Speaker 1: This podcast is brought to you by on Track Studio. Welcome to Yarning Up, a podcast that showcases stories of First Nations excellence to help us learn and unlearn Australia's history to work towards a better future. I'm your host, Proud Barbara woman and founder of Black Wattle Coaching and Consulting, Caroline cal This podcast was taped on the sacred, stolen and unseeded Aboriginal lands of the Runjuri people of the Coolin Nation. I pay my deepest respects to them, my elders, your elders, and all owners of country, of this beautiful place that we call home. Well, I'm really looking forward to today's conversation with two highly respected community leaders, grassroots activists, community activists, parents, daughters, aunts, you know, cousins, people who I look up to. The First People's Assembly Victoria Coaches, Niagara Murray and Reubenberg. Thank you so much for being here, you too, thanks for having us.
Speaker 2: It's great to be here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, welcome to Janni Up. I mean, I can't imagine how exhausted you both are. I think, like many of our mobs and families and communities right now, with this the national discourse the upcoming referendum, but coupled with all of the work that you follows have been doing locally since twenty eighteen, twenty nineteen with treaty. So thank you so much for being here in light of all of that today, before we get in to talk about you know, what you mother up to with the treaty process, and of course you know, talking a bit about the referendum, I'm wondering if we could start with, yeah, a bit about your personal stories. Yeah, where you're from, your families, your nations, your clans, and I might start with the Unigara.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well I'll start with acknowledging country because I'm on Randi Worng country today, So my respectful acknowledgment of the Randi Warrong Mob.
Speaker 4: I'm a proud.
Speaker 3: Judi Order Wamba Wamba ja Ja Warung and good old woman. And I grew up in Sheperdon, in a big community up there, and my families are the Murray's and the Nicholases, and I've got a lot of strong family connections and kinship to many parts of Victoria and New South Wales. So I come from a big mob and really strong families and our families are kind of a political cultural family that's kind of been part of the political movement over many generations. So really proud to be born and bred in Victoria, grew up amongst it, and yeah, I'm a mom of four kids. As you said, I've recently been elected as the CoA Chair of the First People's Assembly, which is a real honor and privilege to serve our communities on the Assembly.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: I'm Reuben ruben Berg.
Speaker 5: I'm here at Maxim in Perth at the moment, so we acknowledge the traditional liners over this side of the country. And yeah, alongside Nagara, very very pleased to be one of the CoA chairs of the First People's Assembly Victoria. My family's Grenijmora people in eastern March and so from down in Framlingham is where most of my family is from than Yang Pruna Hopkins falls down that way, which is I believe one of the widest waterfalls in the Southern Hemisphere, which is one of my favorite spots to go and visit down that way. But I grew up in m in Melbourne and lived most of my life there and kind of been inspired by my family's history in this space as well as with Nagara and kind of trying to you done from what previous generations have done and put my hand up through part of the Assembly. Yes, it's real pleasure to be in Dad as well. We've got two young kids, so that's always a part of my inspiration for the work that I do is family.
Speaker 1: Oh, thank you. It's yeah, it's always lovely to hear people's personal stories and you know who they are and where they come from, and you mob are from good stock, and so yeah, I want to I want to acknowledge you both and your families and your old ones too, and the many legacies that they and yourselves have created and continue to create. So in July this year, you both were elected as co chairs of the first Assembly Victoria and so I just want to say huge congratulations in that. It's a really yeah, it's really deadly to see how that group has grown and evolved, in the strength of that group of being a really representative culturally rope group. So yeah, huge congratulations in taking on that feat. Imagine it would have been. Yeah, it's not an easy one, I can imagine.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's definitely been a it's been a challenge. We knew it wasn't going to be straightforward, but it's something I think for Gara and I were both passionate about and knew it was it was our opportunity to step up to this role as well now as the coach is, having been part of the first part of the Assembly and both heavily involved in that, and for me, I just knew that it felt like this was the time to kind of step up and play this next role for this next version of the Assembly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right. We worked on the when we transitioned from v tach into setting up the Assembly, and I must say, you know, seeing this year's people who put their hat in the ring, the candidates, the people who were elected, you know, it really is such a representative group of people from all different walks of life, different countries, different ages, different backgrounds and passions. So yeah, it's just deadly to see this group grow and evolve, and I'm sure you, being in the first iteration, have grown and evolved alongside it as well. You know, the subject of treaty, I think, which is something that many of your families and elders and leaders and my families have called for, has been discussed a lot recently, I think by their everyday Australian and you know, coming out of conversations from the Uliver of the State Ulary Statement of the Heart which called for voice, treaty and truth, it's kind of become a bit of a more common phrase or understanding what people are sort of the everyday Australian would know. And so I wonder if possibly we could start there with just a little bit about, yeah, what is a treaty for those people who don't know, and then I'd love to hear about like the work that you followers have undertaken in the last few years, and yeah, where you're up to at this stage.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, it's been a big journey to get us to this point, obviously, and you know, we've got to acknowledge the old people that have been calling for change and calling for treaties for a long time. And obviously it's been a long journey for us here in Victoria, you know, starting way back when we called for treaties, I think it was around twenty sixteen, and then in twenty eighteen, you know, we introduced the first treaty laws in the.
Speaker 4: Country, passed by the Victorian Parliament. So it's been a lot.
Speaker 3: Of contributions and a huge collaborative process to get us to this point. And obviously through the Ulary Statement with Voice Treaty truth, I really feel we're really advancing all three elements of that Orary Statement from the heart. And you know, we've got the first People's Assembly. It's a democratically elected, an independent body. It's diverse, it's made up of true owners of country, but it represents all the different regions in Victoria and all Victorian abaginal title on to people that live here on our country. So it's something that we've never built before. And so for us, we feel that the Assembly is Victoria's voice, you know, it's you know, our cultural way of governing. It's us coming together to determine what our representation will be when we do eventually sit down with the state government to do a statewide treaty. You know, we've got some really progressive treaty work that we've done in Victoria alone. Like you know, we've got a solid treaty negotiation framework, so the ground rules are kind of set. We've got the treaty authority coming, you know, the first of its kind a legislated treaty authority that's Aboriginal lead and we'll oversee the process and you know, we've got the Self Determination Fund to start to get you know, all our mobs prepared to do their treaty negotiations. And throughout that process too, we discussed you know, truth telling, which has also been a long call from our people. So we've got the first truth telling commission in the country, the eurok Justice Commission Eurok Justice Commission, which is our truth telling Commission, but has the truth Telling inquiry underway. So when you look at voice treaty and truth for us, we're already doing that, you know, on our terms in our way here in Victoria. So yeah, it's been a massive effort from all our mob over many generations to get us to this point.
Speaker 4: And obviously it's a call that we've had right across the country.
Speaker 3: So other states and territories are undertaking their own treaty and truth telling and how they'll be represented when it comes to you know, those those jurisdictions undertaking their treaties. So I feel like, you know, really proud to be a part of it. It's massive when I think about it, Like I just I get tired just thinking about it because it's just like you know, there's the breadth of it is so wide, and it's such a big responsibility and as I said, like it's a real honor and privilege for us to carry that responsibility and the burden too for our mob as we kind of head towards treaties.
Speaker 1: It is a huge amount of work that you fellas have been doing. There's no denying and building on those yeah, heartfault legacies, but also just coming together from all of your different you know, nations, clans, families and working together to agreement make wild agreement making. I imagine, Yeah, it'd be quite a journey and your mob should be so proud of what you have, what legacy you have carried on in this phase of it. I mean we mentioned that, So the treaty negotiation, your authority, the independent umpire, and I believe there's also the elder's voice that will be established and these are kind of the key kind of pillars to keep this process, agreement making process accountable. You know when firstly, you know, how far away do you think we will be from seeing a treaty? Is this something that we will see soon in our generation? In your time?
Speaker 5: Is chairs yeah, Look, I think there's different ways of looking at it in terms of what a treaty outcome actually is. And what's really important about the work we've been able to do so far and working with community and work with our members to get done, was that treaty is not just one thing that happens at the end of a very very long road. It's actually lots of little things can be treaties. And so the framework that we put in place has this idea of introm agreements, and what that means is we can sit down and negotiate with the state, after we listen to our community about what they want and have those conversations with community, we can sit down and negotiate particular outcomes we want under treaty, and we can sign those off and say that's a treaty outcome, and we can then start implementing those and then we can move on to the next thing, and the next thing, and the next thing, the next thing, keep building and adding on to that. As our community is ready for that, as our orgs are ready for that, as we're ready for that, the state's ready for.
Speaker 2: That, we can just continue to add to that.
Speaker 5: And so what that means is that once the Treaty Authority is up and running and is ready to actually oversee negotiations, which should hopefully be early next year, we can sit down with the state and start those negotiations and get some outcomes. Hopefully within the next eighteen months, there'll be intro agreements that we can sign off on. That's still going to take lots of work with our communities and lots of discussions to make sure we're doing that the right way. We're not just going to go in there tomorrow and negotiate outcomes, but there's the scope to have intra agreements in place within the next twelve eighteen months, and then we'll just keep building on that.
Speaker 2: And we just.
Speaker 5: Want to make sure that we're laying really strong foundations in terms of how we go about doing our business and the structures we set up so that those next things can just keep moving along on that solid base we've built up. So there will be treaty outcomes within the next twelve to eighteen months, but that won't be the end of it. That'll just be the start, and it'll keep building on that and it'll be you know, could be decades that we keep having those conversations to keep strengthening the outcomes that we're achieving through treatment.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's so fascinating Rubin to hear how this conversation has yeah progressed and that I guess what I'm hearing is that it's a really iterative agreement making process, and it's the journey in working with the state and with traditional owners, and that for some of the groups who aren't represented through formal structures traditional owner settlement acts, native title, that there's opportunities for them to opt in as this process grows and evolves in this interim treaty making process. So, yeah, thanks for providing that clarity. You know, we're having this kind of really big national conversation around the referendum and this kind of rhetoric that's you know, isn't a new rhetoric for us, but that through these processes that you know, we're going to take people's backs. We heard it through Marlbo, We've hearing it through some of the you know, the no campaign that's happening right now. You know what, I know that it's up to the every nation and group to decide of what will be in their agreement. But what has there been any discussions about what reasonably like what is reasonably on the table when it comes to the state government or anyone relinquishing anything through this process around what are some of the sort of outcomes that we might see through a treaty process.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm happy to chime in first, and that when Agar, I can jump in with some other ideas too. But it's important to note that in that question, there are two different types of treaty outcomes that there's going to be. There's going to be the statewide treaty outcomes, which is the role of the Assembly to work with community and to negotiate. But there's also going to be traditional Liner based treaties. And so that's where tradition Liner groups they don't have to be the existing structures, they don't have to be have native title status. They can use those structures, but they can work out how they want to come together and work out how they want to be recognized and aligned, and they'll be able to negotiate their own local traditional linerbased treatment.
Speaker 2: So there's possibly.
Speaker 5: Different things that are going to be on the table for negotiation at those different levels. And I always like to start this conversation with the big picture and then maybe a go I can give some of the smaller other examples, but the big picture is the legislation that was passed by the state said, okay, Assembly, you have to come up with the rules for treaty making, and part of that, you have to make a list of all the things that can't be negotiated as a part of the treaty. That was what the legislation said. We needed a list of what's not on the table. And if you go and look at the rule book we came up with, you can go and find the section where it talks about things that aren't allowed to be negotiated, and it's blank. There's nothing on that list. We had to put something in there because that's what it said. We had to put include a list, but the list is blank because the state has said everything's on the table. Now, that doesn't mean we're going to get everything where we've got to be realistic about this.
Speaker 2: We can't just go in there and ask for the moon and expect to get it.
Speaker 5: But there's nothing that's as a default. The state has said no, no, we're not even going to look at that. They have obligations under our framework that we've agreed with them to consider every proposal let's put to them. That doesn't mean they'll agree to it, but they have to at least consider it. So at the higher level, for traditional liner groups when they want to sit down and negotiate for the Assembly, when we go to negotiate and when we have discussions with our community about what we want, there's nothing where we're going to say, oh no, but we can't do that because the state's already said no, that's we've got a blank page to do those things. But maybe to go do you want to share some of the more kind of particular things that groups might want to be looking at.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and as Rubens said, you know, there'll be many treaties, so that statewide on will cover you know, all state wide matters and it will benefit all first people that live here in Victoria. And then there'll be the local Trushona treaties and that'll be obviously up to those groups to what the content of the treaties will be. But also they're aspirations and this is their chance to really dream big. You know, I know that from a statewide perspective, we're looking at, you know, negotiating what the next iteration of the Assembly will be so an aboriginal representative body to look at, you know, that structural reform, you know, state reform to take over certain powers and resources that we can transfer to a new body that we can finally have control over our own affairs and make decisions about the things that you know, impact our people. We look at, you know, on trush ower business. You know, we've been part of a CHWO hundred and thirty five year you know, conflict, a war in our country.
Speaker 4: So we need peace and healing.
Speaker 3: So what does that look like in a trius own treaty around you know, ending that kind of dispute and you know, having a bit of a piece of court around that. You know, true owners will have many aspirations around land and water rights, you know, the land that's on the country. They'll look at, you know, language of vitalization, education, health, justice as it applies to the communities. So I think it's important to think big. But as Ruben said, nothing will be off the table.
Speaker 1: Wow, it's it's just so fascinating. You fellows have been incredibly busy as we've discussed. But yeah, so there will be many treaties, there will be an overarching statewide treaty that will have some benefit and cover those not represented by formal structures such as a traditional owner group. But then there will be these local clan based treaties too, And it's really fascinating to hear that the state government have committed to considering all things on the table and that yeah, I think that, you know, if anyone's listening, you know, it's really important to go and have a look at that rule book and to sort of unpack that further, because I think that's going to be really interesting to see how these negotiations transpire. And I guess, yeah, it's just it's incredible to hear where you followers have taken this and that all the hard yards you would have had to get it to this point, and that ultimately, you know, there is a misconception about us wanting to take people's backyards. You know, our mob don't want handouts. We just want to hand up. We just want to equal footing in this country. And for many of us, when we have access to our land and our resources and our ways of governing, it's about preserving our culture. It's about having as you said, cis Nagara, you know, language revitalation, revitalization and programs that are for us, and ways to bring people back to country, back to culture. It has really nothing to do with take from yet white people. It's all about preserving for us. And I guess the last thing that I want to say is with the treaty making process, is that you know, when it started, the formal treaty making process, it was by no means a perfect process. There were many criticisms, all welcomed. You know, Black critique is inherently a good thing. And yeah, to see where this is gone and letting go of this idea that it had to be perfect, is just an interesting observation for me, you know. With that in mind, you know, there has been a lot of discussion recently around I guess thinking if we're switching a little bit to the referendum conversation, because these things do intersect, I guess, and there is a view even my own family, for instance, the barber and people, we don't have a unified position on what's happening in the referendum, and in fact, it's creating quite a lot of division we had. We've got native title land back, we've got mob moving back to country and we have a treaty side who wants treaty first, and we have people who really supportive of the Voice and see the opportunity that this is, I guess, a step in the right direction to really have a consolidated national policy approach around dealing with outcomes. And so my family is very divided. You know, Is there is there any from your both of your perspectives. I'd love to hear both your perspectives on this. Is there any considerations around the sequencing and what can we learn from this notion of letting go of something being so perfect from what you follows have gone through in the treaty process. So I'd love to hear the question is is there any implications on the sequencing and yeah, what do you think we can learn from this voice process from how you followers have got the right people around the table to shape up the treaty work here in Victoria.
Speaker 5: So in terms of the sequencing, you know, I think there's lots of ways that you can you can think about it in terms of how you might want to go about it. I know that here in Victoria we've seen that we have aspirations around treaty and the government is willing to discuss treaty with us. But for us to be able to have a treaty, we needed a way of having a collective conversation with first peoples.
Speaker 2: So we needed the Assembly.
Speaker 5: First to be able to have those discussions, like we needed a voice to be able to sit down and negotiate treats. I think that it's a really critical part of the process, and it would be difficult. I think at a COMMO of they would have just say let's just snap our fingers and start negotiating treaties like that, you need it. I believe you need a collective way of understanding how that's going to work. Even if there are going to be just treat is between clan groups or smaller groups and not a collective nationwide treaty, you still need a way of bringing all those conversations together to decide what that process is going to look like. And to my mind, right now, we've got a kom Off government that's saying, yes, we want to work out how to make sure there is a voice, and that can then lead on to treaty and truth. And if I think that my aspiration is to get treaty outcomes both in Victoria and at the national level, we are much closer to be able to get to negotiate treaties if we have a yes in the referendum, if there is a voice, and if it's a no, we are further away from being able to get treaties. That's just the reality in how I stay it. And so if people do have aspirations to get treaty, I think voice is the best way.
Speaker 2: We're going to be able to get that.
Speaker 5: And you know, yep, you could do it all different ways, but right now, this is the process that's being undertaken based on what the ulary statement said that it will should be voice treating truth. It's not the government just kind of making up an order. They're kind of responding to what we said from that rulary statement. So yeah, to my mind, voice is the right way to go and then to treaty. But if it was a whole, if we were on a blank page again and someone said treaty first, I wouldn't be complaining about that. But right now on a path where voice can lead us to treaty, and so I want to make sure we grab that as that opportunity as best we can right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, thanks for sharing that. What about you, sis, what are your thoughts about this matter, because it is something that seems like are we splitting hairs or is this really important for us to have this discernment around the process, and we haven't had the space to have that sort of critically and so I'm keen to hear your thoughts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know, voice treaty truth, it's kind of all dependent on each other. And like Rubin said, we booked that. Obviously how would be represented if we are to enter into an agreement with the state, So we had to build that representation first, and it's not perfect, but you know, like I said, we've never built it before.
Speaker 4: And then obviously to.
Speaker 3: Shana, groups will have to get their representation in place as well to do local treaties, so how they'll be represented for their elders, leaders, family clans of those groups. And obviously we're not one big homogenous group and we've seen that in many things that we do. And you know, I'm respectful of the different opinions amongst our our mobs because there are those different opinions in regards to you know, yes, no, I'm sure maybe you know for us even in the Assembly chamber. You know, we took it to a vote in our Assembly and overwhelmingly the majority of our members supported a yes vote and a voice to the Parliament, and we looked at how that the voice had enabled.
Speaker 4: Us to work on how we did represent.
Speaker 3: So then we kind of discovered throughout that process that we'd need truth telling, you know, if we're going to have treaties. So we're kind of showing that we're doing all three at the same time, and they're all dependent on each other.
Speaker 4: And I know that.
Speaker 3: There's been a lot of racist fear mangering out there that's confused people, all the misinformation, so a mob a feeling really exhausted, And I just want to acknowledge that too, that with that referendum debate, it's caused a lot of stress.
Speaker 4: For our people.
Speaker 3: And our moble feeling exhausted, and all the elevation of the racism that's happened. You know, it happens every day in our lives anyways, but this is just a whole different level. But I think that you know, this is the first time we're having that conversation proper across the country and what our nation will look like, because even though it's a voice to the Parliament. It's so big, it's so symbolic now that it's about the narrative of this country and how we will coexist into the future.
Speaker 4: So how do we come together?
Speaker 3: And you know, and that's what a treaty will do, because a treaty is really just an agreement. Agreements happen every day in this country, thousands of agreements that happens right across this nation, and it's really just a commitment to a fair and respectful process so that we can enter into the series of negotiations. As we said before, you know, treaties will be forever. Now that's just our future. That's what it's going to look like. So how do we come to the table as equals? But how do we address the injustices and the atrocities like what Rook's doing now around that transactional account of the injustices that's happened in Victoria, because we need to reveal those from the past to move forward to the future. So it's a really piovotal time for us. I feel as a mob in this country and we're really copytent, you know, So I always just want to acknowledge that and that you know, we respect the different opinions and for people to have their own expressions and ideas, but we felt that the best way forward for us, as Ruben said, was a yes vote, and it will complement the process that we're doing around our path to treaty and truth telling.
Speaker 4: So yeah, we want to get excited about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's just so much happening and our more feels so overwhelmed.
Speaker 4: So yeah, we'll get third eventually.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I think and I really appreciate both of your perspectives on that, and I feel you on that. It'sis you know, here at Blackwadle, in my circles with my friends, you know, we've held space for all opinions and all feelings because for us, you know, we where the babies, the daughters of the interventions of the stolen generations, you know, of the stolen wealth of the endless. You know, reports and recommendations that have fallen on deaf ears, you know, And so we come at this process knowing that governments have tried to kill, subjugate silence, and raise us in you know, the home that we've cared for. And so I know that our mob just carrying that immense sense of responsibility for us and that I guess what I'm seeing is that because of that responsibility. Yes, so many of us are weary, and I think some of us do want to feel like we can get excited about this process. But there is this kind of view and I've shared it. I've waxed, I've wayne, I've been hard, yes, and I've been to know and I'm listening, I'm learning. I've had fear, I've been scared, I've agonized. You know, I've had many moments of tears and hard yarns with mob and my family, and it hasn't been a straight line. And I think that's the challenge we're seeing, is that White Australia is waking up and is you know, really grabbing this opportunity with both hands. But there are many of us who have felt that this conversation has taken place kind of adjacent to us, and I think it is really important to acknowledge all of the feelings right now that our mob are having. And I think for many of us, we all want to actualize this world where it's based on Aboriginal knowledge, self determination, self governance, not relying on governments at all. And so it does feel really heavy and really symbolic. But I do just want to circle back to this notion what you said, because it is something that has come up, which is this is a process and that the voice, you know, is the vehicle to treaties, and that we have to get to that place to be able to imagine more, and that it's okay also to feel the feelings we feel because we are all carrying so much responsibility. We always want to get it right, you know, and demand a bit more, and we're bloody hard on ourselves as mob too. Have all the answers, have it all figured out. But I think if anything I want to say is just to give confidence in that this process will evolve, just like everything else. And so but yeah, it is okay to fear the feel Neither are mutually exclusive. They will all compliment one another and together that will be ab or to yeah, provide some strong, strong way forwards. We can't have one in isolation, is what I'm hearing. I guess you know with that in mind. You know you mentioned before that the Assembly have taken a position on supporting a yes, and Ruben, I saw you out on the weekend. I know your mother out yarning and campaigning, and I think that is a really promising thing for anyone who is like me who has sort of felt on the fence or fearful or worried whilst acknowledging their emotions. You know, what would you say to people at the moment who are still yet sitting on the fence and undecided, like where can they go? Who can they reach out to? Yeah? Any advice on that for people?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Well, I think you know, as I said before, like the voice has enabled us to get to where we are today in Victorian to make really good progress, and we want, you know, people from around the country to also have that benefit from having a voice to the parliament.
Speaker 4: It has been challenging for all of us to participate in this referendum debate because we're often politicized, were used as a political football, and that's what's happened.
Speaker 3: And as you said before, Carolyn, like it feels like a conversation that's happened about us without us, and we're just sort of coming in now.
Speaker 4: And obviously for our.
Speaker 3: People, we were on the end of it now because there is a lot of racism and debate that's happening, you know, right around the country. But I think it's important that, you know, as Ruben said, we just stick to the question that's been proposed.
Speaker 4: You know, we've got to look after.
Speaker 3: Ourselves in community and our self care and like socials and things, because it's just been really elevated, you know, over the last few months, because this is a position that's been so scrutinized over years now and we're just coming to the end of it, and you know that it's getting harder when we're only weeks away so when we do go and vote in the referendum, and the wider Australia has also started to you know, attack their own Aussie heroes like you know, Jimmy Barnes and Johnny Farnum and you know, their own OZSI heroes that they love and worship.
Speaker 4: So you know that it's getting down to the nitty gritty.
Speaker 3: Now and that elevation of racial abuse, you know, has taken up a whole other level. So I think that I feel that, you know, we are at a bit of a crossroads and it is hard for us. But we've never had this conversation before, like proper, proper ways, like out there in the community, and I commend you know, the people that are out there on the front line having those yards you know, through the campaign, whether it's yes or whatever it is.
Speaker 4: It's it's quite damaging to a lot of us.
Speaker 3: But I feel that we're only you know, weeks away, and I think that you know, getting up the voice.
Speaker 4: It's one more step.
Speaker 3: Closer for us to get to tradees and we've got to have that representation, whether it's at the local, state or federal level. We know that we have to change the status quo. So I think that you know, we know what hasn't worked, what will work. We know that we have, you know, solutions to our challenges and that we're better off with a driver's seat when it comes to these things. So you know, Assembly is encouraging you know, mob to vote yes and right across the country.
Speaker 4: So yeah, it's just holding on tight now.
Speaker 3: Till we get there and to see where we land, you know, And no matter what, like I said, we'll stick to our path of treaties and truth telling. We've made that very clear. But it will assist us in getting to our endgame. But you know, we'll stay on the path.
Speaker 4: That we're on.
Speaker 1: That's right, That's such a beautiful way of putting it. You know, no matter what comes out of this process, we'll always have the strength and the love of our people with us and absolutely working with us. And that's what we've got to hold on tied to.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: We Blackwattll have had heaps of yarns about how mob can you know, disconnect when they need to go back to their their ways of whatever works for them, if it's out on country, having a couple with an elder going and seeing an acho, a GP, a counselor whatever. You need to sort of manage right now because yet it has been such a difficult time and you're right, we're so close to the end or the beginning, however we frame it. And we really do have to look after ourselves because no one is going to look after us like we do and our people do. And I think it, I don't know. I want to stay really optimistic, but yeah, it might become even more intense. So if we need to plug out, that's okay for people to do as well. Yeah, beautiful. The other thing I wanted to say to people who you know, I think this not not this. I'm really grateful to have you follows on today to talk about the relationship between the voice and treaty, because I do feel it has been quite a divisive part of the process, but just getting some understanding about these things and how they intersect has been really important. You know, on the show this year, we've spoken to all sides of the coin, and the last year we had with Thomas Mayo, he sort of spoke about, you know, what should happen after the referendum, after on the October the fifteenth, or when the votes are counted, and that you know, really all of us mob will have an opportunity to design the mechanisms, just like how we did here with Victoria, you know, to design what the mechanisms of this actual voice should look like. And so I'd also sort of thinking about this for some of my friends and my community and my staunch elders, is that it's okay for you to vote for whatever you feel, of course, but you know, we also need all voices to make this process have the cultural rigor and the like the representation and the level of robustness that needs. And so I'm also encouraging people, like it's okay to change your mind, like if you said last month I'm not doing that. And now you've changed your mind, that's okay if you decide you want to go one way, and there's going to be other opportunities to opt in a part of this conversation. Changing as information changes is also okay to We're not it's not just a yes or a no. Changing your mind is all right as well. I think I just want to loop back just quickly on a final question which we discussed on which I think, you know, as at Blackworld Or we're really passionate about Aboriginal social emotional wellbeing. We work with communities in workshops and coaching and mentoring, and it's really about, you know, how do we look after ourselves to be able to look after the collective because we're no good to anyone if we're you know, really run down. And sometimes we've got to get in the arena and sometimes we have to step out at the arena as well, and how do we know that? How do we manage that? When do we say yes? When do we say no? All of those things, And so I'm curious to sort of just ask you personally, you know, taking off your cochair hats and you know, I know you're a mommy. You know, you've got four kids, it's six kids between years. You know, how how do you followers look after yourself through all of this? What what do you turn to? What lights you up or what are your strengths and supports during these times? Because I think there are a lot of us out here who might need a bit of a reminding too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I have a few.
Speaker 3: And obviously for us, the assembly work can be really heavy and can really kind of you be taxing on your health because it's such a big responsibility, and it's a huge responsibility for us, and as I said, we often we carry the burden as well for the mob, you know, in this process. But for me personally, you know, I always remember where I come from and while I'm here in the first instance, that's really important to me, and that I'm centered in the community where I live and work, and when my family I raise them. And you know, our mob got a lot of intergenerational trauma and we need a lot of healing, and I think through treaties and true of telling, we'll be able to do some of that and reset relationships and create those spaces that we need to have the healing, whether it's after the referendum. No matter what happens, we all come together. We'll find a way for us to gather. So I think that, you know, it's important to prioritize, you know, your wellbeing.
Speaker 4: I try to do that, you know, with four kids.
Speaker 3: It's hard because you know, busy, busy mom and you know, full time on the assembly.
Speaker 4: But just having really strong boundaries is important to me personally, taking that down time and self care. I spend a lot of time on my traditional country with my family, and that enables me to reset and rejuvenate and it really keeps me grounded as well, being around my elders and my family and they kind of you know, our mob.
Speaker 3: They keep it real, they keep me and then putting put in others before yourself can be hard, and it can be a habit that you do that, so it's hard to break. Like I've got four kids, so I will be the last one to get the haircut. So maybe it's like, you know, once every six to twelve months, I'll get the hair cut because I've put other people first. So I think it's just looking at you know, how you have that self care and how you take it seriously, because looking after ourselves should be part of just our everyday life, and you know it gives us a breather too. So I count my blessings and I'm grateful for you know, the life that I have and the privileges that we have.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 3: You know, my grandmother was born a camera Gunja, grew up on the mission through good times and hard times. So I really am grateful for where I am today and what they fought for, you know, over generations to get us to where we are today. So that's kind of yeah, from my personal perspective.
Speaker 1: That's beautiful, thank you for sharing. Yeah, Like, sometimes we have these views that we like for our mob going back on countries obviously the greatest co therapist and healing you know, teacher. But sometimes we have these views that we have to like go somewhere or be somewhere, especially you know, the the Waduly discourse around health and wellbeing. But sometimes yeah, it's just that walk around the block. It's laughing around with someone being silly, like just being silly, like there's nothing better than Black Valley Loves or putting on some gam and show with your family, or yeah, that cup of tea or just something really small. So that you can just gather yourself hey, and then get ready for whatever else you know, the world the colony is throwing at you, and yeah, and just being okay to say no sometimes yes and no, thanks or delegate. I think, yeah, that's beautiful and really some beautiful practical tips for our mob right now. As you say, we are at the kind of crunch time, and so yeah, really recommend that we all just lean into those supports and those things at work for us. Well that's all I had for today. I mean, it's been really lovely to connect to you, with you and just sort of unpack this notion of treaties, a referendum, how we can look after ourselves, the questions and thoughts that are on everybody's lips right now. So yeah, thank you so much for being here today, and thank you for all the work you're doing in our communities too. We really appreciate you both.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Caroline, we appreciate you too.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for listening you mob. If you are vibing this season of yarning up, then please head over to Apple, Spotify, or wherever you get your podcasts from to show us some love, rate and review. Alternatively, you can get in contact and give us some feedback by visiting www. Dot Carolinecoal, dot com, dot au