Speaker 1: It's our three hundred in the interview process for the CEO role at Meetup, and David Siegel is getting fed up. Yes, you heard that right. David interviewed in one form or another for more than three hundred hours before accepting the role as Meetups CEO. Now, David probably values the interviewer as part of the hiring process more than anybody else. But this was getting ridiculous, and he said, so it's a bold move to tell your potential employer that you're done with the interview process before they are. But David's a big fan of bold moves. Now, in his third CEO position, David wants to share his expertise on leadership and he believes it all comes down to decision making. So how do you decide? How do you know when it's the right time to nod politely and carry on and when it's time to put your foot down and say enough is enough? How do you decide who to hire and who to fire? David breaks down his decision making framework and shares the key lessons he learned on the way to building it. My name is doctor Amantha Imba. I'm an organizational psychologist and the founder of behavioral science consultancy invent him and this is how I work a show about how to help you do your best work. So David has a pretty long list of things he thinks about when it comes to making decisions. I wanted to know a few things the feature on that.
Speaker 2: List, you know, I think the most common way that people make decisions, first of all, is the typical pro cons list, right, And it's very simple, and I think probably people have been doing it since like back in cave band cave person days, whereas like you know, hunt or gather and the pros each of them. The problem with that kind of decision framework for a lot of people is it assumes that you already know the two potential best options to evaluate, and oftentimes you don't. And I think what's more important than like a framework per se rigid framework is more like guiding principles that are particularly important in decision making that you kind of keep in the back of your head and move to the front of your head. So, you know, I think about a number of guiding principles and I'll just share a few of them with you without the details. And then if you want to weak a riff and go into more detail on any of them that you like, but here's just a few of them. So Number one principle is just transparency and radical candor and sharing as much as possible. And the reason for that is because oftentimes when people make poor decisions, it's because they don't have access to the same information that you have, or they don't have access to all the information and they have certain opinions that may be very very very different have they get access to the right information. So just transparency within on a personal level and transparency on a professional level is extremely important towards decision making. The second one, I would say is a big one for me is just the criticality of disagreements in order to drive smart decisions. You know, surround yourself by people that disagree. And even though it's harder and will lead to more tension and more frustration because it makes the decision more difficult when you have people around you that disagree, it's so important because it ends up resulting in kind of really thinking through what's right and what's not right, as opposed to surrounding yourself by just kind of like yes people all the time. And I could go on and on. Those are two and I'm happy to share more, you know, as time goes on. I just don't want to talk for this long right in the beginning.
Speaker 1: Now, I'm really interested in what you say about speed, because being speedy is something that you say is very important, and I think a lot of people struggle with that. So how do you apply being speedy to decision making, particularly when you're a CEO and you know this is so much at stake?
Speaker 2: Okay, So my favorite quote on speed is the following by Teddy Roosevelt, president of the United States, about one hundred years ago. And the quote is the following. The best decision is a good decision. The second best decision is a bad decision, and the third best decision is no decision. And I think, Amantha, you know exactly what I'm referring to, which is people's propensity oftentimes for inertia and for analysis paralysis, and for the lack of comfort in just getting out there and making a speedy decision and just seeing what happens. People fear failure, people fear mistakes, when in reality, the best thing that you could possibly do is to get something out the whole, minimum viable product. Lean startup type methodology and that's true on a person level, and it's also true on a professional level. Learn from it and iterate and make it better. And what people say, but what happens if I do a bad job the first time I get it? What happens if I don't do the right thing? What I usually say is you're always going to do it suboptimally, You're always going to do it wrong. So you want to learn as quickly as possible how wrong you were, so the next time you could just be a little bit less wrong. So the need for speed is so critical and decision making because oftentimes also you miss out on opportunities if you don't take that action quickly. And I just one of the most important things. Again, I'm not just on the professional level, but a personal level as well. You know, should I go out with someone or not go out? So let's you know, you spend a month ruminating about whether or not you should go out with a person or not they may already be in another relationship by then you lost the option, So it works in both ways.
Speaker 1: Something I think about a lot is like as a lad and which decisions should you delegate versus which should you cape? And I remember a while ago. Now Id Rahul Vora, who's the founder of Superhuman, which I talk about on this show probably too much because I just love that email software so so so much. And something Rahul spoke about was identifying reversible versus non reversible decisions as a CEO and how he will he will make the non reversible decisions that can't be reversed, they're very high stakes, whereas any reversible decision that can be undone, he will delegate. And I'd love to know for you, David, how do you think about which decisions you will take as a CEO versus what you delegate to your team.
Speaker 2: Okay, so, first of all, I love the reversible and irreversible. My turn that I tend to use when I talk to my teams is the idea of trapdoor decisions and non trapdoor decisions. A lot of times most decisions are non trapdoor decisions. So deciding to that you want to have a child and having a child, that's a trappedoor decision. You kind of really aren't going to unwind that decision, I hope, And that's not a reversible decision. Most people, however, overestimate how irreversible something may be. And underestimate how actually reversible something is. Oftentimes and you know, maybe not easily changed, but it certainly is more changeable than they may realize. Even a company strategy, which is so important for a CEO, you know, to not delegate and to own that again can be pivoted in many ways. So my first statement before going in to delegation, which I will, is to say, don't assume that decisions are irreversible. Many decisions are very easily reversible. It just may take a little bit of time. That's point one. My philosophy on delegation as a CEO is the following. I hire functional experts who are all better than me in their functions. Are head of marketing a heck of a lot more about marketing than I do, and our head of knows the same or had a product. The head of technology knows the same around tech. So the reason I hire them because they are the experts. So if there is any area that is a decision to be made, that is a clear functional decision, then that is one hundred percent delegated all the time. Step one. Step two is if I believe that I am the one and only, uniquely best person to make that decision, which is by the way, extremely rare, maybe one or two percent of the time, and I could go into what those are, then I should be making that decision, But the other ninety eight percent of the time, someone else should be making that decision because they will do a better job. Now, my role is to challenge the decision, is to question it if I think ral's questioning, but certainly not to make that decision. So then, per your question, what are the things that specifically a CEO should be most focused on? Here they are? So number one is, as Jim Collins said, first who then what? In his book Good to Great, focus on who is on the bus, who your executive team is, Who are the people they're going to be leading the company underneath you, and make sure you have those right people. Don't start focusing on what the right strategy is until you have the right people in place. That's probably the number one most important decision that you have. And agonize, agonize over who those right people are and make sure that you're not afraid to make changes if they're not the right people. That's top priority decision number one. Top priority decision number two is what I like to talk about, which is key strategic processes to enable smart decisions by a company. I know that's a mouthful, sertingly explain what that means. What that means is I don't believe that I should decide the strategy, because I think it needs to be a collaborative process between me, the executive team and also input from lots of employees. But what I should decide, however, is what processes do we want to set up within the company. And it could be OKAYRS, which is a common process that are used which says we're objectives and key results or what other And it could be quarteral, it could be annually, it could be monthly reviews, whatever those processes are, to make sure that you're developing what the strategy of the company should be, and also more importantly, how you're pivoting and how you're adapting that strategy as you gain additional data and additional information, and that you're not constantly making changes in people's heads are all over the place, but you're also not stuck in doing things when data and other information proves otherwise. So actually building that almost strategic process infrastructure is to be really really important to enable success.
Speaker 1: Now we've talked about what makes good decisions? What about bad decisions? Like, when you think about some of the really bad decisions that you've made as a CEO, can you identify what's led to you making poor decisions?
Speaker 2: Oh, my gosh, Okay, So, my everyone has their Achilles heel. For some people, their Achilles heels anger. For other people that are achilles heel is lack of confidence and imposter syndrome. For me, my Achilles heel has been through my career is wanting to be liked too much and not upsetting people and having people feel as happy and comfortable as possible. Which you think, hey, David, that's a great thing for a CEO to do. You should do that. But I'll give you an example of an enormous mistake that I made that that is probably one of the biggest mistakes I made in my career. I'll tell you what it is, which is I had joined meet up and we were really overly bloated. The company was losing twenty million dollars, close to twenty million dollars a year. And of course, for relative to Rework, that was you know, nothing, but relative to us that was meaningful. We were owned by we work at the time, I may add, so, so I realized we could not. We have too many employees and there were too many pet projects that were going on, and we had to do a layoff, and then after layoff, a lot of employees were well. First of all, I did not cut deep enough in that layoff, because I didn't want to right start from the beginning and build all these enemies and have people dislike me right in the beginning, even though we should have cut our costs much more significantly. So that was mistake number one related to the achilles hell that I have. But the state number two, which was unforgivable, I may add, was that we did a big Q and a session of course with all employees afterwards, and one person asked the question, and they said, how can you assure us that this is the first of many and that we shouldn't be looking for a job right all of us looking for a job right now. And I got so nervous that everyone's going to start looking for a job if I didn't give them the confidence that they didn't need to worry, that there wasn't going to be that there was wasn't going to be another laugh. And I said we're done. We're done. You should not need to worry, because I wanted people to feel comfortable and secure that we're done now. I wanted that to be the case. But in reality, you never know what's going to happen in an organization. You never know what kind of situation, You never know what pandemic is going to hit, and what kind of changes you're going to make. It wasn't three or six months later, but still twelve months later, we had to do a much larger layoff at that particular time, and people remembered that I had said we were done, And you know, that's an example of just a really poor decision, where the basis for that decision was wanting to be liked and making people feel good, and I could have said it in a different way that didn't give any kind of promise.
Speaker 1: What strategies did you use to help rebuild the trust that presumably was a little bit breaken after that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So, just on the topic of trust, I'll just share with you one day, I had an opportunity five years ago, I was the CEO of Investipedia prior to this, to sit with the famous Jack Welch who passed away, and he was the CEO of the world's largest valued company called General Electric for a long time, and he actually won Time Magazine's award for Best Manager of the Century of the entire twentieth century. And I said to him, what's the one piece of advice you would give me? And his answer was, it's all about building employee trust. If you have employee trust, then all those areas that are gray neither clearly good nor bad people will perceive positively. And if you don't have it, then everything that's in that gray area, and there's most things are in that care area, people are going to see negatively. And you're The most important that you could do is bill trust, you know, in terms of your decision and your work. So I'm glad you asked that question. So the answer is is that I followed Jack Welsch's advice because then I said to him, what's the most important thing I could do to bill trust? And he said, be as transparent as possible. So what did I do after doing that? The previous founder never shared financials every single month. We shall share one hundred percent of our financials with the company so they can see exactly how we're doing from a financial perspective. Every time we have a board presentation, we share the full board deck with all the information that we're sending to the board. Every employee gets to see the exact same thing, and then we have a Q and A session with me or with our CFO or others to go through any questions that people can have. We had we have on listening sessions with all employees where people can ask question Q and A. At one point we were doing that every other week and then different times we're doing it once a month, but give people that forum. We have manager Q and A sessions where it just managers asking those kind of questions. So a lot of it just comes down to as much communication as possible and creating the forum for people to feel comfortable asking you those questions and when people ask you a tough question, to thank them for asking it and to not shy away for those tough questions either. That to me is the most important thing in building trust.
Speaker 1: What do you do at that one on one level, like you know, particularly with your direct reports and perhaps that level below to build trust.
Speaker 2: Good. Okay, so first of all, let's talk about the level below first, which is the importance of skip meetings. So many leaders exclusively meet one on one with their direct reports. I set up a cadence of meetings with every single person who reports to one of my direct reports on a periodic basis. Sometimes it's once a month, sometimes it's just once a quarter, and I'm talking to them four times a year for thirty minutes each time, so it doesn't have to take a lot of time. But those SKIP meetings are very important, and I would probably say I spend a third to a half of those meetings just getting to know the person, building a personal relationship, talking about the personal, not just the professional, because a great way to build trust is to make sure that people get to know you, get to know you as a human, get to know you as a person with fears and concerns, and speaking of that. The more that you're able to share your personal challenges, your vulnerabilities, your concerns about the company, your thoughts, that really tends to build much greater levels of trust because it builds a deeper, closer relationship than just more superficial type conversations or business only type conversations. And then it's important for SKIP levels, and it's also important for direct reports. The other thing that I tried to do with direct reports in one on ones is their religion to me, meaning I will never cancel one on one without saying to someone first, is that okay if we cancel this week one on one? Or is it okay if we shorten the amount of time for our one on one? Those one on ones are very important, and I think oftentimes leaders don't realize how the important they are to their direct reports, and they get canceled, they get moved. They shouldn't be. The second next thing that we do is we often but not always, have agendas prior to those one on ones, but we make sure not to just stick to only the agenda, and at the end of the one on one, oftentimes I'll say something like, what did we not talk about that's on your mind, that's really important to you, and people tend to appreciate that. The other thing I try to do is make sure that one on ones are not just a tactical list of check check check, check check, did you do this, do this, do this kind of thing, but that we're stepping back and kind of talking bigger picture questions and we're pulling ourselves out of kind of the day to day, and I think that's oftentimes motivational for leaders to be able to do and hard and important, hard to do because they're oftentimes so stuck in the day to day, but very important in a one on one type dialogue.
Speaker 1: We will be back soon with David talking about what's involved in a typical CEO's day that would surprise people, along with his approach to building company culture. And if you're looking for more tips to improve the way that you work, I write a short fortnightly newsletter that contains three cool things that I've discovered that help me work better, ranging from interesting research findings through to gadgets and software I'm loving. You can sign up for that at Howiwork dot co. That's how I Work dot co. I'd love to know more about, like what's involved in the day to day work of being a CEO of a huge company that you think would surprise people.
Speaker 2: How non glamorous it is. Start with that. I mean, it's really so funny people to think, oh gosh, it must be great you're CEO and you're doing the glamora. I'm usually shoving food down my face and like you know, five to seven minutes while I'm on another meeting with someone running downstairs and grabbing something tuna fish and whenever I could grab leftovers, you know, running back upstairs to you know, a typical zoom meeting because we're there today. So first step I would say is it has incredibly non glamorous. I think people you know, watch shows and cee CEOs jetting off and first class or private jest to you know, do all these amazing activities, and that's definitely not the case. That's one Two is I spend personally an enormous amount of my time on kind of h R and people related activities, and I think most CEOs spend a lot more time than most people realize, frankly, So what do I mean by that? Helping to recruit top talent? So for example, just today, there was a director of data science who were trying to recruit and the person wasn't sure. So I reached out to the person to have a zoom meeting and get to know that person a little bit better to try to persuade them to potentially join working with different hiring managers to make sure that they're really thinking about whom to hire. So that's one part helping to motivate people, train people. Those are very you know, typical HR people related practices, But you spend a lot of time, at least I spend a lot of time on those types of activities and communication. Like what I like to say is, unless you're sick of hearing the same thing over and over again, you haven't said it enough, and you have to say it in lots of different venues. So I'll send a message in slack that's not good enough, then I need to follow it up potentially an email that's not good enough. Then we have an all hands meeting every other week and we want to have a slide on that that's not good enough. Like, you need to repeat the same messages over and over again. And it's not people's fault that they need that repetition. It's just human nature. Everyone's very busy, and also people need clarity, and by repeating messages over and over again, it drives that clarity, which is so helpful for people. So I would say tremendous amounts of time spent on communication and on the people aspects of work, and very little time on decision making, as funny as it sounds, because I'm talking about decisions a lot. But the best decision oftentimes is knowing who the right person is to make a decision, and it's you know, people reaching out to me all the time and saying, hey, can you do you know? Can we do this? Can we do that? And usually my response is I don't have any ability to make that decision at all. You have to talk to our head of.
Speaker 3: Product or head and I shouldn't be because if I'm making that decision, that's a great way to piss off people on my team and not have they want to work with me because that's their responsibility to make those decisions.
Speaker 1: How do you train people, like, how do you train people to stop asking you for permission? Because you know, it's something I encounter a lot as well, and even when I transition to out of a CEO role, it required training for people not to come to me to make decisions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So so much comes down to building a culture within a company where people understand that again at meetup not this isn't true necessary of all companies, but the culture that we want to build is asking for forgiveness, not for permission. And so much comes down to having certain values as a company that are at the center of everything that you do, and we have six values, you know, as a business. And you know, one of those values, for example, is called step up. And what we say when we say tell people that the value is about step up, stepping up is saying, I don't care what your job description is like, we want you to step up and take on more responsibility. Then you feel comfortable taking on because that's how you're going to also move up in your career, and that's how better decisions are going to get made. And we take this six values, and I can share all six if you want it, but we take those six values and embedded in everything we do. It's part of the recruiting process, who we hire, as part of promotion process, who we decide to promote. It is part of our performance review process or three and sixty three feedback process. Everything kind of is anchored in those six values. And if you're able to anchor it in those things, then systemically it's going to become much more part of the company.
Speaker 1: And you, like you've said that one of the key roles of a CEO is around company culture, and I'm assuming that you see like that as one of the biggest parts of your role.
Speaker 2: Yes, very much so.
Speaker 1: But like culture is something that can be such a nebulous term, So like, what does company culture mean to you?
Speaker 2: Well, here's what I like to say a lot of times, which is when you know, when some people say in a company, oh my god, the culture of this company just sucks. Terrible culture, right, people say that all the time, right, hopefully not about your company and my conomy, but people say that, what they really mean is, oh my gosh, the leadership of this company just sucks. The leadership of this company is just how there's so little difference between it's just a euphemism between culture and leadership, because the leadership of a company will help to drive a culture. Now, I inherited a certain culture at meetup from the founder because I was the first CEO to take over from a founder who is leading the company for sixteen years prior to my joining, So there wasn't existing culture, of course, But it's important to recognize. Step one is that who you are as a leader, how you choose to lead, is directly related to what the company's culture specifically is. And when you talk about a culture, what you mean are what's ultimately rewarded within an organization and what ultimately is do people perceive as something that is a negative and shouldn't be done. It's not like, oh, we have a great culture because go barbecuing all the time. Like that's not a culture. That's just like a fun thing that employees enjoy. What's ultimately rewarded and what's ultimately you know, frowned down upon? That to me is really representative of a company culture.
Speaker 1: And so how do you as a CEO go about shaping that culture, and particularly when you've inherited one that maybe you do want to change.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, when I inherited meetup. Meetups culture was extraordinarily mission focused, and the mission is an amazing mission. The mission is about curing the loneliness epidemic that exists in this world. Forty six percent of people regularly feel lonely, and community and building community and helping people to build community is an incredible noble cause. But our employee base were there because of the mission and was almost like a nonprofit mentality, and we were losing a lot of money, but it was it was an anti business actual culture where if I stood up there on my first day, I remember I stood up there and I said I care about a whole bunch of things. One thing I care about is revenue. Let's here it for revenue, and people are like boo. Now, of course people didn't understand. You get your paycheck because you have good revenue. And I liked I'd said over and over again until I'm nauseated by the statement. But I really deeply believe it. Revenue gives oxygen to our mission, and if you don't have revenue, you can't really fulfill the mission that we have as a company. So it was a very precarious situation that I had to change, and ultimately the way that I changed it is what I was referencing earlier. We changed out near the my twelve direct reports. Only one of them was still there. Six months later, eleven of the twelve people were no longer part of the company, and within a year we had an entirely new kind of leadership team that resulted in many employees saying, I liked our old culture where we spent one hundred thousand dollars on a holiday party. That's nice, but we can't afford to do that. We want meet up to continue forever and not to be shut down because you know, we're losing so much money, So you have to be comfortable making some people kind of less comfortable and changes that you're making. But it all stems from the top. And if at the top you don't have the right people that are the embodiments of the culture and the priorities that you're instilling within a company, you're not going to be able to instill them just by yourself.
Speaker 1: Now. You mentioned, of course that made Up used to be owned by Way Work, and the tale of Adam Newman, one of the founders and see of We Work is a pretty crazy one. What was your approach when working with a leader who is so unpredictable?
Speaker 2: I guess okay, So I just started watching re Crashed on Apple TV that just came out this past week, and wow, do they do a good job of portraying Adam. They didn't even exaggerate much, to be honest. So you know, you have to decide as a leader whether or not a person that you're going to come in contact with and need to work with is someone that you can potentially find a working relationship or not, And almost always you can. And you shouldn't just wave the white flag and give up and say I can't. I know that I'm not going to be able to work effectively with this person, so I'm not What I did with Adam is not something I would suggest doing, and I don't believe it's a I'll repeat that what I did with Adam is not something that I would suggest doing and is not a best practice. But to be very honest, what I did is I said I need to minimize as much contact with Adam as possible because he is unable to be pulled in and rained in and he has so many strong opinions that are not found. Not that there's no necessarily data driven basis that I need to minimize attractions. So what I did right for the day one is I told the person I was reporting to, and his name is Artie Minson, who was the president's CFO we work at the time, I said, I want the first three months to have zero contact with Adam. Zero contact, and he's like, really, I said, I need to learn about the business and to come up with my own opinion. And only after three months, well, am I interested? And then really getting Adam's perspective. But week one he's going to have a lot of opinions of things that we should be doing. And I'm just going to be on the defensive and I'm not going to really be able to say, here's actually my suggestions of what we should do. So I remember I felt so great about this. One month in to me being the meet up, I get a call and it's from Adam, and the first thing he says, David, I know I'm not allowed to talk to you, but I just had a question about some that used to work for you, just to get your quick perspective on whether or not you think they're strong. And I was like, wow, kudos to Adam that he acknowledged and realized that. And then sure enough, only after three months of me being in the role do we then start engaging in more back and forth dialogue, each of which only further cemented why it was good to have taken that three month break to have come up with a strategy. But you know, when we first finally met, I said, Adam, here's a strategy, here's a document, here's there's here's the financial basis for it, here's what the opportunity for growth is for it. And it made for a lot easier conversation of me sharing a plan that he would react to than having him share his plans and having me kind of react to those.
Speaker 1: So I'm curious about that because Adam is notorious for setting pretty insane wild goals, and in your book you say that you prefer not to set wildly ambitious goals. So what is your approach to goal setting? Like, how do you know if you're stretching the company enough but not being too crazy?
Speaker 2: Okay, I love that question. So I think small wins are extraordinarily motivating to teams. And setting a goal of I'm making this up fifty percent growth and you only grow fifteen or twenty percent, let's say in the previous year group by ten percent, but now you double that growth, but you're still far behind what the goal was is so debilitating and so demotivating that people feel that they're in a no win situation. When people feel like they're in a no win situation, they will leave a company. Great people can leave a company. So in my mind, it is far better, far better to set small, achievable goals that you feel good about and they keep compounding one upon the other to make for you know, a lot of success over time and have people build that momentum and feel good about the momentum to take to the obviously next level of the next level. When you set over the outrageous goals like we work did and you don't have the infrastructure to support those goals, well that's how we work in crashing down from forty seven billion of vealuation at one point two five billion valuation today like close to a ninety percent decrease. When you set goals and you build the foundation and the infrastructure to support growth, that's when you ultimately it's going to be sustainable and not like a house of cards. So again, in goal setting previous to me, Adam told my predecessor what the goals needed to be. So, for example, one of the goals was maximize the number of people you could hire as quickly as possible. That was literally a goal. I mean, that's not the way to run a company, and that doesn't make much sense as a key goal. Let's just hire lots of people. So we had I think twenty people in the human resources department. I mean, it just really was was head scratching. And what I did is I said, here are the goals that we're going to be focusing on. Here are the financial goals, and we're going to focus on how and I'm just going to tell you what we need to do in terms of these goals. But at times we actually had to present two different financial projections to we work. There was the regular budget financial statements that we have to present. Then there was the atom financial projection that we had to present where we would get from you know, thirty forty billion dollars into a billion dollars in three years, and kind of have to show both of those two scenarios depending on the meetings. I mean, you know, that's how it was.
Speaker 1: Now, David. For people that want to get their hands on to side and conquer or consume other things that you're putting out into the world, what is the best way for people to connect and consume?
Speaker 2: Okay, so you can find Decide and Conquer Amazon or book Depository or any kind of online forum in anywhere really in the world. The audio version and is phenomenal, So I'm a big recommender of the audio version, as is the Kindle version is quite great as well. We have a website called Decide in Conquer book dot Com. But you could go to really any bookseller and you know, find that book outside of the book terms of Meetup. If you don't know it, download the meetup app, look at Melbourne or Sydney or Perth, or any city that you might be in outside of Astore or anywhere around the world, and you will find some interesting event to go to our app or of course online. But I'm partial to our app, and if you want to contact me, check me out on LinkedIn. I'm easy to find, or you can even email me David at meetup dot com. Pretty simple.
Speaker 1: Amazing, David. I have loved chatting to you and hearing all your amazing stories and just how openly and transparently you talk about these things. I feel like time has just flown by, so thank you so much for giving me some of your time. I found it so fascinating to hear David's approach to goal setting. It's so easy for companies to have these crazy, big goals, especially if you are a big tech business, but it's so demotivating when you don't hit those goals. At invent here, what we do we have an achievable base and then five levels of goals all the way out to something that feels relatively unachievable at the time that we set it, But as we approach the end of this financial year, it's actually looking like we might hit that big, crazy goal. But if that was the only goal we started with, I suspect that the first half of the year would have been pretty rough going with such a big goal in front of us. Now, if you have not subscribed or followed How I Work wherever you're listening to this, you might want to do so, because next week I'm so excited to have Brian Koppelman, who was the creator of Billions, the TV show, talking about his process for writing and creativity. How I Work is produced by Inventium with production support from Dead Set Studios. The producer for this episode was Liam Ridan, and thank you to Martin Nimber who does the audio mix for every episode and makes everything sound much better than it would have otherwise. See you next time.