Speaker 1: Gooday, welcome to the tennis for another epic adventure through the land of on court and off. Forty three days left until the AO strap in for that, but before we get to that, records tumble interin sinner salutes, but Alcoraz escapes is number one. Captain Pratt delivers, Australia secures a spot and the BJK Cup qualifieres between twenty six and Demon Hunter Alex promises even more in twenty twenty six. That's all ahead with me and more joining me is always It's Brice Stewart. Welcome back, Brie Hi.
Speaker 2: No, welcome back to you.
Speaker 3: We had a brilliant Oh yeah, I wasn't here last night, low volume, balanced show last week. Yeah, and sitting here, I'm like, eh, hey is vibrating through my ear?
Speaker 1: That's good. Let's get loud on the pod. Oh jeez, okay, cool, well, calm down and across the desk. After a stellar weekend at the BJK Cup down south and Tazzy, it's Captain Pratt herself and Jamie Fallis welcome gang.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah. What what a week actually, and especially the weekend. So I got back on Monday, I got to say and I was exhausted. I was absolutely exhausted. Yeah. So now it was a terrific week and we as a team so happy to be through. And I'm so proud of the girls.
Speaker 2: They did great.
Speaker 4: Tell us about the weather, Well, Tasimani is great except for the weather, but no, it was extraordinary actually because we were thinking that we wouldn't get any practice in, like the forecast was not good and it turned out that we had amazing practice all week and then we actually got to the Friday, and then of course it was interrupted with rain and three four hours off court and then the same on Sunday. So other than the weather, you pulled through.
Speaker 2: It was Australia's prettiest tennis club.
Speaker 3: Reallyiful, but it's beautiful.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it was great to see Jamie there as well. Yeah, the girls really enjoyed it and we all reconnected, so I was fab.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was good and what were you up to, Jermy?
Speaker 6: I was very lucky to follow the media team during the couple of days that I was there, which was really awesome, and enjoyed that so much. And watching the girls play from the side. It's actually quite stressful watching from the side when you can't actually control what they're doing, so my anxiety was high. I tried to keep the keep out of minimum. But it was a really cool weegan. You enjoyed it a lot.
Speaker 1: Should we jump straight into what's caught your eye?
Speaker 2: Yes, let's do it?
Speaker 1: Love that button push, but I'm sure it was I'll start how about it kick us off so it.
Speaker 2: Would be nice.
Speaker 1: But some big news which everyone knows, but let's really dive into it. Sinner wins ATP Finals, leaving al Karez not the dust because he's still year number one. But it was pretty epic finalization that we think. And I'm going to end this little vanter with an amazing mathematical.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm trying to see where you're going here.
Speaker 1: Well anyway, yeah, an I did defeat Carl sal Karez in seven six seventy five, defended his twenty twenty four title. He's the first player this century to win consecutive ATP final titles without dropping a single set.
Speaker 5: That's crazy, twenty five years pretty you know.
Speaker 3: We talked about this on the pod last week and Sam Stowzer and danim Hoff both thought that our Christ would win, but Simon Ray and I went for Sinner right once again, I'm the winner.
Speaker 1: We just do The rule is just do what Simon says.
Speaker 2: Totally, and I chose on color of hair.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good fellow.
Speaker 2: So Redheads win.
Speaker 1: Fair enough, fair enough. But he took home five point zero seven million dollars in prize money, which is the highest payout in ATP Finals history. So lots of big bucks on the line these days.
Speaker 4: In celebrations are going to be pretty good.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, absolutely, What do you do think about the ATP finals? Rollout?
Speaker 4: Listen? I mean what I mean again? What a final? Right? You know, Sinner and our Karaz. Any time they get through the drawers and then meet in the final, you know, it's a it's a tantalizing matchup. So yeah, just on the prize money piece, the women's prize money is ws more, yeah than the ATVP. So that's go girls, that's cool.
Speaker 1: But the thing that another element of this eye catch that caught my eye again was so head to head, ourgraz is up ten six. Okay, However, through a twist of mathematical magic, they both were sitting on one thy, six hundred and fifty one points apiece.
Speaker 5: I saw that. That's crazy.
Speaker 3: I didn't believe whether the math was mathing. So I made the producers do the math. Yeah, and it's true.
Speaker 1: Like manual, there were aba kisses out yeah, but no chat chapt How can you check this form? He was out there.
Speaker 2: Coins yeah, yeah, he's good.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I just thought it was quite interesting. Yeah, happens all the time.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, we talk about matches being one or lost one point or two points here or there. It makes sense, but that's that's unbelievable. Yeah, well done, reduces.
Speaker 1: Not very good.
Speaker 3: But also like Sinner is now sitting in a very interesting kind of group.
Speaker 2: With Roger Federer Novak Djokovic.
Speaker 3: So Sinner's had three appearances, two titles, has a fifteen to two record and ten consecutive wins. Roger Federer eighteen appearances, six titles, fifty nine to seventeen record, twelve consecutive wins. Djokovic seventeen appearances, seven titles, fifteen nine eighteen record, fifteen consecutive wins.
Speaker 1: Are you saying that Sinner's on the path to goat status.
Speaker 2: Well, it would appear.
Speaker 1: So I think I think Sinner is better than Jokovic.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, no, no, Like on Sinner again, What is so exciting about Sinner is I still feel like he has an untouched part of the court that he's not utilizing as much as he could. Is the transition and moving forward. I mean, there's no question from a serving perspective now where he's done the work on that, he's fine. You in that with Darren Kyle off the ground, you know, there's not another player that hits the ball as big as him. He's improved his movement and so for me, it's the fore court. If he starts to transition a little bit more beaulty skills, then you know, because players are going to keep asking the question. But the fact that he's still got growth within his game and he's already achieved what he's achieved. If he can stay healthy enough like the top guys did, the Federers and the Jokoviches, then you know he is on a pathway to potentially be up there with the with the goats.
Speaker 1: Well, that's a really good point because if he's a master of what he does, but there's still a whole bit of real estate that is underutilized by him. If he can expand that and perfect it, he's going to be a weapon. That's unstoppable, but maybe it's just because he's so lanky, Like if he gets close to that, Natty might get caught like a fish.
Speaker 4: Look at the coverage, he's like mister octable.
Speaker 1: Perfect And another little thing, little tidbit here. So, Sarah al kraz this is the first to contest three Grand Slam finals and the ATP Finals final in the same season. Obviously we missed out because of no back. It did a little dipsy do. But yeah, so they've played three Great Grand Slam finals in the finals of the ATP Final in the same season. And we've actually got a little clip of one sinner talking about Carlos.
Speaker 7: You are definitely a player I look up to, you know, a lot of motivation. I need this, you know, every practice session with a with a big, big purpose. And I'm we're all very happy. I'm the whole fans here are very happy to see you play. You're the most energetic and player on tour.
Speaker 4: So keep going.
Speaker 1: I know there's any doubt that Carlos is going to keep going. Maybe not to the same barber, but he's going to keep going.
Speaker 5: Did they warm up together? Did you see that for the final practice?
Speaker 3: It's well I think they really like and respect each other, which I one really nice.
Speaker 4: Ye.
Speaker 1: Well, at the end of the day, the colleagues that kind of work together, but their rivals but.
Speaker 5: Not healthy competition.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, and we're all better for it, but not for the blokes. Let's get over to the world of women's tennis. Pratty, what caught your eye? I've got a hunch.
Speaker 4: I've got to say every baj Ok carp there is a level of some type of drama, like something happens, whether it be you know, player coming in with you know a little bit of an injury, or you know, someone doesn't get along with someone. Sometimes that does happen. So there's always something, there's always something. I have to say. This tie in Hobart, there was nothing, no, there was no no drama. I mean the I mean, we have an amazing support team where you know, the players have everything they could ever ask for that week, which is that's what it's about, because we want to have them performing well on the weekend. But we just enjoyed the delights of Hobart. We went to great restaurants, the food was amazing. We did the staff did, the players didn't. We had to try a little bit of the Tasmanian Wife. So that went over well. That went over well, and then to see the performances on the weekend, you know, I'm super I obviously work with Kim Berrell throughout the year and to see her get the win, and it was tough. It was a tough win. It wasn't easy. So she got the win there and maya wow. But I mean after that, after she won and later on into the night, I just kept saying to her, ridiculous, ridiculous that you actually won that match, because yeah, it was not looking good at all.
Speaker 2: She did.
Speaker 4: She did. And a bit of an insight you know that people don't see is you know, there was the rain delay. It was she was down six to one all and she came into the clubhouse and you know, I was obviously on the side of the court, and she was out of it. She was out of it. I said to it five too, I said, hey, feeling she goes, I can't think, I can't think. I actually don't even know what I'm doing or trying to do. I'm like, okay, well let's try and keep it simple. And we spoke about that. But anyway, went inside and Kim Berrell comes up to her and go, you know, my, can I just give you a hug, and gave my hug. Maya broke down in tears and then goes, it's not Stormy, and Kim goes, it's okay, It's okay. Stormy and Ellen have got it. It's a team. Doesn't matter if you win, you lose, even if you lose doesn't matter because Stormy and Ellen have got it. And so I just think that that release of emotion, she just felt so much weight on his shoulders. She let it all out. And then we had the sort of two three hours there and she chilled out and had some fun, and when she came back out on court, she was much better than she was in the in the in the first set, but then to pull that out from match point down and then just steam roll third set and win it for us was amazing.
Speaker 1: She's only nineteen. Do you see that she's matured a lot in the last few months. Maybe he I.
Speaker 4: Wouldn't say it's some maturity. I feel like it's she's gained so many experiences, like she's just bride eyed, bushy tail. This is all amazing. I can't believe I'm here, I actually still feel like she's in that stage and even BJK Cup it was a bit like that, like from the beginning of the week, which we don't normally do. We actually said, Maya, you are clearly our number one player for Australia. You are playing on the weekend and you're our leader here so to speak. And she was really taken back by that. So there are a number of conversations we had Stormy go and speak to her about, you know, the role that she's playing now and what comes with being the number one Australian and so I just think she's accumulating experiences still and the maturity is going to come from having you know, doing it second time, yea third time over, everything is still first time for.
Speaker 6: Her and they're just lessons along the way that show through from and gain that experience.
Speaker 5: And I think that's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 3: I think we've got a clip or an image that she went and got her tattoo, So the number fifty eight.
Speaker 4: See another first first tattoo. Yeah, that was a long time in the making, let me tell you, because you know, her parents were not happy that she was going she was going to get one at the at Roland Garross because they offer tattoo service at rolland Garris and she wasn't allowed. So the fact that she actually got it across the line and that's the first thing she did when she got back on Tuesday, is.
Speaker 2: It located elbow her elbow?
Speaker 4: Yeah, inside of her own like that. Yeah, Alen Perez has got one there in the same spot actually, So I.
Speaker 1: Just told her parents Pratty made me do it.
Speaker 4: Well, they've all said Pratty's next. So we'll see if a number thirty gets somewhere in the next twelve months.
Speaker 3: And how hard was it for you to choose the team and the matchups and like, because you've got.
Speaker 1: To be making some pretty fast, hard decisions quickly too.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I think the toughest decision was choosing the team in the first place, the team that's actually going to go to Hobart. Once you get past that, you know you've got, you've got, And it's about seeing who what form they're in, where they're at, you know, emotionally mentally. So the second spot, which we spoke to the players, is up for grabs, right Mie I had number one and second spot was between Tali Gibson and Kim Kim Byrell, Storm and Ellen were of course our doubles team. They were a Locke and so yeah, we saw the first couple of practices from Kim. Kim had just come off finals of Chennai as well, so we knew she was in good form. Talia also had been winning matches, and I got to say, I'm super impressed with Talia Gibson. I like, she was terrific during the week and I think she's going to have a breakout over the next twelve months. I was really impressed, Like she's got she's got a big game, massive serve, edible backhand, like she's got a well and I spoke to her about it. I said, you know, just for reference here for me, you've got a top ten backhand in the world, not even.
Speaker 1: Not even a question, but I mean that means that's not from any that's not from me or you, that's from Praamy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it'd been like Jamie Follis's back then today Jamie's got a very good backhandsebumps.
Speaker 5: Yep, she told me a couple times before.
Speaker 1: Thanks, But it's gotta be thinking, like you're talking about the team being you know, more cohesive than it ever has been. And you know there was no dramas on that side. A sorry from the weather. So who was the problem?
Speaker 4: Was it? Sam Stoze definitely not a Sam Stoser. I mean it's never the.
Speaker 2: Individuals pushing for the team it is.
Speaker 4: It is more about how they're coming into the type.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah like that.
Speaker 4: It's it's just it's actually things that have happened previously and then how they're coming in based on and and to be honest, like and Sam and I spoke, so it was great to have Sam down, Oh yeah, excited with the new barb and the family, so that was lovely. But yeah, I just think it makes such a difference also to to have five healthy players coming into the tie. That's what made it easy.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 4: I've referenced that quite a few times as well. So good on our girls for being a hundred.
Speaker 5: So healthy and sorry, just a question.
Speaker 6: So you've been coached for the last couple of times, the last couple of years and then that transitioned to be a coach. Did Mol or Sam give you any advice or did you go in and ask for any advice pre tie putting on the captain? Yeah, or did they kind of let you go a little bit.
Speaker 4: I didn't ask for any advice because I felt like I've been around long enough and you know, as coach, I've always been one hundred percent supporter of the captain because I believe that's the role. You're just there to support the captain and obviously the players through the captain. And so I had a couple of little things that I felt like I wanted to introduce and it's and it's just more for me, a little bit overarching, bringing the team in more like for example, we did we don't normally do it, but we you know how we did the little team huddle out on the court. I wanted all of us together before going out to do a whole team huddle. So we did the whole team huddle, staff and the players all together before we went out, and it was really nice. And I did a bit of a team Rara pep talk as well each time.
Speaker 2: So that was currying football.
Speaker 4: That was football. Yeah, But Marley introduced the little team huddles as captain out on the court, and I thought, let's, you know, let's broaden that a little bit more and then you know, just catching up with staff at the end of the day, like there was a real commitment. Let's all, you know, we'd make a time and as a staff we would review the day, speak about the next day. And I just think that just helped give clarity to everyone as well. I mean we do it to players, we just you know, as a staff. I thought that was important. So that was really cool.
Speaker 1: That just speaks the team is not just the players. It is a big machine making up the JK team. Yeah no, but congratulations.
Speaker 4: Against Yeah, super honor, super privilege. I'm happy that, you know, Ta and Sam you know, gave me the reins for one tie and yeah, I think five and is going to be hard.
Speaker 1: Ever, Yeah, Sammy might just leave that with you. Well. Speaking of team tennis, on the other side of the fence with the Davis Cup about halfway through, Carlos Alcarez has just withdrawn from Team Spain because of an injury. Hopefully he's back sometime in December. Leading into the summer of tennis down under here. But we've got Italy has defeated Austria, Belgium took down France and in the next quarter finals we've got Spain and Chechire and Argentina and Germany. It's a bit of activity over there in the Davis Cup Land.
Speaker 3: Yea, interesting to see what happens. And good luck to our cras. Hopefully you're just having a bit of a rest, so.
Speaker 1: Put the foot up.
Speaker 2: We'll see avoid anything worse.
Speaker 5: Doesn't he have the exhibition match coming up?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 1: You always, He'll make that work. We got bills, y'all. Now we've got a little tooth bree Jamie take us through the United Cup.
Speaker 3: Well, we thought while we were on the topic of country group playing tennis, to talk about the ultimate like event that actually brings the men and women together by the rugby sevens with equal prize money played across Sydney and Perth. The United Cup down under here in Australia. The United Cups tennis. You're really annoying anyway, it's one of my favorite events here to work. Have the draw, didn't we Yes, we did have the draw.
Speaker 2: Welcome back.
Speaker 3: We just thank you for joining us here in Sydney just on Monday, and we have some really great teams across Perth and Sydney.
Speaker 2: Jamie's going to take it away.
Speaker 3: But I love this event because I just love to see the patriotism and the men and the women coming together.
Speaker 2: Anyway, that's my speel.
Speaker 1: And the other thing, jump in is the best thing about United Cup is because Australia is such a melting pot of people that come from all over the world. Multicultural, yes, like we have fans like true fandoms and patriotism of all of.
Speaker 2: Them, overcome dressed uff the colors. It's really and I really love it.
Speaker 1: Shut up, Jamie, talkus three person.
Speaker 6: Well, I think United Cup is one of my favorite tournaments as well, and the world and the world. And is it forty three days to AO or forty three days till the summer of tennis start thirty three three days days till United Cup, which is very exciting, stressful for you guys, but enjoyable for us.
Speaker 5: But I'll take you serious Perth.
Speaker 6: So in Group A we have you're say, Spain and Argentina. Group C we have Italy, France and Switzerland. And Group E we have Great Britain, Greece and Japan. So some exciting matches going on there. And we start our season Friday, second of January. Team greecee first Team Japan will kick us off in Perth, which is exciting. And then I'll just go through some of the other teams. Great Britain plays Japan, Italy will play Switzerland on Sunday fourth of January. Team USA will play Spain on the Monday fifth of January, and then the night session we have Great Britain and Tim Greese going head to head, which is very exciting. So yeah, it's a great group of men and women competing.
Speaker 1: We have golf Fritz Paulini, Oh my god, my man stands back.
Speaker 6: Stands back, really cool, and ben Chicch Melinda.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The match out for me there is Italy and Switzerland January fourth. I think you mentioned Jamie. That'll be a really interesting one because ben Chicch is in form, Paulini obviously top ten player, and the younger bowl the old man's hi. I that's the one to watch for me.
Speaker 1: Yea, well, that's that's an interesting thing about the United Cup. I'm like a lot of tennis events, buy a ticket and have a pretty good idea who are you going to see and that that's the country.
Speaker 3: I think it's yeah, and that's part of the players and normally because the goal is to get the top players from each country that's how they are able to qualify again, qualify to get in like Great Britain, Jack Draper and Radakanu.
Speaker 2: That's not going to be a bad day at the tennis, is it.
Speaker 3: It's going to be a good one Britain, like Greece Sissa Pass and Sakari Japan Osaka with Mochi Zuki.
Speaker 1: Like, it's just it's incredible, it's amazing. What about Sydney, Oh, Sydney, I'm really excited.
Speaker 4: Are you going to Sydney?
Speaker 2: Group No.
Speaker 3: I will be going for a couple of days to work and support the team, but also because it's my favorite.
Speaker 2: But what have we got?
Speaker 3: We've got Group B, We've got Canada, Belgium, China.
Speaker 1: So you've got Felix, my man Felix.
Speaker 3: Yeah, with Victoria and Boco, Belgium, Mertens and Zizi Bergiz. I got to say we met Zziers at Davis Cup this year. Brilliant, brilliant person, great interview, great human.
Speaker 5: Played really well at Davis Cups.
Speaker 3: He was so good he is now. Yeah, China, We've got Jiang ji Zen and lind Zu. Really happy about getting China qualified as well, because we have a lot of audience that comes.
Speaker 2: For that country, So that's exciting.
Speaker 3: Okay, Australia led by Alex Demenol and Debutton my joint. Then we have Chekhia with Menziic and Kratchikova, and Norway we've got Caspar Rude coming back again.
Speaker 2: I think this would be his third or fourth year.
Speaker 3: And then with Malin Helgo, Melena Helga, brilliant, brilliant, One more group, one more group group f Germany Zverev back again as well and even which we're loving at the moment. And then we've got Poland, two time finalists led by IgA and hub Hurt Cats, and then also the Netherlands led by Greek Sport and Suzanne Lemons.
Speaker 1: I mean, Poland's got to be stinging for a win after that.
Speaker 3: I think that's why the I think that's why Iiger and QB keep coming back.
Speaker 2: Wayne, will we get this in the back.
Speaker 3: And they also have a little they have a mascot which is called Flammy, the flamingo that they have every year that we blow up.
Speaker 2: And bring in.
Speaker 1: So that's actually the national bird of Poland, Flamingo.
Speaker 6: But do you know what's really exciting about this year's United Cup is the bunch of players that, especially more on the women's side.
Speaker 5: They're quite young.
Speaker 6: It's like I haven't seen it's like the next age group of girls that are coming up in Boco Liz Mayer. So that's kind of exciting for them to be a little bit in the spotlight as well.
Speaker 3: So, Praddy, you have been the coach in the past for quite a few of our United Cup Australia teams.
Speaker 2: What do you think of the lineup that we've got this year.
Speaker 4: Oh, listen, I think we've got a terrific team. I'm super excited. So I'm penciled in to go. I've just got to get that ticked off.
Speaker 6: So can we had Storm as well to that lists on the list double the list for doubles.
Speaker 4: Yep and JP Smith, So we're going to have of course, you know, if it's one one the captain sort of decides, which we assume will most likely be late, so the captain will decide. So yeah, we you know, Alex stepped in last year in the deciding mixed but yeah, great to have stormback. And I mean I'm just super super happy that Alex is playing again.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's.
Speaker 4: Sydney is it's his court, it's his hometown. Yeah, I mean, we had a great time last year. It was really fab so I'm looking forward to it again. And you're right, it's it's so unique to have them men and the women together and a team's competition.
Speaker 3: Even when they sit on in the team zone on the court, like and you see them.
Speaker 2: Like laughing together and clapping together and this pumpy just I just really like it. I love that.
Speaker 3: Whole team aspect. Great to have the men and women together and the mixed doubles.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Brient, it's going to be quite a spectacle or reckon. Sydney and Perth are both going to turnout in droves for this.
Speaker 2: Well, yes, the ticket sales would indicate.
Speaker 3: So, so please make sure if you are wanting to quick join us in Sydney end or Perth. If you'd like to do both, please purchase because they are selling fast.
Speaker 1: Perfect Christmas present.
Speaker 2: Just throwing it out there, but no better way to spend.
Speaker 6: Schedule is out online for the first eight days, so you can thank you.
Speaker 1: Tickets kicking in there.
Speaker 3: But while we're in a similar vein, I just wanted to mention what's happening at Brisbane because also.
Speaker 1: Summer of tennis, So Cup, what's during an during.
Speaker 2: The United Cup.
Speaker 3: We also have Brisbane International Choice. We are actually spoiled for choice. It's really hard to choose what to watch. But we have just announced that Madison Keys and Danil Medvedev will be joining us in Brisbane, which is really great.
Speaker 1: That's amazing. See you've got the reigning Australian Open Women's champion, yes, and former world number one Daniel Medvedev cashing it out in Bristy.
Speaker 3: And Medvedev has just had an interesting beginning to his year obviously, and he's kind of turned it around at this last moment, so I think he will be coming back to Brisbane with a lot of retribution, seeking it to turn around how his years started last year.
Speaker 1: I think he still twenty shitt Camery Smith, we'll see if if the check clears.
Speaker 3: Can you see Medvedev recapturing his career best form in twenty twenty six?
Speaker 2: Pratty or Jamie Well.
Speaker 4: I always think a player who's been struggling and then they reintroduce a new coach. I believe it's Thomas Johansson's working with him. So signs are good, Signs are good. He turned around the back end of the year. But then equally, you go through a honeymoon period with a coach, so it's something to sort of keep keep an eye on to see whether it actually sticks. So yeah, I mean, listen, he's just fun to watch, right, you know, to see him get get sort of through the drawer. You know, his character, it's.
Speaker 2: Kind of passion.
Speaker 4: He has to evolve. I'm going to make a call. He's got to evolve. You know, we're talking about sinner and he's got room for growth and Alcoraz and everyone. So I think he has to find something a little bit different. So I'll be interesting to see what him and Thomas put together in the preseason.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's more of an emotional evolution and not calling umpires small cats.
Speaker 2: I do still like that call.
Speaker 3: It's one of my favorite moments.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're a small Cat's.
Speaker 2: Meaning is pussy.
Speaker 1: He was calling it a pussy, but he was trying to do it in a broadcast friendly way. But in the podcast, as she went short, all right, well, no very exciting stuff summer of tennis, and we've just sort of scratched the service there. You've also got adelaide. We're going back to Hobart for the Hobart International and then there's the big show, the Australian Open. But we've got plenty of time coming up in a few weeks to cover that. But stick around. We're gonna have a quick break. I'm gonna refillm my water with whatever's in the cup. Come on back for more tennis with us on the tennis and Bree's got a new top five for us a second welcome back to the tennis. We've got a few other news stories that we're gonna whizz through. First up, the Australian Tennis Awards, the newcre Medal coming up next month in December.
Speaker 3: It's our Oscars, Yeah, the Oscars for Australian Tennis.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But it's a really great event because it goes not just for the elite players but also more local focus as well. So that's really good and for the potentially his fourth newcre Medal, Alex Demono has been nominated for the six times, so that's pretty exciting. He's the first Australian in twenty one years to make the final four at the ATP Finals. Last up it was of course old mate Layton in two thousand and four and Alex is a very strong attender for his fourth nu Can medal. Two ATP titles this year, a mass Is one thousand final and a breakthrough ATP finals run so pretty specky, pretty good.
Speaker 3: Should we have a bit of a clip of him talking about his loss to Sinner before we talk about some of the other nominees.
Speaker 9: Great, even though a lot of people may not think so I know how to beat him, It's just not that easy to do, right. You've got to hit the ball very hard, very flat, very deep and very close to the light for me to have genuine chances. I need to serve so well throughout the whole match, and myse'f dropped a little bit and could have been better.
Speaker 3: Do you think Sinna would be very worried about Alex Damenol and the way he plays.
Speaker 4: Oh, I think he would sort of have Alex in his radars as someone that he Alex plays very different to other players, you know, incredibly flat, so he does have, I guess, a point of difference compared to the players he normally plays against. But yeah, I think what we heard from Yannick before was he just looks at Alcoraz and that's that's the benchmark I need to stay in front of.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because of the hair, exactly because of the hair, nothing else. So Pratty and Jamie. Which other nominees have impressed you this season?
Speaker 1: Let's do a quick whiz through who we got. So we've got Alex Deveno as we just mentioned. I've also got my joint Adam Walton, Kim Beryl Twist and school Kate and Priscilla hon all up for the big One.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think it's quite exciting in terms of all those nominees. Everyone's had a career high which is really cool, and especially going into an event like this just to be celebrated and to be able to celebrate tennis. But I think for me, I'm gonna go the girls and go Maya. I think she's had an incredible year and I think she deserves the recognition as well.
Speaker 5: Great hair color, great grey hair color. It was actually really cool.
Speaker 6: I'm not sure if you saw the two little girls, the two twins that.
Speaker 5: Came to Hope.
Speaker 2: I did.
Speaker 5: I saw them.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So they were there every day supporting Maya. They had their little go Maya. She had the glasses as well, which was really cool.
Speaker 4: So they're supporting my actually said there should be a mini Meyer competition at the AO is quite and these two girls are sweat Amie Myers, you can be in agree.
Speaker 2: I will get the glasses again Star Love Island where them?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Are you watching it?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 4: But anyway, doesn't want spoilers That night that on the new co metal is you know, alongside what you're saying there they're Jamie. It was actually just yesterday where if we if we roll the if we roll the clock back two years ago, Maya has jumped an incredible six hundred holy crap ranking spots, and even this year she's jumped seventy over seventy ranking spots in order in order. Now she's currently thirty two in the world, so it'd be really interesting. I guess how they look at this newkes is it. You know, if you look at purely results, Alex Demona right, purely results. However, if you look at improvement, that's sort of a different story, because Alex finished the year six in the world, or got to six in the world last year, and he's six against which is amazing. But you know, talking about the other nominees again, little Bias, kim Byrell, you know, she reached a career hive have sixty in the world earlier in the year, and fab for Prihon who qualified it at Wimbledon and the US Open, and she made the third round the US Open. Had some injuries at the back end this year unfortunately, because I think she would have cemented herself inside the top hundred.
Speaker 6: So and even a mention to Adam and Tristan who had good solid years throughout the year, and I know Tristan was borderline one hundred and then got himself in and just to.
Speaker 1: Have that breakthrough prey high number ninety five.
Speaker 6: And now intermandur of Ao and I think Maya will now be seated, which.
Speaker 1: Is I mean, there's a lot of headlines here that are making me Yeah, I mean I did suggest Maya and everyone kind of went maybe's changed.
Speaker 2: I just think it will be a difficult choice.
Speaker 5: Two winners.
Speaker 1: We have had joint winners.
Speaker 3: I think Dylan and Ash were joint when you so you guys will be there right, yeah, dress away, I don't get to dress up.
Speaker 4: I'm actually overseas unfortunately. The night of the Night of Nights.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm sure if it is Maya or one of the other girls there will be in very rapid race to have a FaceTime call with Pratty the medal. So you can medal, do not miss it. It will be all over the news. But what else is happening? Speaking of Foreman you can medal winners?
Speaker 2: Layton Hewittt, can I talk about it just to lead in?
Speaker 1: He's got real people to Layton Hewittt has gone on a cruise in Sydney. What I don't know.
Speaker 5: I thought for a bit who was actually on a grouse?
Speaker 3: Got a world card into our New South Wales Open, played doubles with his son.
Speaker 4: Cruise.
Speaker 1: Oh, with his son cruise, not a sun cruise. Oh, Bree, you got to work with me. It's called Banta.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So the former world number one came out of retirement to partner with his sixteen year old son, who is currently ranked number seven hundred and fifty nine atp Singles rankings.
Speaker 2: Now, I did watch this.
Speaker 1: Match last night, I pick five hour battle.
Speaker 3: I loved Leighton Hewett when I was younger, and it was just so nice to see him on the court again and playing a cruise. They got it in two sets in forty seven minutes, so it was a very quick match. I just kept thinking about Hayden and PAVELI, two other young assies on the rise.
Speaker 2: Imagine coming out and going, oh, bloody hell, why are you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, like obviously they knew they were going to be playing Layton Hewett, but I just saw them at times giggling because it's like, well, what are you going to do?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's quite uncomfortable. And I had this conversation with my sister and like, what it kind of feels like it's weird. It's weird, Like it's quite weird. And I kind of remember going back to mixed doubles when I played against Sam. I'm like, oh my god, it's Sam. But I'm like, no, I don't look at her like you're not trying to be friends, but.
Speaker 1: To be stressful enough having Layton commentate your match, let alone your opponent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's great for the sports all across the headlines today because I challenge open.
Speaker 1: The map, which would have kind of come and gone without much fanfare.
Speaker 5: That happened pretty come back, yeah, or too much nepotism.
Speaker 4: In sports, No, I think I mean it's special, it's really special. And you know, Lighton has been obviously very invested in Cruiser's career and it's a special moment and I just can't wait to see what decision Craig makes whether or not to give them a long card in this straight open because I think that's coming.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I haven't even thought of that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's the first thing that can be big.
Speaker 4: That's can be big. I'm calling it now. I'm calling it now.
Speaker 2: I like it really cute.
Speaker 4: We know where breib.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've been down watching later. But imagine having to high five your dad that much.
Speaker 1: I reckon they would high five all the time I was watching, but just in their day to day life and then.
Speaker 3: And then at the end, which I found really interesting, clash of the generations, Layden finishes and there were some people in the stadium watching. Laden goes and signs autographs, cruises, sitting on the the seats on the side on his phone.
Speaker 2: It's just a maturity thing.
Speaker 3: And you know, maybe people did want Layton's and maybe not cruises yet because they're not yet. But there were young girls they looked like they wanted cruises. But he was kind of like, I was sorry, I'm just going to apply to some messages.
Speaker 1: Can stay on Instagram?
Speaker 2: Well, he can otherwise just sa Tan would kick him off.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly. But one other thing, what was either tennis or acting? So you know he could have been on Home and Away. Instead he decided to play the new South Wales Open.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 1: Okay, what did Laighton? Also? Didn't he get put into Hall of Fame?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 3: We got inducted to the Sports Australia Hall of Fame on Monday night.
Speaker 1: Speaking of Halls of Famer, there's another one little thing called the International Tennis Hall of Fame. And after a stellar career, one of the greats, if not the greatest, sorry Novak fans, Roger Fetner, finally eligible and of course he's been put in straight away. Roger Feedder to be inducted into the International Tennis Hall of Fame in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: That's amazing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what's exciting.
Speaker 3: What would something like this feel for Federer? Like, how would this make him feel?
Speaker 4: I think he'd be an honor for him. You would be feeling like it's an honor. Yeah, he's been someone I think that's always recognized, respected, appreciated the past and the fact that almost in a way he is becoming the past. So I can't wait to see each person. The recipient gets to choose who would like to speak before being before he's introduced. I'm dying to know who he's going to have come up and speak. I'm not sure. I mean, I think surely Raffer will be there. I mean, listen, he can have as many people as he likes. It's Roger, So yeah, I'm really curious who it's special. It's really special, you know, the especially on the grass, Rhode Island, all all of that. Certainly Roger will certainly appreciate.
Speaker 1: I mean, with that kind of power though, go rogue like I'd be like Obama.
Speaker 4: Wild I listen. Also to mention Mary Carillo is being inducted as well, who's been a major contributor broadcaster for me many years and are really a pioneer for women in broadcasting.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, so well done, Mary, Yeah, well done.
Speaker 1: Congratulations. No, well, that's going to be very exciting next year at the Hall of Fame Awards. Now, Bri, I'm going to change my button landscape here because I've had it on good authority for the producers. You have a top five for us to take us out.
Speaker 3: So the major events for the w T are done and dusted for the year.
Speaker 2: And for a lot of players, they turn their eyes of to where do I.
Speaker 1: Go relax for They finally get a little cunning.
Speaker 3: For the small window of time they get off. How much time is it they get off?
Speaker 4: Like quarter five weeks?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, not enough when you're having.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Anyway, so they go, they go have a bit of an R and M. So I want to talk about the top five players and where they went this year or where they are currently. I've got some visual stimulus.
Speaker 2: Number five is okay, this is okay?
Speaker 1: What have we got here?
Speaker 2: She's in the Maldives.
Speaker 1: Baglioni, Maldives, luxury all inclusive resort.
Speaker 3: Yes, and she's having a lovely time from all reports with her husband. She won a singles title and Stutgar and a pair of doubles titles in Abu Dabby and Charleston. And she yeah, she's having a lovely time after leaving read.
Speaker 1: And being sons March got a fifty Yeah plus.
Speaker 2: There does it look there? Anyway? We're going to move to four benchit can anyone guess where she is.
Speaker 1: The Ritz Carlton, Maldives.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's in the Maldives.
Speaker 1: She's also there she's in the Maldives. Our original, Yeah, the Beni.
Speaker 3: She had a great year and she has decided to go the mal Dives as well.
Speaker 1: I mean, it looks beautiful, doesn't it. Love variety? Where else did the next person?
Speaker 2: Number three, we've got Sablenka.
Speaker 1: On where this looks familiar.
Speaker 2: She's in the Maldives.
Speaker 3: She's also with the Maldives.
Speaker 4: It's a special rate for tennis players and they've.
Speaker 1: All got an air B and B just on the beach. It's really good, and.
Speaker 3: There's more of them who went to the Maldives. But I decided to stop at three because I was.
Speaker 1: Like, because you're seeing the same time.
Speaker 3: I think the joke wasn't getting funny after three, because that's the point.
Speaker 1: It would have been not funny at two, but it would have been funny again at one.
Speaker 2: Anyway, moving on from stads.
Speaker 1: To actually have again beach looks through from me.
Speaker 2: Please tell me this one's a video, let's watch it.
Speaker 1: So for those who were just listening to music, oh hang on, she's not by herself. So Taylor Townsend and ami Osaka dancing on a yacht just having fun. Frankly, they look like they're having a good time. But geez, that's cringe wow.
Speaker 3: I realize our friends either until I saw this and I couldn't stop watching it. I think we talked about it producing Vick and I and I was like, what are they doing?
Speaker 6: But wasn't that French open when they started commenting on each other's instinct.
Speaker 3: So I think they've created quite a nice friendship because they've been in the Caribbean together, so they are not in the Maldives, even though it.
Speaker 1: Looks like the Maldives an original thought.
Speaker 2: That's good've had an original thought, I reckon.
Speaker 1: They just saw the price in the boat they wanted to write and went, shiit do you want to go? Haes?
Speaker 3: And they've been doing a whole heap of content together, and I've got to say it's kind of the jewe I didn't know I needed.
Speaker 1: Is this the high bar or the high bar is always?
Speaker 2: But the TikTok trend? Have you not seen that?
Speaker 1: Gray hair? I don't know what's going on.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 3: TikTok trend and I really like the song and the what do you call it? The remix of the song? Anyway, moving on, we can I go a.
Speaker 1: Number one, not on a beach. Good are there's alex Do.
Speaker 3: You know what we've gone with Emma Radicanu and Katie also, because you know what they did just out stayed home to see their families. And I thought, look, I love the Male Dives, but I do like the wholesomeness of just getting home being around the people you love. They they're very rugged up. It looks cold, but it's no Male Dives. But I really thought, you know, with everyone else in the Male Dives, let's just go home to London.
Speaker 1: You know, they spend the whole year flying around from North America, South America, Asia, Middle East Australia.
Speaker 2: You just want to familiar surrounding you.
Speaker 1: Like Katie going out for lunch with Alexander x.
Speaker 2: I think that's a grandfa.
Speaker 1: No, that's very good.
Speaker 4: Welldown, Bree, I don't want to I like.
Speaker 2: To like my number, but wait, where would you go?
Speaker 1: Great question?
Speaker 2: Oh if I break.
Speaker 5: Post as.
Speaker 2: I really really love Spain, so probably Barcelona.
Speaker 1: I also like congratlations. I'm not saying Buffa Salona.
Speaker 3: I also like Marra Cash They're two of my favorite places in the world, so probably one of them, or Japan, but only in summer.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't go to Japan.
Speaker 1: And Japan skiing elite now shelters.
Speaker 7: I don't.
Speaker 2: I've got double joints everywhere. I can't ski. You wouldn't ski.
Speaker 1: Being the holidays and fun things, let's take it out for our favorite time of the week. It's Ace of the week, Jamie. What's your race of the week.
Speaker 5: I'm going to go today. Can I do something for today? That's fine.
Speaker 6: My sister's playing their semifinals for their mixed competition. No, no, tennis, yeah, tennis, not at fault.
Speaker 1: It's a joke.
Speaker 5: So tennis, so very excited doing some place South Wales Open.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they've got a wild cut. Actually that's cool. Yeah, five PM show call against Cris and Lighton.
Speaker 2: Are you going to Sydney?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Flying up?
Speaker 2: I was so good.
Speaker 6: No, I'm going to say no, they're playing like local So yeah, okay, I was just.
Speaker 5: Lakeview Tennis Club. I don't know whether you I'm severely gullible.
Speaker 1: No you're not.
Speaker 2: I am, I really am.
Speaker 6: I'm so confused. Then sounds like you know, late and a cruise a playing tonight.
Speaker 3: I know, I know, but you were nodding, so I was just going along with you.
Speaker 1: Pretty. What's well, I'm not normally like this, but it's like us winning, it's US Australia winning.
Speaker 4: Anytime Australia wins, I'm I'm happy. And and the fact that it was us even better, even better. So it was a lot of pressure and now we have a chance to go through the final. So that's my ace of the week, short and sweet. We love it.
Speaker 3: We won, you did and you deserved it. Good captaining what about you?
Speaker 1: That's the way.
Speaker 3: I had a really busy weekend last weekend, so I intend to do nothing this weekend. And the ace of my week is that I bought a jaffle maker and my friend is coming over tomorrow night.
Speaker 1: We're making jaffles, experimental jaffles.
Speaker 2: She's she's thinking about what we need to put in the jaffles.
Speaker 1: Can I throw a suggesting? And this was from There's a place in Northfolk called Trailer Park and they have like free bands and stuff at the back. And I misread a sign and I thought they were selling bacon and the teller jaffles and I'm like, I love a weird thing. So I went in order and they went, what are you talking about it? And they point down they go, no, it's banana and the teller. But I was so excited about this content, like, no, have you got any bacon? And they made it for me and it was bloody delicious.
Speaker 2: No, I won't be doing it.
Speaker 1: Also explains my BMI. Anyway, my s of the week to take me out of here. I'm going on my final holiday of the year, but not to the mold eyes. Off to Port Douglas for four days' winning a schnorkeling. And it's the first time my wife and I are going on a holiday.
Speaker 2: Without the kid, without the kids taking the kids.
Speaker 1: No, sorry to rephrase that, No, not this time. Yeah, so looking forward to that.
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've never it's always been like one night here, one night.
Speaker 2: How many holidays have you had this year because I've had none.
Speaker 1: Well, I've had enough for both of us. Actually, I've had enough for both of us to have two.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyway, that's my ace of the week. Thank you, Pratty.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Made it not just BJK but through this show. Yeah, it's quite to get through though. Yeah, true, there was a few times. Even right now she's giving me the eyes. Hurry the hell, hurry up, Jamie. Thank you for coming back in a regular on the pod, much loved by ours fans and by us. Brie, You've done a great job as my co host and co driver in this Thank you.
Speaker 3: It's great to be here. I won't be here next week. I'm going to the TikTok Awards.
Speaker 1: What are you nominated for?
Speaker 2: Nothing? I'm going to.
Speaker 1: Schmooze, booze and schmooves.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm going to meet up with some of our influencers that we work with year round and kind of.
Speaker 2: Catch up with them.
Speaker 1: Well, you know who's co hosting it, Australian Open Zone.
Speaker 2: She's part of the reason why I'm going.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's good. Well say gooday for me.
Speaker 2: I will cool.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much for listening. Don't forget to leave us a positive review. If you've got bad things to say, keep it to yourself. Hit subscribe, Tell your friends. We'll see you next week for more of the tennis no bree or see then.
Speaker 8: Hey everyone, have sin Andy here. Just want to remind you that you can watch every episode of the tennis on our YouTube channel Astrain Open TV, and you can also catch us on Tennis Plus by heading to ozopen dot com, forward slash Tennis Plus and if you want.
Speaker 4: To flick us an email feedback thoughts on the show comments, We're at podcast at tennis dot com DOTU.
Speaker 2: One of us too will.
Speaker 1: Read it, but in the meantime we'll catch you in the next one.
Speaker 2: See Yeah,