Mauricio is the strongest one that they've had. Everything else is a bit by the wayside. They're trying to make something out of this Crystal and mar thing and the esophaga thing. I mean, that is the most stupid storyline since since Dodgegate or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, any of those.
Speaker 2: So, I don't know. I think they're just struggling. So maybe that's why we're seeing a bit more of Sutton's cookiness, because they're just like, we need something.
Speaker 1: Do you remember I was catching up last year while they're filming this series, and I said to you, I've heard that they've put the show on pause, told them all that basically nothing has happened so far, and that they're brought in Denise, Richards, Camille and in. And remember I was like, they've brought these three in and you were like, yes, you know, if they've brought those women in, all three of those women, this show must have been quite weak to grab those three women who are so noisy.
Speaker 2: Well, that's right, and I think we're really for me personally, I'm really feeling that loss of Lisa Renner. I think just the feistiness, the humor, the quick wit, the fashion, the sort of ability to kind of get in there and sort of poke the bear a little bit where it needs to be poked. I think, Eric ha, it's great to see her having a bit of a redemption season, but she does seem a little bit lost without her friends, so I sort of wonder how much long is she's going to be on the show as well.
Speaker 1: Well, I just think that they have to bring Lisa Renna back. I mean, how much of that absence of Lisa Renna from season thirteen is affecting everyone's overall enjoyment because I'd like to take people to task over the anti Renner fans. Weren't they loving to hate her? Like? Were they really wanting her completely gone? Because they've got their way now and it's pretty damn clear that you're missing your PG villain who's ready to ask people questions and hold them to account.
Speaker 2: I completely agree, and I don't think there's necessarily anyone playing that.
Speaker 1: Role now maybe sudden, I don't know, Like, do you think somethin maybe doing that. I think Sutton spent a long time coming after Renner for playing that villain role. But I actually starting to think that Ston's just as guilty, or if not worse than Rinna with some of her takedowns and some of her lack of awareness, And yeah.
Speaker 2: Well I think that's why. Honestly, That's probably why when you ask something like that, I've gone, oh yeah, okay, Sutton, she answers some questions or whatever, but it's like, when I'm watching her, I'm not really taking her that seriously, And because the next episode, like last night, she was all back chumming with Kyle and whatever, but then we just saw too were ago they went even talking, she was throwing those accusations that are at the dinner table. Kyle was really pissed off with her, and then it all seems to go away. Whereas with Lisa, I sort of feel like if she was going to have an agenda and sort of be like, right, it's on, she wasn't like that, And so I sort of feel like Sutton is in this weird flip floppy universe where she just says whatever comes into her head, but then the next week it's fine. So I don't know whether I take her seriously enough in that role, and I don't know whether she's got enough a long gear ready to play that card.
Speaker 1: Ongoing, what about dere do you think is Dreed still relevant in this series? Because I don't necessarily see how she's going to I mean, she clearly needs the paycheck. I think, you know, how long is she going to stay in that marriage. I don't think I'd be staying in that marriage, to be honest. Even whilst they're unpacking the troubles in their marriage, they both just don't seem well suited. Do you think she should be reduced to like a friend of the show in series fourteenth?
Speaker 2: I think she is on borrowed time. But I think look, she played her role perfectly. She was sort of not polar I mean she was a little bit at the start, she sort of ruffled a few feathers, but when she was sitting in that Fox Force five I guess dynamic she was the sort of one that wasn't too polarizing. She fit in nicely. She obviously had that really strong friendship with Kyle. We loved sort of seeing, you know, their friendship. Yeah, outside of the show, the fashion obviously a huge part because that's been lacking a little bit. It's sort of a scary one to think about when you start to unravel that thread because Lisa's gone, and then you go, okay, well where there is dereet fit Eric has seems like she's floating a little bit. I mean, this could be the beginning of the end.
Speaker 1: But you know what's interesting, They've got this glamour shot of direct in the opening credits where we see her leaning across this balcony. But don't you think it kind of looked like she was at a ghetto? Like it was.
Speaker 2: But you know that was the Beverly Hilton Hotel because that's where they were having the charity event the Homeless. Oh god, I have to say it right now. I was not toothless. That was where they were having the gala. And those were the photos that she took on the balcony before she went down for the gala, And I was like, Beverly Hilton really needs to.
Speaker 1: Look at paint. Like, do you remember those old commission houses that were like in South Yarra sort of close.
Speaker 2: To you where I lived?
Speaker 1: Yeah, me, where you lived, but there was makes it sound like you were living in the ghetto. You were certainly not, but beautiful apartment that you lived in, but right next to those ghettos. That's kind of what it looked like. It looked like she was at the ghetto.
Speaker 2: Even like last night when they you know, had the episode and they were doing the walkaround and then PK saying, oh the carpet, you know, can we do anything about that in five days? So maybe it's just a little bit outdated, but I mean certainly iconic.
Speaker 1: Wasn't it you that said to me the other day about the hair as well, about she can't afford to have that blonde hair anymore? She's really going back.
Speaker 2: Oh she's cutting back. I mean it's grown on me a little bit, the darker hair. But I don't think she's having the same VavaVoom impact that we've seen over the previous years, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree. I agree. We'll just touching on some of the things that happened in Bitter Pill to Swallow, which was so twelve. I guess that's whatever it'll be discussing this week. Anne Marie had a lot of people on the wood.
Speaker 2: I'd say, half the time people are calling her Anna Marie, And then I was like, isn't it Anne Marie? And then the credits say Anne Marie. But listen carefully. I would love to hear what people think. Half the time people are calling her Anna Marie, and it's very confusing, But.
Speaker 1: It's Anne Marie. Her name is Anne Marie Wiley.
Speaker 2: Listen when they say it, they say, Anna Marie, Oh.
Speaker 1: Well, I've really got to go check you.
Speaker 2: I mean, who cares? Really do we care about her? And do we care about Crystal and Jeff, her brother. I mean, honestly, if you were looking for anything even worse than the Esophaga storyline is Crystal and her brother Jeff.
Speaker 1: You can imagine that's producers on the sidelines just saying to Crystal, Okay, you know you really should have been five three seasons ago. You're going to need to say something to Anna Marie or however you want to call her. You're going to need to call her a bitch or a slader, a cunt. And Crystal clearly looked uncomfortable, even being as savage as she was, didn't you think, like she said it, and she looked like she was like, yes, is that enough? Is that what I'm supposed to do?
Speaker 2: Like? Yeah, I agree, I agree. It seemed forced, It seemed out of place. Nothing we've seen from her in three years would indicate that she would just start calling someone a bitch of black tie event loudly. You know, it didn't seem like her, but who she is just isn't that And I think after three years, I mean, you've got to really question her place.
Speaker 1: Ongoing, especially seeing as we don't have Teddy Mellencamp, who's genuinely Kyle's best friend, like as in, where's think a genuine connection through to Kyle, who, by the way, no matter what you think of Teddy Mellencamp would certainly be unearthing things on camera with Kyle to do with this relationship, you know, with the fall down of Marizio and you know, this girlfriend. Like, I think that Teddy Mellencamp right now is the right person to try and bring more out of Kyle about the truth about what's happening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well we see, we saw her last week at Loreene's celebration of life event. I mean, she's still very much in Kyle's life all the time. I think the producers seem obviously reluctant to give her any more screen like to give Denise or someone more screen time than what they're giving Teddy. Knowing that Teddy is Kyle's best friend and Kyle's gone through this tumultuous year, I don't think we're going to be seeing her back anytime soon. They obviously just for whatever reason, don't want to give her the airtime.
Speaker 1: Would you one of my favorite housewives ever? And people come for me?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I agree? And she was really integral to that whole Denise Richard's Brandy expose, Like she was the one that basically said around that table when they are in Rome or whatever, like this is what happened. She said, you had sex, blah blah blah blah blah. Did you say these things about me? Did you say these things about the other women? I don't think she was afraid to getting there at all. And then I think listening to her sins, she has more found her voice. I think she's more confident, even has more conviction. It would be interesting to bring the likes of her back with a Lisa Rinner and then really see what happened.
Speaker 1: Then well, that's what the series needs right now. I think you need Kathy Kim Kyle in one series. You need the authenticity of the.
Speaker 2: Fact happy you'll never come back. She will never come back. I just think she's done. I think she got exposed a little bit for the true person that she is, and I don't think that's how she was trying to present herself on that show. And I just don't think she would risk that ever. Again.
Speaker 1: Fair to say though at this point though with Paris and Love season two, she ain't coming off that great on that series either. Like I don't see her understanding reality television the way that I feel like she thought. When we'd get a taste of her over the years with Housewives, where she'd turn up, you think, oh, this woman understands control, She understands those cameras are playing. But then with Paris and Love and her two seasons on Housewives, she's kind of clueless as to how she's coming out.
Speaker 2: And I think the producers when she was a friend of and we just saw those little comedic sort of brinklings throughout the show where she wasn't sort of front and center in any of the drama. She'd sort of rock up in her quirky hats and you know, funny songs or whatever, and everyone have a laugh and a caviar and potato and whatever. But then when she really got exposed, I think for some of her true personality traits, and if you watch Paris in Love season one, you see how controlling and domineering she sort of is over Paris's wedding and you know, she obviously got very upset about Paris hiding the pregnancy from her with the sarrogate in series two. I think that's just genuinely who she is. And I think when Lisa Rinner maybe it was slightly embellished, but I think the truth of the matter is she did have a meltdown that night in Aspen. She wasn't expecting it to get called out in any capacity, and so when it did and the whole thing blew up, and obviously not talking to Kyle for months after that, I just don't think she'll ever come back and put herself in that situation again where she is likely to look worse.
Speaker 1: I don't understand Kathy's popularity as well. Like I enjoyed the kookiness and some of the one line the hunky Dory and sleeping with the fan on, when you know that's kind of poverty porn for what we'd expect of her. You know, you'd expect that she's so wealthy, she'd have like Frank Sinatra back from the dead yodeling to her to sleep. I think she'd have a Kmart fan that she's dragging around the country so she could sleep at night. I wasn't even sold by that. But look, and I just want to finish on one thing. And that was the text between you and I last night in regards to Kyle and Maurizio and how awkward that car ride was. What is going on with that?
Speaker 2: What's she just seems done? She just seems done. And to be honest, I think I think something's happened with Maurizio. We've heard rumblings about this. I'd certainly heard rumblings about this through some contacts that I'd had for years, and I think something more has gone down with him. And I think she doesn't want to throw him under the bus because of his business and him filming the show and their daughters are on their show buying Beverly Hills, and she's having to keep quiet. But that anger and resembment is just seething out of every poor in her body, and I just think she I don't know if they're going to come back from that. I just really can't at this point in time, I can't see it happening at all. Regardless of the Morgan Wade thing. I think she is done with Maurizio, at least for the time being. She is pissed.
Speaker 1: Morgan Wade drives me wild, like I can't see the chemistry, Like I wish we could see something there to believe the friendship. Make a clear cut decision on whether it's a relationship.
Speaker 2: To me, I all does seem very giggly, and she does seem very starstruck by her. I don't know whether it's necessarily in a relationship. Ye, I want to be with you kind of way. But it's like if you, you know, like if you were friends with someone really famous or something and you're really starstruck by them, You're like, I can't believe they're friends with me. She's got that weird energy going on for sure.
Speaker 1: Well, the cast have made in Chelsea, have landed in Sydney in search of some winter sunshine is what they call it in the UK. The returning cast of the long running UK based semi scripted reality series are all thrilled to be here in Australia checking out our Sydney Harbor now. In episode one, they climbed the Sydney Harbor Bridge. Not something I've ever done, but I guess very touristy. They hopped onto a fabulous yacht. I don't think I've done that either, definitely topped up my ten though on Bondi Beach. But will the drama of the twenty sixth series follow them to down Under? And will it translate? So have you been like, do you think semi scripted reality is not for Australia? Do you? Because we haven't really had it. We kind of had Byron Bays and that kind of had a bit of a cult success, but it certainly didn't lift and they didn't make another series of it. But do you think semi scripted's too late to be here in Australia.
Speaker 2: I just don't know whether Australia ad buys it, do you know what I mean? I think we're just a little bit too cut through the bull sheet and I think we've got enough sort of reality shows getting produced here that people have been more invested in. I don't know if you would bring that format in, whether it's a bit too late. There's too much going on, We've got a lot of choices. Do we really need something else there in the meex And I will say I just felt really old watching that show, Like, honest to god, I was like, oh my god, because you know, the whole sort of premise of what they talk about. All they talk about is their relationships within each other, who's with who, and then who's single and we're excited to be single? And I was like, oh my god, I just never felt older. So I don't think it's something that I'll be investing in ongoing.
Speaker 1: But do you think this show is made for us or do you think this is still being made for the UK? Because I've got to the UK, it's being made for the UK. It's kind of like they've gone semi scripted Home and Away in BONDI go and then throwing some money at it because I can see how the UK people might enjoy that, but I just don't see how anyone in Australia is going to want to jump on this show.
Speaker 2: I think it's definitely still been made for the UK. They've obviously built a you know, I was solid following over the years, and they're the people that want to be like, oh, we can see a bit of the Sydney sort of you know, beach and the Harbor Bridge, and we can have a little bit of sprinkling of looking at all that while we're watching these characters. But really, I mean the storyline's going to be the same wherever you put that show.
Speaker 1: Well, you know what they're trying to do. They're trying to warm us up for the fact that there's a maiden BONDI that's about to come out. I don't know if you had heard about this. Well, there's a Bond DI version that will be fully set in Australia with Australians all of that same age brackets. So this is supposed to be our little step into this space. I don't know. Were you excited then to see what we can do with Maide in Bonde?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, I think to your point, we sort of had a little taste of it with Bays and that it didn't it didn't really get the traction. They didn't pick it back up. So I mean, they might have another go with this. It'd be interesting to see if it gains anymore attention. But it's certainly not something that I would be overly excited for. But we're probably not the right people for it either.
Speaker 1: They'll probably sell that overseas, But I think that with Byron Bays, the real issue there was having some cast members in there that weren't being authentically themselves. I think because of the nature of that show semi scripting it, you have to be really that person to be controlled in that universe to make it relatable. And with Byron Bays, there was two or three people in there that were like fudging their Instagram followers. They're fudging their last style and that is really how you upset the apple card at a semi scripted show.
Speaker 2: Well, that's right, you're not going to get the buying and the people that I can imagine that watch those shows, they're really obsessed with those shows. So if you start showing any cracks in that sort of social media or just in your authenticity, I think there's going to be people that are just straight onto picking that up.
Speaker 1: I've never missed an episode of The Only Way as ESX TOI and I once asked you if you'd seen any of that, you know a few years ago, and we realized there'd been thirty seasons, so you were like, anybody got time for that? Like I cannot go and series, but it was And also I think we've out aged it as well, but I've thrived love. I loved that show, like Joey Essex, Jem mccollins. There was some iconic people that came out of that series that you know, was proof that this format worked at some point.
Speaker 2: Well, look, it has had its place and we saw that and when look, Jersey sure had a strong following here even though that was obviously a UK based show. But I would say that's the one that really had to cut through with Ozzy audiences. I think, you know, you start to have so many to choose from. I mean, you only have to look on these streaming networks now and particularly how you when you're looking at this sort of reality genre, and I mean, honestly, it is so overwhelming at times. There is so much to choose from. So I think when something has gone a long time like that, it's a bit easier to go. I'm just going to forget that one. I'll move on to something else.
Speaker 1: But you know, it just a touch on the pilot. You know, We Don't Cry in Sydney was the title of the first episode, which people can watch on how You you know, I struggled to really cannect with a lot of these people. Sam Prince, who obviously kind of has like top billing of the show, He's in a lot of it. He was the one with the blonde peroxide of hair, and then I found it it didn't seem that authentic. Even his relationship with his best he live who's Olivia Bentley who had the short blonde hair. I think yeah, but even their bestI relationship and the dynamics that were sort of coming out of him, I wasn't buying Sam at all, like actually hated him.
Speaker 2: Well, it's just a very strange format because it's sort of like it's semi scripted, and so you're like, what are the real moments? What are the bits that maybe they've been told to say, What are the fights that they've been told to kind of drag along? It just gets a little bit confusing. So I think that's where social media plays such a strong role with shows like that, because people want to really be able to go on there and be like, well, what's the true story? Are they still hanging out? Have they got photos together? This and that? Because it's hard sometimes to tell are we watching a home and away or are we watching a real show?
Speaker 1: Was there anyone that stood out to you? Because I felt like there was one girl, which was Laurence Stin's and she's her accent sounded like a mix between American, English and Australian, but like she's set up to do a lot of heavy lifting of this program.
Speaker 2: Yeah she was okay. I didn't mind Ruby the sort of short, the short girl with the long, dark hair, I think, and they sort of previewed that she's sort of got a storyline coming up with an Aussie sort of tall, dark and handsome hunks, so we'll see how that goes. But yeah, I mean, there are a lot of cast members, so you really have to, like me, coming into this show as a new viewer, you really have to try and get across a lot of different people and storylines, and obviously everyone's got these different histories and things like that, so it's a little bit much to sort of try and you get a full grasp of the dynamic in watching only one episode and.
Speaker 1: Then even still with Bell Sharp, you know, I found it. I struggled with her dragging her boyfriend as hard as she did over the fact that he was helping another girl at the airport, Like did you want her interaction with her boyfriend and think why are these two together?
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, I did not get that relationship at all. That seemed very strange. They didn't seem into each other at all, and I mean again, that's where I'm like, Okay, well, I haven't launched all the other seasons, so maybe there was a time where they were good, but certainly wasn't picking that up.
Speaker 1: Last night. I was like run to be It was.
Speaker 2: More attracted to probably to the airport luggage, but there was just no care.
Speaker 1: There was one guy I haven't even written his name down, but he turned up and I turned around and said to my partner, Bend, looks like God hasn't finished working on that one.
Speaker 2: Savage.
Speaker 1: It was so savage, but I just was like, you look like a turtle.
Speaker 2: I feel like it's yeah, I don't think it's just not It's just not anything that I'm going to be like super invested in. I'm like to watch it from time to time now that I've seen the first one, but I'm not going to be like hanging on week after week.
Speaker 1: I think we feel the exact same way about this show, so I look forward to never talking about it again.
Speaker 2: Never.
Speaker 1: So Boyce Swallow's universe is a bit of a different conversation because you and I often talking about reality. But I definitely put this on the agenda because of the popularity of this Netflix series. It has really hit a home run with this seven part series, which is based on the famous book written by Trent Dalton. The story follows a young boy growing up in the suburbs of nineteen eighties in Brisbane. He faces the harsh realities of life and the looming dangers that threaten his family. Had you read any of Trent's books?
Speaker 2: No, I hadn't. I'm not a huge reader of fiction, like I read a lot, but it's more like memoirs, biographies, true crime. So I haven't read the book at all and I didn't know too much about it. But you're certainly right. It is definitely the one that everyone is talking about.
Speaker 1: Have you ever found a movie of a show that's lived up to the book? Because I feel like that's never happened to me, where for the first time ever, Boyce swallows universe actually to me, lives up to that book.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I've heard people say that that have read the book. You're not the only one I've heard say that that They were like, oh, it was such a good book, it was really iconic. A little bit scared to watch the program just in case that we'd sort of ruined it full of them that everyone has said what they've done has absolutely nailed it. I mean, would you agree with that.
Speaker 1: I definitely think it's better. Yeah, I read the book, but what I enjoyed more about the series was there was a lot more hope, because when I read the book it was so bleak. I don't particularly like or enjoy reading about children that are being mistreated in any way. And there was a couple of Australian books that came out that same year that we saw children being treated about it or parents not really considering the children, and that isn't a fun zone for me to be. And I guess I should say in this series they're lightening it up with really showing us some amazing nostalgic eighties Australian sets and things, and then the music as well, like the eighties classic like Ossie rock for me, pub rock. I don't look like pub rock, but I'm pub rock. That's one of my favorite things to listen to is all of that sort of angsty man music that we had.
Speaker 2: Oh oh, it's so good. And I think, you know, just talking about the fact that they've lined it up, I mean, Felix Cameron what a breakout superstar. Like, I know he's been on other things before, but I mean I'm only one episode in and I was like, this kid has got it. The way he is bringing that character to life and everything that you start feeling for that character. The casting, they've really got that spot on across the board.
Speaker 1: That is some serious heavy lifting for.
Speaker 2: A young activate content.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so much screen time for these boys, and they don't slip up at all. There's not a frame where you're not believing them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly right. I mean having kids of that age, and then you know the older brother and his issue with the not talking and the trauma that he's obviously experienced. And then you've got the younger brother, Eli and he's just the center of this whole story. But it's such heavy content and the scenes, some of those scenes in that first episode are really confronting, and not for one second do you sort of snap out of that zone of believing his performance absolutely outstanding.
Speaker 1: Do you think our homerown scripted content in Australia is more honest and raw.
Speaker 2: I don't know whether it's more honest and raw, but I think it just obviously hits us in a different way. It lands in a different way I think when you're watching an Australian story as an Australian, and I think a largely to do with everything we just said, the music, the sets, the cars, the setting. I mean, you just really see your own little snippets of your own childhood or your own landscape of we've traveled around Australia or whatever in that and it is that mirror and I think that's why it sort of lands differently.
Speaker 1: Well, you watched the first episode last night, so like in that first episode we get to see the dynamics of Eli and he sort of discovers his relationship with Lyle. What did you think about the dynamics between Eli and that first episode and Lyle. Do you think he's happy that Lyle is with his mother and can sober up and do all of those things, or do you think he's still very untrusting.
Speaker 2: Well, it's just so it's so complex to watch, isn't it. And you're watching it from the viewpoint of a young boy who wants to have a father figure, who obviously wants to have a stable family life, but knowing that all this has gone down in the past, having the trauma of that even at such a young age and trying to look the other way, I guess to a certain degree. But now he's starting to get those concerns back that things might not be as rosy as what they should be. And you're just watching that all sort of play out and the complexities of that, And you know, I've always been lucky to be in a stable household, but I can imagine for a lot of people watching that that would resonate with a lot of viewers, because you know, everyone's got their own stories to tell. So maybe not so much with the drug sort of storyline, but just the instability and the complexity of those sort of fly relationship.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, they're telling that story really well. We're going to move on to what we cannot not talk about, Salt Lake City. We cannot not talk about Salt Lake City. I should saying full disclosure. You'd been telling me to watch this now for two years, I'd say, yep. And so I was talking to my friend Philip with an f who you'd know, and he said to me the day that he watched the finale of the season four, he said, I've just watched the best finale of a reality show. Ever, this is all with the revelation of reality von tis dropping. Then I've picked it up from there. So for people listening to this now, full disclosure, I've only jumped in at that point, but you have been a Salt Lake City officionado for quite some time.
Speaker 2: I got on ball with it as soon as it came out in the first series, particularly for that same reason that I was like, it's a new one and I can get involved from the start, because I feel like some of the older Housewives franchises, I sort of felt like I'd missed the boat a little bit, and I just said, I'll give this one to go. The first season was a bit neither here nor there. The second you could not believe it. This is when the FBI stormed a cast bus. They're about to go on a trip looking for gen Shah, who has since gone to prison for scanning elderly people out of thousands of dollars as part of this telemarketing scheme. So then and then last season she was on there, but she was completely pleading her innocence to all the ladies and they really backed her. And then she's since gone to prison for five years. So I mean the Erica Jane storyline with Tom Girardi. It's sort of had nothing on this so that got me really in and you really didn't think there could be any more drama than somebody going to prison from that show. And this new woman, Monica she came into. She was sort of an assistant for this genshar at one point. She has a very tumultuous relationship with her mother. There was a lot of drama. She's very very strong personality, and what happens in that final episode, I won't completely give it away for people that haven't watched it, but it is just next level. It's next level drama. I haven't seen necessarily a finale like that either. I'd agree with Philip, it was huge, it was explosive.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, this week they dropped part two of the three part reunion, which obviously people can watch on Heyu. I was surprised you can only watch Salt Lake City on Hayu. I thought it'd be on Binge as well, But I just thought with last week's drama with more, well, I was expecting more drama with this reality Vontisse bombshell coming out more in the second part, which we did get a little bit more of towards the end, but I wanted to know from you. Do you think that this new drama with Monica feels a little too constructed compared to the reality of what had happened with Genshaw, Like, obviously Genshaw was proven to be a criminal, went to jail, and then they probably struggled as producers to try and think about what they could do next. Do you feel like they may have jumped to the shark a little bit by getting a super fan like Monica to be on the show and have the rev up to the point where she reveals that she's the person behind trolling all these women.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was an interesting one because they sort of I've seen a lot of chat online and people are saying, you know, did the producers know about this? So was she planted in there and they were expecting this to come out or was this just kind of something that happened in the background and it's everything sort of lined up and they've managed to sort of expose her. So I don't really know the answer to that, but I will say, regardless of the FINALI and her being unveiled as this sort of cybertroll, that's been one of these people operating this troll account online. She was just an interesting character to watch anyway, because she's a single well now she's got four kids. She's got a very very volatile relationship with her own mother. She had some pretty strong friendships with women, but then she would just cut them down in the next episode and then they wouldn't be talking. So I think she still had a place on the season that was very strong. I don't know where they go now with her, Like, I don't know if maybe she's played all her cards. She's done.
Speaker 1: They did have a conversation about Gena from the Real Housewives of Melbour after the first series. It looked like, how can we bring her back? She's so super villainy, and then they were like, well maybe there was a lot of conversations about bringing in Gina's true friends in the real world to bring people on her side. I can't remember the name of the woman that comes into the reunion of the second half of part two, but I kind of feel like they're leaning into Monica having a bestie, which you will allow her to have a place in the next series.
Speaker 2: Well that might be how they how they do it, because certainly at this point in time, these women want nothing to do with her. The only thing that could kind of happen is sort of like an Erica Jane's redemption kind of a storyline. So this has all happened, she it's hit the fan, and then maybe it's about her rebuilding relationships with these women. Does she want to become a better person. That's where they take it. But at the moment, they've definitely left all the tea on this until a third part of the reunion, I mean rightly, so that's going to get everyone back, So it'll be interesting to see how it finishes up there.
Speaker 1: Do you think that there's six people controlling that account or do you think she's solely responsible for reality von Tease?
Speaker 2: No, I think there was other people. I think there was other people, Yeah, I do.
Speaker 1: Sound can't be kind of in control of something like that. You would be if you're not texting those details, if you're not taking these other women to task from behind your screen, you're having conversations with the other people creating that account, you're just as complicit.
Speaker 2: Oh, you're still controlling it, but I think there were other people that were also managing it, uploading content. There was even a cease and desist, like j Shah's camp knew this account, and there was a cease and desist that was sent to Monika, And I think there was three other people that were named on the actual legal development, so there was definitely more people that were involved. I mean, it doesn't diminish any of her responsibility in being part of that account, but it sort of seems like she just knew this would come out at some point, but there were no folks given. She says that she mainly used it to try and expose Gensha and what she was doing with this telemarketing. But I mean, she's not going to sit there and say, well, I said all these nasty things about you women. So I don't know where they go with her. But that last part of the reunion, I'm waiting for it.
Speaker 1: With Date of Breath, just before we finish on Salt Lake City, I wanted to ask you with that ring that was kind of being alluded to the fact that Monica could steal something like that, do you think that that's fair play? Like did you think that they genuinely believed that ring might have been stolen by Monica or is that just a bit of TV meilodrama.
Speaker 2: I mean, there was a lot of chatter about it online and no one shut it down. No one said that's not what we think, get back in your box, So they didn't necessarily completely diminish that idea. But I don't really understand how she would have stolen it either, Like when you sort of watch the episode play out, she lost it in like a bathroom, like a public bathroom, like it's come off her fingers somewhere. It could have been anywhere. I mean, this Monica reckon. She shoved her hand down a tampon box to like see if it had fallen in there, So I mean that's pretty graphic. I mean, how desperate are you to have a ring? A ring? But I'll be putting hands in tamp on boxes to get them.
Speaker 1: Well, we've got some classification that ring. You know. She did sort of explain more about why that ring was so sentimental to her.
Speaker 2: She didn't on the show. She didn't on the show, so she's done her homework before the reunion and thought, Okay, I need to I need to have.
Speaker 1: A full explanation as to why I'm in the tip.
Speaker 2: Correct, Yeah, and get a little bit more on the sympathy train there because she did look like a bit of a diva.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh my god. We needed, like we need to spin off on our what to Watch podcast with a Salt Lake City podcast because I kind of feel like we could even go back and just break down those episodes over the first totally.
Speaker 2: You'll love it. Just get him, just get amongst all of that before the next season and then we can do that.
Speaker 1: Still not as good as Beverly Hills though, right.
Speaker 2: No, no, But Beverly Hills has our heart. But I'll tell you what. It's in murky Water at the moment. They really need to figure out what they're doing there.
Speaker 1: Yeah for sure. Well, just finishing off the podcast today, I want to talk a little bit about what to watch stuff that is dropping this week. Doan Australia has a new series, a scripto drama called Prosper with Rebecca Gibney and Richard Roxborough. It's about Hillsong, which I think is a really juicy area to be unpacking and I don't know how they're getting away with it, because I would have thought Hillsong would have been quite protected, especially with our Australian government being so linked into it. But anyways, interesting, are you going to watch that one?
Speaker 2: I think I'll give it a watch definitely. I mean you can't go past such solid casting. I mean they're Australian icons.
Speaker 1: I told Ben that Rebecca Gibney was in it, and he ran away screaming. I was really shocked about that because I hear Rebecca Givney and I watched the show where I said to Ben last night, are you going to watch this? And he goes, who's in it? And I'm like, Rebecca Givney and he goes, oh no.
Speaker 2: No, I think it's juicy. I feel like I would be interested in watching that play out for sure, So I'll give that one a go.
Speaker 1: And you watched Network ten's reboot THEIRS summer series, Gladiators dropped this week. Did it work? Does it work in twenty twenty four to have Gladiato's back look it?
Speaker 2: Literally, I cannot believe they have just done everything exactly the same. They have completely lent into the nostalgia. The games are the same. They've got the Pyramids, they've got Powerball, they've got the Gauntlet, Like they're exactly the same. The format of the show is exactly the same, which is very basic, I guess compared to what we used to now. Having said that, I think families will quite enjoy it. I mean I enjoyed it for that nostalgia because I loved that show. But I was eleven or ten or something when I've watched it, so I'm not going to be watching it every week. But I think young kids, look, families have got a hard task trying to find something where they can all watch something. It's not heavy content, they's not swearing all that sort of stuff, So I think families will probably really enjoy it.
Speaker 1: Did you used to with your sister build the pyramid with your furniture in the lounge?
Speaker 2: Yes? And on the playground, I play Hangtuf on the monkey bars and then we had this kind of like limestone rock wall. So that was the travelator. I mean, it was all go. That was the moment. And my uncle went out with Rebel's sister. What she said, so I'd met Rebel and then she Barbara Kendall her name is, and she had signed a black and white photo for me, and I took that to school and I was like, I was the ship.
Speaker 1: Is the best thing that's happened on this podcast.
Speaker 2: It would have been my auntie. Imagine that.
Speaker 1: Imagine but whoever won though out if you and your sister, I can't imagine your sister ever won once. You would have completely destroyed her.
Speaker 2: No, she's hectic than me. Yeah, she nailed, but I would have gone in between presenting the show and then trying to be on the show. I probably hit my hands and try to be the referee like Mike Whitney as well.
Speaker 1: Oh. If anyone can play all of those roles in one go, it is you. And the last thing that's coming out this week is on Sunday Night. ABC is very excited about the third season of Total Control, which has Deborah Mailman Rachel Griffiths. Both of these women are back. They're so iconic in these roles. Rachel Griffiths is obviously playing a little bit of Julia Gillard and Deborah Mailman is just so fantastic in this story. Have you watched series one or two?
Speaker 2: I haven't, so I'm going to binge watch the whole lot. But definitely solid casting once again, so they're not saying yes to shitty script so I think anyone anything with them in it. And debrah Man went as well in voice Soolo's Universe. Solid performance by.
Speaker 1: Her, so good in that you know what. Originally a bit of trivia. Total Total Control was originally called Black Bitch, and they released a trailer with it called Black Bitch and did all the promo work, and the feedback was so polarizing that they changed it to Total Control. And that's an interesting time, Like, when did they ever think that that was going to fly?
Speaker 2: Yeah, in this landscape government, I.
Speaker 1: Would have to say to Dre if came to lunches and said, I've been watching Black Bitch on the weekend.
Speaker 2: Oh, it just would not get across the line. No, we'll watch Total Control. Let's let's commit to that.
Speaker 1: Alana, I just want to say thank you so much for being my virgin first episode of What to Watch?
Speaker 2: Have done Lunch