Speaker 1: Christ Yeah, welcome friends to the Christian O'Connell's show podcast.
Speaker 2: We heard from one of you called Robert, who had an unusual elbow injury and it meant that on the side effects after we were recovery was when he was driving he couldn't turn left. So on the show today, what can't you do? Parhats you love this?
Speaker 3: Just now? Old mate?
Speaker 2: Jackie goes to me, don't come to me here because there's nothing I can't do.
Speaker 3: I'm pretty sure I could have a company off the top of the heads.
Speaker 4: I have thought. I've thought of one.
Speaker 3: How you found a weakness? Superman? What is it?
Speaker 4: I must have tucked it away in a room, never to print it again. Yes, for press memory from high school, I could never and still can't jump off one foot when you played basketball and volleyball, It's very handy for your vertical leap to jump off one foot, but I could never coordinate it, so I'd have to jump off two feet. And when I tried to jump off one foot, I would hardly get off the ground.
Speaker 5: How bizarre.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And when I got taller, people ask like, can you dunk? It's like not even closer. Can hardly touch the bottom of the.
Speaker 3: Net is what every one asked A tall person like you, isn't it? But you get at basketball U.
Speaker 2: Some of them wasn't came through on socials when we put it on yesterday from and I'm right hand dominant. Can't brush my teeth with my right hand, Christian. I can't dive when I go swimming, I have to jump in feet first, and I'm an adult.
Speaker 3: That's wrong, Warwick. What can't you do? Trina?
Speaker 6: I can't lift my left eyebrow, so when I go to lift my eyebrows, only my right one goes up.
Speaker 3: So you can't look quizzical.
Speaker 6: No, but I look I look like a comic book villain. So anytime I'm surprised, they look like some weird comic book villain, or like I don't trust people or something. So it was great when the kids were little because they told me a story and their faces go up and they just consists whatever they're lying about, and they look like I'm dressed up.
Speaker 2: So so what has when when you someone tells you something amazing and the rest of us would would go wow, and both eyebrows would go up.
Speaker 3: What you would just have.
Speaker 6: One, just the right one goes up and it looks like I'm just evil.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, Trina, thank you very much. You cool, Janet. What can't you do?
Speaker 7: Certain words I can't say, which is some sort of contradictory because I work in education.
Speaker 3: So what words can't you say?
Speaker 7: I can't say balloon?
Speaker 2: You cannot laugh at us? People that cannot say certain words?
Speaker 7: Okay, and sir speific? I can't you know, if something spot on and it's special suspecific. I can't say.
Speaker 5: That a disabled person look at me.
Speaker 7: By children, but.
Speaker 2: She's a grown up, so you think maybe a little bit of compassion, but not in there.
Speaker 3: There's quite a I get you.
Speaker 7: And one more I can't say grows, you know, if something's grown growing on you like it to grow us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, don't say those words.
Speaker 2: You can just you know, just just never bring it up, change the lesson plan around it.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 7: I do totally trust me.
Speaker 1: Balloon?
Speaker 3: How often is balloon going to come up? Anyway? You go? Look at those lovely things?
Speaker 7: Oh place the children in one who don't need to know what the balloon is?
Speaker 4: I think they do actually coming out of school now they go, what's this? I've literally never seen that before. It's because January is your teacher.
Speaker 7: But you know, my biggest bud be when people can't say words properly, like in class right sometimes to teach you got lady, I know, but someone Sometimes they say like, who's going to contribute to the lesson? And I'm thinking in my head, no, it's not contribute, it's what is it.
Speaker 4: I think you need to But well, I'm just going to say empathy to the students, especially because you can't even say the words. I was going to say. You need some personal grower.
Speaker 3: Don't exactly more one for the road, Gary, What can't you do?
Speaker 8: I used to be a baker, pastry cook, and for the love of God, I couldn't rowl a Swiss roll. It'll break on me.
Speaker 3: One oh one. That's like, you know, basic white belt level.
Speaker 8: You think it's really sick. I haven't started watching TV shows like The Bake Boss or something like that.
Speaker 1: Swiss Roll Episodetorial, the Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 3: Jackie boy, you have a question for me and Pats and everyone listening.
Speaker 4: I want you to settle an argument between Bianca and I yesterday that I can't imagine you even siding with her, but I'll give you all the d details and you tell me we.
Speaker 3: Certainly set up independently and impartially. You should be a judge.
Speaker 4: I'm not trying to leave the wis.
Speaker 3: I can't imagine you're settling with that. Oh, she's already going to get a fair trial. This it'll be good the Court of Jack.
Speaker 4: I sit down for lunch and I'm in the same suburbans banker's work. So I text her and go, I just sat down, if you want to meet for lunch? And she replies coming with an exclamation mark. So I interpret that to me She's less than ten minutes away. I'll see you within the next ten minutes. What Biancer interprets that to me after she arrives forty five minutes later, is coming? Just man? Oh, I had some work to finish up, but I was intending to come once the work was done.
Speaker 3: Coming is a short term word, isn't it. I'm coming. I'll be there in a minute.
Speaker 4: Tell me if you see If you replied nothing else with coming, I assume you're leaving right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, especially with implies immediate.
Speaker 5: Motions to do this with the love God, I am guilty of that. Coming means I'll do five things before I actually, yeah, no.
Speaker 2: No, my wife does this. I think it's it's started to I'll just get these little things done. It's like my wife, I say, is a time optimist, right, shall aways go? I just quickly, I went. Nothing ever just takes two minutes. Nothing, no task does.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Bianki's idea of time management is if we've got an event at two o'clock, something to get to at two o'clock. If we leave the house anytime before two pm, that's her on time, even if it's if it's ten minutes away. If it's fifty minutes away, oh, we left it.
Speaker 2: I get so anxious before we go out to dinner because it'll be like twenty minutes beforehand. I went, so I'm the order in the uber in a minute. Oh, I just go and get changed. I'm like, god, God, damn it, it's happening again. It's so anxious.
Speaker 3: I have to ring the restaurant and go. Perhaps she's just getting changed. She got to move it back off now.
Speaker 5: At least I have absolutely no defense because I am guilty. I will put my hand up. I'm exactly optimous. Chris is I have no time management.
Speaker 4: I would have at least taken an apology for her to go.
Speaker 3: You know, when you're sitting here, don't even sit down, don't you? Who are you right now?
Speaker 4: When you're sitting in a taco place by yourself for forty five minutes twiddling your thumb.
Speaker 5: To do jack?
Speaker 4: What else was on in the afternoon? I just would have.
Speaker 3: I would if she conceded, there's no way you were twiddling your thumbs. You would have been on the grams or whatever. You would have been doing stuff. I know you'd have been scrolling your phone.
Speaker 4: I was sitting there contemplating, where is my wife?
Speaker 3: What's happened to marriage?
Speaker 2: Did you send any clarification messages? Like do you want me to order for you?
Speaker 4: Because you know what I get Sometimes when I get in these like stashes with Bianca, I'm like, I'm going to wait and see how long it takes.
Speaker 3: Now though, with like booby traps and so.
Speaker 4: That my argument is stronger. So then I actually hope when it gets like thirty minutes, I'm like, yeah, keep it going, because the more time you're stuck on top of it, the stronger my case.
Speaker 3: I'll ask you, does that bring you happiness? In the long run be the better person. So I will offer now to order for her.
Speaker 2: That way, if there's food coming, there's more that she's more likely to get there on time. Otherwise, that coming thing is a very elastic concept with my wife.
Speaker 4: No, that didn't even occur to me.
Speaker 3: And have you had that written apology yet? This is unbelievable.
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell show podcast, we.
Speaker 2: Were talking about the good room. You remember the good room. Everyone had the good room when you were growing up. And then we got into thinking about house rules, because that actually feels like growing up there were more stricter house rules than certainly we have in our own house. It's as a kid, we always had to have our meals at the dinner table, and it was always like you, you don't leave the dinner table until the last person. Do you remember that if you ever went I'm going now to play my mates, We'll sit down, young man until the last us and to finished eating. So if you had an only relative round, it was like.
Speaker 3: I can talk out of their dad.
Speaker 2: He's playing with the other guys and it's taking trooling a dinner.
Speaker 7: Dack.
Speaker 4: Come on. I also had this if I had something I didn't want to eat like steam cabbage or something. You had to sit at the dinner table until.
Speaker 3: Everything on your plate was that stressed me.
Speaker 4: Some nights I would just sit there. The rest of my family went and watch suddenly something joy and I was just sitting at the table kicking my legs until we.
Speaker 3: Hate that about the house rules.
Speaker 2: Now, I honestly, my wife and I we we eat, we are just plates on the laps in front of the TV. And it still feels like both of us who both our parents were they strictly enforcing well eat emails at the dinner table.
Speaker 3: Why we don't know. It feels like it's such.
Speaker 4: A thrill, it's such a gift. I love it, you really.
Speaker 2: Yesterday we have breakfast together and we're like, can we just can we who's going to tell?
Speaker 3: Can my dad find out?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 3: Fifty pats, did you have any house rules growing up?
Speaker 5: Yeah, we couldn't have dessert if we didn't eat all of our main meal and all the veggies like nothing, no ice cream and topping. No way you have your veggies or that's it.
Speaker 4: We even used to get threatened with this. It never happened, but my dad said it happened when he was a kid, that if you don't eat all your food at dinner time, it gets served to you at breakfast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Christmas, and that was a real scary threat before school, sprouse. Did you guys also find that a lot of house rules were quite flexible with certain younger brothers or sisters, Like I had certain households which.
Speaker 3: Are very very strict, and.
Speaker 2: That my younger sister, for some reason, some of those rules didn't apply to her.
Speaker 4: I was the oldest as well, you clear the path when you're the oldest.
Speaker 3: I argue about it now, how she got favorite treatment.
Speaker 4: Well, see I was.
Speaker 5: The youngest, so would have been spoiled, and then it creates.
Speaker 4: Spoiled children, creates.
Speaker 3: Davas Patrina proud of it. Now we have to pay the price. Thank you, thank you for this, Christian.
Speaker 2: We had a house for all that thirteen evening had to put my phone on charge on the bench. I wasn't allowed to have it in my bedroom where I slept. I'm guessing that the bedroom was where you slept, Mekayla. But thanks to clarifying that, I all went out the window. When my brother grew up, he was allowed to start playing games until after eleven o'clock. See Mekato, I get it. The other one we had was all drinks must be on coasters.
Speaker 5: Yes, dare on bed and on the lino, never on the carpet.
Speaker 3: That is a word from chargo the lino? Is that word?
Speaker 2: Evening?
Speaker 3: You says? These days?
Speaker 2: When's it ever trending on social media? Let's get it trending today, lino. The other one was no ball games, ball games inside the house because you would have done a ball game at some point and broken a window. Then that rule gets put in there.
Speaker 4: Well, I had my dad negotiate those for us. One exemption and that was we were allowed to use the soft Mecca's footy, the plush footy on rainy days because he didn't want to. He hated the idea of thinking how hand eye coordination wasn't improving.
Speaker 3: And also when when the house has got land lines, we weren't allowed it about you, Patsy, but no no landline calls after eight pm?
Speaker 5: Oh ours was like after six no phones after six? Yeah, it was rude to call anyone after six even?
Speaker 2: Yeah it what was strange? You remember your parents would get irritated. The phone went about haul six.
Speaker 3: Who can that? You always think it was bad news. Yes, you better get it. It could be bad news. It was always some relative. It was on the border line of life or death.
Speaker 1: Christian Connell's show podcast.
Speaker 3: Just dropped what I would say is a stone cold killer.
Speaker 2: Fact to do with bread and one of the world's greatest human beings.
Speaker 4: The great David at Attenborough is older than the invention of slashed bread.
Speaker 3: Then we see that is a great killer fact.
Speaker 4: How so made to nineteen twenty six David Attenborough was born. Then in June nineteen twenty eight, Otto Raalveda invented the automatic bread slicing machine.
Speaker 2: Wow, all right, we're looking for your killer facts. Have you got a great fact? Not an okay one, a killer fact? If so, we're looking for them, for the good ish ones. All right, Jack, you let me know whether it's a killer or this is from Benjamin killer fat humans have stripes. There are seven different types, and we can only see them under black light. Cats can see them all the time.
Speaker 4: If true, kill a fact hard to believe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the distance between your elbow and your wris Yeah, all right, let's go to Nick here.
Speaker 3: Now, Nick, whatur'se you kill a fact for us, kill a fact?
Speaker 9: These every mile goes taller than their mum.
Speaker 2: Why aren't we breeding giants? If this trend continues, why aren't we mega humanoids?
Speaker 4: I think over time humans are getting taller and taller.
Speaker 3: So we start off as little, tiny people.
Speaker 4: Back in the day we were smaller. That's why doors used to be smaller.
Speaker 3: Oh, come on, that is not a kidd of fat.
Speaker 4: Actually, I'm not sure if that's I've.
Speaker 2: Never been to like or seen a movie set years ago where there's tiny crawling through a tiny don't.
Speaker 4: Like if you, especially in England, if you go.
Speaker 3: To an old castle roaming with tiny doors. They got the biggest doors. Castles have no but like carriages going through them.
Speaker 4: The entry ways are huge. But then your little doors in between each don't you have to duck under them?
Speaker 3: Nick? We love your kid of fact though. You guys are the most bless you, Grace.
Speaker 1: How old are you ten?
Speaker 3: You've got to kill a fact for sevia?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 3: What is it great?
Speaker 10: Don't they have gas from their mouth?
Speaker 4: Again?
Speaker 3: What does it with a sloth?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Sooths?
Speaker 10: Don't they make gas from their mouths?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 4: So they pretty much they fight out of their mouths.
Speaker 3: Yes, technically, yes, right, technically, And how do you know this?
Speaker 10: We did an information report and they said that we could do an animal, and I said that I wanted to do a swath.
Speaker 3: Why did you put the sloth? You just like them?
Speaker 10: I just love them. If you go into my room, all you'll see is swoth.
Speaker 2: All right, you've got a sloth thinged bedroom? Yes, Now, what's an information report? Is that like a sort of school report?
Speaker 10: Sometimes it is. It's why you share your learning and your knowledge to your parents, and you just talk about how animals adapt from their habitat.
Speaker 2: Oh, that sounds interesting. Can you remember anything else that was interesting about sloths that you can share with everyone listening right now?
Speaker 10: Grace, fos actually human speak. But they're just really tired. But they can swim as fast as any animal in the water.
Speaker 3: This work is two.
Speaker 2: That is a great one, Grace. I love both of them, really great. Just going to rees here has got a killer fact as well. What have you got for us, mate?
Speaker 3: Oh? Okay, here we go.
Speaker 2: Japan is the only country in the world where two of its largest cities on population are an anagram of each other.
Speaker 3: They got Tokyo, Yep and kyoto yo.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 4: Love it.
Speaker 3: That is a great one. Saw a good question. You're getting a pub.
Speaker 1: Quiz the Christian O'Connell Show podcast today.
Speaker 2: We're looking for your killer facts, not just good facts, but killer facts.
Speaker 3: If you've got one, you can call the show today.
Speaker 2: You can also email me Christian at Christian O'Connell dot com dot au. Christian, I've got to kill a fat for you and Jack. Australia is wider than the moon.
Speaker 4: Oh, that's great, j.
Speaker 2: Jack's right about tiny doorways. People used to be much shorter. That's from Alison.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure about that.
Speaker 2: It's made up, made up, Christian. I'm not sure about that fact about every human male grows to be taller than their mum. I'm fine for four. My mum is five ft seven. I know I've measured. It's as rubbish. That's the hard shell used on Eminem's is made of shellac, which is made from bug feces.
Speaker 3: Wow, I don't believe that to be true. All right, let's go to the lines. We've got Mel on the line.
Speaker 2: Hello, Hello, what can you tell us about Nick's earlier killer fat?
Speaker 3: That human males grow up to be taller than their mum's.
Speaker 9: Well, I've heard that. By rights it is supposed to be true, but my son's shorter than me. I'm five foot nine and my son's five ft six and there's nothing wrong with him. But his father was really short, you know, out in.
Speaker 3: The radio years wrong spoken on your mom? Can I mean, I still love it.
Speaker 9: It's father one sure, and he's only.
Speaker 3: Five two And how old is your poor son?
Speaker 9: Thirty four? He's not poor.
Speaker 11: He's gorgeous.
Speaker 3: Absolutely being a warming up to it now, aren't you?
Speaker 6: I am?
Speaker 9: Yeah, he's lovely, but yeah, no, I'm five ft nine and his father was five ft two and he's kind of worked out in the middle, you know what I mean. So yeah, but it's the fact. It's supposed to be like that, but it's not necessarily.
Speaker 6: So you know what I mean?
Speaker 9: Christian, I always say, make you're the same, hepe when you're lying.
Speaker 2: Down a fact too far? David, welcome to Killerfact Central.
Speaker 3: What have you got for us? David?
Speaker 11: The guys Bacon In nineteen thirties, Australian went to war with the EMUs and lost.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is an amazing story of Australian history, not just that wasn't it too EMU Wars where they went and learned less than the Australian Army knew a bit more about tactics.
Speaker 3: It was a closer fight, but the EMUs one, not once but twice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, David, three or four years ago we went down a deep hole of the war because I remember we found out that they were making a movie. At the time we were speaking about it. It was John Cleees, Jim Jeffries, We're gonna star in the Great EMU War Movie and Moby was going to do the sound for it.
Speaker 3: But David, you're right. It's an incredible story, isn't it. The EMU Wars.
Speaker 11: It's just amazing story. Back in nineteen thirty, so less than one hundred years ago, we couldn't make Emis.
Speaker 2: No, not once but twice. That's a prediful thing. Twice, David. That is a great kill of fat though, renee, kid of fat? What have you got for us?
Speaker 12: That the benefits of coffee beans was discovered by an Israeli goat herder when he noticed that his goats were chewing on the beans and getting kind of rowdy.
Speaker 7: So, yeah, enjoy your coffee.
Speaker 4: Sounds like the goats were hor horny.
Speaker 9: Yeah, well they will just energize.
Speaker 3: Because you can't buy something called horny goat weed.
Speaker 4: What happened twenty years ago?
Speaker 3: That was the thing before viagra. There was horny goat weed. What was it? Was it caffeinated goats?
Speaker 2: That is the same Israeli goat And I didn't discover how you discovered horny goat weed?
Speaker 3: So is that true? The origin of coffee.
Speaker 2: Beans realizing that they can energize someone to think basically energized goats.
Speaker 12: Yeah, well that's what Google says, so I'm going with it.
Speaker 3: Fact. Renie kuld a fact, Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: Christian Connell's show podcast.
Speaker 2: I'm in charge of the kids for the next week or so, have been all week. My my wife is away. I was just hoping to get through at least a week without anything going wrong. It looks like a broken the washing machine, so it's what happened. I was putting a wash on Okain, and you know there are too many settings on.
Speaker 3: Washing machines, aren't there.
Speaker 2: I was putting at the wash on and just before that it was left on the previous setting. This is relevant to what I did next. And it was just that wash was a sixty degree one that I set that up because it was for my daughter's bed sheets, so you know, sixty degrees you got to cleep and clean. Anyway, I went to put on a wash and then about five minutes in, as it's starting to fill up all lesson, I got it's still on that it's going to shrink everything I've just put in there. I then panic and like because sometimes I've got set in where you can stop it and override. And then there's a little thing down about my special light literally like a thing you a rip cordy pool and you open something up and you can drain the water that's started seeing the room. Yeah, yeah, yeah, did all that and then I thought, well does it be okay? Well, now I can just put it on the normal setting. No, it's just making this noise that is angry that I put my hand in the guts of it.
Speaker 3: It's not working.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that jack that was recorded at four point thirty am, because I thought if I just turn it all off and go to bed, it will mend itself during the night, Like the house has someone called a toy story movie going on at night where people come out the floorboards and men. Domestic applian sets the me Now mini engineers come out and do a song and dance time.
Speaker 3: Hills always woke up when we at four p thirty. It was like, please be mended, Please be mended. Oh so I know what? Would I need a plumber?
Speaker 4: No, you need a washing machine needs.
Speaker 5: To come out.
Speaker 2: It is a meala. I think it's a triple zero. No, it's a triple that's an emergency service. It's not calling them. We need education.
Speaker 4: Don't call you an ambulance out for your washing.
Speaker 3: What is your emergency? You having us at this? You tell me? Do you reckon some sort of washing machine? Engineer?
Speaker 2: Would know from the sound what I need to do is flashing two red lights. One says check inlet valve, one says check something else. So I'm not sure what, but anyway, there's two flashing. I sound like the man at Chernobyl. This will be all right if I just go to bed. I'm sure this new clearyactor won't blow up.
Speaker 4: This had never happened with the top load of washing machine. Right next time you upgrade, get a top loader, John, John.
Speaker 3: Can you help me? John?
Speaker 11: You didn't import this from England?
Speaker 8: Did you know washing machine? No, how old is it?
Speaker 3: Oh? It's about two years?
Speaker 11: Is that all? Because it sounds like the bearing on the drum He's.
Speaker 4: Gone in two years? Johnny years the bearing?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Well do you about pump?
Speaker 7: I mean, well you've checked in left out and there?
Speaker 11: Have you opened the bottom right hand side.
Speaker 3: Cover? No, it was bottom left? Was where that little rip cord is? Left? Bottom left? Uness on the one one one your left or John's left radio is right?
Speaker 10: Have you opened that the filter?
Speaker 2: Yep, drained out the water, gave it a little clean put my hand in that, gave it a little clean out, and put it back up and put it all back to how it was.
Speaker 8: Okay, And that where you were recording that noise?
Speaker 9: Did you put the phone up right next to the pump or is it just pro head?
Speaker 3: Of course I did?
Speaker 9: Yeah, okay, because that's very noisy.
Speaker 7: So one thing I could say is if it's not the bearings in the drum, that's your all?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 3: John?
Speaker 2: Are you you're obviously an expert? Are you a washing machine engineer?
Speaker 3: What do you do? John? Yeah?
Speaker 8: Are six appliances like that?
Speaker 3: You qualified?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 8: I am?
Speaker 3: I want to see sergtificates or your qualification where you need to Okay, I want to see your badge, everything you've got a John, Stay there, John.
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell Show podcast