Speaker 1: Hi, guys, and welcome to another episode of Life Uncut. I'm Laura and I'm Brittany, and today we're going to be talking about our favorite Astrobatchie, our only astro, only Astrobacci and why was he called to see you next Tuesday? I don't know, but it was Psycho this week, it really was and a disrespectful pig. There're two things that you don't really want to be called. We're also going to be talking about what it is to have it all? Is it possible to have it all? Can you have the career, the babies, the clean house, drink a cups of water a day, exfoliate? Yeah?
Speaker 2: And just what does it all mean to an individual? Because I think it means a lot of different things to a lot of different women.
Speaker 1: But before we get into that, Brittany, did you hear that Cyrel and e are having a baby? I dare read this late last night. Tell me what you feel about this? Okay?
Speaker 2: So I think that you're going to be far more opinionated than I am on this one because I have a confession to make.
Speaker 1: If you say that you didn't watch either of those seasons, I'm going to get you to leave right now, I feel like get out, get out. So yeah, I actually have never watched Married at First Sight. I have an excuse.
Speaker 2: The first season played when I was in the Batch mansion, and as you know, you're not allowed to watch any TV.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's a pretty pretty good excuse. And then I just was too worried.
Speaker 2: It was such a train wreck that I thought I would get stuck on it because all of Australia were stuck on it, and I.
Speaker 1: Just didn't want it.
Speaker 2: I hadn't even had a TV in seven years, so I wasn't going to start watching it.
Speaker 1: For Married at First Sight? What did you talk about for like four months? I don't understand in the mansion. No, as in when Married First Site was on TV? What did you actually talk about to your friends and to people in general? Don't tell me that there was other topics of conversation going around. Yeah, I think I was actually talking about real things, like side global warming and you know she's so cultured. Oh my god, guy, it's called woke Laura. She's woke everyone. I'm not woke. It's very early in the morning. Woke again. I am not woke, but here we are. What did you think about it.
Speaker 2: I know you're gonna have I have an opinion, but I want to hear yours first, because you actually frothed on that show.
Speaker 1: I did. I was obsessed with Married at First Sight, And for those who don't know, Eden is not from Married at First Site, He's from Love Island, right, So they have cross pollinated the reality TV world, which is just nuts in itself, isn't it. You're not supposed to go onto the dark side. What are these people doing? Stick to your lane, people, stick to your lane. Look, I have mixed feelings about this. Not about the fact that they're having a baby. I think it's amazing that they're having a baby. I love babies. I have a baby. I talk about my baby all the time. You like babies, I didn't know babies are great. The thing that I am a bit conflicted about is yesterday when it was announced their baby announcement was overshadowed by the fact that everyone is saying that they're doing it for a publicity stunt, which in itself is pretty horrific. You should not have a baby for a publicity stunt. I think we're all on board with that. My issue comes from the fact that they very strongly denied that this was the case. However, they did their release their announcement through NW, so they kept it as an exclusive announcement through NW magazine. If you've got something such so special, like a baby, that's something that you've announced that privately, If there's no publicity or leveraging involved here, why do you need to announce it through a glossy mag Look.
Speaker 2: I am going to play Devil's advocate a little bit, but I can see both sides. If you're going to announce something anyway this I'm not saying I would do this, but I can see why they're like, Look, we're going to do it anyway.
Speaker 1: Why don't we make a few thousand dollars doing it?
Speaker 2: Put it away for the baby, you know, if it's like that, if it's for the baby's future, et cetera, et cetera. I can see like we're gonna do it anyway. But also I do feel a little bit sorry for them if it's not a publicity stand, which I don't think it is. You don't having a baby's a pretty big publicity start, because that's a commitment.
Speaker 1: That it's a long term goal, that is a real long goal. Right.
Speaker 2: I think they're a really controversial couple, so I think that anything they do, the media and the public are going to label that as a publicity stunt. Imagine that living like that, that would be really really hard. That you can't scratch yourself without someone saying or you're doing it for money, or you're doing it for fame.
Speaker 1: I agree that is a shit label to have. However, if you're so concerned about that label, would you then try and make hay when the sun shines and monopolize on the fact that you can make some money from your announcement. It sits a bit uncomfortably with me because I think it's hard to say that there's nothing about it that you're going to gain from it from a publicity's sake. If you're going to go down the route of using the magazine to announce your pregnancy, Yeah, it's pretty controversial. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And the only other thing that didn't sit right with me was the fact that they both independently made a comment that the ex partners had fertility problems.
Speaker 1: I didn't like that. I did read that as well. It seems pretty insensitive to even really need to talk about your exes at all when you're having a baby announcement with someone else. Yeah, it should really be. The focus should be on your relationship and on what you're creating together, not to bring in other people's struggles and difficulties, which is such an incredibly sensitive issue into your announcement because Aaron and Nick they don't have a voice in this and they're not able to express how they feel. To kind of drag them into it and to comment on what they can and can't have and their fertility struggles is incredibly insensitive. It's just a.
Speaker 2: Very very personal topic and it should be theirs, and there's only to discuss in a public manner.
Speaker 1: So I agree that wasn't cool with me. But good luck to them. Congratulations that happy couple. We hope that you have a beautiful, healthy baby. I really do hope that they have a beautiful, healthy baby, because that at the end of the day, regardless of any sentiment or any motivation behind it, or even how they execute all of their milestones coming up, there is the baby involved and that is the biggest part of this. So I really hope that everyone else can get on board and be supportive. But moving along.
Speaker 2: Laura Batch recap Episode five the Dog. See you next Tuesday.
Speaker 1: Holy moly, guaca mole, Holy moly, guaca moly. Does anyone remember that are you five? No? That was on Ali's season of the Bachelor. I was doing a quote. I didn't watch it. I missed that. Sorry, Oh my gosh, why is she here? Can someone tell me why Brittany is commentating on a reality TV podcast when she doesn't watch reality TV? I've got some real issues with this. Now, I'm here for the lulls. Yeah, are you here so that I can recap it to you so that you know what's going on. I openly will admit I didn't really watch all of Allie's season either. I was really batched out. That was straight off the back of my season. You're coming in hot. But anyway, forgive you for this. I was having a mine a meltdown in my room. So long as you are dedicated to the cause from here on in, girlfriend, so dedicated? We need to talk about well, let's start from the start.
Speaker 2: I know we want to jump into see next Tuesday. No, I was just saying, we need to talk about Abby. Oh yeah, abdog ab doc.
Speaker 1: Yeah. She had a single date. Yeah she did, and she squished fruit with her feet. Gross. She's very handsy, she's very flirtatious. She knows what she wants and she's going to go get that.
Speaker 2: A lot of sexual chemistry. We've seen that on all of their dates and all of their single time, but I think this date, Matt was like, Okay, cool, I get her, we can make out. We need to see there's more.
Speaker 1: She did bring the chat to the table when she started talking about her family and she was talking about how she had a difficult relationship with her dad leaving that was that was really good because that kind of cushioned the rest of the of the controversial chat. I was like, oh, girlfriend, I feel you. And I was like, oh, you got me with a knife when she started talking about Monique spot Yes, So for those of you who don't know, Abby kind of threw Manique under the bus a little bit, kinda did she did that? She slaughtered her with a bus. And it was coming off the back of the last episode where Monique had had a single date and she'd macked on with Matt and then Matt had come into the cocktail party and macked on with Abby, and Abby had really come back from her macking on date and told every much macking, there's so much macking. What then happened was Monique obviously was a little bit annoyed. She said some pretty colorful things about Matt, which, look, the sea bomb is probably not really an acceptable thing to ever call anyone. I don't really see how it can can be a joke, which is what she was trying to phrase it as.
Speaker 2: Later, well, I think what she means is and I guess I can see this in a way. To me, the sea word is the most disgraceful, disgusting word, and I can't even bring myself to say it in it if I'm retelling a story.
Speaker 1: I just don't like it. But the way she speaks, Laura is.
Speaker 2: Like, oh, looking at me, Like sometimes sometimes I say it for me, No, for me, it's a no if. Actually, if I'm talking to a guy and he says it, it's an immediate turn off, and in my mind, I'm like, I strike him out. Like I won't say it on this podcast because we're.
Speaker 1: Not r rated, but from time to time, if I won't say it about someone, would you say it? Well, I can't say it on the podcast. I don't know. I wouldn't say it as a joke. I guess I would say it about something. Start again from the top. Maybe I'll delete this. I don't need the world note that I've got a potty bouth. Also, if you listen to the way she talks, that sort of is her vibe. She's a bit of a.
Speaker 2: Rough diamond and her vocabulary is questionable, so I could see it thrown out there is sort of funny colloquial, but maybe that just is her Okay.
Speaker 1: But heading back to Abby and Abby telling Matt on the date what Manique said? What do you think of that? Yeah, I can't look out if that was cool or not cool? Not cool? Well, so this is the.
Speaker 2: Thing, something that happened in our season two and I'm not going to say it, but the producers were really pushing us anyone whoever, they didn't care, pushing someone to go and tell Nick what was said. No one did because it was quite down to the end as well. They was sort of getting me to do it, and I said, there's no way I'm going to do that. He can work this out on his own, essentially, and it's not my job. And I didn't feel comfortable going and throwing someone else under the bus. So I didn't and no one did.
Speaker 1: We all ignored it. So I don't know how I feel about her doing it. Well, my issue with the whole thing is more the fact that you have very limited time to talk about yourself. Why would you waste your date bitching about what somebody else said and what no one else probably has realized? And I was like, hah, I know something's happening here is on a single date. Once you get given a rose, that single date is over. You don't have extended time flapping around in a pool making out. Oh you're input on a chain and you were dragging out it. It's like, cool, we got what we came for, Thanks guys, Out we go. Abby got her rose sitting on the couch, and then all of a sudden that's like, hey, let's go get in the jacuzzi and make out some more, which made me realize, I know that something else is coming. This day was already premeditated, That conversation was already set up, because there's no way in hell they would have given Abby that extra one or one time. So they probably kind of dangled it in front of her as a carrot and said ribe for sure, Yeah, if you tell Matt, then you'll get extra time with him, you'll get to get in the pool, you can get real handsy. So I guess she thought maybe she was leveraging it to the best of her ability. However, the messenger never comes out on top, it's not gonna end well for her.
Speaker 2: And she also would have thought that Monique is starting to be a real threat, So that was her chance to, I guess, sort of not a competitor out a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's really childish. It's a really childish way of doing it. And I think that most people can kind of see through through the motivating factors in that, because she was in the pool smiling, being like, I just have to tell you because I just want to do the right thing by you KII So whose side were you on? Monique's or Abby's? I think they've both done the wrong thing. They both probably should have just left. Matt is smart enough, he's good enough at the game that he's going to be able to figure out who's in there for the right reasons. I don't think that you need to point it out for him, because it doesn't make you look good and it's really hard.
Speaker 2: Did you have anybody on your season that was just polar opposite alone in the house with you guys to when the cameras came on and The Bachelor came on. Yes, it's hard to watch. So if that's the case, I guess maybe there was some frustration in there as well that do you know what?
Speaker 1: We did actually have a couple of girls who in our season were really quite mean behind the camera, and then when the cameras were on were like, it's showtime, but their true colors came out on the screen anyway, So the villains that were the villains in our season were actually the villains in the house, so there wasn't a mismatch, and nobody had to stand up and jump up and down and say, hey, that person's really mean. Matt just figured it out on his own. Yeah, and I know that our Astrobatchy would have figured out.
Speaker 2: And also the producers are there saying, you know, he should know, he deserves to know. So you have this outside pressure to it on the spot of like maybe I should tell him, you know, I don't know. I have to keep an open mind now since I've done it, I have to be open about it, and I can't jump to any conclusions because I know what happens in there. Okay, So moving quite along, Helena gets a date.
Speaker 1: They go to the pearl factory, the pearl factory, the insemination factory. It was so sexual, wasn't it. The sexual innuendos were way too over the top every episode of This Bachelor. I don't know how they make the most meaningless trivial activities so heated and sexual. We're making a baby, yeah, just get it in there like you like that. It was just a bit too much. Yeah, and they hadn't even kissed and they were making babies. What about the reference to the pearl necklace at the end? Yeah, right, google that because that's also not g reck. I actually had to google it. I knew it was something, but I didn't know what. It's actually taken me by surprise. And how sexual Matt is.
Speaker 2: I didn't think when he came on as this nerdy astrophysicist bachelor, I thought it was going to be all chats and intellectuals.
Speaker 1: But it's been pretty I rated. Do you know what I think it is? I think he's just this mega nerd that's never had chicks like falling all over him before, and now he's like, I am a guy. I love me. So he's just out there waving his little rocket around so excited. Everything was it my arm action for the rocket. Then he's going to see Laura's hand gestures right now, she's so animated with his rocket. But it's so so sexuals. I kind of got to a point with that date where I was like, all right, we get it. You guys are gonna get it on. And then they didn't get it on exactly. It stopped doing those hands. Sorry make me so uncomfortable, I know, And then he kissed her on bom bomba the cheek and then they just both got up and walked on opposite directions off screen. It was really sad the end of their day. And I know that they were trying to the Bachelotte franchise was trying to frame it as Matt's a good guy. He's not out there kissing all these people. He has sexual allegings. Matt has feelings too. He's, you know, an oppressed white man that gets to choose between all of the women. It's hard for him, Brittany, it's hard. It is hard, and I feel for the guy. Yeah, yes, totally so he has an awkward date with Elena, although I do really like her. Then we end up at the cocktail party where Matt confronts Monique.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I do feel sorry for all the other girls at the cocktail party because Inspector Gadget, I mean, Matt did spend all his time with these two girls, Abby and Monique and just trying to work out what had happened.
Speaker 1: But I think every other girl got forgotten. It was no, it was just so high school, the fact that he interrogated every single other girl that was there and was like, cigand what did Monique say about me? Chelsea? What did Manique say about me? Did Monique say this? And then at the end of it, he cracked the shits and walked out. It was to me, it was just very, very childish, especially because he didn't even send either of the girls home. He sent lovely ukulele girl home, I know, and I loved her. I loved ukulele girl Julia. She has a name, Laura. Ukulele girl was great. So I'm going to do that thing where I am probably too nice and fight you on this one. But I did think it was high school.
Speaker 2: Yes, but if you were in his position, and you really you had two people's word against each other, that's it, and you like both of them, but you know one of them is doing the wrong thing.
Speaker 1: Off with their heads, all of them. I never would have survived in the quit of Scott's age, would I. You would have just annihilated me. And yes, I appreciate it if you've got feelings for both of them, you want to get to the bottom of it.
Speaker 2: But Laura was talking about The Bachelor, there's never going to be an episode without drama.
Speaker 1: We need the series.
Speaker 2: What would have happened in that episode? Honestly if he didn't investigate who said what?
Speaker 1: And he would have been heckled from production to try and get to the bottom of it, So it would have been off. Yeah, it would have been motivated by production to really take a deep dive. I just thought it went on too long and it got a bit of high school and it was interesting to see a lot of the other girl's responses. Well, most of the girls were annoyed to Abby, even though they knew man he could set it. They were pissed off at Abby. Yeah, like girl code, isn't it. I guess at the end of the day, things that have said within the mansion, especially things that have said under frustration, shouldn't then be repeated to the bachelor. To try and one up yourself and to get ahead of the race just means that you become untrustworthy in everyone else's eyes. So Abby has a massive target on her back. Now, Yeah, I think there's another side we might not have seen yet. In comparison to that episode, the next episode was pretty boring. I think the highlight from the next episode was just Chelsea's day. No, what the hell.
Speaker 2: I loved their group date. It was like a fight to the death for the bouquet.
Speaker 1: Then Matt slung with this sling shot. It really took things from zero to hero with a whole wedding dress thing.
Speaker 2: It was for me, it was quite a laughable, embarrassing date, and I think the girls felt that too. You could see them sitting there in their wedding dresses being like, what are we doing?
Speaker 1: Yeah, they got into it. I liked it. I kind of liked the date.
Speaker 2: I literally was a fight to the death between Abby and Monique.
Speaker 1: And everyone was hell bent on getting Abby out. Abby really has become like the unassuming villain in this hole. But seas. To be fair, Abby was quite athletic.
Speaker 2: She's just doing some leaps and lunges and tumbles and she caught so many both.
Speaker 1: No, but do you not remember the second part of that date where they had to try and do the compatibility tests and Matt was asking questions, you know, like when do you want to get married? And then they had to say A B or C and pick, and Abby was choosing the answers that she knew were most relative to Matt instead of choosing the answers that were genuine to her. So she said that in the next two years. It was a two years, five years, who knows, very soon she wants to be married and have babies. And now the other girls are like, girlfriend, you are lie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but apparently she told them she didn't want kids in anywhere in the near future.
Speaker 1: If ever, well she's young, you know, and maybe she doesn't want kids. Does she want them in the next two years. I'm gonna call bullshit on that one. So what did you think of Chelsea's date?
Speaker 2: Chelsea's date was super cute. I mean, you could see that little food fight a mile away.
Speaker 1: It was a bit contrived, but I still like them. They are. I mean the match. There was this moment at the end of the food fight where they were having this really cute moment, but I couldn't take it seriously because Chelsea had the biggest clump of dough on her eyelashes and I just looked like conjunctividers and I couldn't look at her. I was like, girl, wipe your eye now, why are you leaving that shit in her eye? I actually thought that the food fight went from being cute to just being a bit disgusting, like, oh yeah, lo, let's throw some flower and then Chelsea's base it in batter from her to toe. It was and I'm I'm just gonna also call bullshit. And the fact that they did not make that banana bread it looked too good. That came from the art department her hands down, that was from a top notch bakery. All yeah, they just like oh, and He's like.
Speaker 2: Look at how we cooked at its moist and I'm like, you have not seen that you did not make that?
Speaker 1: Here is one we prepared earlier. I thought that they were really sweet together. She's been cast very well to match all of his criteria. She is the nerd he is a nerd. They talk about nerd stuff together, and they're going to go live in nerd village and have nerd babies Nerd Squared. Yes, I think he's a nerd to the power of Nerd.
Speaker 2: I'm just going to throw this out there to Chelsea's body.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's starting that under there, wasn't she. She's a hot nerd.
Speaker 2: But he's a hot nerd too, So the hot Nerd squaredes loved it.
Speaker 1: And then after Chelsea's date, we got into the cocktail party and Matt gave him a nickue the boot. Yes, straight up out of here girlfriend. Yeah, he's all business, wasn't he. He's like, I can't trust you. We can't go any further. Do you want me to leave?
Speaker 2: I think he was supposed to say no, but he didn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but don't you think it's funny that the motivating factor for her getting kicked out was the fact that she wouldn't run around an oval after the bouquet like he was, like, she just didn't try on the group date. That really didn't try hard enough. But that really frustrated me. She needs to run after flowers for me to prove her love.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that actually really frustrated me because I don't think you can use that as a reason at all. She was standing there saying, this is ridiculous. I'm not going to go and fight Abby in the mud for a bouquet to prove my worth and how much I care for Matt.
Speaker 1: I just don't think that shows it. However, she did get herself into a sticky situation with this whole thing, and she probably needed to do something to try and show that she was remorseful. I think, to be honest, I don't think she did that. No. I just think that he knew it wasn't her and he didn't want her there anymore, and he needed a reason, and so he was grasping at straals and his reason happened to be she didn't fight to the death and see you next Tuesday, also a pretty hectic reason. If someone premier someone called me a seepeep, I would definitely be like, I think it's time to part ways. The other heartbreak of the evening was Vaco Fucka. I know she's a sweetheart, but she was very, very giggly on her extra time with Matt, and I could see that from a mile away that she was going to be leaving them yet.
Speaker 2: And she's so stunning. But they just had nothing in common. But that's part of dating. You're going to meet people that you get along with, like a house on fire, or that you just share no similarities with. And I think those two are just two beautiful humans independently, but they just don't work.
Speaker 1: No, they had no vibe and no chemistry. I don't know if she was nervous. Do you think the giggles Was it just nerves, very nervous, yeah, Or was it because she just didn't know what to say because she has nothing in common with him. Probably a bit of a mixture of both. They don't They are from different worlds and they were never going to mesh in this environment. But she was a sweet and I really enjoyed her commentary throughout the whole thing.
Speaker 2: I think we can probably take Salas in the fact that she's going to be on Bachelor in Paradise in a bikini and looking like a million dollars.
Speaker 1: We have not seen the last of it. I will put money on the fact that both Manig and Vaku will be in Batch and Paradise. I feel like a lot of this cast will be Actually, will you be on Batch in Paradise, Brittany, don't make me laugh. No one needs to see this in a bikini. Now that's not even true. To stop, Let's get into our main chat, and that is is it possible to have it all? Can we have it all? And?
Speaker 2: Actually, Laura, what does it all even mean these days?
Speaker 1: Can we have the career, the family, the children, the husband?
Speaker 2: Can we have the social circle, the holidays, the house, the pick of fence, the dogs?
Speaker 1: Is it possible to do it all equally? What do you think? Me? What do I think? You're the other person in the room on the podcast, So yeah, hi, what do I think? It's possible for women to have it all? But they cannot have it all at the same time because in order to do one job well, you need to really throw yourself into that. To do your career and to be successful in a high powered career, you need to throw yourself into that career to do that, that's time away from your children. So how on earth are you supposed to be a wonderful successful mum, a wonderful successful business woman and not sacrifice anything in between? The thought that we keep perpetuating that it is possible only puts added stress and anxiety on women who aren't achieving those things and feel like they're failing. Well, something has to suffer, doesn't it. It always will, Something will always suffer. And also I think your idea of having it all changes with as you grow as a person.
Speaker 2: So I remember when I was probably twenty six, I was living in Sydney and Bonny in an amazing house. I had two careers that were going really really well. I have an amazing family. I lived on the beach. You know, I had this amazing life. Some would say like I had it all, but I was always feeling less fulfilled, and what it all meant to me kept changing, because once I had what I thought it all was, you want more. You always want more, so all of a sudden all became something different to me.
Speaker 1: It's so true.
Speaker 2: So then I chased this travel dream. I was like, well, I haven't traveled the world yet, so that's what all is. So I went and did that, and then I went and studied again, and it just kept on snowballing.
Speaker 1: And things do suffer.
Speaker 2: So even now you and I, I guess, are trying to have it all by juggling multiple careers and a baby, and I think to at some point we're already suffering. We're both walking zombies, but we're fighting to fill our life with the idea of that we can do anything we want to know in ourself that it's possible. No one's going to tell you that you can't take on a third job because you have a baby, Laura. You know that's I think internally we're like, well I can. I'm not going to let one thing stop me.
Speaker 1: So true. I almost get to a point sometimes where I think, but it's not worth it. I don't want to have it. All that just sounds exhausting.
Speaker 2: I actually read an interesting article that was written by a woman called Anne Marie Slaughter. She basically was the first woman director of policy planning at the State Department. So she was rubbing shoulders with the Obamas, and she was basically the dream if you're in that industry. She had worked so hard to get there, and she had thought it was all she had ever wanted, and she was about to re sign on for another two year term and all she could think about. She said, I was at this function and the Obamas were there, and we were having this great old time, and I had realized I had made it, but all I could think about was my fourteen year old son at home and the fact that he'd been playing up at school and wasn't listening to twenty adults. And that was because she had dedicated her time to her career, and at that moment when she thought she had it all and she was nailing it, she didn't sign on anymore and went home to her son, even though she had finally had her dream jobbing her hands, because she said, it's just not possible. And I think a large part of that also stems from this fact that we still make men the breadwinner, and we need to change the way we look at men and women and their roles because men are still trained to think, and a lot of women also judge a man on how much they earn in their career goals, even if we don't want to admit it.
Speaker 1: It's sort of like, what do you do, Oh, that's a successful job. But if we.
Speaker 2: Change that to workplaces and employers and employees and everyone else having this equal view that men and women can be the caregiver, then I think the roles will start to change and we might be able to have it at all. Because all will be inclusive of a man looking after a child as well.
Speaker 1: Do you know what I mean by saying that? Yeah, I do. I definitely do, And I think that there are aspects of it that we're getting closer towards. I mean, I was having this conversation with Matt recently about paternity leave and how a lot of businesses are bringing in paid an equal paternity leave for their partners, and I think that that's wonderful. But at the same time, I was saying to Matt, there is a very real physical recovery period that comes from having a baby. Maternity is necessary because you have just physically birthed a child. There is a huge taxing time frame that comes from being a woman and having a baby that men don't have. In order to have it all, you really need to have help, and lots of help costs lots of money. So to have it all, you need to have lots of money, and it's so unfair and so unrealistic. Cycle. Yeah, for the majority of people, we don't have this disposable income where we can throw money at the problem. And it made me think of this conference that I went to Colled She Runs the World. There was this woman speaking at it named Gillian Franklin, who owns and was the CEO of a makeup online makeup company called hete Very Very Successful, and she spoke about how the reason why she can have it all in her career is because she doesn't do anything with her children that don't add value. So the cooking, the cleaning, all those aspects of her life, she doesn't feel that they add value to the relationship that she has with her children, and so she has someone else to do that. And at the time, I was listening to this speech and I thought, you're so right. Don't do anything that doesn't add value to your life. And now that I'm in this phase of my life, like I was sold a goddamn lie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because easier said than done. It's such money and a lot of it.
Speaker 1: It's such an entitled and privileged thing to outsource areas of your life such as the cooking and the cleaning. What about the person who is the cook and the person who is the cleaner. They don't have the ability to outsource those areas of their life. And it's very possible that they have children as well, and they're trying to work and manage and live this dream of having it all.
Speaker 2: I think the majority of the population, especially you know, I think Australia is in the top ten most expensive cities in the world. Majority of the population are just trying to get by.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they don't have choice of saying I'm not going to cook today, it doesn't serve my purpose today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's very I think it's a very privileged debate to even consider can I have it all? Can I have the travel, Can I have the kids? Can I have the family? And I think the only way that we're going to be able to overcome this idea of having it all is by redefining what having it all means, because what having it all means to me is very different what having it all means to you.
Speaker 2: I actually find this really interesting. My brother has a seventeen month old son, and he and his partner are both working in the bank in finances, and they both have very good jobs. And my sister in law was quite on her way to working herself up to a job she had wanted for a long time. My brother really wanted a child, it was what he really wanted, so she ended up saying, Okay, we'll do this, but I can't take a year of maternity to leave off, because at that point in her life, she was really adamant that she was going to continue to get to this job, this position she wanted to yes had her goals. So my brother said, absolutely, fine, I will be the state home dad, even though he had this great job too. So she took the first three months off and breastfed and then she would express. After that she went back to work, and then my brother took another six months off and he and Parker he was the state at home mum and for him or the stay at home dad. Well, he was a state home dad and for him that was what having it all was for him at that point.
Speaker 1: It was the opposite.
Speaker 2: It was giving up his crew at that point because all for him was family At that moment.
Speaker 1: Just really took my hat.
Speaker 2: Off to both of them because there was no specific set role and it wasn't like, oh, you can't do that because it's the mum's job.
Speaker 1: Sort of thing. I think that's amazing. I still think that that's the minority, though. I do think that the majority of the household work and the majority of the family care kind of falls on the matriarch. It falls on the females of the family, and I know that that is shifting in some aspects in some relationships, but I don't think overall we've had a huge shift in that role. No. But that goes back to what I said earlier.
Speaker 2: If we slowly as a society start to change our views that we can equally be breadwinners and caregivers, that having.
Speaker 1: It all will be more achievable. Personally, I had a different thought process when I was going into having kids. I really thought that Matt and I would be very fifty to fifty in our role in raising Maley. And we're very fifty to fifty obviously in our love and our commitment to her. But when it comes to the day to day, I think I lived in a bit of a fantasy world where I thought that it would be more even, and it's just fallen on me that I do the primary load of the silent work. I'm the one that takes care of her most of the day, and that's my role. And it's not because Matt and I work different amounts. We still both work the same amount of hours in the day. It's just that I think that there is this still this expectation that the mother takes care of the children. In a lot of relationships and a lot of families, No, And I think.
Speaker 2: It comes down to compromise and just really bringing it to the table for each other. So my brother and his partner are just a couple goals because they both work so hard and sacrifice different like this, she wanted that child.
Speaker 1: I don't want you to think it she didn't. Yeah, no, but she wants it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: She walks in the door after work and he doesn't leave her side, you know. And then my brother will go and have his time, or he'll cook the dinner while she spends the time with a baby. But they just made it work together because they both knew what they wanted and they made it happen. And I love that and I hope to see a.
Speaker 1: Lot more of that in the future. Basically, for all the bra burning that was done, it wasn't done so that women can have it all. It was done so that we have choice. We have the option to have it all. Absolutely, having it all is being able to choose the parts that you want for yourself. And we have the freedom to do that now, not the necessity of having to do it all. At the same time, I don't love the term either having it all, because I do think it implies that what you have at that time is not enough. Yeah, and so a lot of people always think it's not enough, and they're wanting more, and they're not living in the moment and appreciating and being grateful for what they have. They're always striving for something else. And the fact of the matter is you're gonna get there, and you're gonna want something. You're gonna want more again. It's so true, isn't it. If you're an ambitious person and you're like, no one really stops and takes stock of where they're at five years ago. You are now exactly where you wanted to be five years ago. You've succeeded, you've achieved all those things. But no one sits in that moment and goes, God, I'm successful. Everyone sits in that moment and goes, well, I'm not there yet. I need to be here now, what can I do better? Totally so in saying that, and I think it is coming back to what you've just said that it's this continuously unattainable goal of having it all because you're never there. You never actually think you have it, even when you do have it. Retrospect is a beautiful thing to be able to look back and go, oh, actually remember that time when I was really happy and I did have all those beautiful things in my life. Because there's ebbs and flows. What you have now you may not have in ten years time. So I do think that we need to be really appreciative of where we're at and the wonderful things that we've achieved in our life at every point along the journey.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I think for everyone listening now, just take a moment, think of what you've got right now, think of what you've achieved, and just live in it. You'll never ever have this day again. Taking time to be appreciative.
Speaker 1: Laurie, you and I looking at each other now talking about this, we're really really have taken it to heart. What we're saying, we're believing. The look in your eyes is you're like, you're thinking of Miley and Matt right now. I'm so grateful. I can read you like a book. I am so grateful. And I sometimes think we're so busy that we don't We were rushing, and we're always rushing. We live in this culture where it's almost like a state of symbol to be really busy. Oh I'm really busy. No one wants to say, actually, I'm not busy at all. I'm super lazy. I'm going home to now, go on home to Yeah. It's almost like you're not doing enough, You're not successful enough. You haven't you haven't packed enough stuff into your day. This concept you're like, oh, you're only working three jobs. Oh, I'm doing four, you know, like or the fact that you're doing for makes you more important, yeah, which it does not. Busyness that we live our lives in now is meant to be a status symbol of being successful, but it really all it means is that we're so our time is so full that we don't have the ability to be introspective and to take time to appreciate what we're doing. So I do agree with that, Britt. I think it's so important to take time and really reflect on how far you've come on what you've achieved, and what having it all is right now. This chat has been something I've been thinking a lot about and really contemplating whether it is possible to have it all, And I think we can both agree it's not possible to have it all at once at once, but also in the very confined ideology of what having it all is. You can have it all so long as your idea of having it all is contentment beautiful. All right, well that was harmonious. Do you feel transcendent now? My people? People have in touch? What have we signed up for? That's your motivation? Monday on a Wednesday? Okay, time for our favorite segment, ask uncut. Okay, today you come to us for all of your unsolicited relationship advice. And do I have a doozy for you? Laura? I don't even know what this one is yet, so hit me with it. No. Look, we try to not tell each other because we want a response that's real and on the spot, completely uneducated and ill informed and unresearched. That's exactly what we're trying to bring to you today. Thoughts on hall passes? Can a relationship? Yeah? I know.
Speaker 2: Can a relationship be strong and long lasting if you involve hall passes in the relationship. We have spoken about it, and we think we should both have a hall pass with rules of course, annually or semi annually or just something because our relationship is great but it's never been mind blowing in bed.
Speaker 1: This is a question that was actually sent to us. Yeah, word for word quote. Wow. Yeah, So long story short, sex isn't great, but they love each other. They think that they should be able to stray once or twice a year. What do you think about that? Okay? My question is are you going to get enough sexual gratification from having sex with a random person once or twice a year? Is that really going to profoundly impact your sexual relationship with your partner? That's a solid question, that's I mean, I don't have the answer for that because I'm well, I'm not in a relationship that I have to worry about the mismatch there. But hey, daily Mail, take that one ahead. Wait to gloat over the top of somebody's really serious question as well. What a dickhead? I am back on track. Okay, So my question, that's that's my question is is is one or once or twice going to actually give you that gratification and be and be exciting enough that it's going to fulfill you and sustain you for the year that you have where you feel like you're mismatched. Is the mismatch in your sexual relationship because your partner has a lot of libido than you, or is it just that you're not putting the effort in, Because it sounds like if they're both unsatisfied, then they both need to step up to the plate and try a bit harder.
Speaker 2: I think both of them need to. She hasn't said, but I'm assuming they haven't sat down and had a serious chat because I think a lot of couples find it hard to admit to the other person that maybe they're not getting what they need.
Speaker 1: Yeah sexually, well, it can be a real blow to the ego to be told that that your partner is not happy with your sexual performance. It's one of those.
Speaker 2: Really tough conversations that has to be had, but no one has them. We avoid them like the plague. But if you're I mean, the next forty or fifty sixty years is a long time to be with somebody that a you're not happy with and b you're not comfortable with enough to sit down and have that conversation. So I think first of all, they need to talk to each other, and by the sounds of it, they both know that they're not happy in bed, So let's just say okay, what are you not happy with or what are you wanting or do you want to try something else? Or I think that they need to start there before they go hall passing.
Speaker 1: I totally agree. I do not think that having a hall pass is going to be a healthy, long term solution to being unhappy sexually with your partner. To be fair, also, I'm not I'm not gonna say I'm not. I'm not against it.
Speaker 2: If for that couple, if that works for them, great, if they're gonna have if that is actually going to allow them to have a really long lasting, happy relationship, I mean, I can't see how it would.
Speaker 1: But I think if you're open in any relationship, there's no there's no rules to what the perfect relationship is and should be. Individuals are so different, do you know, I know, I know, it's just trying to look at both sides. I do agree. I do think that like what what works for one person doesn't work for somebody else. And I do think that there's different strokes for different folks. Literally, Oh my god. However, watching The Bachelor too much, I know he put some innuendos in there, but I do think that that is a very slippery slope. For the majority of people. Having hall passes in your relationship is only going to complicate things more and it's going to create jealousy, it's going to create more insecurities. Yeah. So she says there's rules, but she hasn't said what, And I'm going to assume the rules are maybe I watched too many movies, but that you never speak about it, like you know, what happens at flight club stays at fight club. I don't think that having a hall pass is the healthy place to start. I really think that if they love each other and they're both sexual unsatisfied, then they can work towards you know, what is it that you like? What can I do for you? And really put effort into their relationship first before trying to find external means to fix a problem. Yeah. So basically she wants to know, do we think the relationship will still be strong and long lasting? It looks like you're going with no. I'm going with no.
Speaker 2: I am going to say long term no, But I do think give it a whirl.
Speaker 1: If you have the chat. I think chat to each other first, Go give it a whirl. Say you're going to do it once and see how you feel. Because you think, try it. You're saying go for it.
Speaker 2: I think try it, because why not if if it doesn't work?
Speaker 1: But what if jealousy sets in and then they're not able to overcome that, and then you're not with the right person and you've figured that out. Better to figure it out now than in five.
Speaker 2: Years time when you're married with a child and your husband still wants to go and sleep with people.
Speaker 1: Wow, that was really depressing. We just went from being so uplifting and taking time and focusing on what we can appreciate in life to hear well, I really wanted that. I really want to give this girl my honest opinion because she's in a shitty well. She's given her the worst opinions. We've given her two conflicting ones, and now she's back on the fence. I mean, what's wrong with trying it? Because I think that once you try it, you can't come back from there. So I think that there's so many other things that they need to do first in order to try and mediate this issue. They need to try and sexually get on the same page, and maybe maybe before they take this decision, go and see a counselor oh for sure, speak to a relationship counselor about what this actually looks like if they're going to go down this route, because there is no coming back from it once you have had a sexual relationship with somebody else outside of your own relationship. Do we have another question from ask guncut? We do.
Speaker 2: We actually have about two hundred and fifty questions, but I have picked one. Okay, Yeah, so there is this lovely girl.
Speaker 1: We will not be getting to all two hundred and fifty today, but please keep them coming. Yeah, we are trying.
Speaker 2: There is a lovely girl who is in a relationship and his best friend has been hitting on her.
Speaker 1: And it was very subtle at the start. I saw this question. Come.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was very subtle at the start, and she wasn't sure it was actually happening.
Speaker 1: And then it started. She's one hundred percent now. It started to become a lot more over. Yep.
Speaker 2: And it started to happen in front of the best friend as well, like the little passes and things. But he hasn't noticed. Other people are noticing.
Speaker 1: Girl. She doesn't know what to do. I have the easiest solution for you. You need to pull that guy aside. You need to pull your boyfriend's best friend aside and tell him you've noticed what he's doing. It's inappropriate and you would like him to stop. Otherwise you'll be telling your boyfriend. Well, that's the thing. Does she just tell the boyfriend though, or should she be keeping that? No? Look, I don't think that you want to go and just ruin your boyfriend's relationship with his best friend. Yes, the guy may be flirting, he hasn't done anything outwardly like, he's not done anything to a point that I think like had her against incriminating. Well, that's sexual assault, but he's not anything that's incriminating that's put her in a position where she feels incredibly uncomfortable. If he has done that, then I think go straight to your partner. But if you're only in a situation where it's becoming increasingly uncomfortable and increasingly obvious, chances are your boyfriend is going to notice sooner or later and to just nip it in the butt, I would go straight to the sauce and say you make me uncomfortable. I do not have feelings for you. I'm in love with my boyfriend. You need to stop, because I will be going and telling him that will be the next Yes, it's confrontational and no one's going to enjoy that, but if you're serious about wanting it to stop, and you're not feeding off the attention at all, you need to nip that in the butt, in the butter and the butt. I actually was just watching say that butt, and I wanted to tell you it's the butt, not in the but what in the butt? Yeah? I used actually say nipp it in the butt too too. My sister laughed in my face. Thanks for laughing in my face, Brittany. Yeah, I was going to tell you after the podcast, I'm glad you called yourself out on it. Oh my gosh, Okay, I think you, guys, I think that this one is actually a really simple question to answer.
Speaker 2: I think you're right just go and tell him back the hell off because it's not cool. I also wonder if she obviously hasn't made it clear enough that she's not into it and that it's inappropriate, but.
Speaker 1: Totally keep doing it.
Speaker 2: That's actually a really common thing too, that women feel like they can't just say no to somebody and we feel bad for.
Speaker 1: Telling someone else to back off.
Speaker 2: But girls, if you're ever in a situation where you feel uncomfortable like that. There is nothing wrong with being flat out rude sometimes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're so right in that that. We are very cushy sometimes with how we deliver our disapproval with something. In this instance, the only way that she's going to get a successful outcome is being very assertive. I agree. So there you go. There you have it. I love it when we agree. Yeah. I love it when we don't fence it. I love it when you don't fence it. I try not to. No, Sometimes it's nice to be the voice of reason in this.
Speaker 2: I always wi look at a situation two sides before I make my opinion, and then I'll get there.
Speaker 1: So sometimes it takes me a bit.
Speaker 2: It just takes me a bit longer to get there sometimes because I want to view it from both sides.
Speaker 1: Have you thought about your suck and sweet I actually did for one. I waited. I don't know what my suck and swing is. Well, let me go first and you think about it head. So my suck this week was that I had a flight canceled yesterday. Her suck was my suck. I had a babysitter. We were going to record this podcast yesterday and then bridge flight got canceled. Yeah, I mean it was Tiger Air. Shout out to Tiger Air. I'm never flying with you again because you just well you just do it all the time. Are you using our podcast to shit on Tiger Air? You know what they did?
Speaker 2: They emailed me at three am and said my flight was in the morning because we were coming back to record these podcasts. They email being said, sos dog, your flight's been canceled.
Speaker 1: Did they actually write so dog email? That's really impressive. I would be happy with it that. I embellished that. They said, sorry, missus Hockley, Miss sorry, my mistake.
Speaker 2: Sorry, miss Hockley, your flight has been canceled.
Speaker 1: But that was it.
Speaker 2: And they said here's a number to call later when you're away, because it's two.
Speaker 1: I am okay, So that is your suck. That's a pretty sucky suck, babe, My sweet was.
Speaker 2: I flew to the Gold Coast for the weekend with my family. I haven't seen my nephew and my mom and dad and my brother. It was just really awesome to get some quality family time. I'm so close to my family and I hadn't seen him in a long time, so I just feel a million dollars today.
Speaker 1: That's so nice. That was actually your sweet for last week because you pulled it forward because you were going to see them, and now you're sweet. Is that you actually saw that she's calling me out on the rules. No, I love it, No, I love it. I think it's so nice. I'm glad that you got to have weekend away with your family.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we drank too much wine, but I think it's it was always gonna happen, wasn't it.
Speaker 1: Look I mean, it's not a successful weekend without some wine drinking. I wouldn't know. I realized that I have not had more than two glasses of wine in over a year. Yeah, isn't that insane? Birthday on Wednesday, Brittany. It is. It's Britney's birthday, the day that this podcast comes out. It's Britney's birthday today.
Speaker 2: That's actually funny because I was really going to keep that on the lowdown.
Speaker 1: But everybody wish Brittany a happy birthday today because it's her birthday. I just don't do birthdays. I even took my birthday off Facebook, like the announcements so that no one. You're so mysterious. No, I just don't. I don't know. I just I don't know. Let's move along. But thank you for announcing that to Australia. That's so fun. That's what I'm here for, babe, just to make sure that the cutos gets given to you when you deserve it. Yep. So it is my birthday today, thank you? So my Can I start with my sweet you don't have to start with my role is a suck? Yeah? I feel like I've had a really good week, so great. Trying to think of a suck is a bit difficult, and I don't want to just throw something into the ring just for the sake of dwelling on something negative. I'm going to say, can be so trivial if that's the case totally. I'm going to say, just based on what we were talking about earlier in this episode, this feeling of being I feel like I'm very busy at the moment, and I'm just busy for busy's sake. So I think next week I really need to just take some time to eliminate some things that aren't adding anything to my day and they're just noise and hustle, and be a bit calmer that we know, me happy, you're going to eliminate more cleaning. My sweet for this week has probably also contributed to my suck. So my sweet this week was that Matt and I actually had quite a social weekend, which was amazing because it's really hard for anyone who has a newborn baby. You would appreciate that it's really difficult to maintain any semblance of a social life. And this weekend, Matt and night we did dinner on Saturday night, or we did dinner on Friday night, Saturday night and Sunday night. We were really ambitious. Who are you? I am wild? Didn't Marsh me wrong? Did Mary go to all these dinners? Yeah? So we I think we just got a bit over excited. Marley has gotten into an amazing routine where I now know that I can put her in there in the carrier, I can take her to dinner and she's going to sleep for a certain period, and we've kind of just worked out a really good routine, which means that at the moment we're able to go for dinners and enjoy ourselves and bring her along and she sleeps. I know that this is going to be short lived, and I know this is just a phase so we're trying to make the absolute most of it at the moment while she's in this sleep sort of routine. So well, my suite is contributing to my suck. Yeah that makes sense. Yes, fair.
Speaker 2: And while we're on the sinners that you went out twenty one times for dinner this week, do you have a recommendation for anyone? Did you eat anywhere that was amazing or by anyone?
Speaker 1: I mean me? You know you know that I am obsessed with Totty's. I knew you were going to say you were to Totti's. Totti's is this Italian restaurant. It's just down the road from us in Bondai, recessed. I also went to a really great for anyone who's vegan. I went to a really great vegan restaurant called Alibi, which is in the Ovolo Hotel in Wollemloo, and we did like a diggas thing that was Friday night. So I recommend that for anyone who's vegan. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I actually love vegan food when someone makes it for me. When I make it for myself, I sit down sec a lattice leaf and a bean wrapped together, and I'm like, why do people do this, but when I go to a vegan restaurant, I'm all over it.
Speaker 1: You're always amazed by the fact that you can actually make tasty, amazing meals. Yes, hands down. I thought this had just turned into an ad for the ovolo. We'll stop, We'll stop. Well, guys, you've made it this far, so thank you for listening to another episode of Life Uncut. We hope that you got something out of this, maybe something insightful. Maybe we made you laugh, maybe you laughed at Brittany. Thank you for visiting again. Guys. We absolutely love bringing you this. We have so much fun doing it, and next week we actually have a very exciting guest coming on, so we're super excited for that. We are. I am. I can't wait, So Laura, please tune in. I will be here because I think you're gonna like it. Sprightly, Guys, if you have enjoyed this episode, please please tell a friend, spread the good word, leave us a review. If you can be bothered and hit five stars lots of stars. Just share the luck, guys, Because we love love, I love you, and I love you