Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud Order Order Kerni Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money, She's on the Money.
Speaker 4: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast that makes personal finance a lot less daunting and a lot more doable. I know investing can be an emotional ride. Every drop in the market can feel like a crisis. Those market swings can trigger all kinds of reactions, but making snap decisions can throw you completely off course. Today we're going to dive into how to keep your cool, ride out the turbulence, and stay on track with your long term goals. And I am very lucky to be joined by my very good friend Brooke Roberts from Cheesys, the investing platform that's helped everyone start small and think big. Brook with faced face. Finally no more Zoom Records. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's so good to be here and see you face to face too.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 4: So I feel like everyone in our community knows who you are, or they should know who you are. But for those of you who might not have met you, Brook, who are you?
Speaker 2: What do you do?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: How do you get on a Chase's podcasts? Yeah? How did I?
Speaker 5: So? I'm I see a mum of two, which is heaps of fun of a four and six year old, and they keep me very entertained actually in this day and age, and it's quite cool teaching them things. And outside of that, Yeah, one of the co founders and Coco's the Cheersy's, so there's Late and Sonya and I who are all CEOs. So we called ourselves the three Eohs.
Speaker 4: I got to go on your podcast the other day actually, and Sonya came into the office and that was very exciting and I was like, guess what I get?
Speaker 2: Brook in here?
Speaker 4: I just feel like I'm banking the Chasia's content. But you know, what everyone has been asking for it, And I was thinking back to the last time that you were on the show, which was honestly too long ago, and I know our community loved hearing your story because we dived more into that. We'll put it in the show notes so that we don't have to recub old territory. But it is incredible to have you back. So if you haven't listened to that episode, we will link it in the show notes and you guys can dive right into it. But Phil simp Brook, now we know exactly who you are. We've given them some more info so that they can dive further into you in your journey. But like what's been going on at Chasyas, I feel like there's been so much.
Speaker 5: There's been heaps going on at shares He's As. So you know, we set out to create financial apartment for everyone and there's a lot to do. We started with investing, and we see heaps more opportunities in creating, you know, more accessible money opportunities for people. We've got the ability to all to invest and roundup and heaps more coming in that space. And then we also are starting to do more with partnering with companies. So we have firm believers that in order to improve well for more people, they should be getting shares and the companies are working for so staffhold equal shareholders and that's a key thing that we're working on at the moment too.
Speaker 4: And that's Boogie. Did you ever think that it would get his bee? I mean, you don't set out to create an investing platform that has nobody investing, so you clearly thought like this is a good idea, but like this big Brook.
Speaker 5: Well yeah, there's like seven hundred thousand people that use shares Ease and have invested five billion all up. Oh yeah, we're managing over five billion, but there's so much more to go, like this is this So it honestly still feels that day for us.
Speaker 2: I love following a story.
Speaker 4: I'm more piercely an investor on the chaseas platform, and I feel like every time I do a money diaries like which are my favorite episodes of the show, I'm like, oh, okay, it's not a planted question. I'm always like do invest and they're like, oh, I'm with Sharezeas, and I'm like, here we go. More free plugs for shazas because everybody in the community.
Speaker 2: Is just obsessed and I am too.
Speaker 4: But investing is exactly what Shareseas is all about, and we are here today to talk about that. And I feel like long term investment is something we talk about a lot, but it can be really scary. Like at the end of the day, I think that we need to acknowledge that investing can be really overwhelming. But it's also not about the numbers. Investing is actually really emotional. In fact, I was talking about you today. Literally, I was talking about you today. I went to MCROB, which is a girls' school in Melbourne, and I was talking about the importance of financial literacy to a bunch of Grade tens, which is exactly what I want to be doing. And I was talking about how investing nowadays is so much more accessible, Like historically I was so scared to invest because the minimum investment amounts or like five hundred dollars. And don't get me wrong, a lot of people might go, be like five hundred dollars, that's not much for me. At that point in my life, that was like the most amount of money I'd ever had in my bank account.
Speaker 2: And I was saying to these girls.
Speaker 4: Like investing is not for the rich, like there is this platform shares this you can invest with as little as one cent.
Speaker 2: It is little. You're not even old enough to invest yet, but when you are, you're going to love this.
Speaker 4: And then I realized I get to see Brook later, so that was very cool. But it is such an emotional journey. It's literally your hard earned cash, your dreams, and all of your I guess future wrapped up in one which then feels overwhelming. Whether you're saving for your first home that's a few years away, or your kid's education, which I'm now thinking about and that's really overwhelming, or building a like retirement nest egg. Your investments are representative of I guess, all your dreams and hopes and goals, and when you're asked to make a plan for that overwhelming Brook. That's why literally every market move can make me feel sick. I am an ex financial advisor, as you know, and I still log into my investing platform and if it is down, like if I log into chairs EA's and see that I've lost some money on the shed market, I still get that twang in the bottom.
Speaker 2: Of my stomach.
Speaker 4: I'm like oh, and then I'm like Victoria you're smarter than this, but I experience it, so I have no doubt that our community is. And I mean when my portfolio is up, I'm like, yeah, I'm a big dog investor.
Speaker 2: Look at that, look at that.
Speaker 4: But when it's down, it feels like, oh my gosh, what have I done? Have I like on the absolute wrong thing. So, Brooke, in your experience as an investor yourself, I'm assuming on Charez eas where do you see this emotional rollercoaster getting people completely off track?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so investing money is emotional. You know, money, like you said, creates opportunities in life or doesn't. You know, We've got the beliefs we have around money from what we've watched and the households when we're growing up, and how how we feel about it is really tied to a lot of emotions really, and when it comes to an investing often there's a whole barrage of new emotions in a way, like there's a lot of excitement thinking about your future and it's exciting getting into investing and feeling like, oh, you're taking control of your money or you're doing something that's going to help future you. But the other part, too is investing can be quite overwhelming. There's hundreds of thousands options out there now, like you said, there it used to be like a minimum of ten thousand dollars needed. Now it's not.
Speaker 4: You're literally changing it so that we can all have the same opportunities.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was a core belief of you know, one thing we just would not walk past is that we had to make sure there was no minimum investment so everybody could feel like they're an investor and also just invest the way that you expect, Like, if you want to put a certain amount of money into it, you can. You don't have to have to calculate a share or you know, like and have random scenes on that stuff.
Speaker 4: But like, I love it because I just remember Baby Victoria trying to invest for the first time, and it was really overwhelming because I was a financial advisor, and I feel like it's the story of like the plumber always has a leaky type, right, So, like, as a financial advisor, I knew what I should be doing, and I knew what we were advising our clients to do. But I didn't have ten million dollars like my clients. So my clients had these beautiful well diversified portfolios of like you know, ten to twelve direct shares. I couldn't give myself instant diversification. I didn't have any cash brook I was like five hundred dollars still too much. I remember seeing like some managed funds that had minimum investments of ten grand, and they'd be like, must be nice, Like that'll.
Speaker 5: Never be me.
Speaker 4: But now I can literally buy that same managed fund on your platform for literally one cent and get that same exposure, and like that to me is kind of wild. And I have looked up managed funds that were previously out of reach and like bought them on Chares's just cause like you can buy man Like, does it make up most of my strategy? No, it absolutely does not. Is it really fun to feel like I own that? Yes, Like I'm a little shareholder in that.
Speaker 6: Ha.
Speaker 4: But you didn't see that coming, baby, Victoria.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's funny when you say, like I had this thing when we first started, there's this thing, and when you're creating companies to your own dog food, like it's like, when you're creating something, make sure that you're a real mega user of it so you can see the areas where it's not working. Well or it's working really well. But I had this thing around empathy. So as we rolled up more and more investment options, I have this thing where I was like, oh, I need a bit of everything nearly because I want to if somebody comes up to me and starts talking about this investment, I want to feel the empathy and know like the journey that I've been on and now I have, you know, simplified it a lot because it started to get a bit extreme.
Speaker 2: That's literally.
Speaker 4: Like if you showed me your platform and you had something that I didn't have, a be like, oh, she's real smart. Maybe I should have that too, Like is there any logic to it? No, because I literally know my stuff when it comes to investing, but like that looks.
Speaker 5: Cool, and what we both know is consistency pays off over time, and time is the most value ware spect of money. I think when we started Cheesy's, we really built it around that philosophy, and we would do heaps of content and education in terms of trying to counteract what people call behavioral five. So like the loss of version, feeling like off it goes down that you've lost, but actually you don't lock in a loss until you decide to sell, and I need.
Speaker 2: To be reminded of that. It's crazy.
Speaker 4: We talk about it a lot obviously at She's on the Money. It's only a loss if you're choosing to take it. Yeah, I don't choose that right now, Like I'm walking away from that brook. We talk a lot about strategy at Cheese on the Money and just buying random shares not a good strategy. Orbit it can be fun and literally when they're one scent like you can, but I want to know more about yours, Like, tell me about your strategy. How do you keep your emotions in check when you're investing? Because I feel like you and I are both just inherently emotional people. I don't want to lose something, but like what happens when you see that you maybe are a little bit down?
Speaker 5: Yeah, share, So the key thing is, Yeah, investing is for the long term. And I think the key strategy that we really designed Cheeses for early on too was dollar cost averaging, So investing every pay day and that's you can't afford and it builds over time. As you know, there's massive power in compound interest, in compounding returns, and literally that time just pays off. So I invest like that for my children and I never do anything else. It's automatically every week money going into the investment portfolios, and they consistently upperform me because because I do majority dollar cost averaging. But there's things where I'm just like, oh, I actually want to know what that's like, you know, and I will invest a little bit. But the important thing for me though, and the way that I manage my emotions is I don't take big bets, Like I make sure that I'm building over time, I'm not over exposed in one area and that I'm just sticking to a habit and in anything else on top is something where I'm willing to take a bit more risk potentially more return, but I know that that consistency is going to work in the long run, no matter the peaks and flows of the market at the time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I feel like everyone's always surprised when I talk about my investment strategy because I think that there's this expectation that you know, if I gave you the log into my shares these platform, you'd probably see this really comprehensive list of six million different options. And like Victoria's so smart and like knows what to pick, and you'd actually log in, you'd see some really weird stock picks. You'd be like, why has she got this? And I can share them with you later because we don't make recommendations on the podcast. But then a majority of my portfolio is split among two ETFs. Yeah, and I think people are always like, wait, what, like you just invest in ETFs, and I'm like yes, because I would love to think that I'm intelligent, but I am not smarter than the people that pull together ets. I've got one International, I've got one Australian, and that is currently where most of my wealth sits. And then I have my little satellite. It's that core satellite approach where I've got those satellite ones because brook it's fun. Like there's this like biopharmaceutical company that I've been following since twenty twenty is not done well.
Speaker 5: This is why you.
Speaker 2: Shouldn't recommend Yeah, exactly exactly.
Speaker 4: But I got this biofarmer company and would I recommend it?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: But I put money in it and I'm not going to pull it out at a loss. I don't need that money right now, but I look at it and I just go I'm glad that I didn't make that recommendation because that was a punt, and I'm so glad. I just have that core portfolio that every month I just add two and it kind of tracks along, and I know future me is going to be okay, but I'm not always chasing. Okay, Well, what's the next thing I should invest in to create wealth? Like I'm going to be screwed if I don't. Yeah, I know, I'm fine, but I do still like to have a little bit of fun.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and we're in the industry, right, so of course, like we're a bit more tuned in some ways to what you know.
Speaker 2: I thought I was a genius.
Speaker 4: I'll talk to you about this off air, but I read all of their annual reports. I did a deep dive into who their CEO was, where he used to work. The fact that this biopharmaceutical company deals with this particular health condition and the CEO has it like he is using their treatment.
Speaker 2: I'm just like I've cracked. Yeah, it's gone down.
Speaker 4: I think I bought in it like a dollar thirteen per share and it's like a twenty six cents or something.
Speaker 2: So is that a good share for you to buy?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 2: You might be though.
Speaker 5: When we studied finance and when we were getting access to this world, I remember all of my research saying in all of the academic papers saying that buying and holding up performs that buys us out buy and women typically are way better at investing and taking a long term approach with it. And we know that that strategy pays off significantly more over time than somebody who's are actively trading. And so I think that that hopefully helps relieve some of that comfort when you've got those feelings around haven't made the right choice of it? You know, it's are you happy with the investments you've made? Are you diversified enough to wither storms? And is it money that you're happy to invest in the long term? Knowing that markets will go up and down, but traditionally over time they are trending up in the long term, do you.
Speaker 4: Put some blinkers on, like are you looking at what other people are doing? Are you looking at what your investors are doing? I feel like blinkers for me are really helpful, but other people using their strategy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so a lot of people on Cheesy's aort to invest that to invest and abording their portfolio over time. That's the vast majority. I don't get caught up in the hypeie things. I just know that I feel like it's all over social media.
Speaker 4: Yeah, have you seen the most recent stuff about the day trading and how that's going to create ultimate wealth?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: It kills me because you see these posts from people who genuinely think that they're helping, they have no finance background, and then you see people commenting like, oh my gosh, yes, please tell me more.
Speaker 2: I'd love to.
Speaker 4: Create wealth, and you just go, this is a scam. Like, yes, some people can create money in day trading, but it is not a long term solution. In fact, most people who day trade lose more money than they make. And you just go, if you're so worried, go down a very classic pathway. Like the best type of investments I've seen over my career have been the most boring ones.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Like I remember one client brook, I inherited them from another financial advisor who'd retired, and they had BHP shares, and like that could be a little bit topical because OBVIOUSLYHP, like it's a fossil fuel company and a lot of people might not agree with that, and the person I was advising was actually morally not okay with it. I mean, there's a bigger conversation. He'd inherited them from his grandfather, but when we looked at it, it was just this tried, true blue chip stock that had paid off over time, and the way that he held them was really complicated for me as a financial advisor because they'd bought them when you bought them in British pounds, like way back when they had originally listed, and you could see from that period of time like how much it had grown, how many dividends it had brought in, and it was a bigger conversation, but it was just incredible to see such a long term portfolio and how it had provided wealth for this family, and it was like, this is genius. But I can still do it today because these companies are still growing, like these options are still on the table, and I just remember thinking, yeah, maybe I.
Speaker 2: Do need to invest a little bit more.
Speaker 4: After seeing that, it wasn't impressed that I had to do the currency conversion from way back in the day though. That was a little bit of a meth around, but it was fun nonetheless.
Speaker 5: And it's interesting the emotional side of that legacy left too, and going, well, this is what my grandparents believed in. Yeah, you know, should I continue because it's their essets that I'm getting on, or should I got my way? And I think that's another interesting element. You know, there's a lot of emotion when it's passed down.
Speaker 4: And I think it's important to remember that your values can control how you invest. I mean, that's what that conversation was about. Like, the BHP shares was something that my client was not that happy with because he was like, that's not ethical. I don't want to have my wealth being generated by this company. But to dispose of those shares after such a significant time holding them, the capital gains tax was astronomical, and so it just didn't make sense to sell an asset because you would have to pay so much in tax. But what strategy can we implement to counteract that? And we ultimately ended up having, you know, any new acquisitions were all very ethical, and he started investing some of the money he was making from BHP into environmental charities which were then working against BHP, which was quite funny because it was like, eh, swighing it up, and you feel good about this. We've got a strategy, but everyone's strategy is going to be different, right, Like, at the end of the day, we have been chatting for a while and I could talk underwater with a mouthful of marbles about investing, and I.
Speaker 2: Know that you could too.
Speaker 4: We've covered why investing can feel a bit like an emotional rollercoaster and how it can completely derail. Let's be honest, even the best laid plans, like you just get overly emotional and then you're like, I should sell brook. One of the things that we say on this podcast all the time is when in doubt, zoom out, Like when in doubt, look at the bigger picture, like it could feel trash. I was looking at a chart this morning and one of my favorite resources. Sorry it's not the Chesy's website, but you can replicate this or create your own version for me. It is the Vanguard Interactive Index Chart.
Speaker 2: Have you seen that? Adore it?
Speaker 4: So it's on their website and you can kind of put in your own dates and your own asset classes and shows how it would perform over time and historicals and if you put in any thirty year period, you can see that long term investors have never lost so any thirty year period. But then you know, if I put in my birthday, which was the thirtieth of June nineteen ninety one, great date for a finance girly literally, right, I put that in, and over that period of time, you can see the drop in the share market when the global financial crisis happened. And we know that that is spoken about. You know, two thousand and eight was obviously horrific. People lost their homes, people lost their money, like that's the worst thing ever. You might even listen to your parents' generation. They're like that ruined us, that you know, ruined my friend. But then when you zoom out, that's actually just now a blip in the performance chart, like our economy has recovered and then some and when you look back, obviously there was some really big flaws in the American financial system for that to happen.
Speaker 2: But the and you know that a lot.
Speaker 4: Of people during that period of time lost a lot of money because of their emotions. It wasn't because they were poorly invested. It was because they saw all of this housing stuff happen and they started to freak out. And because the market was reflective of other people's poor decisions. Even really good performing stocks started to dip because market sentient was that, oh, this is scary, So good quality shares were dropping, and those people that owned those good quality shares were freaking out and they were like, oh my gosh, Brook, I'm just going to sell today because I'm going to put all in my savings account and then I will feel secure. But you can see this chart and how it completely rebounds and some more so, a lot of people that lost a lot of money during the global financial crisis weren't actually impacted, but they were scared. And I think that that's a really good story to tell. To go, well, you need to zoom out and have a look at the bigger picture, Like is this just another situation where so many people are terrified. So many people are so scared to lose their wealth, which makes sense, like we do have to do some education around this, But they actually shot themselves in the foot by transferring their wealth that was going to recover into cash which then hasn't really performed.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that's an interesting important part that people should understand. It's like the reason markets move is purely because of our and our motions, you know, it's actually not mad some information and you're well, now do I believe in this company or the fun?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 5: And your buy sale. And I think there's obviously the big companies at play and institutions, but as individuals too, it's like, yeah, zoom out, do we believe in this investment we're making in the long term? Do we believe in this fun, this country, whatever it might be where you're exposed all these companies. You know, we are actually typically good at just buying and holding and not being to a motive. And that was a lot of the like crap would get at the start of chesies, to be honest, is that people don't know what to do, and you know they've got to be sophistcurated.
Speaker 2: It's like, well, now you seven people that know what to do.
Speaker 5: It's ophisticated when the majority of their mar which is you know, like that because it's.
Speaker 2: Brook you are female, jeez, Louise.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we never get to ten thousand customers and all that sort of jebs.
Speaker 4: I mean, you don't have ten thousand. We've got seven hundred two thousand growing.
Speaker 2: Oh, I love it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right, let's go to a really quick break on the flip side. We're going to dive into some practical steps you can take to keep those emotions in check and make sure that you're on the right path to reaching your financial goal.
Speaker 2: So guys, stay tuned, Welcome back.
Speaker 4: So we've been talking about the emotional ups and downs of investing, but now Brook, it is time that we get practical. I'm not a podcast that just motivates people, like, we actually need to give them practical steps and things that they can do to implement this. Do you know there's nothing worse and you've probably done it because like I feel like you are a ted talk early, Like you're the same as me. Like I love a motivational talk. I love watching other people speak, love going to a conference. There is nothing worse than walking out of a conference being like, I'm so motivated, she was so great. I don't know what to do, Like, we need to give people the tips and tricks that they can implement to actually get stuff done. I mean you're clearly doing it, because not only are you empowering people to invest, you're like, here's the actual investment platform, like you lead a horse.
Speaker 5: To Yeah, yeah, I like it.
Speaker 4: I like it Picasso. So now it's super easy to say, you know, we need to be investing for long term. We're talking about that before. But let's be really real, it's tough to stay motivated. Like you can walk out of the motivational presentation, you can listen to the podcast, you can be like investing Brook it's for me, yeah, And then life gets in the way and you just feel like the payoff is so far down the road. What's it going to take to compound nicely? Like seven to ten years? Like that just feels so far off. But how did you keep yourself pushing forward when you first started your investing journey and what helped you stay engaged and don't lose any focus even when progress sometimes feels slow And like I checked it yesterday and I've earned nothing.
Speaker 5: Honestly, the best thing to keep me on track is automation. Like that's literally about investing all the time.
Speaker 4: Why not I do, Welcome to the money. It's not that sexy though, No, no, no, not everybody you.
Speaker 5: Know and for most people too. It's just like the best way of managing money is having really good habits, essentially, and for me, it's about automation. So I have my autumn best set up if I was here in Australia, I'd be definitely doing roundups. We don't have that in New Zealand yet.
Speaker 4: But in New Zealand you also have investing for kids, and we don't have that. Exactly is we could do a little bit of a swat seat, let them have roundups and they can let us have investing for kids.
Speaker 5: That's exactly what we're working on the structure on at the moment. Yeah, and so just automatic investing, because I really want to make sure we're giving back because when you're investing, you're helping, you know, companies create jobs and for all this vision they have for the world that you want to have, you know, come to life. And also on funds too, you know. And so I think their automation for me is the biggest way that just makes me relax. I'm like, well, I know I'm putting a ctona amount of where I'm happy to every payday, and that's fine.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: Yes, I might dabble on the side and do the satellite approach as we're talking about before, but that is the consistency and that is why I just sleep easy.
Speaker 4: And I think that's why I'm so clear about the approach I take because I don't want people hearing me go, oh my gosh, yeah, I did this research into this like farmer company or whatever. I'm thinking that that's the investing journey. It's not like my portfolio is so boring. But then I do some fun things and the fun things happen, not because you have to do that, but because Brookware on cheese on the money. I'm obsessed with the sher market. I love chatting about it. I love seeing what's going on. I really love good companies yeah people, and I really love reading an annual report. But that's not for everybody. And that's why I I guess Chazy's exists. And I feel like I'm a walking like billboard for Chass because whenever people are like, so what should I do, I'm like, well, sit down, so have you heard of Chazy? Literally, because I'm just like, not everybody wants to be as technical, and you can be, but sometimes you just want the spark notes version. I want you to tell me what does this company do, how does it do it? Where can I find it? You know, what are the spark notes of this? And that's what the Chasi's platform does. And then all of this other stuff I'm doing in the background. I guess a good question that I have for you. I mean, I think it's good because it's my question. It's going to be great.
Speaker 2: You're a CEO. That's pretty big dog.
Speaker 4: Are you investing differently now that you're a CEO than when you were just a salary and wage earning employee. Is there like some kind of like I'm cracking the code because now I have lots of money coming in? Or am I cracking the code because now I have a you know, really fancy career. I feel like people seem to think that because you have a very fancy job title, your investment portfolio must be oodle's more complicated.
Speaker 5: I would say it's changed more from being a founder and going through the process of starting a company that then I'm more exposed to other startups and things like that that I want to, you know, in a small way with a group of friends, we are trying to get more female shareholders and companies. We're going to talk about this offer. Honestly, I wanted to invest. I looked at platforms in New Zealand, but my first investments were through staff share scheme. So zero I got shares from working there, and that was my first actual ownership of a share, And so it wasn't till Chares is that I got to start investing and then we got to create it the way that But that's really cool. Yeah, but I was so ashamed that it wasn't there when we were younger. But I'm just so stoked it.
Speaker 2: But it wasn't as accessible.
Speaker 5: I mean, I did the same calculations you did, and I was just like, the cost of the transaction wasn't going to be worth the amount.
Speaker 4: Of money Anchorage was astronomical, Like, there's no way that when I started, I could have afforded to invest in the way that we recommend now, right, Like you spoke before about dolar cost averaging. For those of you who are like, oh my gosh, like I have not listened to enough Sheese on the money. That's essentially where you invest consistently and regularly, so that even if it's a good time in the market, you're investing. When it's a bad time in the market, you're investing, so that on average we can get access to all of the best days in the market. Whereas if I could time the market brook I'd be so rich, so would you like, we wouldn't even have to have investing platforms because we would be Warren Buffett.
Speaker 2: But we're not.
Speaker 4: Nobody can time the market, and the second best thing to timing the market is time in the market. So dolar cost averaging is literally making sure that you're investing consistently so that you know, if the market goes down, you get the little discount. If it's up, it's not so worrying because last month you got the discount and all averages out. But when I started my journey, that wasn't an option. I had to like get my money together. I worked out out what brokerage was going to cost, and it was going to be way too astronomical to do dollar cost averaging, and so then I had this additional stress of working out, well I can only afford to basically invest. I think it was like four times a year because of the amount of money I was investing, and I'm like, when's the best time? And then I get analysis paralysis. I remember one year being like I haven't invested at all because like I just couldn't find a time and dumping all my money in. And then something happened and I was like great, Like I didn't get that control. The idea that you can just do this for so cheap and so easy now to me is kind of wild brook. We've covered a lot today, from I guess the highs of market gains to the loads of like the nerve wracking dips. I still get that pit in the bottom of my stomach. But here are the golden rules. So keep your cool when in doubt, throom out, stay focused on the long term game, and let compound interest do what it does best, and that's making your money make even more money.
Speaker 5: Like I love that saying. It's like you can't work twenty four seven, but your money can. And it's like that's what happens. Your money starts earning money, that creates money, and it's incredible. Over time, you've typically compounded more money. Your money's made more money than you ever started putting in or even put in. I wish I could show that graf visually right now, but it's so important, like I think, for people to understand.
Speaker 2: So sorry, no, no, no, no, I love it.
Speaker 4: In the presentation that I did this morning, I was talking to the group of girls and I was so excited about it, and I was like, would anyone say no to a million dollars of free money? And they're all like no, obviously, because like we're not crazy, Like that's fine. But I was like, if you invest every single month for your entire career, five hundred dollars each and every single month, whether that is in your Keywi saver or it is in your superannuation, like, or you just want to do it externally, five hundred dollars every single month over that period of time, that becomes two hundred and forty thousand dollars. And they're all like, oh, that's a lot of money, and I'm like, yeah, I know, but that's just if you saved it. If you invested it with an average rate of return of seven and a half percent, which we know it's not it's more than that, but we like to be conservative, that becomes one point two to five million dollars. So I'm telling you that if you invested instead of saved that same amount of money, you could have a million dollars for free just by waiting.
Speaker 2: I love money.
Speaker 4: I want a million dollars for free, brook And I guess that's why to me it's so powerful, because that's what gives women in particular power, And I've never met anyone who's like, oh, yeah, when women get financially literate, world's a worst place. Like every time a woman becomes more financially literate, our entire world becomes a better place. Women help women. I'm seeing it literally in you. You're like, oh my gosh, now that I am a CEO, I have the funds to get together with my friends and help other women get into business or get them funded, Like this is happening around the world. Isn't that cool that you get to not only be a part of it in that aspect, but your investing platform is going to create these women into millionaires.
Speaker 5: I love that saying a rising time floats all boats, you know, And I think the there's so much more to do to empower more people to have more excess to opportunities.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I say that all the time.
Speaker 4: I feel like you and I are just like you're the blonde version of my brunette, because like I always say, a rising tide lifts all shits. Oh no, and like I'm always like no, no, no, Like it doesn't matter. We're all on the same page. Like there's more than enough out there like and that quote about like you don't make your light shine brighter by dimming somebody else's. I really like that one too. But now we've moved on to quotes, I think it's time to move off the show because I want to talk about investing for kids, which you know watch this space She's on the Money community. But Brooke, as always, it has been an absolute pleasure having you on the show.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for sharing your wisdom with our community.
Speaker 4: Before you say goodbye, though, I obviously have to do a completely shameless plug. If you haven't joined chares E's, please don't forget that. If you sign up to Shares's using the code STM, you get a free ten dollars in your account to invest with. And did you see Brook the other day, our co host on our Wednesday episodes. Beck started investing and she now has eleven dollars invested, and I am so excited because ten of that was free.
Speaker 5: Be for real.
Speaker 4: We basically funded her entire investment portfolio so fast. I loved that, all right, Thank you, Brook, It has.
Speaker 2: Been a pleasure.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much. Appreciate it.
Speaker 6: The advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice.
Speaker 2: Tailored towards your needs.
Speaker 6: Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of money SHERPA pty Ltd ABN three two one is six four nine two seven seven.
Speaker 2: Zero eight a f s L four five one two eight nine
Speaker 1: Hmm