Speaker 1: Flex and Frooms, Flex and Frooms.
Speaker 2: This is the Flex and Frooms catch up podcast, Happy Lines. A little listener question, is this rude now on the sheet that I have here? Yeah? Is this rude? That's all that's written. So we're just going to get into it. And also, where is our cult located.
Speaker 1: Rooms is working today? Everyone? She's clocked on? Award winning podcaster always always Let's go.
Speaker 2: This is Flex and Frooms on kit in.
Speaker 1: Good news potentially bad news, depending on how you're geared positively or negatively. I did come across a bit of a viral video. I feel like a Facebook mom. It's every day viral video. Viral video. Read a book, cite the encyclopedia anyway, computer in the seventies, nineteen seventy three in particular, predicted the end of the world using a very simple line graph, and that's what hurts me the most. This wasn't any complex technology. It was simple maths, protractor, ruler, are a few lines and it's pretty sad. It's the source, the reference. The use name is viral history. Not sure you'll find it. Who's the guy speaking? I don't know as a robot. No, it's a real man, but I'll play it for you right now.
Speaker 3: Very simple graphs which project what's going to happen to the planet over the next one hundred and fifty years if we don't do something drastic to stop it. From nineteen forty on, the quality of life diminishes. Here we are about the turn of the century, and we come up to the twenty twenty and it's really come right back while people, of course, means that you start to chew up your supply of natural resources. And this is this curve here, being curve that shows that slowly but steadily the pool of natural wealth in the world, natural resources, minerals, oil, and so on, is slowly but steadily diminishing. So this is the situation. As population increases, the quality of life decreases, and the supply of natural resources decreases. But haven't looked at this curve here. This is called the Z curve, and it represents poplar pollution. Now predictably enough, as the population increases. Up to nineteen eighty, pollution increases is more rubbish. But from nineteen eighty to the year twenty twenty, pollution really takes off. This is assuming of course, that we don't do anything about it. So the year twenty twenty, the condition of the planet starts to become highly critical, and if we don't do anything about it, this is what's going to happen. The quality of life is going to go right back to practically zero. Pollution is going to become so serious right out here that it will start to kill people. So the population will diminish right back here less than it was in the year nineteen hundred, and at this stage round about the year twenty forty two and fifty, civilized life as we know on this planet will cease to exist. Well hopefully, of course it won't be allowed to happen, but it's taken this kind of shock treatment to nudge governments into doing something, and slowly we are. We're starting to clean up our atmosphere, where starting to recycle out rubbish. We're doing something positive about population control.
Speaker 2: Sir, First, you got laugh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the first thing I love to hear in Australian accent. Oh I know, And plainly speaking, he said pollution going right up, quality of life going right down, and we know that was nineteen seventy and he'd imply that, you know, a push had been happening at that time. It's not beforehand, just fifty years ago exactly. Yes, that felt like it'selt like he was kind of like, this is where our wits end now, so let's start making changes. And now I'm coming to you in twenty twenty three to say, sir, a few things didn't get done half a century later, didn't really get to it. But what I will say is that if we are on track for a late twenty fifty oblivion, what are we going to do with the rest of our time?
Speaker 2: Everyone, I mean at least was to be like, we've got good years left.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's like the natural resolution of that time here.
Speaker 2: Going back to yeah, like in the old days when people died when they were fifty.
Speaker 1: Embracing tradition. Wow, all that to say, a few things remain true. Society does not respect academics, women in academics.
Speaker 2: It just it's makes sense.
Speaker 1: How many times can we hear the same kind of information told in a thousand different ways, with a thousand different bits of evidence, and just nothing happens. That is the bit I'm confused by, And the sinister part of me is like the people who have the resources to not be affected will be unaffected, regardless, regardless what they say. So they're not trying to busy themselves with what's your word? Common folk? Common with common folk work, it's not on their agenda. And unfortunately, I fear I understand that time we talked about some dating content, I did make a vow that anytime we'd discuss it, though, it would need to be from a fresh new angle. Actually, because by the time this reaches you, people have plagiarized us already. I'm talking in the mere minutes, it's gone from our mouth to this microphone and uploaded into the airwaves. Some other podcasts like this is good information, and they plagiarize it. So in coming to you with information that only we could, We've got tiktoks, we've got treachery, We've also got a podcast. What do you say, wait for it, wait for it. What do you think is the ultimate indicator of a successful relationship. I'm talking at the early stages when you just like first touched fingers with someone, when you first even looked at them. What is the ultimate indicator? Is it the level of attraction you share?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 1: Your financial status is it? Is it the clothes you're wearing? Is it the pheromones. According to research research, it is inconclusive, inconclusive. At this point, it's just vibes. Listen to this TikTok by Ben Spalos. He'll do a much better job at explaining the nonsense that is happening when it comes to picking a partner and picking a mate. And I'm sure he'll make you feel ashamed for how much effort, how much specificity and strategy you put into it up until this point, because it was all for no reason, for nothing, for nothing.
Speaker 2: And is this guy like a scientist.
Speaker 4: I've thought about this recently, so but no one saw this. Let me just say this again so you can understand this. I read a study recently called is Romantic Desire Predictable? And they found no bro stick around. They found if they use machine learning to try and create models to try and predict if people would like each other when they met, they can predict how relatively they could predict people's tastes. Kind of, they can predict how relatively attractive people are generally other people, but the effect was really small. But dude, when two people came together, they couldn't predict anything.
Speaker 2: It's completely there dark How they.
Speaker 4: Started this article and the introduction, they talked about how speed dating apps make these claims that they can do this, but that these claims aren't scientifically vetted. The article is called is Romantic Desire Predictable? The primary author Samantha Jowel. You can literally read this if you look this up on the internet to please.
Speaker 1: Do excuse me, but saw this.
Speaker 2: Let me just joker origin story.
Speaker 1: So what we're hearing now, what we're going to discuss in our podcast is a lot of people, ourselves included, have convinced ourselves that dating and finding a partner is a series of strategic moves, right, especially in that early stage before you even met someone. The way you're presenting yourself, the social circles you hang out with, the energy that permeates the room, all of this feels so intentional. So it's to tract the right partner to have the right relationship. But what we're finding is, yes, you can dress yourself in a certain way that will make yourself look more appealing, you can go to certain places, you can interact with certain kinds of people, But whether or not there will be romantic compatibility is totally up to chance.
Speaker 2: Whoa chance vibes is this one.
Speaker 1: Study University of Pennsylvania Rooms is like, unfortunately, I'm going to debunk the science and even there's more to discuss. Let's debate this because something about the way that relationships are the fifty percent at minimum divorce rate, the amount of dating just conjecture and squabble and discussion there is it's not really getting people to this end goal they think it is. Alas, our podcast is Flex and Rooms. You can listen to it anywhere you get good podcasts. We recommend it four point nine stars, thousands of reviews, and it has won awards.
Speaker 2: Why would you laugh just a way like you're talking in this bay funny to me?
Speaker 1: Like it's a comedian.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're a comedian. Comedian.
Speaker 1: If you're you've been shooting in for the last couple of weeks, you would have known that we are building conceptually a cult or a utopia. We talk a lot about the way the world is going to shoot. Yeah, and you know, it's a practical conversation to have, but I also think we can invite some whimsy to it. You know, let's have a little fun with it. A few minutes ago, I told you that a computer predicted the end of the world in the seventies. Twenty fifty was the date that was given. But not to stress, because in the meantime we can still have fun. Do you want to join our cult? By listening, you're already the admission is there implicated entry fees free. We figured out that I am the leader. Yes, the cult name is Ah.
Speaker 2: The third space yep. And then the byeline is getting near it getting near?
Speaker 1: It was that? Actually what I something like that? I mean it's a work in progress. Everyone in the details, they don't really matter. It's about the feeling and the and the unity, belonging to community, et cetera. Now, geographically, oh no, here, no, I gotta I got everyone, no stress sits here right here. Our cult is called redacted. The byline, the third space. We prioritize getting near and bonding with each other.
Speaker 2: There we go.
Speaker 1: Last week we determined what roles people want to play. This week, where we're gonna build the place. I mean, there's this one house on domain I've been wanting on real estate dot com. Actually they're probably owned by the same people these days. You know, this is one house I've wanted to buy for a Jerz it.
Speaker 2: Is in another one.
Speaker 1: It's the like Palace, so the Greek not that one, no, no, no, but I know the one you're talking about. No, this one is in Queensland, Incily. If you're time in the bubble house real estate dot com, it'll be there. It's been taken off sale, okay. And it was a really great price for a cult house. I think it was about under two million. If we're put our money together, I'll definitely get the mortgage out. Don't stress. If we all put our money together, we can really get something done. It is an architectural marvel. The person selling is the architect who actually built the space. It looks like a ton of bubbles, like smashed together to build. Yeah, this dome sque house. It looks like a spaceship. It's incredible. I tried to look for it the other day. I'm not sure if it's still available to buy, but if we're interested, I can reach out directly. In start of fear those conversations, I'd be more than happy to. This is the coolest thing ever Now in terms of be living there permanently, that is just me. But I will hold cult sessions on the lawn plea. The back because we will have some land and we will be growing various things on the land.
Speaker 2: It's not the craziest thing I've ever seen.
Speaker 1: It's beautiful. Wow, don't worry, I will buy that house one day. Cult. Oh no, cult, I'm not stressed. I would say, though, if we're talking about a modern day cult and the way to do it, well, if we're talking about how to do anything in the best way possible, we have to look at what's not worked previously. And part of the key theme about a lot of cults is this isolation that happens from your regular life and your family into this shared space. I don't want to share a space. I live alone for a reason, So I don't think we should live together in this cult. Should we live in the same suburb, Yeah, that'd be sick, Collingwood, it's the same country. Sure, that'd be sick. But the same exact like home. Not necessary. We're adults, you don't think so. I don't think it's necessary. I think it's like a cool little like added package. You reach the top level, sure, but as a starting we're we're trying to reach the world here. I think eight billion people live on one plot of land.
Speaker 2: Oh, definitely. It's a virtual place. It's like giving the meta virtual.
Speaker 1: You have a hotel, everyone, just have a hotel. We'll see that.
Speaker 2: We have a love line. Please, Caitlyn play the tape. Hello Lovely. This is my favorite segment because it's when a listener sends in h an issue.
Speaker 1: Yeah, relationship dilemma.
Speaker 2: We need to get to the bottom of this is from a real life listener. Her name is redacted. I'm going to.
Speaker 1: You said a couple minutes ago. So maybe it was yesterday that you don't know. So you said earlier that you spoke to a listener who didn't know what the word redacted was and then proceeded not to explain what it was and then proceed to use it further.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but that's what it is. He wouln google it if they want. Okay, okay, So I'm going to read this out. Then we're going to take a break, and we'll come back with our opinion. So everybody please listening. Hats on, let's go. I'm seeing a guy who I was in the talking stage with for three months while he traveled well in Brackets. We met the week before he left, but was super good at keeping in touch while he was away cute. We got on so well during that stage that I assumed it would be fireworks when he finally got back. That wasn't the case for me. But he seems feel all the sparks in the world, as he is voiced many times that I'm perfect, and it feels like we've known each other before. Now that we've had sex and been intimate a handful of times, I know for certain that there's no massive spark and I won't be able to be exclusive with him. I've voiced this to him and he said he agrees and also wants something low commitment, but then he continues to do very big commitment things like hosting family dinners. Well, I'm over suggesting data activities involve a lot of more, a lot more than casual sex, and just generally being head over heels for me. Lol. What I'm wondering is why it's so hard for me to confront the fact that I'm just not that into him. In brackets to tie in through his favor audio experience xx Ah finished brackets, Lol. It seems I'm so conditioned to expect a man to reject me that I can't comprehend what to do when the cards are reversed and I'm the one wanting less exclusivity from a seemingly perfect man. Oh my god, Can you gos relate to this confusion when it comes with a man who can't get enough of you? Or am I sabotaging an otherwise amazing thing? I just want to keep a casual and see other people, but I feel it would be disrespectful, considering he's only showing me respect and affection, things most girls would kill for. I'm so sure you have some juicy thoughts. Love you both, and Mickey more than life itself. You're the best.
Speaker 1: Well I love this.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, babes. So this one's titled You're the Problem actually part one the problem. That's just part of my notes. Yeah please, there's some residual feelings.
Speaker 1: Yeah ye.
Speaker 2: So this woman was in the talking stage with the guy for three weeks. They met a week before months three months, they met a week before he went overseas, and they were dearly dealing while he was os. That's the first problem.
Speaker 1: Have great conversations. She did say they were. They were Oh no, no, no, continue, you look like you were frowning. She did say they were able to keep up some really good conversations, which was a good sign. And assume that when he get back, sparks would be a flying. The sparks were not flying. They went on dates, participated in intimate activities. The vibes are just not there for her.
Speaker 2: For him, he's thinking, oh my god, I found we've known each other in the life. When they hit you with that that he's done this from sort of magic. Okay, So my opinion on this is that he is whipped because a like, while he's traveling, he was putting his eggs in your basket. So he's around gallivanting the world. In his mind, he's seeing the best of the best. He's on holidays. Do you know what I'm saying? Like he's gallivanting and he's still putting his eggs into your basket, so he has like an invested interest. Meanwhile it's giving. It's giving, Like this is why you need to spend a lot of time together and not talk on the internet.
Speaker 1: You runner rooms is correct. That's not where I thought this was going. And I didn't even think of that, But you know what, you are so right? People don't ask.
Speaker 2: Surprise, No, it's a nice feeling to be like.
Speaker 1: You are so right, people will shame you for being what I refer to as a turbo data someone. In the early stages of dating, you spend a lot of consecutive time together. You might go on three dates a week. You know, asleep over, you're talking consistently. People say, slow it down, get to know each other, just thro your phone calls. Don't integrate and immerse yourself in each other so soon, because what if it doesn't work out, then you have the adverse. And obviously in this instance, there was nothing to do. You had to speak virtually the whole time. But a lot of us can relate to maintaining virtual dynamics so just pale in comparison to physical dynamics. And I think that's because we're all trained in the language and the art of interacting online. When I say we all, I'm talking about a certain demographic of internet user, dating app user. You know what to say and how to appear. And there's something so enticing and addictive and don't mean related about text messaging and online interactions. And in real life you get the best of the best and the worst of the worst. So all the good things seeing the way somebody laughs what their voice actually sounds like. Holding them going places, it's really exciting. They get the worst, the worst. You're like, oh, well, they never blow their nose and they're always just sniffling.
Speaker 2: Yuh yeah, that's a bit of me.
Speaker 1: I no oh okay, oh wow, I start a strong lome. Or they are always just like touching things when you go to shopping centers, and they have no sense of spatial awareness, and they're always running into people, and they're so loud in restaurants, and you don't catch this online and suddenly you're creating a much more clear picture and you don't really like what you see in this instance, I commend you for recognizing that what you're experiencing now is a reverse situation of what other people experience, where you know, you're usually the person who's waiting to be rejected and this time you've got quote unquote the power. But also, like, I think that entertaining someone who's not right for you for or impartial reasons, it's just as bad as entertaining someone who's not right for you for the wrong, wrong reasons. They're taking up space. You need to clear up your roster, clear cash clear cookies and make space for the real deal. I would I would imagine this person would hate to know that the only reason why you're keeping them around is because they're not quite good enough for you to leave them.
Speaker 2: Oh and I will say as well, maybe like relish in the feeling of being on the you're like shoes on You're like the shoes on the other foot. I've never experienced this. I would take this as a learning opportunity to be like all the times that I've been on the receiving end, it hasn't really been personal. It's been something a third thing that's a secret third thing. We got a listeners submission. Wanted to know if they are.
Speaker 1: Rude not the right person to ask. My parameter is so off sometimes I feel like I'm being rude, no polite, or like there have been moments where I've tried to like be the bigger person and not said something because I knew I was gonna say something shady. And it's come across this me listening intently to you. I see the videos, Babe, in my head. I'm like, sometimes Fruits will stop talking like is everything occurrent? Like yeah, why? And then I see the playback.
Speaker 2: Please continue a flex and frooms. I love your podcast. Isn't it considered rude? And they've just gone straight into it? I love this. Isn't it considered rude for your date or friend or person you're hanging out with to not introduce you to whoever they run into. I was just starting to date a guy and whenever we run into people he knew, he would literally ignore me. Even the person he would run into would look me in the eyes and not say anything. This was a huge turn off for me, and in my opinion, a sign of disrespect. He can call me a friend or just say something like this is insert name here instead nothing. We're no longer dating a upset devil face nice. I'm gonna say this is a pet peve of mine as well, Queen. It is very easy to say, hey, okay, I'm out myself. I never remembert anyone's name. Okay, So when I'm with somebody else in public and I'm going to run into you, let's say I know you well, I'm still the name is going ah ah, I'll say, hey, oh my god, have you met Roger? Like I'll be like, oh hey, this is Roger, And then I just will like hope that Roger will be like, hey, I'm Roger, and they'll be like, oh, my name's Lucy. Right, that's what I do. I could never have someone m I don't like the idea of like being with someone and they're just like sitting there like a b May I please please don't.
Speaker 1: There have been instances where I have not introduced the person i'm speed to the person i'm with because I don't like the person i'm speaking to, because I don't want to invite them further into my life and spread the network wide open and provide context. It's similar to the way that, like, you know, sometimes you receive an email from someone and you're like, just because you've sent it and it's landed, I'm not going to respond because I don't want to respond to what's in this email. I don't I don't want to deal with it. Same with interactions. I really value the friends that I have, but I also have a ton of people that I interact with on a daily basis who I don't think it's necessary to rope them in or like bridge the gap between stranger and close person. To me, it's just not necessary. Sometimes. If that's not the case, if we're at just like a communal house party or whatever. I won't introduce the person I'm with to the person who's saying hello, because I don't want to have a bigger conversation than a fleeting high by, because if I can't do a high hi, this is Licinda to go.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm a bit of that, but it's obvious.
Speaker 1: Really, I want to be I obvious in the way that it's sending mixed signals. I want it to be clear what I'm doing without having to say the words. I like that. So if I've heard a few feelings on the way, I do understand, and.
Speaker 2: We unreservedly don't apologize. But there's definitely some empathy there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in this instance, I see why you'd feel some kind of way. It feels when it's in the context of a dating concept, you'd be like, whoa, whoa, Can I get a little suck for my efforts here and acknowledgment a little Hi? It's my friend, lil, But I get I get it.
Speaker 2: It's because he forgot your name. He's one of mine. You've been listening to The Flex and Froom's daily podcast for more, Tune Indicator on dab or stream it on iHeartRadio,