Speaker 1: Welcome friends to the Christian O'Connell show podcast. The Sleep Deprivation with Kids. We had it with Ruby.
Speaker 2: Our first child is like it's it can become a nightmare like it is torm mentioned.
Speaker 1: We had a really rough first couple of years, the.
Speaker 3: First six months. Obviously a baby is hard. But when once he started sleeping properly, we thought, okay, dun, dusty, you've got one. Now we just sleep through the night. So we have to have this new and putting into bed used to be so easy. I used to hear other parents had to sit with their child book after book after book. Some nights I would just go in there and say like good night and then walk out and he was asleep.
Speaker 1: And now he's.
Speaker 2: Like first six or seven years of Ruby's life, Sarah and I every night at bedtime, you we had to wait in the bed until she's gone to sleep. Of course, then I'd always be by the walls so she was next to me. Then it was like they're like spirit level. You start to move by bit to try and how.
Speaker 1: Am I going to get out the bloody bed?
Speaker 2: Because then suddenly then I'd be commando crawl out the whole thing. I was just dread nighttimes and I and then she we was like, where are you going? You're away some pilates and then getting back in that bed.
Speaker 1: Must have been sleep walking again.
Speaker 3: So we're tag teaming at the moment. So being will do an hour trying to put him to sleep, and then that doesn't work, so tag me in, and then I'll go and tell them some stories and then tag her back in again.
Speaker 1: Out of nowhere. Used to be so good. This is how it is.
Speaker 2: Suddenly what worked yesterday, they're not the same kids, Like, can't.
Speaker 1: You do like a factory reset? On account of the phone.
Speaker 3: I've tried to explain to him. I actually said, you used to go to sleep so much.
Speaker 2: He was trying reason a logic part of the brain that doesn't exist.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, as if I don't know what I was hoping for.
Speaker 1: Why a great mental frame you've given me.
Speaker 4: There that you just get into a routine and get a normal and then they change. That this will happen for many years. And don't make the mistake that Chris and I did, because you know, I was doing bricky radio and sleep was just so important, so important. Just put her in our bed with us, now, do not do that, because she'll be in there till she's.
Speaker 1: You do cave in and do that. That is a tough No.
Speaker 3: He's never come and slept in the bed, but anytime he's tried, he has been too excited that everybody's there in the bed. Yeah, it is exactly. This is awesome, guys.
Speaker 1: Why haven't we done this before? So much more fun. It's for you guys. None of us getting sleep.
Speaker 2: And that's the great thing about it, because you don't have anything to do during the day. You want to get up in a couple of hours time. I think at the moment, you've got to lean into the dinosaur. And it is so inch because actually you're right those words he's saying, like dinosaur names are really long and complicated.
Speaker 1: How can they grasp that?
Speaker 3: I don't know how he's collecting that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then during the nursery they're still not doing ball.
Speaker 2: Right and it comes down with his big wind in Stegosaurus to rnosaurs wrecked.
Speaker 3: So I've got the dinosaur bed sheets up. I reckon, that's the next thing.
Speaker 1: A dinosaur up the bedroom and that and really lean into that. And he loves that. And see how he it's on with good luck. Look Christian Connall Show Podcast, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Everyone is trying to help Jack and his wife out the moment with their two year old son, Gordy, who, for some unknown reason just suddenly doesn't like his bed anymore. I'm done with that Bits of losers, Christian. Can you ask Jack? I will ask Jack in a minute, Chrs. What type of bed does he have?
Speaker 3: It is a single bed on a old wooden frame, Christian.
Speaker 2: I found putting my kids in a toddler bed was easier than a big single bed and only does for a few years. But it seems to make it smaller and cozier for them. Maybe he goes back. Maybe he does that instead and swaps the beds.
Speaker 3: That makes sense. Why he would crawl into the cot. Maybe it feels it's too big.
Speaker 2: It's more contained and like it's a nest for him. Like he's into the dinosaurs at the moment. They used to have nests, didn't they did? They sit on dinosaur eggs?
Speaker 3: Yeah, dinosaur egg that sounds familiar.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jack, why not try glowing the dark dinosaur stickers above his bed?
Speaker 3: You know what's funny about I'm just still scrolling through dinosaur bed sheets is maybe a way to make him like his bed again. So many of these are selling for double beds. Who what kids are sleeping in double beds? Or what adults or what adults getting dinosaur sheets.
Speaker 1: We're not to judge anyone like that.
Speaker 2: You know, when I recommended, why don't you get him some bed sheets, dinosaur bed sheets, I was envious, sadly that's grown ups now. It's like boring colors. It's a semed pans and go into the carpet. Gris getting to me bright colors in case we ever get to resell it and stuff that expent for the phone zones.
Speaker 3: Did you ever have themed bed sheets at any stage in your life?
Speaker 1: Yes, I did add my local my soccer team. I used to love that bed Yeah. I was to kiss the captain good night the face, just to wish him luck for the game, just to say good night to him.
Speaker 2: Actually I met him many years later as an adult, and I felt slightly because I told him the bed sheets. Sorry and this. I don't know what I thought he would do with the story, other than feel very weird. At the opposite, A now middle aged man talking about in his early years before teenage years he said, No, okay, I was just very confused.
Speaker 3: That's why my little pursed as I met you, Brian.
Speaker 2: I think I've been here before, one of my leaning in, Brian. It's so powerful to see you like this last time I saw you on my pedow case. Anyway, Patsy, do you have did you have your own sort of branded bed sheets as Patrina Jones News?
Speaker 4: No, not sheets, but I had quilled No. I had a Holly Hobby quilt. Holly Hobby was huge hobby.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Oh, she was like this little girl, like a cartoon girl.
Speaker 1: Was that from the black and white days?
Speaker 4: No, not the black and white days? And she had like a patchwork sort of dress on and a big bonnet and you never saw her face. She was just sign on. She's big in Australia in the seventies. Holy Hobby and you could get cups and mugs in all the paraphernalia.
Speaker 1: Jackson said, A quick look can tell you're not impressed. Just like basic generic girl illustration.
Speaker 3: Not very exciting. Well, did you have jack Ninja Turtles?
Speaker 1: Who is your favorite?
Speaker 3: I liked Michael Angelo. He's the goofy one, a.
Speaker 2: Bit of anyone, all right, did anyone else have. I wonder there are grown ups that have bed sheets now, like there are like a f L team.
Speaker 1: Ones aren't there for bed sheets?
Speaker 3: What I'm seeing is you can buy full size.
Speaker 1: Doing it like king super King of patented.
Speaker 3: Bed sheets like dinosaurs. So I'm sure you can get them for a whole range.
Speaker 2: Of things if you still have them now nine four one four one o four three. This is the Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 1: Do you have custom bed sheets? Yeah? I know kids do. What about grown ups, Christian?
Speaker 2: I have somes of a Aniki beird sheets and douna cover. That is awesome. That's intimidating. You break into that house, You're thinking you've got some over all the bikers going get out, tidy up, breaks, mend the window we just broke. I'm actually just googled I can buy john Wick douna.
Speaker 4: Cover, Siah.
Speaker 1: I'm going to get it and I'm.
Speaker 2: Going to film her re Actually she will hit the room with she will, she will take a gas.
Speaker 1: I've seen it. It is shocking. It's confronting.
Speaker 2: Christian Goomon and Martin and craigieburn and tell Jack you can remove the drop side from some model cots you can then change it into a toddler bed.
Speaker 1: This might also help.
Speaker 3: Yes, No, you have to buy extra attachment, which we could do.
Speaker 1: We could do.
Speaker 4: Toddler beds don't work. We had that with Audery. It just makes it easier for them to get out because they're just like thirty cinnamons off the floor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right. It's an easy to drop down, isn't it. Yeah?
Speaker 2: So what do you have her up in a treehouse? Locked up in that castle like Rapunzel? In our bed Christian, my wife and I had to have a set of millennium Falcon bed sheets.
Speaker 3: We shan't judge.
Speaker 1: We are judging. You know, I was doing a radio bow.
Speaker 2: I was like bowing down to the awesomeness and that, and he wants us to know that the cockpit is on his side.
Speaker 1: Lucky guy. Okay, this takes something cool now, Michael, good morning.
Speaker 5: Hey, how's it going, Christian?
Speaker 1: I'm good, Michael. So have you got custom bed sheets? I do.
Speaker 5: I'm forty four years old and I actually have a Ninja Turtles doing a cover and pillowcase.
Speaker 1: Get it? So it's jack your jack.
Speaker 5: Trust me, you can go out and buy one right now with a.
Speaker 2: Yeah, get good his dinosaur ones. Get you your old heroes reunied. The man you and Michael Angelo.
Speaker 3: Having problems sleeping. I'm sleeping very well.
Speaker 1: We sleep even better the hero in a half bed.
Speaker 3: You'll definitely sleep better than who's your favorite, Michael Michael Angelo.
Speaker 1: Monny is the favorite, got the biggest heart because thanks all right, Michael, thank you very much. You call me. I have a good day, you too, Laura. Good morning, Laura, good morning.
Speaker 5: I have a tweaty bird doing the cover bed sheet that was a single and I joined together.
Speaker 1: Why do you go onto those? That's quite unusual one.
Speaker 5: I love twity bird. I thought I saw a putty cat.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's a fun time right now.
Speaker 3: And when you say you got two singles, did you stitch them together or just lay them together side by side?
Speaker 5: No? I sewed them together.
Speaker 1: Nice. Wow.
Speaker 5: I had to actually throw out the bed sheet because it got a bit my doing the cover. I've still got at forty ninety years older, and you got one.
Speaker 1: Did you wash it ort to stay on all year round? No?
Speaker 5: I watched it. I rotate all my I've got probably six do covers, and I rotate them, but not tweety bird ones, No, not tweety bird. Tweetybird is one of my favorite. And it seems to come out of the middle of the pile. Not not when I've got it rotated, you prioritize it, and it's it's a blue background with a bright yellow really.
Speaker 1: Do it right, all right? Lovely stuff, Laura, Thank you very much.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Bye, Christian.
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell Show Podcast