Speaker 1: It's in the news today, but it was actually on TV Reload, the podcast past deep theline. Welcome back, guys to TV Reload. My name is Benjamin Norris and this is your podcast to get all the inside goss on the popular TV shows you may be watching from around the world. Undeniably, our TV sets are a major part of our home entertainment, and yet very little is known about how our favorite shows get made. So each week I've been getting guests that want to dive just that little bit deeper into the shows they're currently making so that you can get all their exclusive stories and gain access to the biggest names in Australian television. I want to thank you for downloading or subscribing to this podcast however you are finding it. I love hearing your feedback, so make sure you leave a review or a comment on your chosen podcast platform. On today's podcast, I am lucky enough to be chatting to the first eliminated ladies from I'm a Celebrity, Get Me out of Here. I have contestant Bianca Hunt, most notable for her work on Indigenous to Strand television and as a TV presenter, and the delightful an Apollo view, who is an award winning pastry chef who you might have already known as we've seen her on quite a number of cooking shows. Both girls will chat to me about their time in the jungle. I will talk about the controversial Kerry Anne and whether Bianca had any demands going in. I will also awkwardly unpack Anna's girl crush on Dom and why the two connected so hard during their time on the show. I will also talk about dick O, Woody, Nick, Pete and Harry and find out who is the most popular man inside the show. I will also have some interesting questions about hierarchy and whether the celebs with more fame have a bigger advantage. And I'll also ask some interesting questions about whether or not we should be voting for charities over personalities. Plus, we will get plenty of exclusives from behind the scenes if I'm a Celebrity twenty twenty three, which is delighting fans on Channel ten, which you can now catch up on if you've been missing it on ten play at your convenience. Anyway, let's bring Bianchor into the podcast first and then stick around for Anna, who'll be coming up straight after. Anyway, I hope you enjoy part one of this first eliminated chat for twenty twenty three. Hi, bi Ancha, how are you Hi.
Speaker 2: I'm well, I've had my coffee or maybe two copies of my day, so I'm buzzing'.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: We'll see how she goes in a few hours.
Speaker 1: Congratulations on your time in the jungle. I loved watching you in there. Did you have a lot of fun?
Speaker 2: Thank you?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I did.
Speaker 2: I think for the first few days slash week, I was kind of like, oh what am I doing here? But that was definitely the energy of everyone in there. Because of course it was a massive adjustment. It's not something that I'm very used to. I don't camp, you know, been camping like twice in my life, so that's for me. You know, we're there, well, in there for seventeen days, so for me to like figure it out that long was pretty incredible on my behalf.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: It was a blessing, Like honestly, yeah, once in a lifetime kind of spot to be in that space and to be with everyone and just really detox from all things general life.
Speaker 1: Well, people can't see this because this is a podcast, but you look fucking gorgeous, Like, I don't know whether we all need to go and spend some time in the jungle, but good lord, good lord, friend, I have to ask you. One of my favorite questions to ask people is, now that you've been out of the jungle, what sort of feedback has surprised you since you've been out of there once you've spoken to say friends and family and had a look on, say, social media, has there been in a thing that sort of surprised you about what people are saying about your time in there.
Speaker 3: So I haven't.
Speaker 2: I'm not the sort of person that looked at comments regardless if they're positive or negative. It's probably just like the best thing for me from a mental health kind of point of view to just like not engage in those. So what I did engage with was my mate and just kind of getting their input and insight. And there was a lot of love. There was a lot of colorful words of me not saying anything to them and being like, hello, we would have loved to be like celebrating this and knowing before so we could get around it. And I'm like, yeah, but that's the whole suspense, that's the surprise of it. And you know, they knew I had a project coming up. The good thing about being in the TV industry is that you can say you have a project and they're going to assume it's something to do with, you know, a show of production or whatever. They never want to know what it is. So yeah, it was. It was really good, really positive feedback from my mate. So yeah, I couldn't couldn't hope.
Speaker 1: For anything else when you get the phone call to go and do something like this. You know, Kerry and Kelly were saying that, you know, she wanted to have her makeup. Did you try and suggest anything. Did you try and say, okay, great, thank you for asking, I am thinking about doing it, but X, Y and Z did you have any requirements?
Speaker 2: So I fully wanted to commit to the process of being in the jungle. From what I've seen of the shows in the years, like I didn't even think about Contraband, Like I really was, like, this is the first opportunity I've had over the last four years of me being in this industry where I can be myself completely. I don't think everyone got to see the complete sides of me, unfortunately, but you know, there's that I didn't have to wear makeup. You saw my natural hair, like in general, all that sort of stuff, So I really wanted to commit to that. And yeah, there's not a point now, I know, going on screen that I wouldn't have makeup on. So you know, it's like I really wanted to commit to that kind of effort. And you know, like, of course Terran committed to putting that into a contract, and I was like, you know what, sometimes people need you know that as a vice, and that's so fine. I would have loved to know, you know why, But you know, we didn't get that, and that's fine. But outside of that, I just really really wanted to commit to, yeah, just being there, being present, being myself and allowing people to kind of just get to know me in my natural state.
Speaker 1: What was it like, I mean, you know, yes, you're saying that you want to commit to it, but then it's another whole thing entirely to be in there.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Was it much harder than you thought it was going to be or was it just as rough as you expected?
Speaker 3: A bit of both.
Speaker 2: So it's like I knew it was going to be rough, like we're going to obviously, like in the sense that we you know, we didn't have to creach comfort that we normally have obviously, like the bed. To me, it was fine to others might a bit.
Speaker 3: Of it painful for them.
Speaker 2: I didn't mind being as sleeperback, I didn't mind being outside. I actually really enjoyed it. I loved hearing nature and being in nature, which was an interesting one for me because normally it's a little bit different, like I could be a little bit more like, oh, I don't know, it's.
Speaker 3: A little bit you know.
Speaker 2: I'm hearing too many things and I'm feeling too many bugs on me. But outside of that, like the detoxes are incredibly real. The food being taken away, like not having sugar, not having like it's very minimal carbs, sort of you know, protein, all of that sort of stuff. You're not eating as much as you normally would. That very much hit. But once they kind of got over that. Honestly, it was just that sort of thing where we're like, okay, we're in here, like we're used to this, this is our norm now. Yeah, so I kind of got really used to it, and then like by the time I got really used to it or kicked out, so there you.
Speaker 1: Go, like all right, it's all over.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: Do you think back to my phone, thank you.
Speaker 1: Give me my phone back right now?
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Do you think that the level of how well people are known is a bit of an unfair disadvantage with some celebs who may not have had as many big headlines.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like, I mean it's an interesting one because of course I knew coming into this I was a new innate, so that side of things was not, I guess, like a surprising one to me. Like, of course, like some of them, I've either like pick or I brought up watching you know, and I was idle when he you know, again there's some cultural words and was a very known judge for what for what he did, and some of the others like Pete and and all of that. I wasn't familiar with deb very much. Like there was a lot of people in there that actually wasn't familiar of So it was just good to be in there and get to know everyone. I guess in a very like I know bits and pieces of you, but I really just want to get to know you. So I think that was like a really good benefit. Of course, when we're in there, we don't know what's being talked about what's going to air, what conversations are kind of happening. So I think that's the biggest one that you can't really control, is you're having all of these conversations and not everything's going to go to air. So yeah, I think it could be an advantage. I guess if someone was trying to bring back a narrative, maybe they had, you know, what Zigo had of the typical, you know, nasty judge sort of energy.
Speaker 1: A redemption story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you have that kind of conversation, whereas for me, I'm continuing to build my career and be in this space. So yeah, it is definitely a different approach. But yeah, I didn't feel like there was any of those like negative thoughts towards it. Like I was incredibly embraced both, you know, the people in there. Some of the people in there were familiar with my work anyway, so it was just like, yeah, I don't know, like you just never know who watches what you do. So it was kind of just good that the people that knew me and the ones that didn't got.
Speaker 3: To know me better.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. You know, I've been watching this sort of trying to read between the lines. Everyone's getting along very well, which is great television. But do you think some of these bigger egos that are in there that it's going to really cut their cut to the bone if they don't win. My question is, are there people in there that are going to be really upset if they don't win?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: I think that's it's so. I mean, if I think about myself, you know, coming into it, I absolutely felt like I had more gas in the tank that I could keep going, and I didn't feel like I got to show as much of me as I could have. So if that's how I am, and you know, and I'm like, oh, like I knew I had more, I could have absolutely kept going. If that's kind of where I'm at, I couldn't imagine how it would.
Speaker 3: Be for the people that came in.
Speaker 2: Incredibly fast, loud, very used to reality television, very used to that.
Speaker 3: Sort of energy.
Speaker 2: I'm used to interviewing people, I'm used to hosting things. It's a very different approach to being in a group of twelve, thirteen, fourteen people at any given time. So I definitely think that there will be a hard kind of processing because no matter what, like, I don't think anyone was really ready for a elimination, let alone a double elimination. And to be honest, like Anna and I were you know, good mates in there, but we did hold a really good space in terms of the camp. So to know how that works now will be super interesting. And no matter what, everyone's charities were incredibly like worthy of you know of that of winning as well as you know of course the person. But yeah, it would be interesting to see how how people react when they if they get kicked out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it can be very hard before you go. Something I ask everyone who joins the podcast is what's something from behind the scenes, something that we did not see, something that maybe fans would love to know, kind of like a bit of a behind the scenes secret to your time in the jungle.
Speaker 3: Ooh, behind the scene secret.
Speaker 2: It's so interesting because again I'm not sure like one hundred percent what we showed because they've only had like a few hours to kind of get across what's happened. But I think they might not have seen how well, like I think you would see how well we clicked together. But it was a genuinely strong cust like everyone in there was actually so kind. What you see is what you get, Like if you saw really strong relationships. That's just how it was, which I'm proud that that was kind of the way that we were and it wasn't just putting on a show or anything like that. Like everyone did get along really well and we connected very quickly. And yeah, like some some people didn't get as much time in there, and and some will have a crazy amount more, but there was nothing that really stood out, like until I watched back what's happened?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you know, I actually thought you did very well. And I also think that, you know, you, unlike some of the others, are at the beginning of your career. I feel like we're going to get to see a lot more of you after this as well. I think it's great that this is sort of up to the antie of making you more of a household name. I've loved watching you in there, and I'll be in your audience, So I just want to say thank you for being so amazing and for being so generous and chatting with me this morning.
Speaker 2: Of course, thank you so much, and thank you so much for watching and engaging and coming into my audience now.
Speaker 1: It's so nice to Yeah, yes, obsessed with you. I've got the tea shirt.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: So much energy from Bianca, which I love. Some interesting thoughts on fame and if that is playing into the voting in any way. Anyway, let's bring Anna into the podcast. I hope you enjoy Part two of this first eliminated chat for twenty twenty three. Hi Anna, how are you?
Speaker 3: Ben?
Speaker 4: I am fantastic, A little bit upset, you know, I didn't want to leave so early. I mean, at one stage I was thinking about staying and getting escorted out by security. But I don't know that was going to be or bad TV. So I decided to do the right thing and follow the rules and leap.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I once didn't get asked to do a reality show that I wanted to do, and I was going to do the other thing, which was just turn up and just be like hey, and so maybe if you haven't had your celebrity fix, you could just turn up again next year.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Can you imagine me trying to jump the face to getting there?
Speaker 1: People all have thought about doing that, I'm sure, yeah, one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: I mean, what an experience. I loved it. It was great.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm excited to be talking to you because I loved you on Snack Masters and other shows. But this this must have been really challenging for you compared to some of those other TV roles you've had.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was just out of my comfort zone, and I.
Speaker 4: Think me going in there was always about feeling uncomfortable. That was a challenge for me. I didn't want to go into something that was easy. I wanted to go on something that's challenging because I don't like obviously camp I don't. I'm scared of the dark. I'm scared of spiders and snakes and just everything that the Jungle was about I'm scared of. But then I knew that I was going to come out as a better person and more explore or up for challenges and stuff.
Speaker 3: That was important for me too.
Speaker 1: I think you have a really strong following with people along the fan forums. I've been watching the show and I read the fan forums. Don't do that when you are one of the contestants. That can be a bit hectic, But I have to say you and Bianca had such a strong and warm connection with a lot of people who were absolutely devastated to see you go in that first double elimination.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know that on mindset it's been going crazy, and I know it's going wild on Slip as well, but.
Speaker 3: That's quite nice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, And it doesn't matter if your first or love, it doesn't matter. I mean to make sure that you get your charity across is really important.
Speaker 3: Awareness, but it's also important to get the maximum out of being there as well.
Speaker 1: You have a great charity though. You just mentioned that then. And I want to talk to you about this because I read on one of the fan sites earlier today that they think voters should be thinking more about which charity they want to vote for and where they want that much I need to go, rather than voting for a celebrity who may have the biggest personality. How does that all land with you.
Speaker 3: I just think it is open for the general public, and I think they should vote what she was right for them, you know, And sometimes we fall in love with personalities. Sometimes it's the charity of choice. But I think, you know, again, it is open for the public.
Speaker 4: And we should allow them to just go nuts for it. You know what she was right for you Because each charity was special, then each charity had a purpose as well, so no charity was better than another.
Speaker 3: That's how I see it.
Speaker 1: I think that's a good way to look at it. You know, in the elimination that we saw whilst you were talking to doctor Chris Brown and Julia Morris, it sounded like you have a bit of a girl crush on Dom Am I reading into something. I mean, is every one of the girl they all got girl crushes on her? I mean, what's going on here?
Speaker 3: No, Dom and I just built a very strong relationship as a friendship. I mean she spoke about her partner, I spoke about mine.
Speaker 4: We spoke about ours, the babies together, you know, and don't forget when I was read down, Don was there for me, and when she was really down, I was there for her. So I don't think Australia got to see that side because we both had dumb moments and.
Speaker 3: Australia really didn't see that. So we're always comforting.
Speaker 4: I mean, Gon, for me, was the first person to know what I was going through, and we spoke about it, and I try to hold it as black.
Speaker 3: As I've called from the campmates. And then there's a lot of sensitive times that Don went through that I was just beside her and saying, you know, Australia loves your baby. You're going to do this, You're going to smash it.
Speaker 4: I'm here for you. And every night we just will chat like we don't forget. We'll bed buddies as well, like side by side. So we spent a lot of time just chatting, chatting about life, chatting about what we're after, family, loved ones, everything.
Speaker 3: So I say, the best friends, you know, And that was the thing. Like I loved Dom.
Speaker 4: I think she's gorgeous and it's not a girl crush.
Speaker 3: It's more of a beautiful friendship more than anything. I have a lover of fourteen years.
Speaker 2: I know you do.
Speaker 1: I know you did it. I didn't want to be I'm not being disrespectful to that as well, because you can have a non sexual goal crush. And I was saying, you know, maybe everyone's got a crush on Dom this season because we are seeing a very different side to her than what I think fans who may have seen her married at first sight had seen. You know, she seems to be having a real redemption story with a lot of the people watching the show.
Speaker 4: I admired Dom, you know, and I think that's where that comes into it.
Speaker 3: It was funny that you said that about Cruss because Nathan's like, oh now I really like domce I'm over Asia and I'm open Nathan. So maybe it's such a surah like I'm over the enso i stopping a laptop to Asia and I've stopping Nathan's naughty partner and now I'm Dom's best friend. And it's really crap about it. But I think everyone's going.
Speaker 4: To crush either wood is because he looks like pad Dance or the fact because he's a rich body.
Speaker 3: Like a he man. So I think that's where the crushes are gone. Harry has just left out of.
Speaker 1: The picture now, but he was like to start with, he seemed like he might have been hot property. But I guess you going down the Congo line of hotties that are in there. Y.
Speaker 3: We we're like over Harry.
Speaker 2: Next.
Speaker 3: Dom is an amazing woman and I'm just so excited to see her shine Australia, which I believe they already do, and for her to speak in mind because she is a Ferrarisa zero to a thousand in just a few seconds.
Speaker 1: The people love that. People love that. People love Dom and they love all of that meat that we were just talking about. But talking about meat and being a chef. I wondered, because there seems to be a chef that comes into the jungle every year. Is there like an underground chef community where you all talk about who's going to do the jungle for this this year? Like is there a bit of a discussion happening amongst the chef world as to who's going to be And I'm a celebrity, nobody.
Speaker 3: Talks about it. I mean, Poe I must have knew that I was going in because we spoke about it, Pryor, But I don't know if you know it.
Speaker 4: But the first five days I did it cook and I told everyone was just a pat ship.
Speaker 3: Because I'm originally a kitchen chef.
Speaker 4: How to get on the tools. I know how to break down my meat, I know how to cook.
Speaker 3: But when there was a.
Speaker 4: Comment made, and I can't recall, but someone said, oh, dish picks or something, and I just said, well, no, there's no such thing as dish picks.
Speaker 3: There are superstars.
Speaker 4: Superstars wash Our dishes are pans and they keep the engine running. So for five days I actually washed the dishes to prove a point. And when people were ask me questions, I was kind of like refusing to answer anything because I want to show that I'm not any better than anybody else. Yes, I'm on an award winning patient. Yes I'm a celebrity chef. But for me, I'm just just another person cooking. And then what I did was, after I started washing the dishes, I actually started setting up the stations properly, like I've got my tins.
Speaker 3: We did Amazon Plus put them in there. You know. We used meat board for the meatboards, the veggie for the veggies.
Speaker 4: We had three pans going, and I run it like a kitchen, so you know, I had myself obviously cooking, a second.
Speaker 3: In charge edsl and chopping vegetables. And what I showed them and they probably did the even know that they were.
Speaker 4: Doing, was how a kitchen operates with them thinking that they came up with the idea.
Speaker 1: That works in your favor. I reckon that all these chefs that go in every year, they've got a bit of an advantage because they've got something real to offer the other people that are in there. But also it keeps the place neat and tidy and well run.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I also feel like the chefs sometimes go in there and don't share the love. You know, they're like, I'm just going to cook everyone stand back. But you don't want to do that. You want to say, this is a new academy. How do you break it down? How do you show people how to cook it?
Speaker 4: How do we do a bit of a like a show off cooking kind of segment for everyone?
Speaker 3: And that's what I was doing. Like every night, I'll be like seriously playing it up. Then you know, like I would split my pants and vegetables were flying. I would be breaking down on meat or chop it out, looking at my bugies. I was like Ober one moment, I's like, if she didn't chop a finger, soots, Tom, don't at this And she's like, Babe, Babe, just breaking And I'm relaxed. I've got this.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I'm always fascinated with the inner workings of TV higher keys and you know, who's popular in there and versus what we see on screen. I guess which you might not necessarily know at this stage, but what was the general consensus amongst the camp about who was going to be eliminated in this first elimination? Because I think it would have been really hard for you guys to know who you thought was going to go home.
Speaker 3: We're all trying to get it, to be honest, and we're all trying to get it. But then what we were all saying was like, we don't know what the public you've see. The funny thing is, which is really weird.
Speaker 4: All the camp makes thought that I had a good running with it, like.
Speaker 3: You're the most likable, you're the cheekiest, you feed us and you have a story to stop. And then when I got eliminated for us, I'm like, what is this possible? But then I was like, you know, it is what it is. There's you know, there's another like you know, eleven other amazing.
Speaker 4: People in there who are beautiful and whoever wins well deserved because they are all great. And I can't even tell you how amazing these people are. I'm not just saying it, it's the honest truth.
Speaker 1: If you look at some of those other people that are still in there that you know, proving to be quite popular with the other outside audiences, you know, you've got your Dom, Dicko, deb and some of those people are they sort of when you hear those names, are they the loudest people in there? Or like where do they fit into the hierarchy.
Speaker 3: Dicko is really trying to be involved.
Speaker 4: Really, I don't know if he's playing on camera playing it on camera, To be honest, I don't know about that, but he definitely is trying to get that side. I think it's come down a little bit more deep.
Speaker 3: I don't think they're really She's just doing her things. Asia is just hilarious and not even trying to. I mean, Nathan knows have say on camera.
Speaker 4: I mean because Josey stowed a big in other reality v shows that he's a beautiful man.
Speaker 3: But more than anything, Dom is real, Dom is raw, Dom is fragile, and she's just being herself, and I think he can't take that away from someone, you know. But you know, then there's Woody and I love what is so much. I mean, I couldn't get.
Speaker 1: Enough hugs off in Peter Hellier as well. Peter Helly is like one of Oh my God, starling.
Speaker 3: Pete is the best. I love him. You know, he cried when he heard my story and he even shared a tear when I left.
Speaker 1: I've spent time with him before and I can tell you not on a TV show and behind the scenes when the cameras aren't rolling. He is a very very genuine man, and you know, watching him on the show has been great to watch because he's just he's being Peter Hallier in there, which I really like.
Speaker 3: He's a beautiful man. Every time someone's up set or something or something seriously just turns him into a joke and everyone forgets about it.
Speaker 1: And last I could talk to you literally all day, as I mentioned before, but I got to wrap this up and I ask everyone who comes on the podcast this question, what is something from behind the scenes, something that we might not have seen on Telly. I know that you might not necessarily know that, but you know, maybe a behind the scene secret, something that happens on I'm a celebrity secret.
Speaker 3: What you see is what you get. Trying to invent I think what people don't understand how hard it is so cold. Shaw is washing our clothes, trying to make him dry. Taking a shit in a box not fun as a smell isn't fun, but it is raw and it is really. What you see is what you get. There's no we don't get any special treatments. I've told you. I try to think yourself, for get a sandwich and there's no sandwiches given coming my way.
Speaker 1: Well, I just think you were fantastic in there. I know there's a lot of people out there celebrating you in your time on the show. Thank you for being so open and so raw in there. I think that always makes great television. And you know, like I was saying to Bianca before, I think you guys are kind of like at the beginning of your career. Like some people in there, they kind of had a career and they're now looking back where I think we're going to be in your audience for a very long time.
Speaker 3: Oh given me.
Speaker 4: It's all about what's next, right, So it's definitely going to be what's next, and this fast coming to just stay tuned for.
Speaker 1: I can't teak too much, and I am in your audience. I love you, and look after yourself and enjoy this whole experience, and I'll look forward to seeing what you do next.
Speaker 3: Thanks beautiful, I appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Thank you have a beautiful time, and thank you so much for having me on your podcast.