Speaker 1: Talkbag Tings is where I bring you bits of gold that we find on talkback radio. It's a world of its own that our listeners are really missing out on some good stuff.
Speaker 2: Oh really, and we've found some gems. I mean we even we opened up a can of worms. The Lady Gaga conspiracy. Did she call the thro hotline?
Speaker 3: That's right, that was the most recent one.
Speaker 1: I figured out that if you search talkback Tings on the podcast app, which just brings up all the ones we've done, so it's easy to find them. So we've played John Laws a few times on Talkback Tings and I've really only ever showed you what a cranky bars that it can be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of yelling, a lot of frustration.
Speaker 1: Also, I just love his insults because you know how, I just think he's so eloquent, Like a weird part of me just really wants to be insulted by John Laws because he's so good at them.
Speaker 4: Kay for kill.
Speaker 1: Anyway, this week, I'm showing you a different side to John Laws. In fact, my sister messaged me the other day she was back at mum and Dad's place driving the tractor. Oh, she's listening to the radio and she goes, I'm in tears when she heard this piece of AUDEO. Then I'm going to play later made her cry. And when I eventually track down the audio I got, I gotta tell you.
Speaker 3: I I did cry.
Speaker 5: I did.
Speaker 2: Just feel good.
Speaker 1: Prepare your talk, all right, So today I want to introduce you to one of John's regular callers, Dale. Now, Dale is in his sixties and he's living with an intellectual disability, and he's been calling through to John every week for over twenty five years.
Speaker 2: That's how old I am my whole life.
Speaker 3: It's older than me.
Speaker 1: But everyone loves Dale, right, Like all of John's listeners. They're familiar with him, and he just completely uplifts the mood of the show.
Speaker 2: And that happens with radio shows. I've got usual callers that call my show every night, and I love to.
Speaker 1: Hear him the same deal, and everyone starts becoming familiar with him. He's like a piece of furniture yeah on the show. And he and John have formed this really beautiful friendship. You can tell that John really really cares for Dale after all these years.
Speaker 3: Every Friday they check in with each other, really, yes they do.
Speaker 1: So Dale works with one of those ability support services, you know, the ones that have activities in programs set up yeah, out with intellectual disability so they can work and have some independence and dignity.
Speaker 3: Well, last Friday, Dale called through like he always does, with a bit of good news.
Speaker 1: Now take a listen to how instantly John's mood changes.
Speaker 5: Ok, here we go. I suggest that the victoria is mister Pacola, keep his mouth shut. Tell me what is on? Who do I have here?
Speaker 4: Dale?
Speaker 5: I've got Dale? Good morning, Dale?
Speaker 4: I want award? John?
Speaker 5: You won an award? Wow, you won an award? Isn't that wonderful?
Speaker 4: My first tern?
Speaker 5: Why did it? What? What was the award for working? For what? You won an award for working? You must have been working very hard, busy, busy, busy, busy, and you won an award for being a good Yes, isn't that wonderful?
Speaker 4: And now the Christmas para is coming up next on.
Speaker 5: The seventeen seventeenth.
Speaker 4: Is it of December?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Seventeenth of December, I hope December. Okay, so you go, Well, you've got a lot happening, You've won an award, and you've got to Christmas party coming up. Yeah, Now tell me this. What have you been doing? Have you been going to bed and sleeping middle to night in the middle of the night, But you haven't been walking around?
Speaker 4: Nah, the listening to my raasy when the ghosts say, listen to good.
Speaker 5: Easy, okay, So you listen to the music and the music helps put you to sleep. Yeah, well that's good. That's nothing wrong with that. No, nothing wrong with that at all. So you're not walking around in the middle of the night.
Speaker 4: Now I saw him, I've got I bought my Chistar present for Christmas?
Speaker 5: Yeah, what did you buy it?
Speaker 4: I bought a ninety A ninety.
Speaker 5: What a lovely present?
Speaker 4: Is a lovely present?
Speaker 5: What a love? Aren't you? Aren't you a good brother?
Speaker 4: You are a good brother.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you are a good brother. A good man, Yeah, good man, A very generous man.
Speaker 4: It's John's roy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, John is right, you bet. Are you going to sing a song for me?
Speaker 4: You ain't going to sing?
Speaker 5: What are you going to sing?
Speaker 4: I think good? Doughtor and nurse Reggie have a very shiny.
Speaker 5: And you have litten.
Speaker 4: Even ever say crawl or y have the Reggie you sit under? Call me name? And they both rudo John any raindy gay? Then saw the Christmas saying, they just say weird. Well you don't know someone once you shine my stay tonight and now that they need love sing and then I soundly we were othering noose Brady use another history.
Speaker 5: Very good. The last note was terrific, very good, very good. Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer. It's a classic old Christmas song. You sang that very well. That was very good, very good, very good. All right, mate, Well, I better go and earn a dollar or something.
Speaker 4: I saw Mama kissing change under the mitchell Son ad didn't see me see under tendance, tenden be apart. I do see my my paper fastesty and I well, mamasy say under the missing Charlie. Why wow.
Speaker 5: Wow, that was a pretty couple of high notes in there. Yeah, yeah, very good, very good.
Speaker 4: Nacles is still still around.
Speaker 5: Yeah he's listening. Yeah it's Friday morning. He listens Friday mornings. Yeah. You can say hello to Santa, Hey.
Speaker 4: Santa, excuse me, sir. I want I want lots of present for Christmas Day. I want lots of needy.
Speaker 5: You want lots of dale. I don't know. You mustn't be greedy, mate, you can't say I want lots. Just say I'd love some presents on Christmas Day.
Speaker 4: I got some presents for Christmas Day.
Speaker 5: Yeah. That that's a very nice way to do it. You don't say you don't want to be greedy, do you?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 5: No, I don't want to be greedy at all. All right, my mate, I've got to go now. You've got to go now, yep, gotta go to strike a blow. Got to make a dollar or fifty cents at least, do my best.
Speaker 4: Merry Christmas? I went out, Have you the merry Christmas?
Speaker 5: Who are you talking to Santa?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Santa's listening, Yes, yeah, he listens. So you till I just don't say I want a lot of presents. Just say I hope you remember me on Christmas Day, Santa.
Speaker 4: I hope you remember me on Christmas Day, Santa.
Speaker 5: That's the boy. That's a nice way to put it. And I'm sure that Santa will remember you.
Speaker 4: He will remember you.
Speaker 5: He will, don't you worry about it?
Speaker 4: That's right?
Speaker 5: All right mate? Well, I better go strike a blow, earn a dollar, do something. Yeah, Okay, we'll talk to each other next week.
Speaker 4: I told you next week. Okay, Bye bye bye.
Speaker 5: Going bye, Dale, talk to you next week.
Speaker 4: Told you next week.
Speaker 2: I'm the number one Dale supporter in the world, my fan club until the day I dine.
Speaker 3: He's so sweet and that's your first time hearing him right, and.
Speaker 2: I very I've never heard him before.
Speaker 3: I want to hear more of him. Well, I have got some more.
Speaker 1: It's funny that you've you've connected with him so instantly, because I can't even remember when I first heard Dale, but I remember it was always a case of my dad being like everyone.
Speaker 3: Shdale's on and would be like, oh, Dale's back, kids.
Speaker 1: He has been calling in every Friday, usually around eleven, and his life story has pretty much unfolded on the John Laws Show. So he used to live with his mum. I believe she was his full time care for a long time. So he was always telling stories about his mum and John was always you know, how's mum, Dale, and oh good John, and then one week it was oh, you know, Mum's sick, John, And then you know, after some time went on and Dale called through with the unfortunate news that his mum had passed away. So I want to point out as well that just this year John Laws lost his wife yeah, remember that. But it's been a few years since Dale lost his mum. And you heard in that first audio I played. You're right that John was asking if Dale's been getting enough sleep? Yeah, asking if he's been walking around. Yeah, well there's a reason for that. Now this is the sad part.
Speaker 2: Take a listen.
Speaker 5: One three hundred and five six four sixt five two. Tellphone number if you'd like to give us a call. Oh, I think I might have found Dale.
Speaker 4: Dale.
Speaker 5: Good morning, Dale.
Speaker 4: I had a fall last night.
Speaker 5: Oh you didn't? You have a nasty fall or just a little fall?
Speaker 4: A bad fall?
Speaker 5: A bad fall? What happened.
Speaker 3: That?
Speaker 4: There was her his head on his fall on my head?
Speaker 5: What happened?
Speaker 4: He hit your what did you hit your head on on on a their the cot hand on my head?
Speaker 5: Oh, the coat hanger. Yeah, that's no good. But you you're okay. I'm fine, Yes, so long as you're fine, because you know I worry about you. I want you to be fine.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm fine.
Speaker 5: Now, Now what have you been up to? Tell me? What have you been up to? Have you been going to sleep? Apart from hitting yourself on the head, you been going to sleep? Not yet? Oh? Mate? Not yet, But I know you're walking around and you're looking for Mum.
Speaker 4: Still walking around looking for mum.
Speaker 5: Mate. Oh no, mate, You're not going to find.
Speaker 4: Mum and never going to find mom now, You're not.
Speaker 5: One day you will, not yet. You can't fight have no, not not yet. So you've got to be You've got to be patient.
Speaker 4: You must see your Monday.
Speaker 5: You will you don't. Don't worry. One day you'll be back with Mum. I promise you. Yeah, okay, So you just think about that. She's waiting for you, She's she's watching you, don't. Don't you think she's not got an eye on you, because she has. She's looking down and making sure that her dale is is good and healthy and happy. She wants you to be happy, mate.
Speaker 4: He wants you to be very very happy.
Speaker 5: She wants you to be very very happy. So you must you must try and be happy. And the way to be happy is to think about the lovely memories you had of Mum, and the good fun you had together with Mum, and the love you share still with Mum. Because she's still loves you, even though she's up there, she still loves you.
Speaker 4: He still loves you up there.
Speaker 5: That you bet she loves you and you love her. I do. I know you do, I know you do. So everything's pretty good. Really, when you're stopp and they have a close look at it, you you know, things are pretty good, aren't they. Yeah?
Speaker 2: Oh, bless Joe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was the one that got me when I heard it the first time.
Speaker 2: You can hear in his voice that he has to sort of stop and check and then move on. That's that's Yeah, he's such a good friend to him. Many radio announcers you just move on and wouldn't give Dale the time of day.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 1: I love I love seeing that side of John because we are used to the ruthless, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like we'll have very little patience recallers. Yeah, he and Dale have had this really beautiful relationship over the years.
Speaker 2: So and then I mean John is also very recently his wife.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what I that's what I mean. I think he would be a good person to to tell about, you know, grief.
Speaker 2: He could relate. Yeah, that's so beautiful.
Speaker 3: Oh, sorry to end up a bit of a down Yeah, thanks a lot.
Speaker 2: Miture Jesus Christ. Next week we'll be back ridiculing people though. So it's fine, back to what we do best.
Speaker 3: And I know I was going to do this next week, but I thought, like our last show, it's meant to be a bit of fun.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, we could be silly in the last show. It's just good to get it out of the system.
Speaker 1: But I know that, you know, Christmas can be a tricky time for some people because it reminds them of people that aren't there anymore.
Speaker 2: So yeah, you know it can. But John had a great point. You know, you just remember them they are they are still there, They're always there.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Is It Just Me? A podcast by a couple of Mitchens,