Speaker 1: So jur the next twenty odd minutes on a show we are joined by Jerry Seinfeld won the World's Best Comedians, not as best comedians, but postly for me, I think one of the very best to ever do it. I shot Ricky Gervas and email over the weekend because I know the two of them friends, and I said, look, you know who do you think who's on the mount Rushmore of stand up comedians? And he said, you start with Jerry. Jerry's one of the greatest stand up comedians. You can see a topic Jerry does a topic, say about marriage, which every comedian's probably done their take on marriage, but there's something about the way Jerry Seinfeld does it where it's like he goes back down the mine that so many comics have been down and we'll do again, and finds a different scene down there, or a different way of doing the gold or bringing back gold back up about it. I saw him live about five years ago and he did this twenty minute routine about marriage and it was so like the final take on it. In this stadium is playing in London, fifteen thousand people. Every single professional stand up comedian in the UK was there. We're all there, and then all the writers Jesse was there was written succession, every single comedy writers there, you know, in amongst fifteen thousand fans, and you can all see the comedians all looking at each other. I'm not even gonna bother doing anything about marriage anymore. Jerry's just even the definitive word. And also the sitcom Seinfeld. Even if if you see it on TV, it's on stan just twenty minutes, half an half, you want an instant way to cheer yourself up, it is one of the best sort of natural antidepressants you can give yourself. Watch half our episode, any of them of Seinfeld, one the best sitcoms ever. So to me, I think he's a truly gifted guy. And this book he's got out, which is why it's chatting to us and why he's doing promotion at the moment. The book's got out. The moment is all of his stand up routines over the last forty five years. He breaks it up with a fresh chapter about each decade he did stand up, going back to the seventies. What's really interesting is when you read the routines on the page you're reading it in Jerry's very distinctive voice. You kind of got Jerry's in a monologue in your head. But what's great is it gives you appreciation of the real raft that he puts into stand up He's got such a very precise way of using language to turn a phrase to unlock an even bigger laugh that sometimes I was reading some of the lines on there, just staring off at a distance, going on, wow, how did he come up with that? You appreciate what approach he's got to his craft, you know, stand up comedy and turn it into an art form. So anyway, here's our two part interview to the next twenty minutes with Jerry Seinfeld. It's the only interview he's doing on Australian radio and I hope you enjoy it. Let me know what you think now, ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 2: Ladies.
Speaker 1: You know an Australian radio exclusive they called Jerry Seinfeld the nicestuy in Hollywood. Christian O'Connell show proudly presents Jerry Jerry, Jerry.
Speaker 2: Jerry, Yes, Jerry Seinfeld, Jerry, Jerry's Seinfeld. Here's the always entertaining Jerry Seinfeld.
Speaker 1: Christian O'Connell, Jerry Seinfeld welcome to the show. Thank you very much for freeing out some time so to.
Speaker 2: Be on the air and my beloved Australia.
Speaker 1: So listen, where about to you right now? Are you a home Jerry?
Speaker 2: I am at home? Yes?
Speaker 1: And are you sick to death now of this kind of at home showbis? Do you just want to get back out to actually proper showbis because showbiz doesn't belong indoors in our homes, does it?
Speaker 2: Jerry agree, I'm sick of it. Don't just stop, just say we'll be back when things are normal. How sick are you of hearing the social distance? And wear a mask and wash your hands. We get it already.
Speaker 1: And also we're just sick of seeing inside everybody else's homes. You've got to rearrange that bookcase so that you look intelligent. You've got to like set dress your home of it. You must be sick of it.
Speaker 2: I don't think if you're going to have those if you have to prove you've read those books, believe to prove.
Speaker 1: It should be a test that this's conducted mid interview.
Speaker 2: It be some verification that those are your books and you read them.
Speaker 1: And you're so smart, and is it hard with your teenagers. Are your kids all back at home? Jerry?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're in and out. They're in and out.
Speaker 1: Because it's hard with teenager. I've got teenage daughters and we're still in lockdown here in Melbourne, and teenagers just seem to have this innate sense where they want to get away from you, don't they so trapping them in It's like wild animals. It's hard, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yes, it is. I get a huge kick out of it because I remember being like that. You know this forget about you think why as a parent, you think, why would they want to get away from me? I love them so much? Don't they like that? No? They hate that. They hate it.
Speaker 1: I remember years ago when they were younger, they would get so excited when I were coming from work. Now, when you just appear in the they're just like, oh, what are you doing here?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so great to be on the other side of it.
Speaker 1: How did you take to being a dad, Jerry? Did it come naturally? Was that something you worked at?
Speaker 2: I had to work at it. I mean I enjoyed it enormously, but I had no idea that there were things expected of me, there were duties, and responsibilities that came along with us.
Speaker 1: Standard was a very selfish, lonely pursuit.
Speaker 2: You look at you know, so I'm still still happiest like that. I very much like to be alone by myself, very happy.
Speaker 1: But then you've got to reconcile that with your wife needing you to go and do stuff with the kids and take them school shoe sharpage.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, really there was some There was a lot of friction there as I recall, can you help me please? And I would think with what you seem to be doing fine?
Speaker 1: And what do you think the difference is now is a dad between when they were younger, as young kids and now as teenagers. It's a very It's kind of like two different periods of being a dad, isn't there There's the younger kids and now the teenagers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm good at this part.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's more enjoyable this part. Why do you enjoy this bit more, Jerry?
Speaker 2: Because I like to argue, I like to debate, and and I like to be judgmental. That's very useful, you know. But moms, by the time the kid gets to the teens, moms have had it. They're sick of it. But I'm just waking up now. I'm just getting into it now.
Speaker 1: It's like you've come out of hibernation, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I was sitting there reading a magazine for the first fifteen years.
Speaker 1: Jerry, I loved your book. Is this anything? I thought it was great? This year you had the Netflix special and now you've got the book. You're in your mid sixties. Is there a feeling that you want to have some kind of permanent document of what you did?
Speaker 2: Bullseye? That is exactly right. That's why I did both of these things, just because for myself, I wanted to feel like I handed in my final paper of my career. And I hope to do lots more things and be around a lot longer. But I thought this, I need to put this down on record, just for my own sense of completion.
Speaker 1: And are you happy now at sixty six? Do you know who you are more than when you were in your twenty or your thirties?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Sure, I think most people would say that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you care less ways that. Do you care less about what people think about you?
Speaker 2: Oh? For sure, not that I ever really did that much, you know what, I care what audiences think. Yeah, but somebody asked me recently about some critic who wrote something is like, there's nothing less important to a comedian than a critic. We already everyone in the audience is a critic. And I don't think these critics understand when they write a review of your show. We've already left town with the money. Picture me on a plane with the cat.
Speaker 1: And when did it all start? Jerry? You must have gone into comedy at a young age. Who is it that? Yes, who is it first lit that little fire in you? That spark? Or maybe I could do this, or there's a power to it.
Speaker 2: Well, honestly, I never thought I could do it. I never thought I could do it. They were like Olympic athletes to me. I just I don't know how they do that. You know, when you watch the Olympics, we see these people, we recognize that they're humans, right, they're like us. They're humans. But that's that's the only group that we're both a part of. Other than that, they're they're completely freakish humans. So that's what comedians were to me. And I never thought I had any particular talent for it. I just loved it, though.
Speaker 1: And did you at a young age? Did you start to write comedy out. Would you write jokes that you saw on the edge side of and show.
Speaker 2: Well, I would write them down. I'd write jokes on TV that I saw that I liked that, I would write it down to remember it, which I found out my father also did when he was young. He when he was in the army. He was in World War Two in the Pacific, in the Philippines, not that far from Australia, and I remember him telling me like, as you could easily imagine being in a war effort like that so far from home for years at a time, the jokes must have traveled through those groups of people. It must have been one of their great tools of survival. And my father would keep them in a little metal box. He would write them down. It was more joke jokes, you know that people used to tell a lot in the old days, and he used to keep a track of them. So that certainly was something that he handed down to me, was this appreciation of jokes as something more than just, you know, any other type of conversation.
Speaker 1: So growing up in your house was laughter or important with mom and dad.
Speaker 2: Funny, oh yeah, yeah, very funny my dad particularly, but my mom was a great laugher. She just howled at all this stuff my father did. My father used to always talk about dying and make fun of that, and you know, he used to talk about the type of box that he wanted, and my mother would say stop, stop.
Speaker 1: But then where does he go from this love of comedy and of being in awe of its magical powers and then going to do your actual first stand up gigs? I mean, how old are you when you did your first gig get characterizing Star?
Speaker 2: I guess, let's see, that would be seventy five. I would be nineteen twenty years old.
Speaker 1: Then, yeah, that's really young. So we're just.
Speaker 2: Knee knocking terror, just absolute terror. I had no idea if I had any business even trying this, and well, you know, like it would be like doing well, like a cliff dive in Acapulco or something. You know those guys they dive, They wait for the water to come in at the right time and then they dive. That's what it felt like. So in my last special on Netflix, twenty three Hours to Kill, it starts with me jumping out of a helicopter over the Hudson in New York City.
Speaker 1: That's where you do the dive.
Speaker 2: And it's because that's what it felt like to go into comedy. It felt like jumping out of a helicopter and I had no idea what was in that river? I just jumped.
Speaker 1: And what do you remember from your first gig? Do you ever still think about that, that first gig where it all started?
Speaker 2: I do, Yeah, I think about it.
Speaker 1: What can you remember?
Speaker 2: I remember the quiet? I remember that.
Speaker 1: That would that would stay with you, that memory with it. The silence.
Speaker 2: You really it's really quiet up there when they introduce you and you get up to the microphone and there's not a sound in that room and you realize, oh, they're not they're not even in a good mood, let alone laughing. The thing that's, you know, gets you along is you're around a lot of other people doing the same thing, and then you do this and it's not very good, and you come off stage and you talk to other people who also just had the same experience, and now all of a sudden, you're in a club with these other people who are having these this you know, brutalizing emotional experience and pursuing this absurd dream and being in that club, I mean to me, was just that that was everything I wanted in life right there. I just want to be in the club. You know, people say I'm a great comedian, or I'm this, or I'm not that great or you know, I don't care what people think. I just want to be in the club.
Speaker 1: It's just weird because that still comes across the like comedians in cars. You know, you see your absolute joy in hanging out with other funny people. And one of my favorite episodes is the one with Eddie Murphy where you're so reverential to Eddie Murphy. To him, I think you called him the special one or the magic one. It's amazing how you still bow down to to Eddie Murphy. Do you think he's the greatest to ever do it?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, you know. To me, comedy is it's like a flavor, you know, like me personally, I love Marin Ea sauce. But that doesn't mean it's the world's greatest flavor. It's just what I like. That's why they have all these different restaurants, will always different foods. Everybody likes something different, so everything everything that exists, somebody loves it and somebody hates it. So there's no greatest.
Speaker 1: Are you still keeping up some kind of regular writing routine. Do you still have a set days or set times? Do you?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I love that. It's like those old surfers. You ever see those old surfers that just keep paddling out every day. They're all by themselves, they live on some island in Hawaii or something. They just paddle out and catch some waves. That's what it is for me. It's just a daily thing. Let's paddle out and see if we can catch some waves.
Speaker 1: And do you sit just down and you see what comes up? Or have you got a couple of ideas that you're working on? What are you working on at the moment, for example, is there a big playing with.
Speaker 2: Tons of ideas. I was just talking to a guy before I was talking to you, and he said a quick question, and I thought, well, what what is a quick question? People say quick question? I don't even know what that means. And it was just so sick of hearing it. So I'll jot that down. I go, I want to do a bit about I'm sick of hearing quick question.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no one ever says long question, do they?
Speaker 2: Yeah, a long question? Long question?
Speaker 1: Well, listen, Jerry, we're running out of time. Thank you very much for chating to us. I love the book and on behalf of so many people listeners. Thank you so much for working so hard at your gift and craft you make. You make so many thank hey, pleasure. All right, take care, Jerry. Hopefully we can see you in the next couple of years again doing stand up. You're well, all right, Take care Jerry. Bye.
Speaker 2: I have a good time.