Speaker 1: I think something we always were really adamant about with our music and just in general with ourselves was we don't want to be just good for a girl. We want to be good. We get asked our age a lot, which is fine, but I've never heard a boy band get age. A lot of people ask about when you guys going to stop and start thinking about having children, which I was like, well, can't you do both. Whenever people are embarrassed about things, I'm like, there's always probably going to be one story that is your most embarrassing, so anything that happens after that it's not as bad. And this was my embarrassing story that I would never live down.
Speaker 2: Hello and welcome to our special Under the Influence episode. On today's show, we speak to musician and media personality Ella Jermaine. Ella is one third of indie pop siblings Jermaine The trio, who grew up in the Adelaide Hills, are taking the music industry by storm, recently opening for Little Mix and Ronan Keating. We spoke to Ella about how she got her big break, the challenges women face in the music industry, and what it's like to rub shoulders with your idols Well Ella officially welcome to Outspoken. It feels weird talking to you formally because we've just had a lot of chat off Mike.
Speaker 3: The probably can't be ed.
Speaker 2: I just thought we might start off by actually talking about how we know each other, because I think it's kind of interesting how we all met because you're obviously part of well three Sisters and where three sisters accept Kate's not here, but yeah, so how did we all meet?
Speaker 1: I think we had a mutual friend at Channel seven, Beautiful Josephineeto. She was a camera woman there, and she is like, oh, you go, you would love the tourers, And we were trying to picture which sister would like had the similarity because of obviously us three sisters and you guys. So I think I was teamed with you Sophie and they're like, oh, like she's the girly girl. Oh I'm not that, But I feel like I've got a good connection with all the three of you.
Speaker 2: I think Josie said we were both boy crazy as well.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. She just Josie and I were like powers all through UNI and she used to just always be on She'd hack into my Facebook and just chat to anyone any man that was online or anything like that, or update my status with something embarrassing. So and she used to always love giving me staring me up a little bit about fellas. But that's all right.
Speaker 2: It definitely wasn't Sophie's musical ability. No, no, no, gosh, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I feel like a bit of an imposta sometimes the music stuff. But yeah, we'll just go with it.
Speaker 3: So I think you're being very modest.
Speaker 1: Oh, thank you.
Speaker 2: I suppose we wanted to start off by asking you how you actually got involved in music, Like, was it a talent that your parents spotted really early?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I think well, my dad grew up playing in a jazz band with his brothers up on the farm on your peninsula, and he always loved music. So as long as I can remember, we've always had music in our family, more of like a New Orleans sort of jazz style, and we used to go and watch Dad play it, like the Days on the Greens and stuff with his jazz band Gumbo ya Ya. You should check him out. And I remember seeing them on Hey Hey at Saturday for the first time when we were kids, and it was so cool seeing Dad on TV. I don't know if you remember that show. Yeah, so we used to always watch Dad and growing up, and we were it was a massive privilege when we turned seven that we were allowed to learn a musical instrument. Although I think Georgia started violin when she was four, so h yeah, and I wanted to play the cell. I saw the girl on the ABC I'd playing the cell and I'm like, I want to learn that. So we were really that was something that was a massive privilege for us, and we learned all through school and used to do performances for our grandparents. And Mom used to enter us in like a Stedfords and then make us buskin harmed or for lolli money like not maker. She used to dress us up in old fashioned clothes and we used to just say yes to whatever our parents asked us to do. But we obviously enjoyed it. And I think we made like ten bucks or something like in a couple of hours and bought like lollies. But back then you could buy everything like twenty cents apples and things like that. So I think our brother ended up handing out lavender bunches and got the equal cut. Thought that was pretty unfair, but yeah. So, yeah, we've been playing music our whole life and then did it all through school and then my youngest sister, Georgia, she always had the biggest passion for it, and everyone was like, oh, you guys will play music, you should write do a band together, and yeah ended up. Yeah, yeah, ten years later, we're still doing it. But it's been really fun. So, yeah, I traveled a lot and seen lots of things, had some ups and downs. Is no doubt we'd probably talk about today.
Speaker 2: But yeah, that was good and as well as obviously being in the Jermain it's Jermaine.
Speaker 1: Now, it's just Jermaine now. We were Jamaine's sisters, but we were like, people know we're sisters and they can find out we're sisters regardless. But yeah, people still asked us if we were sisters when we were called Jermaine's sisters, and we're like, we would pretty but we're probably not like you guys were you look really alike? That's all right? Yeah, well you.
Speaker 2: Also are on Totally Wild. We were on Totally Wild. How did you manage both music and obviously journalism.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it was always a massive dream of mine to be on Totally Wild. That was like the dream job when I was a kid growing up, because I absolutely door animal was probably an unhealthy obsession with animals, but yeah, growing up on a farm, we had lots of pets growing up, but I absolutely loved media and TV and film and all that sort of thing, So combining the two was really the dream job. And I applied when I was in year twelve, and I didn't realize it was a full time job. I thought it was just like, oh, you just do it on the weekends, and I got shortlisted and then ended up realizing it was I was still at school so I couldn't do that, not that I was selected anyway, And then I think I auditioned two or three more times because I just I was like, no, I'm going to do it one day, and I did a film and TV course and did lots and lots of free presenting work in work experience all through UNI and then ended up getting the job out of I think it was about six hundred girls. The producer said so. And then the next week I was moved up to Brisbane and started up there. So that was a massive Yeah, that was a big part of my life that I was super proud of, but also came to a bit of a crossroads because we'd just been booked a tour of China and also Germany, so I obviously couldn't do both. But they were really good with me and let me go away for those trips. But in the end I sort of had to make that choice. But I had an amazing time with the crew at Channel ten and they were really lucky. I was really lucky sorry, to be able to come back as a freelancer back in Adelaide between tours and met lots of friends there as well, So it was really really good experience. And yeah, it was tough though, definitely on the band that time, because yeah, it was two amazing opportunities and I sort of had to choose which one to do. But yeah, I was lucky enough to keep going with the presenting and yeah and still doing music.
Speaker 2: So yeah, and talking about your bandmates, I can understand being you know, even just working on this podcast with Sophie and Kate, we have the odd argument, Yeah, what is it actually like writing a song.
Speaker 1: With your Well, Georgia has always been she's extremely talented, has always been the songwriter in the group, and she is really really skilled at that sort of thing, and we all sort of bring our own sort of vibe to it. But in the last couple of years we've probably had a bit more input with it, especially recently. That was sort of the aim for this year to do a lot more songwriting together. So I think, I think it's such a personal thing, and you've been really vulnerable when you're writing songs because it can be anything from a relationship or something you've experienced or seen firsthand, and bringing that to your sisters, Like, we're all very we all get along super well, but we also have our own private like things going on as well, So opening up to each other sometimes can be a bit scared. I don't know if you guys are the same, would you say or maybe.
Speaker 2: Think, Yeah, sometimes there's parts of your life that you do want to keep separate and private, perhaps with relationships.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you luck you guys are so different though, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so we've all I think we've all got different and so it's quite a vulnerable thing. So it's sort of scary coming to the grief and being like, oh, I wrote this song and then we're like, oh, is that about someone?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 1: But yeah, recently we've just sort of had to nip that in the button. Yeah, just you know, and it's and as you get older, I think you become less scared about that stuff, and the more you keep doing things, it's not as scary, like it's always scary the first time. But yeah, we have had a few arguments, but we like you guys would be the same. Like I think there's no better team than working with your family sometimes because you do go off the charts, like probably yelling or whatever, but then you'll like, now a lady, you'll probably say sorry, or you'll just move on and be like, oh, what's for dinner? Like you know what I mean. So, especially when we've been touring on the road for up to a couple of weeks and even months, like sharing beds and not having any privacy, you just sort of you just get so used to it and there's no other way than to just get on. So, yeah, how.
Speaker 3: Did the dynamics work there?
Speaker 2: Because I know with three it's kind of hard because two tend to gang up.
Speaker 3: Do you guys have that issroom?
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, I don't know. Like I always feel like I'm like, oh, middle child syndrome because I'm the middle out of the three of us, but we're only like fourteen months apart anyway. But uh, sometimes I think it depends like I don't like to be too early to things, whereas the girls like to be nice and early and prepared, which is actually probably the best way to be. But I get too nervous, Like for instance, where we were doing the Little Mix tour, we had fifteen shows with them, and we were always the girls. We made sure we were at stage at least twenty five minutes thirty minutes beforehand, just to prep and be aware of the space, which is really good. But for me, I get so nervous just standing still. I need to be busy, so I'm like backstage just pacing around and doing exercises and stretches and just thinking about something else because I just don't like being too early. So I think they get annoyed with me with that. But yeah, I think we all have our strengths and weaknesses, but yeah, not too much ganging up, which is good. And we have our Tom manager, Bethany, who's from Canada as well, and she sort of even that out as well. So there's four of us girls in the road, so it's good now.
Speaker 2: And as you touched on before, you guys have recently come off touring with Little Mix and you're also toured with Roan and Keating. Yeah, how did those opportunities come about?
Speaker 1: Yeah? We were super lucky, like but also like through a lot of hard work, and I think we've always said, like, if you put yourself in an opportunity, things can happen. So we Yeah, like we started by traveling overseas. We record our first alb in Ireland with the guy that produced The Cause because they have three sisters and someone's like, you should do that, and that was ended up being amazing. We made so many friendships through that and then ends up going to Germany and then Mom used to always Mum was our manager and she still does a lot of management duties for us now. She's very Chris Jenner, but maybe not as glamorous, but she's still lovely and sweet and makes lots of muffins for all the radio stations and we go through She's she's amazing though, and she's she's been one of probably the best influencers in our lives with just keeping so supportive and she's always been there for us like some parents are like, go off to UNI and get a proper job. But she's like, no, like being a musician. I'm like, Mom, it's so hard. She's like it's okay, and she she's always been so proud and supportive of us so and she used to say, like, the worst someone can say is no, so why she used to just email everyone She's like, Hey, you've got this amazing girl band from Australia. How would you like them on your festival? And this fellow one day was like, oh yeah, sorry, this fella, this guy that's amazing. He's been an amazing support for us. Runs a big festival called the Islawight in the UK, and he he was like, yeah, sure, why not. And then through that he put us in contact over the next couple of years with their little mix and Ronan keating and yeah, through that, it's just sort of built from there. So we're just really really lucky. But yeah, you sort of have to just put yourself in those situations to get noticed, and like, you never know who's in the audience. We Mum used to always say that, even when we were playing to like three people, like a old cub or something like that, you never know who's there. But it's really true, like a lot of the things and a lot of our successes has come from just you know, keep going and keep going. It's always going to be hard, but you're never losing if you're still in the race. Like as soon as you quit, that's when it stops. But yeah, so I think our tour managers always say you never lose if you don't.
Speaker 3: Quit, but that's so true.
Speaker 2: Or you know there's one yes, yeah, yeah, that's it.
Speaker 3: So what was Little Mix?
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, work with it was amazing. It was so surreal, like we've never done a tour of that level before. Roadin Keating was amazing. But we did that in Germany and we did Boys as well in Australia New Zealand and they were such lovely guys and Little Mix were lovely as well. But yeah, it was It was huge because we were playing from anywhere between fifteen thousand to thirty two thousand a night and just the go go go over all was crazy. But yeah, they were really lovely and like, yeah, they obviously it's a lot different to what people think, like everyone was like, oh, you're hanging out and this and that, but because they're the main act. They've got a lot to worry about, so they've got to you know, get all their they call it glam when they get all their hair and makeup done and also do all their voice warm ups and things like that, and they have to prepare for their show as well. So we definitely saw them around and probably more towards the end of the tour when things got a bit more relaxed. But they all had their dogs, which we thought was so cool because in Australia you can't really have dogs inside, but they all had all their cute pooches running around and Perry has this little dog called Hatchie that used to rot around your legs, so that was cool. And then there was another band called Ratsu who were awesome. They were like kind of like a boy hip hop kind of band, so we hung out with them ben they were awesome. So it was just cool, like meeting all these people and even not even the bandmates, but the crew as well, like the people that do the sound and the lighting and the production, and even the caterers, Like we'd have the same caterers each day. We're like, oh, that's for dessert. That was probably our highlight of the tour actually is like we had never tried butoffee pie before, so each day we would just always so excited to get off stage and go eat dessert, which is really sad but it was also cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like you've also got to share your little mixed story about the break up.
Speaker 1: No, no, yeah, for sure, Like I always say, like, it's yeah, like whenever people were embarrassed about things, I'm like, there's always probably gonna be one story that is your most embarrassing, So anything that happens after that it's not as bad. And this was my embarrassing story that I would never live down. But nothing ever I get boried as much about stuff because oh there was two things that happened on that tour. But one was yeah we were at there we Jade who is there? Oh she's one of those singers as all of them are, but she has a nightclub in South Shields and she invited us too. It was like one of the last shows of the tour to the after party and she's like, yeah, you guys are welcome to come. We got a bottle of prosecco at the table and yeah, but like over in the UK, they got at like midnight, so we were all like so tired, We've been up all day and we our show was only at like seven, so but we were like, now we should go. I'll be good networking and it'll be fun and you know why not. So we got there and yeah, like I was, we were sort of just like chilling around and waiting, and I'd had a couple of glasses of per sec. I definitely wasn't drunk or anything, but I was just sort of like just a bit more relaxed than usual probably, and this club was really cool. But I had one of those hidden steps. I don't know if you guys have been, you know when you just trip on something small. Yeah, anyway, I saw the little mixed girls and I'm like goth and say hey and say thanks for having us on the tour and had a chat and then I turn around and I'm holding my glass and I just this little step comes and I just completely face cramped. Like it was like the worst stack you could ever see, and like I just remember it. No one was around, so that's even worse. So you can't, like, you know, when you just want to like laugh with someone and be like how funny. But no one was around. They sort of and they would already like we're about ten meters away, so they were a little bit too far to help me up. And then I think some of the backup dancers came up and they're like, oh, you're okay. And then there's the security guard who was he was like crying with luck. I was so scared of him the whole tour, but he was actually like a big teddy bear. But he came up and he was like bawling with laughing. He's like, there's a step there, and I was like I know, and he's like, but you didn't spill your prosecco, so that's good because it was literally one of those yeah, horrible stacks. And then I just quickly ran back to the booth where we were and I'm like no, But also because I think I'd had a couple of drinks. Yeah, celebrationary drinks. We don't on it every night. Just to put a little disclosure in there, but yeah, I think I wasn't as worried, and then we hit the dance floor off and had a really good night and then we had to laugh about it. The next day we had to have our press photo with the girls and they're like, yeah, we saw you for we hope you were okay. I was like, yes, just my ego.
Speaker 2: You'd almost like them to pretend that they didn't see Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh, well, I feel like they'd think more highly of you the fact that you just got up and cause didn't you.
Speaker 3: Say that then you hit the dance floor.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was just like, what do you know what the amount of things that have happened to me on stage, like when I have kicked because I like to move around if anyone's seen us play before or if you ever do see us, I like to have a bit of a boogie prop a little bit too much. And yeah, I'm very commonly kick the cord out of my bass. So then the sound stops and like the sound's not working. I'm looking at the sound and guy like what's happening? And we're getting meanwhile filmed on these huge TV screens like out towards the crowd, and then I think someone was in the front row and they like, literally did that plug it in? Like it's fallen out, and I was like oops, And so I'm just like dancing back to the cord and plugging it back in. But yeah, and so that was, Yeah, that was another embarrassing moment. At least you've owned them, yeah, completely, well, especially on Totally Wild, that was actually probably one of the best preparing things for what it was next to come in, like my life with the career and stuff, because you're made to do the most silly things and act like a complete full on TV. But the sillier and corner is I remember one of the guys, Seamus, he was one of the other presenters. He's like, the more corneer you are, the funnier is for kids and stuff. So that was always good advice and ever since, like then, I think you just kind of like, oh, just own it and go with it because whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now, not that we're talking about particularly glamorous moments for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I suppose a lot of people would.
Speaker 2: Look at your Instagram and to see all the amazing things you've been doing. Could you talk us through a little bit, I suppose about what the reality of being on a tour in the UK actually is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure, Yeah, it's it definitely is an amazing adventure. But it's not always like I do a lot of Jermaine's Instagram and obviously my own as well, And I absolutely love photography, but so I try and take beautiful photos wherever we are because I'm not I never know when I'll be back there again, so it's more as a bit of a memory as well, not trying to be showing off like, oh, this is where we are today, but I don't know.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, well Instagram's always the highlight, really.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, oh but definitely yeah, sorry, Like behind the scenes for sure, it's definitely like hard. Like we're usually in a like a van for most of them, and we're all crabbed in the back. Sometimes if it's a small car and we've only got a small too, we'll have like drum kits on our laps and things like that.
Speaker 3: So do you fly that all over?
Speaker 1: We usually hire them, but we have all our gear and suitcases as well, so usually it's really annoying. I don't know how you girls would go doing it if you like traveling with lots of because I love traveling lots of outfits and things to wear, but the girls are very streets. That's another thing. The sisters do it like I usually go over with the luggage, but they've probably been proud of me. In the last couple of years, I've bit better. But yeah, just yeah, like the instruments get priority over wait in luggage, so you just have to be very smart traveler else you've got more to carry. So yeah, it's it's definitely it's not as glamorous as what people definitely think. And you know, especially in Germany, there's nothing you were asking if there was a few funny stories, but yeah, a lot of the venue, especially when we first started touring Germany, they usually have accommodation included, and some have been really nice hotels and things, and other times it might be someone's house, which we learned with a few of them. And I remember we one place we stayed at and I think we finished the gig at like eleven o'clock or something, and then they were like, oh, this is the accommodation. It was the attic of their house. And these people collected like these old fashioned dolls in the chasse creep like Chucky movie. And I remember they had just three mattresses on the floor and then they had like these fox skins hanging and I remember I was sleeping on the edge and there was this big animal skin next to me, and I remember like just as we were like going like lying down, I'm like, can I sleep in between you guys? And Clara and George like, oh gosh, ella light, They're like fine, And then the couple started playing piano at like two in the morning because they're like, oh, do you guys want to come jam? Like just as we'd gone to bed, it was like this sort of creeping piano playing and we're like we're okay, Like so, yeah, there's been some funny places and other times like the booked a hotel that's like only got one bed, so Clara and I've had to sleep on the floor. And not that Georgia gets prior toy, but like I think Mom was with us, so we're like, oh, Mum, and Georgia can because she we sort of need Georgia to be fitting well because she's sort of the leader of the group. So Clara and I were like but we were like fun, it's kind of like you you feel like you're back a kid again, Like you feel like you're ten years old having a sleepover. So we feel like it's always a lot of fun, but definitely not just glamorous as well it always seems.
Speaker 2: And you you guys have a huge fan base of young girls all over the world. What is it like to have such influence over them, and is it like something that's really special to you as well?
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's it sort of came a lot of it came from Little Mix, but we've had some people before that as well, and they're so it's so beautiful seeing all these girls come together, and a lot of them, like we didn't realize, weren't actually friends prior. So they all sort of shared this common love of our band and then made these little groups. So I call them the Chippies because we were saying how much we love hot Chips, and then every time we see this hot chip guy, we all send each other a photo because it's like this hot chip man that stands I don't know if you've seen. He looks like he's almost smoking.
Speaker 3: I think I know who you mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we call him mister Chippy. Whenever we see him wherever over the well, like whether it's in Germany or the UK or Australia, we're like, oh, we found mister Chippy. Like it's a weird thing that we all do. But also they they're so sweet and lovely. And we've also got some guys as well, these two twin guys. Actually they're amazing. They go to every single Little Mix show and they came to all of our shows as well, and they give us like little presents and just they're all so sweet. When we were in this ed Sheeran competition to open for him, we got into the grand final and one of the girls came to the show and she brought us this book all filled with beautiful notes and photos from like all the chippies and all the group. Well, so it was so amazing because sometimes I guess like especially with social media or if you're not playing shows, you don't really feel like you have that connection with fans. And we more see them as friends as well, because we all give them hugs and stuff and we see them and it's always just so we were so glad when we see them at shows, because like it can be very unfamiliar over in the UK and a country that we've never been to before, so all like we have been but don't have many friends and things like that. So when we see these guys come to our shows and out to like even our Christmas shows, it's so special for us, and yeah, just seeing them grow and support each other, and they've even started some of their own social channels helping each other out, and like they're all going through teenage issues which we've been through and still probably go through similar kind of things. So I love like helping out with advice and then they give each other advice and have this great support system. So that's probably been one of the most coolest and most probably special things about the group. Like whether we go massive or not or just keep doing what we're doing, I think like, yeah, if anything, we're just so happy and so proud of these girls and yeah, glad that we can be an influence on them as well. And they're like yeah, and it's they're inspiring to us and make us keep going and we're having those tough days as well.
Speaker 3: So is it Did I see it correctly?
Speaker 2: Did one of them get a tattoo of domain on them? That I think I saw it one of your instant stories.
Speaker 1: I was like, wow, that's yeah, Yeah, that's so cool. Yeah, Like I think I know there was one girl that was gonna get one done and I think she did. Yeah she did, Oh Charlie, Yeah, yeah from Germany. Yeah, she's amazing. Yeah she got that done. Yeah that was Yeah. I hope it was all right. I think we've sat on that logo now so I think they're good. I know we've gone through a few different texts.
Speaker 3: On it, sisters.
Speaker 2: At the end of it now, I felt the pressure to keep it that. That's obviously an amazing supporter there. But do you have any fans that have gone a little bit too far? He stood itstalk affairs.
Speaker 1: No, nothing that's made us uncomfortable. There's like, there's one fella in Germany who's called sweat Span and his family, so they were really die hard from the first moment they saw us when we were like you now, Like I think we were nineteen or twenty when we first went to Germany and they came to the show, like not knowing us at all, and this guy decided he's going to be out. Then he's been so amazing, Like over the years, he gets a photo with us at each gig, and then he'll get a T shirt printed with each gig that he's been to, and every time he comes to another gig, he'll add another date to this T shirt or make more T shirts and recently we're in Germany. He all gave us a T shirt of each other because he's like, I always wear a T shirt of you, So here's sorry, this is a really bad accent, but here's.
Speaker 3: A T shirt.
Speaker 1: He's a T shirt of like you guys that you can wear. And he knows that we're vegetarian vegan, especially George's although to a lot, so he makes us these big, beautiful cakes and muffins.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll probably be listening to this as well.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, he's so lovely and they always help us pack up and stuff. So it's cool having these people all over the world that we've met prem MWS and yeah, like we've just been so lucky and a lot of people have been so generous as well, because it's definitely an industry where it's got ups and downs financially and just like the mental strain of it and sometimes not always staying at hotels can be hard. So we've got a lot of places that sorry, some lovely people that have helped us out with accommodation or let us stay in their homes and things like that to give us more of that home family vibe. So there's a beautiful couple in the UK that put us up for a bit as well, and then a guy in Germany and all over the place. So if anyone's listening, thank you for that. So yeah, it's been great that home noiy from home kind of thing.
Speaker 2: We're talking about the fans. We do have some questions, Yeah, the fans that they've sent in, So I think we'll probably get to them because obviously they want these answered. Sure, So one lovely fan wrote, what's your advice to keeping anxiety onto control?
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure. I'm a huge suffer of anxiety. I think I've been since a young child. Like I used to hate performing and would always cry before going on stage when I was a kid, which is quite strange that I'm doing this now. I ever would have thought that. But when TV, Yeah, I know it's so weird. I think I always wanted to but I was just so shy and stage fright. There's a video of me crying in a cloud costume with a cloud makeup on, like I was like happy the cloud, like writing off stage at ten years old. But yeah, I think like over the years it's and it's something that everyone goes through. But it's just about handling it, and I've just learned it's about how you sort of control the situation yourself. Like sometimes things are so out of your control you can't do anything about it. But the best thing you can do is sort of just think about things that you can control and think about the emotions that you can control. But yeah, like for me on tour, I get extremely lonely. Like a lot of people, see, you're so busy and you're always around people, but sometimes you get home and you have no one to call, and if you're not in a relationship, you don't have that special person to you know, just have a chat to which I absolutely love people how my day ors and things. But if you don't have that, you can become extremely lonely. But I think it's just sort of making you enough and thinking of things that make you happy. So yeah, I think, and just doing things that distract you. Like for me, i'd go for a walk or like, because I love photography, I'd go out and find something different. To you just really immerse yourself in the different areas that you're out. But yeah, I think, Yeah, anxiety is a hard one because it's a different case. It's different for everybody. But I think just taking big breaths and just thinking what you can control, think of the good things in your life, how happy and how lucky you are, just to be alive and just to be able to do what you do. And then also helping other people, maybe talking to someone else that has anxiety, because I think when you realize the more people that have it, you can share your stories. You realize you're not alone and everyone's got their problems. Like I remember reading something, if everyone through their problems in a pile and saw everyone else, they'd probably take theirs back because yeah, they you know, each to their own. So yeah, that's probably my best advice.
Speaker 2: And it's a hard one, isn't it though, because I feel like so many people have anxiety or go through anxious thoughts. Because even I'm always one of those people who second guess everything I say, and when you've got your sisters around.
Speaker 3: You can be like, we was that all right that I said that?
Speaker 2: So I feel like everyone, knowing that so many people go through it has to be some.
Speaker 3: Kind of thought base. I suppose to tell.
Speaker 2: A lot of people want to know when you're going to be back touring in Scotland, and also when you're coming to Switzerland.
Speaker 1: Oh that's nice. Yeah, as soon as we can. I think we definitely have a little headline show again at the end of the year in Scotland. We had a good year last year, so we'll be back there again, which is going to give it a bit of time as well for some new music and things, and same with Switzerland. I think we'll be back doing the Coolest Shoulder again, so I look forward to seeing everyone there.
Speaker 2: This is a bit of a controversial question. Who's your favorite sister? I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it's so hard because I love both of them equally but in different ways. Clara is amazing. She's the oldest, not very much, but she's sort of the mediator and the calm one. I'll have to ask you guys this question too, because I want to know what the dynamics are and you guys. But yeah, Clara's sort of the mediator and the calm one of the group, and she's sort of if George and I have creative differences, she usually thoughts of like, Okay, so you're thinking this and you're thinking that, so why don't we do this? So she's really good. But then Georgia is just so ridiculously talented. I've never sort of met anyone. And I don't know if it's biased because she's my sister, but just the way she can play music without like reading music and just pick things up and just play things. You just ask her to play a song, she can do that, and the songs she writes so clever and beautiful, so which is one of the reasons why I think I've stayed doing music, because it's so amazing working with her and just being part of it all, and it's quite special doing that. As sisters, She's gonna let things are hilarious because I would never say this to her face. Oh like I would. I would, but she'd also be like, he I've got this on tape now when we're having fights. But yeah, so she's Yeah, she's great, and she's she works really really hard. So yeah, I love I think I love both of them. And I've got another sister, Beth as well, who was older, who hates I love Beth.
Speaker 2: If you're live, I didn't know you had another.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was blowing my mud.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've got us. There's six of us in the family. So got Beth and Sam and then but she's got two beautiful children, and yeah, I lived out on a farm in South Australia with her lovely husband, so yeah, but she's amazing as well, and Sam too, and then Charlie. So it's a big group of us.
Speaker 3: So you love them all I love yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well actually, who do you love more than your sisters or Pasimo?
Speaker 3: Your oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: So we've had a few, yeah, a few people asking this isn't just for me personally, because I also want to know about pismo. But Ella has an amazing would you call it a pet or a rescue possem?
Speaker 1: So it's a rescue cost them from Fauna Rescue. So when we had the Loverthaw bush fires, I think it was she was blown out of her mother's pouch and they couldn't find the mother and she was still too young to be released, so I think she was she needed like her four feeds a day. And when I was actually doing totally wild, I did a story with Bev Langley from Minton Farm who has a whole bunch of possums, and she gave me a couple of rescues and I read them and then really send back into the wild because where I live up in the hills, where my parents live, it's a great possum releasing place. So she called me up when they recently had one boardy and it was only one. So yeah, I've been looking after her the last few months and she's so cute, she's I've probably spoilt her a little bit, but I just, yeah, I'm starting to get her back into it's cooled in I think it's called in Richmond, where they sort of learn different skills they would in the wild. So I put trees around like the curtains. This is I feel like I'm going down a few cool points, but it's cool. Yeah, but yeah, she's she's awesome. Yeah, I just I was just fed her some milk before I left. So yeah, she's really sweet and cute. But yeah, she will have to go back out because it's only fair for her to be back in the wild. But yeah, I'm just trying to get her prepped at the moment. So we're in pre season for the while, and I'll be going back overseas on two soon too, so she will need to But I think mums. I've been training mum how to look after it too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but she needs another mother she can always.
Speaker 1: Yes, no, she's really cute. We also have five rescue Joey's as well from Fauna Rescue. They're a bit bigger now too though, so my sister Georgia looks after them. So yeah, got a got a good connection with Fauna Rescue. And we've just done our bush fire benefit, which you guys are out, which was so cool to see and be out to announce how much we raised soon but a lot of that money will be going to Foreigner Rescue on the CFS.
Speaker 2: So yeah, And it was a little bit awkward when we did see some of the A f l.
Speaker 1: W after that podcast.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I know I felt like.
Speaker 1: Did you come with a conclusion with what you guys both prefer? No.
Speaker 2: Our conclusion was I love the A f l W. I just I just don't think it should be called a f l M. That was my only But you know what if.
Speaker 1: Because I couldn't tell you guys have a voice, I wasn't sure which one of you was the foreign against.
Speaker 2: Kate was Kate was four, and so I seem to be against So when we listened to it against just against a changing the name. Yeah, yeah, they were so cool. I wanted Aaron Phillips's shoes.
Speaker 1: She's the best. They're the most awesome chicks we've been. They've been so supportive of our band over the last couple of years and come to our shows and we'll come to the games and yeah, it's so cool seeing these girls out there doing yeah, like the female footing.
Speaker 3: And you played female football too.
Speaker 1: I did play a couple of season. I actually flew back from Ronan keating our last show with Rodan in Germany a few years ago because it was our first year in the Sorry that was my fault. It was our first year at the Mount Lofty Devils in the Adelaide Hills and we got into the grand final and I was super jet lag. We ended up losing by a point, which sucked, but like it was, I was so into it. I remember like having my footy shorts with me overseas and I'd wear them to bed and I was all prepped. So yeah, I think it's so cool and it's so awesome seeing so many girls out there, yeah, killing it at sport and music and everything else as well a lot of female leaders and you guys as well, I think are so inspiring. To Like us girls were listening to you overseas when we were on the road and we just thought you were so hilarious and it's just and like just so cool as well, like in all the stories you guys do and the people you talk to, I think.
Speaker 3: Is so senior. Fifty dollars in the post.
Speaker 1: It's dead set true though, and I think it's so inspiring, so you guys going out and you know, inspiring other women to start their own businesses and all that sort of thing as well. So yeah, I'm a bit of a fan girl. I was very nervous to do this one today.
Speaker 3: Ella's our second biggest band other than our mum.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, oh no, I love it in the show of the show, Oh no. Just in general, I'm saving up for the Steppa machine at the gym because it's never fun, but you got your podcast makes it fun, so I will listen to that the gym later on.
Speaker 2: Talking before kind of about the gender debate and equality, Yeah, do you think that there are some challenges you guys face being young females that maybe male performers don't face in Europe or.
Speaker 1: Australbe Sometimes I feel like it's almost been working. It's been really good for us. I think there's no better time at the moment to be a female in yeah, in music, but just in anything. I think something we always were really adamant about with our music and just in general with ourselves was we don't want to be just good for a girl. We want to be good, which was actually a theme of a song that we're writing. But we don't we I think like a lot of people like, oh, you girls are good at guitar for girls, like kind of thing and George used together and she's an amazing guitarist. And I remember an old boyfriend of mine was like, you don't want to be walking in place and being like, oh, yeah, they're all right because they're chicks, like that sounds decent. They want to just say, wow, these girls are really really good. And that was something that always stuck with me that he said. So I think that's been something that we've tried to We think it's very important that everyone is equal, and like, you know, no matter what it is with nominations with awards or festival bills or anything, I think it's always good to have the best people. And you know, it's great to have a lot of diversity as well, like having girls and guys, all girl bands or just boy bands. Like I think it's so important to have lots of diversity, but also have especially for things just as yourself, just to be the best you can, no matter what your gender is or your preferences or anything like that, because I think that's sometimes we never want to be like playing the female card on anything. We want people to hear our music and it could be a guy thing em though it was clearly very much a girl but we just want to be on an equal playing fields. But it's been amazing and there's a lot of great support systems out there for women. I was at a women's breakfast for music recently in Adelaide, and it was so cool seeing all the support and the women coming together. Can I think you guys have addressed it too. It's about bringing girls up then you know, beating them down or trying to compete against them, because we're all in it together and we're all feeling the same thing. So I think it's really important like supporting each other's each girls as well, but also not defaming men either, because there's a lot of great men out there as well that have been supportive of us too, So I wouldn't be fair for us to be like, screw the boys, because you know, we've had both help, amazing help from both girls and boys.
Speaker 3: So it's so.
Speaker 2: Good as well that you guys have that mentality because I think that's so good for young women who listen to your music and love you.
Speaker 3: Guys to hear.
Speaker 2: And it's crazy because it's funny when you're saying all of those points. It made me really think because I never think, oh, they're just on the festival because they're a girl group. But I suppose one of those politics do come into choosing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like, we we didn't ever want to just be selected because we're a girl band. Like obviously it's great to have as many girls on the bill as possible because there's not that much representation of in some areas. But we also didn't want to just be there because we were girls. We wanted to be there because we were good enough to be there and worked hard enough and deserve to be there as well.
Speaker 4: So yeah, And something that Taylor Swift Queen Amazing Yeah, she touched on last year was the fact that as she approached thirty, she felt like she was getting asked a lot of questions that male artists perhaps wouldn't get.
Speaker 1: For sure, you think.
Speaker 2: That's something that happens with you guys. Obviously you're in your twenties at the moment, but you feel that a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely. I think we get a lot. We get asked our age a lot, which is fine, but I've never heard a boy band get us their age. A lot of people ask about when you guys going to stop and start thinking about having children, which I was like, well, can't you do both? You know what I mean? Like it's I was like, I don't know what I'd look like with a pregnant pregnant base player, but with my I've got a little hoffner now, so I can just put that on top of it if that ended up happening.
Speaker 2: But no, like your partner can stay at home and look after your baby as well.
Speaker 1: Well, it works, And I've seen so many amazing couples on the road do it, like you know, like Ronan and his wife and she's she had a little baby while he was on tour, and you know, obviously she wasn't playing, but you know, you can if you've got a supportive partner and like a supportive group around you. You can do it. It's obviously going to be hard, but I think like there's a lot of stereotypes of what and like people like to sort of tell you what you can and can't do, and when you're doing something a little different, there are those times and people like to sort of tell you, oh, no, you can't do that, There's no way you can do that. When when's this expiry day? Which is something that's always sort of gotten under my skin a bit because I'm like, well, why can't I do both? And why can't I do media? And why can't I do music? And why can't I do art? But also have a posim at home and also like to you know, travel and do different things as well. So I think it's just it's good this day and age we live in. And I'm very very fortunate and lucky, and I'm well aware of that as well, that I've been lucky enough to be able to live lifestyle. But and it wouldn't it wouldn't be as easy for maybe someone else. But yeah, I think you've just got to have that mentality that you can do anything you want. You just figure out different ways to make your work and be creative with it.
Speaker 2: That's so true though that men do never get us, Like can you imagine if Harry if they asked Harry styles. Okay, Harry, so when are you having a kid and when is your As a result of having.
Speaker 1: Got a chairman man, that's like, first you told me that I shouldn't be eating the cake that Spend bought us because he's like, you need to watch your figure as a woman, and I was just like, watch me eat this cake. No, he was just joking around, but I think they sort of there's sometimes that mentality with a few people. And then he was also like, oh, you know, like you're getting older, like your eggs are going to start trying up. And I was like, and you, like, I think saying that to a girl is quite is quite rude. And it's also like it's like, who you just say that to me about like my you know, what's going on inside? Like you know, I just I think that's quite a sensitive issue. And that's something in the last couple of years, as I've gotten into my later twenties that people have sort of brought up about like doing a travel thing. But I think you just got to brush it off, and I've learned to deal with that and just you know, not worry about what other people think and just do my own thing for now, so.
Speaker 2: That you're sharing it too, because I'm sure a lot of people go through similar things, even in a different career paths where there's a lot of judgment questions.
Speaker 3: So mad that people can ask that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: I mean because we we had our mom on the podcast for weeks talking about I love that episode.
Speaker 1: I heard that that was the definite listen to them.
Speaker 2: Actually, oh she was so cute, but you know you talking about all the private questions people asked her. And I feel like people think they can ask women anything, like even being triplets, remember because people asked us if we.
Speaker 3: Got our period at the same time.
Speaker 1: I think we've asked that as the girls as well, like if we're all grumpy that like obviously, like but yeah, like the girls, Gewdre and Claire are very good and they just brush it off as well, like I sometimes might have a little hard cut back.
Speaker 2: It's that casual sexism though. Yeah, it's everywhere.
Speaker 1: It is, and you kind of just like sometimes you just gotta like, yeah, cool, good on you. But then other times like there's and I'm so defensive of like if anyone says anything rudy to the girls or about us as a group, and even like if they say something to me, I'm quick to defense so quickly because yeah, you just got to have each other's back, so that sort of thing. And yeah, and I like sometimes you get people from different you know, like they might have been brought up differently, and some people can't help what you know they've been brought up with or what sort of morals they have been taught. But I think, yeah, like I always try and be accepting from their eyes, but also like you know, just sort of in a polite way, just you know, oh yeah maybe this and that or just brush it off kind of thing. But each to their own how they want to handle those kind of things. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, just lastly to wrap this podcast, yes only because we want to get into our next part. Hopefully you've got time to do if everyone's listening. It's going to be all about answering some dating questions, which I'm so excited to do.
Speaker 1: I have no idea if I'm any good at it.
Speaker 3: No, I feel like.
Speaker 2: You're going to be amazing, so The last question is I suppose what can we expect from the Germains in twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so at the moment, we're writing lots of songs. There's going to be a lot more songs about things that we're passionate about. We've always wrote about what we're passion about. I think this year as well as we've changed as well as people in the group, So new songs, I think, We've got more things happening overseas. We're still in our UK work visa, so we will be heading back over there. So touch good with everything with coronavirus and things like that's definitely put a bit of a spanner in the works, but it's all right. We've just go down. Like I said, you just be creative and find a different pathway and then but yeah, we will be heading back there for some tours and lots of festivals over some mysel If there's any UK or European people listening, yeah, I'd love to see. So make sure you head to Jermaine Sisters dot com or follow us on Instagram at Jermaine's Sisters, and yeah, listen to us on Spotify. Spotify streams are very good. It's good for supporting artists as well, and hopefully see you guys there.
Speaker 2: I feel like our listeners also need to check out your art page because you're incredibly talented. SU four images of wildlife, a.
Speaker 1: Lot of portraits, yeah, and one. I think one week I had like four dash hoound commissions the sausage drugs, but they were cute.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would be so when she gets her sausage been talking about. Thank you so much again, thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: It was really nice.