Speaker 1: Welcome to them. Christian O'Connell show podcast Jack Yesterday's homework to do with the eighties and the eighties been a millennia hasn't seen a lot of these eighties movies that were going through. Was to Watch from nineteen eighty six, starring a very young, always beautiful Rob Low Swayze. He's in it, Keanu Reeves, Frank Stallone. Did you notice Frank Stellone?
Speaker 2: I did not know who Frank Stallone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's a belligerent defenseman as well. He's on the on the team.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, he had blinking. He miss it with Keanu rees Oh my.
Speaker 1: God, mainly because of Keanu Reeve's ridiculous French Canadian accent, which he doesn't even commit to. It's there for two lines and then he talks normally. Where that man said, Anna maut This shocking friends, It was the eighties. Want yell cut in thirty years am Now this is gonna look really bad.
Speaker 2: Keanu It's amazing. That was his film debut, being in Young Blood. Crazy that he came back and became a big mix long.
Speaker 1: Way before John can Someone nicked his dog. Where that man he said, Anna mout You studied acting you or I. There are so many at the time. I remember when I first saw that, I was like, guy, this movie so savage, all these singing lines, somedthing you look back. The line go hunt you sent Bernard is one of the lamest lines in movie history. He's scum nuts, scum nuts. And then also this line too wanna go pretty by when I got pretty boyt. What did you think of the movie?
Speaker 2: Well, they were always trying to fight each other. I thought the amount of fist fighting and violence was pretty grotesque.
Speaker 1: It's more about fighting than ice hockey.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So Rob Low is a great ice hockey player, but.
Speaker 1: He's also got a great rigg, isn't he What a beautiful young man?
Speaker 2: You do see with his shirt off quite a bit.
Speaker 1: Well, you see his naked, but about fifteen minutes in, like most of his movies in the eighties, he was naked having sex with someone within fifteen minutes.
Speaker 2: Didn't hold back on that sex scene, did they.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: The scariest scene of any movie I've probably ever seen was the hazing scene with Roblow.
Speaker 1: Again Swaysy Throat Rip in Roadhouns.
Speaker 2: They hold down Roblow Patsy to haze him into the hockey team. Right, he's naked. The whole hockey team holds him down. Patrick Swayzey puts a jock strap over his mouth like he's a doctor, has a barber's razor.
Speaker 1: Old school kind of Jack the Ripper slasher.
Speaker 2: And shaves his his area.
Speaker 1: Need to just go all the way.
Speaker 2: But it looks like he's going to cut his member off.
Speaker 1: Yeah it does. It is jacket a sleep this night last night, it was terrified by. It's got a lot of the cliches of eight sports movies. So he's got the bitter older brother. Did he lose an eye?
Speaker 2: He lost an eye playing hockey.
Speaker 1: Then he's got the old mumbling dad who's a farmer, you know, doesn't guess what if dad doesn't want him to go to that America and play in the big leagues and become a big time hot shot and needs help out on the farm, doesn't he?
Speaker 2: And then we found out that the dad used to play hockey.
Speaker 1: Want to surprise, the dad is played by a hockey great, Nestarenko. Eric Nestarenko's not one of the all time greats of hockey.
Speaker 2: This is how much they were obsessed with violence. In the film So Roblow's character is great at skating, he's great at hockey skills, but he's not going to make it as a pro because he can't fight terrible. So he comes back to his hometown. His dad takes him to the local rink and says, come on, hit me, I'm going to teach you how to fight. His dad, who didn't want him to play hockey, is provoking.
Speaker 1: You learn to you learn to play ice hockey on the rink. You learn to fight here. And they're in a barn, and now we need to tell the UFC these fighters do not need to go on a six week training camp. In two short days, Rob Low becomes the greatest fighter there ever was just in two days, hitting that bag and the speedball with his dad and his brother.
Speaker 2: Everybody's fighting. So the coach throws a punch at somebody in the crowd during a game.
Speaker 1: How great is that? Classic? Kind of sort of like in Rocky as well, that kind of Mickey character of the I'm Pat Moriarty from Chronic Kid, that kind of grizzled coach character. He's great the actor and that.
Speaker 2: He's great, But this is the problem with it. I thought the moral of the story was going to be Rob Low doesn't need to resort to violence like everybody wants him to. He doesn't need to be a fighter to be a great because he.
Speaker 1: Gets the great big last scene and he wins the game in the league.
Speaker 2: He wins the game. It's three all, he's got the penalty shot. There's three seconds ago he makes a shot. I thought, great, it's proving he doesn't need violence to make it as a hockey player. Then the siren goes. He starts fighting with his hockey stick like a sword fight with his main enemy, disarms him, armed him, and then beats the crap out of him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, horrifically.
Speaker 2: The game is over and mercilessly he beats him.
Speaker 1: In no way does Rob Low beat that evil He's like one of the most evil less eighties badd he's ever seen that racky.
Speaker 2: And then he beat like beats this guy up. It's pretty confronting.
Speaker 1: It's like he's making him eat ice at one point.
Speaker 2: Then he signs autographs for a bunch of kids who look up.
Speaker 1: To it and watched this whole ground and pound going on, like, dad, what's he doing.
Speaker 2: That's the end of the movie. Yeah, and we're left going like, all right, I guess violence is the answer. Is that what I'm taking away from this?
Speaker 1: It was the eighties. Jacket was a very different time. The scene where his dad doesn't want him to go and leave the farm and to become a nice hockey player, right, classic cliche of natic cliche. We want to know this morning, how's this ever happened in real life where you went to get into some line of work, whether it was the army or the police, or to be a fire and your dad was like, please don't do that. Did anyone go ever in real life against their dad's wishes? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Are you in a Korean now that your parents didn't want you to do it?
Speaker 1: Christian Connell's show podcast. Yesterday Jack and I watched the eighties movie young Blood. Jax has asked me to text friend of the show. I think I might be stretching it today. I think he might block men. Brereton just wake it up this morning to a text to me going, hey, did you watch eighties movie young Blood with Rob Low and Swayze? It didn't inspire you when like Swazey you kissed Duckworth. Let me know asap.
Speaker 2: I'm they came out of the similar time. So in nineteen eighty six was young Blood During a melay, Patrick Swayzey grabs the referee and gives him a kiss on the lips. Then the next year is the famous Dermy moment We're on the.
Speaker 1: Field, I think you're onto something.
Speaker 2: He's in a fight with Billy Duckworth, grabs him by the face and kisses him on the lips.
Speaker 1: This show demand's answers, Dermy, please let me know asap. Rob Low from young Blood, the star of young Blood. He's some relentlessly cheerful, healthy positive man, isn't he. I'd love to get him on the show. Does a very very good podcast as well. Roblow Anyway, he's on Joe Rogan recently talking about doing the movie young Blood and how intense swayze he was.
Speaker 4: He might be the most intense sky ever.
Speaker 1: Really.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he'd be up all night writing and like doing Buddy Wheat push ups with his feet up against the wall all night long, and then show up at the set having nights slapped and winning to hear his new demo. He was like a lot, It's great, He's great.
Speaker 1: And then he talks about this.
Speaker 4: He tried to get us to put that guid for sakend song. She's like the wind in Young Blood.
Speaker 2: You're like, we're like.
Speaker 1: This in an ice hockey movie. That's the movie anything Swayzy is. He doesn't get enough credit. He's one of the great So I think the one great thing about the eightes of the Ages hopefully is exposed you to the greatness of Patrick Swayzey.
Speaker 2: He's fast becoming my favorite icon of the eighties. In Youngblood my favorite character, and rhoad House is probably my newest favorite eighty film and swayze is the stuff, all right.
Speaker 1: So we're asking today, like in a lot of eighties movies, you see this in quite a few of them, where the dad there's always some dad who doesn't want the kid to go and live out their dreams. They want them to stay on the farm or work in the steel mill. It's always something industrial and heavy and laborious, isn't it. And there's always that scene where they're arguing and then the sun finally says, what's been hanging around for years? We goes don't end up like you pushes this old man who falls into hay, you know, and the mom looks through like a window where she's washing a plate. Oh God, is that is that every other?
Speaker 2: Your dad's just trying to protect you.
Speaker 1: I'm so disported my dad. He never did that with me, so I could have that moment. Please say, you don't want to become a DJ now. I hope you do get to live out those dreams of playing nickelback. All right, let's go to Fiona. So we're asking, what's this your life? Did your dad try to stop you living out your dreams? Fiona? I think this was your mom's story.
Speaker 3: It is my mom's story. So my mom decided her father and played hockey for Australia once.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: The reason he didn't like her playing hockey for Australia was he had had a serious hip injury which actually made one of his legs six inches shoulders than the other by having.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I'm not laughing at it, it's just quite a discrepancy between one side and the other.
Speaker 3: So yeah, so he pretty much had a hit replacement when he was ten years old because he played hockey and got injured and he didn't want mum to play hockey.
Speaker 1: I could understand.
Speaker 2: This is so much like the film.
Speaker 1: I can't believe the first cool we get is your one. It's so close to the plot of y.
Speaker 3: She missed out on playing at the Olympics in Melbourne in nineen fifty six because of it.
Speaker 1: This is incredible, so said.
Speaker 2: She played for Australia once. So she did it once and then had to retire because your dad made her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, pretty much in a nutshell, that's it.
Speaker 1: So she missed out on playing for Australia the Olympics here at.
Speaker 3: The Melbourne Olympics in nineteen fifty six. So she played a qualifying match in Multura, which is where she was based. And yeah, then of course then she wasn't allowed to play. You wouldn't let her go. He wouldn't pay for it to get to go to Melbourne.
Speaker 1: God, that is incredible, amazing stuff, Fiona, Thank you very much for sharing.
Speaker 3: Thank you. Have a great day, guys.
Speaker 1: This is the Christian O'Connell Show podcast