Speaker 1: Kiday, Peter, Hell, are you here? Welcome to you Ain't Seen Nothing Yet? The movie podcast where our chat to a movie lover about a classic or beloved movie they haven't quite got around to watching until now. And today's guest it's actor mate funny bloke Dave Lawson. All below, I want to stay here with you. That's the jobble. Why hat snake shucked? Why hail couldn't happening right now? You ain't seen nothing here? First of all, let me just say if you're listening to this thinking, hey, the quality is not like it usually is because I'm recording this with my head under a blanket in my home office on my iPhone. Just this intro. The rest of the episode is in the Pristine studios in our iHeartRadio headquarters in our Ain't Nothing Yet studio. So bear with me, but I want to give our guest today a big pump up. He's one of my favorite people to watch on the big and small screens. He makes it look so effortless. I kind of forget exactly the moment Dave Lawson came into my life, but I'm really glad he did. We have had now a working relationship which goes back many years. He was on my feature film which I wrote and starting them and produced, I Love You Too, a small role. Lucky to get him. He was a waiter in the scene with Brendan cow and even Strahowsky and I Love You Too. He also and I'll be forever grateful for him, and he debted. He was in a short film that I made called Christmas Clay. I did this film to see if I could direct and if I enjoyed directing. It was Dave Lawson, Sidney Waddingham, Dennis cord, Ash Williams, Mark Downey, and Steve Curry. We had to get a really great cast and every other member of the cast is family, and I'm so glad that Dave did it. He played a writer of bombond jokes that we deride during Christmas lunches, so he was hilarious in that and I forever be appreciative of him doing that. He was also in an episode of It's a Date with recent Yasney guests Poe and they were dynamite together. It was a great episode. Also started myself and and Lisa Mchown as well as Deb Lawrence. Funny how life Happens, My fellow jungle mate, and Dennis called again. So yeah, Dave was great and all those three things. He started his screen like Nickelodeon, did a lot of kids TV, but is now you know, entrenched in our screens on shows like the Utopia, on the big screen, in Odd Ball, Peter Rabbit, he was in The Mule, great movie The Mule. You haven't seen it, And like I said, he's one of my favorite people to watch. He also is in the Toyota Rads with his great mate Steve Curry, and there's a little bit of history about the Toiler Ads that we do get to in this episode. Dave also has great news recently. In fact, one of the weirdest moments in Lockdown was me turning on the Emmys and seeing one of the Jimmy's hosting and seeing Dave over his left shoulder because everyone was on zoom, and it was a very weird moment for me. I later found out that he was. He just was in the kind of you know, the stages of dating the amazing Sarah Snook who we all know and love. In succession, they are now firmly entrenched to have a beautiful bub and yeah, we do touch on that Dave's you know, being around at the Juggernaut that was succession and seeing Sarah go through that. So Davies, like I said, he's a complete natural on screen in person, he's a such good company, really fun, kind, interested, and I'm bloody stoked to be hanging with him today.
Speaker 2: My name is Dave Lawson. My three favorite films are Goonies.
Speaker 1: How Join a Friend you will at the Holiday? You're so right, You're supposed to be the leading lady of your own life for God's sake? And Super Troopers? Do you look like a cat to you? Boy?
Speaker 3: Am I jumping around all boomlea from tree to tree? No?
Speaker 1: No, am I drinking milk from a saucer?
Speaker 2: And up until this week, I'd never the scene Kevin Costner in Field of Dreams.
Speaker 1: If you build it, he will come. Hey, Eddie, Eddie, what was that?
Speaker 3: What was that?
Speaker 1: That voice? Just now? What was it? You didn't need anything?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: If you builded, he will come. Okay you must have heard that.
Speaker 3: Sorry, take money to dinner.
Speaker 1: M Tom Hanks may have screamed their reason not crying in Baseball in one of those other Baseball movies, but he's obviously never I've seen nineteen eighty nine s Field of Dreams, about a post ball Durham pre Dans with wolves, Kevin Costner playing Ray Kinsella who hears a voice in the corn fields instructing him to build a baseball field where ghosts of dead baseball players will soon gather. M Ray's under the impression that he's building the baseball field for band baseballer shoeless Joe Jackson Raleiota, but he discovers he's making it for someone much closer to him. Nominated for three Oscars Best Film, Best Adapted Screenplay, Phil Elden Robinson, who also directed the film, best scored by James Horner, Field of Dreams has been called the Notebook for guys source Raleiota, a movie not only about America's favorite pastime, but also about father and sons and making amends for the past. Dave Lawson have you ever choked on a hot dog?
Speaker 4: I haven't, but I do have a dream to enter the hot dog eating competition that Cony Island.
Speaker 1: Oh you go up again?
Speaker 2: Joey's Jewls Chestnut take on Joe Chestnut.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would love to. He is the gift that keeps on giving Joe chestnut each year, Like you think, surely he's finished, and he keeps on going.
Speaker 4: No, there's no stopping him competitive eating, because as I looked into competitive eating, I thought.
Speaker 2: I said to Sarah, I said, I'd like to go into competitive eating. What do you think?
Speaker 4: And she went she sort of took a breath and said, you know, I'm not sure if that's what you.
Speaker 1: Really want to do.
Speaker 4: I said, well, maybe I can enter one competition and then just to scratch that itch to be a competitive eater, because there's a lot around. But I think I do party pis. There's not a this is not a what would you eat? A podcast? But I reckon I could do party pies. Do you think when Sarah said to you, is that what you want to do? Do you think the subtext was do you think that's what I want you to do?
Speaker 1: She's very supportive and there's a line, isn't there? Yeah, I mean speaking of lines, and we'll get to the line of like building a baseball pitched into your farm soon. But surely there's a line of support, isn't there.
Speaker 4: I think that's right, and I think, you know, look, you do it, But I don't know if this is the direction I want my I'm not sure I want my husband to go into the world of competitive eating for health reasons. I think she wants me to be round for a little while. But I've never choked on a hot dog. But it is a dream of mine.
Speaker 1: It is a dream and to be saved by a ghostock that we'll get to that very soon. You chose this film's you know? I gave you the list like I do most people. Full disclosure, I had never seen this film and this has been very high on my list to see over the years. I have like pushed this, you know, maybe put it in bold on the list, and they said, you know, if you haven't seen Field of Dreams, I'd love to do that. Few people got close to doing it. I was almost going to watch it on Father's Day with my kids, but you're run out of time. Why did you choose this and what did you know about it? Can I be honest?
Speaker 4: I thought I was watching the one with Rosie O'Donnell with Madonna song as she used to be my playground.
Speaker 1: A league of their own, which is no crying in baseball. That's where that one comes from, right that's where that comes from. No crying in baseball.
Speaker 4: I thought I was watching a league of their own, but when I looked it up, it's like, damn it, I've chosen to Kevin Costner.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm glad we got that straight before you came in. We had one incident with comedian Daniel Connell, who I had watched and prepared as agreed to do Lost in Translation. He came in after watching Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Couldn't be better, couldn't be better. So I'm glad you sent me the photo of you with the bubble on the chest. She looked like she was very keen to watch Phila Dreams.
Speaker 4: You know, she saw it and it's got a big Kevin Costner sort of thumbnail.
Speaker 1: We watched it.
Speaker 4: I think it was on Binge, was one of the streaming services you get it on, and she couldn't.
Speaker 1: Take her eyes off him. Well, he's a heart throb. He's a heart throb.
Speaker 4: And I've not seen a whole lot of Kevin Costner, because I think when Fielder Dreams came out, I would have been like eleven.
Speaker 1: So nineteen ninety that comes out, This comes out in eighty nine, so how old are you in it? Around the eight nine?
Speaker 4: Well year eleven eleven eleven, So I think my first first time I came across Kevin Costner was Bodyguard, and I saw it at the cinema the morning to Peninsular Cinema and loved it. Yeah, yeah, you know, so I'm not but a huge Kevin Costner fan, but I was really glad I got that I ended up watching this because I did have some sense of that I knew it was about. I didn't know what it was about actually there until Baseball, and I love baseball movies. Major League I used to love, which I reckon as a kid, would almost be one of my top movies that I love to fun film Fun with Charlie Sheen, you know really when you.
Speaker 1: Corbyn Burns and Wesley Snipes' right, Tom Beringer, Tom Bringer. I haven't seen it as the Catcher, Yeah, the old, the crusty, leathery catcher, and I love it when he takes Wesley Snipes takes to catch like really nonsienantly, and he comes back to the dug and the coach says, to nice catch me, He's don't ever fucking do it again. I said, it was that a grab? How did you see that grab up so quickly? The impression was very good.
Speaker 4: So I love baseball films. I think probably when I saw Major League would have been in about grade six in primary school. So you know, when Charlie Sheen does their hairstyle, you put Snart on the ball?
Speaker 1: Is that right to do a curveball? And there's something about American sports that seemed to be made for movies, And I'm I'm not sure what came first. If American sports were designed to fit around the American cinematic esthetic or it was a coincidence, probably the latter, but in a way that soccer or AFL, even hockey, even though they do play a bit of hockey over there. But you know the Holy Trinity, baseball, basketball and American football all very translatable to the screen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I mean, especially with basketball, to have that last shot where the ball bounces off the ring a couple of times and then goes in with attension in that. I actually I've got George who loves loves basketball, my sons.
Speaker 2: He's twelve and Celtic ex fand chance no, he goes for the Brooklyn.
Speaker 4: The Brooklyn I'm just getting into it myself and really enjoying basketball. But I thought, you know, I said, you know what, we should watch White men can't jump. And it's yeah, there's a little bit going on in that that I realized it's not basketball. You know, there's a bit just some some sort of bedroom scenes and stuff, and you got to explain a little bit that he's he's just he's just training there.
Speaker 1: Mate. You can go back to Thay's eighties films as well, like Wildcats is one. But you know, I think I'm remembering. I think there's a full frontal nude shot of Goldie Horn.
Speaker 4: To watch this film, but but it wasn't bad. It was a great movie to and he really enjoyed it. And then we watched the new one with Who's there's a new young I'm going to sound like I'm a forty year old man now that rap the rapper boy, the boy he does the rapping, that rapping boy he does mc hammer.
Speaker 1: He's a new young rapper his first four into acting. It's good. It's good as well. It's so yeah, sports.
Speaker 2: Films they are there are a lot of fun.
Speaker 4: But and also when you get that night time shop with the lights on and the blimp of the aerial shot of a field. But these are field of dreams gone by surprise, because I thought he just built a sort of pretty, sort of makeshift baseball field in his corn field.
Speaker 1: But it's not. It's it's not it's not like mowing that the pitch the cricket pitch in the back.
Speaker 4: It's not as easy as that, like built a baseball field. I thought, sure, what, you just mole a little bit of the crop out and you know you can have a hit. But this is a what would look like I suppose professional.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so not big enough to be an actual baseball field. Because what they did only a couple of years ago, they paid an actual MLB, which is the I think that's the name of the league. The same two teams of White Sox versus the Yankees played an actual game on the fields, but they built it still exists. They had to build another field next to it, so amongst the corn and they built stands and Kevin Costa walks out and it's all televised and the drone shots and the music's playing, and Kevin Costa is like, you know, one of the most impressive things that happened in Australian pop culture recently was the finale of Neighbors and Guy Peers going back and given everything he had to that role as Mike Young, and I've told him that publicly, privately, pubably on the project. And like Kevin Costter does a very similar thing here. He kind of like he he is walking out and he is in the mooment. He takes his time, he stops, he looks around, and he kind of goes out and gives a bit of a speech. But the players following him out from the corn. I'm going to watch that happened a couple of years ago. You set it on YouTube. It is totally there. But there is something about American sports, I think, more so than most other sports that seem to I think because eventually they also get designed around TV as well. Yep, so they already they do have that. And I'm not sure I don't know those sports well enough to know what changes have taken place over the years to kind of like what has been to cater for TV and what hasn't been. But did you know about the line build it and they will come again?
Speaker 4: I was when I heard that, I wondered if that's where that line originated from, because it's.
Speaker 2: Quite a famous line, certainly from that if you build it, they will come.
Speaker 4: It might have been in Wayne's world at one point, if you build it, they will come. From memory, there was a you know, a desert, so that's where it maybe originated that that if you if.
Speaker 1: You build it, he will come. Yeah, it's fun. We all say build it and they will come. But it's actually he will come. He will come. Get your pronouns right, everybody.
Speaker 4: So when you hear that and and it gets right into it, it doesn't work around this movie.
Speaker 1: It's sort of That's one of the big points I want to I want to make about this movie because it's an unconventional movie in many ways, like it has to be said, a movie that has touched a lot of people, Like it's a much loved movie, but there's a lot to talk about it. Let's talk about your three favorite films before we get into it. The classic The Goonies.
Speaker 4: Just Joy loved it, the first movie I saw in the cinema, and I saw it in New Orleans when I must have been like six, I think, because we'll my Mum's Colombian and we're on our way to Colombia, and her brother lived in New Orleans, so I remember I did not know that.
Speaker 1: No, keep it quiet, Keep it quiet, because I mean explains the cocaine addiction.
Speaker 4: It doesn't, but it does surprise people, I think when they find that out.
Speaker 1: But we stopped there. We are so sorry. We are so used to people having like, you know, like if they look a bit like it. Yeah, we look, we look similar. Issue were Caucasian that you have an assis dadd and you have an azzy mumy inverted commas. You know. So as soon as we hear that somebody like Kate Lambrook as mother is Jamaican, right, and that kind of like blows my mind every time. Yeah, it certainly makes you more interesting in my eyes. Right now, Look there you go.
Speaker 4: I think as the surname Lawson is well, yeah, it's not sort of associated with South America or I think also as a kid, I used to probably say instead of no, I would go no, because I learned from mum. So I think got teased a little bit for people go no and I go no no. So I might have gone the other way, gone more sort of all right, lean into it.
Speaker 1: What was your mother's name, made name, or Madame Neche, so you're if you know, she can't even pronounce my name, David, she can't say, she can't even say it.
Speaker 4: And my other brother's Matthew. She can't say Matthew. She can't say. She can't pronounce her names. So I could have been like Alexandro or something else, but I'm not. I'm Dave Lawson. So we were stopping on the way through to visit, but and we went to the cinema, so it would have been one of my first cinema experiences. And my cousin, who was older, said, look, there's going to be a scary guy on the screen because he'd already seen it, so I'll cover your eyes if you want to when we see it, but he didn't, So for me that was just a formative experience in going to a cinema, sort of being overseas for the first time, and what a great movie seeing kids on the screen as well, because I would I was still quite young, so that's why Goony is. But that I would put number one interchangeable with time bandits as well, in that those two I couldn't move time banders down to two or Goonies down to two.
Speaker 1: That's so Time bandits.
Speaker 4: I watched over and over again as a kid, and then I've never seen Time band Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 1: I do that one again, isn't it. Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's great, just great. And you love Time Trouble.
Speaker 1: I mean, Frankie Fish that this wasn't set up either, your Trouble author. Yeah, I did love Time Trouble and that was inspired by Back to the Future. Yeah. Yeah, I'm not sure what I was in Time Bad.
Speaker 4: I mean a group of thieves going through time to steal treasures of through time.
Speaker 1: It's it's yeah, I'm embarrassed and apologize. George Harrison produced by him. He might have even written some of them, Miss Harrison. George Harrison basically save Life of Brian, didn't he like the last minute? He basically invested in that. Or there's a story about the way he say.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think he did have something to do that, But that's a Life of Brian's.
Speaker 4: Another one I showed George who was twelve, and then there's a full frontal bit of full frontal.
Speaker 1: I mean there's a big gun on in that movie as well.
Speaker 4: You know, I thought he was just because he's you know, he's showing an interest in that.
Speaker 1: You know, he likes the comedy and stuff. So I thought, let's I watched Rushmore, so I thought, I'm going to get Oscar this during lockdown. My youngest is fifteen now just turn fifteen, so maybe thirteen. During early lockdown, I thought, Okay, I'm going to do like Raging Ball and Good Fellows with the older boys, and I'm going to give Oscar, Wesy Andason experience and starting with Rushmore, which you just kind of think of, you know, Jason Schwartzman, the kid got a crush on the teacher and all that. A lot of references to hand jobs are completely forgotten about. You have to explain what that is.
Speaker 4: I remember the first time I have to. My dad had to explain maybe what a hand job was. We were at the cricket and the crowd started chanting, had Lee's a wanker. We're watching New Zealand New Zealand Australia and the crowd started had Lee, He's a wanker. And I remember guys like, I said, Dad, what's a wanker? And everyone sort of turned around, See what how this Dad was going to explain to his son what a anker was, and I remember I think he said it was just someone who plays with the doodle a little bit too much.
Speaker 1: She's a great you know, well done it, which is a good explanation, well well handled a little. I remember once my brother caught me a wanker and I got really upset in front of my mom, and my mom laughed and I was like, Mom, you don't know what a wanker is. It means that I made the hand and she goes, I know what is going on?
Speaker 4: Wayne, care because there is a good word. Why are we talking about? How's this gone from movies to wanking?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yes, references watching with your kids, explaining but trying to, you know, curate a film sort of experience for your children when you sort of and and sometimes you go it's different to what you remember, or they don't hold up, or you've got to pause and go just so you know, probably shouldn't be saying that anymore.
Speaker 1: And that's you know, yeah, I completely forgot how much Cheri or Morrow swears that photocopia in the castle like he really the amount of f bombs he drops? Yeah, you think the castles are nice? Easy one to watch and then ye know, not Martin the Stasia anyway, the lawyer Martin Stadia is his frontline journalist character. But yeah, he really goes to town on that Dennis.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it's such a great film, and I'll watch it again. And there's one I watched with George early on and he loves the Goonies two.
Speaker 1: It's just such a great movie. It's a really good one. We've got to cover for this. I wasn't directed by Stellphn Steven Spielberger, No, it was. Was it Christopher Columbus might have been. Yeah, it was one of those guys as I think.
Speaker 2: I always thought it was a Spielberg movie.
Speaker 1: But yeah, he was involved in it, no doubt about that. But it was. In fact, it was Richard Donner. Actually, when I make the leath Weapon films so well played everybody. The Holiday is a romantic comedy with Cameron Diaz and Jack Black and Kate Winslet and who's the other jud Law and Jude Law? Is it a Nancy Efron story?
Speaker 4: I don't know, Actually I don't look. I don't know where it came from. I just know every time it's on TV watching it, Yeah, it's on if it's on TV.
Speaker 1: I've tried to watch it a couple of times and I haven't been a breakthrough. I can't break through. I don't know what. Look, I love rom coms, and so do I.
Speaker 2: I love Oh, you've written a rom com.
Speaker 1: You were in that wrong com? That's right? You know I was a pivotal I think I was described as the pivotal moment in that movie. I was the waiter. You're the waiter, and that's what it was. It was a turning point, that was, you know, that's when ever turned south, and that was I was offered that role. I did an audition for that are the other waiters? Waiter number one?
Speaker 4: And I think I said something like, how's everything? Can I get you anything? Or something like that. Acting alongside Brendan cow and Yvonne Strowsky and Peter English.
Speaker 1: And Petered English work for some big names, haven't I. Rose Byrne was in that movie. Not in your scenes, that's right. You know what.
Speaker 2: The second time we work with rose Byrn Peter.
Speaker 1: Rabbit, You're on Peter Rabbit as well.
Speaker 2: I'm the hardware guy.
Speaker 1: I must say I couldn't be a bigger fan of rose Bene fact, I'm watching Physical at the moment. If you haven't wached Physical on Apple class bloody extraordinary film and one of the great extraordinary performances I've seen.
Speaker 4: For me, Tea what she's on some TV commercials at the moment. They were on last night with her husband. Is it Roby kind of Valley?
Speaker 1: That both in them?
Speaker 4: It's for like Domain Holmes or something like that, and she's really good in them. It's like, wow, and that is a challenge to be good in the domain Homer American and you go, actually almost you wanted When one came, I went, I've not seen those ads for the first time last night, I was like, how was that last? Rose Burn selling an app for selling homes? But very good, but she's she's great, So yeah, look, I worked with Rose.
Speaker 1: A lot of I call it have no idea who I am. I work with Rose quite a bit. So yeah, it's as hardware or wait a guy and a lot of the characters don't have an actual name in my movie. Yeah, it was just wow. I just got to the point where it's like, doesn't matter, it doesn't ib for people, like do you know when you look at it? If I hadn't that your Colombian I would have actually given you your Colombian surname as you know, respect to your mother. Yeah. So the Holidays are kind of house swapping kind of arrangement, isn't it. And it's Nancy Meyers not not No Efron.
Speaker 4: Right, Okay, they're both going through, you know, times in their life. They decided to swap.
Speaker 1: Kate Winslet and I can't remember what she does, but she's from English actress. She's an ackloss.
Speaker 4: But in the movie, and they's top Howerses and they fall in love and it's great. It's got England in the snow during Christmas and Los Angeles and Jack Black's playing a bit of a straighter role. But it's one of those movies. If it comes on TV, I go, oh, great the Holidays on?
Speaker 1: Is there a part of it? Like? And I love Jack Blake. I remember seeing the first time I saw Jack Blake was in Bob roberts and or maybe even a Cable Guy. Know it's Bob robertson and then he's in the Cable Guy. I really love him. And I'm not sure if it was my feeling or if I've kind of got this from my vibe and what people have said about the holiday. Does he fit into that movie? He does? But do you have to buy that? Is it Cameron Diaz? Who he is? The interest Kate.
Speaker 4: Wins Kate Winsley, So she moves into Cameron Diaz's house in Los Angeles. She's a big time movie trailer editor and she's got a huge house with the pool, the blackout blinds that come down automatically, and Jack Black lives next door and he might be a composer.
Speaker 2: So when Kate Winsley comes there, you know, she falls for.
Speaker 1: The sort of he's a bit of a sort of quirky, quirky and for the quirky doofus in all of us, it's you go, well, you know, good on him, good on him. Then they will fall in love and sort of it's happily ever after. It's is it Christmas movie? It's Christmas movie? I'd say, yeah, yeah, yeah, so that's that. Look.
Speaker 4: The reason I put that there is because I do know that every time it's on to you because I love a rom comment.
Speaker 1: I needed a rom com in my top three. Is it your comfort movie? It's my comfort movie? Yeah? Yeah?
Speaker 2: If I was sick on the couch and the holiday came on.
Speaker 1: That would be my heaven. Yeah, Okay, I'm going to force my way through it. Yeah, try it.
Speaker 2: It's got to you gotta be in the right mood. It's got to be you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's almost lying in bed movie. It's lying in bed. Even watch it on the laptop. Do you watch movies on your laptop? Not a lot. And if I have to, if I'm in a hotel and I can't work out habit, cromcast works. Yeah, right, gotcha.
Speaker 4: So that that's there as my rom com because I needed a rom comm in my top three because I love rom coms and Superstribe is not a rom com. Super Trope is not a rom com. That was the movie. I think I've watched another one of those that it was in, just it's more for where I was in the experience of watching it. Moved into my really my first share house, and it was one of those movies we just loved watching. After a few beers or whatever you have when you're a teenager, when you're in your early twenties, to put on super Troopers, it's kind of a sort of I suppose it's a bit of a Stoner movie with Brian Cox who.
Speaker 1: Plays the chief.
Speaker 4: He plays the chief of police in that, and it's kind of the guys from maybe those Kids in the Hall. It's Canadian. I think it's maybe the Canadian. Yeah, were people involved in that that were.
Speaker 1: Is it? David? It's those strange not strange with candy comedians. Yeah, he's the whole Canadian. Canadian cooks, Canadian cooks, Canadian cooks. Did you mention, because you've spent time around the Succession production, did you mention the Brian Cox that you you were a super Tripers fan.
Speaker 4: It took me a while because he is a because he's such a he's a Shakespearean actor and he's very serious and.
Speaker 1: Actation when he plays like McKee where he plays like Robert McKee like that, you know, they and he's doing the lectures, right, Charlie Chaffman goes to the lectures and he's just like an angry kind of like, you know, Brian Cox, that's that really well obviously, but he's intimidating. Well, it's one of those.
Speaker 4: Because it took me a little, It wasn't the first thing I wanted to say to him, like lovely to meet you, by the way.
Speaker 1: Super Troopers such a good movie.
Speaker 4: I did eventually say, look, be mean to say for a while that I Supertrooper is one of my favorite movies, and he said it's one of his too. He loved it because just really had a good time making it, because it's so so stupid.
Speaker 1: Well it must be, you know, And this will probably bring us to the film we're going to talk about in a second. But it must be satisfying when you on set making a film where you're thinking this is a bit bonkers, and then it finds an audience that must come with a certain kind of adrenaline rush, or at least, if not adrenaline rush, long standing feeling of fondness for that movie because you know, you either whether you're jobbing acting you're just taking a role because that's the job you can get, or if you are like one of the leads and you have decided to back this film in because you think it actually could be something. So yeah, I can I can see them that it might be. It's like me with I Love You Too, the movie I Love You Too. I read the script and I went, I don't know, girl, but the waight up? But can I do anything with this rock and I did. I think I did, But yeah, I think it's it was. It was a nervous moment to sort of mean Gales in that movie as well, Gale off the list Traffic Man.
Speaker 4: When you realize when I go through my resume and work with some of the names of Hamish Blake, jeez me, you were in it, best mates.
Speaker 1: It was. It was let's move on because there's more names to discuss. But I love you too, very soon. But let's talk about the movie. We are here to talk about. It's a nine and eighty nine. It is a much loved film, like American Man and also Australian Man. It was a hit out here. It was hit in the UK, despite baseball films sometimes struggling the final audience internationally. Field of Dreams, Kevin Costner, James L. Jones, Darth Vader himself. Who else is in there? We've got Ray Liotta, of course, the great late Ray Liotta. We also have Amy Madigan is in the Timothy Bustfield later scene in the West Wing, Gabby Hoffman lady sitting in the series Girls and it was fantastic in the Jaquin Phoenix film, Come On come on, who's Gabby Hoffman gz little Girl? Oh yeah, right, Haley dies on the hot dog Frank Waley, Bert Lancaster of course, a great cast. Dave Lawson, did you enjoy nine and eighty nine's Field of Dreams?
Speaker 2: You know, I loved it. I really did enjoy it, and I was in the right space to watch it.
Speaker 4: The baby had gone to sleep, so sitting there watching the Telly with us all and we all sat down and watched it and got to watch it without any interruptions as well.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I had no idea what it was about, but I did.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's one of those throughout this movie we were saying, could you get this movie made today? If you went and said, here's the pitch, guy gets spoken to out of the corn says if you build it, he will come. And then he builds a baseball field for ghosts.
Speaker 2: You know players past. Do you think they would have gone?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yes, like I again, So first time I've seen it, and I've always wanted to see it, had a Vitalugan reaction to it. Right, there are things I like about And I'm not trying to dismiss how people because people, you know, watch this I think if you've got like if you lost your father, you know, at a young age or something, or even if he's no wrong with us anymore, I can imagine this movie like the moment at the end, which you'll get to later, like does so much of the work, I think. But you mentioned earlier about how quickly they get into it, and it is astonishing so that you start off with this kind of catch up voice over which we learned about the dad and he went to war and he came and came back and baseball and you know, and that was a connection between the father and the son, and the mother had died so shoeless Joe Raleot and then they had a falling out. We kind of learned about that later on. We kind of had the during this setup, we kind of he went off the university. He basically he springsteening his way out of it. He wanted to get us far away from his dad because he's young and the sixties, yes, the sixties, And he went in March and he smoked we and then he meets his his wife, she never meets his father. They have the baby, which becomes younger Karen Gabbie Hoffman Dog Girl near tragedy. We'll get to that soon. And then, because Alice is from Iowa, she convinces Kevin Costner Ray to become a farmer. So he has this line saying, you know, I'm thirty eight, i love my family, i love baseball, I've never done anything crazy in my life, and I've become a farmer for the first time something like that. So for me, that's just all catch up stuff. That's just like history, and that should bring us to page one really like. And then we go into the scene we heard before about building and there he shocked it. That happened so quickly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was because I mean, you've got this idyllic sort of farmhouse and it looks beautiful. You know, the crop is green. You go, this might actually work out for him. He did not a farmer, but I reckon, and he looks like he might be a bit of a farmer. You know, he suits the farmer wardrobe. Kevin Costla looks good in a sort of you know, in a Levi five oh one and a loose shirt.
Speaker 2: But then yeah, he's out there in the field looking out and you go, the crops are going well.
Speaker 1: And then all of a sudden, you hear. If you build it, he will come.
Speaker 4: And so he thinks, am I hearing things? Is the highway playing tricks on me on what's going on, and yells out to his wife and.
Speaker 1: Says, did you hear that? And we hear that?
Speaker 4: And they clip there no one can hear anything. But what also surprised me is that we're in it really quickly. But he doesn't sort of go I might be going crazy o and mentions his wife. He goes to her and says, I think I'm hearing things.
Speaker 1: You know, I sincerely wrote down Why does he tell his wife? Now? I can imagine in real life if that was happening, you might say, listen, I heard these things. But from a movie point of view, I would have liked to seen him struggle with that a bit more. I also would have liked there's a you know expression, show don't tell so you know? So we want to see things as opposed to being told them, and they tell us. They don't really show us in that opening package, they tell us everything. I would like to have seen him a bit before, and I'd love to know if there were some scenes that were cut. I think this is a film. We talked about film's been too long in these days. I think this is a film that needs another twenty minutes. It's too short. It's too short. It does run I think one hundred and forty, so like or maybe just needs maybe lose that meeting, that town meeting scenes that the Simpsons. I just feel like I wanted to kind of see his relationship because he says, I've never taken a risk in my life, but the idea is risk adverse. But in that opening package, it's nothing that suggests that he's risk averse. In that package, he smokes weed, he goes to the marches, you know, which some people would see, is you kind of you know, potentially a risky thing to do, like paint the picture of him being risk averse, so the stakes are higher when he actually does build this. And also later on we find out why he was I know they do saying in the opening package that he moved as far as his father as he can. But that's just one line, Like I would have liked to have seen, you know, put some flashbacks, maybe that moment of him saying what he said to his dad, which was I could never respect anybody whose hero was a criminal, which in regards as shoeless shoe Joe Jackson. Yeah, was fixing games, fixing games and true story. There's some nice touches in it when they talk about the lights and that the owners worked out they could get more people in, and he says, damn owners, or the equivalent now of having falling out with your dad because someone was fixing like because David Warner was a bit of a Johnny Best defending Johnny Bearst or he was defending Johnny Bears. I won't talk to you again. You've done it seems to be. And I think what they're trying to say is he was young. I think he's you know, I was seventeen or however he was so a lot of it was just that kind of inbuilt father son. You know, the mother had died early, so he would have had the father in his life, maybe been overprotective or working so hard that he didn't see much. Whatever it was. So in small town. I can kind of understand that he wanted the bust out and then maybe kind of realized he was not gonna have as much time as he is from World War Two. Yeah, I think there's a lot of interesting stuff you could have actually shown us, and I thought they kind of flipped over, and you know, even I mean, this is maybe a hacky way of doing it, But having a scene where it's the anniversary of his father's death and at the gravestone or something like that's a hackey version of it. That's the ship version out loud. But I just think I would have I wanted to see him struggle a bit more. And then when he has these voices, it's like it's the most normal thing that could pass happened. It's true, like it really is, Like he questions it was there a radio one with the kids, there's a hill way and then no, and it's just like okay, And then now I think I need to build a baseball And she's so supportive, like she's a wise cracking kind of and I like the fact that she's not necessarily playing a nagging wife. I think that's very good. But I think it's the movie suffers as a result a little bit. You could have maybe had it both ways. Like she comes from out to the idea really quickly, like she's the one who obviously knows about the farming. She's from Iowa. It was her idea to go into it, she brings it up eventually that they're running out of money. She must have foreseen this, she must have known this is going to cost money.
Speaker 4: Maybe it was just like scratch of rich. Maybe it's like enter that eating competition. In the moment, just look taking Joey chestnut. Taking joe look, mow the field, you know, and we'll see if it works, then may we'll get over it and put crops back on it. Because it's a lot you know that she takes a lot of valuable crop land.
Speaker 1: She thought he wasn't going to do that good of job, Like it was just going to be like like we said before, lace and pillows down as basis, put a bit of dirt as a mound, and then you rig up the full light system. It's you know, the full lights was overkill. There's a lot of lives there too.
Speaker 4: And I was thinking that's a lot of electricity like the but obviously the rates per killer what wouldn't have been as expensive as are these days.
Speaker 1: But every returned those lights and I was going to get that, and he's destroyed half his crops, Like I'm not sure how corn works that gets sold or I don't think it didn't look like I had any head of corn on it. Yeah it is now didn't have any cops and the cops. There's no Cobs. I don't think the cops. I couldn't see cops, No ty Cobs. And that's where type COB's name comes from. No ty Cobb famously.
Speaker 2: So I think it was ready to go, but he had to build this field.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 4: I think that was like he had to answer these voices in his head.
Speaker 1: So I just like this character just doesn't go on the much of a June for me. He doesn't start it. Everybody gets the rock bottom. It kind of floats through it, and he's allowed to float through it. The only person offering any resistance or raising the stakes is that he's a brother in law who's kind of putting pressure about the farm. And I just think, with a bit more and it's not a sound there's things I really like about the film, and I can understand why people connected with it, and then we'll get to the stuff that I like soon. But I just kind of think with some more investment at the start into us understanding and maybe seeing maybe young Ray with his father when that moment came later and obviously I'm probably wrong because it hits home for a lot of people. But for me, I wanted that moment to hit me in the guts a little bit, and I just it didn't really. I liked it. I admired it.
Speaker 4: I think if you watch it on Father's Day, maybe it had a little bit more. It's a real Father's Day movie, it really is. And I was going to watch it on Father's Day and we ran out of time. But yeah, I would love Annie to kind of question a bit more like Karen. The young girl is the only one who really she says, are you a ghost? She just comes out with it. You can't say that to a ghost. It's just kind of well that's their response is like, hey, well it's okay. But the other people who do question is the townsfolk going yeah, well yeah, the littlepool, little build a baseball field and he's you know the town you know, he's nuts. Yeah, this in the town meeting. You're talking about Sims the town meeting.
Speaker 2: Well, your husband's a nut.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and let's talk about the town meeting. Because I mean, like, I'm not sure if that was time well spent, to be honest, because you have to introduce you got to induce the idea of Terrence Man, who is the author, who was a celebrated author, fictitious but celebrated during the sixties amongst the camic culture crew, and then basically has gotten sick of people hanging off his every word and looking for him to be the leader. He wants them to go and start thinking for themselves. Sick of conspiracy theorists, they stept away. Apparently based on J. D. Salinger. He's become a recluse, so you do need to introduce him just like It's just it's almost too comical. Like sometimes I think this movie is caught between being a comedy and the drama is not and you can easily put a foot in both camps. But I'm not sure sometimes if they look like this felt too silly for me. I mean, it's the ghost baseball is You've got to just let yourself go along with it, go along for the ride, and so okay. The other thing that bothers me a little bit about this film is I don't think the rules of their world are set up particularly well. Why why do some see the ghosts and why can't others? Is it because they simply they believe in it.
Speaker 4: They don't explain it. That's why I'm not sure if the ghosts are there. And then you know, well, if you jump, jump around, jump, if you jump to the end, this is the sort of you build it, they will come. And then eventually you go, well, there's lines of cars wanting to you know, this is is that line of cars. The shot pulls out, and you know it looks like he might save the field, after all, keep his baseball field by selling tickets. When they get there, are these people going to go, hang on, I'm not seeing the ghost baseball.
Speaker 1: This is a baseball field.
Speaker 4: But there's also they might just want to sit there and enjoy the serenity of the of the baseball field amongst the.
Speaker 1: Corn and it is a beautiful like it is beautiful to look at, like to the point where the last scene of the movie. I think it obviously works. And for me, it didn't hit me in the guts as much as I would like it too, But it works, and I think all the elements of production have come together to make this moment work. I think the lighting is beautiful. I think if you put that scene with the father and son and let's let's have a listen, polities are jumping around as much as we usually do to the end, but I think that's my fault. No, no, no. Sometimes people like to go to the end, but then I direct them back. But I'm happy to do it because I think I think once you discuss the end, we can kind of open up and talk about other moments of the movie. But let's have a listen very big. I guess the equivalent in Australia would be playing, you know, having hit a cricket with him that in the driveway, or playing kick the kick in AUSI rules the idea of playing catch with your dad's a very kind of father and son bonding thing to do. So this is Ray and his dad, ghost Dad at the end of the Field of Dreams. Can I ask you something? M is is this heaven? Mm hmm it's Iowa, Iowa, Yeah, m hm, whe it was her? M hm.
Speaker 6: Is is there a heaven?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it's the place dreams come true?
Speaker 5: M h.
Speaker 6: Maybe this is Heppen?
Speaker 1: Can I lack.
Speaker 3: A night? John?
Speaker 1: Hey, Dad, are you gonna have a catch? I'd like that. So the music is extraordinary. It's James Horner. It's just amazing. The aesthetic of which we've spoken about the corn fields. It just looks. It is stuff of dreams. It's the light. There's a reason they shot it, shot it what they call it the gold Golden Hour. The performances are obviously amazing, and the actor who played Dwy Brown played John Kinsella. His father had just passed away and he like, literally, I think, flew in from the funeral to shoot this scene. So that added you know, you never know what things go into making a scene and what gives it, you know, the extra thing. There's also a weird thing where not weird that he calls him dad and ghost that doesn't react.
Speaker 4: Because he goes to introduce him to his family and he goes, this is my this is John. Doesn't he pulls himself back. I'm saying, there's my dad.
Speaker 1: I think what I thought about this is because they're the same age. Him and his dad are the same age.
Speaker 4: He's playing catch with each other, and that's what made me think is like, I would love to join up with my dad at the same age one day, just to go what are you like? Because you know your dad is always sort of yeah, an older figure and sort of you know, you look up to them or or whatever I mean, I do, But I did think, oh, what would it be like to go if me and dad could meet in our sort of twenties, And you know see what That's what sort of got me sort of a bit choked up to go, oh, never will never be the same age as you know, I'll although you sort of were close, you both become sort of when you start to have a family. That's where you've got some other things in common. But that's what got me about that moment, is like, oh, he got to make amends with his dad, Yeah, but also sort of see each other for who they kind of are.
Speaker 1: And I love the idea that they did have that moment of being able to make amends. And I guess why my rants earlier are really about beefing that story up earlier, really planning it with more emotion from the start. So we kind of see that weight on him when he says all that stuff about you know, I'm getting yeah, I want to do something, you know, I want to take a risk. My dad never took a risk. I just don't think any of that stuff is earned. You're writing a screen, but you talk about earning moments and I think there's too many shortcuts in this movie. And that's why I say I think the end works because of the amazing production. It's, you know, everything, all the elements of what goes into good movie making are their and my restruction design is great, isn't it. It's brilliant. Yeah. In the movie for the field, that the house, the Yeah, that's what we see a lot of it is set in that field with that house there too. But then the ghosts don't come straight away to his field. There's a winter passes and a Christmas. They have a montage of the field under snow. See I think I ever missed that, like because they have a montage. He's sort of the snow. There's snow on the field. No one's coming, No one's coming, right, No one's coming. And then I think there's a look, what are we doing with this field? Because and then that's when the daughter goes, hey, Dad, there's a man in which is a great movie trope, isn't it. If a kid interrupts an important mom and dad discussion three times? She's got something important that we've got to talk about.
Speaker 4: We've got to talk about this corn field, Yeah, Dad, Dad, Hang on hang on, baby, Dad, but we're talking about losing the fields.
Speaker 1: And then please, okay, shut the fuck up. But there was a man in the field, in the field, that's when he goes. And then you know, he looks out the window.
Speaker 4: He goes, Okay, there's a man wearing a baseball outfit, obviously a vintage baseball outfit.
Speaker 1: And even then, even then, the reaction of Annie is to say, I'll go put on a cup of coffee. Why don't you go out? There's got to be a better line, I think, to kind of convey the majesty of that moment, even as simple as something I was just trying to think, like it could be something like you go, he's waiting for you. That's a much better line than put a cup of coffee on? Won't you go out?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's very casual. It's like, I mean, he goes out and walks and chats to rate this and I love the dialogue between shoeless Joe and Ray. I think I think it's shoeless Joe. He's a bit of a dick to start with, Like as far he's building this field and he's like, yeah, he just does knocking balls into the corner it's like, you're.
Speaker 1: Not going to get it, mate. I do like, I do like the changing customers performance when he comes a bit giddy, like is a bit awe struck. Yeah, I think that's love pitching. I love the fact that he sucks up his first hit. Well that's why I thought, I thought, oh god, he can't even play baseball. But when he when he connects with one, Yeah, and I wonder if that was you know, he just fuck it one up and they use that one. I think it's nice when shoutless Joe starts hitting and he hits one towards almost straight straight back.
Speaker 2: He says, he says, let's see if you can hit my curveball.
Speaker 1: Not a good thing to say to shoeless Joe. Yeah, but that was that was a happy accident happened on set. So that was yeah. Yeah, So I I mean, I'm not saying at all that last thcene doesn't work. In fact, I'm saying it works despite I think some of the flaws. So I felt a little bit I didn't get I didn't get miss the yard or anything, which I was expecting to because I also have a very like this. The themes of this movie really speak to me as far as my dad and I had the pleasure of doing in the honor of doing an episode of who Do You Think You Are? On SBS where they trace your family tree, and a lot of it came the connection through football if a Football was a big part of it. And I go to the football every week with my dad and my brother and my kids and my nephew and my sister, and it's really built into the fabric of our relationship, always has been. It's been the easiest thing for us to talk about over the years as football, particularly Collingwood. So this movie should be riding my hitting zone. And I wish there was a slightly better version of it than I could actually really love. Like I said, I liked it and I actually watched it a couple of times and yeah, I just I.
Speaker 2: Just does it have remake written all over it?
Speaker 1: Well? I think it could be remade. Yeah, yeah, I love Aaron Sorkan or somebody to have a crack at it. Yeah, you know, I just want to. I mean, the trouble is, it is all about the end, and we know it's coming. You can't change the ending, so that's the issue. You might have to wait maybe another twenty years, thirty years and then remake it. Who knows what com movies they'll be making they'll be making then. But yeah, let's talk about Terrence Terrence Man James l Giants James, who apparently hates baseball, gives one of the great baseball speeches which we'll listen to in a sect but apparently in real life hates baseball. So yeah, he's introduced through this meeting, this town meeting, which yeah, there's it becomes this nazi Eva Braun kind of earned the books. You burn the books, you know, into America. How great America. It's a bit uncomfortable to watch, I felt. And he's having a win whether you you know, like the American flag waving and the Bill of Riots and Constitution. Yeah, we're American. And she's having a win, and she's won over a tough crowd. You'd have to say they were a tough crowd. They went on her side, and she's did you see me in there? Yeah, she's signed. But before you even get to that bit, he's saying we need to go, we need to go. And he's saying we need to go. He's shitting on her moment because He's somehow worked out this second signal, which is like ease his pain. Pain, And again there's no reason why. How have you worked that out? I've worked it out? How have you? Was? He written it on a piece of paper, And now you happen to be at this meeting talking about talking about like that is. I would say that's a cheat, you think, yeah. I just I feel like they haven't worked hard enough to join the dots on how this is all happening. I like a bit of mystique, and I'm trying to think of other movies like It's a Wonderful Life and Midnight in Paris, which I really like. And that's got Owen Wilson. Nothing much happens outside. He goes to a walk in Paris and there's this car comes and picks him up, and all of a sudden he's hanging out with these socialites from the nineteen twenties, you know, up in the end the Ballopoc area, you know. And then he's hanging out with Hemingway and and that's really all that happens, is happens to jump in this cart this particular time of the night. Back to the futures, you know, obviously another one where it's I think with time travel and fantasy movies, you have to kind of get that balance right of when do you stop panicking? And I think Kevin Cousin never panicked, never kind of got started, like Michael J. Fox, nailed it as far as the level of light, and there was always there's a lot more things happening in Back to the Future because that's the stakes were so much higher, you know, so he had things that react to. I must say they've given Kevin Costler much to react to, to be honest. Yeah, And I think Back to the Future and it's a wonderful life and Midnight in Paris and even ghosts. They know their rules of their universe really well. I just don't think Fielder James has a good enough handle on their rules. What was the peace you reckon? Was it just a guy? And then we have a flesh This on a movie, so based on a book. I know how successful the book was, So there's a source material, which I guess helps. I've got to keep repeating this is an extraordinarily successful movie. Premiere did say it was in the top twenty most overrated films of all times. So there are I'm not alone in kind of going hang on what And like I said, it's amazing that it works at the end and people have this emotional reaction considering some things, I don't think a set up. There's also the other thing that happens, you know, for more American audiences, but baseball is entrenched in their lives, like they love baseball, and like I said, that throwing that catch to catch is a generational thing that all American kids seem to do with their dads. So they've got some really clever things built into which are like emotional you know, straight lines into into open, open wounds and open we're tapped the Yeah, I think so. So he goes to see Terrence Man. What did you think when he when he found Terence and he's obviously reclusive, and you know, it's played for a little bit of comedy, a little bit of you know, yeah, James L. Jones obviously Darth Vader voice, great thespian.
Speaker 4: He's not he's not in the phone book. You can't just look him up. He can't just look up Terence Man and go So you've got to ask around.
Speaker 1: And yeah, there's a little montagery masking guy yeah.
Speaker 2: And then he knocks on this big the big steel door.
Speaker 1: Yeah. He pays a kid wearing a Boston Celtics had twenty marks or something, and he tells him where he is and it's I don't want to know. I don't want to.
Speaker 4: I'm not interested in what you're selling. I'm not selling anything. Yeah, I don't want to He thinks he wants something.
Speaker 1: This guy wants something, and then it's kind of jammed the arm in the door and look, get him there and explains to him.
Speaker 2: What is he what does he actually what does he say to him?
Speaker 4: Because I realize it's yeah, he tells him to he is pretty much fuck off.
Speaker 1: Yes, don't yes, because because he's nar a recluse, he's sick of he's been basically hiding away. He's sick of people wanting him to lead and asking him for quotes and to maybe write another book. He's not his passion for writing. He's now writing software for children's video games. Doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who'll be doing that. But you know, Ray does go with his hat in his hand and say this sounds crazy, but you know, this is what I need to do. And he does sound crazy, and he gets escorted out of the building and then he he has that thought where you think, okay, it hasn't worked, and he goes back with his the door has been open, the doors a jar, a jar, slam it. He slammed too hard, and it's obviously because he did actually slam it. So he comes back in with his gun, not a gun, his fingers in his pocket. Yeah, you know, he coming with me, yeah, which he joked about earlier when he's when he's kind of pumping himself up in his comby, you know, like coming with me so and he's brushed off as a ridiculous idea. So when he does it, you know, it's it's comedic, and he sees it straight away threatens me with the crowbar. But then eventually he's he's you know, he's genuine. He seems like a nice enough guy, and Kevin cost is very good at playing a very likable guy. I'm a big Kevin Costner fan, massive fan of the Untouchables. Love Dance with DK just rocked me as a fifteen year sixteen year old, and I'm not sure if there's an actor who does who makes it look more effortless than Kevin Costner. Oh, he's a movie star. Yeah, he really is. He's a movie star. Yeah, But I did think I think James L. Jones I had a bit of an issue connecting with him, maybe because it's the dart Vader, I don't know, but he's such, he's such, he's got his brilliant voice, and he's such like a statesman. And in my head I can't quite reconcile because I'm like, yeah, the character was a bit of a statesman. But I just I just wondered the second time I watched it, I wondered if like it was a Morgan Freeman around, like a Shawshank kind of aunt a few years before, you know, probably five six, seven years before Shawshank, that kind of era of Morgan Freeman. You think it might have been a miscast. Yeah, I'm not. I just didn't when he orders the beer in a hot dog at the at the baseball which is you know, I thought it was a cheesy joke. What do you want? I want people to stop bothering me. I want people to give that big speech, what do you want a beer or a hot dogger? And I just wonder if he was I wouldn't have mind that character being, you know, because he's leaving in this kind of like reasonably kind of crappy apartment, you know, doing kind of computer week, which not like would have been paying. I don't think back in that time in Boston, in Boston a bit more. I just didn't believe him playing a little bit down and that, you know, he's so statesmanlike. So yeah, it was not a massive one. It's not like he was completely inappropriate at all. Like I just kind of wondered. I was trying to think who else they could have been, and I thought he was a big star then James Well, I mean yeah, I mean he wasn't coming to America. I know that, which would have been a couple of years earlier than that.
Speaker 2: I hadn't done, he hadn't done more faster yet I don't think he might have been fas.
Speaker 1: Maybe yeah, yeah, And certainly his voice was known, and I must say they had times where I do hear Darth Vader in his voice. Understandably, the more you sort of talk about this movie and I pick it, you go, wow, how do they they did get from there to there?
Speaker 4: When they went, all right, how do we get from here to James L. Jones, We'll just have a town hall meeting. And he comes up with it's.
Speaker 1: Like short done the shortcuts into treating in this movie. I don't think I've ever seen it in a movie as highly regarded as this. They've just gone, fine, it doesn't matter. Sure, can you see the ghost? I don't know? Yeah? Maybe yeah. And this gravel path around with the kind of the stones, you know, they can't go past it. We don't know what stopping him from Yeah.
Speaker 4: So someone says, all right, what's in a writer's room, what's stopping him from leaving the field.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's some gravel on the edge. I feel like, you know, when you when you write, you know this, like producers will have notes and you like and you're like, oh, bloody hell, you know, But I'm like, but didn't ask enough questions. They didn't have enough notes on this. Also, when you go to a white shot or a drone shot from above, which I can take it a few there's no I think it might be a drainage thing.
Speaker 4: That's why I thought, just assumed they can't cross the drainage.
Speaker 1: Otherwise of those ghosts can't across the draining, the.
Speaker 4: Aggy the Aggie Pipe, the Aggie drain. They can't cross that.
Speaker 1: I mean, I can't accept that the ghosts are confined to the baseball dive. Spend a lot of disbelief. Absolutely, absolutely, But and and the thing is, I do I've done it in Midnight in Paris. I've done it. And it's a wonderful life. I've done it. I just kind of questions just kept on taking me out of this movie to the point where when it got to its you know, emotional climax, I was just having a little bit of trouble. But one of the things I did love, and I think it has been widely regarded, is the speech that James L. Jones does give about his love of baseball and America's love of baseball.
Speaker 5: The one constant through all the years, Ray, it's been baseball America has ruled by like an army of steam rulers. It's been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball doesn't marked the time, this field, this game, it's a part of our past.
Speaker 1: Ray.
Speaker 5: It reminds us all that once was good a cook a game. Oh, people will come, Ray, people will most definitely come.
Speaker 1: It's funny to think back, especially James L. Jones giving him make America Great against bitch like. And I'm not saying he's saying it is from a Republican or a democratic point of view, but it reminds you that each generation, like, we always long for the better times. Now you can argue the world does seem completely fucking loopy now and maybe even maybe even more so a couple of years ago when Trump was in power. But it does this remind you that each generation thinks, you know, they long for the good old days they were they good, I mean.
Speaker 4: And this is again when when the daughter this is selling this dream that people will come here and maybe be able to reflect and dream about what America can be or what America was. They'll pay to sit on the sidelines and just sit in this cornfield and sort of and this is where again the brother in law's going, you.
Speaker 1: Gotta sell the farm. Ray, You're not gonna you know, I'm offering you one out here, Ray, And then the daughter goes hang on. He's like, hey, it tells the you know, the daughter to shut up. They're all telling her to shut up when she's got this idea. And I think she suggests maybe we could sell tickets to the Who's God? I come on? You know. And then this is obviously when he picks up you're turning your daughter mad ray and this picture up like a raggle and shakes her around. And this is when the hot dog happens. Yeah, that's a hot dog saying, So she falls off. She's we got to have noted that she's got a hot dog in her hand. I'm not sure we see her eating, but she's got a hot dog in her hand and she falls off. Yeah, there's obviously a bit of panic. Annie runs off the you know, I guess call a doctor. But then but then one of the ghost baseballers one a moonlight we'll get to talk about in the second. He is a doctor, and he starts walking over and raised like Annie stop and waits for the ghost doctor to basically smack her. He goes past the stone, so he turns human back to his human form into Burt Lancaster, and then he basically she's choking on a hot dog. She's no signs of choking. I don't know if you can choke without actually kind of like convulsing, or she's fallen off the bleachers as well, so she could and choking. Oh my god, I mean it's quite a predicament. Yeah. And then he whacks her on the back.
Speaker 2: We looks and goes, this child is choking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then and then, So what I would have done in that situation if I knew there's a ghost doctor coming up and my wife was running to call the ambulance, I would say, yeah, you keep going. I'm not going to put all my cards on the ghost doctor's pocket. I'm not betting all the chips on the ghost.
Speaker 4: Do There's no mobile phones, has to run to the house, so there's not the sort of like they're.
Speaker 1: Going to take a while, but every second count, so you go call it. You know whoa we're here, ghost dog, they have a crack. Yeah, see what you can find? You can find as it happens, Yeah, hot dog, and he can dislodges. Yeah, dislodges the hot dog.
Speaker 4: And and so and then the brother in law who wants to sell the field has now gone suddenly seen a doctor appear out of thin air, yes, and has gone.
Speaker 2: What he's like, ree, you cannot sell the fium.
Speaker 4: So it's now suddenly like you know, the brother who's has the bank lined up, everyone ready to foreclose on the tomorrow morning when the bank opens, You're losing this farm. He's all in now and then he's like, hang on. A ghost doctor appeared out of nowhere, and apparently you guys have been watching a baseball game.
Speaker 1: It goes they like, I need to lie down as a way of this getting rid of him, because he's no, you're gonna lie down. Yeah, we don't need him anymore. Go lie down? They go lie down. Yeah. Do you think the hot dogs? Hot dogs are synonymously with baseball? Yeah? So I was trying to think, Okay, he's at a metaphor that's just choking on a hot dog. But what's that saying if it was or is it a kind of a bit of.
Speaker 2: A game easy lodge? I think it's a lodge in your throat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, so again though, I think it's it's it's it's a missed opportunity for something, unless maybe it's saying something that I'm not aware of. But why, you know, in good films there are no accidents, you know, So why why was it a hot dog? Yeah? I just kind of think knowing that hot dogs in America, they ordered hot dogs at the baseball. Was it this irony they're going for me?
Speaker 4: It seems like it might be another cheap just to we need to We needed to recover very quickly, and an easy way for someone to recover in a movie is sort of dislodge the choking hazard, which is a small piece of hot dog.
Speaker 1: And then they didn't do the whole harmonic, the slow motion of the coming out of the mouth through the sky, so I would a lot to see that. And then one of the one of the shoeless Joe actually hit it into the cornfield.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, that's right. I mean they could have done that. This is maybe in the remake where the hot dog comes out. They not send me to the cornfield and says something, says something like, you know.
Speaker 1: All of our ideas are available for the remake, please take them. Is Terence Is he dead at the end?
Speaker 4: Do you think, well, this is the writer who he's gone to Boston to collect to bring back to the cornfield. And then the ghosts of room say would you like to come see what's in the cornfield?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And Kevin Coston goes, hang on, I built.
Speaker 2: This, not didn't ask for anything, And yeah, I want.
Speaker 1: To go and see what's in the corn found. They're like, you know, you're not invited. You're not invited, and they invite the writer.
Speaker 2: Does that mean does he die then or is he always a ghost?
Speaker 1: Or well, there's a theory that it's a fan theory that he could be dead because he gets that phone call from his dad in the hotel room where there was concerns it was written in the paper that he had an answer his phone for a few days. But the fact is he is with Kevin Costner, so maybe he hadn't he maybe died from that moment onwards. But I don't think it stacks up. I don't think it stacks up because I think there are times when he is seen by other characters. He's certainly seen by the brother in law. I think they shake hands. You can't see, so I think he's alive. But then does he he does his turn into a ghost. So maybe they should earn his body, maybe should have a heart attack. I don't know, But again I feel like it's not knowing and not at least the writer might know and the director might know. But as an audience member, I'm unclear. What's what the rules of the game are here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there are no rules.
Speaker 4: Is very Yeah, it doesn't seem We've got a baseball field where ghost Baseball has come to play each other and there are fun bunch of guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not sort of creepy to have what the men playing baseball your daughter six year old Daughtereah, Yeah, I mean I've got they're working with children's check and they're all having fun, you know, and there's a couple of wise crackers, like real we got sick of practicing, so I invited a few more friends alone. And he's been invited the whole of the New York Dead New York Yankees, the Ghost Yankees, to play the You know, this is like, wow, this is this is fun because the weird idea about Terrence kind of becoming seemingly becoming a ghost and heading off into the cornfield, and I assume that's what's happened. How they then explained itself in the real word about how he dies, I don't know. I don't know. I'm not sure if they know. But I thought his journey was really about him rediscovering his passion for writing, not that he was had had a longing for the afterworld or the afterlife. Maybe his inspiration would come from the afterlife. But then how does he write again, I'm just a bit fused.
Speaker 4: Maybe what they can take a mortal into the corn to show on what's there.
Speaker 1: Maybe he just needed it. I don't know. Maybe he comes back.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of unanswered things in this movie.
Speaker 1: Again, I think they just wanted to get rid of him because they want this moment of father and son. That's so they're trying to get rid of all the characters. You got to lie down, you go in the corn and he takes Karen back in I think to the House for Memory. I think to get rid of her then too. So they've pretty much had gotten rid of everyone. Let's let's talk about Moonlight played by Burt Lancaster. So they go to the Fenway Park and I forget why they thought something was having a Fenway pack. I'm sure it's there. I'm not saying it's not OUs forgotten.
Speaker 4: He just has a feeling that he's got to take James L. Jones to the Fenway Park, sit in these particular seats and watch a game, and then something will be answered.
Speaker 1: Famous Maybe that's to ease his pain. Yea famous Boston Stadium. Fun facts in the crowd that night. We're young Matt Daane and young Ben Affleck. Yeah, and when Ben Affleck worked with the director on Some of All Fears, he said to him, nice to work with you again. So they go there and there's on the scoreboard finally is Moonlight carricter name. We like Graham And in fact they only played one game and never batted. And you got to look like you've got to know baseball a little bit to pick those things. That's true, true story, This is a true character. Yeah. So he they leave the stadium. James L. Jones Terrence Man says that he can't he didn't hear the voice which was saying, now go to the distance another clue, and then he says he can't hear it. He didn't see the schoolboard. He said, well, there's not what you're being here.
Speaker 2: Because Kevin Coss has been given these two new sort of code.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he's the only one who heard it, apparently. So they leave. I did like the way it was kind of played out a little bit where he jumped in the car, left him alone, did a bit of a U turn and he's just in the middle of the road and he says, like Graham, he says, yeah, and then you heard that, yeah, yeah, And then he gets out of the car. But I'm still a bit confused whether he was lying about Oh, he's just putting it together almost as an afterthought, you know, almost like it's just coming back to him that he saw it. Because when Costner season on the scoreboard and Ray sees it. The second time I watched it, I kept an eye on James L. Jones and he doesn't move, he doesn't like there's no sense that he's playing the moment even away from from Kevin Costner. And then so and then the way he plays it out in the street, it's like it's coming to him in that moment that he wasn't necessarily lying, but now it's coming to him.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I mean this is sort of now becoming at the moment where Kevin Costner's assembling a misfit group of sort of he's going to go around the country now collecting people because he's been given these clues. So now he's got James Old Jones says I've heard MOONLIGHTO yeah, and then so he's going, I'm coming with you. Now we've got to go and collect Moonlight. Yes, it's like assembling Ocean's eleven. So we've got to go, We've got to go. We've got to go and get Moonlight now to come. So we got that, and they go to another town to find Moonlight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, who's still alive, Still alive and played by Burt Lancaster in his last film role. Apparently apparently what like was kept on asking Timothy Busfield, who plays the brother in law, really very good actor, was great in West Wing, played Danny in The West Wing. Like they kept getting asking to get Hi coffees and move chairs, not realizing that he was actually in the movie. And yeah, and he's very good. But there's a weird thing where Ray now is transported back to like nineteen seventy two because he sees The Godfather playing, which is released in nineteen seventy two, and it says one of this year's again his division is that and that's very that's as close to mid night in Paris as this movie kind of comes. Where he is just like transported and he's walking the streets of nineteen seventy two Minnesota and he sees Moonlight, who's quite a gentleman. Open for a chat, happy to kind of come by. Meanwhile, I think Terrence is chatting to people in this bar. Now apparently all those people he's chatting to people who knew the real Moonlight Graham. Oh, and they're like and they're all real stories about the blue hats and all these little details. So I already like that as an idea. So Moonlight Graham is a true character. He existed, and he did and he played the one game, and he did go back to his hometown and supported kids with eyewear or orthopedic.
Speaker 2: The American Fred Hollows, Yeah, he was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, the Moonlight Hopefully there's a Moonlight Graham Foundation. I'm not sure if you want American the I'm not sure they do that. Surprisingly, yeah, and they he goes back to their house and he learns a little bit about Moonlight. Let's have it listen, Burt Lancaster, Kevin Costner.
Speaker 3: It was like having this close to you and then watched them brush past you like a stranger in the ground. At the time, you don't think much of it, you know, we just don't recognize the most significant moments of our lives were happening back then. I thought, well, there'll be other days. I didn't realize that that was the only day. And now, recon Seller, I want to ask you a question. What's so interesting about a happenn inning that would make you come all the way from Iowa to talk to me about it fifty years after it happened.
Speaker 6: I didn't really know till just now. But I think it's to ask you if you could do anything you wanted, if you could have a wish, and the other kind of a man who could grant me that wish? I don't know, I'm I'm just asking.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, I I never got to bat in the major least. I don't like to hit that chance just once to stare down a big lead picture, to stare him down him and just as he goes into its wind up quick they can think you know something he doesn't. That's what I wish for chance to squid that the sky is so blue that it hushed your eyes just to look at it, To feel the tingle in your arm as you connect with the ball. There on the basis, stretch a double into a trimmal and flap face first into third, wrap your arms around the back.
Speaker 1: That's my wish. We can sell them.
Speaker 3: That's my wish. And is there enough magic out there in the moonlight to make this read come true? What would you say if I said yes, I think I'd actually believe you.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's some great speeches and moments. I mean that is that's fantastic, that's great.
Speaker 4: I loved them, and as a moment to sort of something to live by that you don't know when these moments have come and gone, and you do have to live in the moment, and it is important to live in the moment.
Speaker 2: And that's what I took out of that speech.
Speaker 4: He's like, oh, yeah, you don't know where if this is one of those points in your life where it's the sliding door that he goes this way or go that way, and that Yeah, that is a great speech, along along with James L.
Speaker 1: Jones's speeches, and you know in the moment at the end.
Speaker 4: But then see, I'm confused because on the way he decides it's not worth coming back to this baseball field. I won't go with you, Rayken Siller, but I believe you could. But I can't leave my wife and I've got work here, and sorry, I'm not going to come and play baseball with you.
Speaker 1: So James L.
Speaker 4: Jones Kevin Costner decided to go back to the field, and in the meantime, the wife's dealing with the bank but not wanting to get while he's on his mission, but they're about to fore close on the bank, so she gets on to him.
Speaker 2: He says, look, I'm coming home. She says, well, you've got to come home.
Speaker 4: The bank's about to four close, and he goes, I'll come home, but I just got to drop James L.
Speaker 1: Jones back in Boston, and James Jones says, oh, no, I'm coming with you. I am your father.
Speaker 4: I've got to see this field, and he goes, we're coming home. So they decide to go home to the baseball field, leaving the good doctor who's only played one game ye in his life there, But they pick up a hitchhiker on the way home, a young.
Speaker 1: Who sees to me from another generation almost immediately, but which way you go on? We're going? We're going to know, I suppose just take me his lest time. I'm a beast. I'm just a guy. And they're like, what are you traveling for? A kid? I just heard you can you can pick up games a baseball in anytime your golf too.
Speaker 2: And they go, yeah, we might know a place where we can do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I felt that was again there. It was just moments where they're a little bit too on the nose for mine, and that was one of them. I did, wonder, you do want that moment I've been like coming out and playing. Otherwise there's no point of having him in the movie, but I did wonder. Doesn't work if they don't pick him up. But he emerges from the cornfield. This kid, this kid again is this kid? This kid's a ghost, this kid's are now. Yeah, he's a rookie, the one like the rookie. And this is where they've had to tie themselves in knots to make this work because there's no other point where Kevin Costs the time travels to another time period and we don't know why he has but he's also he's in nineteen seventy two having a conversation with Moonlight Graham, who's who's in nineteen seventy two. So in the eighty ninety is dead, yeah, but in seventy two is in life. So that's what they had to have Kevin cost to go into nineteen seventy two, despite not explaining how I to talk to Moonlight to have that speech. We just heard that, yes, to have that speech.
Speaker 2: And then they pick up this hitchhiker who's a kid, which we don't know.
Speaker 1: They give him. He's got some other name there, yeah, Archie. And then and we kind of we feel there might be a connection. And then I kind of, yeah, I kind of figured that once they got there. So that's Moonlight.
Speaker 2: So Archie arrives at the field and sees all these he goes.
Speaker 1: On that that's a shoeless Joe and that's also and that's oh my god.
Speaker 2: And they go get your kid on, kid, you want to?
Speaker 4: You want to and he's like oh, So he goes to bat and then this kid, Hey, Rookie, can you.
Speaker 1: You always one of the the way you described that, you know, I was like, it's one of the ones. Just just you know, line up and give him a wink to know that I'm you know, I'm in the game.
Speaker 4: And then sort of this kid's lined up and then sort of up against one of a major league picture, Yeah, give.
Speaker 1: Against knuckles and knuckles fire at his noggin. Yeah. Yeah, So I kind of think that moment didn't play like again, I think if if Moonlight as a kid comes to the into the game, imagine if he comes to the game, goes to the mound, you want to you want to have hit. Sure, and we don't know who he is yet, you know, just a rookie kid, just a rookie. And then we're there and we've seen wink and the picture back to Costner, it's my Graham. That's a moment. That's the moment. You missed that moment. They kind of bundled a bit by that because they make it that comedy. And then he kind of hits it, you know, and Leotto calls him over a supers joke him over and says, Okay, he's done this twice now, you know, but what's he going to do next. He's going to go left and lower whatever it is. And yeah, and it's all that, but it's like, yeah, that's all baseball jargon, but it's they missed the emotion.
Speaker 4: And then this is the kid which turns out to be the hot dog doctor dis Lodger.
Speaker 1: Yes, so that's when this.
Speaker 4: Kid rookie who he has this doctor knowledge in him already even though he's a rookie.
Speaker 1: So he hasn't he hasn't done any of the study.
Speaker 4: So when he steps over the pebbles into the world where he can't go back, he's got all this knowledge of the doctor who died in the.
Speaker 1: Yes, so I guess once he goes over the stones, he does become knowledgeable in order. And yeah, so he just now lives in eighty nine, probably homeless, because you know he lives. He's become he's come out of ghost world into I think I thought he came into ghost into human being.
Speaker 4: Yeah, as an old doctor with only a leather bag to his name.
Speaker 1: As an instrumented it's just just a leather bag.
Speaker 4: Can't fit a defibrillator a leather bag these days. So yeah, there's a few, there's a lot of there are a lot of This is where you do have to go.
Speaker 1: I'm just going to go along for this ride, and you you have to. And I really like obviously I've had some issues with it. I did not want anyone, including yourself, Dave, who had you know you had an emotional reaction to enjoy. I don't want anyone to. This is a discussion about a film that we're still processing and It's a very special film to many people, and I really, I really, sincerely wish I have not dented that, because if you enjoyed, don't stop enjoying it. No, because you know, and I think if I had if this comes out when I'm fourteen, if I'd have seen it when i was fourteen, this would have blown me away, and I'm sure it would be one of my favorite films. I wouldn't have questioned all the things that I've watched that I've questioned today. Then this week it was a period of ghost movies. Really ghost was one of the one of the big ones.
Speaker 4: But there was a ghost and obviously Field Dreams, and then a little bit later I see Dead People.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sixth sense, sixth sense? Yeah, so you know me spoilers, Oh damn it. If you haven't seen podcast is a podcast of spoilers. Certainly the film that we're discussing. They all know you put a spoiler morning at the time that we don't. You don't know, we don't because everybody knows now if we they've read what the podcast is, they're listening to it. We did it early on in the show's life, but now I get people telling me they often listen to the podcast before they watched a movie, just to see that.
Speaker 4: They think, well, there's like one hundred and twenty episodes in of your podcast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so so sometimes I listen to it. If it sounds like, you know, a fun movie, they'll go watch it. Yeah, with all the spoilers. Is fun. It is a fun movie. It's it's worth watching. And you might not have any And please let me know. Get on to our speak part through the page and leave a message for us and let us know why am I wrong about Field Dreams? What did you love about Field of Dreams? When did you watch it? How did you watch it? And I would love to hear what Field Dreams means to you, because I want to be very clear that I do know it means a lot to a lot of people. It does.
Speaker 2: I mean live in the moment and live your dream.
Speaker 1: And it's I feel like it's one of those kind of emotional, kind of emotional comfort movies.
Speaker 2: And maybe heaven is right in front of you, like for me right now.
Speaker 1: Well, funnily enough, one of the questions I was going to ask you to start was, like you were in the studio looking across from it, is this heaven. This is so weird? Is this heaven? You know? I do so to go? Wow? This may bee? This is Evan. A few fun facts. Shoeless Joe was a left hander. Leotta plate it right hand. Was allowed to play it right handed because that was his natural swing, had some training, but yeah, Shutless Joe was. In fact, they could have flipped the footage right. We just flip it in after effects or something like that in Utopia. Flip it.
Speaker 4: They flip the whole of Utopia. I'm actually right, you'll see it, and I'm writing right handed. Yeah, it's all left handed.
Speaker 1: I knew there's a joke in there about that Sutless Joe makes about ty Cobb not being invited because you know they can stand him. Ty Cobb and Shutless Joe actually good friends in real life and later on in life after the White Sox scandal of nineteen nineteen. So basically they the owners weren't paying enough. So that reference earlier about the owners and the lights, and you know he has our bloody owners whatever he says. That makes more sense when you understand that the owners were underpaying them back in ninety nineteen. Obviously very tough times, so they end up taking bribes from you know, I assumed gangsters to throw a series, you know, and it's hard to when people are you know, based on the poverty line, not getting paid. You kind of go, well, you know, well this.
Speaker 4: Is that was an interesting fact too with the lights, because the ghost comes back and goes, why why are you turning on lights on a baseball field? And he says, well, because the owners decided you could get more people. Yeah, after work, come and see the game. So we've got under lights, which makes a lot of.
Speaker 1: Sense, makes a lot of sense. Yeah, right. And then Shoeless Joe was working in a liquor store years after the scandal and ty Cobb came in and Shoeless Joe did not kind of say anything, and Tykup eventually said, don't you recognize me? Shoeless Joe said, sure, I do, Tie, I just didn't think anyone wanted to remember me anymore. Also, I mentioned a bit earlier when Kevin Costna says to Ghost that that he calls him dad, and the ghost that doesn't freak out or anything. No, you know, he's just like texting his ghostly form. He's a bit chill, this ghost. But apparently what happened was the testing audiences didn't like that he didn't acknowledge him as his dad, and they even somewhere confused as to who that figure was. I think it's pretty bloody obvious it's his dad. If you've been paying attention the movies, we've actually seen images of him earlier, so they did put that reference in. Also, the audiences had the original title of the book, which is called Shoeless because it's more based on which I understand also because I feel like it is more raised story than yes. Yes, yeah. So the director a bit nervously rang the author of the book and saying the studio wanted to change it to a Field of Dreams, and the author said he didn't actually care. He's original title, in fact was dream Field Kid, and the publishing company made him change it the shoeless. Wow, So that's spooky. There's a little bit of spookiness. The director and writer of the movie regretted there being no black characters in the teams. It has been put to him that black palt layers that didn't play baseball back then, but he said, yes, but they should have been included in the people who were banned. So yeah, we know Shoeless Joe's band. We could have found out who were like the black players, or even if they were fictitious, have back as a representation that black come.
Speaker 2: Out of the cornfield and been people who this is.
Speaker 1: You know that, and they make the point of black players, black Americans, we're not allowed to play baseball from eighteen eighty four to nineteen forty seven.
Speaker 4: The test that they run through films, that's called these days, it's just set. There's enough sort of sort of roles for women.
Speaker 1: Like I don't know, there's a famous one with women about how about conversations that I had without but between two women without mentioning men. And there's a name for that. I'm sure it applies with I mean, this movie wouldn't pass a whole lot of tests if you ran it through the it is just white men?
Speaker 2: Yeah, how many? Just two baseballs?
Speaker 1: Is there a woman? Isn't it? Is she a nagging wife? She's not nagging. It's funny that character because I really love the fact that she's not nagging. But I feel like she needed the nag for the sake of the movie. The nagging he said a little bit or some concern or some you know, like yeah, also Tom Hanks is off at the roll Knock the Back Radiotta has never sadly, had never seen a movie a few years ago, so I don't know if he caught it. He never know because his mother, I think his father had passed away and he went to take his mother to the premiere and it was just too much at that stage, so they left and he's just never he had never seen it, So I'd like, I don't know if he saw it in the last couple of years of his life, and he passed away a couple of years ago. Maybe needs to be the sequel.
Speaker 4: Could be someone's got to make a cinema so dead actors can come and see the movies that they never saw while they were alive. You know, build it and they will come. This could be your next movie. That is, it's not the worst idea in the world. Similar this guy has a dream, builds a home cinema, like a proper full size cinema of dreams. Cinemas are dying around the world because the streaming came along. Cinemas all around the world are dying. So he builds a cinema and old school cinema so Humphrey Bogart comes and watch his movie.
Speaker 1: What's this CAUs a blanker?
Speaker 4: Yeah, suddenly the popcorn machine starts going on its own and hang on a second, that starts.
Speaker 1: The film starts wirrying. Paul Walker comes out, watches all the fast and furious films since they went to the Moon, what they went to space? I haven't seen that. I'm only about sorry, he gets he gets it gets weird. Don't look at that.
Speaker 4: Actually this is maybe cut this out of the podcast, because is actually a pretty good idea and maybe we should should write this. I don't know what to call it.
Speaker 1: Cinema of Dreams. I mean, you have great you know the cinema parody so which is a brilliant film. There's one actually, Emperor I Have Light, which is Sam Mender's more recently, which kind of went by nobody really spoke about. It had such a great cast and it was it was great. So chances the Empire, Emperor I Have Dreams. I think it's was the Empire Dreams something like that. Check that out, hey, mate, Before we we wrap up Utopia, congratulations smashed it again. It's great to have it back. Great, I love it. I love I love watching it and I love being in it.
Speaker 4: It's one of those great jobs because you get to see all everyone else's great acting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 4: And it's one of those things that people come up to me and go, Utopia, can't watch it.
Speaker 1: It's too frustrating. Yeah, it's It's one of those some people can't watch The Office because of similar read like the particularly the English version, because it's like it's I've had a boss like that. It's too kind of it's too much if you work in that world. I can imagine, and I don't, but I can imagine. It kind of is a bit too close to the bone, I think.
Speaker 4: So it's one of those jobs that in a you know, as a kid wanting to be an act to whatever, if someone, if a ghost came up to me and said, I'll give you one job. You can work with the team from Working Dog. You can be Rob Stitch's sort of right hand man in a series.
Speaker 1: But that's all you get to do. I'm going to play a waider.
Speaker 4: Can you throw in something else like a waiter? And I love you too. I would go done throwing the waiter and that will be I'm done. I don't need to do any more happy days. So I mean being very lucky again, like even with all the little bits and pieces, like even doing those Toyota ads that I did for is this true you.
Speaker 1: Were offer those Toyota aids. A Curry loves telling people about this.
Speaker 4: This is because I think I got got invited to audition for these ads down the track where they had Curry. They just needed someone else to go with Curry, so you and usual anyway, this is another no podcast.
Speaker 1: It meet me Hughsy and I said no, but you know what on paper they might have been. But I honestly believe it's like I've said, notice certain stuff and then looked at it and kind of gone, oh, should I have said? You know, but I reckon when I say notice something is for always for a reason, you know what I mean. And we just kind of thought at the time it just wasn't It wasn't quite for us. And I think usually you get the casts that you need, you know. And I think what you and Steve did with those ads I think are quite different to what me and Hughsy probably would have done. And I think they got the right people.
Speaker 4: I mean, again, I'm very grateful that you turn those down, because that's another one of those ads, just like.
Speaker 1: You, I don't like to think about it too much, one of.
Speaker 4: Those as one of those ads that you go, look here, here's you and your mate can go and kick to kick with the legend and we'll give your Grand Final tickets every year and a little bit of spending money as well. You go, all right, I'll do that. And as long as you're throwing that, I love you too. Waiter, I'm done. Then I'm done that Utopia then I'm all good.
Speaker 1: And a short film with Peter, a short film and only short film as a director can direct me and something can I can? I please be? And just quickly you mentioned your your wonderful partner Sarah's and you were around the we may mention to it for in case people missed it. You were wondering what we were talking about. You were over there for part of the final season of Succession, and boy did they knock it out of the park. I mean, we know how hard it is, the land end of I mean that love show. That's a great show. We talk about you Topia, that's a great show. But and my other part of my life is I'm a trophy husband. Let's it's going to be the trophy husband. There's not enough of them. I want to make. I want to have more tropy husbands in my lifetime. I'm a trophy husband.
Speaker 4: So she's she's in the show Succession, which and plays the oldest daughter, and she's like incredible.
Speaker 1: Like, if you haven't seen Succession, you need to watch it. And if you're not aware of Sarah's work, you should be. She is like Cate Blanchett Merror good Like, she's like like just she could not do any better in scenes like you're going to go, she's just sucking the part that's it's ridiculous. Does that annoy you because you're not at that level? I'm not, never will, but I don't want to be. You. I get such a kick out of watching her do it.
Speaker 4: Yeah you may, and then you you know, because you will practice the lines and I get to put on all the voices which I'm not.
Speaker 1: She puts up with you know, well, you're one of half. You're not serious people. I could just not normally so I can learn it. But she will do it a couple of times.
Speaker 4: You go, great, done, and then when you see what she does, you go where did that even come from?
Speaker 1: And then can turn it off straight away. It's not like doesn't bring it home or yeah done. It's like that's a relief, isn't It.
Speaker 2: Goes back to playing ukulele and then goes on and does.
Speaker 1: But she's great. So that's you know, part of you know, I get to sort of watch that and I remember seeing her Predestination.
Speaker 2: That's an amazing film.
Speaker 1: First time I think that's seen her before, but it was the first time I've really seen her in something. It was like, that was fucking genuinely mind blowing. You haven't seen that Predestination fantastic kind of Ossie.
Speaker 4: Ethan Hawk that was her first, one of her first sort of films. I think Out of Night it was, yeah, movie with Ethan Hawk, and she's yeah.
Speaker 1: She plays a drill role, so she's playing maybly two people in it, and it is a phenomenal piece of acting. And you see that and everything else kind of makes sense. You kind of go, oh, that's why she's so good in succession if you yeah, So, what was it like this being around like that I saw on Instagram? You there's some dinners, you know that it seemed like a good tight crew really really nice and felt really nice to sort of be welcomed into it because they've been doing it for a couple of seasons. So then when I also did really want to navigate pandemics and yeah, well that's what the second third season. Yeah, they Yeah, it was during the when it was all sort of very tight lockdown and they were sort of had to go off to separate booths and but yeah, it was, it was.
Speaker 4: It was really great to watch and just to watch how they do it. I mean that's shot on film as well to that succession.
Speaker 1: They go to the locations like You've got the man the Lauri and who shoot in the studio and it's like fake, this is all. They go to Norway and they go to wherever they want to. I think, like the private jets.
Speaker 4: The interior of the private jets are in a studio at this point and is disappointing.
Speaker 2: And I don't think that helicopter ever takes off the ground.
Speaker 4: They're allowed to take off off the ground, so they're just sort of ducking.
Speaker 1: No, you don't duck.
Speaker 4: This is what billionaires don't duck when they exit a helicopter because they're so used to it. You know us people who've only gone helicopter once or twice when you get out will duck because the blades might take their heads off. But if you've traveled on helicopters, you And here's the other thing. Billionaires they don't really wear big overcoats because they don't they go from a car to a so quickly, so quickly.
Speaker 1: So these are billionaire secrets.
Speaker 2: But you know, it's really nice to sort of just to be.
Speaker 4: Able to sit there by because I love the process of making how watching people make TV or film.
Speaker 1: So to be able to sit at the split.
Speaker 4: And just watch them just do take up to take and all the ad libs and all all the bits and pieces of what changes from the script. It was just it was I really really enjoyed watching it. But you know, it's just it's an amazing show too. And I mentioned this on the way we drove in together. But this one of my great joys in lockdown was to see your your beaming, smiling face on the screen. Behind was a Jimmy Kimmel or Jimmy kim Kimmel who was hosting the Golden.
Speaker 1: Globes and you were there, and I was like, what the loss losses on the Gloves or the Emmys or whatever it was. It was how many text messages did you get by?
Speaker 4: There was a few, because it was this was it was described to us because it was a lockdown. So Sarah was living with me because she was lockdown here and I and she'd lived with me plenty of times before, so I just stayed my house, you know, and there was never anything sort of weird.
Speaker 1: It was never like we're falling in love.
Speaker 2: With each other. So for her, it was just like you stayed my house.
Speaker 4: And then the Emmy's came along, and it was a really exciting day because they've got the zoom and they said, look, there's going to be two hundred people on a thumbnail behind Jimmy Kimmel, and so, you know, she was on the screen and I didn't want to be on there because I thought, look at this is your moment. And then she said, just sit here and watch it so we can watch it together and it's not going to be big. And then when the broadcast came up, it was I think they must have assumed that she was going to be over his right shoulder, because she shuffled across.
Speaker 1: Like me, and the thumbnail of me was as big as Jimmy Kimmel.
Speaker 4: So I'm suddenly I've realized seeing that the feed, the live feed of the Emmys, that I'm over his shoulder as big as him.
Speaker 1: Seriously, like you were the one, not just because I know you, You're the first. My eye was drawn to you first, so I was there. It was not yet you were just there. It was there, and it.
Speaker 4: Couldn't you know, this is this big broadcast millions of people watching as sort of the Emmys. And then because it's I tried to sort of move behind him, but because things were reversed on the camera, you know, on the zoom camera, because I moved left, it was actually moving me more into frame.
Speaker 1: So it looked like this part of you played in your eddy.
Speaker 4: I wish i'd sort of slowly tried to just duck down and escape, but it wasn't just a quick shot. I was kind of sitting on his shoulder like Jiminy Cricket. For the opening monologue of the of the Emmys, which Sarah lost to Julia Garner. She's lost to Julia Gana twice, so not that I don't think she cares, but now I'll take that in episode.
Speaker 1: That's why I'm not having Garanner on the show. I don't not have Ghana apparently great in Ozak. I haven't seen it. She hasn't.
Speaker 4: She doesn't actually genuinely doesn't seem to care when it's like, well you didn't get the Emmy.
Speaker 1: It's it's an Emmy would But you know, I've only met Sarah once actually, and I was very thrilled to meet her at the at a Mardi Gras party, like just just pre pandemic. Actually yeah, right, I met both Sarah and Richard Roxborough, who I hadn't met either. It's kind of separately the same party become of you, and just like wow, that was like just thrilled to meet Sarah cause I had been a fan since Predestination and I said love Succession, and then Richard Roxburgh obviously we're all massive fans off so it was yeah, but she seems very chill about the whole, you know, like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think so I think there was. I think because she's been nominated again for Lead Actress for Succession, but because of the strikes, was going to miss out ongoing. But for me, I would have been It's devastating because you don't get to go to the Emmy when you've been nominated.
Speaker 1: But Jesus, well, that's.
Speaker 4: You know, because she's doing a play next year in London. So and she's doing I just realized STC. She's doing Dory and Gray that is I'll tell you what. There's a few characters in that too to play.
Speaker 1: So I saw Laddy Melbourne the first kind of well still in the first time I played in Melbourne, and that is a tour de force of a role. And yeah, the performance I saw was amazing. I apologize. I'll try to get the name because I saw the understudy Nikky. I'm going to get it. I'm going to get it and I'll within the outro. It is amazing. And when then when I saw Sarah, I was doing it in Sydney and the STC I think she did in London. In London, I was doing in London like that is that will be where if you're in London with your tickets now, because I imagine she's not doing it for you know, three months, you know, it was about yeah, maybe three month, two months, three months. Yeah, grab tickets for that because it's one of the most amazing. It's as an amazing as Hamilton for me, like.
Speaker 4: People, we haven't seen it, but when you go, it's a one one person show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, playing twenty six characters. Twenty six characters, there's multi media stuff going on. It is. It is mind blowing, and I think for the when the opportunity came up, it was just this seems great. So that's me. I'm going to be.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm a I'm a plus one trophy husband and.
Speaker 1: Keep that going, keep that going. I do joke. You are one of my favorite performers. You are effortless, you Kevin cost in the kind of way you and I don't like using the term effortless because I must say someone's in reviews of my stand up gets thrown at me, which is obviously a compliment, but sometimes people don't realize the work that goes into making something look effortless, so I say it knowingly. But you do make it all lot very efflet You're very natural. Thank you. I appreciate. It's nice to hear. And now you finished at Toyota Race, because I might.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you what though, if they called up, i'd The problem is we're older than the legends.
Speaker 1: Now we're not. That's why I don't work anymore.
Speaker 4: You can't have two old blokes kicking kick to kick with Dane Swan or something.
Speaker 1: Here we are. This comes with homework. I appreciate you doing it, and yeah, we'll see you again soon. Thanks Pete. If you build it, he will come. There you go. That was my great mate Dave Lawson, funny bloke. Love hanging out with him. Let me know what you thought of that episode. I mean, I hopefully you did. You enjoyed it. For a start, it was the first episode of You Ain't Seeing Nothing Yet where I had watched a movie, a classic movie that I hadn't seen before, and obviously neither of my guests has. But sometimes I've seen them and sometimes I haven't. I hadn't seen Feel the Dreams. It was highly anticipated for me, one of the films I've been embarrassed I hadn't seen. I think I was waiting for my kids to get to the age where I was going to watch it with them. I was gonna watch it on Father's Day, like I said, we never got it around to it, and then I was watching it for the podcast. I watched it by myself, and it was just a tiny bit underwhelmed, a tiny bit underwhelmed, and I felt when Dave said he loved it, I didn't want to talk him out of it. That's not the point of it, but I did need to discuss this is ingenuous for me to pretend to I love the film when I thought there were a lot of holes in the film, not to say it isn't a touching film. And if you have if your father's no longer with you, I can see how this would absolutely tear right through you. I really do. And despite it's failings, I think in a lot of the film, the end does hit even even you haven't gone along for the ride as much as they would want you to. Thank you to Dave, let me know what you think. Go to our speak pipe. I'd love to get your voices on the show and they out backing up a little bit. I will play some more next week, I promise, Or you can send me an outline at Yasney podcast dot com next week on the show. It's a big one. We going further back. We are going further back with a man who has done exceptional things both here and more so abroad. When I say a broad Broadway, yeah, he's the creator and writer of Beetlejuice to Musical Ossie. Audiences know him from all of his stage appearances over the years. He was on Offspring and he's just one of our great talents. It is the great Eddie Perfect. We'll be joining me next week, and we're going further back. We are going further back. And American in Paris, that's right, And American in Paris predates Singing in the Rain. I think it was made the year or two before Singing in the Rain. And I cannot wait to watch it another one. I feel like we're really piling up this season. Another movie I have not seen that I'll be watching for the first time. Cannot wait. An American in Paris with an Aussie in Melbourne with any Perfect next week. And you won't say nothing yet until then. Take care. And so we leave old Pete save Van Salt, and to our friends of the radio audience, we've been a pleasant good night.