Speaker 1: Flex and Frooms, Flex and Frooms. This is the Flex and Frooms catch up podcast. You are with Flex and Frooms. Take a deep breath? Do you meditate and out one more in?
Speaker 2: I don't even hear that in you breathe.
Speaker 1: Doing it for the audience. Look, everyone in the room looks pissed off for me, I'm just trying to I'm trying. You can't do that.
Speaker 2: You can't do that. You can't just take You're like intrusive insecurity and then blame us for everyone in the room looks pissed.
Speaker 1: You Will Will in the sound between will look pissed. Nah, yeah he did. Just feel like you say, you're speaky. I'm speaking about energies around me, okay, okay, And I could feel everyone's for Fox for fox sake. I could see out of the corners. Wise, you know, I'm not.
Speaker 2: A fucking all Okay, Okay, let's keep pushing.
Speaker 1: I'm a comedian. I know when things land, Okay, I know it truly landed.
Speaker 2: That was a good one.
Speaker 1: Can it's always when it's real at my expense, we're talking about TikTok, We're talking about a whole bunch of other stuff.
Speaker 2: We're talking about the reason why you haven't gone viral, and maybe it's just not your faulty. Maybe a content sucks like it's fifty to fifty At this point.
Speaker 1: I think you'll like this one. Here we go flex and frims flex and fromes Cater never miss a beat. I want to change the pace and tell you about crazy celebrity wills. We were speaking the other day, we were weren't we We were talking about who was it her will?
Speaker 2: Ready to go?
Speaker 1: Yeah it was wait, let me, let me it was Gordon Ramsay and how he's not going to leave anything to his children. Is that right?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: We have a list now, okay, we'll created by Brookie Great.
Speaker 2: Is that right, brook it is?
Speaker 1: And I'm going to read you some of the crazy wills of celebrities. Pamela Anderson is getting ten million dollars in the will of her ex husband. There are married for twelve days in twenty twenty. Her ex husband was producer John Peters. As if that matters, that's the vibe I'm on. A fashion designer Alexander McQueen left his fortune to charity, but specified his dogs needed seventy five k oh which fair A friend of mine's dog ate a pad the other day. It cost ten thousand dollars to take it out. If you thought so, Yeah, make sure your bins are closed. If you thought that was crazy. Oprah Winfrey is leaving thirty million to her dogs. That's excessive, hyper they deserve it. And Tupac asked whose friends to smoke his ashes? And finally Fred Barr, who's the creative Pringles?
Speaker 2: Did they smoke his ashes?
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say probably, yeah, Tupac Fred Barr, the creative Pringles asked to be buried into Canna Pringles and he.
Speaker 2: Was yeah, well that could be done.
Speaker 1: How do you want to be disposed of?
Speaker 2: I haven't put much thought into it. I just want to be buried somewhere sexy, like.
Speaker 1: You want to be buried?
Speaker 2: Yeah, in the backyard of my property in lack full body form? Yeah cool? Kick me in, yeah, keep me in mint condition.
Speaker 1: And so you don't want to be like made into a tree or anything? No, composted? No, okay, cool, flex broke. What do you want to do? I've got a family vault in France, so probably okay, okay, we don't care. No common folk in the studio.
Speaker 2: Brackets are racketing.
Speaker 3: Oh g.
Speaker 1: I always said that I wanted to be cremated and then scattered through Burward McDonald's drive through. That's a sleigh. That's my happy place.
Speaker 2: You have no taste. Anyway.
Speaker 1: We've put this all on the records, so if you're watching this and you are related to us, just.
Speaker 2: Even gagging for that, macus having no shame.
Speaker 1: Hard to get your inflex and Froomskita, flex and frooms, flex and froms. You are with flex and frooms, two little girls running through the forest, just trying to do the best.
Speaker 2: I'm a woman, sorry, please, I'm a star, are you?
Speaker 1: I'm a woman, not yet a woman. I'm in a liminal period. And I recently went to go get a bra. I'm actually wearing the bra right now while I'm on air. It's a brown number with fixed straps. I gotta say the bra fitting experience is not for the faint of heart. I went to a department store looking for a new boudoir. Is it a boudoir?
Speaker 2: Bras?
Speaker 1: A yeah, A bras yeah? And what do I find? There's no yeah bra? We haven'gan Hey you know a low to call people bogans?
Speaker 2: Really? Yeah, that's way worse.
Speaker 1: So earlier I called I call the bog.
Speaker 2: Bogan.
Speaker 1: Bogan is classist, Bogan is way worse than common people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I'm not calling random people. But I'm calling you a bogan. If you called me a common folk, fine, you're calling the tens of thousands who went to Lane Way a common folk. I'm calling you the individual a bogan. You're putting in my mouth, in your eye.
Speaker 1: I never I actually said common folk. I'm just saying what I said is taking out of context. Okay, anyway, when to get my bra fit? Yes, and there's nobody here to fit my.
Speaker 2: Bra that's departments or vibes. Then, but then I.
Speaker 1: Went to a specific bra store. What I find I say, hey, I'm went at the counter. I'm like waiting for her to show me. I'm like, hey, excuse me, I want to try a bra on. This could probably actually be.
Speaker 2: Where are we going?
Speaker 1: And then I wander into the change room and the chick's looking around and say, excuse me, and can I get a brath fit? She goes yeah. And it's already a very personal experience. I don't want to feel like I'm forcing you to, you know, go around and assess my breast size. Later on, I thought, no, I need a bra. I'm not fitting in my old one. Go to another place. Fan of the flex and froom show fits my bra perfectly. Bit of banter. I will say, she's listening. Absolutely love the vibe just really elevated my day that day. But we need to find specific shops for the bigger bras is actually found near me. But bring back bra fitting. I can't go to two shops and not find anyone to fit my bra if I'm going into a store. It's one thing that you still have to go into store for.
Speaker 2: I just think the level of service required for a bra fitting contradicts the level of service that retail workers are expected to give for what they get paid. Australia generally has a very like lacks retail and customer service vibe compared to let's say America. Right, So well, let's say you go into an American department store. They're on you because they get commissioned. Like you know, you come to me, I can help you. What do you need? That contradicts the way people want to be helped in an Australian store. People only want to be greeted, let alone, like assistance touching you. I understand in the context of a bra fitting it's necessary, but I do think it's a little bit at odds with how people expect to be treated in a retail store. So I don't think it's like odd that people are like, oh, yeah, I guess you can get one, because had it been the other way, you were just browsing and someone said, hey, would you like a braf and you'd be like, what the hell, No, that's away from me.
Speaker 1: That's different. Maybe it's because I'm going on a Tuesday at like eleven am, or maybe you know, maybe I'm doing late night shopping. I don't know. Whenever I went.
Speaker 2: Not to blame babe, don't blame yourself, Okay, So it's an observation. We'll do better next time.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, if you're looking for a bra fitted place, if you're of the bigger, busy variety of person, any person, it's especially hard when you have big boobs. It's a thing. Go find a specialty store. That's what I'm going to do this weekend.
Speaker 2: No, tu breasts are the same. Everyone has difficulties. Let's leave at that, love, let's agree to disagree.
Speaker 1: We're at each other's throat today, I must have been I've missed this energy. I think it's for a compelling listen.
Speaker 2: No, no, that one sounded real how I feel inside? Calls coming from inside the house.
Speaker 1: Flex and frooms they're the best.
Speaker 2: What ad pretty before? What the inception of TikTok? How often do you think you thought about going viral when you posted content.
Speaker 1: Babes every day since twenty fifteen?
Speaker 2: Damn? I was like I felt it was so hard to go viral before TikTok that I didn't even think about it.
Speaker 1: No, the first time I ever posted something was the first time I went viral on TikTok on Facebook on during the Facebook well spring of extreme views.
Speaker 2: Oh do you remember how many views it gore?
Speaker 1: Really millions? Yeah? And like people, yeah, everyone saw it.
Speaker 2: In a good way, like you were excited, happy, Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. He helped me get my first job. So it was all in all a great experience.
Speaker 2: I love that. It's a good story. Why don't you share it more often?
Speaker 1: I did? If you subscribe to our user frooms world.
Speaker 2: I'm subscribed.
Speaker 1: Okay, do you open them?
Speaker 2: No? I did open one. I don't know when it was, but about the peking duck one open that one.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: True, that's when I learned how to bar. Yeah, I said, fascinating, I know, frooms. Well, please subscribe you get inside secrets. But anyway, an article came out recently about TikTok and virality, and it kind of like really just punctured the wound of what everyone thought virality was. Everyone's like, it's an algorithm. The algorithm picks. It's an algorithm, and yes, we know in some ways people make the algorithm. Therefore people pick. No, it's worse than you thought, babe, it's worse. There is a metaphorical button that people who work at TikTok hq can press to amplify a video.
Speaker 1: Did you say metaphorical or metaphorical?
Speaker 2: I don't know if it's a physical button, but it's like it's a concept. Okay, it's a theoretical.
Speaker 1: Button, right, so it's not necessarily true.
Speaker 2: No, it's true. I just don't know if it's a button.
Speaker 1: But like it's something they can physically do to boost Yes, I'm with you. When you say metaphor, it's like, it's not true.
Speaker 2: No, a metaphor means something is like something, but it is not.
Speaker 1: No, it's like a whatever, a metaphor. No, like this day, like this experience is like a summer's day. I'm not saying we're literally the sun.
Speaker 2: Do you know what a metaphor is? I don't.
Speaker 1: Somebody listening will understand that it's not what you say it is. I just don't have the words, unfortunately, a metaphor. No, Okay, you're like metaphorically, Okay, hypothetically.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: Let's just listen to the bloody video.
Speaker 2: Metaphorical I'm done with you. So is it a physical back No, it's true.
Speaker 3: TikTok is lied to you.
Speaker 1: All this time.
Speaker 3: We've been led to believe that the thing that decides what makes a video go viral, like big Viral, is an algorithm computer code that looks for a bunch of metrics, engagement levels, shares comments, watch time, and spits out a score. The higher the score, the better chance you have of going viral. Except it's not true, at least not entirely. Over the weekend, Forbes published a report that what actually makes a video go viral on TikTok is direct human intervention. An employee at the company who flags the video that they want to blow up.
Speaker 2: This is a.
Speaker 3: Process they call heating, and rather than what we've been told about why something goes viral, like the more views it has, the more viral it will go, it's actually the opposite. Heating is designed to guarantee a huge viewership. And there's more. Sources told Forbes that TikTok has used heating to entice influencers over to the app. They'll say, just try a couple videos and see what happens. And then when that video blows up, the influencer's like, wow, that video really got huge.
Speaker 1: Of course it did.
Speaker 3: Someone is literally pushing a button to make sure of it. And as Forbes noted, this suggests that heating has benefited some influencers and brands, those with whom TikTok has sought business relationships, at the expense of others with whom it has not. In other words, some of the videos at the top of your for you feed aren't there because lots of people like them. They're there because TikTok manually put them there.
Speaker 1: I love how the music got real more hectic, when it's like boom, like shift down, Oh my god, it does something like I mean, are we surprised. I knew Instagram did this. I knew they hire people to choose which reels go viral.
Speaker 2: I just it's not surprising in the way that, like, I feel like everything has a sinister root if you think about it too much. Welch, I don't want to get to but I just think that it shows how much a narrative can really take hold and supersede facts or truth. Right, And so this high idea with the algorithm, the algorithm, the algorithm, the algorithm, it becomes this thing that that holds so much responsibility, but it's so ambiguous, Like what are people even saying when they talk about said algorithm, You know, we've stripped it of its humanity, like it's just numbers and code, and like.
Speaker 1: Trip the algorithm of its humanity. Okay, AI, you're the a highlight.
Speaker 2: Literally a human correspondent for the AI because when you when you say, like, it's just this random thing, it's this ambiguous thing, and maybe there are a few things you can do to like broke it a little bit, but it's out of your control. I think that meant that people became a little bit more open minded to the prospect in using a new platform, because there was a point that I was like, oh no, I don't want to especially people transitioning from Instagram. I'm like, I don't want to do anything. It's too hard, it's whatever. And then what happened we saw like people were going viral, you know, like this is popping off, and then when you try it, like not you and when people try it, they're kind of like, oh wait, like this is hard. Way, It's not that hard. I'm going viral whatever it is. And then what I'm noticing now is that you know, we're two years post that real big like sand Fare of TikTok, and people just have to use it in an everyday way and they're kind of like, oh, well, like this is difficult because I'm waiting for this random robot to favor me today. Come to find out, the random robot could just be a person with an email. Where are they that we can get in touch.
Speaker 1: With today in Australia.
Speaker 2: And then think about the videos you have that have gone viral, and let's just say that, you know, in one reality is because the video was amazing and like you're a great creator and whatever, But in another reality, it's because somebody heated it. Then you think, okay, what videos of mine have gone viral? Videos about crooks, videos about the nipple story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that real cross that was heated or no, heated that one?
Speaker 2: Everywhere?
Speaker 1: You know, about best work of the.
Speaker 2: Year, stuff about periods, hygiene, like we're all in it together, sharing narratives. What videos of your yours have gone viral on TikTok.
Speaker 1: First TikTok viral video was probably four years ago. It was me walking and I said, how we are seeing TikTok four years ago? Yeah? Damn, early adopter.
Speaker 2: Well I'm actually obsessed now.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, But I have to stop saying things like I read when I really watched it on TikTok, because I do read, but it's just fantasy. I love that even used to come to that.
Speaker 2: I think sometimes I forget too because so much I used to do so much reading that it's like a I say the word and I don't mean it.
Speaker 1: I read more than I get news off TikTok. But again I don't send that much time on it. But I say this sort of say my first viral video, I was walking on the street and I said, have you ever noticed that? At one point in Australia. You're walking upside down on the Earth and it went viral, you know, because the gravity, we're actually upside down. What if we're on Australia, we're at the bottom of the globe, so we're upside down walking on the Earth upside down.
Speaker 2: Ah, babes, you're a dioscicenttist.
Speaker 1: It's true. I don't know because it turns on an axis like this, right. Ah, we're on the bloody.
Speaker 2: Boss, but we're not on the We're not on it. Aren't we in it?
Speaker 1: We're on the Earth. This is the Earth. We're on it.
Speaker 2: But yeah, but when you're thinking of the sphere, like, we're not on the sphere, we're in.
Speaker 1: No, we're on the sphere.
Speaker 2: We're not all walking on the outside.
Speaker 1: Oh, babes, Babe, I'm.
Speaker 2: Confused, but I'm I'm confused. I've got the spins.
Speaker 1: I wish we got that on video. Oh my god, got you a moment.
Speaker 2: I'm walking on.
Speaker 1: I mean we're in a shure right now. But anyway, that's very interesting. FLEXI I think that does that.
Speaker 2: Make you feel more or less motivated to make me make content?
Speaker 1: People are looking at my content because I.
Speaker 2: Used to when I used to make content like ages ago, like we're making content for ages. I think like, let's say ten years ago when I first started, no, let's say eight, when it became like a a muscle memory, it was very excited. I feel like I had so many thoughts and I was like, so like ferocious, I got them out. I gotta share them. I gotta do them, like people need to hear this right. It was like an insatiable compulsion, like I have to share this thought on this platform now. And I don't know if I've just done it for so long, or I feel like I've I gave my best thoughts, or I don't have that same intensity. But now my relationship towards posting is very like disciplined and regimented, like I've got to drink water, I've got to check my emails, I've got to post, And I don't know if that's the healthier approach because before I used to spend like my full days in my DMS responding to everything, like there was nothing more important than being active and sharing a thought on the internet.
Speaker 1: And now I's regimented. It's it's like scheduled sex when you're in a long term relationship. There you go, boys, perfect still gotta do it? But is it as fun as it used to be? The juries out Catta flex and Firms.
Speaker 2: You're listening to flex and firms?
Speaker 1: What the frick.
Speaker 2: I'm having a lot of observations about this country that we reside in, Australia, and I will say it's because I've been traveling quite a bit. I have, but also because on TikTok, what I'm finding is a lot of people who have moved here doing Australia versus comparisons. How is Australia different to Hungry, how's it different to the US, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. And one thing that they all say is like, I thought Australia was quite a casual place, a chill place. And I think in some respects, yes, it is, but not in the way that it matters. I feel like when I'm interacting with and I'm not just talking metropolitan Australias, because we need to stop that. When we say in Australia, people start thinking bond die straight away. No, just go forty five minutes away from the city, two hours away from the city. That's what I'm talking. Like your average Australian. So the thing that comes up is like Australia's really chill, or like I thought Australia would be chill. I thought it would be casual. And I think it's the no shoes that's giving off that vibe, but everything else, I'm like, Australia's pretty traditional. Australia can be pretty conservative, and I feel like what we kind of have is that like the offcuts of like polite, you know, UK culture, where where we're more concerned with protecting the vibe than being truthful or protecting everybody's feelings or keeping the energy up. And I think it's fascinating that like people who move here notice that very very very quickly, because people who live in Australia born and race are quite in denial about that fact. And the one thing that gets me is the pace, right, Like not that Australia moves quickly, but like the way that we rush back into norms, like why don't we Like I saw this video of this chick being like I live in a surf town and if the surf is really good, nobody works. I'm like, that's the real Australia. Bring that back, because why are we rushing back to work post COVID, rushing back to work after the weekend, rushing back? Let's bring it down, Let's just slow it all down. Let's look to our four far. I've done too much. I've done too much. But I need to channel whatever the true Australia, true Australia, whatever Australia is, whatever archetype people who aren't from here think we are, aside from racist, is the one. I'm the one I want to channel.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what it is. It's a Paul Hogan, where the not the where the bloody hell are you but shrimp on the barbie.
Speaker 2: I don't know who that is. If you if you know, you know, I know who hul Hogan is.
Speaker 1: Though flex and frims, flex and frames cater never miss a beat.
Speaker 2: I've been having. It's not I don't want to use the phrase intrusive thought because it's not. But every time I drive, I think to myself, should I have a dash cam? Should I have a dash cam?
Speaker 1: Karen esque?
Speaker 2: It's Karen esque? And I don't know if it's because I mean, if I don't trust me, all the people around you know what I'm saying, Like at any given point, I'm like, anything could go wrong, and who whose word are we taking for it?
Speaker 1: I feel like everyone's got the dash cam until they do something wrong and then inlad un.
Speaker 2: But I also do some of my best thinking while I'm driving, because, as we know, it's like a flow state. I don't want to say meditator because we should be paying one hundred percent attention, but something's not fully activated, which means I can think of more creative thoughts, which led me to this moral dilemma. Would you rather get into a car crash and it be entirely your fault, You're bad, or get hit by another car that refuses to give you their details and just runs away before you can get the license plate?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, both I don't want.
Speaker 2: To and you survive. You survived, not fatal. In my heart of heart, both are so embarrassing, so embarrassing, and there's there are a few things I hate more than feeling shame. Yeah, and both of those things feel shameful. But which one go?
Speaker 1: I would rather? You know, I'm a vigilante, you heart, Okay, I would hate the idea of not getting a number plate. I would love it if I got the number plate, and I could steing them, but for insurance purposes, I'd rather do the wrong thing. Get and get.
Speaker 2: This is coming from car tintwoman. We're learning a lot about the vehicle industry. So you'd rather hit someone.
Speaker 1: Hit someone in a car and not hit a pedestrian.
Speaker 2: You would rather hit another car? Yes, you want to hear.
Speaker 1: It almost happen to be on the weekend. I was going through a roundabout and you know how you got your indicator on. The person assumed that I was put the indicator on to go like just a hard left, but I was doing the full U turn.
Speaker 2: So this happens in Randwick all the time.
Speaker 1: It was Randow. How do you know that it happened to me in that same round about near the school?
Speaker 2: Yeah? And I used to. I used to when I lived there. No not saying that. I know that because of the hill and the sun.
Speaker 1: I know that that's a haunted place.
Speaker 2: Do you know that?
Speaker 1: How did you? Oh? Foresee, I'm also.
Speaker 2: A little bit witchy, so you are.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you you've been listening to The Flex and Froom's daily podcast. For more, tune Indicator on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.