Speaker 1: Are you read The Pickup with Britt Hockley and Laura.
Speaker 2: Burn Radio work? Our windows down, my worl ris in the dust? Only good babuzzle down.
Speaker 3: I don't much, but yeah, our big get and what a wat It don't matter where radd This is the pick Up.
Speaker 4: Hello guys, It's the pick Up with Britt Harkley and Laura Burn. Happy first day back to work everyone, you poor things?
Speaker 2: Is it a happy day?
Speaker 4: I don't know, but we have a very special show because this is our very first ever cross continental or cross continent record for the pickup. We do it quite a bit on our on our podcast Life on cart But Britt is currently not here.
Speaker 3: No I I heard the news about the Pope, so they flew me to Italy to be the correspondent on the ground. I have a strong connection to the Pope, so I have come to Italy. No I happened to be in Italy when the Pope passed away. I did not get flown here for that, but what a crazy time. So my fiance Ben lives in Italy. He plays for a football team over here, and I was being the dedicated fiance and it was going to be my first game that I got to watch of his team.
Speaker 2: He plays for a team called Genoa.
Speaker 3: And it was supposed to be yesterday and we're all gearing up for the game, and then very sadly, the Pope passed away and everything stopped. Everything shut down, the football matches were canceled, everything was closing, the streets went into morning. It's been a really wild time.
Speaker 4: I think you were our opportunistic correspondent, but at least we had We actually do have someone on the ground, which is more than what most radio shows can say. And I know that there's one person in the studio here with me, Producer Grace, who has been There's no one in Australia who follows pope stories like you do.
Speaker 2: Grace. Grace is dialed.
Speaker 5: In weirdly fascinated by the whole thing, Like the whole idea that the country goes into mourning for nine days and then there's a conclave and his body gets lie in state and paraded around.
Speaker 2: It's a whole thing, it really.
Speaker 4: I mean, he's a very very sad for a lot of people. I understand that as well, but like, yeah, I mean I think I don't want to say that. Maybe people were expecting that it was gonna happen because he was so unwell for so long, he had double pneumonia.
Speaker 2: He lasted longer than a lot of people thought he was going to.
Speaker 3: He was seen the day before he passed away. He was outside greeting people and he was blessing people. And I think that's why it was such a shock, because people thought, oh, he must be feeling better.
Speaker 2: But in terms of the streets in Italy.
Speaker 3: They have his like all of you know when you can project images onto walls and things like.
Speaker 2: That, so his images of his face everywhere.
Speaker 3: They have his face everywhere. And it's a pretty amazing time, a potentially amazing time because we could see the first Asian or Black pope, which will be so historical.
Speaker 4: There's rules around it, isn't there, Like where do they have to be within? Like can anyone become a pope or they have to be with me in ministry?
Speaker 5: Ethnically, any Catholic man can become the pope, but it's usually between like one hundred and fifty cardinals or something that are under eighty years old.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it makes sense to have him under eighty. There has to be a caveat, doesn't there? Yes, we are talking hall passes, and that is because it is no secret on this show or anywhere in fact that for years I have been saying that Jason Momoa was my hall pass.
Speaker 3: Well, hang on, no, you've been saying Jason Momo fair since the day I met you six seven years ago. Jason Momo was your hall pass until about twelve months ago. It took a turn, yeah, and you decided you didn't like him anymore.
Speaker 4: I've always referred to him as a man that you could climb, and I just like, he's so far out of the remit of any person I've ever dated. Like he's not my quote unquote type. Don't get me wrong, he doesn't look anything like my husband, Like I wouldn't kick him out of a bed, But there's I just find him fascinating. I just like I think ever since the Game of Thrones that he was in what was he in?
Speaker 2: There was a well, he was in Baywatch.
Speaker 4: No, he was in that series where it was like this big warlord thing. I think it was Thrones the first season. Anyway, ever since then, I was like, oh, hello, well turns out he's in town. That's what we're talking about, guys. So Jason Momoa. He's currently the face of Newie ice Cream, which I'm in great promotion for new I'd love to know how much money they have to have him as the number one ambassador.
Speaker 2: But have a listen to this.
Speaker 4: He's currently in Queensland at the Crumban Wildlife Sanctuary.
Speaker 6: Hello everyone, I'm Jason Momore and I'm at the Curumban Wildlife Hospital. Did you know that koalas are now endangered?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 6: Newie ice Cream are huge supporters of koala conservation and so they flew me down here so they can meet with amazing teams that are helping out with our choalers, so we can have him for the next generation. Let's go and check it out.
Speaker 4: So I thought I was off him, but now I'm back on him because he's now he's here to save the koalas.
Speaker 2: Good for Jason.
Speaker 3: Oh that there is something about looking at that man mountain holding that little koala and you're like, yeah, okay, you're backing my good books.
Speaker 4: My question to you, though, it is Britt is like, what are the rules around hall passes? Not because I need to know them for myself. I think we're okay. I don't think that my husband has anything to worryorry about.
Speaker 2: But I wonder.
Speaker 4: Is a hall pass, like if you joke about a hall pass, Like, is it actually a real thing. Do people have hall passes in their relationships that you would allow your person to step outside like the monogamy of your relationship to hook up with a celebrity or is it only that we're okay with having hall passes because they are completely unattainable.
Speaker 3: Generally speaking, it's because you know that your partner is never going to have the opportunity to do that, Like it's so fantastical and so far away that you're like, yeah, sure, like if have that hole, if you ever have the chance to look up go for gold. I think if you were ever presented with the opportunity where your partner was like, hey, Sydney Sweeney has hit me up and has invited me to go to her house tonight, I don't think many people would be actually letting them their partner. But I think it's down to your relationship, Like plenty of people would be okay with that.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't. I wouldn't.
Speaker 4: I think the thing is with a hall pass, it's okay to like put out a hall pass that's a ridiculously unattainable celebrit But I think with social media and Instagram, the lines are being blurred these days, like there's like really quite you know, quite social media famous people who someone might have as their hall pass.
Speaker 2: But the thing is is like they live in the same suburb.
Speaker 4: You might see them down at the beach, Like they're not as unattainable as what you might think they are. And I guess like our perspective on what defines a celebrity or someone with like social media presence or whatever has shifted. So I think for me, I'm okay with my husband having a hall pass that is someone who's super super famous, like Hollywood famous. But Matt's always joked that his hall pass is Sandra Sully and that feels too closed to.
Speaker 3: That's yeah, no, especially because we come on and speak to him in the jungle, Like, isn't Sandra Sally the one that comes and checks in and reads the news when you're in the arm of celebrity jungle?
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I wish he was joking, but I actually don't think he is. I really do think Sandra Sally is my husband's hall pass.
Speaker 2: She's a babe. I get it. She's an absolute babe. But they've together. Yeah, that's weird. You've got to have rules.
Speaker 3: I am for years. I'm not going to say who it was. I had this one hall pass that was like Hollywood. He was pretty big, is pretty big, and I came across him on Raya, the dating app, so I was single at the time, saw him. Still thought it was like he was out of my league, but it made me realize that he was single. So I went to Instagram a couple of fireflames, slid into the dms, and we got talking and we ended up like becoming friends where.
Speaker 4: You had to just give a clue of what he was off at least, like you don't have to say who he is.
Speaker 2: No, I'm absolutely.
Speaker 1: Not No, I'm absolutely not okay, Sandra Sally.
Speaker 4: I'm just giving you Sandra Sally okay.
Speaker 3: But my point was this was like at the end of COVID and he actually said, Hey, I'm filming something in New Zealand, like like come hang out, we'll have a date kind of thing. And I couldn't bloody get there. I was so excited. I was like, yes, I am there, and then I couldn't get a flight. I could not get the flight out of country, and I'm like, you are kidding me.
Speaker 2: This is the opportunity to.
Speaker 1: Tick off a whole path, something that you never think.
Speaker 2: Is even in reach, and I couldn't do it. Okay, I'm going to figure out who it is and I'll tell you what ext.
Speaker 3: So I had this really beautiful conversation on the weekend with my nan. And I don't get to see my nan often. She lives in Portant Quarry. She's eighty seven. She is on her own. She's been on her own for many, many years, and she lives on her own in a village like assisted living, but not you know, it's not assisted. It's completely independent, like you live alone in a house, but the house is amongst other houses.
Speaker 1: It's just like a suburb.
Speaker 2: So it's a.
Speaker 3: Retirement village but you're in your own house. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: It's a real community there. It's really nice. Got you.
Speaker 3: But I had this conversation with her. We were up there for my mum's birthday. And makes me upside to think about actually now that i'm thinking about it, but maybe there's a message in this for you guys. Now, if you're with your grandparents, or you have someone in your life. I was asking her what is left on her bucket lit and not that she's dying or anything, but she'll often bring it up, like, hey, what do you want of mind before I'm going to cark it one day?
Speaker 2: Like you know what joy do you want?
Speaker 3: And I said, heynn, what's your what's on your bucket list? Like I want to do something for you like you tell me and I will tick it off for you. I will make whatever you want happen. And I was prepared for anything, right, like you know that's.
Speaker 2: A fair balloon anything, take me to Morocco.
Speaker 3: Now. Min Nan has raised four kids on her own since she was twenty.
Speaker 2: She has one arm.
Speaker 3: She lost one arm to polio when she was twenty, and she has just not had an easy life. She didn't have a lot of family around. She was a teacher, she is. She've only retired a couple of years ago. She worked a really long time and.
Speaker 1: I don't know what I was expecting.
Speaker 3: But she thought about it for a second and she said, you know what, I don't have a bucket list, And I said, well, let's make one. She thought about it again. She said, there is nothing that I would want to do that I haven't already done, or that I'm not doing right now.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: She looked around.
Speaker 3: It was my mum's birth, so all the nieces and nephews were there, like her great grandchildren, her children were there, and we were there, so normal grandchildren, so every layer she had, and she said, I've just done everything I want to do, and everything that I want to do left in life I can do right here, right now. And it was this moment where I was like, wow, like, you have had it so hard, You've had nothing given to you, you have faced so many challenges, and still to this day you're not complaining and you are finding such happiness in the little things. And it really made me just think, maybe we just set these expectations so high for ourselves and we're finding all these things for like adrenaline, like we almost need to make ourselves feel something instead of thinking of all these really little moments that are the important moments in there every day.
Speaker 4: I think there's something really beautiful in that around perspective, right, Like, I mean, we're definitely we definitely subscribe to the hustle culture or like what's the next thing the next success, the next thing you're going to tick off. I mean, I also think we're just the generation of lists in general. But I think there's something beautiful in perspective of getting to that age and being able to feel as though all the.
Speaker 2: Things that you want in your life you already have.
Speaker 4: What a beautiful place to be, rather than getting to eighty seven and thinking I have so many things that I want to do and haven't done and will never do, like what you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And then the other thing.
Speaker 3: That she said was, and this is what makes me upset. I guess that maybe life just passes us by. But she said, thanks for asking me that. She's like, no one will pray. She's like, no one really talks to me about life anymore, and not.
Speaker 2: Like in a what's coming.
Speaker 3: Yeah, She's like, it's just sometimes you think, like people in your life have lived a whole life. She's eighty seven, she's lived through pandemics, she's lived through alls, she has one arm, she's you know, she's done so much. She's survived polio, and there must be so much to talk about. But sometimes I think you're a little forgotten. And I'm not saying that my family forgets so absolutely not. They're all so close. But it was just this moment where she's like, yeah, think you know, like people don't ask me about those things or reflections on my life or.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I don't know.
Speaker 1: I just thought it was like.
Speaker 3: One of the really important pivotal moments where I was like, oh, you know, I want to talk about this and I want to remind people that if you have those people in your life to have those conversations and find out about you know, the most interesting people in the world are people that have lived.
Speaker 4: What did it do for you though, in terms of perspective when you think, like all the things that you want to do, or like the goals that you have and everything else, did it change anything about how you see the priorities in your life?
Speaker 2: One hundred percent?
Speaker 3: It definitely makes me think My priorities right now have been very heavily.
Speaker 2: And for probably the last decade, have been work related.
Speaker 3: I've always been very career driven and it's been the number one thing. And she did make me think that career and work is only important if you're sharing it with people or if you're you know, it's like a puzzle. Your life is a jigsaw puzzle, and you need all these things to go together, so as long as ones not overtaking the other. So it's just one of those food for thought perspective things where I thought, you know what, I want everyone to think about it now and go and ask your your parents or your grandparents, go and ask them something about their life or something that you really want to know, something you might regret if they did leave this world and you never ask them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the opposite to it, isn't it. Usually they're all the questions that you want to ask. When they're not around to ask anymore, or they're not able to answer those questions anymore, that's when you really start thinking about it.
Speaker 2: But it's really sweet.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I didn't expect to cry then. I really took me over.
Speaker 4: Now it is that time of year again where it comes around where there is like the most common baby names are twenty twenty five, but also the least common baby names and the names that have dropped out of the hot one hundred when it comes to naming your kids.
Speaker 2: Is this something that people bookmark in their diary the hottest one hundred baby names, like Christmas.
Speaker 1: Comes, Easter comes the baby list name cars.
Speaker 2: I've always cared about baby names. I was that kid in school even.
Speaker 4: Though I wasn't even sure if I was going to have kids, but I always had like a list of names.
Speaker 2: That I liked.
Speaker 4: I always thought I was going to have a girl and I was going to name her a Kaisha. Wow, I did that didn't happen. I did have a girl though, Kaysha Acacia. Did you make that up?
Speaker 2: Okay, No, it's to have tree.
Speaker 1: Yeah, God, I you've left that one in the forest.
Speaker 2: I was about nine years old.
Speaker 4: Marley, if we ever have another kid, my oldest order she wants us to call it Genevieva.
Speaker 2: I was like, that's not a real name. Feva. No, I think it is a name.
Speaker 4: I don't think Genevieva's in the Hottest one hundred, do you know? All right, Well, look, we're not talking about the names through at the top of the list. We're talking about the very common baby names that dropped out of the Hot one hundred for twenty twenty five. And some of these I think will really surprise you because some of these names I would have thought were still very very common.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: The name that has had the absolute biggest drop in terms of boys' names is Owen. It experienced the biggest drop in rankings, falling fifty places from ninety one to number one hundred and forty one on this year's list.
Speaker 2: I don't think that's a bad thing, Owen.
Speaker 3: Because that makes you not as common anymore. So on this list of the nine the top nine names that have fallen out of the top one hundred, three of them are family names.
Speaker 5: For me.
Speaker 1: Michael, Owen, and Charles are all.
Speaker 2: People in my family. They're all very traditional names. All right, let's go through them.
Speaker 4: So these here are the top nine that have fallen out for boys' names. Michael A I like ari Aris called it can stay. Ari is a great name.
Speaker 2: Didn't even know what's in the top one hundred. Olie Olie's gone.
Speaker 1: Olie is Oliver saying no time to rest Ollie.
Speaker 2: Hamish.
Speaker 4: Do you think it's because Hamish Blake is not on the airways anymore and everyone was calling their kid Hamish Blake for a period.
Speaker 2: They're not Blake.
Speaker 3: I don't know if we're gonna attest the top one hundred names to attribute the top one hundred names to Hamish Blake.
Speaker 4: I absolutely think that Hamish would have been a popular name for a while because people love Hamish Blake.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, we'll give him that. Owen out, Ruben out, Ruben Sandwich. Never even heard of him, Ruben.
Speaker 1: I know three Rubens age three six.
Speaker 2: Year old Rubens. Wow. Zachary out. Zachary Hanson was great, though. I understand why people like that name, the Hansons.
Speaker 4: Charles out. It's because of King Charles. Now, you can't name your kid King Charles.
Speaker 2: You can't August.
Speaker 3: I love August for a boy. Yeah, August has been on my list, believe it or not. Baby names by fiance. Ben has vetoed it. He can't get over the fact that it's a month. He's like, cool, why don't we call it April? I said, also a name, Ben, also a name.
Speaker 2: Also name April is a name that I know? All right, what I told him?
Speaker 4: And here are the top girls names that are out of the top one hundred. Now okay, so Harlow no longer the top one hundred, Quinn, Cleo, thea Peyton. I didn't even know Peyton was in the top one hundred. I know a Paton, Athena and Lara.
Speaker 1: Do you think Quinn was made it to.
Speaker 3: The top one hundred because of Harley Quinn. No, now, Margot Robbie played Harley Quinn and that whole movie came out.
Speaker 2: But wasn't she a psychopath?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but still they killed people.
Speaker 4: I don't know if people are watching movies like that and thinking that's a great name for my beautiful little newborn baby, Like I'm going to namer after like the Joker.
Speaker 3: What were you gonna call your kid when you were.
Speaker 4: A Kasha was a namer after a tree. I was a namer after a tree. I mean, some of these names, I'm surprised. Well, some of them I'm surprised they were ever in the top one hundred, and others I'm surprised they left. Were you the type of person who wrote the list?
Speaker 2: As a kid?
Speaker 4: Like do you have even though like you know you're in the know, you're thinking about whether or not you would have kids and whether you guys are gonna try soon. Do you have a list of baby names, your favorite baby names.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't say it's a list.
Speaker 3: There's about four names on it, but that's because ben Veto's every name that I like. And I think that is because we're from different parts of the world, so like he thinks Australian names, you know, Australian names are a bit unusual, Like that's our vibe, right, Like we don't mind different names. Over in Europe, they're pretty mainstream, Like they like the really traditional name, beautiful names traditional. I mean, Ben's Ben Benjamin. But so every time I say something it's pretty normal in Australia, and he thinks it's like the most abstract out of this world name.
Speaker 2: So we might have a hard time. I think this is an odd one.
Speaker 4: So my husband, his name is Matthew David Johnson, right, that's his full name. But then he also has a brother named David. So his mum liked the name so much that she gave one kid the middle name David and another.
Speaker 2: Kid the first name David. Is that odd? Who knows? I feel like there's so many names.
Speaker 3: That was really convalent Ostria forward for a second.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's that.
Speaker 2: Weird, isn't it.
Speaker 4: It'd be like me now calling a kid May because I've already got a kid called Marley May, and then.
Speaker 2: Naming another one May. It just oh yeah, look.
Speaker 4: I mean I think it's an indication that maybe Elliet had too many kids.
Speaker 2: She's got five children,