Speaker 1: I Heart podcasts, hear more gold podcasts, playlists, and listen live on the free I Heart app. Two days away for the biggest World Cup ever, always the biggest show on Earth with thirty two countries now forty eight countries, which means is going to go from thirty two to thirty nine days of football, not soccer where you're not American football action.
Speaker 2: And not the football rules.
Speaker 1: Damn it, you're right always there with the logit rio is quite tiring. Sometimes just go with the nonsense, Just go with the flow of the nonsense that speeze out of me. All right, Welcome to World Cup Wednesday. We are so excited about the World Cup. It's a chance for all these countries, the forty eight countries, all their players, all the mums and dads and families they've all, they're all going to be gathered around. It's all these stories that were waiting to find out. You're going to meet new stars of the Soccer US seventeen seventeen Soccer Rus or the twenty sixth squad are making their debuts. Most of them you don't even know who they are. But over the next color you will get to fall in love with them. There's some really exciting young talent they're playing for this country and what it is, you know, in sport in Australia often splits the country unless it's the Olympics or the Matilda. Doesn't look what happened last couple of years ago with the Matildas and hold the whole country bit by bit got around them and swept up in that something we just don't get enough of these days, which is genuine unity and national cheer to get around each other and what it is to be this country now. And that's the same for all the other forty seven countries are going to be out there. It stops it, it stops. It's a rare thing in life. Sometimes sport can bring us together and it's where I, you, me, we all become. We the soccer Us. They get to play this Sunday, two pm on the rare games when it's not the early hours of the morning, where you can all maybe have some friends around, have a barbecue and support the soccer use. I can't wait. The World Cup is an incredible thing. Now. Rio has crunched some numbers about the odds, yes, okay, but anything can happen, that's true. Stars are made. You know, Italy aren't even there. They fail to qualify for the third time, which is why we've now got Christian Volpato. He wanted to play for Italy, they didn't qualify. It's that, you know, I've always loved my home country Australia. How about a little kicking around with you guys. Yeah, all right, we have to have it. We don't want him, boss, he's actually bloody good.
Speaker 3: You have to have him.
Speaker 1: All right, we'll have him stuff. You'll all be cheering in trustle he starts sparging them in, you'll all start cheering his name.
Speaker 3: But yes, it's not okay. The outlook is not great for Australia. We're five hundred and one dollar odds to win, five hundred and one to win the whole tournament. Time not great, especially when you compare it to Spain, who are one hundred times more likely than us to win.
Speaker 2: England though our third favorite.
Speaker 1: Please don't really, it's not coming home in my lifetime.
Speaker 3: You should get your hopes way up because you just want to say me cry, No, I'm just looking at the numbers, looking at the numbers.
Speaker 1: Get the hope the numbers don't apply to England. I've been here too many times. That's why I'm getting right by. And the only bandruding I'm junking on, jumping on is the Soccer Roofs.
Speaker 3: So yes, it's the but who knows anything could happen, Maybe we win the whole World Cup.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I was doing some research yesterday and I found this incredible story from the Soccer Roots of nineteen sixty nine. On a qualifying trip to play Rhodesia in Mozambique, soccer whose players hired a local witch doctor. Different time. He buried bones near the goalposts, cursed the opposition Australia one three to one. Then it gets bad. I'm afraid you've refused to pay him. He wanted his money, they said no. He then cursed the socer. He then cursed the soccer Roofs. You then failed to qualify for every World Cup from nineteen from nineteen teventy four to two thousand and five. The curse was finally lifted in two thousand and four when TV presenter John Saffren, Yes, John Saffren Lengen, flew back to Mozambiak hired a new witch doctor to reverse the curse. The next year, you qualified and you made the second round, an almost thirty year hex What about this? I found two thousand and one Covs Harbor Australia beat America American Samoa thirty one nil.
Speaker 2: Yes, Archie Thompson scored like what twelve twelveth No, No, I've got it wrong, thirteen goals.
Speaker 1: The scoreboard just gave up and just displayed it as thirty two nil. Even though it's thirty one, it still remains in history the biggest loss in an international game.
Speaker 2: At some point that becomes mean spirited?
Speaker 1: Does it.
Speaker 2: Tens?
Speaker 3: Pretty good with you don't have to parle on another twenty or thirty two?
Speaker 2: Is incredible?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 1: So last week I was talking about, you know a lot of the countries, they have their songs to cheer on, national pride, wish the team well and all the fans back home supporting them out there in the at the World Cup. And this is the one from Bosnia. This this is a banger. I'm from Bossia, dig too, America.
Speaker 2: I want to see statue of the deal. I can no longer h dg me do you United States? Dig me to Golden.
Speaker 1: Gate Nature There's no landmarks mentioned in Canada on Mexico.
Speaker 2: It's a statue limited.
Speaker 1: In the Golden Game Ganger right right, We're not Bossia, but certainly one of the Bosan We have nothing Hambauns in this country has nothing until now. Last week I commissioned Rio to make a song, the unofficial People's Anthem for the soccer use and it's time for the world's first play.
Speaker 3: Well, my starting point was it had to be an Aralian song.
Speaker 2: I can't have any of this, you know, foreign stuff.
Speaker 1: An international football too, yeah.
Speaker 3: Where we beat other countries, you're not trying to be friends with other countries. So it had to be an Aussie song. It had to be a big sum a foot stomper, something that would.
Speaker 1: Get kicker, very good Mondo rock.
Speaker 4: And.
Speaker 3: I'm picturing this is what the boys play. They put it on the Bluetooth in the locker room. But speaker, who's got the orcs G what's the Wi Fi code?
Speaker 2: So we're in the studio getting very fired up.
Speaker 3: I do before we play it, maybe have to issue a bit of a preemptive apology to the good people of Paraguay. I did get a bit carried away a little bit with the lyrics I'm sure you're.
Speaker 1: All we're not starting an international incident. I'm sure you're straight up her moves. Let's not pick another fight, but you know you just have. I got a fair play, beautiful game, exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: But with that in mind, it's time for the boys.
Speaker 4: Safara, fly in, Annison, nay go.
Speaker 5: Wait to the States, scoring for your country, play you for your mates, smash it, Yankes, feed the tracks, Paraguays.
Speaker 2: Sorry Arada, oh day, I'll tell you what the as you boys could play.
Speaker 5: It's a love way to the cup when you play the creed of gold.
Speaker 2: This is very good. It's a love way to the cup when you play the greed of gold.
Speaker 1: This it's coming to this, Hope, It's coming to.
Speaker 2: This, hope, just on this on alone.
Speaker 1: How can they not win in the opening game Sunday afternoons against.
Speaker 2: Turkey, Yes, I can not. Inspired.
Speaker 1: Incredible, incredible, I've actually got goosebumps.
Speaker 2: That is brilliance.
Speaker 3: And I want to send it to the Yanks to let them know we're coming to smash them.
Speaker 2: I want to send it to Turkey.
Speaker 1: Let them beat them in their own country, have their own World Cup.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, please let it be Please let it be.
Speaker 1: This is not the spirit. Is it smashing other countries? We're starting to sound like Trump.
Speaker 2: FM getting into
Speaker 1: Soccaro's Great again masaga