Speaker 1: Do you prefer wraps instead of bread? If you or your family prefers a rap for lunch, you will have noticed that there are more and more varieties popping up. There's low carb, there's keto, mixed brain, there's minis for the kids, high fiber. So we are pretty big raps fans today, Leanna and I, So we're going to share our thoughts on some of the most popular wraps that you can find in supermarkets. Hi, I'm Czyburrel and Amlea Wood, and as two of ustrates leading dieticians, we bring you the Nutrition Couch Product Review, a weekly chat on new products and old favorites that you can find in supermarkets. So Leanne I do buy wraps, and the way that I use them is as a quick breakfast on the co So sometimes I find that I have to leave really early with my boys. They are not rap eat it's actually they're much more into just normal bread. But if I know I've got an early start, I might grab a coffee and I pack like a mini rap and I just sort of stick some meat or cheese and a bit of salad on it, and I just find it's sort of an easy way to have almost a balanced breakfast that I can make the night before, and I find the rap for better or for worst, do last quite a long time. So if I buy a packet, it might last me a couple of weeks if I store it correctly, and my clients love them. You know, I've got really big rap fans out there. In general, I think there's a perception that they're healthier because they're thinner, which, like anything, is not always the case, which is why we're going to take a closer look at them today. But are you routinely buying wraps on your grocery shop each week?
Speaker 2: I'm not a rap like is in a lunch wrap sort of like chicken salad rap kind of person. No, I'm not. My clients definitely love wraps like yours. They're busy, they're you know, the time poor. Where we use wraps is more like if we have tacos, so we like the soft tacos and we might do like the I guess you just call them soft tacos right where you put a bit of protein and veggies and for here that sort of thing. Yeah, we do it more as a dim option where we might have a bit of Mexican or something for dinner. But I'm not Deavid and I aren't big wrap people for lunch, like I'd love to do a meal prep. We we've got some rice or quinoi or potatoes like carb saws, or I'm just going to do a salad with a bit of like roasted potato or legumes or something in a much more of a hot meal or a salad type girl for lunch. I don't know, It's just sort of become my preference over the years. I think I just didn't really find wraps that feeling where I'd find it. I'd have to eat too or three to really fill up on them, So I more prefer my volume dense meals in other options, I guess, And.
Speaker 1: I know there's a lot of parents listening and kids sometimes prefer them at school. So I've sort of went through this morning and found three that were interesting for different reasons. So the first one I've chosen is one of the Mission varieties. Now, Mission is one of the big players in the wrap section of supermarkets. They've got many, many different types, So I just chose the kind of original large one. It doesn't market as whole meal or whole grain. It's sort of the typical white. I didn't get the mini the large one, so a serving size is about seventy one gram, so it is a larger wrap. If I look at the ingredient list, it is seventy two percent wheat flour, and it's got some B group vitamins added to that water, mineral salt, sidized salt, some vegetable oil, sugar, vegetable gums, and multifier acidity regulator preservatives. Now, the interesting thing about these that I'll come to in a second, not insignificant calorie wise. So this wrap is seven hundred and fifty eight kilodels, which is just shy of two hundred calories per serve, which is quite concentrated in energy just for the bread kind of section of a rap that you were making. It's got six point one grams of protein perserve, two point one grams of fat, so it's a low fat food at three percent, very little saturated fat as you would expect from a plain type bread. Thirty three point two grams of carbohydrate perserve, which is as a reference point, we usually would say two slices of bread is roughly thirty grams of carbohydrate. Now, the lower carb loaves like a bergen for example, that's got a very dense grain through it is about twenty four So for me, this is quite concentrated. It's sort of two slices of bread at least in that thin white wrap two point three grams of sugars And often it's beliefle and isn't it that people think sugar is added to bread, which is generally not the case. But in the case of this wrap, there is some sugar added to it, not a huge amount of dietary fiber. This is not whole wheat flour. This is just plain white wheat flour at one point six grams, which is a bit low lean and I would like to generally say at least three grams of fiber at least inner wrap. But the standout thing for me that differentiates this brand and in this product, that's got six hundred and sixty nine milligrams of sodium. Now, the upper daily recommended intake for sodium for an Australian adult is two thousand, so this is you know, a third of that in a single rap. So I would describe it as a high salt product in this category. So mission as I said, I've got a lot of different varieties. There's minis, there's whole wheat, and this is not one of the ones I would be going. Even though it looks pretty healthy on the surface, when we take a deep dive in the nutritionals, it's pretty low in dietary fiber, it doesn't have a whole grain base, and it's really really high in sodium, which is probably why they taste great, particularly when you're having Mexican and things with them. And two hundred almost two hundred calories per serverly, and like if you start to add sort of meat and salad or cheese onto that, you're going to end up with a four or five hundred calorie wrap in no time. So certainly wouldn't be on shopping list. And if I was going for this brand, I would seek out the Minis, And they do have a mini whole grain variety that I sometimes use if I don't have the other ones available, I mean serving.
Speaker 2: Size wires and in two hundred calories, for larger bodies or active people or you know, larger males, there's no problem. It's completely fine. But for somebody whose goal is fat loss, if you're not moving a lot, if you're living in a smaller body, it's probably I mean, I wouldn't say it's too big. It really just depends on what you're pairing it with. If you're just putting a little bit of low fat cheese and some salad, and it's not too bad. But if you're going to, you know, put a whole whack of half an avocado in there with a bit of lamb left over from dinner the night before, and some olives and some extra cheese in there with a little bit of salad, you're probably looking at a high calorie meal. So I mean, I think it's okay. I just don't think there's anything outstanding it. I think the sodium amount is far too much, as you said, and dietary fiber wise, i'd really like to see four to five grams in their per serving at a minimum for most sort of healthy adults. So this isn't something they would even register on my list when it comes to record many them for my client. And you know, about thirty three grams of cubs per one wrap, you're kind of getting the equivalent of two slices of bread. And the funny thing is that I'm just looking at the marketing on the front of the label. So it's the would you call that a green greenish kind of color? It's like a green yellow kind of color. Mission wrap light light light what light like? Light? Low fat light, low calorie like, what does light even mean? The marketing on some of these labels just makes me pull my hair out, SUSI, because I just think people look at that and they pick it up and they go light lit eat, great for fat loss, probably the opposite of what most small women or non active people want, and the equivalent to one rap. You're getting about two slices of bread in there. If it were me, I think I'd rather a good quality, grainy bread and build a proper sandwich out of it versus a rap. Because I think, like you said, people think they're having a light lunch option, and this is where that marketing halo kind of comes in there, a light lunch option, So then they do say yes to the chocolates or the biscuits or the afternoon tea, you know, coffee and cake because they think they're having a light, healthy lunch. I think that's where we sort of run into a little bit of problems. So just looking at that carbohydrate spread and there's nothing ideal in there either it's basically a white wrap. I mean there's a tiny, tiny, tidy bit of dietary fiber in there, but nothing significant or nothing what we want to actually support and narish our gut heuse. So this is a thumbs down for me. I don't really see any particular benefit even budget wise, Like if you're going to buy a rap if you're looking at a budget, I'd be getting the home brand calls or Woolli is one which is perhaps even a little bit better nutritionally than this one. So this one doesn't really tick any boxes for me. I would wouldn't really recommend it.
Speaker 1: It's a bit harsh, and my eyes are so bad. I didn't see it, said the light on that, So you've got a good eye for that. I tee who it's good for though, if you were going on like an all day hike or an endurance event, it would be perfect for you because it's good so as a carbo hydrate, low in dietary fiber, and pretty high in sodium if you were sweating in the hot sun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very true.
Speaker 1: If you've got any big hikes planned, if you're an athlete and quite fit and need sort of readily available fuel over a day walk or run. I'd be that'd be the brand for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you're a triathlete on the bike you can do a bit of peanut butter and honey. That'd be the perfect little during during session top up that you need.
Speaker 1: Yep, that would be the exact right product for you. All right. Now, the next one I chose, which I find fascinating to be honestly, and and Willis I think have a very similar product too, but I've gone for the Coals seventy percent lower carb, high fiber wrap. And the thing I find interesting is that it is a white wrap. Now, if anyone shops at Coals, you would have noticed they've got this sort of range coming through of low car but white products, because generally speaking, when we're having low carb breads, you tend to see a very dense grain or wholemeal base. But I actually inquired with the Coals Nutritionness about this product because I said to her, is this a formulated flower that's been made for Coals that's got this profile, because it's really hard to get a white flower that's got that much fiber in it. And yes, indeed, the truth is it has been. It's a proprietary blend that's made, and hence they can do these breads and obviously wraps that are white that have this huge fiber loon. So it's forty two grams, so it's sort of just over half the actual size. So this looks like kind of the minis that you see in supermarkets. Per serve just over one hundred calories or just about one hundred calories I should say, four hundred and eleven kilodols seven point seven grams of protein, which is huge for this small product. Three point three grams of fat, so it is not a low fat food, which suggests it's got a fairly good whack of grain in it, or I think possibly soy. It's coming from wheat fiber. It's got just five point eight grams of carbohydrate, so very low, less than a slice, less than half a slice of bread of carbohydrate. You could possibly use it on a kto possibly possibly too high in protein for that dietary fiber six point eight gram seven gram so really quite high. Sodium is very low at one sixty milligrams. So the ingredients of water, wheat flour again fortified soy protein is where that protein level is coming from as well as this special modified wheat starch. So this is what they're using to make a high fiber product that's still white. They're then adding the wheat starch back in, and I know, I've got some thoughts on that land about the difference between naturally occurring fiber and then companies adding it back in wheat gluten, which is bumping again up the protein. Vegetable shortening which is palm oil. I don't like to see that on a nutrition label.
Speaker 2: So your favorite one, SUSI, you know.
Speaker 1: A hydrogenated shortening there, apple sided vinegar, which is making it not sort of keep it's keeping that freshness that you get with the wrap. You almost get a vinegar flavor from some of them. WAT another source of fiber or wheat fiber, baking powder, raising agents thick and our wheat brand, and mulsifier, acidity regulator. I'dized salt preservatives. My kids just had a massive crash. If anyone's just heard that bang in the background.
Speaker 3: I did.
Speaker 1: This is a fascinating product nutrition Land. It is fascinating, macro wirese fascinating it And I remember talking to another dietician about this at some point and she was like, it's all well and good for the nutritional label to be what looks so strong in terms of it's got protein, it's calorie controlled, it's low in sodium, time fiber, But it doesn't take away from the fact this is a heavily processed food. When you look at this ingredient list compared to a dense whole grain bread, which would have more carbohydrate probably less fiber, you would absolutely argue that the whole grain bread is a million times better because it's less processed. And I have to agree, particularly when you're looking at something that's got ingredients like modified wheat starch to bump up the fiber, and things like vegetables shortening from palm oil to give it some taste and texture, and obviously throw in some saturated fat to boot. So I indeed have clients that use this kind of lower carb rap, but I don't generally go for this one.
Speaker 2: I agree, I absolutely have clients that use this as well, particularly in a fat loss space, particularly if we're word working with tighter budgets, tighter numbers. We need some of those macros, like we need the high protein ones. If I've got plant based clients or I really need that extual lack of dietary fiber if we've got you know, quite bad constipation. But then I'm also adding things like black beans and tight of salad into there as well to get also that you know, proper dietary fiber that we want. It's almost what I call this is terrible wording, but like fake fiber, do you know what I mean? Like when it's a white based wrap and you're just modifying it for to appear super high fiber, but it's not the type of good quality dietary fiber that we want to feed and nourish our gut health. Really, so on paper, the nutritional label the Macro spread absolutely stacks up as one of the best that we see in the supermarket. But you're right, it is a heavily, heavily modified product. There is some palm oil in there, which you know, we do know, we don't love. And yeah, perhaps there are better ones out there ingredient and health wise, but I definitely have used this before for my clients, I will be honest, and I think for the right person it can work. But I think when you're out of that fat lous phase and you're really aiming for good quality, healthy food products. It's not something that I'd be using or recommending every day, and they're definitely better health ones on the market.
Speaker 1: I find it really fascinating. So that was worth a good discussion, all right. So the third one that I've chosen will be a brand that our listeners are really familiar with because Simpsons Pantry have a huge number of Rapsley and like. It took me ages to go online and really find out the one I wanted to talk about, because there's Keto, there's spinach, there's like Minisi kids, white Minis for kids. So this was one I actually hadn't seen before, but it certainly was online in Coals. Again, I was looking at Coals Online, and I'll be fully transparent. The reason I often go Coals Online when I'm looking is because I can cut and paste the content easy into our script because in Willies it does it always go, So that's the only reason I do it from their website. So this is the Simpsons Pantry, low carb grains and seven seeds plus fiber. It's got five hell star ratings, It's in the Pink packet, and of course we will put a picture up on our infographics that we always put on Instagram every week to make it a bit easier for listeners to track these products down. Pers at seventy grams, so the typical larger rap size just shy of two hundred calories per serve at seven hundred and thirty one killer jewels, thirteen point four grams of protein, which is really significant, you know, like I'm sort of aiming for twenty roughly grams of protein, so you're getting a lot a plant based source of protein coming through this wrap. The fat is not low, which doesn't surprise me because if we're looking at a lot of seeds and grains, they do have a high fat content and that's certainly the case in this product. So it's got nine point four grams of fat per hundred, so you'd look and think, oh, it's high in fat, But when we sort of take a deep dive, it does have some saturated fat more than three grams per hundred three point one per serve, so it's not low in fat. But again we'll take a look win in a second nine point three grams of carbohydrate per serve, which is about half just over half a slice of bread, So it's kind of just shy of a slice of bread worth of carb in that seventy gram serve. It does have some sugars in it, will take a look in a second if they're added or naturally occurring. Thirteen grams of dietary fiber per serve, which is huge load massive two hundred and fifty three milligrams of sodium, so reasonable for a large wrap. That's not I wouldn't be concerned if it was less than three hundred. We sort of look for less than three hundred milligrams per hundred grams, so it's not low, but it's not any concern to be high here. So ingredients water, homeal wheat flour, yare so straight away, I'm really happy with that. Now it doesn't have the percentage of homeal wheat flour through it, but I always would like to see whole wheat or whole grain as their first ingredient. Soy protein, which is again where that protein load is slightly coming from, or say slightly because it will be coming from some of these other ingredients wheat, starch, vegetable shortening. So there's our friend, palme oiligan I'd suspect slipping in wheat gluten then there's a four percent gray and grain and seed blend. And here they're using flax seed flour, chia seed flour, brown linen seeds, kibbled purple wheat, molted wheat flakes, kibbled chika Leare you say that? How do you say that?
Speaker 3: Check tricker car It's a whole crain, kimbled wheat, kimbled rye. It's a lot of kiood maze, white kin Wi seeds, red kine seeds, black Kini seeds, wheat fiber, apple sided vinegar, bakey powder, raising agents, signo mulsifia. So it's sort of the formulation of the rap, which is very similar in terms of order of ingredients, is very similar to the coals mixed. So that's obviously the formula that the bakery whether they're making also the coals proprietary in their factory is possible because obviously the companies will use different factories and on that mix. To me, says it's the proprietary blend for a rap and then they just add different things to it.
Speaker 1: But there's a lot of sort of little grains and seeds going on here, and I thought, yes, there is some sort of formulated fiber, but far less so than in the other products. I sort of I quite like it, you know, if I was, I quite like it. I think that mix is nice. I don't have concerns.
Speaker 3: Really.
Speaker 1: There's a bit of palm oil I think in there, which is not ideal, but that will happen in a wrap compared to a bread. That's the benefit of having a whole grain bread over a rap. But I thought it was interesting to discuss because I know we sort of talked about this recently and you said you had some thoughts on it too, So certainly it would be my pick of the three. But there's some pros and cons, isn't there?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? And you're right I like it. On paper. It looks like you look at the nutrition information panel and it kind of ticks all the boxes right, like it's it's good for energy. Sure it's higher, but as you said, it's the main carve source in the meal. That it's fine. The proteins are great. Whack in a wrap thirteen point four is insane. The fat balance is really coming from, as you mentioned, a bit of palm oil plus a few of those like little seeds blended. But not to take anything away it's only four percent seeds, so there's a hell of a lot of good quality ingredients. When you look at the flax seed flower and the cheer seed flour, and the you know, the Quinois seeds and the brown limb seeds, that's all great, but it's only four percent, so it doesn't actually make up a large bix of it. It is still quite processed, but I would say it is probably a better option than the coals one. However, it is a little bit more energy dense, but you are getting more protein and fire. But in there four you know, for your money basically, so it's a larger size rap better for I would say more active people, but I quite like it. You're right, like I think it's it's hard to find a wrap that ticks every single box, like I think food companies have. You know, people want different things. The sodium is a lot lower compared to other products, so if you've you know, got issues with the a cardiac calthus's probably all blood pressure, there's probably a good way to go. The fiber is quite high, so if you're somebody with a sensitive tummil ibs, this might be a little bit too much for you. But most of that's not actually coming from our whole food sources. I mean some of it is from the whole meal wheat flour and the grain seed blend, which is only four percent. But just like the other wrap we talked about, the Calls one, there is that sort of modified fiber blend going in there. They're re adding things back into it to get that higher fiber load. So it's a great it's a great boost of fiber, but it may be too high for some people. So this is probably the favorite one that we've talked about today. There are definitely some benefits here, So for me, i'd probably give it. I'd say eight out of ten.
Speaker 1: I reckon.
Speaker 2: I quite like it. I'd definitely recommend it. There's definitely clients I could see he would benefit from using something like this.
Speaker 1: I like that. I'd give it about it a seven and a half or eight too full disclosure. I buy usually the mini whole grains. I just find this simple relatively inexpensive. I think you get six for two dollars, which is probably three dollars now since everything's gone up about a dollar in supermarkets. I quite like a mini, and when I'm looking for a rap, I'm not looking generally for lower carb but a team. And also I do use them actually there and I use them with my hungry women in the afternoon. So I find women who really about three four o'clock are starving and or going to the gym and they want sort of something more filling than just snacks. I will often use a rap and have that as a lower carb, higher protein snack to fill them up through the afternoon, or maybe even use it with peanut butter and banana to get a nice breakfast balance on someone who doesn't like eggs and things in the morning. So I think they're viable products, and yeah, you can certainly use them, and this would be a pretty good choice in the supermarket. Oh rash. Well, that brings us to the end of the Nutrition Couch product review for another week. If you haven't done so already, don't forget to subscribe to have us delivered to your inbox every Sunday and Wednesday morning. And if you recently missed our live tours that went through Melbourne, Sydney or Brisbane, or we're living in a different state and we're really interested to hear more about hormones, gut health and fat loss, our recording is now available for purchase on our website, the nutritioncouch dot Com. And yeah, you might get some more useful tricks and tips from the Ann and I on that.
Speaker 2: And it's not just for aussi's as well. Just you know, if you're in Europe somewhere, you're in the middle of America, or in Russia or in France, these podcast recordings are appropriate for everyone around the world. So unlike their product segment where we generally do choose Australian based products, the live recordings where we talked about hormones, fat loss and gut health and did the live Q and A, that was applicable for anybody all around the world. So if you're wanting to, you can listen from the comfort of your own home. It's available for seventy nine auds Australian dollars on our website, which is the nutritioncouch dot Com just under the events tap enjoy big following in Russia.
Speaker 1: The most waste to be the most part