Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud yr the Order Kerni Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impactful tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money. She's on the Money.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast for millennials who want financial freedom. Welcome back to another one of my favorite episodes, money Daries, where I get the absolute privilege of talking to one of our incredible She's on the Money community members all about their journey. Let's jump straight into it, because this week I got a message and it sounded a little bit like this. Hi, She's on the Money. I'm nearly fifty and recently separated from my husband and I've now brought him out of our family shipping container, small home. One of the reasons we separated was our very different approach to money, especially as we owned a business together. I was accounts in HR and would work out the budget, which he would then totally ignore, only to blame me if we didn't have enough money to buy what he wanted. I would love to share my story on how I survived our ten year marriage and the steps I took to lead myself out of this circumstance. Money Diarist, what a story to share. I'm so excited about this. We welcome to the show.
Speaker 4: Thank you very excited to be here.
Speaker 2: I am very excit t I d that you're also here. The first question that I always ask on the show is Money Diarist. How would you grade your money habits if I asked you to grade them from A through to F.
Speaker 4: I'm sitting between a BUS or a C plus.
Speaker 3: Can't quite make up my mind on that.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, you don't have to make up your mind just yet. We can talk about it at the end of the episode. My favorite question, though, Money Diarist, can you tell us a little bit more about your money story?
Speaker 4: Well, both my parents were quite interested in money, and where mum worked in accounts dad it went back to study accounting, though he never worked in it, and they did do a lot of collaborating with the bills and things that check their receipts against their accounts, but it was not something that was discussed with my sister and myself. So it was sort of like something that adults did not necessarily that children did. They did encourage us to save, and if we were we didn't necessarily a lot of money growing up compared to what I saw some of my friends having. But I know that probably we did have it. Mum and Dad chose to put it into paying off their property, having shares, but I didn't see that. I saw, you know, that I couldn't have the designer top that I wanted, And you know, my sister and I used to we'd get hand me downs from sports Scale when we'd take the label, like the tag at the back off the Sports Scale top and put it onto a Target top because then we had two tops that we could wear that were like the designer label.
Speaker 3: Because Mom wasn't going to go.
Speaker 4: And spend you know, sixty bucks on a T shirt when she could buy it from Target for like fourteen.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I'm still like that but I feel like the older we get, the less we care about the label. We're like, hmm, young people definitely care about it.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I will gloat to you that this is from Kama or Target. I will tell you that I've got the best money win any Thai world.
Speaker 4: Yes, definitely me now too. I think it made my sister and I quite innovative when it came to how we spent our money and what we did with it.
Speaker 2: Very cool. And then what happened as you got a little bit older.
Speaker 4: I suppose it went to UNI spent a lot of money on my horses. Yeah, traveled quite a bit, But I suppose I always had an interest in in saving and being able to do better. Mum and Dad for my first horse, I bought myself. Well, even just growing up, they told me that I desperately wanted a horse, and they said, well if I bought the land, that by meet the horse. And I think I was in about year two or year three at this stage, so religiously from that point I saved for land, not really realizing that land was quite a bit more expensive than a horse. And then in high school I sort of worked out that actually I saved enough money to buy my own horse, and Mum and Dad were good. They actually supported me in doing that over time. So I sort of always had a bit of a savor personality, which maybe would delve into later on. Is probably one of my downfalls as well. And from one of my trips overseas, my sister was working ski lifts in Canada, so I went over.
Speaker 3: To see her.
Speaker 4: I decided that I wanted to buy a house, so I came back, lived at home and bought a house. I saved up the money, got the deposit, and went through doing that, had the house for a little bit, and then met my now ex husband.
Speaker 3: But my husband and.
Speaker 4: Although listening to my speel about him at the beginning, I'm like, we had some great times together, you know, we had dreams together, we had make it a bit sad about this because it just didn't turn out the way that I planned. Though he can be a bit of a idiot in some ways, there's many good things about him as well.
Speaker 2: That is so fine. I feel like that's such a relatable story though, Like no one gets married with the hopes that it doesn't work out right. You get married with all of the hopes and the dreams that this is going to be the happily ever after in the fairy tale. Otherwise you wouldn't get married, would you, Like, you wouldn't go this is my forever person. And I think the idea that you know obviously, I actually really like that you've shared that with us, because I think that there's this idea that a ten year marriage is a waste of time if the outcome was bad. But it's not. You had a beautiful journey together. You learned, you grew, you change together. You probably had so many moments that are life changing moments together. But sometimes just because it was right in the moment doesn't mean that it's right forever. Yeah, And I think that that's a really good story to share as well, because it's not a rite off.
Speaker 4: No, we were together like fifteen years, so five years and then got married and yeah, we traveled overseas, spent two years overseas living the dreams, snowboarding, mountain biking, and it was during that that we talked about starting a business together, and you know, came back, we got engaged overseas, came back, got married, started the business, got pregnant, bought a bird, the family.
Speaker 3: Of land that I now own. And yeah, we had.
Speaker 4: A great time together doing that and ah building the business up from where it was just him and me to the stage where we oh say we but I mean the business is continuing now without me, but we have several employees, we have contractors. That vision that we had over in Canada, you know, we actually saw to fulfillment.
Speaker 2: That's very cool. That is very very cool to know that it wasn't just kind of like a pipe dream or something that you talk about one day, like it actually happened and you built it and you proved to yourselves that yeah, you could do that. So what do you now do for work?
Speaker 4: Well, despite like although I was working in this business, I was also my career. All my background is in teaching, So I still work. I've just gone back for well say just the last three years, I've been back working full time. But previous to that, after having kids, I was working part time teaching, part time in the business.
Speaker 2: Very cool, And let's be a little bit pervy. How much money do you make?
Speaker 4: Like I did look this up because I was like I need to have these answers.
Speaker 3: So one hundred and nine thousand and.
Speaker 2: Is that including or excluding super now that.
Speaker 3: Will be excluding super.
Speaker 2: Oh very nice, very very nice. So I want to know. Obviously life has changed significantly for you, but what are your big money goals now? What are we working towards? What's on the radar?
Speaker 4: Well, definitely off the mortgage or paying it down enough. It's sort of a long term plan. But I'd really like to build a actual house and not live in a cabin for the rest of my life, which, although it's quite cute, is quite small when I have teenage children.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's absolutely fair. I can't imagine how cramped it could become, given how many times I argued with my mum over getting the sink in the bathroom way back when. So I have no doubt you want that to kind of resolve itself sooner rather than later. Yes, tell me a bit more about you know this, I guess mortgage and what that actually means, and how I guess that has played into it. Obviously getting a divorce, things could be really messy or things could be relatively clean cut. How did you make those decisions around? All right, well, I'm going to pay off this mortgage, I'm going to get the home. What happened with the business, Like, I feel like there's so many questions there that could be, you know, really tricky, because I can't imagine I own my business but my husband's not involved. So I know that if something didn't work out, I'd be like, Okay, well this is my business. I'm going to continue to run it. But if you run it together, that could be a very challenging circumstance, right.
Speaker 3: Very much so.
Speaker 4: And though it was his skill set that we set the business up around, so if he took him out of it, the business maybe wouldn't go as well as what it is now. And I was, you know, my skill set is much easier to replace within that. So if I suppose we looked at we had equal shares in it, and because I had the house before we got married, he did not have a house, and he actually didn't have any super when he met maybe either working for himself. That was something that we sort of set up for him. As we've progressed in our financial journey, like getting together and getting married sort of thing, We're like, right, well, we need to set this up. So I think I just was like, well, what's fair, you know, and his time and intellectual property within the business was much more of a percentage than mine. So I was like, well, if he gets the business, then in some ways we it was pretty messy, but in other ways we wanted to try and keep it as messy free as possible for our children, and that meant keeping them in the family home, so that meant me buying him out of their property. So from there I went and saw some counselors, went and saw lawyers and talked to them about what it was, and let you know, I upskilled myself on what are the possibilities not just taking the first person I spoke to advice, and that's something I wanted to share for anyone else that's contemplating it is. You know, there's so many services out there, and for some of them I didn't qualify it, Like I couldn't go because of my income that I haned and because I owned business. A lot of them were like, oh, that's a little bit tricky. We can't help you, but have you tied this service or you know what about these guys? And I would really encourage people to make the call, ask the questions. And then when I started to go, oh, several people have so told me for our superannuation, the two amounts will be added together, and then it separated and I had heaps more superannuation than him. I was older, I had a longer working life, so I knew from the get go that I was going to end up losing some of my super to him. But it wasn't so hard to take because I was able to go, this is what it is. You know, normally it works in the female's favor. For me, it worked the opposite way because I had, you know, that greater asset. But we were also then my lawyers talked about the fact that, you know, because I had more coming in prior to meeting my ex husband, that it shouldn't be a fifty to fifty straight split. And so having that knowledge and having someone that was able to back me on that is really useful.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Wow, all right, let's go to a really quick break, and on the other side of the break, I want to ask a few more perfect questions, mainly about being on a different financial page and how that played out. Don't go anywhere, all right, money, diarist, We are back, and I have a few more perfect questions up my sleeve. I really want to know in your letter that you wrote into us. You said, you know, you would work out the budgets, and your ex husband he wasn't really a budget kind of guy. How did that play out? Was that something that was an issue the whole relationship or was it something that just when you spoke about the business was an issue or it was only an issue in the lady years? Like, what did that actually look like?
Speaker 4: It was probably always an issue from the point we started to have joint finances, and that probably came about when we started to travel together. You know, you get into a relationship for better or for less, and no one's perfect, and so you sort of go, well, yeah, this is his challenge. You know, I've got, as I said before, I save money. I don't spend the spender, not the saver. So it was just the further we got along where it wasn't his money habits weren't allowing us to reach joint goals. Then he would blame me for not reaching them. And when we'd sort of we'd go, right, well, we're going to spend this much on shopping, We're going to spend this much on petrol, this much on you know, our coffees and that, and he then wouldn't follow it, but then blame me for.
Speaker 3: Not following it. Each scot pretty.
Speaker 4: One of the early stories is I was thinking about this that I was when we were going to travel overseas. He come home one day with a.
Speaker 3: iPod and I'm showing my age here.
Speaker 4: It was an iPod that we used to have music on, not like burns nowadays.
Speaker 2: Hey, I had an iPod. You're not that old.
Speaker 4: Come on. Oh I teach younger kids primary school age and they think I am ancient.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's because they're actual children. They don't get it. I'm a millennial, not a gen z. So often I'm not up with it either. Don't worry.
Speaker 4: And he was like, I thought this would be good for us to travel with. I'm like, excellent. How much does it cost? And he's like, oh blah blah blah, And then he wanted me to pay half of it, and I was like, I don't know that I can afford that, Like, this was not a joint discussion.
Speaker 3: You bought it.
Speaker 4: And then to top it off, he wouldn't let me put my music on it.
Speaker 3: But I still was meant to.
Speaker 4: Pay half of absolutely not sir, Well I did, but that kind of is a good illustration of where we got a bit stuck and where maybe I wasn't as capable as I am now. Life teaches you these things of setting boundaries with that and knowing that, you know, setting those boundaries early on would have meant that we knew where we stood. Later on, where it got harder to sort of, you know, go, Actually, I wasn't part of that conversation, So why.
Speaker 2: Am I then responsible for this?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Getting some you know, impact from it?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: No, absolutely so as you I guess progressed in your relationship and I guess got further towards the end of it. Were those things compounding or were you just sick of it? Or were you just at a point where you're all like, this is not going to work. Because to me, it feels a little bit when you're saying you would set a budget and then he'd tell you, no, I'm going to ignore it and then say it was your fault. I'm like, so that is textbook gas lighting. I'm not okay with that, And I feel like that could be over a really long period of time, really disheartening. You start to really question yourself, Am I good at money? Like I've been setting these budgets and he keeps saying, it's my fault, I'm not doing it. Did you start to think that maybe it was you not being good at money or you having the issue, when in reality that wasn't the case at all.
Speaker 4: In my brain, I knew it wasn't me. And I'll say that the behavior that I'm describing was not limited to financial. I'm only giving the financial examples, but it wasn't limited to yeah, of course finances. But it wasn't until I was out that I knew well. I started to see the damage it had done to my soul, my emotional well being that I was sort of like, I knew he hadn't had the easiest life growing up, and so I could forgive him of his faults. And I just thought, and maybe it's teaching, where you see You're always like people can learn, people can grow, and I thought that that's what would happen. And then over time realizing that it's not happening. And there was a couple of moments where the catalysts were where I asked my children to not change their behavior according to what their dad was doing, and I'm like, hang on a sec I changed my behavior according to what their dad is doing. How can I expect my children not to Is this what I want them to grow up with that this is okay in a relationship because it's not okay. And I could tell them that it wasn't okay, but my words weren't matching my behavior.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And sometimes actions do really speak louder than words, right, Like you can talk the talk, but if you're not walking the walk, Like I feel, people see straight through that, especially kids who are tiny parrots who just copy everything that you do, whether they like it or not.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So what did that, I guess translate into. So, if you were the one who was good at finances, I got to be a bit pervy. What does this mean for the business he's now running? Because if he's gonna not be good at money, I just have a sneaky suspicion that's not the best position for a business owner to be in.
Speaker 4: No, I believe, I don't know for sure, but I believe he has a very good admin person that he has put in place.
Speaker 3: That is, she certainly took on the role for me a lot of the bits and pieces that I was.
Speaker 4: Doing within the business, and she came from a strong money budgeting corporate business.
Speaker 3: So I'm guessing that she was just like, Yep, this is the way it is, buddy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fair, I like it. And I feel like sometimes you need that non related kind of party to step in and be like, actually, this is how it is for them to actually respect it. Which sucks because we could have had a very different outcome here, sir, Yes, but we are here. You mentioned your kids not replicating the behaviors of your husband. What do you think your kid's attitude towards money is.
Speaker 4: I get worried because I'm forever saying to them, we can't afford things. We're on a tight budget.
Speaker 3: This you know.
Speaker 4: It's so I'm like super conscious of it. We have done the barefoot like book, they've done the Barefoot steps for families. They've got their little jars. I think they understand it in that sense. But I do worry that I'm putting my hoarding. We must hoard money, but there's not enough of it onto them. But then maybe that evens out with his let's.
Speaker 3: Spend everything we've got sort of thing.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, that gives me so much anxiety. All right, I want to know when it comes to investments. Do you have any mentioned Super before? Can you tell us a little bit more about I guess super and any other investments you have.
Speaker 4: Well, obviously I have the mortgage on the property at the moment, so it was valued at six hundred and fifty thousand, and I've got a mortgage of around the three hundred and sixty.
Speaker 3: Five thousand on that.
Speaker 4: My sleeper is sitting at one hundred and fifty one thousand.
Speaker 2: Not bad looking good, Yes.
Speaker 4: Like he obviously took a bit of a dip with what I had to share out to my eggs. His was sort of around the under fifty thousand, so it certainly was a little bit of a chunk of that went to him. But as I said, that's just the way they sort it out, and it works in favor of some people and not in favor of others.
Speaker 3: So I'm still pretty happy with it.
Speaker 4: Shares, I have some pair pictual shares. I'm sitting at around fifteen thousand.
Speaker 2: Oh where did perpetual come from?
Speaker 4: I had a financial advisor back before I met my ex husband and they started. My grandmother left me. I think it was about a grand when she passed away, and then my grandfather left me about five hundred and I put them into perpetual shares back. I don't know however many.
Speaker 3: Years it was.
Speaker 4: And we have added to them when things were good, and we stopped adding when things weren't good. But that was something that because I started them with money gifted to me from my grandparents, my lawyers were like, I get to keep them. I did have to buy him out of them.
Speaker 2: Oh good.
Speaker 3: So yeah, that's something.
Speaker 4: That's another one of those little things where I'm really pleased that I've kept my grandparents' legacy there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a really cool.
Speaker 4: And then I've got a very small Cheers's account at forty eight dollars.
Speaker 2: Oh love, love.
Speaker 4: Yep, And I will thank you for introducing me to that because I wanted to add to my share portfolio, but I haven't been able to do the big chunks.
Speaker 2: From little things, big things grow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I do five dollars a fortnite, so you sort of work out how long I've been doing it from that and just have an automatic. I did do some purposeful buying and then I've just automated it and let them choose.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Oh, I love that so much. It makes me so happy when people, I guess share that with me, not because you're using Chazy's Obviously I do like the platform, but I think it's just this idea that it's so much more accessible. Obviously, the perpetual shares have such a higher entry point for you to be able to contribute to them, and if you were adding five bucks every fortnight, you'd be like, maybe this isn't worth it, Like I can't really see it. There's not that level of transparency. The brokerage fees would be so expect on that, whereas five dollars on chairs is really attainable, really really accessible, And I think it just makes you feel a little bit more motivated about your journey as well. And it just you're doing the right thing, You're in the right place, You're taking the right steps to create financial freedom, and I think that's really sexy.
Speaker 3: Thank you all right.
Speaker 2: I want to know you mentioned before your mortgage you have a six hundred and fifty thousand dollars mortgage with three hundred and sixty five thousand dollars oweing on it, or that was what your property was worth versus what's oweing? Do you have any other debts?
Speaker 4: I do I have a car line that I took over, so so it was in my ex husband's name, so I took that over from him, and there's thirty three thousand left on that. It could be one of those bad money habits where I'm like, it was a car probably above what I could definitely what I could have bored now, and it was kind of like a gift of say, if you stay with me, these are the gifts that I can give you.
Speaker 2: And now you've got the debt for the gift. That's very nice, very generous.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that is sort of during our make up time. But it's been one of those things where I'm just like, you know, that little bit, it makes me feel better about myself.
Speaker 3: And so I have kept it.
Speaker 4: But it might be one of those things if things special, if intrastrates on mortgages and electricity bills keep going up, I might have to be realistic about whether I really need it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's fair. I kind of lack that you told me that it makes you feel good about yourself because I think that that especially in circumstances like yours, where you said before you know your emotional wellbeing, and I'm going to extrapolate that out to your confidence has really been knocked. I think that there are some things that I don't really care about the financial side of it, Like this is what's making me feel good at the moment, and we're aware of it and we're going to keep an eye on it, but like it's helping, and it's you know, that kind of crutch that I'm going to lean on for the moment so that I can put myself in the best possible position long term. Because I think that it's not always just about finance. I think it can also be about your well being and your happiness and your confidence and just how you feel about the world.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I do a lot of driving.
Speaker 4: Some of those are like country case, and so having a good car that starts, that's comfy, that's economical as as well as big cars can be. You know, that is also you know, part of it, and it's safe to drive my children around in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally, all right. I want to know, because I feel like you've probably got a few of these up your sleeve. What is your best money have It?
Speaker 4: Probably a lot of planning, I'll call it budgeting for want of a better word. Every fortnight, when I get paid, I sit down and I write down in a little notebook. You know, I have a different one for each financial year. A going and getting the new notebook is really excited. And the front of it has like my long term goals and where my money flow is going to go, and how my cash flow is, and might list my debts that I've got and I might redo those quarterly. But in the back is I look at all my different accounts and I'll list down how what I've got in all of them, and then I look at is it better or worse than last fortnight? And then what my net overall position is. And it's that idea that from little things, big things grow. You don't see it from fortnite to fortnite. But if I grab a book from last financial year and I look at it and I look at those accounts, you can see the difference that you're making.
Speaker 2: Oh I love that. And you keep them all. You don't like get rid of the old ones as the new year comes in.
Speaker 3: No, I keep them for seven years.
Speaker 2: Oh seven years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my parents are accountants.
Speaker 2: No, I like it, the seven year rule. I get it. I've got anxiety over the year seven. It's all good.
Speaker 4: And then I'll work out what bills I have to pay, you know, and it may even be my parents lent me some money the other day when I had some cash flow problems, you know, and that will go down on that, and then I'll list them in hierarchical order, you know, what's most important to be paid this fortnight down and then sort of track so that you don't miss any and if you have to jiggle them around to go, oh, this one's got a due date soon, better make sure that that one's paid. It just helps me feel like I'm on track instead of like you've thrown up a deck of cards and you're like, oh, my goodness, which bill am I going to grab first that I need to pay?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? Have you always been like this with budgeting or is this something that you've learned over time.
Speaker 4: I'll go back to that story I told it about saving for the land instead of the horse. Yeah, the second horse I wanted to buy. Dad told me if I kept track of my finances for a year and I could prove to him that I could afford it, that I could get a second horse. And I think that's where it started to stem from.
Speaker 2: I love this motivation everybody's motivation is so different. Like if you said to me you can buy a horse, I'd be like, I do not know what to do with a horse, Like this is not my jam. Whereas a horse you budgeted for twelve four months because of this, and it's impacted the rest of your box. I love this. If ever I need advice on how to budget for a horse, I am coming straight to you, my friend, because there is nobody who I would deem more reliable in this space.
Speaker 4: Well, I would suggest that you don't budget for a horse because that really expensive creatures.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Look, I've heard that We've had some horse friends on the show before, and I'm always so shocked at how expensive they are. But I will say horse people are some of the most committed people in the entire world. So like, if you're into horses, like get it clean, because that is an expensive habit. Yes, I do want to bring down the mood of the conversation. I need to know what do you think is your worst money have it?
Speaker 4: While I've probably alluded to a couple of them, I think having horses and kids is probably.
Speaker 2: Horses and kids. Yeah, fair, I don't have horses.
Speaker 4: I don't have kids, Yeah, definitely worth having it, but not financially, and then just hobbies and school with kids would definitely add to it. Maybe a little zip pay account. When we're talking about debts, I didn't get to mentioning that.
Speaker 2: Whoops.
Speaker 4: I've used it for vet bills and for tires on my car, and it was the only way I could afford to do it because I don't like credit cuts and I didn't want to take out a credit cut. Paying that off would certainly change things.
Speaker 2: I feel like. I like the way you're using that though, because obviously going through a divorce, you're going to have cash flow issues like these are very common things to go through, and if you're using something like zip paid to actually cash flow VET bills, which are essential, I don't think that's the worst use of the platform. I think the issue is when you go down the slippery slope and people end up spending way beyond their means on things that they don't necessarily need. And so the thing I really like about these platforms, which you know, obviously we don't endorse getting them, but if you're in that circumstance where you can't pay your vet bills, what a tool to have to be able to cash flow that because I guarantee, if you're anything like me, you're as obsessed with your pets as I am. And there's absolutely no way I'm not paying for that. Like in that moment, I don't care how much debt I'm taking on because I love my animals so much and that is my priority. So I think it's it's also very helpful to have a tool that enables you to cash flow stuff like that, which is, you know, essential from my perspective. Yeah, so not the worst thing, not the worst thing at all.
Speaker 3: And then maybe coffee and alcohol.
Speaker 2: No, I feel like that apple doesn't fall far from the she's on the money tree. I'm very, very good at a coffee, but I did do the maths the other day. My daily coffee does cost me fourteen hundred dollars a year, and if I saved fourteen hundred dollars a year and ten years, I still can't afford a house. So I will be continuing my coffee addiction, and I hope that that makes you feel a little bit better about it as well. Definitely, so money Diarist, before I go, I feel like this has been a really special story to share because you're in the position that you know a lot of us in our community might actually find ourselves in one day. And you've shared some really really good tips and tricks about you know, not just taking the first person's advice and making sure that you always know your worth and that you you know, set boundaries and put yourself in the best possible position. What other advice have you got that the community definitely needs to hear.
Speaker 4: I would go like relationships Australia was a has some great resources and their people that you can speak to on the phone have been really good financially, putting some child support in place, as to you know, how you sought out the timetable, how you sort out who's going to pay for what would be definitely a resource. I'd recommend listening to podcasts obviously that that was something that really helped me. I think I actually wrote down some notes too. Oh, if you need to go get some good counseling, psychology, get a mental health plan, don't be afraid to do that. I think at one stage I was seeing three different psychologists because they all gave me little different bits that I needed to be able to drag myself through that have a tribe. Have your friends, you don't have to share everything with them. I think the year that it first started only shared with two friends. I didn't let anyone else know. But I wanted to protect him as well. And I didn't know if we would stay together through what was going on, and people would judge him for what he was doing, so I didn't want to share it with people that might then if we stayed together, have.
Speaker 3: A different opinion of him. So I tried to keep that outside.
Speaker 4: And I think, you know, if you listen to anything by Brene Brown and where she talks about the value of trust, it was making sure that the people that I shared it with were then going to share it with other people because it wasn't their story to share. But then have the people that my friends that kept inviting me out even though I burst into tears with them every single time. You know, you need people like that.
Speaker 2: They're the good friends. They're the good ones.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly. And financials run your numbers, like, sit down and work it out. What's it look like now, what's it going to look like on a single wage? What funding is there out there for a single person? And this is I know, this is a female or mainly female audience that we talked to. But it's not just a female story there, you know, it does go vice versa. And then take your time, but have an end date. So I talk about the year that it was all happening, and I didn't want to believe it was happening. And then the next year was my year that I was like, well, it's happened. He's not changing his behavior. I don't accept his behavior. So I had to have a plan for getting out of it, and it took me that year to do it and to live and COVID happened in the middle of that as well. I had to live with that knowledge and we were presenting a different picture as soon as we stepped out of the house to what was happening behind closed doors. But I knew where I wanted to go, and I just had an end date. And that end date ticked over. It was the thirty first of December of that year, and the next day I was like, what now we've got to work on with the process of actually separating.
Speaker 3: Yeah, wow, and then use your type in that process as well. I figure route down there, Yeah.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent, that's when you need the most support.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think the only other two things I wrote down was that in that time, live like you already separated so financially wise that if you start to it was something I did when I was saving for the house.
Speaker 3: I put aside.
Speaker 4: The money as if that was my mortgage payment, and that became my deposit, and you then live like, well, I'm going to have to pay an electricity bill and that sort of thing.
Speaker 3: So that same idea that I'm going to.
Speaker 4: Have to live off a single wage, how is that going to look and actually live it? So you start to when you muck up, you've still got the two wages to be able to work around and go books, going to have to rework that little bit and then journal and budget.
Speaker 2: I love that. I feel like those are so powerful, and I feel like our community is so much richer having had your story shared in it. It's very very special that you've wanted to open up with us, and I'm so so grateful. But I'm also a bit confused because at the very start you said I think I'm a B minus or a C plus, And as much as you've gone through a lot and maybe you're not in the financial position you want to be. Like, from my perspective, you have so many of the good money you have. It's like you're doing all the right things. You're budgeting, your cash flowing, like you're caring about investing. We've spoken about your kid's attitude towards money, which you're heavily impacting. We've talked about the fact that you know that your confidence and your emotional wellbeing were not because of this, Like, how do you do you still think that you're really a B minus or a C plus? Because I'm not gonna lie, my friend, I can't see it.
Speaker 4: Well, maybe my knowledge is an A, but my effort is a C right spoken like a tru school DJ.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, of all people who should know how to grade efficiently and correctly after all this time, my friend, it should be you. But I do think you should be giving yourself some more credit because I have adored their story and I feel like there's been so much to have learned from it. Like I'm just I'm so proud that you're a part of our community and that you wanted to share this because I just know that there are going to be people in our community who are going to breathe a sigh of a relief at the end of this, and they're going to say, oh, at least it's not just me, or at least I'm not alone, or I'm at the start of this, and you know, She's worked it out, so can I. There are just so many people who are going to benefit from this, and I'm just so grateful. Thank you so much for your time today.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much for having me on. I have really enjoyed the process. And you know, sitting down and going through this and thinking about it, it gives you an idea of how you are traveling.
Speaker 2: I love it. Thank you so much. The advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for education purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice tailored towards your needs. Victoria Divine and Sheese on the Money are authorized representatives of Money Sherper Pty lt D a BN three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight AFSL four five one two, eight, nine,