Speaker 1: I'll set myself in some ice, hopefully get about fifteen massages and see if fucking walk in a couple of days.
Speaker 2: Time, Good day, and welcome to the tennis. For day two of AO twenty twenty five, John Whovenar is bringing you all the big news from Melbourne Park every day of the main draw. Today on the tennis, Djokovic through, but not without a challenge.
Speaker 3: He's a nice boy. I mean he's a teenager.
Speaker 2: Still magic. Michelson sends Steph packing, I.
Speaker 1: Came in with the proper mindset and yeah, I executed a game.
Speaker 2: Plan and Aussie assault. A preview of day three and Janick Sinner opens up on life and loss.
Speaker 4: I believe we are tennis player and tennis players are important.
Speaker 3: At end of today we are nothing.
Speaker 2: That's all ahead on the tennis.
Speaker 5: Scrambling is Garcia the floating forehead. Osaka is there playing game to the forehead. And that's long from Garcia. I GOTSI from Naomia Soaka, who knows this court.
Speaker 6: Only too well.
Speaker 2: Now me Osaka has shone under the lights of rod laver Arena, edging past Caroline Garcia in a cracking battle. The world number fifty one showed glimpses of the sort of form that saw her win two AO titles in three years. Breaking the frenchwoman served twice in a thirty seven minute opening. Stanza Garcia had the answers in the second set, blasting ten winners past her opponent to level the match, but Osaka found an early break in the deciding set and managed to hold Garcia at arm's length to prevail six three, six six ' three.
Speaker 7: Overall, I'm just really grateful to I guess get the opportunity to play on rod Leaver again. I was a little shocked when I saw the schedule and it's a really big honor for me, So thank you guys for sticking around. Yeah, I just I really hope that I got the chance to plan in front of you all again, and thank.
Speaker 2: You for the Supporta's next opponent will be number twenty seed Carolina Mukova.
Speaker 8: Djokovic had advantage and five to two for a place in the second round. Serves an Asou wide and wooks with a little bit of frustration in himself, not with his opponent, but with his own game, and there's a warm embrace at the net between the pair and Novak Djokovic, the ten time champion, starts his campaign for an eleventh title with a four set win over Nishesh Bassafarreati of the United States.
Speaker 2: Novak Djokovic is safely through to the second round of the Australian Open, but not without his nineteen year old opponent throwing a spanner in the works. American wild card Nishesh bassav already stole the first set from the ten time champ, incredibly the first opening set of an Australian Open campaign. Djokovic has dropped since two thousand and six, but the number seven seed soon found his groove and was never headed, winning four to six, six three, six, four six.
Speaker 3: Two in the end.
Speaker 9: It was great and I think he was a better player for set and a half and he deserves every bit of applause that he got when he was exiting the court.
Speaker 2: Bus have already a finalist in Auckland, recently announcing himself on one of the world's biggest stages in his Grand Slam debut.
Speaker 3: The Quintas.
Speaker 10: Is a little surreal. Just seeing him in front of me, like you're going to be competitives today is a core feeling for sure. And then obviously on the court he does everything really well. Just serving really well. I think that's the biggest thing that he's improved in his career, and today that was a big difference between me and him. I think that ended up giving him the win. And just how solid he is and all that. I think there's a lot to learn from SGM, so definitely learned a lot today.
Speaker 2: Nick Kurrios has failed in his bid to overcome an abdominal strain, slumping to a straight set's loss to Jacob Firnley on John Kine Arena. While the home favorite looked solid in the opening set with some blistering serves, he was found wanting in a first set tiebreak. Then the floodgates opened for the young Scott, who pounced on an out of sorts curios to win seven six six three seven six.
Speaker 9: Yeah. Obviously extremely nervous before the match, didn't get too much sleep. I knew it was going to be a rowty march, and but no I thought I thought I played good. Sorry for for a neck, I could tell he was he was dealing with some stuff. But I thought it was a great match and I really enjoyed playing in front of you guys.
Speaker 2: It brings to a premature end the campaign of Curios, who hasn't reached the second week of his home Slam in five years.
Speaker 11: Realistically, I can't really see myself probably playing singles again here. Yeah, it was it was special, like taking that, taking that in it was pretty good.
Speaker 3: It was good. Yeah.
Speaker 11: So yeah, I mean, look, I knew that I had I have doubles, so I didn't want to you know, I kind of was taking everything in tonight, you know, in those moments. It was yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: It was nuts heartbreak for compatriot Chris O'Connell, who battled for four hours before succumbing to Tommy Paul. The Aussie had the crowd behind him all the way on Kia Arena, trading sets with the American twelfth seed in a tug of war of epic proportions. O'Connell had his chances in the decider, but Paul came up clutch in the big moments, despite showing signs of fatigue the twenty twenty three semi finalists, securing a six two three, six, six one sixty seven seventy five victory.
Speaker 10: Chris played some some awesome tennis, and I mean as always that the energy in here was amazing, So thank you guys for coming out.
Speaker 12: I know you didn't want me.
Speaker 4: To win, but.
Speaker 3: It's it's always a lot of fun playing.
Speaker 5: In front of you guys.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, destiny Iava played the match of her life in front of a home crowd on court three, stealing a win from Great Minn in a ten point super tie break, the Aussie coming from behind to triumph five seven seven, five seven six.
Speaker 13: I believed I could win before I stepped on the court. It was just I felt like I wasn't playing my best, and yeah, I was getting a bit negative in the first set, and then yeah, she had a lot of momentum. And then I just told myself, if I have to say come on every single point that I win, then I'm going to do that, and I need to do whatever it takes.
Speaker 2: I will now take on twenty twenty two finalists Daniel Collins in the second round and men's third seed Carlos al Karez has blasted his way into the second round and a tick under two hours with a straight sets demolition of Alexander Chevchenko.
Speaker 14: Honestly, the first month of the season, you never know how I was going to be I had the confidence to think that he was going to be good, but you never know. So just really really happy with the level that I played with everything I've I've done, I've done today, but I really want you to be better in the nest run.
Speaker 2: An amazing day two of action here at the Australian Open, particularly for the Aussies, but there were some shock results among the international players, not least of which Stefanos Sitzipas, Who's bundled out in four sets in the first round. John whoven I was here on the spotlight with me Xavier Mueller BArch Hello, welcome for your debut on.
Speaker 15: That I've never been on before. It's a bit of fun.
Speaker 2: Simon rays back from the GIG team. Hello, Simon, John Isaave. Good to be with you and for but playing now. Commentator Chander Ruben, Welcome, Chanda Happy.
Speaker 16: This is my first official obligation Gig enjoyment here and down Under, so.
Speaker 17: I'm looking forward to. Obligation is a strong word it is.
Speaker 16: I couldn't think of one, but it's it's I get to be here.
Speaker 2: It's apprivileged. He love it absolutely is and it's a pleasure to have you thank you. So a lot of big seeds have fallen today. We didn't have many yesterday. I think Linda Noskova was the biggest at twenty nine in the women's Let's start though with Titsipass, who's been bundled out by a compatriot of yours by the name of Alex Michelson in four sets seventy five, sixty three, two six six ' four and by Gollie Gosh. Michelson has a game on him. He does.
Speaker 16: He's a big hitter and I'm just twenty years of age. He's learning literally on the job in real time. He's got the big serve, he's got the weapons from the ground, and I think against Sitsipass it the matchup that helped him. His ability to go down the line with the backhand and really expose that area, open that area up against Sitzi pass was huge and he knew going into this match, playing against a top seed, that he had to go after it. And sometimes knowing that frees you up as a player, especially a young player, you know you have no other choice if you want to have a shot to win, and he handled the moment beautifully.
Speaker 2: Cizibas hasn't gone out this early at the Australian Open since twenty nineteen. This has been a happy hunting ground for him. What went wrong today?
Speaker 6: Yeah, Well, China makes a great point in about the matchup. It's now too zero in Mickelson's favor. So we saw Mickelson get over the top of sitsupas in Tokyo at the back end of the twenty twenty four season, and we saw it again today and I think and China makes a great point as well about the dominance of the Michelson backhand. But I want to identify what I think was a technical mistake from the Sidsapas camp. So we know sitz APAs he wants to find his four handedt all costs and it starts on the return of serve. So what we see from him today quite unusually, we don't typically see it, not to this extent on the second serve return, on the juice side in particular, so not so much the ad side, where he's not prepared to give up as much width and depth. He goes way back five and six meters behind the baseline and what Medvedev terak what he does when you give up that type of territory against someone like Alex Michelson with the type of backhand that he's got, is you allow Alex Michelson to then have ascendency in the point and he dominates thereafter. So what it then turns into, and trying to mention the backhand is this backhand exchange and I ransom numbers on the backhand side. So Mickelson's winners versus eras ratio just off the back end winging this match. Of the total number of back ends he hit, fifteen percent were winners, eleven percent were eras. When you flip that script, sit sur passes backhand side, which has always been the whole we know about that, that's where opponents try to get to. It's not so easy to do, but that's what they're all trying to achieve. Four percent winners off the backhand side, seventeen percent errors. So I think a lot of this trace is back to serve and return and his decision to go so far back on second serve return and looking for his forehand. There's a trade off there, there's a price you pay, and Mickelson was able to make him pay that price.
Speaker 15: Toret me through the last couple of years. So I was actually standing next to Tormy dred Craig Tarley twenty twenty three Men's final, since Pass was there, the crowd was loving him. It was an epic knight. Since then, how are we now talking about a first round loss? What has anything changed in that two year period or are we talking just little tweaks in the last few months.
Speaker 6: Well, I think there's been some substantial change in the CITs of Pass camp. So we know the relationship clearly that he's had with his father from the coaching perspective, that's now shifted. And I think the gains or the margins here are so fine that it doesn't take you being a long way off your game as an elite athlete. Alex Michelson's a coming star in the game. So if you are a little bit off, and I think we've spoken about a couple of the areas where in this particular matchup there's the potential for CITs best to get exposed, then you pay the price. And I think you know, just to double down on the point made before. I don't know what Sitzpass was doing going so far back on second server return because he wants the points short when the points were short in this match zero to four shots, he wins eighty two. Michelson wins seventy one. When the points start to lengthen the script totally flips. So five to eight shots, thirty seven rallies one for Michelson, twenty four for Sisu plus nine plus it comes out in the wash fourteen twelve. So if you want short points, don't go back five and six meters behind the baseline on second server.
Speaker 15: Now, what's going the daddy? You're looking at coaches, they haven't have that in hand.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, clearly it was a plan going in, and I think Change is identifying what it is he's looking for his forehand there on second server return. So to get that you need time. But the trade off in creating time is you're giving up space. And my hypothesis anyway, or what I'm putting forward to the panel tonight, is that it didn't work in his favor on this occasion. So next time, and it won't be at the twenty twenty five AO, look for a change on second server time from Sizer person that matchup.
Speaker 2: It's two wins in a row now in this matchup for Alex Michelson big things to come from him. Well, another upset Chanda on day two happened in the women's draw, and Elena Ostapenko, who tends to do a lot of damage around these parts in January, is out of the competition. Belinda Benchitch strikes six, three, seven six.
Speaker 16: I think we've been looking to see when Belinda benchicch with makes some moves after coming back from maternity leave. And I saw her play a bit at the end of the season and also to start this year, and she has that type of game that can handle pace, that can handle big hitting, and that's what Astapinko serves up me. She's looking to hit big and bigger, and the redirect from Benchic. She's been playing more confidently, getting the fitness side of things back, and you could see that coming and I think that came into play in a big way against Ostapinco. And remember this matchup between these two, they go back, they go way back into junior into junior days, and so I think, you know, again, you look at matchups on these courts first round coming in, you're not quite as confident Ostapinco, maybe not as many wins coming into this year's aos as she might have liked, and against an opponent who can redirect the way Benchic can, who can return and take the ball a little bit earlier. That was the perfect counter to the pace of Yolene Ostapinco. And I also was impressed with how well Benchic handled the moment. That's always what you kind of wonder with a player coming back who was off for so many months off tour. But she handled the moment well. Defending when Ostapinko saved match points, she kind of kept her poise, saved a couple of set points herself into that tie break, and so I think handling the moment, handling the pressure. I mean, we're seeing Belinda Bencicic coming back in real time and it's a fantastic win for her and against a player who she matches up well against.
Speaker 15: And she had some really cute photos when she was, you know, not Akapabliev, when she was playing in sit little her daughter was on court with her little kiss on the side of court. I just love watching the outside of the match play players seeing their real selves, you know, their family, their friends, following on social It's just it's where you want to look at them.
Speaker 6: In the surface definitely seeing that type of insight, and I reckon that's.
Speaker 15: A really insight you can get from a player on their social media if you really think about it, you can go, Okay, they're out having a big night and I'm playing them tomorrow.
Speaker 17: This is going to be good.
Speaker 15: Oh they've got a new baby. They're going to be tired. This is going to be good. Oh they've got a new coach and they're doing an ice bath. I'm in trouble. I need to get myself one of those.
Speaker 2: So yeah, look a little deeper, folks, you heard of your perennial fan favourite. So how did she chant to use the word redirect? But how did she absorb some of that power game coming?
Speaker 6: I think first of all as well in the preparation phase that leads to getting here today on the opening Monday of the opening week of the twenty twenty five straight up and so Belinda benchit goes and bees a part and is a part of the Swiss team at the United Cup, then goes to Adelaide, has to come through qualifying man to do that, picks up another couple of matches, couple of tough matches, gets her retirement over Kellen Skyer, but goes three sets with sam Sonova and Adelaide. So it's time on court, it's building, it's the type of preparation you want to see. And then today and Chinda mentioned it and makes a great point. If you have a poor serving day against Belinda Benchic, she is going to come after you on second serve return. There's not many players in the world that return more aggressively than Belinda Bencicic. Well, unfortunately for us to Pinco, she had a poor serving day. She serves at fifty two percent today in terms of first serves in play, she wins just thirty four percent of her second serve points. And that's the benchitch pressure. That's what she does to you. She will not hold back on second serve return and she will keep coming after you no matter what. And then it turned into a little bit of a battle of the foehands and it was that the hole for us to Pinco today from the back of the court was on four hand side. Of the seventy nine fourhands she hit, twenty two were eras. That's a twenty eight percent error rate on the four hand side. Belinda Benchic, by contrast, thirteen percent error fourhand side. So those are a couple of things. You have a poor serving day, you cough up too many ears on full hand sawd, you're in trouble against an athlete the caliber Blenda Benchic.
Speaker 16: Yeah, I think you know when you look at Benchic and I think, you know she's still building, you know, I think in terms of the instinctiveness of her game and the movement and some of those things you've got to have live match play to really get to a high level. I think she's still building in that area. But she still has such a high tennis IQ and she understands where to put position herself on the court, what the likely reply is going to be from a player who is kind of playing one way. In Ostapinko, you know, she's just hitting the ball and it's not as thoughtful at times, especially when she's not as confident. So I think it was in terms of the matchup, a little bit of a mismatch down the stretch in that sense, even though it was a very tight second set. But this I think played right into Benja's hands and she was ready for the moment. And we talk about her personal life and being happy off court and being a new mom which she's coming back incredibly quick as well. It's phenomenal to see. But a lot of that takes the pressure off and just allows you to handle those moments that Blenda Benjach handled so beautifully today and that upset.
Speaker 2: Turning the spotlight to day three now, a couple of really interesting matchups to look up. Firstly with the man Simon, Australia's number one Alex Deminor has a tricky first up encounter. Baltic funders On School, the Dutchman who took down Raphael and Nadal at the Davis Cup finals.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and these guys have played before too. You have to go back a few years, but you're back in the twenty twenty two Davis Cup campaign. I think they met and it was a tight three setter between Demonor and Vanderson Scoop on that occasion. So it's a dangerous matchup. Vanders On School the last couple of seasons not as successful from his perspective as when he was at his career high. From a rankings perspective, He's got a big fourhand, can do a lot of damage with the forehead, uses the slice backhand more than we would see from most players. So there's a couple of different things or a couple of elements of danger there for demon. But I think we're all waiting, certainly those of us down under, all waiting with baited breath. I think we've all got an asterix on on Alex and we're all just wanting to see him have a good hit out, a solid hit out. Perhaps be challenged, but not to the point where you know, our palms are too sweaty. We'd like him to get through with a degree of comfort and build his momentum across the fortnite. That's what we're all hoping for.
Speaker 15: We're seeing it up a bit though. Does he really have a lot to worry about or it just be cautious? He should he be optimistic? Taught me through it.
Speaker 6: I think it's probably somewhere in the middle. So certainly, if you're in the in the camp, you're always on red alert, and as an athlete, you can place never afford not to be. Is it a realistic through Yeah, Look, I think on paper, sure, yep, he's a red hot favorite. But you know you've got to go and play the game. That's why they don't just send you through to the second round because it's not done on pat.
Speaker 15: That's why he gets this is why it's my first and last.
Speaker 2: I think it's great confidence in the body. Alex spoke about getting the legs back at United Cup. He finally feels like all his weapons about how important would that be for aply and knowing that he's at one hundred percent going into his home Slam.
Speaker 16: Yeah, I think it's huge. I mean, when you go into a major, there's a different kind of nervousness. Even if you aren't the nervous type, you know, there's just that little bit of tension that comes into play. These are the big events you want to do well at, So those are the intangibles you're dealing with as a player. And then you add to it, this is your home major, and it's just huge. So in terms of how your body reacts and how you go out there and play, there's sometimes things you can't explain. Even though you see a player and you go, I mean, he should be beating this guy hands down, it's not going to be the case. There is an equalizer that that occurs at these events, especially in the first round. And Vanda Zenskulp, he's a dangerous guy. I mean, he's twenty two in the world at his high that was a couple of years ago. He has this ability to match up and play big time tennis against you know, top players, against top tenors. He's gotten a couple of wins, you know, significant wins over top ten players, you know, the last couple of seasons ago. And he always is an unknown quantity in that sense if he can put it together. Mentally, that being said, I think Demonor from a mental standpoint, is just the more solid player. He's got a much better vein and history of winning and winning tough matches and big matches under pressure. I think that's going to come into play. And if it does get into that zone, you gotta favor Demonor all day long. That's a Van de Zensculp can keep it close. He's a good athlete vand Zenskulp. He has that ability to play in the different areas of the court. He's going to have to bring that type of game. But with that being said, I think Demonor, with his movement, with his ability to come forward, take some chances, take some risk. You know, he's such a smart player around the court. Demonor and I think that's going to come into play and it's going to be too much for Vanderzensculp to handle overall. But you know, we'll see when you toss the balls up. That's kind of the fun of it. And I think Demonoor is going to accept that challenge. And that's the first important part of it, you know, to not show away to.
Speaker 15: One of the real tests for vander Vantsko is going to be the Aussie fans. How's he going to cope when there are fourteen thousand plus Aussies screaming for demon and he's maybe have a little contingent.
Speaker 16: Remember at Davis Cup against the doll there was nobody wanting him to win.
Speaker 11: He came and just there we.
Speaker 6: Got some recent practices.
Speaker 16: Secret actually better in those situations than when he's expected to win good. So you know, that could that could be interesting. I still think Demonor is going to have what it takes, but it could be interesting.
Speaker 15: I mean, he's loving underdog, but we also love an Aussie. So five gripping sets and we'll see what happens to.
Speaker 6: Taking the game.
Speaker 15: You probably just want to win.
Speaker 2: Four Well, it might not have been the night for curios Or O'Connell, but it was still a pretty good day to be an Aussie. Nine out of twelve Australians won through to the second round, with young gun Talia Gibson setting the trend. Earlier in the day, the twenty year old notched her first major winner for her career, and it was closely followed by a triumph from Isiler Tom Lanovich, while the men's contingent of Jordan Thompson, Alex Vukich, James Duckworth, Tristan Schoolcate, James McCabe and the Nasi Kokinakis all secured spots in the round of sixty four. Kochin Arkus particularly relieved to make it through after a physical three six six three six three seven six win.
Speaker 1: Just another one of my stupid long matches. I could barely.
Speaker 3: Sleep last night.
Speaker 1: A lot of anxiety coming out here. I knew the crowd was going to be packed and it was going to be incredible. Like you wait for moments like this, you train for moments like this, so to play in front of you guys was incredible.
Speaker 3: You guys whirled me through.
Speaker 1: I was struggling there and.
Speaker 2: You boys were unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Sit myself in some eyes, hopefully get about fifteen massages and see if I can walk in a couple of days time.
Speaker 2: Ozzie wildcard Ala Tomlanovitch has brushed off first round nerves against American Ashland Krueger in a three set dogfight. It was only last week that Kruger took the points in Adelaide, but today the Ossie had the last laugh, winning sixty four four six sixty four, A positive sign for the thirty one year old as her body gets back on track after an injury hampered past two years. As she explained to Craig Gabriel on AO Radio.
Speaker 3: Heil Tomlanovitch, nice to see you.
Speaker 18: Nice to see you as well.
Speaker 3: How have you been?
Speaker 13: You had to pull out of Brisbane there was a niggle, so physically generally, how are you feeling?
Speaker 18: I feel really good, you know. It was really sad that Brizzy couldn't happen for me and it was just a bit too early. I had a bit more to go just with my match prep. But feeling really good now. I mean, probably my best match physically since two years ago that I played.
Speaker 13: Today, really two years ago.
Speaker 18: Yeah, I mean I even though I've played you know, on and off last years, it just haven't really gotten it right, and I've you know, it wasn't for the lack of trying. I definitely have been trying to find so many solutions just to feel how I used to feel. And it got pretty close today to really just focusing on my game and not completely forgetting about my knee and my troubles.
Speaker 13: Yeah, tell me about how satisfied you were with this result.
Speaker 18: Oh it's pretty up there, I will say, especially having lost her last week, And honestly, I thought I didn't play badly at all, especially after it being my first match back in a while, and I feel like I came in with with a bit more knowledge about her game and her tendencies. But also you know, there it was a rollercoaster today, and to keep my emotions and check and just not give up and try to at the same time enjoy the moment, which we tend to forget sometimes when we're out there. I just thought to myself, you know, I'm playing in front of a you know, on my favorite cord, in front of a pretty full crowd, and this is what I kind of work for, and the fact that I get to produce some good tennis was a great thing as well. So I just tried to embrace it and really try to win, because there's no other feeling like winning.
Speaker 2: Tom Lanovich next faces Diana Schneider, who accounted for Italy's Elisabetta Cocciareto.
Speaker 19: He's one of his last thirteen matches in straight sets, and now that becomes match number fourteen in straight sets. He's on a sixteen match winning streak. Takes out Chilli's Nicholas Jarry in straits seven sets, seven six, six, one, two hours and forty minutes. It's job done for the world number one.
Speaker 2: Janick Sinna has withstood a gallant performance from Nicholas Jarry in his first match of the season to win through to the second round. As predicted by Simon Ray on yesterday's episode, Jarry took it up to the defending champ, taking him to two tie break sets without a single break of serve. But I found a chink in the Chilean's armor early in the third set and broke a second time, closing it out seven six, seven, six, six to one.
Speaker 4: No, he was playing really really well, to be honest, especially serving incredibly good and important moments.
Speaker 3: Also from the back of the court.
Speaker 4: He was returning really well, playing aggressive, so you know I could have forallceolastic first couple of sets.
Speaker 3: You know, you know we're not sinner.
Speaker 2: Now faces Ozzie wildcard Tristan school Kate, who turned around a first set deficit to beat Tarot Daniel in four.
Speaker 5: It's a serve down the tee on the forehand of golf. It's a short ball ken it all. She's made a hash of that. A fourhand at the open court, missed by some Marchin and Coco goff Is.
Speaker 2: Through Coco Gough has moved through to the second round, beating compatriot Sophia Kennon in straight sets. The former AO champion gave GoF a run for her money, breaking her serve in the first, but the world number three quickly settled, sending down twelve bases across the match. As midday some threatened her ball toss. GoF zeroed in to win eighty eight percent of her first serves in the second set.
Speaker 12: On the first, like you know, you can like change your toss a little bit and you go for more of on the second. It was a bit tougher because obviously most people kind of throw their second serf tofts to the left to get that kick, and that was kind of right where the sun was and it kind of like didn't move at all like the match, So yeah, I was a bit struggling, and it was kind of one of those things like when she served on that side, she I noticed she went a bit slower on first serves to get that higher percentage, and I kind of kept serving the same speed because I was getting so many aces. So it's one of those things. I think that's just like a decision that I have to make in the moment.
Speaker 2: One of the queens of Melbourne Park has been dethroned on day two, with Victoria Azarenka falling to Italy's Lucia Bronzetti. After dropping the opening set, the two time champion managed to take the second set to a tie break, but was soon staring down the barrel of five match points, Bronzetti storming into the second round for the second time. Six two seven, six.
Speaker 20: Yeah, I'm very I'm very happy and proud of myself today. I think that I played really well against a great champion, so yeah, it can be more happier.
Speaker 2: Francis Tiafo has overcome cramping and nausea to outlast Arthur Rinderknek in a four hour, five set drama. Tiafo took a two sets to one lead before his body betrayed him in the fourth set, vomiting on the side of court and forcing play to be momentarily paused to clean up the mess. Minutes later, he lost the fourth set tiebreak before bravely fighting back to win the decider, ceiling a seven six sixty three four six sixty seven six ' three result. Tiafo a bit coy after a tumultuous post game recovery.
Speaker 21: Walked around for a while in locker room, just stitches and cart to manager. They're finally going to shower, finally a pastille, not film ray. But at the same time, you do feel great. You can see in another day, so you're feel even worse if you know you feel like this and you're out of the term. But you know I'm still in so promisly sleeps and I have a little chuckle on my face for sure.
Speaker 2: Second seed, Igish Fianceek made light work of Katerina Sindi Arkiva, winning six three six four, adding to her incredible first round record in Melbourne.
Speaker 22: Yeah, I only I think lost once in the first round. It was at Winbroom twenty eighteen, so I wish this tournament. I wish I didn't play so my start would be a perfect But yeah, I mean, I'm happy. It shows that I'm consistent and I always kind of I'm just more confident. I think before some I'm even paying this first match. I know that no matter what's going to happen, like I have, I have kind of the stats, so I should just do what I always do and it will be good.
Speaker 2: Other winners on day two Jess Pagoula, Elena Fittalina, Marta kostyuk leod Mila sam Sonova, Carolina Mukhova and Anastasia pavlo Chenkova, and for the men, Jack Draper, Felix u Ja see seb Quarter and lucky loser Francesco Passaro, who led a set to love when his opponent Griggordomitrov was forced to retire with a hip injury, and qualifier Yanna Fett was just inches away from a free pass into the second round when Wimbledon champ Marquetevon Drusova withdrew due to an injury she suffered in Adelaideluy loser Harriet Dart took her place, ultimately downing Fete in a third set tiebreak. Well, yesterday we heard Ersin's car ride with Arena Sablenca. Ersin's back today. Is this all you do, go around with professional tennis players in cars?
Speaker 17: I wish because we really kind of managed to get their personalities out a little bit more in the car rather than a in a studio in a one on one interview. So yes, I'm all for it. I did a few of those interviews. But now that the tournament's up and running, you know, it's back to the studio.
Speaker 2: And today we're going to hear one that you took with the defending champion in Yannick Cina, who's actually a resident of a town not too far away from your own hometown.
Speaker 17: Yeah, my hometown is in the Swiss Alps, and it's about a five hour drive down to the Italian the Northern Italian Alps, where they speak German as well, where Yannick Cina is from a town called Sexton. And we spoke a bit about, you know, about our Christmas is because we both spend Christmas in the mountains. White Christmas, and then it suddenly got turned into turned and it got quite reflective and a bit sad as well.
Speaker 2: Oh, let's hear a little bit from your journey with Janickxina.
Speaker 17: This is the first time driving back to Melbourn Park since you won your first Grand Slam.
Speaker 3: How do you feel about it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a very hot day today. You know, coming back to the place I said defending champion is it's a nice feeling. It's a different feeling. It's a very special place for me where obviously many things started.
Speaker 17: Do you get the penhouse sweet or something at the hotel now that you're an AO champion?
Speaker 3: I have the I have the same room as last year.
Speaker 4: I do remember the thirty six on my room last year, and I have thirty six again.
Speaker 17: You want to repeat not just the room number, but also what you did last year.
Speaker 4: I am in a different position at the moment. This year was so different for me because of the loss of my aunt last year, and.
Speaker 3: I was they are just different.
Speaker 4: It was like I could talk with her about everything, even when she was sick, and she always tried to put you know, her effort in trying to let me feel.
Speaker 3: A loved person and that she was a very lovely person.
Speaker 17: Do you feel like in a way you'll be carrying her memory with you.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I'm here now and in this stage with a different mindset, you know, because I believe we are a tennis player, and tennis players are important.
Speaker 3: By the end of the day, we are nothing in this world.
Speaker 4: So you know, I'm trying to have the people around us, the people we love from our heart is much more important than in winning tournaments, even if winning tournaments is that what we work for for.
Speaker 3: Years and years. Here is already a match feeling, you know when you come here, When on.
Speaker 4: Match day you step out of the car, the beginning of the Grand Slam, there are so many people around, and it's.
Speaker 3: A nice Grand Slam.
Speaker 4: That's because they change always small things to try to make it better. Were the first day here, first time going on the court, and hopefully I can also play some good tennis this year, but obviously it's it's going to be very difficult.
Speaker 2: Well, Victoria, the Rankers AO campaign may have come to an abrupt ending today, but it doesn't undermine her incredible record at this event. The dual champion recently spoke to Matt and viv from The sit Down podcast to discuss her relationship with the Australian Open.
Speaker 18: Have you ever stopped and thought about how much this tournament has changed your life?
Speaker 20: Oh?
Speaker 23: Yeah, Actually I don't think really that much, but it definitely has. It changed my life since the junior days when I came here for the first time, I just fell in love with this place and I think I just wanted to do good because when I feel good, I play good, you know, So coming back here, but Australiana Opened definitely has changed my life. Tennis has changed my life drastically, and I'm very, very grateful for not only you know, the achievements that I've had on the tennis court, but all the things that I was able to achieve off court, all the friendships that I've been able to build my friends. You know, the diversity of my francis My best friends is Turkish, Japanese, Mexican and Belarusians and stuff. So it's very cool the pool that I've been able to create. I think while I play, it's very hard for me to have that reflection and understanding of what I've done in the sport. And I'm not the best in talking about myself, but I definitely feel it. In a few years, so whenever I decided to start playing, I'll have hopefully the moment of that reflection.
Speaker 2: And you can hear more of that conversation with Victoria as a nker and more episodes of the sit Down by searching for The sit Down wherever you get your podcasts. That's all for Day two of the Australian Open. Join us again tomorrow for all of the big stories from Day three the conclusion of the first round. Be sure to subscribe to never miss an episode, and please consider leaving a rating in review so more people can discover the tennis. You can also watch out daily spotlight segment on our YouTube channel, Australian Open TV and I'll catch you tomorrow for more of the tennis